Menu

Blender recommendations?

Matryoshka

I think it's time to get a new blender.  The one I own is I think from the 1970's.  Dh had it when we got married, and it's Harvest Gold. 😮  I think his mom probably gave him an old one of hers, lol.  It still works, but it's not built to do things like the new heavy-duty ones do, and I think I want one that can really blend stuff.  I've been on a healthier diet and have been seeing a lot of recipes that ask for one of those blenders - if it's a larger batch I've been using my food processor instead, but for smaller amounts it doesn't work.  I'm sure a Vitamix would work, but isn't that $$$$?  How about the NutriBullet thingies?  Are there other brands that can do the job and not break the bank?  This would still be far from daily use, but I want something that will really puree things smooth when I need it to - like nuts or frozen bananas.

Edited by Matryoshka

I have a Vitamix and that is what dd21 grew up with. I bought her a Ninja. She says it works 'almost' as good, but definitely not quite the same. For her, she is very happy with the Ninja. The price is a quarter what the Vitamix was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, it’s nothing fancy, but I’ve had an Oster Beehive for many years and it works great. It blends well and I really just wanted something that was either on or not, so it doesn’t have a bunch of different speeds or whatever. Just turn it on, or pulse, or off. 🙂 

Love my Vitamix. I ordered a refurbished one (hundreds of dollars off, but still about $200) but they called me to say they no longer had the one I wanted. SO THEY SENT ME A BRAND NEW ONE. 

Who does that? Vitamix, that's who. Excellent quality, excellent customer service, will last you 30 years. Oh, and the blade is not designed to slice, exactly, but to pulverize, so it isn't razor sharp (but it is somewhat sharp) so hat means there is less chance of slicing your fingers (something I am somewhat phobic about). 

• Like 2

I have a Bella, similar to a Ninja but even less $ (at least when we bought it). We use it mostly for our morning smoothies too and it does a great job pulverizing greens, frozen foods and nuts& seeds.

We figured we’d start cheap and upgrade if we continued with daily smoothies. It’s been several years and we haven’t needed to replace it yet. 

Eta (we wear headphones because yes, it is loud! But very fast)

Edited by MEmama

I have a cuisinart immersion blender and several cups to use with it and I use it WAY more than any traditional blender I have owned.  I also use it to blend like creamed soups in a pot.  So it can work for large amounts or small.  

• Like 1

Another happy Vitamix owner here.

We got our refurbished Vitamix (still $$$) from the company > 6 years ago and have zero problems with it. I think the warranty was for 5 years on it? I use that thing at least twice a day. Costco has them often, and not just when a rep is there to demo it. 

If you buy directly from them, be sure to use Rakuten/formery ebates <--- affiliate link (is that allowed?). Right now they offer 5% cash back at Vitamix. 

Edited by Angie in VA

I have a BlendTec and it's what I'd consider expensive.  HOWEVER, I will say they stand by their warranty.  I think mine was five years old when they sent me a new one and the new one is covered by the remainder of the warranty.  (I think 7 years?) The thing is a monster - it can liquify stone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I have a cuisinart immersion blender and several cups to use with it and I use it WAY more than any traditional blender I have owned.  I also use it to blend like creamed soups in a pot.  So it can work for large amounts or small.  

Do you make smoothies with it?

I Make probably at least on smoothie maybe more per day on average, and have wondered if immersion blender could do that well with less mess to clean up 

48 minutes ago, Pen said:

Do you make smoothies with it?

I Make probably at least on smoothie maybe more per day on average, and have wondered if immersion blender could do that well with less mess to clean up 

Yes, we do use it make smoothies!  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

1 hour ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Yes, we do use it make smoothies!  

Model number please.  I see a few different models at Macy’s and Nordstrom Rack. I need a blender to make it easier to make protein drinks from my protein powder stockpile and an immersion blender would be easier to wash and stow away.

15 hours ago, Amy in NH said:

DD likes a smoothie for breakfast, so we recently got this Ninja blender with a set of extra jars.

It is VERY loud, but does an amazingly smooth blend - even pulverizing blueberry and raspberry seeds.  Since it only runs for 1 minute, we can live with the noise.

I have the same as Amy the Ninja BL 480 with 3 cups.2 months into buying/using it the motor stopped working,then the blade had issues.Both times I called the manufacturer and they sent me replacement blender base and then the blade for free.

Not had a problem since.Customer service was very easy to talk to did not give me any issues.I have had it for 2 years now.I like the product and yes its loud but it blends for a minute so not a big issue. Hth

• Like 1

9 hours ago, angelaguptathomas said:

If I needed a new one today, I think I would try this one.  Glass blender jars are important to me (or stainless... but not-plastic is my preference). 

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2020 at 6:19 AM, Matryoshka said:

I think it's time to get a new blender.  The one I own is I think from the 1970's.  Dh had it when we got married, and it's Harvest Gold. 😮  I think his mom probably gave him an old one of hers, lol.  It still works, but it's not built to do things like the new heavy-duty ones do, and I think I want one that can really blend stuff.  I've been on a healthier diet and have been seeing a lot of recipes that ask for one of those blenders - if it's a larger batch I've been using my food processor instead, but for smaller amounts it doesn't work.  I'm sure a Vitamix would work, but isn't that $$$$?  How about the NutriBullet thingies?  Are there other brands that can do the job and not break the bank?  This would still be far from daily use, but I want something that will really puree things smooth when I need it to - like nuts or frozen bananas.

What is your budget limit?

I've purchased a new one and did a massive research before paying, so let me know some of your preferences and limits, I think I may be helpful as I still have some info saved

I had a basic blender from the early 1980s.  I did a lot of research and asked for a Vitamix for Christmas.  They are expensive, but I have decided that it is very much worth it and that lower end blenders are not worth the money; I would just use an immersion blender if I couldn't afford the Vitamix.  I can't believe the difference in quality.  I wondered if it would be one of those things that we used a few times and then it went into the cabinet to be brought out once a year.  But, DH and DS love it also.  

Not only do I love the way it blends, the cleanup is so easy compared to any blender that I had before.  You just put a couple of drops of dish soap and some warm water in and turn the blender on, then rinse everything out.  There are parts and gaskets to take apart and crevices that need to be cleaned.  

• Like 1