Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

17 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

"Duration of viral shedding ranged between 8 and 37 days. The median duration of viral shedding was 20·0 days (IQR 17·0–24·0) in survivors, but continued until death in fatal cases.”

Thanks, this is the kind of information I've been looking for. But yikes, 24 days is a long time.

Pen, 211.org just seems to be parroting CDC. I would expect calling to yield just a reading from the same script.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Did I mention that after Arcadia said Target had toilet paper for shipment that I looked and locally I cannot have it shipped or set aside for order pickup. I have to look in store. This seems to be fluctuating day to day.

I checked just for fun 

5DDE86DD-B82E-4B12-8E72-651E31E3B622.png

I just read 3 pages of this thread to catch up..........someone was questioning why planes are still flying in Europe and the answer is they have to if they want the route (gate) to be theirs when this is over https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51809318 so airlines sort of have to fly the nearly empty planes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Arcadia said:

I checked just for fun 

5DDE86DD-B82E-4B12-8E72-651E31E3B622.png

Funny, locally the one "apolcalypse!" item we don't seem to have had a run on is toilet paper.  It's been in stock everywhere I've been - with at least half-full shelves.  Same with paper towels.  No hand sanitizer anywhere though.  And I thought I'd pick up some Cold-Eeze.  That has also vanished everywhere.  Elderberry is still in stock most places, though a bit lower in supply than usual.

36 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

My JMU Prof dad says they are "evaluating over break", but have been told (at least in his department) to be ready to go online if needed. He was one of the ones asking DD for Blackboard advice. 🙂

I wonder how music students will finish the semester. It's not like you can do their stuff online. 

• Confused 1

This is the lady who is infamous for touching her face during a previous press conference 

·
6m

Dr. Sara Cody, the County's Health Officer, talked #COVID19 transmission at today’s Board of Supervisors meeting. "It will spread, but our job and the tools we employ are meant to slow it down," she said. "We want to relieve pressure on our health delivery system."

Dr. Sara Cody, the County's Health Officer, talked #COVID19 transmission at today’s Board of Supervisors meeting.
Edited by Arcadia

58 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

First five cases and 1 death in South Dakota

https://amp.argusleader.com/amp/4999413002?__twitter_impression=true

South Dakota... that’s kind of like it hitting some small town in North part of Italy.   Not a place I’d expect, and really suggestive of widespread 

(I wonder if it’s any help for people to start understanding problem as they realize South Dakota cases weren’t all acquired in other countries?)

Edited by Pen
  • Sad 3

Out of lurking to update on dd in Geneva - the conference in Berlin did get canceled, but the University of Geneva has a professor in quarantine.  Most of the girls at her dorm including her roommate are students there, though some are interns at the UN and WHO.  They are not closing the U in Geneva.  We've talked about common-sense precautions and her diabetes.  The State Department has sent a pretty low-key email basically saying, we're keeping an eye on it and will inform you if we need to.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

https://abc7news.com/health/coronavirus-impact-archdiocese-of-san-francisco-to-close-90-schools/6001212/
“SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Archdiocese of San Francisco announced it will close its 90 schools because a student tested positive for coronavirus.

The announcement came Monday afternoon. The schools are located in San Francisco, San Mateo, and Marin.

"San Francisco Public Health Department confirmed that an ASF student has tested positive for COVID-19. Additional diagnoses of COVID-19 across our schools are likely," officials said in a statement.

All classes in addition to all student-related activities will be canceled from Thursday, March 12 through March 25.“

• Like 2

https://www.businessinsider.com/rsa-coronavirus-attendees-tech-conference-2020-3
“Two attendees of the RSA cybersecurity conference in San Francisco tested positive with coronavirus, after it became one of the few big tech trade shows not to cancel

Cybersecurity company Exabeam says that two employees who attended the RSA Conference in San Francisco have tested positive with coronavirus. 

One of the employees, a 45-year-old man with a heart condition, is very ill, Bloomberg reports.

When a Twitter user asked if the employees were at the company's booth at the 40,000-attendee trade show two weeks ago, the company responded "The two individuals who were at the conference may have been at our booth. If you visited our booth please be vigilant about monitoring yourself for symptoms and following guidelines to prevent possible infection."”

• Sad 3

CDC: If you're sick, stay home...

Me: I am, but for how long??

CDC: ...until a healthcare provider says you can go out.

Me: But I'm not sick enough to go to a doctor, and my local authorities are claiming no community transmission...

CDC: ...and wear a face mask when around family members.

Me: What kind of face mask? And where am I supposed to get a face mask, particularly starting now (i.e., not Amazon) and without leaving my house (not that local stores have any) and lasting indefinitely (so if disposable, IDK how many, and there is definitely some price gouging going on)? To whom does "fever and cough" say, "Let's take on a sewing project with upcycled material, shall we?"

Is this theater to give still-healthy or asymptomatic people confidence? I have no experience singing counterpoint.

Maybe I'll call my doctor tomorrow. Or DS's doctor, who might know more even though pediatricians presumably don't need to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

40 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://abc7news.com/health/coronavirus-impact-archdiocese-of-san-francisco-to-close-90-schools/6001212/
“SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Archdiocese of San Francisco announced it will close its 90 schools because a student tested positive for coronavirus.

The announcement came Monday afternoon. The schools are located in San Francisco, San Mateo, and Marin.

"San Francisco Public Health Department confirmed that an ASF student has tested positive for COVID-19. Additional diagnoses of COVID-19 across our schools are likely," officials said in a statement.

All classes in addition to all student-related activities will be canceled from Thursday, March 12 through March 25.“

I have a child who is supposed to travel to a sporting event in this area this weekend.  They are refusing to cancel at this point, despite advice from the county to stop all non-essential activities.  I hate being "that parent" but this seems really poorly considered to me.  My child's team can't compete without him, so I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I feel like one of the great divides in our nation right now is those who can do math and those who cannot.

Amen, sister. Or just understand math.

@Arcadia That was a somewhat scary interview. I think the rest of us are just weeks behind Lombardy. 850 ICU beds at the start. Currently, 650 ICU beds filled with patients with COVID-19. 

@whitehawk Good luck w/the doc calls.

• Like 3

News from UCLA- https://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/ucla-transitions-to-online-instruction

This is why, after detailed and thoughtful discussion, consultation with experts, and planning and preparation, we have decided to enact the following changes to limit the spread of COVID-19, effective tomorrow, March 11:

• We will suspend in-person classes wherever possible and transition to online platforms through April 10, which is the end of the second week of Spring Quarter.
  • Winter Quarter final exams will be offered remotely. Instructors are asked to communicate with students how final exams, if applicable, will be offered without the need to assemble in person (for example, take home, online or other alternative formats).
  • Students are encouraged to start the Spring Quarter remotely from home. University housing will remain open through Spring Break and beyond for those who need it.
  • We’re transitioning over the next few days to cancel nonessential gatherings of more than 100 people.
  • Campus remains open, including housing, hospitals, clinics and research laboratories.

We will be in touch before April 10 as facts change and we reevaluate these plans.

Edited by Elfknitter.#

Dd's state university is taking a two week spring break then likely going online after that.  It's a big theater/performing arts school so that's going to be rough on a lot of people.  It won't affect her grad program too much.

FIL's assisted living facility has shut down to visitors until further notice.

A local 4-H program that takes place at a county college has been cancelled.

The big county St. Patrick's Day parade is supposedly still on for Saturday.  

49 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Me: But I'm not sick enough to go to a doctor, and my local authorities are claiming no community transmission...

Me: What kind of face mask? And where am I supposed to get a face mask, particularly starting now (i.e., not Amazon) and without leaving my house (not that local stores have any) and lasting indefinitely (so if disposable, IDK how many, and there is definitely some price gouging going on)? To whom does "fever and cough" say, "Let's take on a sewing project with upcycled material, shall we?"

Is this theater to give still-healthy or asymptomatic people confidence? I have no experience singing counterpoint.

Maybe I'll call my doctor tomorrow. Or DS's doctor, who might know more even though pediatricians presumably don't need to.

How about calling and asking when is the soonest the doctors have appointments available.

if not for 4 months this won’t help, but if it’s in a few weeks go ahead and take soonest available 

then say something like “Oh, by the way, we may have Covid-19 in our family.  I am of course hoping we will be asymptomatic by the time of the appointment.   Can you check with the doctor and make sure that an appointment at that point will be fine?”

that might just maybe let you know if they consider an appointment 2, 3, 4 weeks from now to be too soon to potentially expose them and their office.

15 minutes ago, Caraway said:

I have a child who is supposed to travel to a sporting event in this area this weekend.  They are refusing to cancel at this point, despite advice from the county to stop all non-essential activities.  I hate being "that parent" but this seems really poorly considered to me.  My child's team can't compete without him, so I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

I agree wholeheartedly it makes no sense to travel there for nonessential activities.

If you'd like support for being "that parent" you've got it from me.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, kand said:

This is one of the things that indicates how widespread this may be in the US by now. We're starting to see more cases where travelers are bringing it back from the US, meaning it's likely pretty widespread in certain areas (like Seattle).

Like we are the new Iran. 😔

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Caraway said:

Cancel. Some people may be angry, but other parents may be grateful. 

ETA: you would be following the County advice regarding non essential activities 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Chris in VA said:

I wonder how music students will finish the semester. It's not like you can do their stuff online. 

I have no idea-and it's not like music is a small program at JMU. His department (Chemistry and Biochemistry) isn't much better. It's hard to do labs online,and even harder to do research. 

53 minutes ago, Caraway said:

They might pull something like this 

“March 10, 2020, 1:58 PM PDT

Mitty-St. Joe's girls CIF NorCal Open final moved to Miramonte High

A last-minute relocation of the NorCal Open Division girls basketball championship game will result in a longer bus ride for top-seeded Archbishop Mitty, as the Monarchs will now play No. 2 seed St. Joseph Notre Dame tonight at Miramonte High in Orinda. Tip-off is still at 7 p.m. “It's just an interesting turn of events,” SJND interim coach Brian Sato said. “I didn't expect this at all.” The game was originally scheduled to be played Tuesday night at Gunn High in Palo Alto. But Monday night, in lieu of the Santa Clara County ban on gatherings of more than 1,000 people that will take effect Wednesday at 12 a.m., the Palo Alto Unified School District announced stricter limits to no more than 100” https://sports.yahoo.com/m/78b75da2-1844-375b-ae0d-8a0ef9a2e373/mitty-st.-joe%26%2339%3Bs-girls-cif.html

Stanford is going to online for the start of spring quarter. They're already online for finishing off winter quarter. Students are advised not to return to campus until further notice --I assume that means after spring break as many are still there through finals.

7 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Stanford is going to online for the start of spring quarter. They're already online for finishing off winter quarter. Students are advised not to return to campus until further notice --I assume that means after spring break as many are still there through finals.

https://healthalerts.stanford.edu/2020/03/10/spring-quarter-update/

“UNDERGRADUATE HOUSING: Because undergraduates live on our campus in highly communal dormitories and Row houses, with shared bathrooms and dining facilities, we have concluded that reducing the concentration of people in these spaces is essential to helping reduce the risk of virus spread during this next critical phase of COVID-19’s evolution. As such, we are asking undergraduates to leave campus at the end of the quarter if it is possible for them given their personal circumstances. For students receiving financial aid, assistance to travel home will be available where needed.

To support this effort:

• Undergraduates who have already left, or will be leaving, campus as the winter quarter ends should not plan to return to campus until further notice. You will be able to take your coursework virtually, as described above. Exceptions will be available for students who need to return to campus for unavoidable reasons; we know that some international students and other students may not have viable alternatives to returning to campus. Information on requesting these exceptions will be sent in a subsequent email.
  • For undergraduates who are currently on campus and feel they need to remain here through the spring break and the spring quarter, you are welcome to do so. The university will continue to support you through Vaden Health Center and the residences; however, you should know that other university programming will be quite limited. We will be requiring all undergraduates and co-terms residing in undergraduate housing who wish to remain on campus to submit a request through an online web form, which again will be available in a subsequent email. It is important for us to know who remains on campus, in part to provide support to you in the case of illness.”

• Like 2

Florida State University has spring break next week and is telling instructors to be prepared to do all classes remotely after spring break, and telling students to make sure they bring all their academic stuff with them wherever they go for spring break in case they have to complete the semester online.

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Australia:

3 more cases in Vic

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/three-new-coronavirus-cases-in-victoria-closes-st-kilda-east-school-c-739066.amp?__twitter_impression=true

One returned to Melbourne from Seattle

He went to the Mussel and Jazz festival at South Melbourne market and a Rugby Union match at AAMI park

Another worked at Yeshiva-beth Rivkah college in St Kilda.  The school has been closed for cleaning.

A woman in her 20s also tested positive after returning from the US.  She had been to multiple US places.

Oh dear, we go to St Kilda every winter now for my DH to work.  Planning our trip in August now.  We have the son of a dear friend at that Yeshivah from the US

• Sad 2

NO ONE SEEMS CONCERED!
 I Feel like a hypocrite, after following this closely here , on Twitter and YouTube, we just got home from picking up our older married daughter from the airport in Sacramento.  She flew from Houston and besides a few masks, saw or heard nothing about the virus.  Please don’t judge—it was a hard decision to let her come, but we do not get to see her very much at all and we felt like we had a small window till it gets bad.  (tickets have been bought for months though)
We drove fromModesto area, stopped at a Starbucks, got her, ate at a Mexican food restaurant, shopped at HomeGoods (in Elk Grove), and got a Dutch Bro’s on the way home——all so normal, I forgot about wiping down the shopping cart😷

No one at church, neighbors, family, Or friends seem at all concerned (except tp and water are gone at Costco). I’m starting to believe I’m crazy. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pen said:

How about calling and asking when is the soonest the doctors have appointments available.

if not for 4 months this won’t help, but if it’s in a few weeks go ahead and take soonest available 

then say something like “Oh, by the way, we may have Covid-19 in our family.  I am of course hoping we will be asymptomatic by the time of the appointment.   Can you check with the doctor and make sure that an appointment at that point will be fine?”

that might just maybe let you know if they consider an appointment 2, 3, 4 weeks from now to be too soon to potentially expose them and their office.

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

This is my reality.  My DH came home two weeks ago yesterday after spending time in Japan with the wonderful people who helped the Israeli Diamond Princess cruise ship victims. The authorities gave no guidance (didn't even take his temperature), but we got advice from a top infectious disease doc who is a close friend to at least take temps twice a day.  Have done that - no fever, no symptoms.  On Sunday my younger two kids got slight fevers, coughs, and runny/stuffed noses.  Do they have COVID-19?  Who knows!?!  Called their doctor since the sick boy was to have a physical.  Doctor forbade him to come in for a month, but gave me no more advice as to what to do.  Mask, isolate? They will not test (even though our insurance will cover it). I went in though with the forms for camp for all my boys. Make sense. Heck no.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

4 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

@whitehawk — This NPR article says stay home for 72 hours after fever is gone and symptoms are better. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/10/814091024/you-have-a-fever-and-a-dry-cough-now-what

That doesn’t correspond well with information in Lancet etc about viral shedding.   If it is Covid-19, not a run of mill cold. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

That doesn’t correspond well with information in Lancet etc about viral shedding.   If it is Covid-19, not a run of mill cold. 

The article says the 72 hours after fever is gone recommendation is from the Washington State health department. Apparently it’s what they’ve been telling people who are symptomatic but don’t meet testing criteria. 

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Sad 1

@mathnerd @yvonne @Carol in CA

“Information for the Mission College Community on the CoronaVirus

5 p.m. • March 10, 2020

Out of an abundance of caution and based on discussions with the District, State Chancellor's Office and Santa Clara Health Department, Mission College has decided to suspend in-person classes taught on its Santa Clara campus from March 11 to March 29, 2020. Spring Break will still occur from March 30 to April 5.

Online classes will continue as normal. The campus will remain open.

When classes resume on April 6, they will be offered online to the extent they are possible.” http://dev5.missioncollege.edu/student_services/health-services/health-warnings.html

West Valley https://www.westvalley.edu/services/health/coronavirus-advisory.html

“Updated March 10, 2020, 6 PM

All Face-to-Face Classes are Suspended Until Further Notice - Classes Will Shift to an Online Format

Students should not come to campus starting tomorrow, Wednesday, March 11. Classes will shift to an online platform.

Current online classes will continue as scheduled. Some face-to-face classes will restart online next Monday, March 16. Others will start the following Monday, March 23. Your instructor will inform you of the restart date. All students will complete the same amount of course hours needed to satisfy course requirements, regardless of the class restart date.

Activity courses, studio and lab classes - contingencies are being planned, check back here and your campus email for updates.

Spring Break will occur as scheduled, Monday, March 30 - April 3.”

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd @yvonne @Carol in CA

“Information for the Mission College Community on the CoronaVirus

5 p.m. • March 10, 2020

Out of an abundance of caution and based on discussions with the District, State Chancellor's Office and Santa Clara Health Department, Mission College has decided to suspend in-person classes taught on its Santa Clara campus from March 11 to March 29, 2020. Spring Break will still occur from March 30 to April 5

This is us.   My son’s instructor gave directions on how to deal with the class going online this morning.  

Homecolleging is the new homeschooling.  Oberlin has sent an email to students saying to pack up all their stuff next week before Spring Break as if they will be staying away and doing remote classes after break, but they won't make the final decision until March 25th.  It's not too hard for my ds other than missing friends but could be really rough on the Conservatory students - skype lessons, remote junior and senior recitals, one or more fewer orchestra concerts for the term.  Hard too for the Admins to make this decision.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JenneinCA said:

This is us.   My son’s instructor gave directions on how to deal with the class going online this morning.  

It’s our nearest community college but we go Foothill as we do not have a public bus to Mission College.