Menu

Thoughts and prayers needed this morning

DawnM

I am a wreck.   I have an interview this morning at 8am EST.  I didn't think I would be this nervous.  I haven't been this bad in the past, but I think it is because this is a job I would really, really like to have.

But there is quite a bit of competition for this job.  It is a highly desired school.  For me, it is more about the fact that it is 4 miles from my house, has fantastic hours (7-2), and would allow me to get back to a high school.

I am not anticipating an offer.  That might be the wrong attitude to have, but the last 2 interviews I have been on, I got the impression in one of them that they already had their person picked, and the other one I got the feeling they were looking for something I couldn't offer (bilingual for example.).   So I am trying to be realistic.

But this is a job I really want, which makes me far more nervous.

Pray I can think clearly during the interview.   I hate that feeling of "shoot!  I had 10 more things I should have said!" when I walk away. 

I have spent the last 2 days practicing for the interview, going over questions and answers, writing things down, but I still feel unprepared.  I hate that!

• Like 21

THANK YOU ALL.  Keep praying, I don't know how many they are interviewing, but that was an odd interview IMO.  They only asked like 5 questions and they had a rather flat affect overall.  I tried to be cheery and smile a lot but I didn't feel I got a lot back.

I only interviewed with 2 people, normally I interview with 5-6 in a room.  

The questions they asked were kind of "different".  I didn't feel I got to show them what I am really capable of, and yes, I did try to interject what I wanted to say into each question, but some things I wanted to say weren't quite a fit and would have been awkward to add at the end.

They said they will do their second round of interviews next week and they will let me know if I make it to that round.  I was their first interview for the position, and that just couldn't be helped.  I had to do it that way to miss minimal amounts of my own work.

• Like 17

7 hours ago, Lanny said:

Good luck Dawn!  The interview is scheduled to begin in a few minutes. If you read this before the interview, I suggest that you try to be yourself. Don't try to 2nd guess them with a lot of rehearsed answers. Easier said than done.

Thanks

That isn't what I mean.  I am not studying canned answers.  But I looked through the "70 questions to ask a potential school counselor" on the ASCA website and went over them to be sure I had an answer for each.

For example, one question was, "Tell me about a time you feel you had a difficult parent situation and how did you handle it?"  I want to have an answer rather than scrambling in my brain to think of something on the spot when I am nervous.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

That isn't what I mean.  I am not studying canned answers.  But I looked through the "70 questions to ask a potential school counselor" on the ASCA website and went over them to be sure I had an answer for each.

For example, one question was, "Tell me about a time you feel you had a difficult parent situation and how did you handle it?"  I want to have an answer rather than scrambling in my brain to think of something on the spot when I am nervous.

I think this is a smart strategy. 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1