Menu

Gabapentin and RLS

bethben

Does anyone who is taking Gabapentin know what at the long term side effects are?  It really helps my Restless Leg thing and sleep.  I have been taking 600mg once a day.  I am concerned about long term side effects.  I have tried everything else including magnesium and iron.  As a last resort to find out "why" I was having RLS and iron issues, I did a 23andme test.  Did you know there are genes associated with RLS?  There is one that not only causes low iron absorption (I have trouble actually using the iron in my body), but RLS also.  I'm not a person who was looking for mutated genes to explain things, but when I saw that one, everything made sense.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bethben said:

Does anyone who is taking Gabapentin know what at the long term side effects are?  It really helps my Restless Leg thing and sleep.  I have been taking 600mg once a day.  I am concerned about long term side effects.  I have tried everything else including magnesium and iron.  As a last resort to find out "why" I was having RLS and iron issues, I did a 23andme test.  Did you know there are genes associated with RLS?  There is one that not only causes low iron absorption (I have trouble actually using the iron in my body), but RLS also.  I'm not a person who was looking for mutated genes to explain things, but when I saw that one, everything made sense.  

no, I did not.   I knew about the ferritin levels being affected but not about the genetic component.  Interesting.  I'll have to ask my dd about it.  She's a geneticist and has a high probability of getting it since both myself and my mother (and grandmother and my sister) have it. 

About 6 months ago my dad began having tremors of sort (they looked like a full-body hiccup) that turned out to be a reaction to the gabapentin. He was hospitalized because they thought maybe he was having a stroke. But according to the doctors, he was having some kidney issues, so his body wasn't able to process the gabapentin and it built up in his system, causing the tremors. I don't think the kidney issues had anything to do with the gabapenton-- that was more likely a complication of type 2 diabetes. The dr lowered his gabapentin dose, but now he's only been taking it as needed instead of daily. 

ETA: Rereading the OP I realize it doesn't really pertain to the last part of your question. But in hindsight I told think he was ever told that the risks of side effects was higher if he had kidney issues.

Edited by DesertBlossom
  • Like 1