Menu

dr hive...nutritionist please...

kfeusse

OK...I am 53 and I have decided that it is long past time I face the facts and try to deal with my ever growing waistline  (and I am not pregnant.. 😊 )  I am not a big gal...petite and about 115 pounds.  So, I really don't feel like I need to loose weight really...just a couple inches around my middle. 

I am going to be honest with you all...I do not exercise really (on nice days I will walk about 1.5 miles)...but I haven't done that much since it's cold here.  I do have a basement where I sometime walk in circles there (especially if I am on the phone...I like to walk and talk)....I have fitness tracker and my steps can literally be anywhere from 5000 a day to 15000 a day depending on the day.  Lately it's way more towards the 5000 step than the 15000....but maybe when it gets nicer outside....it will get bigger. 

I also do not eat the best....so I know that needs to change...I learned to cook (from my mom) with lots of cream sauces, pasta, white bread, etc.  

SO.....where do I start?? I know fewer calories...more activity...but then I also know there is something to eating more protein...but protein foods have high calorie counts, right?  What might be some tips or tricks that might help me.  

We live in a rural area, so I do not have access to a gym or anything like that.  I just need some basic guidelines to start a healthier way of life. 

thanks. 

I would keep it simple. Strive to eat more whole foods, unprocessed meat and dairy, legumes, fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, and whole grains. Balance meals with proteins, fats, and carbs with vegetables taking up a good chunk of your plate. Unfortunately, you cannot spot reduce but you can work on gaining strength in your core which can help with the pouchy belly (although I'd guess some is hormonal with your age). Youtube videos with pilate and core focused yoga practice are free and easy to do. 

• Like 1

the reason this came about is that I was trying on dresses and many of them made me look like I was pregnant...and if I could get rid of that...I would have so many more clothing options.  I have lots of friends my age that do not have this issue...but I suppose they have prevented....instead of try to fix after the fact.

or do I just need to learn how to dress differently?  If that is the case...then I need lessons in that? sigh!

Edited by kfeusse

You are definitely at a healthy weight. But I feel your pain. I am post menopausal at 49. Over the past 3 years I went from 115 to 150. I am 5'5". I have lost a little bit--down to 144. I have always been a healthy eater , so it wasn't my eating habits, it was my metabolism. I struggle mightily with acceptance. I have 4 daughters. 2 are recovering from an ED, so I'm very mindful of how I talk (or preferably don't talk at all) about my size, shape, etc. 

When you are post menopausal, it's normal to have more fat around the middle. Normal and even healthy. But I understand the frustration of finding clothing. 

I'm considering HRT, myself. I wouldn't if weight gain were my only issue. Menopause has wreaked havoc with my body from head to toe. 

Bottom line is ALL BODIES ARE GOOD BODIES. And yes, you can expect to get some feathers ruffles on here complaining about being 115 lbs. 😉

Edited by popmom

I will tell you what I'm doing for my own health. 1) Cleaner eating. Minimize processed foods. 2) Regain the joy of cooking. 3) Growing my own veggies. 4) Nothing is off limits. So occasionally indulging in potato chips happens--just not the whole bag. I put some sugar in my tea, okra should be fried in Crisco, etc. I just don't eat fried food on a regular basis. It's a treat. 5) Heavy work--I'm limited somewhat on this due to some health issues, but heavy work is good for your mind and body.

I've had two go rounds with nutritionists in treating my daughters and the emphasis is on mindful/intuitive eating. Maybe Google that and see what you get. 

Edited by popmom

Don't delete. It's an important topic. I've been raked over the coals on here a couple of times for crazy things because people don't know your intent. They make assumptions. And this is a somewhat sensitive topic.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

I've found that by making small but consistent changes in my habits, physical changes happen.  (Yes, even at that age.)  So, I cut out a few things in my diet, I add a few healthier options, and I try and consciously move a lot throughout my day.  That might mean walking to the mailbox 3 blocks away instead of driving there,  going up and down the stairs every time I remember something I need instead of putting it off... things like that.  I'm the type of person that needs to make small changes consistently instead of completely changing my routine.  Small changes lead to more, and it has made a difference in my middle.  It actually has been quite small but consistent changes that make a difference.

47 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

Well, I am not trying to ruffle feathers... This is an real issue for me. My weight emphasizes my middle that much more. 

When I read this--truthfully--my knee jerk reaction is anger. I've got a 14 yr old with binge eating disorder who is overweight because of it. THAT'S a real issue to me. It was the unattainable beauty standards that are foisted upon us at every turn in part that caused this. Most of my daughters, even at a very healthy weight will NEVER have a flat stomach. So I guess I'm the one sensitive to this topic. I just wish women could be free of all this. It makes me sad. My girls have suffered so much. To clarify: you didn't do anything wrong in posing the question. I don't think that at all. It's a pretty universal frustration--one that I share. just complicated by my heart for my girls.

Edited by popmom
  • Sad 1

this may not necessarily be a matter of your weight.
Too many refined carbs make me puffy around the middle. Try this: limit your consumption of pasta, bread, rice and potatoes. Sugar too. Keep it to half of what your current consumption is and see if that helps at all. Drink lots of water. Avoid sugar sweetened beverages. 

• Like 3

I'm your age with the same issues. I apologize upfront if this sounds like an ad; it isn't. I decided to try Figure 8 Fitness ($50 for basic package accessed through Internet). I've been really happy with it. I did the 8-week program (ending around New Year's–not sure I thought that out well, as I was exercising at relatives' houses in a spare bedroom, etc. over holidays!). Anyway, I lost two inches in my waist and two from my hips in the intensive 8-week program (none from my bust, which was a good thing, as my bust measures 32"). I'm not a dancer, and I felt goofy and uncoordinated, but figured I'd give it a try. Now I'm just doing the program three days a week, which is the suggested maintenance. (The 8-week start is six days a week.)

There is an associated FB group and there is also an eating plan, although I didn't use those aspects.

Edited by iamonlyone

wow....let me first again say, I am so sorry if I offended or hurt anybody here.  That was NOT my intent at all.  I also wasn't trying to poke fun or fingers at anybody.  Please forgive me if I offended you.   Again, I was simply clothes shopping and hated how I looked and how hard it was to find clothes that I liked on me.  I am not trying to fit any sort of stereotype...I am just wanting to make improvements in my life that would hopefully be reflected in how my body looks.  

I appreciate the advice given and I look forward to trying the ideas out.  

Thanks...and again I am so sorry for those who have loved ones who struggle with food issues and weight.  I know that is a real thing too.  But please just know if I had even thought this would bring up some sadness and frustration in others, I would have have thought twice about posting.

I am older than you and have had some weight/middle bulge issues in recent years that I didn’t have when I was younger. 

I think there are several ways you can go in terms of nutrition such as toward a KETO direction or toward a Whole 30 direction or a paleo direction depending on what seems to suit you best (you could experiment).  In all cases, dropping the refined sugar, and carbohydrates like bread and pasta would almost certainly be a huge help.

Emphasize real unprocessed foods as much as possible. Vegetables as much as you want, whole fruits in moderation, some meat if you eat that, nuts and seeds in moderation, healthy fats. If you want grain based foods try for whole grains (like brown rice, steel cut oats...) rather than processed breads, cereals, pasta.  

You could put pasta sauces over vegetables like spaghetti squash or shredded or spiralized zucchini and that would probably be much less pudge producing.  

Try to get rid of sugar and foods that are made with sugar (often is lurking in breads, condiments and other places). 

If you are that low in weight but having a belly bulge that is more recent, I'd be wondering if it is truly fat, or if you have bloating or constipation, or if you have diastasis of the muscles in your abdomen, etc. Do you get regular well woman care - it's a very off the wall worry but if you have bloating int he belly checking the ovaries is also a good idea. 

In fact, regardless of reason, starting with a physical is always a good first step. And with nutrition, limiting sugar and processed/refined carbs and eating lots of vegetables and lean protein and some complex carbohydrates and fruit is a good basic plan for most people. Think half the plate veggies, with 1/4 protein and 1/4 some sweet potato or fruit to give you an idea. 

And some strength training is good for posture which can help, and for general fitness. 

• Like 2

One can be unhealthy at any weight/size, I read the OP that by her own admission does not eat well or get much activity (in the winter months at least). 

I lost the 55lbs I gained with baby #1 at 9 months, yet someone (snidely remarked to me) well, you haven't lost your baby weight yet. Hmph. I certainly had but I had considerably less muscle mass, my body was not the same shape/size at all. Weight is a very small bit of the picture. As women pass 30 we loss muscle mass with each passing year, that increases even more so after menopause. So, if one is not exercising or leading a naturally active life that same weight is going to look much different. Also, insulin sensitivity increases with age and hormonal differences lead to weight gain in the belly, not to mention pregnancies weaken those core muscles. A physical certainly is not a bad idea but I imagine it is a combo of all those things. Working on increasing strength (I really like strength training but pilates can work really well for the core) and being mindful to eat more whole foods (watching processed foods as they are not healthy for anyone and we tolerate less as we get older) will go a long way, no crash/fad diet needed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, soror said:

One can be unhealthy at any weight/size, I read the OP that by her own admission does not eat well or get much activity (in the winter months at least). 

I lost the 55lbs I gained with baby #1 at 9 months, yet someone (snidely remarked to me) well, you haven't lost your baby weight yet. Hmph. I certainly had but I had considerably less muscle mass, my body was not the same shape/size at all. Weight is a very small bit of the picture. As women pass 30 we loss muscle mass with each passing year, that increases even more so after menopause. So, if one is not exercising or leading a naturally active life that same weight is going to look much different. Also, insulin sensitivity increases with age and hormonal differences lead to weight gain in the belly, not to mention pregnancies weaken those core muscles. A physical certainly is not a bad idea but I imagine it is a combo of all those things. Working on increasing strength (I really like strength training but pilates can work really well for the core) and being mindful to eat more whole foods (watching processed foods as they are not healthy for anyone and we tolerate less as we get older) will go a long way, no crash/fad diet needed.

I only mention the physical because 1. they can feel for diastatis recti 2. they can and should run some lab work to check blood sugar and A1C to see if that is part of the problem. "skinny fat" is a thing, and although on the one hand I think some "paunch" is normal and natural for all women after a certain age without serious training and probably plastic surgery, if it is to the point she feels she looks pregnant it is worth investigating a bit. Bloating might also indicate a digestive issue to investigate - some people can bloat to the point of looking pregnant due to gas/constipation/inflammation of the bowel. 

but agree that just eating less processed food, more veggies, and moving more etc is the best approach. 

Not sure if this applies here, but I remember reading that women who have had hysterectomies tend to get a paunch or potbelly because when the uterus is removed, the intestines (and maybe other organs? can't remember the details) slump down into that space and that makes the belly look bigger. No idea if that is the case with the OP, but thought I would throw it out there as a possibility.