Menu

Anyone Planning for 9th Grade 2020-2021?

I'm getting the wheels started in thinking about 9th grade planning. This is my last high school kid! 😥 Our co-op's plan won't come out until early March so I'm waiting on that to make final decisions.  I'll post our tentative plans below and come back later to make adjustments. Anyone willing to share what they are planning?

English:  American literature & Composition:  Co-op IEW Essay & Research Class, Bluebook of Grammar, American Literature selections...

History:  A History of US book set;  adding timeline, documentaries & movies, mapwork, current events

Math:   Algebra I with Mr. D.... (We might try to work through first half of TT Geometry along with Alg. I OR take a summer Geometry class with Mr. D after Algebra).

Science:  Biology; most likely at co-op which uses Apologia...Would like to incorporate Apologia Health in with this. (1/2 this year, 1/2 for 10th)

Elective STEM Classes at Co-op 2x week.... Computer Science, Mechatronics, Art, Wood Carving, Advanced Guitar

Maybe enroll in our local Civil Air Patrol club or JROTC at local high school?

His interests are centered around building model boats, planes, & cars from wood.... he likes welding, designing/architecture, and aviation. Need to find more opportunities to create with others instead of creating at home alone. I'm thinking "team building" activities. 

Edited by Murrayshire
  • Like 2

My "middle kid" will be starting high school in the fall.

Math:  We'll be doing a second pass through of algebra. I think for future kids that we'll do Jacobs Algebra 1st & then Dolciani. This one started with Dolciani & I just like how Jacobs introduces things better. But the word problems in Dociani-whew!

Language arts: Golly, I don't know. This subject is always tough for me. She's a strong writer & reader, so I just need to keep working on things.

History: Probably US History (year 1 of 2) using the same plans as her big sisters

Science: ?? I usually do physics first but I'm not sure she'll be ready for Jetta's class. Edited to add- maybe Biology with recorded classes at Homeschool Connections or FundaFunda's Bio.

Foreign Language:  She hasn't picked one yet & doesn't want me to outsource. So, French, I guess. ETA: She wants to finish up Latin but not with a live class, so maybe Homeschool Connections recorded Wheelocks classes.

Programming: She's working through Python stuff, so probably continue that.

Other electives:  TBD

Aviation 101 through Embry Riddle?

Edited by RootAnn
Added possibilities
  • Like 4

if you have been on the forums lately, you know I am stressing about some of these choices!  So, tentatively . . .

Science--Biology, Miller-Levine Dragonfly  book  with a lab at co-op

Foreign Language-- Avancemos Spanish, possibly at the local UM school

Math: Jurgensen's Geometry

History:  **possibly** A History of Western Society, but with a focus on Middle ages through the Renaissance, so part of book 1 and book 2 (or book A and book B partial)  plus primary sources (either just the Sources for Western Society  Volume 1 and II or other stuff I will add)

Literature: online medieval literature class

Writing: probably Write at Home, or some other writing coach based thing

Logic:  Traditional Logic I Memoria Press. I am not going to press to get both I and II done. We'll see how things pan out.

Bible: The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study (we are behind)

Art: Continue drawing with my dad. Currently doing colored pencils, hopefully will be moving into pastels and charcoal by then

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 2

Next year's freshman is my Goldilocks (so hard to find that "just right") 😉 .  Some LD's that make things tricky.

With that in mind...

History and Lit: SL Core 100, with some of the lit swapped out for whatever else floats our boat-- possibly some of Lightning Lit Late American. 

Writing:  Writing With Skill

Spelling: still a need for him; probably Abeka, since we have it already.

Science:  Possibly Hewitt's Conceptual Physical Science Explorations, or something for biology... not sure yet.  Nothing math dependent.  Maybe Abeka for biology...I think he will do better with the plants-->animals--->human---->cellular approach that my older edition of Abeka has.  If we begin a course w/ cellular bio, I think his head will explode. 😉

Math: Saxon Algebra 1/2 (to solidify Pre A and gently intro some algebra--done at whatever pace he can hack), followed by Basic Algebra (Dolciani and Brown), or MUS Algebra,  or Jacobs' Algebra.  Depends on what clicks.

Not sure about foreign language... I'll see if he bites at Latin or Spanish.  Maybe he'd be willing to take Spanish at the local high school.  Latin would be with me; so, does he want to be Mr. Independent at the hs or just get it done with Mom. And the winner is..... Spanish with Mom. 

Cross Country/Indoor Track/Spring Track at local high school. 

Some other hands on elective... still thinking about that one.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

Geography: mainly cultural and map skills. Includes comparative religion. 

I'm mapping out (well, trying to map out) a plan for this with my rising 8th grader but for a full year.  I'll be curious to hear what your plan looks like, because mine seems to suffer from an overabundance of books (if there is such a thing?). 

Just finished our plan yesterday. Updated 4/9/20

Algebra I  (Saxon Math)

Great Books I (Classical Learning Resource Center) 

Quest for Middle Earth: Works of Tolkien (Classical Learning Resource Center)

Art in Literature: Lord of the Rings (Classical Learning Resource Center)

Intermediate Drawing (Classical Learning Resource Center) - Fall semester only

Meteorology (Classical Learning Resource Center) - Spring semester only

World History (Florida Virtual School)

His passion is athletics so 30+ hours per week are devoted to athletic training of some sort.

Edited by Melissa B

So far I have:

Math - TT Algebra 1

English - homemade CM/SWB mix of literature and composition

Science - Survey of Astronomy (Master Books)

History - Notgrass Exploring World History Book 1 with some things added

Electives - probably Computer Science 101 with Stanford Online plus some other things, and he's doing a beginner Python course from Udemy

Edited by hollyhock2
  • Like 1

We'll probably subscribe to Homeschool Connections unlimited access soon to try it out.  If we like it, this will likely be our plan.  If not, I'll have to fill in some holes.

English 9: HC grade 9 writing courses and a few literature courses (or The Power in Your Hands with a Lightning Literature course), if the literature courses we pick do not cover American literature, I'll pick at least a few American novels, short stories, and poems to go along with history, Rod & Staff English

Geometry: probably Jacob's Geometry using the HC recorded course

Observational Astronomy: Signs and Seasons: Understanding the Elements of Classical Astronomy with field journal, plus some tbd supplements

Early American History (probably 0.5-0.75 credit): Lands of Hope and Promise (first half), possibly with HC recorded course, with some tbd supplements

Government (probably 0.5-0.75 credit): 2 HC recorded courses, possibly with some supplements

Religion: Bible readings & a few HC recorded courses

Logic: if we don't finish it this year, we'll continue The Art of Argument

Spanish I: most likely either a HC recorded course or Spanish Now, possibly a live course??

Computer Science (0.5 credit): HC course or have dh teach him

Now that I write that out, I see that I'll have lots of holes to fill if Homeschool Connections doesn't work out.  Luckily, several things will stay the same, I'll just have to provide the structure and assignments.  I'm glad I was already planning on trying it out soon, so I can make changes sooner rather than later, if needed.  Even if we do like it, I'm not sure if I want to use it for that many courses.

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI
  • Like 3

Okay, first time to plan high school!  ACK 😦

Bible, English, History - My Father's World Ancient History and Literature with Fix-It Grammar (maybe a creative writing course, too - it's a favorite!)

Science - Apologia Biology

Math - finish up Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, don't know curricula yet

Languages- Spanish 1, don't know curricula yet

Fine Arts- Piano lessons, some sort of Art class (art/drawing is another favorite!)

P.E.- Apologia Health & Nutrition w/ swimming, fitness classes, etc

Electives- Computer Skills/Science/etc, not sure yet

• Like 2

@Plum, can you just send us all your plans for Medieval when you are done? LOL.  😃 It looks great.  

I am planning on listing ours as Medieval history and Medieval literature and composition.  I am new at this too though (I have a rising 9th as my oldest).

Please tell me where you come out on the Great Courses. My kids have not liked any video based course thus far (except IEW I guess which they tolerated) so I am not even looking at those. I do own the Terry Jones Medieval Lives book and hope to get to it soon. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sangtarah said:

P.E.- Apologia Health & Nutrition w/ swimming, fitness classes, etc

FYI. I have a friend whose 8th grader is doing the Apologia Health this year and she has said it is very science-y, as in there is a lot of A&P in there.  So you might want to take a look at the Biology and think about combining that aspect, or toning it down in the health. She said she had to rewrite some of the tests because she felt like the anatomy portions were too detailed for a "health" class.  YMMV of course, but I really trust her opinion, and I know this is a newer text that not many people have used. 

ETA: A&P=Anatomy and Physiology

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 2

@Plum I thought I would mention a resource we enjoyed using with our fairytale studies: Folklore and Symbolism of Flowers, Plants and Trees.  

Also, be prepared that The Philosophy of Tolkien contains a huge amt focused on Lewis.  We personally love that bc we love Lewis, too, but it is not a book strictly about Tolkien.  (If you know Kreeft, you definitely get his admiration for both men in the book.)

• Like 1

I looked at the title and thought...nope, mine will be a senior. And then I remembered my second son will be a 9th grader next year!!! Ack! 

The first step will be making sure he wants to homeschool. We’ve been talking about it all along. We let the kids decide when they get to high school. I think he will probably choose to stay home and I think it is be the best option for him, but I’m open to him going to public school if he wants to. 

He’s the most out of the box kid I have so I’m really not sure what we will do if he does stay home. I’m thinking about using Farrar’s Global Perspective Studies class for both him and his brother. He’s doing Derek Owens Algebra this year and it’s working so unless something changes we would probably stick with that for Geometry. He really likes ASL, so we’ll likely have that be his language. And that’s all the thinking I’ve done so far.

• Like 2

My baby with be a 9th grader!

Ray Leven Spanish 4 + conversation practice via LiveLingua

French 1 independently (tentatively Espaces 3rd ed., conversation via LiveLingua, adding French in Action mid-year)

WTMA Expository Writing III

World History (year 2 of 2) using K12's Human Odyssey

Funda Funda Academy Biology (+ honors option)

Edhesive AP Computer Science A

Geometry (not sure yet, considering WTMA's AoPS class, AoPS's online class, AoPS indpendently, or Derek Owens)

She also has teen homeschool co-op 1 full day per week, art studio once/week (might increase to twice/week?), robotics twice/week, and weekly YMCA leaders club.  Plus she's just joined a folk dance team.

Edited by jplain
  • Like 2

My youngest will be in ninth grade.  I think I am still processing this. Updating as we have a possible move and not sure about in person classes in general due to the virus.

Math.   Derek Owens Precalculus...Geometry is going very slowly.  Proofs are the worst!  He is sticking with DO, but I will be sitting with him to increase focus and time spent working. Goal is to begin precalc in the spring.

Science.  Chemistry using Appologia at the co op  , probably Spectrum Chemistry summer before and after. Online Chemistry through Excelsior classes. His sister had taken that teacher, so I am pretty sure this will be an excellent course.

History. Not sure, probably American History using Homeschool Connections, and adding ..something...   Summer" American History 1/4-1/2 credit using Homeschool Connection and Catholic Textbook Project.   Fall/Spring: Church history which usually will fit under Western Civ.

Religion. Studying Early church, catechism  .  I'm excited about the Church History class offered by TimothyJGordon.com.

English. Continue to work on reading list, with discussion.  Easy Grammar and Rod and Staff we really need to make a last pass or two though grammar.  Writing through an IEW like program.       Summer: grammar review using Roy Speed books.  Fall/Spring:  Logical Communication online class. We are both  Reading Center4Lit selections with recorded discussion , or other selections as interests dictate.

Computer Coding. He absolutely loves this.  Python?  Any suggestions would be great.    He has lost interest in this and is focusing on science.  He can hit this again later. I think it is valuable , but no longer an interest. 

Foreign Language. Maybe Latin? Homeschool Spanish Academy?      Can I say that this is my least favorite subject?    Hopefully he can take in person classes in 10th grade.

Edited by BrookSilver
changes
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I'm currently neck-deep planning for my first high schooler. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, truthfully.

Right there with you. Hugs. 

I am having to regularly ask myself what my lofty ideals are going into planning and how well those ideals line up with the kids I actually have.  I am finding that they don't line up terribly well, and I need to readjust accordingly.  But as I readjust (which I need to do), I find self-doubt tends to creep in.  

• Like 2

I'm going to link to last year's 9th grade planning thread. Actually, I'm going to link to my post in last year's planning thread where I give a couple pieces of advice--not because I know what I'm doing but because I remember that feeling of panic. I think I had it when planning every year for my eldest up until she was admitted to college. I still suffer that self-doubt sometimes for my younger kids. 

There is a variety of great advice & amazing homeschoolers on this board. Read some of the pinned threads on top of the high school board to get ideas. Like @cintinative said, remember we all have to school the kid in front of us. Everyone's path is different. The kid you have now will grow & change over the next four years--at least my first two did. (I found out that some people don't have kids that change as they grow. Always learning... ) We are here for each other. Enjoy your kids even when they are driving you crazy.

• Like 2

I’m trying to decide what to do with my middle child next year.  He would be a 9th grader since we started him in K just after he turned 6.  I might skip him ahead to 10th, though.  

He did Algebra 1 and hs-level Physics, Literature and History last year.  This year he is doing Geometry, a hs-level Engineering class with an electric engineer, hs-level Biology class, and more hs-level Literature and History.  It seems like moving him up would be the right thing to do.  

Regardless of what we decide to do, next year’s plan follows...

English - Mom created 

History - The History of the Renaissance World

Algebra 2 - YayMath!

Chemistry - we own Timberlake Basic Chemistry, not sure what we’re doing otherwise (Edited to add: I just remembered that I have worksheets for CrashCourse Chemistry, so I will likely have him read a chapter in Timberlake, then watch the CC video and do the guided notes/worksheet.)

PE - American ninja warrior-style classes, working out at the gym

Spanish - second year 

Engineering - This year has been electrical engineering, who knows what they’ll work on next year!

Entrepreneurship - He and 2 friends won second place in a local renewable energy competition this year.  They plan to go forward and make their product a reality.  I’m thinking of turning this into a credit.  I will probably add Economics, which is a required 1/2 credit in NY, since they fit together so well and his 11th grade brother will be taking Econ next year anyway.

Edited by *Jessica*
  • Like 1

My second homeschooler is starting 9th in the fall.  He wants to be an engineer, but I really need him to step up his game.  This is just a preliminary sketch of the plan

Math- Algebra 2 probably Foerster

Latin- Henle 2 with Memoria Press online

Greek - Greek 1 with Lukeion (this request took me by surprise)

Science - Holt Biology with the MP study guide and lab intensive with college prep science in the spring

English - MP 9th grade lit package (Middle Ages) hopefully with an online discussion group, Writing with Skill or some other writing program

History-??? Probably something light because Greek will take a lot of time

He is a swimmer so PE is covered and he is very involved in Trail Life

• Like 2

Ds14 will be in 9th next year.

I don't have a lot planned yet, he's a very different child from my oldest. He prefers to work alone, would handle online courses just fine I think but I can't afford most live courses. We may join a co-op group that has the kids read a tonne--not sure he would keep up with that but he might do audiobooks. He needs as much practice with social interactions as I can get for him so classes with lots of discussion would be good. 

He's doing Teaching Textbooks Algebra and Geometry and that seems to be working so my plan is to continue. 

He wants to learn French, I'm fluent but need a structured program to teach so I'm researching those right now. 

Otherwise I really don't know. Maybe chemistry for science, he has lots of zoology information tucked away in hours brain already because that has been his major interest for many years.

Karate, Irish dance, cello, tumbling, and musical theater will all remain on the schedule unless he asks to drop something.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 4:39 PM, cintinative said:

FYI. I have a friend whose 8th grader is doing the Apologia Health this year and she has said it is very science-y, as in there is a lot of A&P in there.  So you might want to take a look at the Biology and think about combining that aspect, or toning it down in the health. She said she had to rewrite some of the tests because she felt like the anatomy portions were too detailed for a "health" class.  YMMV of course, but I really trust her opinion, and I know this is a newer text that not many people have used. 

ETA: A&P=Anatomy and Physiology

I agree! My 11th grader is using Apologia A&P with the Apologia Health and it has been somewhat of an overload with Anatomy.... but it's been a great combination and we've altered the work. She particularly likes how the Health book throws in different medical careers/professions. It's sort of like a "Career planning" class, too. Since she is thinking of a medical career, she has been researching the ones specified in the Health book. She's been pleased.

I'm thinking of using Apologia Health with its Biology for my ninth grader next fall. I think it will mesh well together. 

Edited by Murrayshire
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 1:30 PM, alisoncooks said:

I'm currently neck-deep planning for my first high schooler. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, truthfully.

Here's what I have so far, though I hesitate to share because DD will be working below grade level in a few subjects. (Perhaps it'll help others in the same boat...) 

• Math:  Alg. 1 (probably continue TT)
  • English: EiW9/EiL9...probably  Maybe Lightning Lit 7+8 as a gentle intro
  • Science: 1-yr survey from Masterbooks
  • History: CLE's Western Civ (technically a middle school course but it fits where she is) + Khan
  • Foreign Language: Duolingo + ULAT
  • Health/PE: PE at the YMCA (approx 70 hrs/yr so ~0.5 credit) + half of a health book
  • maybe art 
Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Here's what I have so far, though I hesitate to share because...  (Perhaps it'll help others in the same boat...)

Just wanted to say thanks for including  her plans. I faced the same dilemma when my dd#2 was going into high school with math, especially. Homeschooling meets the kid where they are, whether that is above, below, or at grade level. I find value in seeing all levels of plans in these threads. So, thanks.

• Like 2

This will be my first post in the HS board! My oldest will be a freshman next year...yikes, it's gone fast! I usually have everything pretty much nailed down by this point, but not this year!

English: Vocab from Classical Roots Book C and D, IEW SSS 1-B (decided to go with B Level so her sister can do the same level), Literature to tie in with Geography, Teaching the Classics and Windows to the World
Math: CLE Algebra 1
Science: Apologia Biology, done in a class setting at someone's home
History: Leaning towards Oklahoma History, possibly adding a semester of Guest Hollow World Geography as well 
Bible: No idea yet! Still haven't figured this one out really, I have a couple of devotional books we'll start with.
Extras: Choir, study skills class (non-credit) this summer, Driver's Ed next summer

Edited by lanabug
  • Like 1

My third 9th grader! I'll be glad to have a long break before the last one starts high school after this.

English: finishing WWS, American literature (that I need to start putting together)

History: AP US history (with his 11th grader brother; I want to keep them together for lit and history as much as I can)

Science: biology somehow or other. Sigh. I might do Pandia Press's Biology--it's more of a middle school class, but it says for up to 9th grade. I just...don't know. I'm so tired of trying to figure science out. I need him to take the subject test to make our state flagship happy if he decides to apply there, so there will be a test prep book involved somehow.

Math: Jacobs geometry

Spanish: he's done Spanish 1 and 2 (well, doing 2 now) through Georgia virtual school, but he hates it, so I told him he can stop after this year. My goal with Spanish is to make sure he doesn't forget everything he's learned, ideally make some forward progress, and be ready to do dual enrollment Spanish come 11th grade. I'm not worried about more than that since he'll already have 2 years of high school Spanish in (which we only did so early because we lost our private tutor and I didn't want him to forget everything from THAT).  So I'll probably find something online and maybe work on some translation projects or something with him, so I can brush up on MY Spanish and make him less miserable at the same time.

Extras: he'll keep playing French horn in youth orchestra and probably take an art class at our local homeschool coop. And maybe he'll do some plays--he loves acting but hasn't done any in awhile.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DD2 will be a 9th grader in the fall. (I’ll also have 11th, 8th, and 6th.) We’ll be wrapping up this year the last week of May, taking the month of June off, and then starting back up in July. We’ll be off all of September and most of October while we road trip around the country and then off another week in November for a family reunion. I ordered about half of our books for next year a couple of days ago and am feeling the pressure to start planning since we’ll be starting our year so early. 

Bible/History/Literature - MFW World History and History and Literature. She’ll be doing this with DD1. They’re doing Ancient History and Literature this year and it’s working well for us. 

Math - Math U See Algebra 1. She’ll be doing this with DD3. We’ll have to push to pre-algebra done. Math is not her best subject. 

Science - Apologia Physical Science. Also with DD3. I don’t know if I’ll get the new edition that’s coming out this spring or stick with the old one I already have. I need to look at samples. We are using the new General science this year and liking it. 

English - Mostly what comes with MFW. We’ll also be doing Season 3 of Analytical Grammar at half pace. Maybe Spelling with Spelling Power but I haven’t decided yet. 

World Language - She wants to do German. She’s been playing around with Duolingo this year and likes it but I need to come up with something more high school credit worthy for next year. So far, all I’m finding is live, online classes which won’t work for us this year due to traveling. I was hoping to find something from a company like BJU or Abeka but they don’t have German. Not sure what I’ll do there. 

Elective: Not sure yet. 
ETA: Actually, I have the first half of CLE Home Economics. Maybe I’ll use this as a guide and do Home Ec with all four kids this year and the older two can use it for their elective. The kids participate in household chores regularly, of course, but there’s some things I’m not sure I’ve gotten around to actually teaching them and maybe using a curriculum as a guide will help me fill in those holes. 

Extras: Piano lessons, karate class (she’ll be adding classes and working toward her Black Belt this year), Typing (I need to get all of my kids typing this year. Should have worked on this years ago.) 

Edited by 2ndGenHomeschooler

@2ndGenHomeschooler Check out the recorded versions of German from Homeschool Connections Online.

it is a Catholic provider so there is probably a rote prayer at the beginning of each class, but I think that should be it. I think they use a secular textbook. That should be listed in the course descriptions in their catalog.

You pay by the month for access & do the grading yourself or you can pay extra for instructor grading for some of the classes. If thete is a month you know you won't have internet access, you can stop your subscription & restart the following month.

On 2/28/2020 at 11:36 AM, RootAnn said:

@2ndGenHomeschooler Check out the recorded versions of German from Homeschool Connections Online.

it is a Catholic provider so there is probably a rote prayer at the beginning of each class, but I think that should be it. I think they use a secular textbook. That should be listed in the course descriptions in their catalog.

You pay by the month for access & do the grading yourself or you can pay extra for instructor grading for some of the classes. If thete is a month you know you won't have internet access, you can stop your subscription & restart the following month.

On 2/28/2020 at 11:43 AM, 8FillTheHeart said:

@2ndGenHomeschoolerMy dd has really liked German Online through OSU. She has taken German 1-3 through them.

Thanks so much! These are just the type of thing I was looking for. 

Here is my plan - although every time I post the plan, it changes!!!!! DS is my oldest, so this is our first foray into high school!!!!

Language Arts - Holt's Elements of Literature 9th grade

World History - Glencoe World History (Spielvogel)

Geometry - Not sure which curriculum yet. I already have Jacob's Geometry and Holt Geometry.

Biology - Elemental Science High School Biology

Easy Peasy Spanish 1

Not sure what else yet ........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's hard to believe my oldest is starting high school. This is a definite work in progress!

DS will be 14 in May and ... well, he could do with a little more effort toward school. He's a bright kid, but has yet to find his niche.

I found out that grades 10, 11, and 12 must be done through online classes through our territorial homeschool education board... So there go all of my great plans I'd accumulated throughout the years. This year will now be a 'make-sure-kid's-caught-up-everywhere' year... hoping to still make it fun since it's his last year for much choice.

Math - He's currently on his second try with Pre-Algebra - first with Math Mammoth and then with AoPS. I don't think AoPS is a good fit for him right now, so I'm not sure which math we'll be using. Maybe Saxon Algebra 1?

Social Studies - Canadian History Part 2 using Modern History Through Canadian Eyes, some AO resources, & Headphone History;

@Plum my kid really liked your plan and has decided he'd like something similar. It's right up his alley and as it's kind of his last year that I can plan for, I'm going to try to come up with something that fits for him. Thank you for sharing your plans!

Science - A bit of everything? I wish we could work through a science encyclopedia and follow rabbit trails - we need to cover science that we hadn't gotten around to earlier. Not sure what we'll use.

Language Arts - we need to really work on his writing skills. Brave Writer Boomerangs, something writing intensive (maybe over the summer), Canadian Handwriting G, Fix It Grammar 3, Vocab Through Classical Roots B

French - CAP French for Children Primer B, Getting Started with French, DuoLingo, I may do one of our subjects in French, or my 11-year-old's suggestion of "French Fridays" 

Arts - focus on middle ages... Annotated Mona Lisa & Annotated Arch, maybe.

Still figuring everything out.

Edited by AsgardCA

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 9:28 PM, scbusf said:

Here is my plan - although every time I post the plan, it changes!!!!! DS is my oldest, so this is our first foray into high school!!!!

Language Arts - Holt's Elements of Literature 9th grade

World History - Glencoe World History (Spielvogel)

Geometry - Not sure which curriculum yet. I already have Jacob's Geometry and Holt Geometry.

Easy Peasy Spanish 1

Not sure what else yet ........

I actually haven't changed anything yet!!!! Just added stuff .......

The Art of Argument

The Annotated Mona Lisa - for Art Appreciation

Caesar's English from RFWP

Before he starts official 9th grade English, I'll probably have him do Windows to the World from IEW.

I'll have my first homeschooled high schooler in the fall (eek!). So far what I've planned:

Online classes:

Math: Geometry (TPS)
Foreign Language: French (TPS)
Science: Chemistry (Clover Valley)

At Home:
English: I need to spend time this summer thinking this through. This year, she did IEW's Windows to the World, Lively Art of Writing, and definition essays from WWS 2. I also added in 3 novels and a Shakespeare play to the mix. She finished Rod & Staff Grammar 8 and Vocab. from Classical Roots A & B. 

I'll have her continue with Vocabulary from Classical Roots. R&S gets very composition-heavy, so I'm looking to change to a grammar program that she doesn't have to do consistently throughout the year (Analytical Grammar? Stewart English?).  For the literature component, I've got a preliminary booklist that she'll go through using the WTM method. I'm still thinking about writing, but we will definitely do response papers, literary analysis essays, and one long research paper. 

Social Science: She didn't want to do history, so I picked AP Human Geography. 

Electives/PE & Health: Her extracurriculars are riding, creative writing, art, flute. I'm hoping to cobble together her electives & PE from these, if possible.  Rhetoric and Bible/Apologetics/Church History are other possibilities. 

I'm trying not to overschedule her, because she does have her own interests she wants to pursue (and I don't necessarily want to turn them into school, either). It's a fine balance. 

• Like 3

Now I've changed things:

Language Arts - Holt's Elements of Literature 9th grade.  Byline from Clearwater Press. He wants to be a sports journalist, so I figure this will be a good way to get him a good intro to the journalism field and some good writing practice

World History - Glencoe World History (Spielvogel)  Byline includes some history, so we will expand on that instead of doing a full history curriculum

Geometry - Holt Geometry.

Easy Peasy Spanish 1

The Art of Argument

The Annotated Mona Lisa - for Art Appreciation

Caesar's English from RFWP

Before he starts official 9th grade English, I may have him do Windows to the World from IEW. Maybe this summer?????

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, scbusf said:

Before he starts official 9th grade English, I may have him do Windows to the World from IEW. Maybe this summer?????

I've done Windows to the World with two eighth graders (I added 3 novels and a Shakespeare play to expand it into a full year's curriculum). I found it to be an excellent introduction to literary analysis and definitely worth doing.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I keep waffling! Tell me if this is too much.

Elective: Learning Literary Analysis Through Lord of the Rings

math: Saxon Alg 2

english: W&R 5-7 and papers across the curriculum. She’s already finished WWS 3

Science: Funda Funda bio (we paid so this one is solid)

literature: ancient great books using some Great Courses by Vandiver and discussing with me

history: History of the Ancient World

foreign language: Cambridge Latin Course, book 3

Rhetoric/Debate/Logic 1/2 credit: I am waffling between Workbook for Arguments or Argument builder 

elective 1/2 credit: world mythology and religion

we are moving in the fall so I can’t guarantee what her extracurricular activities will look like yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, kand said:

Do you know of a Windows to the World option that has an outside teacher? I really want to use it, but this particular kid shuts down when feedback comes from me. He's an eager student for others though. I'm trying to find a way for him to do WttW with an online class of some kind (other than Blue Tent).

You could try a co-op but it wouldn't necessarily be online.  There are a couple here that offer it. '

ETA: you might try IEW's certified instructors list for your area and see if any of them would be willing to help.  https://iew.com/events-classes/instructors/find-accredited-instructor  You can search for those that offer online classes at this link as well.

Edited by cintinative

On 6/13/2020 at 9:17 PM, blondeviolin said:

I keep waffling! Tell me if this is too much.

Elective: Learning Literary Analysis Through Lord of the Rings

math: Saxon Alg 2

english: W&R 5-7 and papers across the curriculum. She’s already finished WWS 3

Science: Funda Funda bio (we paid so this one is solid)

literature: ancient great books using some Great Courses by Vandiver and discussing with me

history: History of the Ancient World

foreign language: Cambridge Latin Course, book 3

Rhetoric/Debate/Logic 1/2 credit: I am waffling between Workbook for Arguments or Argument builder 

elective 1/2 credit: world mythology and religion

we are moving in the fall so I can’t guarantee what her extracurricular activities will look like yet. 

This is similar to what my 9th grader's take.  We are starting 1/2 weeks this week and my 9th grader will be taking:

English: (LLfLOTR--2nd 1/2 bc we add a lot of additional readings.  I don't separate out the extensive additional readings we do from an English cr. In 8th we read so many that we only made it through the Fellowship. Learning to write essays, Jensen's Punctuation and spelling (she is dyslexic and her spelling is awful) )

Geometry

American history

French

Physics

Apologetics/theology

1/2 cr for A Workbook for Arguments 

1/2 cr for American gov't

My other 9th graders have typically had heavier schedules (they have been stronger students).  I have had 9th graders taking a similar schedule above with 3 foreign languages or multiple sciences or additional courses in computer programming, etc. 

Me! I'm not even sure what I'm doing. We had planned for DS to start at a B&M school for 2020-21 but like all of our plans, that went out the window.

Algebra II - Derek Owens

Chemistry - Clover Valley Parent Led

AP US History - CTY

Lightening Lit British Novels (Might do through Online G3, or I might facilitate)

Linguistics - Online G3

Spanish  - HSA

Piano, environmental hero club, PE with is dad. (They are workout buds)

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 12:17 AM, kand said:

Do you know of a Windows to the World option that has an outside teacher? I really want to use it, but this particular kid shuts down when feedback comes from me. He's an eager student for others though. I'm trying to find a way for him to do WttW with an online class of some kind (other than Blue Tent).

I'm afraid not. When I did the curriculum with my older son, though, we invited a friend of his into the class. I found that having another student helped me stay on top of the prep work and grading and helped my son take it more seriously. Plus, discussion is livelier with three people! Perhaps you can look into getting a group together?

DD#3 & I finally hashed this out. Most stayed the same from my first post. LA got figured out (big picture-wise) & I tweaked History a bit.

Math:  2nd pass through Algebra I w/Jacobs to make sure we're solid.
LA:  For Composition:  She asked to learn how to write essays "Mom's way" so we're going to read some essays from different sources (Breakfast from Mars, speeches, other essay books I have) & she'll practice what we discuss in her essays that she's writing for other classes. For Literature:  She asked for a 'plan' so I'm going to tweak something I have already so she does one play, 2-3 novels, and some short stories each semester plus a bit of writing.
History:  First semester will actually be US Government w/dd#2 & I. Second semester will be the start of her US History (maybe using Homeschool Connections plan, maybe using big sisters' plan)
Science:  Biology (recorded) through Homeschool Connections
Foreign Language:  Latin (recorded) through Homeschool Connections
Programming:  Continue Python
Aviation 101 through Embry Riddle

• Like 5

Geometry: Jacobs

History: Ambleside Online Year 7 (Middle Ages) with some additions

English: Ambleside Online (I'll probably call it British Literature or maybe Middle Ages Literature)

Biology: Apologia

Health: Apologia

Latin: Henle II

Bible: Community Bible Study, AO Bible and Worldview readings

• Like 1