Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

tI have three sites bookmarked that have world maps of this.  ONE - has number of cases as percent of population.   per million of population - Italy is THREE TIMES WORSE than china!  think about that!  no wonder medical personal there are freaking out that they can't handle it.

I do think it's irresponsible any flights are allowed to come from there without serious screening.

elsewhere - average incubation period is five days, 1 / 100 are more than 14 days.

eta: I linked it elsewhere - the head of another nursing home here where five patients have it, and one has died - has said what has surprised him most is "how harsh this is".  he didn't expect it to be as bad as what he is seeing first hand among the residents at the nursing home.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

I keep thinking that if the precautions being taken are effective, people will just claim that it was all overblown. "See, the news media was just trying to scare us! We didn't all die!" Without the precautions, this virus could spread like the flu has this year and lots of people will get sick and a significant number, especially elderly, could die. I guess I'd rather take precautions to prevent the worst scenerio and then listen to people whine about how it was all just a plot by the media/political party/government/whoever to scare us than to find out how bad it can get.

Yes. But there's always a group of people who feel the need to play "holier (or wiser) than thou" even when there's zero logic to doing so. Most of us should ignore them, IMO.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Pen said:

Where will international students go, I wonder.

My kids' universities have made no announcement about classes going virtual (in spite of one of them being in Amherst, right next to Amherst College that is doing just that - in fact, they actually made an announcement right after Amherst's that they had no plans to do so yet...)  Ugh.  At least all my kids are in apartments with kitchens, but they're all still working and attending classes...

One of my dds has a roommate from South Africa.  She has said she'll go home till this blows over if classes go all online.  

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, StellaM said:

@Pen

Than.

I’ll go delete quotes as soon as done with this reply. 

Unless you have health reason not to, personally if I were in your circumstances, I’d at least supplement with 1000iu

D3 daily. 

(I am taking quite a lot more 10-15,000iu along with A and K2 and sunflower seeds for E.   I referenced a study on up to 15Kiu safety.  

Of course if tested supplementing would Change test results

• Like 1

Even as Chinese research shows infection 4 meters away at the other end of a bus, US and NZ guidance for self-isolation talks about risk being within one or two m for at least 10 or 15 minutes. Lots of disconnects here.

I suspect DS and I have it (my temperature was 99.1F this afternoon, not a fever technically but quite high for me--I'm nearly always in the 96es and 97s--and we have mild respiratory symptoms). We've been at home since Sunday, except I stopped into a pharmacy yesterday for OTC cold medicine for him and thermometer covers. DH has been going to work. I wish the US had an equivalent of the UK's 111. My local government seems to be clinging to the idea that our area's only cases are those brought in from Seattle and Boston; I think that's magical thinking, especially since Seattle Guy was loose in the metro area for a week before he entered isolation (and it's been another 9 days since).

Looking for clear guidance on how long to remain at home once symptoms abate, preferably from a physician rather than a government body. Link me?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Dh's university in Ohio just shifted all classes online through April 13. I'm relieved and think it's a good public health move, despite the enormous disruption to so many people's lives.

Now I'm wondering what's going to happen when every professor and college student in the US logs onto Zoom at the same time....

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 3

Wanted to add that my husband told me earlier today that the diocesan k-12 school (in which we live) is shut down because too many teachers can't come, because they live in Bethlehem or the surrounding areas and can't leave for 30 days at least. People are worried about supermarkets (not that there  are many to begin with) not getting food. 

Also tbe St. George's pilgrim college is suspending courses for all of April. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Even as Chinese research shows infection 4 meters away at the other end of a bus, US and NZ guidance for self-isolation talks about risk being within one or two m for at least 10 or 15 minutes. Lots of disconnects here.

I suspect DS and I have it (my temperature was 99.1F this afternoon, not a fever technically but quite high for me--I'm nearly always in the 96es and 97s--and we have mild respiratory symptoms). We've been at home since Sunday, except I stopped into a pharmacy yesterday for OTC cold medicine for him and thermometer covers. DH has been going to work. I wish the US had an equivalent of the UK's 111. My local government seems to be clinging to the idea that our area's only cases are those brought in from Seattle and Boston; I think that's magical thinking, especially since Seattle Guy was loose in the metro area for a week before he entered isolation (and it's been another 9 days since).

Looking for clear guidance on how long to remain at home once symptoms abate, preferably from a physician rather than a government body. Link me?

Not as good as 111, nor as specifically medical only, and not nationwide, but try dialing 211

snd if you do dial 211 would you mind reporting what you find?

I don’t think there is clear guidance

????

I think time at home would be minimum 14 days, and if possible to wear mask and use super hygiene for others sake for a month or so. It doesn’t seem to be clear how long people can shed virus even where lots of testing is done 

or if some stop, then start again

Edited by Pen

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

BNO:  Testing at hospitals in the southern Netherlands shows 4% of health care workers is infected with coronavirus, officials say. 1,097 employees were tested, so roughly 45 of them were positive.

Swearword!!!

• Like 1

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Coronavirus-live-updates-Six-dead-in-Washington-15100710.php

“1:55 p.m. Governor says 157 people have tested positive in California: Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a news conference that 157 people in California have tested positive for coronavirus. That number increased by 24 from Monday, he said. A total of 1,075 individuals have been tested in California.

2:06 p.m. California expands testing capability: The state now has 18 labs with 7,675 tests currently available, Gov. Gavin Newsom said. A 19th lab will begin testing shortly. The first commercial lab, Quest in San Juan Capistrano, began testing Monday, and has tested 100 individuals so far. In the coming weeks, that lab should have the capacity to process 1,200 tests. In addition, two other Quest labs are expected to open by roughly March 24, Newsom said. After all three Quest labs are up and running, commercial testing is expected to have the capacity to test 5,000 to 5,500 individuals per day. Two state hospitals are conducting their own tests, and more hospitals are expected to do the same. Only 800 people had been tested as of Monday.”

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Anyone heard anything wrt VA colleges? JMU doesn't seem to be doing anything. Kids are on Spring Nbreak til Monday. Dd just got diagnosed with the flu today. 

Not VA yet, but I just heard American University is extending spring break and I believe going to on-line.  I know University of MD just cancelled a big Junior Olympics swim meet for this weekend.  I think it is a matter a time, but haven't heard of a VA school yet.

I'll check my friends with kids at VT (also on spring break) and see if they heard anything.  DH went to JMU undergrad :-).  I hope your DD is feeling better soon!!!

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

I'm not upset by it and it doesn't scare me... but it does seem like maybe they should have been thinking about this stuff a month ago.

Isn't that an understatement! Except so many people still believe it is "just like the flu." I actually talked to someone IRL last night who believes that. When I tried to get him to understand the differences in terms of novel vs. some immunization, contagiousness, severity, hospitalization rate, death rate, etc, he shook his head and said it is only bad for "old people." I mentioned people with high blood pressure & he smiled & said he has low blood pressure. Just glad I'm not married to him. (Husband of one of my friends.) 

I'm not freaking out. I am not worried so much since I have been thinking & preparing for over a month. If I'd believed that as long as I "wash my hands, don't lick handrails, and don't travel to China" that I won't catch it (actual quote from someone's comment from elsewhere on the internet), I might have ended up in an emotional handbasket when it shows up next door.

• Like 4

Australia:

Southern cross universities are closing their Lismore and Gold Coast campuses after a Phillipines based staff member fell ill on his return home after attending workshops at both. 

University of Queensland in Brisbane has issued a warning after one student tested positive.

4 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Isn't that an understatement! Except so many people still believe it is "just like the flu." I actually talked to someone IRL last night who believes that. When I tried to get him to understand the differences in terms of novel vs. some immunization, contagiousness, severity, hospitalization rate, death rate, etc, he shook his head and said it is only bad for "old people." I mentioned people with high blood pressure & he smiled & said he has low blood pressure. Just glad I'm not married to him. (Husband of one of my friends.) 

I'm not freaking out. I am not worried so much since I have been thinking & preparing for over a month. If I'd believed that as long as I "wash my hands, don't lick handrails, and don't travel to China" that I won't catch it (actual quote from someone's comment from elsewhere on the internet), I might have ended up in an emotional handbasket when it shows up next door.

I just talked with someone who informed me that those with health conditions that this would harm have already quarantined themselves.  They could not get that not everyone has nor that high blood pressure was also a health condition this could affect.  Along with making fun of those who decided to stock up on Prescription medicines.  I could not eye roll more. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

If I hear one more person argue that the flu has more deaths and all these precautions are just hysteria, I think I'll scream. It makes sense to stop the spread of this NOW. We don't want to have even a tiny percentage of the number of people who got the flu this year getting Coronavirus. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Sigh.  Meanwhile, this is what the state university just sent out - like just 4 hours ago.  It does not reference the state of emergency, one can hope this was sent before that developed??  I think this was pretty much reminding everyone that even if Amherst College was doing something proactive, UMass Amherst wasn't: 

As developments warrant, we are continually assessing the situation in terms of the best course of action for the unique needs of the University, and at this time, campus operations are ongoing without interruption. Our preparations are guided by our own campus emergency operations professionals in consultation with the UMass President’s Office, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the Federal Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Campus decisions related to this rapidly evolving situation are made in this context and may differ in some cases from those of other institutions, including Amherst College, which announced today that it will move to remote learning after spring break. 

• Sad 3

Dd#2 did a college tour today locally. The school is on spring break so only athletes were on campus. Admissions had not heard that ACT might selectively cancel April testing. One Adcom pooh-poohed my mention of so many colleges going online-only after spring break. "Only 20,  just a fraction of the nation." I pointed out "so far." The other Adcom in the room admitted to wondering about all the students coming back after they've been "all over." I'm pretty sure this (small) college doesn't have a COVID-19 policy yet. However, they do have almost twice as many online students as on-campus students, so they will probably be fine if they do go online only. The professors will be the hardest hit because the local hospital only has about 13 beds...

Edited by RootAnn
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Just did that.  Also,. my rheumatologist told me to skip my biologic if I am sick and also skip my one of two dmards- Arava.  I can still take Plaquenil and probably have to raise Medrol too.

Yeah, kinda feeling like Plaquenil is liquid gold right now. Have you been following the studies?!!

• Like 1

Australia:

3 more cases in Vic

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/three-new-coronavirus-cases-in-victoria-closes-st-kilda-east-school-c-739066.amp?__twitter_impression=true

One returned to Melbourne from Seattle

He went to the Mussel and Jazz festival at South Melbourne market and a Rugby Union match at AAMI park

Another worked at Yeshiva-beth Rivkah college in St Kilda.  The school has been closed for cleaning.

A woman in her 20s also tested positive after returning from the US.  She had been to multiple US places.

• Sad 1

Target just sent an email out to customers stating that they are upping payroll hours to do increased cleaning in stores (including cleaning touch screen checkout monitors every 30 min). They are also increasing limits on high demand items. 

Did I mention that after Arcadia said Target had toilet paper for shipment that I looked and locally I cannot have it shipped or set aside for order pickup. I have to look in store. This seems to be fluctuating day to day.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Anyone heard anything wrt VA colleges? JMU doesn't seem to be doing anything. Kids are on Spring Nbreak til Monday. Dd just got diagnosed with the flu today. 

My JMU Prof dad says they are "evaluating over break", but have been told (at least in his department) to be ready to go online if needed. He was one of the ones asking DD for Blackboard advice. 🙂

• Sad 1

https://www.thelancet.com/pb-assets/Lancet/pdfs/S014067362305663.pdf
“Added value of this study In this retrospective cohort study of adult inpatients in
two hospitals in Wuhan, China, we found increasing odds of in-hospital death associated with older age (odds ratio 1·10, 95% CI 1·03–1·17; p=0·0043), higher Sequential Organ Failure Assessment (SOFA) score (5·65, 2·61–12·23; p<0·0001), and d-dimer levels greater than 1·0 μg/L (18·42, 2·64–128·55; p=0·0033) on admission. Duration of viral shedding ranged between 8 and 37 days. The median duration of viral shedding was 20·0 days (IQR 17·0–24·0) in survivors, but continued until death in fatal cases.”

ETA: I bolded, the quirky formatting is due to the pdf.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 6

17 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

"Duration of viral shedding ranged between 8 and 37 days. The median duration of viral shedding was 20·0 days (IQR 17·0–24·0) in survivors, but continued until death in fatal cases.”

Thanks, this is the kind of information I've been looking for. But yikes, 24 days is a long time.

Pen, 211.org just seems to be parroting CDC. I would expect calling to yield just a reading from the same script.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Did I mention that after Arcadia said Target had toilet paper for shipment that I looked and locally I cannot have it shipped or set aside for order pickup. I have to look in store. This seems to be fluctuating day to day.

I checked just for fun 

5DDE86DD-B82E-4B12-8E72-651E31E3B622.png

I just read 3 pages of this thread to catch up..........someone was questioning why planes are still flying in Europe and the answer is they have to if they want the route (gate) to be theirs when this is over https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51809318 so airlines sort of have to fly the nearly empty planes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Arcadia said:

I checked just for fun 

5DDE86DD-B82E-4B12-8E72-651E31E3B622.png

Funny, locally the one "apolcalypse!" item we don't seem to have had a run on is toilet paper.  It's been in stock everywhere I've been - with at least half-full shelves.  Same with paper towels.  No hand sanitizer anywhere though.  And I thought I'd pick up some Cold-Eeze.  That has also vanished everywhere.  Elderberry is still in stock most places, though a bit lower in supply than usual.

36 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

My JMU Prof dad says they are "evaluating over break", but have been told (at least in his department) to be ready to go online if needed. He was one of the ones asking DD for Blackboard advice. 🙂

I wonder how music students will finish the semester. It's not like you can do their stuff online. 

• Confused 1

This is the lady who is infamous for touching her face during a previous press conference 

·
6m

Dr. Sara Cody, the County's Health Officer, talked #COVID19 transmission at today’s Board of Supervisors meeting. "It will spread, but our job and the tools we employ are meant to slow it down," she said. "We want to relieve pressure on our health delivery system."

Dr. Sara Cody, the County's Health Officer, talked #COVID19 transmission at today’s Board of Supervisors meeting.
Edited by Arcadia

58 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

First five cases and 1 death in South Dakota

https://amp.argusleader.com/amp/4999413002?__twitter_impression=true

South Dakota... that’s kind of like it hitting some small town in North part of Italy.   Not a place I’d expect, and really suggestive of widespread 

(I wonder if it’s any help for people to start understanding problem as they realize South Dakota cases weren’t all acquired in other countries?)

Edited by Pen
  • Sad 3