Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

9 hours ago, Farrar said:

I need to stop reading this thread. 

I am feeling like I am going to have to stop reading this board for awhile. Between this thread, the threads with people who are sick, people trying to prevent getting sick...I feel like I'm gonna catch the flu from the forum!!

I don't even know a lot of sick people right now IRL but a few minutes on here is making me anxious about breathing in public.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

Thank you for this, did not know about it. We went to a local university campus today to attend an event. Lots of people wearing masks there.

There are quite a few boardies living in our county. Less people out shopping today but we were thinking it is because of Super Bowl.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I don't even know a lot of sick people right now IRL but a few minutes on here is making me anxious about breathing in public.

Trying being one of those recently sick people and fearing walking by people in the stores who are coughing or sneezing -- LOL!  I certainly don't want the flu again -- LOL!

1 hour ago, EmseB said:

I am feeling like I am going to have to stop reading this board for awhile. Between this thread, the threads with people who are sick, people trying to prevent getting sick...I feel like I'm gonna catch the flu from the forum!!

Lol

i was shopping the other day and there were people coughing everywhere.  I think just because I was noticing them.  I did my usual “push the button on the lift” to ds who thinks that pushing lift buttons is his life mission.  Then I was like ah no... not with your finger ahh too late.  The other dude in the life was having a good laugh at the paranoid mum.

For those who are interested in epidemiology & infectious diseases in general, there was a Canadian drama show about it that was added to Amazon Prime video recently.  It's a show called ReGenesis.  Some of it is way over the top, but it's an entertaining thing to stream when you're working out.  As an aside, I think it was Ellen Page's first role.  She played the teen daughter of the main character.

6 hours ago, Lanny said:

I read, somewhere, today, on FoxNews.com or in the Google Discover feed on my phone, that the U.S. Government is increasing the Quarantine time, from 14 days to 30 days. I am not sure if that applies only to U.S. Citizens and their families who are being evacuated to the 4 military bases in the USA, or if it also applies to Aliens.  Or, if  Aliens coming from Hunan will be barred from entry.  The article I read was to me ambiguous in exactly what the regulations are and I suspect the regulations are not yet in concrete.

Those who were on the first evacuation flight are under the first quarantine order the CDC has issued in 50 years. I believe that quarantine is for 14 days. They are in So CA.

It seems that they do not have a solid understanding about how this Corona Virus works. If that lack of understanding continues, I suspect they will limit travelers from China going to the USA.

My most recent news still gave 14 day quarantine, but only aliens who have American family or other ties can come if they have been in ? China ? In the last 2 weeks (so no Australians who have been to China recently, for example) making it clear to me it is about likelihood of potential exposure, not race. 

Also one new hospital is all done! 

It gave confirmed case number as over 17,000

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/live-updates/china-coronavirus-outbreak-us-plans-wuhan-evacuation-death-toll-number-cases-rises-today-2020-01-28/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Farrar said:

I definitely don't think there's been a coverup worldwide. I mean, in China, they definitely covered up the early spread. But I don't think other large governments are at the moment.

One thing that has been growing is bigotry against Chinese Americans in the wake of this. I read about a Chinese American professor who hasn't been to China itself in many years whose students demanded she wear a mask to come to class and teach. Like, ugh. Not cool, folks. 

A Chinese British lecturer I was talking to on Friday hadn't reported any prejudice against him, but has a cough and is self-conscious about what people will think.

Meanwhile, two people in my department got into an argument last week and their boss had to step in. Person A talked all morning about the virus. Person B finally asked him to be quiet so that she could concentrate as she had a deadline. Person A said Person B should not be in work because she had a cold (no travel history). Person B said it was just a minor cold, no sneezing/cough. Person A said she should get it checked out (he comes to work with colds all the time). Person B said, 'So, would you rather I wasn't here?' Person A said 'Yes'. Person B walked out.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

So the two cases in my state that initially stated they were asymptomatic on the plane flight have now said that one of them did have symptoms on the plane.  So health authorities are trying to contact trace all the other passengers.  Also trying to confirm that when the couple self isolated they really were properly isolated.  

they have set up a lab for local testing but are currently verifying results against interstate testing.  By the end of the week should be up and running reducing turn around from 48 to 24 hours.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, EmseB said:

I know more sick/recently sick people than I care to right now, lol. I probably don’t belong in public because my face doesn’t hide anything, no matter how hard I try.  I was shopping last week when a guy sneezed in the aisle.  He looked offended, so I’m guessing my face was pretty offensive!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Here is a snippet from the NYT that arrived in my inbox this morning:

Last month, the government put Wuhan in a virtual lockdown, sealing off the city and banning most public transportation and private cars from its streets in a desperate effort to contain the outbreak. Now, many residents say it is nearly impossible to get the health care they need to treat — or even diagnose — the coronavirus.

Expressing exasperation, doctors say there is a shortage of testing kits and other medical supplies, and it is not clear why more are not available. The ban on transportation means some residents have to walk for hours to get to hospitals — if they are well enough to make the journey. Layers of bureaucracy stand between residents and help. And the long lines outside hospitals for testing and treatment suggest that the outbreak is spreading far beyond the official count of cases.

Not surprisingly, it looks like the situation in China is way worse than the official numbers would indicate.  I can't imagine how scary it must be living in Wuhan right now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

I know more sick/recently sick people than I care to right now, lol. I probably don’t belong in public because my face doesn’t hide anything, no matter how hard I try.  I was shopping last week when a guy sneezed in the aisle.  He looked offended, so I’m guessing my face was pretty offensive!

I was at the register the other day as the cashier walks over to hand sanitizer and uses it making a comment to a coworker about the previous person in line. She had started to cough and made some comment that it was just allergies. This woman looked awful. There was no way she just had allergies. Had I touched her body I'm positive it would have been fever level hot.

I would have been sympathetic if she were buying medicine. But I was at a party supply store.

Earlier in the week, I was the coughing person who felt terrible. I had just eaten some granola before entering the dentist office and legit had some tickling my throat. So I start a coughing fit just as two women walk into the tiny waiting room. I immediately excuse myself to the bathroom, get water, and clear it out. But I knew whatever I said to them they wouldn't believe me.

• Like 1

Yes, in Wuhan they're burning bodies that died of pneumonia, without counting them in the virus totals (because they were never tested); there are neither enough hospital beds nor enough test kits to either address or even count the number of people who have the virus and are dying of it.

I'm hopeful that that means that it can be controlled, at least this spring and summer, outside of Wuhan, in places where it hasn't gotten so out of control that people with the virus can't be isolated or treated and end up spreading it farther, making the situation ever worse, because the health infrastructure can't handle it.  In the US and even outside of Wuhan in China it seems like people with the virus are mostly being found, isolated, and treated.  Inside Wuhan it's a nightmare, but I don't know what else can realistically be done. They built a hospital in 7 days.  It's just not enough.

• Sad 3

35 minutes ago, Susan in TX said:

In Seattle they are doing house calls for suspected cases https://komonews.com/news/local/harborview-begins-house-calls-to-check-for-coronavirus

The amount of protective gear that the medical team is wearing does not reassure me. 

Susan in TX 

Wow, that’s definitely... something I can’t fully process right now.

I’m looking forward to bad weather for the next few days so I don’t have to make excuses to stay home. If cases in NYC start testing positive, I’m going into hibernation mode.

Caixin English website with updates up to Feb 2nd  https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-02-02/wuhan-virus-latest-china-reports-second-pneumonia-linked-death-101505300.html

Caixin Chinese website with updates up to Feb 3rd http://www.caixin.com/2020-01-21/101506971.html

google translation of the Feb 3rd press release 

“On February 3, the National Health and Medical Commission held a press conference to address the progress in the use of drugs in the clinical treatment of the new coronavirus pneumonia epidemic. Song Shuli, a spokesperson for the National Health and Medical Commission, revealed that at present, one is Kelizhi and Chinese medicine treatment. Some clinical trials are collecting clinical information data, and recently there is a new drug called Redecive. Many medical institutions are conducting clinical trials on this drug organization in order to study the safety and effectiveness of the drug.

At a press conference on the prevention and control of the new crown pneumonia epidemic in Beijing on February 3, Miao Jianhong, deputy head of the Xicheng District, said that there were 9 cases of cluster diagnosis in the intensive care unit of the Cardiology Department of Fuxing Hospital, of which 5 were medical staff and 5 were hospitalized Four cases have been transferred to designated hospitals for treatment, mainly mild. As of 24:00 on February 2, a total of 212 confirmed cases were diagnosed in Beijing. He Xiong, deputy director of Beijing Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said that at present, a total of 41 cluster cases were reported in the city, involving 124 cases, accounting for more than 50% of confirmed cases.

On February 3, the National Health and Medical Commission informed that from 04:00 to February 2nd, 2829 newly diagnosed cases (2103 cases in Hubei Province) and 186 severe cases (139 cases in Hubei Province) were newly reported in the Mainland. There were 57 more deaths (56 in Hubei Province and 1 in Chongqing City), 147 newly cured cases (80 in Hubei Province), and 5173 new suspected cases (3260 Hubei Province). As of 24:00 on February 2nd, a total of 17,205 confirmed cases had been reported in the Mainland, 2296 severe cases, 361 deaths, 475 cured patients, and 21558 suspected cases.

On February 3, the Hubei Provincial Health and Health Commission informed that from 04:00 to 24:00 on February 2, 2103 new cases of new coronary pneumonia were reported in Hubei (including: 1033 in Wuhan, 166 in Jingzhou, 169 in Xiaogan, and Huanggang City 244 cases). There were 56 new deaths in the province (41 in Wuhan). As of 24:00 on February 2, a total of 11,177 confirmed cases (including 5142 in Wuhan, 548 in Xiangyang, 918 in Xiaogan, and 1246 in Huanggang) had been confirmed in Hubei Province. 295 cases have been cured and 350 patients died ( Among them: 265 in Wuhan, 15 in Ezhou, 14 in Xiaogan, 17 in Huanggang, and 10 in Tianmen. At present, 9618 patients are still being treated in the hospital (among them: 1223 severe cases and 478 critical cases).”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TX said:

In Seattle they are doing house calls for suspected cases https://komonews.com/news/local/harborview-begins-house-calls-to-check-for-coronavirus

The amount of protective gear that the medical team is wearing does not reassure me. 

Susan in TX 

I think that’s great!!!  

Very reassuring to me!!!

Proper protective gear and decontamination procedures need to be used in hospitals fairly often.  And in research laboratories.  For that matter they are used by Fed Ex if there are suspicious problems with packages. 

• Like 1

Has anyone seen the photos of the inside of the new hospital?  Is there a reason why they need bars in the windows?  I have seen one video supposedly of someone jumping out of a window to evade quarantine but not being able to understand the language I don’t know if that’s true.

also they have these windows for food with uv light to decontaminate dishes.  But I’m wondering how the patients are meant to get to the windows to get the food if they are on oxygen etc.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Has anyone seen the photos of the inside of the new hospital?  Is there a reason why they need bars in the windows?  I have seen one video supposedly of someone jumping out of a window to evade quarantine but not being able to understand the language I don’t know if that’s true.

also they have these windows for food with uv light to decontaminate dishes.  But I’m wondering how the patients are meant to get to the windows to get the food if they are on oxygen etc.  

I don't know about this hospital specifically, but I have lived in parts of the world where bars on the windows were the norm--houses, schools, stores, hospitals, churches...

• Like 2

Medical resources are already overtaxed during epidemics. It’s been super common in the past to have unprotected medical workers get sick themselves during outbreaks. It’s why, in a world with Ebola and limited vaccines, that they pushed to vaccinate the health care workers first. Different situation here, but not surprising US healthcare workers are going in fully protected. And another reason why, if the video is true, the taking of the respirators by bureaucracy of the CCP away from medics is so egregious. Limited resources should be directed to the medics.

I am not freaked out about the current situation in regards to my own health. I have stopped using public transport (usual flu season precautions), but I am only masking up with a respirator when I go into the hospital outpatient lab. They send measles patients there and we still have cases coming through from Eastern Europe. Measles has a way higher ROI than Coronavirus.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maize said:

I don't know about this hospital specifically, but I have lived in parts of the world where bars on the windows were the norm--houses, schools, stores, hospitals, churches...

Hmm I was thinking maybe a safety thing for external windows in a multi story building but I looked again and looks like they are on internal windows.  

I have not read this whole thread but thought I would add some information.  We just got a health alert from the American Embassy regarding staying safe from the virus. No cases in Israel but Israel is putting travel safety measures (who can come in) in place. 

Also, our Episcopal cathedral decided to offer Eucharist by intinction only, instead of by common cup as usual. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Hmm I was thinking maybe a safety thing for external windows in a multi story building but I looked again and looks like they are on internal windows.  

26 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Internal and external windows. My guess is that the authorities assume that there is a risk patients might become delusional and try to break out of the isolation ward. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Also, our Episcopal cathedral decided to offer Eucharist by intinction only, instead of by common cup as usual. 

Unless by intinction, they mean the priest/ deacon intincts the bread into the wine and puts it on the tongue of the parishioner, common cup with a silver cup is way, way less likely to transmit viruses than people intincting their own.  Many studies have been done about this.  This irritates me. 

The couple on my state who were supposed to be asymptomatic on the plane but weren’t and were supposed to be in self isolation attended a real estate auction 

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/real-estate-agency-closed-after-confirmed-sa-coronavirus-victims-attended-firle-house-auction/news-story/437540c6ad432abc0dddeb4e4fabc1dd

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 5

“新冠肺炎防疫全纪录(实时更新中)

截至2月3日24时,全国确诊病例20438例,死亡425例;海外确诊病例153例,死亡1例” http://m.app.caixin.com/m_topic_detail/1473.html
Google translate 
“New Records of Epidemic Prevention of New Coronary Pneumonia (Live Update)
As of 24:00 on February 3, 20,438 confirmed cases nationwide and 425 deaths; 153 overseas confirmed cases and 1 death”
  • Like 1

I can’t find the article now but also Chinese researchers found the virus on at least one patients door handle so surviving on surfaces for a time so I guess just a reminder to be vigilant with hand washing. I know that’s nothing startling but good to know.  Not confirmed by other scientists yet.

• Thanks 1

From the Chinese govt http://www.gov.cn/xinwen/2020-02/04/content_5474362.htm

Google translate is a little funny but I don’t have time to translate properly. Nuclear reduction is just reduction and Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps is basically Xinjiang Corps (military).

“At 04:00 on February 3, 31 provinces (autonomous regions, municipalities) and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps reported 3235 newly confirmed cases (2345 in Hubei Province) and 492 severe cases (442 in Hubei Province). There were 64 death cases (64 cases in Hubei Province), 157 newly cured cases (101 cases in Hubei Province), and 5,072 suspected cases (3182 cases in Hubei Province).

As of 24:00 on February 3, the National Health and Health Commission has received a cumulative report of 20,438 confirmed cases (2 nuclear reductions in Heilongjiang Province) in 31 provinces (autonomous regions, municipalities) and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps. There are currently 2788 severe cases with cumulative deaths There were 425 cases, 632 cases were cured and discharged, and there were 23214 suspected cases.

At present, 221,015 close contacts have been tracked. 12,755 people were released from medical observation on the same day, and 171,329 people are currently receiving medical observation.

A total of 33 confirmed cases were reported in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan: 15 in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, 8 in the Macao Special Administrative Region, and 10 in Taiwan.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I can’t find the article now but also Chinese researchers found the virus on at least one patients door handle so surviving on surfaces for a time so I guess just a reminder to be vigilant with hand washing. I know that’s nothing startling but good to know.  Not confirmed by other scientists yet.

From
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/n8rfMR2Rfv8Ac5hgsDYhxA

Google translate pretty good this time. Article was published yesterday so I assumed its referring to Feb 2nd. 

“On the 2nd, Guangzhou for the first time detected a new type of coronavirus on a door handle of a confirmed patient. While this poses challenges to epidemic prevention and control, it also reminds the general public to take preventive measures, especially ventilation and cleaning at home.

"Many of us are very concerned about how long the virus can survive in the external environment after leaving the human body. Rather than paying attention to this, it is better to develop a good lifestyle and do a good job of cleaning, disinfecting and personal hygiene of the external environment" In addition to the door handle, the previously mentioned mobile phones, phones, keyboards, faucet switches, remote control buttons, etc. all need to be focused on, and areas that are easily polluted.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice news

From https://africa.cgtn.com/2020/02/03/egypt-to-send-10-tons-of-medical-supplies-to-china/

“Egypt to send 10 tons of medical supplies to China

19 hours ago

Egypt has decided to help with the coronavirus interventions by sending 10 tons of medical supplies to China, in a sign of solidarity.

Health Minister Hala Zayed has given directives to the ministry to support the Chinese people by all means possible.On Sunday morning the minister of civil aviation personally inspected the plane which carried the supplies.

It’s the same aircraft that is expected to bring back Egyptians in Wuhan.”

From https://africa.cgtn.com/2020/02/03/donation-from-chinese-businessmen-in-kenya-arrive-in-wuhan/

“Donation from Chinese businessmen in Kenya arrive in Wuhan

7 hours ago

A team of Chinese businessmen in Kenya donated supplies to help China fight the deadly coronavirus.

Just a day later, the medical supplies sent by the Kenya Chinese Chamber of Commerce arrived safely in Wuhan, and were received with gratitude.

The supplies were meant to be delivered to two of the main hospitals leading the fight against the virus.

Jiangxia hospital received 3,695 masks, as well as 40,000 disposable surgical masks, while over 149,000 disposable surgical masks and other supplies made their way to Dongxihu hospital.

More deliveries are expected to reach China in due course, including a new batch of medical supplies.” 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The couple on my state who were supposed to be asymptomatic on the plane but weren’t and were supposed to be in self isolation attended a real estate auction 

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/real-estate-agency-closed-after-confirmed-sa-coronavirus-victims-attended-firle-house-auction/news-story/437540c6ad432abc0dddeb4e4fabc1dd

In this article, it wasn't clear they knew they had it when they went to the auction. Was there something I missed?

Just now, RootAnn said:

In this article, it wasn't clear they knew they had it when they went to the auction. Was there something I missed?

One of the patients was symptomatic when they travelled on the plane to Adelaide so they definitely were symptomatic at the auction.  No they may not have known they had coronavirus however previous statements from health authorities were that they had self isolated since arrival which is obviously not correct.  So another lot of contact tracing to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Arcadia, is South China morning post reliable as a source of news?

Yes. SCMP is okay.

Hong Kong has a fatality https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/wuhan-virus-hong-kong-death-china-infection-toll-12388372

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3048839/coronavirus-hong-kong-confirms-first-death-39

“(Updated: 04 Feb 2020 10:47AM)

HONG KONG: A man has died in Hong Kong from the novel coronavirus, the city's first fatality from the deadly virus and the second outside of mainland China, local media reported on Tuesday (Feb 4).

The 39-year-old patient, who was being treated at a hospital after being infected, died of sudden heart failure, reports said.

He was the 13th confirmed case of coronavirus in Hong Kong and was diagnosed on Jan 31, news website HK01 said. 

Details will be announced at a press conference of the Department of Health and the Hospital Authority on Tuesday afternoon, the report added.”

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

I have not read this whole thread but thought I would add some information.  We just got a health alert from the American Embassy regarding staying safe from the virus. No cases in Israel but Israel is putting travel safety measures (who can come in) in place. 

Even intinction as I have usually experienced it could be an issue potentially, I think.  If person with contagious illness (coronavirus or others too) sneezes into hand, then receives first the wafer into that hand, then wafer is taken back and dipped into the wine, both the priest and other recipients down the line could be affected. Or if the communicant does the dipping then everyone else down line.

It would be nice to know if alcohol at the level of what’s in Eucharist wine can kill such germs quickly.  I suspect not enough, quickly and reliably enough.  

I hope the priest is giving an already intincted wafer.  Which seems safer to me.  But I’ve never experienced it done that way.   

Do communion rails and so on get disinfected?   In general, if you know, not just your current cathedral. 

20 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Cruise ship in quarantine for 24 hours in Japan after a passenger who travelled from 20-25 Jan tested positive to coronavirus.  He had symptoms while on board.

If it’s one of those size of small city ones that’s going to be a major contact tracing job.  

24 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Cruise ship in quarantine for 24 hours in Japan after a passenger who travelled from 20-25 Jan tested positive to coronavirus.  He had symptoms while on board.

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

If it’s one of those size of small city ones that’s going to be a major contact tracing job.  

From NHK https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200204_03/

“Japanese quarantine officials have boarded a cruise ship moored off Yokohama, near Tokyo, to screen its crew and passengers for the new coronavirus.

The move came after a Hong Kong resident who was on the ship, the Diamond Princess, was found to have been infected after he disembarked in his home city.

Japan's health ministry says about 2,500 passengers and some 1,000 crew members are on board.

The vessel returned to Yokohama after making stops in the southern prefecture of Kagoshima, as well as Hong Kong, Vietnam, Taiwan, and Okinawa, another Japanese prefecture.

Ministry officials say people with a fever, coughing or other symptoms will be tested for the virus.
The officials say everyone will stay on the vessel until they finish the quarantine procedures and tests. They say they expect the test results on Tuesday evening.

The health ministry says it will allow people without symptoms to go home without undergoing tests, but ask them to contact authorities and go to hospital if they exhibit symptoms.

The ministry says it is trying to find out if the Hong Kong resident went ashore, when the ship made a stop at a Kagoshima port.

When the ship docked in Naha, Okinawa, nobody was found to have symptoms, and about 10 passengers got off. Officials plan to look into whether any of them had close contact with the Hong Kong resident.”

• Like 1