Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2020/03/09/shut-down-by-coronavirus-schools-scramble-to.html
“March 9, 2020

With school closures stemming from the novel coronavirus escalating, school leaders across the country must wrestle with another dilemma: if schools shut down, their students may not have access to meals. 

Millions of students, in school districts big and small, rely on the free or discounted meals they eat at school. Advocates worry that as more schools close their doors, more children will go hungry. 

“These meals are a very big deal,” said Joel Berg, chief executive officer of Hunger Free America, a New York-based nonprofit. “Almost 30 million kids a day rely on government subsidized school meals. If schools are shut down for weeks at a time, we’re going to have a serious child hunger crisis.” 

As of Monday, 507 U.S. schools had been closed or are scheduled to close, affecting 363,357 students, according to Education Week’s tracking of coronavirus-related shutdowns.”

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Apparently we’re running out of freezers down here in Aus

https://mobile.twitter.com/KristyMayr7/status/1237587730999070720

That I can understand. I ran out of freezer space temporarily when my husband bought a big cheesecake that is supposed to be kept in the freezer 😂 We finished that cheesecake over three days.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, redmom3 said:

NO ONE SEEMS CONCERED!
 I Feel like a hypocrite, after following this closely here , on Twitter and YouTube, we just got home from picking up our older married daughter from the airport in Sacramento.  She flew from Houston and besides a few masks, saw or heard nothing about the virus.  Please don’t judge—it was a hard decision to let her come, but we do not get to see her very much at all and we felt like we had a small window till it gets bad.  (tickets have been bought for months though)
We drove fromModesto area, stopped at a Starbucks, got her, ate at a Mexican food restaurant, shopped at HomeGoods (in Elk Grove), and got a Dutch Bro’s on the way home——all so normal, I forgot about wiping down the shopping cart😷

No one at church, neighbors, family, Or friends seem at all concerned (except tp and water are gone at Costco). I’m starting to believe I’m crazy. 

It's the same where I live, but we have no confirmed cases in our state yet. You're not a hypocrite--you're confused. At least I feel extremely confused. 3 our of my 4 dds traveled for spring break this week. One to Atlanta, one to Savannah, and one to Edmonton, Alberta. like you, these trips were planned well in advance. The trip to Canada clearly is the most risky because of time spent in international airports. She packed disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer for the plane. I do understand that feeling of "am I crazy?" Everywhere I go it's business as usual. Got back from a 2 hour long co-op meeting tonight about classes for next year. Not a word was said about the virus. I deliberately sat in the back row at least 6 feet away from any other people. 

I suspect--and maybe this is crazy--that much of our country feels that they can't do anything other than business as usual, so they post their stupid memes and continue to keep their head in the sand because they feel they have no choice. I mean--I'm a stay at home mom. My husband has the type of job that he can work from home a lot, and he sets his own schedule. Most people can't do this. Does this make any sense? I hope I haven't offended anyone. if this is insensitive, I'll delete.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have a question:  can you estimate from Wuhan how long an outbreak might affect an area?  Ie. If Seattle truly has had the virus circulating for six weeks (or less time if you count from the first deaths) can people realistically extrapolate when we are “safe”?  

I have seen 6-8 weeks mentioned but without implementing the same control measures we won’t necessarily see the same pattern.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have a question:  can you estimate from Wuhan how long an outbreak might affect an area?  Ie. If Seattle truly has had the virus circulating for six weeks (or less time if you count from the first deaths) can people realistically extrapolate when we are “safe”?  

I don’t think so. Wuhan had draconian measures imposed and China can mobilize their PLA, health workers and construction crews. Japan, South Korea and Singapore are all more authoritative than US. Hong Kong people has learned from SARS so they are “semi compliant”.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, popmom said:

It's the same where I live, but we have no confirmed cases in our state yet. You're not a hypocrite--you're confused. At least I feel extremely confused. 3 our of my 4 dds traveled for spring break this week. One to Atlanta, one to Savannah, and one to Edmonton, Alberta. like you, these trips were planned well in advance. The trip to Canada clearly is the most risky because of time spent in international airports. She packed disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer for the plane. I do understand that feeling of "am I crazy?" Everywhere I go it's business as usual. Got back from a co-op meeting tonight about classes for next year. Not a word was said about the virus. I deliberately sat in the back row at least 6 feet away from any other people. 

I suspect--and maybe this is crazy--that much of our country feels that they can't do anything other than business as usual, so they post their stupid memes and continue to keep their head in the sand because they feel they have no choice. I mean--I'm a stay at home mom. My husband has the type of job that he can work from home a lot, and he sets his own schedule. Most people can't do this. Does this make any sense? I hope I haven't offended anyone. if this is insensitive, I'll delete.

Yes.  I’ve been out shopping etc today and doing normal stuff.  This is why the people above giving clear direction is so important.  Because no one wants to be the ridiculous paranoid person that didn’t let their kids go to the school concert etc when it wasn’t necessary.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, popmom said:

My neighbor wants our county to close public schools because she doesn’t want her only child potentially infected. Lots of students depend on schools for free lunch and “childcare” though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My neighbor wants our county to close public schools because she doesn’t want her only child potentially infected. Lots of students depend on schools for free lunch and “childcare” though. 

yes! I saw the post upthread about that. There may come a point when it does make sense to close schools in our area for an extended period, and hopefully both the government and charitable institutions will step up. Of course it might not be as dire as they make it sound. What do the kids do all summer? I was on reduced cost breakfast and lunch when I was a child, but no one provided me meals when school wasn't in session for holidays/breaks. I ate spaghettios and bologna sandwiches.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, popmom said:

What do the kids do all summer? I was on reduced cost breakfast and lunch when I was a child, but no one provided me meals when school wasn't in session for holidays/breaks. I ate spaghettios and bologna sandwiches.

We have schools opened for free lunch during summer. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coronavirus-closing-more-schools-what-happens-students-who-depend-school-n1154181
“To help make it easier for states to operate their school meals programs during the coronavirus outbreak, the USDA is accepting waiver requests — so far approved for Washington state and California — that will allow students to get their meals from a designated site, such as their local school or another off-campus location, then take it home.

Normally, students who participate in free or reduced-price meals can't take their meals to go, but concerns over coronavirus spread in confined spaces have led officials to reevaluate. The waivers run through June 30.

At the Northshore district, all students — no matter their eligibility — are being offered lunches thanks to the help of community groups, Fisher said. It's unclear how many students will take advantage of the meals, but bus drivers are also helping deliver meals for students. The school district learned the importance of being prepared, particularly after last winter's snowstorms closed schools.

"With so much going on, this isn't a time when kids should have to worry about where their next meal is coming from," Fisher added.”

• Like 4

https://abc7news.com/health/tsa-workers-at-san-jose-airport-test-positive-for-covid-19/6002113/
“SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Three Transportation Security Officers who work at Mineta San Jose International Airport have tested positive for novel coronavirus, officials said Tuesday.

The officers are receiving medical care and all TSA employees they have come in contact with over the past 14 days are quarantined at home.

"Screening checkpoints remain open and the agency is working with the CDC, as well as the California Department of Public Health and the Santa Clara County Public Health Department to monitor the situation as well as the health and safety of our employees and the traveling public," a TSA spokesperson said in a statement.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

17 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN20X2R8?__twitter_impression=true

Washington state governor says without real action the state could have 64,000 cases in 8 weeks

Also in my mind a problem is that British Columbia, Canada to the north and Oregon and California to the south also seem to have significant outbreaks. And I am not sure that even with “real action” Washington can be an island unto itself.

• Like 1

school next to the Uni my dd goes to is closed.

She decided to not go to her classes tomorrow. 

She found out from her landlord that the local  to her supermarkets are having a run on feminine sanitary items, so dd thought she better go straight over and buy whatever she could - contributing to the run I guess.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Farrar said:

In terms of the food issue... around here, they open summer breakfast and lunch at several locations in every city ward. They don’t check the kids - they just feed all of them. Is there nothing like that in other places?

No where near me, but I live in a leafy suburb. That's not to say there's no poverty in our school district--there is. But this has made me curious how our urban areas deal with this.

• Like 2

This was posted on a mom group I moderate. It was very helpful for me to understand my personal risk and my risk at inadvertently contributing to the death of another person. This helped me understand the risks involved with social distancing measures. It appeals to the way I think because I am a numbers person.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/whats-your-risk-dying-covid-19-inadvertently-death-someone-scott?fbclid=IwAR3GAUlutxl-ZEtKg04SHzAfxWOcMR4y6xTJxv8NALJllz56ceSG1-xRAIY

Copied a summary graphic:

No alt text provided for this image

Edited by calbear
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

https://ktla.com/news/california/most-california-coronavirus-patients-are-between-18-and-64-new-data-shows/

“California officials on Tuesday released age breakdowns of the coronavirus cases so far as the spread of the disease continued.

The data showed 91 cases of people 18-64 and 60 cases of people 65 and over. There were only two cases of people younger than 18.

There is growing alarm about the toll coronavirus is taking on the elderly, who account for the vast majority of the deaths in the United States.

People at higher risk include those over the age of 70 and people with underlying medical conditions such as diabetes, obesity, asthma, disease of the heart, lung or kidney and those with weakened immune systems. If someone who falls in one of these categories does get sick, early diagnosis is important to allow more time to treat the patient, which may include putting them on oxygen or, when necessary, a ventilator to help them breathe if their lungs begin to fail.”

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/taiwan-prison-join-covid19-fight-with-mask-factory-coronavirus-12525718

“But after the coronavirus spread to Taiwan they switched to making masks, putting together some 52,000 face coverings since mid-February.

Sporting a grey face mask himself, a 50-year-old inmate surnamed Yuh said he was keeping his family close to heart as he worked.

"When they came to see me, they said it was very difficult to buy face mask out there. I said to them 'Daddy is making face masks here, and that maybe you will have the benefit and the opportunity to use it'," he told AFP.

"Every time I sew face masks, I think to myself that it can bring some security to my family."

The masks are sold for around NT$25 (US$0.83) each and the inmates are paid a small wage which they can spend within the prison.

Yen Chih-hong, a Taipei Prison official who helps run the scheme, said inmates in the prison now make around 1,000 face masks daily, up from an initial 450 as orders keep increasing.

"They are very willing to work extra shifts to fill in the orders ... sometimes I have to ask them to take a break," he said.

Nearby Hong Kong, which is suffering widespread face masks shortages, has long used prison labour to make surgical masks, primarily for government and healthcare workers.

The operation there is far larger with prisoners able to churn out more than a million masks a month.

In recent weeks, prison staff have even joined inmates to bolster their ranks.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, whitehawk said:

Thanks, this is the kind of information I've been looking for. But yikes, 24 days is a long time.

Pen, 211.org just seems to be parroting CDC. I would expect calling to yield just a reading from the same script.

Still shedding...but this study shows that after a certain date, what you're shedding is likely not contagious.

"importantly, the scientists could not grow viruses from throat swabs or sputum specimens after day 8 of illness from people who had mild infections."

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/09/people-shed-high-levels-of-coronavirus-study-finds-but-most-are-likely-not-infectious-after-recovery-begins/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, redmom3 said:

I meant to hit like/love. I don’t do this enough on my iPad. So sorry😂. I do totally agree with you. When we don’t know what to do we tend to just keep doing what we are doing. 

thanks lol. sorry. I'm always paranoid when I post here that I'm going to say something that gets misinterpreted or offends someone. 🙂

• Like 1

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/what-do-working-parents-do-when-coronavirus-closes-local-schools-n1150671
“Yet while white-collar workers may have the luxury of being able to work from their kitchen tables on their laptops, many lower-wage jobs require workers to be present.

"Low-wage jobs are not ones that can be done remotely," said Judy Conti, government affairs director for the National Employment Law Project, a nonprofit advocacy group for low-wage workers. "Someone has to show up to cook the hamburger and wash the floor."

That leaves families facing school closings and living paycheck to paycheck with the choice of taking care of their children or putting food on their table.

"It could be utterly devastating," Conti said in an interview.

Workers may also have little — if any — paid or unpaid leave. If they do have sick leave, taking care of their children during a broader health scare may not qualify. In the best-case scenario, they may have only a few days available.

"Do they have money for other child care, and if not, do they leave perhaps young children alone for longer than should be so they can keep their job?" Conti asked.

Employers who don't know when their employees will get back to work may choose to lay them off. Working families earning lower wages have fewer protections unless they belong to a union that helps guarantee them.

Children who qualify for free breakfast and lunch at their school may miss out, while their parents who stay home to take care of them may be making less money to put food on the table.”

• Sad 7

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/educators-scramble-bring-classes-cloud-coronavirus-shuts-schools-n1154636

“Whether administered by the school or a private company, online lessons are only effective if you can access them. According to the most recent government data, only 61 percent of children ages 3 to 18 had internet access at home.

“In our rural communities, decent internet isn’t always an option,” said Jessica Brogley, who teaches education technology at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. “We do have a wealth of digital tools for learning, collaborating and communicating, but if teachers and students don’t have access, their value is useless.”

While cell phones, tablets and gaming systems have created a generation of tech-savvy kids accustomed to using online platforms for learning within their classrooms, it’s unclear how effective cloud-based learning can be for younger students and those with special needs, who often interact with technology with the help of an aide or teacher.

“The independence, that’s tough,” said Brogley. A simple change in schedule from a structured setting may be difficult for children who lack the maturity or drive to learn mostly on their own, she added.

“It’s a lot to ask of kids, honestly.””

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://ktla.com/news/california/most-california-coronavirus-patients-are-between-18-and-64-new-data-shows/

“California officials on Tuesday released age breakdowns of the coronavirus cases so far as the spread of the disease continued.

The data showed 91 cases of people 18-64 and 60 cases of people 65 and over. There were only two cases of people younger than 18.

There is growing alarm about the toll coronavirus is taking on the elderly, who account for the vast majority of the deaths in the United States.

People at higher risk include those over the age of 70 and people with underlying medical conditions such as diabetes, obesity, asthma, disease of the heart, lung or kidney and those with weakened immune systems. If someone who falls in one of these categories does get sick, early diagnosis is important to allow more time to treat the patient, which may include putting them on oxygen or, when necessary, a ventilator to help them breathe if their lungs begin to fail.”

Yes but...   can’t do early diagnosis if there’s refusal to test until person already has pneumonia and other possible illnesses are ruled out first. 😡

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, StellaM said:

So, apparently in AU we are doing nothing for casual workers who need to self-isolate, because they will 'live off their savings'. Note: they had their penalty rates reduced last year, so their saving capacity has been diminished for some time. So sick casuals will be going to work and spreading the virus, thanks Australian government!!

Fever clinic set up at my local hospital, but they won't test anyone who hasn't had o/s travel, or is a close contact of someone with the virus. A teacher from school went to the clinic with symptoms and was refused testing. Thanks NSW government!

Three kids in just one of my classes had been out for two days with fever and a cough - their parents brought them to school today because their fever was gone. They are still coughing. Is it coronavirus? No-one knows...they're not being tested. I won't be snarky about the parents, some of whom are probably casual workers who - oh! can't take time to live on their savings while they keep their kids out of school for at least 14 days.

Also? The bus was packed and the woman next to me was sneezing constantly. I have to believe that it was allergies. 

I got Vit D3 and probiotics ( one of the other teachers said there'd been info from John Hopkins about getting on probiotics? Idk but I'm taking them.

I cancelled work this afternoon so I could come home from Job 1 and rest.

No idea on probiotics, but N acetyl cysteine, like D3, May be helpful both for lungs and immunity.  And if you are choosing an oil (for salad, for example) maybe favor Olive oil  right now.  It may be beneficial.  

• Like 3

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/coronavirus-updates-live-u-s-europe-brace-infection-spread-italy-n1153801/ncrd1154946#liveBlogHeader

“Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, warned Tuesday that coronavirus will alter the American way of life — even in areas of the country that have yet to report cases.

Speaking alongside Vice President Mike Pence at the White House coronavirus briefing, Fauci said,  "We would like the country to realize that as a nation, we can't be doing the kinds of things we were doing a few months ago."

"It doesn't matter if you're in a state that has no cases or one case, you have to start taking seriously what you can do now that if and when the infections will come and they will come, sorry to say, sad to say, they will," he said.

Fauci urged people to follow the guidelines to counter the virus on the government's website, coronavirus.gov.

"This is the minimum that we should be doing. Everybody should be saying all hands on deck, this is what we need to do," he said.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I have googled N acetyl cysteine, but I don't really understand what it is, or how it might interact with other medications?

I don’t know about interaction with other things.  Here’s a drug reaction database https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/acetylcysteine,nac.html

Basically, it is a supplement, usable, form of the amino acid cysteine.  (A normal amino acid, protein building block,  It is a precursor to I think cystine and definitely to glutathione, and involved in formation of taurine. )

These are all involved in huge numbers of body processes including detoxification (NAC is used in Emergency Departments to counteract acetaminophen (Paracetamol?) poisonings, particularly protecting the liver. It has antianxiety actions, blood pressure lowering, and lung support aspects.  And a bunch else 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Pen said:

I can’t read WSJ due to paywall, but National Guard is disturbing.

It does give one pause, but the National Guard often gets pulled in to do grunt work for communities. Basic training/boot camp trainees also get tasked sometimes.  I spent a couple days filling sandbags in Biloxi, MS in preparation for a hurricane as a USAF trainee, (and then spent a day hauling tree limbs from property after the storm).

What I read is that the NG is being tasked to help clean and disinfect the area, not to keep people contained, which seems par for the course for what a lot of Guardsmen get tasked with. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MissLemon said:

It does give one pause, but the National Guard often gets pulled in to do grunt work for communities. Basic training/boot camp trainees also get tasked sometimes.  I spent a couple days filling sandbags in Biloxi, MS in preparation for a hurricane as a USAF trainee, (and then spent a day hauling tree limbs from property after the storm).

What I read is that the NG is being tasked to help clean and disinfect the area, not to keep people contained, which seems par for the course for what a lot of Guardsmen get tasked with. 

👍 yep already figured that out

ng concerns me even just because calling up NG around here means at least troubles... in my area usually severe wildfires. 

11 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I have googled N acetyl cysteine, but I don't really understand what it is, or how it might interact with other medications?

Acetylcysteine is a mucolytic drug.  It breaks down mucus in the lungs. A trade name for the drug is Mucomyst.  Mucomyst is prescription only in the US.  

https://www.goodrx.com/mucomyst/what-is#before_using_drug_interactions

A dietary supplement with a similar name is N Acetyl L Cysteine.  I have no idea how it relates chemically to the prescription version, but it is purported to help with lung function.  

https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item01534/n-acetyl-l-cysteine?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZzzBRCKARIsANwXaeKT5y26CFaW7Zeu2MEK3KCCrhEBOEhnUEBHfCPfAYNh7bAeseXi9gMaAvu8EALw_wcB

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, MissLemon said:

Acetylcysteine is a mucolytic drug.  It breaks down mucus in the lungs. A trade name for the drug is Mucomyst.  Mucomyst is prescription only in the US.  

https://www.goodrx.com/mucomyst/what-is#before_using_drug_interactions

A dietary supplement with a similar name is N Acetyl L Cysteine.  I have no idea how it relates chemically to the prescription version, but it is purported to help with lung function.  

https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item01534/n-acetyl-l-cysteine?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZzzBRCKARIsANwXaeKT5y26CFaW7Zeu2MEK3KCCrhEBOEhnUEBHfCPfAYNh7bAeseXi9gMaAvu8EALw_wcB

Thanks.  This is important in that the drug database may be about the prescription drug, not the dietary supplement.  

The one I mean is NAC the dietary supplement 

for example: 

NOW Supplements, NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine) 1,000 mg, Free Radical Protection*, 120 Tablets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KT3H13C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_criAEbB9MQ6R2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Work in key industries and public transportation will resume in parts of Hubei province, Chinese government says”

I’m not sure what that will actually mean.  The bbc dude on twitter says it feels normal because the buses are running in Beijing.  But when you looking inside the buses no one is there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

There is a warning about using NAC if you have asthma. 
https://www.drugs.com/disease-interactions/acetylcysteine,nac.html#asthma

There has been at least one case of death in a “brittle asthmatic” patient who was given NAC by injection to try to counteract acetaminophen overdose.

however it is sometimes considered positive when taken as an oral supplement:

“In addition to relieving COPD and bronchitis, NACmay improve other lung and respiratory tract conditions like cystic fibrosis, asthma and pulmonary fibrosis, as well as symptoms of nasal and sinus congestion due to allergies or infections ( 24 ).Sep 26, 2018
Healthline › nutrition › nac-benefits
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

There is a warning about using NAC if you have asthma. 
https://www.drugs.com/disease-interactions/acetylcysteine,nac.html#asthma

Yes! thank you for sharing. I have asthma and have been leery of trying it for this reason. ETA: just saw Pen's post, so maybe I shouldn't write if off. Maybe someone will post on my asthma thread about this.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, popmom said:

Yes! thank you for sharing. I have asthma and have been leery of trying it for this reason. ETA: just saw Pen's post, so maybe I shouldn't write if off. Maybe someone will post on my asthma thread about this.

Here’s the case I know of where there was a problem:

https://emj.bmj.com/content/19/6/594

you can read that and see if you think you fit.

note the amount of NAC was also huge, 15 grams.

I might take 1-3 grams in the course of a day, definitely not 15 grams. 

• Like 1

Google translate from la repubblica

it looks like the slight apparent slow down isn’t an actual slowdown but because they are out of space to admit any more patients.

Gori's tweet: "Patients who cannot be treated are left to die." Lombardy wants to move on to a next step: close offices and stop buses and metros.
March 11, 2020

1 'of reading
The measures to contain the infection are tight with Italy declared "protected area", but it seems not enough. Not yet. Lombardy wants to move to a next step: close offices and stop buses and metro. The idea is to leave only the grocery stores and pharmacies open, close bars and restaurants and stop production. And Conte is thinking about it: "Explain the details to me"

Hypothesis on which the mayor of Bergamo, Giorgio Gori, who was among the first to ask for the closure of Lombardy and now in a Tweet warns not to be "misled" by the data of hospitalized patients in intensive care: “It seems that growth is only slowing down and instead it is only because there are no more places (few are added with great effort). Patients who cannot be treated are left to die. "

And while Milan is preparing for the total block of activities, the Lombardy model could be extended to all of Italy. In Campania the region already has the Campania Region closes barber shops, hairdressers, beauty centers. In Emilia also closed markets, ice cream parlors and piadinerias.

• Sad 5

1st death in Indonesia

UK have cut interest rates.  BBC doesn’t have details yet.  But I think it’s from .75 pc to .25 pc.  Not much further to go.

cases jumped to over 200 new again in South Korea, mostly in Daegu but with clusters linked to a call centre and dance school in Seoul

Biden and Sanders are cancelling election rallies.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Thanks 1

$15bn stimulus package in Aus.  The apprentice payments sound good and there is a one of payment for pensioners and Newstart but mostly skewed toward business.  No mention on casual workers.  Incentives for tourism industry to put people in training rather than layoffs may be positive.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-11/coronavirus-stimulus-package-to-include-billions-for-apprentices/12046688?pfmredir=sm

• Like 2

My husband's employer is doing a trial run of employees working from home one day this week.  50% of the staff will work from home on Thursday, and then 100% of the staff will work from home one day next week to see how it goes. One of their employees in the UK office tested positive for COVID.    

My sister posted on fb that she has a fever of 102, but her doctor isn't testing her for anything. "We'll just assume it's strep and treat for that", they said. And all her choir friends are like "Oh, but you are still going to sing in the concert this weekend, right?" WHAT?! NO! (But knowing my sister, she'll still sing in the concert, no matter what). 

My dad still plans to go on several airplane trips over the next few weeks, to visit other septuagenarians in worse health than him: his sister with Parkinson's and his BIL with a pacemaker and heart disease.  And then continue on to my cousin's baby shower in May.  What could go wrong!  

I'm kind of in the middle of a low-level freak out from the cognitive dissonance of the news being so, so bad and everyone I see acting like it's No Big Deal. 

• Sad 9

5 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Apparently we’re running out of freezers down here in Aus

https://mobile.twitter.com/KristyMayr7/status/1237587730999070720

I get those feels!
My regular and small chest freezer are full, as per usual, but I still have a strong desire to be whipping up precooked meals to squeeze in there. It’s not like I’m doing a whole lot else lately. I’ve definitely perused online, just haven’t been able to justify it... so far, lol.

(I wanted another before all of this, so it’s not *just a pandemic hoard in my eyes! It strengthens my desire, though.)

• Like 2