Menu

What's with the ads?

StaceyinLA

When would you start spelling and what would you use?

mid first grade, reading decently, but not great (she's a guesser and still guesses at words she's unfamiliar with, versus trying to sound them out). 

Thinking of R&S because that's what her brother used/uses, but just thought I'd ask in case anyone had good suggestions.

I decided not to start until 3rd grade. They need to be writing regularly in order to put the spelling into use. Younger DD decided she wanted to start in 2nd, so, fine. None of mine are "natural" spellers, but it doesn't take them long to learn spelling, either. We use the collection of lists in Spelling Power to just get it done.

R&S worked fabulously for five of my six. The grade two book is pretty gentle and not heavy handed on the rules. The three book steps it up a notch and really gets into spelling rules. Most of them used it through the six book before we dropped the subject. 

(The youngest is in Spalding/Writing Road to Reading, which is very teacher intensive. He is 9 and just now really breaking into spelling. In 1st and 2nd I may as well have been asking him to spell a language he's never heard.)

• Like 1

I have started spelling with each of my boys at the beginning of first grade when they were strong readers (easily reading Charlotte's Web, Mouse and the Motorcycle, Mr. Popper's Penguins, etc).

We have exclusively used All About Spelling and I don't foresee stopping or making changes until they have gone through all the levels.  None of them are natural, intuitive spellers, and AAS's rule-based approach has really helped them.

Wendy

• Like 3

I really like R&S for Kids without learning difficulties.  You get the rules covered in a cheap, somewhat independent fashion.

• Like 1

I see people starting spelling as early as Kinder, and as late as 3rd grade -- so no right or wrong answer there. If you think the 1st grader might be quick to pick up spelling and not need much help then something like Natural Speller. If you think the 1st grader is going to be an average speller, then something like Rod and Staff would work fine. If you're thinking she's an average to struggling speller, and you want spelling to help support phonics and reading, then I'd recommend All About Spelling -- yes expensive, yes parent-intensive -- but it works in multiple ways to really cement phonetic sounds and vowel patterns.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

mid first grade, reading decently, but not great (she's a guesser and still guesses at words she's unfamiliar with, versus trying to sound them out). 

Thinking of R&S because that's what her brother used/uses, but just thought I'd ask in case anyone had good suggestions.

We start spelling once reading is fluent and letter formation is fairly solid.

We wanted to use spelling as a vehicle to reinforce phonics, exercise/practice handwriting and introduce some very lite grammar. Our family has been delighted by R&S Spelling by Sound and Structure. I teach it directly from the TM with the caveat that I skip/edit out the overtly religious material, but I teach it as prescribed. We do the spelling drills given in the TM. We're very happy with SbSS and plan to stick with it through the end of SbSS 6 since that is the last level of spelling.

14 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

Well, you know I do Spalding, which teaches children to read by teaching them to spell, so I guess my answer would be that I teach spelling from the beginning. 🙂

But if I were using another phonics method which doesn't teach that way, spelling as an official subject would not be until the dc were reading well and fluently. Until then I would tell the dc how to spell a word. It sounds to me as if your dd isn't ready to do spelling at all but needs more work on phonics (or you could do Spalding, which would solve everything, lol).

• Like 1

I have used A Reason for Spelling with going-on-twelve kiddos with huge success. We start spelling as soon as they are reading 3-letter, short-vowel words (cat, run, dog). I've found that the program works beautifully with what we use for reading (McGuffey's) and ETC.

I agree with Ellie, but I used a knockoff that was simpler for me to implement called Reading Lessons Through Literature.

If I wanted to so what it looks like you want to do I would wait until she was reading fluently.

I've used OPG twice, and chased it with AAS. It seems like a step backwards because AAS starts so simply,  but it reinforces the basic phonics nicely.  That has been before reading fluency.  

Thanks for all the information! Honestly I can't even remember what I used with my kids, or when I started it - it's been a while. 

Dd mentioned it yesterday after dgd wrote a list, and I was thinking of just picking up R&S for her, but I may look at a couple other options listed here.

The All About Spelling looks pretty good in the sense that it would reinforce the phonics. Can anyone who has used it tell me if that's the case?

It looks like A Reason for Spelling does this as well.

Has anyone looked at both of those?

Edited by StaceyinLA

I've read it suggested that as long as the child has learned phonics up to a 2nd grade reading level, they are ready to start spelling.  We used Spelling Workout (SWO) for my dd, but she needed extra help, so we added in AAS and that worked great for her but was tedious for me.  We stopped at AAS 6 and then she ended up finished all the SWO books by 8th grade for extra practice.  With my ds, we are using SWO and he is almost done with the first book and having no problems.  I'm thinking of adding in some AAS if he shows problems with spelling but so far he seems to be like me, see it once and gets it.  It really depends on the child.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:27 AM, wendyroo said:

We have exclusively used All About Spelling and I don't foresee stopping or making changes until they have gone through all the levels.  None of them are natural, intuitive spellers, and AAS's rule-based approach has really helped them.

My DS is about a grade level behind Wendy’s kiddos, but the above is true for us as well. He is on track to complete AAS 1-3 this year & the improvement in his independent writing has been excellent. 

On 1/30/2020 at 8:23 AM, StaceyinLA said:

The All About Spelling looks pretty good in the sense that it would reinforce the phonics. Can anyone who has used it tell me if that's the case?

Yes, it does. Each of the spelling lessons is phonics-based. 

• Like 1