Menu

10th grade for 2020-2021!

On 5/17/2020 at 12:42 PM, JadeOrchidSong said:

If you plan US history for 10th grade, what will you use! I am still looking for ideas. 

Ds15 did Notgrass America the Beautiful for 6th and 7th grade. I have CLE 8th grade US history and the older edition Notgrass high school US history. I also have Hakim's A History of US, but probably won't use it. 

We are using Dave Raymond's American History. 

• Like 1

This is still a work in progress, but so far we’ve planned:

Math: Geometry (myhomeschoolmathclass)

Science: Chemistry (Clover Valley)

History: World History Our Human Story maybe add map work of some kind?

Lit/writing: No clue. Using IEW this year but may change it up. Really need to figure out lit too as my plan this year wasn’t hugely successful. 

Electives: no idea—maybe logic? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My 10th grader this fall is young, but self-disciplined.  Some of these are outsourced with a local tutorial

Bible Survey
Chemistry
Algebra 2
Western Civ (part 2)
British Lit. 
Understanding the Faith

Extracurriculars:  Basketball

I will also have a less academically inclined 11th grader:

Bible - TBD
British Lit. 
Geometry
US History
Japanese 2 - WTMA

Life Skills - Driver's License and possibly work

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Life Skills - Driver's License and possibly work

Yes, this! My Dd will be getting her driver's permit and driving lots with Dh. First "real" job too. She wants to work at Chick Fil A bc lots of friends work there and bc the scheduling and culture are not as challenging as many restaurants'.

Since we are likely adding Home Ec, this year will have a strong life skills emphasis for my Dd.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 1:42 PM, JadeOrchidSong said:

If you plan US history for 10th grade, what will you use! I am still looking for ideas. 

Ds15 did Notgrass America the Beautiful for 6th and 7th grade. I have CLE 8th grade US history and the older edition Notgrass high school US history. I also have Hakim's A History of US, but probably won't use it. 

We will be using Dave Raymond's American History.  I also bought American's Founding Fathers and The American West from The Great Courses as a supplement if my son wants more.

• Like 1

Anyone changing plans due to CV?

We still have some things up in the air and need to switch umbrella schools. 
I am very  thankful to have two classes at home and one with WHA. So at least three classes are predictable  in schedule and qualily! 

52 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I am very  thankful to have two classes at home and one with WHA. So at least three classes are predictable  in schedule and qualily! 

We have 2 outsourced on-line classes (one planned and one that was supposed to be in-person, but they opened up a full on-line class for the year).  We are also signed up for in-person Spanish, but will have to find an alliterative to do at home if they don't allow an on-line option for the whole year.  We are not committing to anything outside the home for the full school year.  The rest were planned at home.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

I am very  thankful to have two classes at home and one with WHA. So at least three classes are predictable  in schedule and quality! 

We had planned a full slate of DE courses, but went with Blue Tent AP for two of the the 3 core classes. The one DE class we have left is a lab science. If that goes online before or shortly after classes start, we'll switch to anatomy, which can be done at home more easily. We're hoping for some hands-on lab experience, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MamaSprout said:

We had planned a full slate of DE courses, but went with Blue Tent AP for two of the the 3 core classes. The one DE class we have left is a lab science. If that goes online before or shortly after classes start, we'll switch to anatomy, which can be done at home more easily. We're hoping for some hands-on lab experience, though.

We too are hopeful ng hands-on lab experience still happens. Chemistry for Dd. 

On 5/18/2020 at 11:24 AM, egao_gakari said:

Planning for his younger sis is pretty solid, but with this kid so much is up in the air still. Argh.

ELA: He'll do New World Literature and Rhetoric I at WTMA.

History: Story of Civilization Vol 4 (American History) with a weekly primary source assignment.

Everything else: We are assuming that the local community college will be open in September, and I'm going to try dual-enrollment for him. He can take 6 credits per semester there. However, he has to pass the PERT test in order to take non-remedial STEM/English courses, so until he actually takes that test (all cancelled right now AFAIK) I'm hamstrung. I know he'll take ASL there. If he passes the PERT, he'll take College Algebra first semester. That's the pre-req to take Chemistry in the second semester.

I'm hoping that a semester-based system, with fewer courses to keep track of, will be a helpful thing for him. He's had a really rough year with executive functioning. He just can't figure out how to keep track of everything that's due and then he misses assignments and his grade drops and he gets very discouraged. He thinks he's working hard, but he's constantly dividing his attention (listening to podcasts, answering texts, etc). I think next year we will take away phones during school hours. They've gotten away with a lot this year insisting that they "need" the phones for this or that school-related purpose, but in the end I know they could find non-phone workarounds and they'll be more productive. I wish I weren't working so many hours so I could be overseeing them more 😞 

Well, PERTs are cancelled until December, so he won't be taking any STEM courses in first semester. So I signed him up for Chem at WTMA, and we'll do (redo) Alg 2 (Saxon) at home. I'm concerned he didn't really grasp the concepts this past year with Life of Fred.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

We too are hopeful ng hands-on lab experience still happens. Chemistry for Dd. 

Same here. She's done microchem and really needs the hands on lab.

The campus just announced to staff that everyone will be in masks this fall in public, indoor spaces. I'm hopeful it will keep transmission down enough to get our quick-no-breaks-and-done-at-Thanksgiving semester done.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, egao_gakari said:

Well, PERTs are cancelled until December, so he won't be taking any STEM courses in first semester. So I signed him up for Chem at WTMA, and we'll do (redo) Alg 2 (Saxon) at home. I'm concerned he didn't really grasp the concepts this past year with Life of Fred.

The schools here have canceled the PERT but are waiving the requirement. Are other schools not doing this?

23 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

The schools here have canceled the PERT but are waiving the requirement. Are other schools not doing this?

Hmm, the person I talked to gave the impression that DS wouldn't be able to sign up for classes that have PERT scores as a pre-req, but that foreign language classes were open. So he did sign up for ASL. Turns out that he doesn't have enough HS credits yet to register for more than one course with them anyway, so even if the PERT were waived, he wouldn't have been able to take more than the ASL course anyway during fall semester.

Edited by egao_gakari
clarity

Ah how long ago was March 30th!

World History this summer, truly using Crash Course with the question sets. Not a lot of higher level thinking here, but was actually the only compromise we could achieve.  Sigh.  I know she will one day "discover" World History and drink it up, as long as I am not the one telling her to!  She loved her three years of this as a younger student but it was because some other, cooler, more chill mom taught it.

Still the same for English, Algebra 2, Honors Chem

Undecided:

Language: German 2 or Japanese 1 or both - we had a Japanese friend of DS shelter-in-place with us for three months this spring and DD fell in love with the language and alphabet.

Elective: AP Psychology or a not-yet defined philosophy class

Extra-curriculars: do these even exist now??  Please somebody tell me there is an amazing new version of interactive, distanced musical theater being rolled out that's free, incorporates anti-racist activism, and involves 75 of her closest friends!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harpymom said:

Extra-curriculars: do these even exist now??  Please somebody tell me there is an amazing new version of interactive, distanced musical theater being rolled out that's free, incorporates anti-racist activism, and involves 75 of her closest friends!!!

I love this! Lmk if you find it in your area and I’ll move there!

On 7/13/2020 at 4:07 PM, ScoutTN said:

Not due entirely to COVID. DS14’s outsourced classes all did subpar after shelter in place started. (ETA: he wasn’t in the mood) So we are going with dual enrollment for all classes that he wants to take and finding a tutor for English.

8 hours ago, egao_gakari said:

. Turns out that he doesn't have enough HS credits yet to register for more than one course with them anyway, so even if the PERT were waived, he wouldn't have been able to take more than the ASL course anyway during fall semester.

That’s interesting. DS15 was allowed to take 2 courses for free per quarter but they let him take 3 if I am willing to pay for 3. Three courses in a quarter end up costing me $500 so I paid.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Arcadia said:

DS15 was allowed to take 2 courses for free per quarter but they let him take 3 if I am willing to pay for 3. Three courses in a quarter end up costing me $500 so I paid.

Here it's a graduated system, so if they have completed 6 HS credits they can sign up for one DE course per semester, then after completing 8 HS credits they can do two per semester, and after 11 HS credits they can do three courses per semester (so long as they don't exceed 10 college credit hours per semester).