Menu

Flu shot late in the season?

maize

We haven't had flu shots yet this season--we get them most years, but my family has literally not had a week without sickness since, oh, September probably? and I kept putting off the flu shot because I didn't want to get it when we were sick.

We've got yet another respiratory virus going the rounds, but most people are on the mend. I'm thinking even though it is late we've still got half of flu season ahead and would maybe benefit from the shot? 

Part of me doesn't want to go anywhere near a doctor's office for fear of picking up the another germ.

For all I know we've already had a strain of flu--haven't been sick enough to need a doctor, but I know sometimes flu acts more like a cold.

Could you get it at the drug or grocery store instead? I get mine at Kroger. 

I would say get it, but the one and only time I've ever had the flu was in the summer, so not even flu season. I had never had the shot before then but it was so awful I get one every year now.

I figure as long as places still offer it, it must still be worth getting.  I'm kind of like you though...  don't like to go to the clinic if I don't have to.  We can get flu shots still at pharmacy's (like Walgreens) and even grocery stores. 

• Like 1

I probably would.  Try at a grocery or drug store first.  If you need to go to the doctor for it, wear masks, wash hands, and change clothes when you get home.  We have just dne shots at the doctor’s office before and not seen the doctor.  They take our temp, ask a few questions, give the shot, and off we go.

My husband and I were just discussing this last night. He was reading from an article--apparently it's a very poor match. As in the "expert" was saying it's not worth it. I'll try to find the article. Edit to add...I don't think this is the same article, but it has good info. https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/14/health/flu-vaccine-match/index.html

Edited by popmom

I would still get it, but I’m pretty much terrified of getting flu again unvaccinated, so I might be biased. I’ve only had flu once, and it was at the same time as my two year old toddler and dh, and I was pregnant. ☹️Miserable. Absolutely miserable. 

We got the flu three seasons ago--I was pregnant as well and yes it was awful.

We'd had the shots that year, but it was indeed a bad match year.

I've read there has been an Influenza B strain circulating that was not included in the vaccine, but it isn't the only strain out there. This past week two students from the same local school died of flu complications--but they each had a different strain.

Do pharmacies vaccinate young kids? Seems it used to be they didn't. 

I could probably arrange to go to the doctor's office first thing in the morning before many people have been in.

• Sad 2

I was talking to a couple of people about this at church today (nice quiet Sunday since my younger kids were all home sick with dh!) and they both said the flu shot left them with unusually sore arms this year. Anybody else had that experience? I do seem to remember it being worse some years than others.

1 minute ago, maize said:

We got the flu three seasons ago--I was pregnant as well and yes it was awful.

We'd had the shots that year, but it was indeed a bad match year.

I've read there has been an Influenza B strain circulating that was not included in the vaccine, but it isn't the only strain out there. This past week two students from the same local school died of flu complications--but they each had a different strain.

Do pharmacies vaccinate young kids? Seems it used to be they didn't. 

I could probably arrange to go to the doctor's office first thing in the morning before many people have been in.

I had the B strain, which hasn't made the rounds in like 30 years :-(.  I did have a fever for 6 days (highest was 101.5 I think), along with cough and congestion, but it might have been a lot worse for me if I hadn't had the shot and maybe some protection.  From what I'm reading, the A strain is now making its rounds.  I think I remember Walgreens saying they would do young kids when I asked last year.  You can also try a Minute Clinic if you have one around.  You can make appts. for those on-line and one of the drop down selections is vaccines. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, maize said:

I was talking to a couple of people about this at church today (nice quiet Sunday since my younger kids were all home sick with dh!) and they both said the flu shot left them with unusually sore arms this year. Anybody else had that experience? I do seem to remember it being worse some years than others.

I had a little bit of soreness for a day, but not worse than any other time I've had it.  Get it in your non-dominant arm and move your arm around that first day.  After having both Shingles shots in the past several months, the flu shot soreness was nothing!  That Shingles shot HURTS!!!

• Like 1

I've had the flu several times and once was in March. This flu season my DH and I got it in August.  Didn't even now that was possible to get it that time of year. I haven't had one this season because it wasn't even out yet when we came down with it.  I probably should still get it though since there are different strains.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, popmom said:

My husband and I were just discussing this last night. He was reading from an article--apparently it's a very poor match. As in the "expert" was saying it's not worth it. I'll try to find the article. Edit to add...I don't think this is the same article, but it has good info. https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/14/health/flu-vaccine-match/index.html

It probably isn't the same article, because the quoted expert certainly doesn't say "it's not worth it", nor anything of the sort.

"It's not a very good match for B/Victoria," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, referring to the strain. "It's not an awful match, but it's not a very good match." Children are particularly susceptible to influenza B/Victoria. Fauci said even though the match for B/Victoria isn't great, a flu shot can still save your child's life.

The emphasis is mine.

Also from the article:

In addition, the shot will likely prevent infection with the other major strain of the flu that's out there right now. The vaccine is a "a really good match" for that strain, called H1N1.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, maize said:

My arm was hardly sore at all.

But in previous years my CVS comped me the flu shot, and this year they told me that corporate was clamping down on that, so my pocketbook was sore!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maize said:

No soreness for me. The second shingles was another story completely. The first time I’ve ever had a reaction to a vaccine, including fever, very sore arm, and some weird face rash or flushing. But I’m still glad I got it. My reaction was nothing compared to actually getting shingles.

• Like 1

I would, just because of my experience of being in Hong Kong during SARS, when it was hard for the medical personnel to get the tests back fast enough, and they were treating anyone with flu symptoms really aggressively, in some cases causing neurological damage.  I'd probably go to the pharmacy.

• Like 1

I just took my last two kids on Friday.  I heard about the flu being around and thought I should. My daughter, my husband, and I had got it in October.

I took them to Wal-Mart.  They will send a notification to a primary care doctor if you want, but we don’t need to this year.  I have needed a shot record for an activity in the past.  

It took about 20 minutes and we shopped during the “hang around after your shot” period.  

• Like 1

The minor thing has changed for us with not doing FluMist anymore.  Flu Mist could only be at the doctor and was for younger ages.  The shot has been easier for us and it’s not like a tetanus shot or something that hurts more.  

Edit:  anyway we used to have to take kids to the doctor, but now they can go to Wal-Mart, Target, CVS, etc.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

I got a flu shot and a shingles shot at the same time, one in each arm. The flu shot arm was fine but the shingles shot arm was a different story! Every time I moved my arm, I would wince. Plus, it made me feel like crud for about 24 hours. Now the pharmacy called and said it's time for me to come back for the second shingles shot, and I am kind of dreading it...

• Like 1

That article says they the vaccine is a good match for H1N1, which nearly killed my DS24 in 2009 ( hello, swine flu!). My kids all get their shots in October every year, as soon as the vaccine is available.

I was supposed to get my shot at my yearly checkup but that appt has been changed multiple times and I still haven't done it. I was pretty sick last week and may have had a mild flu, based on my symptoms. I'm going to CVS tonight when DH gets home to get my shot. I definitely had the flu four years ago, and it was awful.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I got a flu shot and a shingles shot at the same time, one in each arm. The flu shot arm was fine but the shingles shot arm was a different story! Every time I moved my arm, I would wince. Plus, it made me feel like crud for about 24 hours. Now the pharmacy called and said it's time for me to come back for the second shingles shot, and I am kind of dreading it...

I don’t want to like this ‘cause I just went throught the same thing.  Flu and 1st shingles at once.  The shingles arm was burning as I was walking through the store and I was very sore for 2 days.  My boys kept wanting to lean on that arm 😬.  I just had my 2nd shot on New Year’s Eve.  It didn’t burn this time, but still the same soreness!  I already had a little cold so I didn’t feel any worse after the shot thna before the shot.  I think actual shingles would be worse though!

• Like 2