Menu

how is 2nd semester going?

HollyDay

My 2nd semester senior nursing major is drowning in work. Her school structures it such that seniors complete a 6-credit class (their last big clinical) during the first 8 weeks of the semester. This enables students to dedicate the last 8 weeks of the semester to their practicum and test prep for their board exam (NCLEX). 

She is a very strong student, but also a perfectionist. I think she will be just fine, but she’s dotting every i and crossing every t to an obsessive level!

On the flip side, she is having fun ordering her cap & gown, making plans for a post-commencement celebration, choosing graduation announcements, etc. She is also planning to move to an exciting new location to take her first job and get her first apartment. Very exciting times!

• Like 7

My senior is excited about graduation but he ended up with two online classes from another university (he has fulfilled all his graduation requirements but is taking these two as additional coursework to sit for the CPA exam). He hasn’t had online classes since high school and he has had a fair amount of administrative junk to deal with. Like getting a notice he would be dropped from classes for failing to buy a parking permit for the school he is taking classes online from. He hasn’t had the easiest time getting up and going on those but he is a good student and will figure it out. Very excited about his last baseball season ever and graduation.

My second ds is in his second year away but is technically a first semester senior. He is doing okay. I think. He is working a lot but is able to use his job to fulfill and internship requirement so he really only has four classes. One is a statistics 2 class he dropped the first time he attempted it so I hope that goes ok this time. He said he is required to attend a math lab with a TA two hours each week because he is a second attempt student. I think that will help. We’ll see. I am hoping that when the schedule for fall comes out it will work out so that he can get his remaining classes in so he can graduate in December.

• Like 8

2nd semester of sophomore year, Music Ed here. It is a brutal schedule but dd is handling it so far. She is doing research with her partner on sexual misconduct in music education, and they got all their approvals so they are getting surveys and such. It will be a nation-wide study. I think that is energizing her. 

• Like 6

My are commuter students, but it seems to be going well so far.

My kid with the double major is taking two capstone courses and two electives, so it probably is going to be pretty rough as the semester goes on.

My younger one snagged a plum part-time job related to her major. She's in a training seminar now, and then will be working after Spring Break. Very cool! 

• Like 6

On 1/30/2020 at 8:03 AM, perkybunch said:

My dd is second semester freshman year.  This semester the learning curve is shorter and she is staying very nicely caught up and even ahead of her work.  She has friends in all of her classes, and she has time this semester to attend a club that she is really enjoying.  So everything is good so far.

This has been my dd's experience as well.  She transferred in some credits so at the end of this semester, she will be a sophomore even though it is her first year at university.  She is enjoying school more this semester and likes dorm life

• Like 4

My sophomore is having a much better second year than first. Her grades have always been solid, but she had trouble finding her tribe last year. She has really connected with a good group of girls in her nursing program. They’re a great support system for one another, and they have a ton of fun together. It is such a huge relief; she was pretty miserable last year and I wasn’t optimistic she would stick it out at her school. I’m so happy she did. 

• Like 6

My son is trying to repeat a class he did poorly in.  Apparently a higher grade is just not meant to be.  I may suggest he drop the class by drop date (March something) if he doesn't improve.  It is a waste of his time at this point, unless he can pull it together.

He may get off of Academic probation, but he has shot his chances at getting any sort of a scholarship to his next school.  He did really well Freshman year at another school, then transferred, and has plummeted.  

One reason we are hopeful about the Disney College Program Internship is that we feel he needs a bit of a gap year, and maybe a community college semester or two and then, once he figures things out, go back to a 4 year school.

He seems quite unfazed by the dramatic drop in grades.......sigh.

• Sad 6

ds2 just finished up J-term and is getting ready to start second semester. He took one too many classes last semester and has reduced his load for this semester. So he is hoping for better results. Not terrible last semester, just not up to his capabilities. The 6th class was just one class too many. And he didn't discuss accomodations or his LDs with his professors- sigh. He understands the need to do that now.

He has a service trip planned for spring break, so I might drive up to see him next month, weather depending.

• Like 4

DawnM    I hope he is selected for the Disney College program! Something like 1 in 4 chance, based on a number you had given previously? That's a pretty good shot.   Whether or not he is selected for the Disney College Program, would he possibly be interested in Enlisting in the Air Force Reserve or North Carolina Air National Guard or some other Reserve component?  He would attend the same Technical Schools that people who Enlist for years attend. He would also qualify for some Educational benefits, especially with time. Possibly that would be a place for him to "grow".  My cousin, an eminent M.D. in his Specialty, enlisted in the USMC, twice, before going to college and then to Medical School. 

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

DawnM    I hope he is selected for the Disney College program! Something like 1 in 4 chance, based on a number you had given previously? That's a pretty good shot.   Whether or not he is selected for the Disney College Program, would he possibly be interested in Enlisting in the Air Force Reserve or North Carolina Air National Guard or some other Reserve component?  He would attend the same Technical Schools that people who Enlist for years attend. He would also qualify for some Educational benefits, especially with time. Possibly that would be a place for him to "grow".  My cousin, an eminent M.D. in his Specialty, enlisted in the USMC, twice, before going to college and then to Medical School. 

No, no interest in military service.   

Interestedly enough, I looked this up (he has been on ADHD meds in the past, and SHOULD go on them again, but that is not something for me to argue about on this board, he is 20 and I am not forcing anything)

https://www.additudemag.com/uncle-sam-doesnt-want-you/

However, the above is NOT the reason he isn't interested in joining any military services.  

He has a Plan B at this point, so we are happy with that.

• Like 3

My son is a 2nd semester freshman currently studying music performance and comp sci.  He made dean's list first semester so although some adjustments were difficult, he got straight A's including in two weeder classes that have a rep.  Dean's list is considered hard at his university (>3.8).  He is carrying 2-3 more credits this semester but I think that will be fine given the load.  He doesn't love dorm life and signed on to live in an apartment with a couple other academically minded students for next fall.  His roomie seems to be taking school a little more seriously this semester so far so hopefully he won't be as annoying.  😂  He was staying up until all hours and sleeping until the afternoon, skipping classes, etc.  I'm sure the roomie is on academic probation.  My kid is applying for some summer internship type opportunities.  On the arts end, not the comp sci end this summer.  He may try and take a class online through his university this summer.  This double major is pretty intense.   A lot of schools where he applied said you could double major with music but then faculty strongly discouraged to your face.  He really wanted the opportunity and I think he can pull it off. He may want to stay next summer.  Seems reasonably happy with these majors right now, though really wants to take a wide variety of classes as well.

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, ByeByeMartha said:

She's dealt with group stuff before  (clubs, etc.) but this is her first college group project and she's so upset that the other 2 guys are not pulling their weight at all and they are already behind on this 10 wk project. I recommended she talk to the teacher, do whatever work she can on her own and perhaps go to the campus resource center for assistance. It's painful to watch her go through this. If anyone has any wisdom to share (besides backing off) I'd love to hear it and share it w/DD.

According to my dc (who had a similar situation), she should go to her instructor, politely explain the situation, and ask what she should do.  The instructor may just tell her to tough it out, but it's also possible the instructor may reassign her to a more functional  group or may apply some pressure to the other members.  The important thing is to handle it maturely and soon.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ByeByeMartha said:

She's been assigned to a group project w/2 guys--one who is hardly in class and doesn't respond to the group e-mails...the other one not much better. She's dealt with group stuff before  (clubs, etc.) but this is her first college group project and she's so upset that the other 2 guys are not pulling their weight at all and they are already behind on this 10 wk project. I recommended she talk to the teacher, do whatever work she can on her own and perhaps go to the campus resource center for assistance. It's painful to watch her go through this. If anyone has any wisdom to share (besides backing off) I'd love to hear it and share it w/DD.

My DD had this happen freshman year.  She ended up doing about 80% of the work at least.  One guy slept through class most days and the other one rarely showed up to planned meetings to do work together.  I have no idea who thinks group projects are a good idea.  It's either the lazy jerks or the control freaks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DD had a group presentation/paper last semester. I didn't hear many details other than she ended up picking their topic because no one else would & that she survived.

This semester seems like more homework. Plus, challenging classes, of course. Last month, she was also busy applying for summer internships, a part-time job for the fall, and maybe some REUs (but I don't think she actually did these since most required short essays & letters of req.). Because of applications she filled out, she possibly has an interesting part time job. Maybe. I'm not really clear what it is or if she has been hired yet -- I'm just happy she's happy & thriving. 

Tips for making it better? Send more chocolate.

• Like 3