Menu

28 minutes ago, Renai said:

Why are so many dying in Italy?

22 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Italy aren’t counting asymptomatic cases so their death rate is going to look higher for one thing.  But I agree it’s concerning.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-covid19-italy-deaths-mar-6-12511380

“The national health institute said the average age of those who had died so far was 81, with the vast majority suffering underlying health problems. Just 28 per cent were women.

The fatality rate from the illness in Italy, which has one of the oldest populations in the world, is running at 4.25 per cent, higher than in most other countries.

In a worrying sign for hard-pressed hospitals, the number of patients in intensive care rose more than 30 per cent on Friday to 462. On a more positive note, some 523 people have fully recovered, authorities said, an increase of 26 per cent on the previous tally”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• prairiewindmomma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DS got home 3 hours ago!  ❤️❤️

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

That's not a blanket right.  If my religion required human sacrifice, I can't practice it.  If my religion required sexual assault, I can't practice it. Freedom of religion isn't a blanket right

Posted Images

https://www.kron4.com/news/marin-county-confirms-it-is-treating-a-coronavirus-case/amp/

“MARIN (KRON) – Marin County officials updated the public Friday by announcing they are assisting in evaluating 11 persons of interest from the Grand Princess cruise ship, which is currently anchored off the coast of California.

In addition, Marin health officials are aware of 56 Marin residents who are aboard the Grand Princess which is currently anchored off the coast of California.”

@prairiewindmomma assuming you are who asked about masks for child who won’t cover mouth when she coughs.

I think T-shirt material would be comfortable. And there are YouTube instructions for T-shirt material dust masks.  You could perhaps use extra layer for more coverage.

https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/7/789/202744

Previous studies challenged the improvised materials with large-size biological and inert particles and reported varying levels of protection for different size particles (Guyton et al., 1959; Cooper et al., 1983a,b). In one study, the filtration efficiency of a number of fabric materials was tested using human subjects. The authors reported that the filtration efficiency of single layer of bath towel, cotton shirt, handkerchief, and other materials was in the 28–73% range against Bacillus globigii aerosols of 2000 nm mass median diameter (Guyton et al., 1959). Another study measured the effectiveness factor obtained from filtration efficiency and pressure drop for different common fabric materials using a manikin (Cooper et al., 1983a). Fabric materials were challenged with mineral oil aerosol particles of 410–4800 nm diameter size and the effectiveness factor calculated. For many fabric materials including shirt, sheet, towel, and handkerchief, the effectiveness factor decreased with decreasing particle size from 4800 to 410 nm, indicating further decrease in the respiratory protection for virus-containing particles <410 nm (Cooper et al., 1983a).

Recent studies showed that patients, as well as control subjects, generate significant levels of submicron as well as larger size particles including the size of many viruses during breathing, coughing, and talking (Fairchild and Stampfer, 1987; Papineni and Rosenthal, 1997; Edwards et al., 2004; Yang et al., 2007; Fabian et al., 2008; Blachere et al., 2009; Lindsley et al., 2010). Although some viruses can be quite small (∼20 nm), they are often generated by humans as larger size particles (e.g. attached to mucus secretions). ...

• Thanks 2

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/news/Pages/four-new-covid19-cases-03062020.aspx

County of Santa Clara Public Health “Department Reports Four New Cases of COVID-19   

SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CA—The County of Santa Clara Public Health Department confirms four new cases of COVID-19 in Santa Clara County. This brings the total number of cases to 24.   

• The 21st case is an adult male household contact of a previously confirmed case in Santa Clara County. He is under home isolation. 
  • The 22nd case is an adult female, who is hospitalized. This case is under investigation. 
  • The 23rd case is an adult male, who has recently traveled from India. He is hospitalized. 
  • The 24th case is an adult male, who is isolated at home. This case is under investigation.”
  • Like 1

I don't have the link (it's from a few days ago) - but there are two versions of the virus circulating.  one is much more virulent, though at the time it only accounted for 30% of cases.  if a virus is too virulent, it does risk burning out (killing the host) before jumping to the next victim.

there is also the population a virus enters.  re: the nursing him in Kirkland, a very vulnerable population with underlying health concerns.  you'll get a higher mortality rate.  while it is not responsible for all of the deaths here, it is the majority of them.

there are many unknowns about this virus.

Well, our little corner of escape has closed since OK has reported their first case. NM is surrounded on all sides. Of course, I think it's already here, but with only 16 people tested as of close of yesterday, we won't be finding out much any time soon...

6 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I don't have the link (it's from a few days ago) - but there are two versions of the virus circulating.  one is much more virulent, though at the time it only accounted for 30% of cases.  if a virus is too virulent, it does risk burning out (killing the host) before jumping to the next victim.

there is also the population a virus enters.  re: the nursing him in Kirkland, a very vulnerable population with underlying health concerns.  you'll get a higher mortality rate.  while it is not responsible for all of the deaths here, it is the majority of them.

there are many unknowns about this virus.

Yes, I remember listening to Dr. John Campbell's talk about it. It started out as S, which was less contagious but more deadly. Now it is mostly L, which is more contagious, but less deadly (to put it simply). I think I remember that correctly...

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Renai said:

Yes, I remember listening to Dr. John Campbell's talk about it. It started out as S, which was less contagious but more deadly. Now it is mostly L, which is more contagious, but less deadly (to put it simply). I think I remember that correctly...

we'll see where this ends up going.  the Spanish flu was more deadly in its second wave.   

• Like 2

I have fabric and elastic at home. I made a double layer preshrunk 100% cotton mask for her out of some quilting fabric. I got good fit at the nosebridge, cheeks, and chin. I am watching her wear it to see if she is touching her face more...but when she sneezes, it is an improvement. It fits better than the ear loop ped cough masks we had (earlier this winter, gone now).

It is probably of not great help with covid-19, but between pollen season, wildfire season, and hiking on dusty trails...I am going to make some more. 

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 4
47 minutes ago, Renai said:

I thought L form

was worse in contagiousness, virulence, and also deadliness 

??? 

• Like 1

Here is a summary of the circulating strains. I haven't seen anything on which strain is prevalent in the US.  One link mentioned the ancestral version as a possible cause in Washington, but I haven't seen any confirmation.  Many researchers are now saying it's a statistical artifact.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

Apparently the passengers on the cruise ship in California found out that 21 of them had the virus by watching Pence on the news. 🤦‍♀️ We really suck at handling this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 12
5 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Our big state robotics competition for next week was just cancelled. Central NY

Ours is happening tomorrow, MO. I've checked my email a couple of times wondering if they would cancel but they're going ahead. We don't have any cases in Missouri yet, as far as I know, but who knows after tomorrow when we'll have robotics teams from all over the state cooped up together in a small gym. I hope it's still too early here and we'll all get lucky!

https://museum.stanford.edu/about/news/updates-related-novel-coronavirus-covid-19
“Beginning tomorrow, Saturday, March 7, 2020, the Cantor Arts Center and Anderson Collection at Stanford University will temporarily close their galleries to the public while remaining open to support Stanford’s academic functions. We intend to reopen the museums to the public April 15, 2020. During this temporary closure to the public, a Stanford ID will be required for admission. Our outdoor spaces—including the Rodin Sculpture Garden—plan to remain open to all during this time.”

42 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Our outdoor spaces—including the Rodin Sculpture Garden—plan to remain open to all during this time.”

Stanford's cast of The Gates of Hell would be appropriate viewing.

South By Southwest, cancelled. Big State U.'s open house event, cancelled. Rodeo and Fairgrounds going forward ... do I take Wee Girl, or wait for next year? She'd want to go with friends and it might depend on whether their parents think it's okay.

Our HEB made up a big display of CoronaPanic products: paper towels, toilet paper, jugs of water, wipes ... and tortilla chips. Nice that they're keeping their sense of humor through the apocalypse.

2 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Stanford's cast of The Gates of Hell would be appropriate viewing.

The sculpture at Rodin’s garden? That’s walking distance to the cancer center I go to. 

• Like 1

Yikes - 3 cases in the county I live in! DH went to Sam's club today and the toilet paper and paper towel area was barren. The office building I work in just hired two people to go around all day cleaning all the door handles elevator buttons etc.

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

The sculpture at Rodin’s garden? That’s walking distance to the cancer center I go to. 

I loved visiting that sculpture garden, and I envy you the opportunity to enjoy it. Big State U. has an art museum but it's second- and third-rate stuff.

• Like 1

while it has been discussed the University of Washington has gone to online classes for the last two weeks of the quarter (incl. finals week)

Seattle Pacific University, 

and Seattle University are also going to online.

Comment on the Grand Princess testing 

"Testing the crew and passengers now is like doing blood alcohol levels on people in a bar while they are still drinking." -- Peter Sandman (When was last exposure? When will a negative test really mean they are negative? Start countdown when they are individually quarantined!)

• Like 3

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article240977821.html
“After tests revealed Friday 21 people aboard the Grand Princess had tested positive for COVID-19, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced they will quarantine the 1,100-member crew aboard the ship off the coast of San Francisco but will transport passengers to quarantine sites in the United States.

“It’s very likely that the crew on the Grand Princess was exposed on two different outings, and we know the coronavirus manifested among the previous passengers,” said Robert Kadlec, assistant secretary for preparedness and response at HHS, “and so we will find that out. But we will be testing everyone on the ship. We will be quarantining as necessary. But with regard to the 1,100 member crew, we anticipate that they will be quarantined on the ship, will not need to disembark.”

Vice President Mike Pence, who has been leading a task force addressing the nation’s response to the new coronavirus, said Health and Human Services has used military bases to house evacuees in the past — Solano County’s Travis Air Force Base, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar near San Diego, Joint Air Base San Antonio-Lackland in Texas and the U.S. Army’s Fort Carson in Colorado — and the agency was working with the defense department to identify the appropriate settings.

“We want to recognize, from the experience now of two cruise ships, the cruise ships represent a unique challenge for health officials,” Pence said, “and so we would ask elderly Americans to use common sense and caution in planning any cruise ship vacation in the future.”“

2 hours ago, Renai said:

I may have it backwards. I'll have to listen again. That was the reason for my disclaimer...

Or I

may have it wrong — I want to

listen again too

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article240977821.html
“After tests revealed Friday 21 people aboard the Grand Princess had tested positive for COVID-19, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced they will quarantine the 1,100-member crew aboard the ship off the coast of San Francisco but will transport passengers to quarantine sites in the United States.

“It’s very likely that the crew on the Grand Princess was exposed on two different outings, and we know the coronavirus manifested among the previous passengers,” said Robert Kadlec, assistant secretary for preparedness and response at HHS, “and so we will find that out. But we will be testing everyone on the ship. We will be quarantining as necessary. But with regard to the 1,100 member crew, we anticipate that they will be quarantined on the ship, will not need to disembark.”

Vice President Mike Pence, who has been leading a task force addressing the nation’s response to the new coronavirus, said Health and Human Services has used military bases to house evacuees in the past — Solano County’s Travis Air Force Base, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar near San Diego, Joint Air Base San Antonio-Lackland in Texas and the U.S. Army’s Fort Carson in Colorado — and the agency was working with the defense department to identify the appropriate settings.

“We want to recognize, from the experience now of two cruise ships, the cruise ships represent a unique challenge for health officials,” Pence said, “and so we would ask elderly Americans to use common sense and caution in planning any cruise ship vacation in the future.”“

They’re seriously going to quarantine the crew on ship again?  Maybe spread out in cabins it will be slightly safer.  But I imagine they’re still going to have to have food prep and sewage operations etc done so at least some will be working together to keep the ship functional.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
46 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Reuters: only 99 new cases for China 

BNO - 1st case in Hawaii a passenger from the last Grand princess cruise.

I would guess that like Seattle area and San Francisco area, Hawaii has undetected cases. They have barely done any testing and there’s a huge lot of international travel to Hawaii. Also, many Hawaii residents have family ties to Asian countries, Including my sister and bil, where his family was from mainland China. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

@Pen @Renai

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2236544-coronavirus-are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/
“A separate analysis by the team suggests that the L-type was derived from the older S-type. The first strain is likely to have emerged around the time the virus jumped from animals to humans. The second emerged soon after that, says the team. Both are involved in the current global outbreak. The fact that the L-type is more prevalent suggests that it is “more aggressive” than the S-type, the team say.

“There do appear to be two different strains,” says Ravinder Kanda at Oxford Brookes University in the UK. “[The L-type] might be more aggressive in transmitting itself, but we have no idea yet how these underlying genetic changes will relate to disease severity,” she says.

“I think it’s a fact that there are two strains,” says Erik Volz at Imperial College London. “It’s normal for viruses to undergo evolution when they are transmitted to a new host.”

It is vital to know how many strains of the virus exist. Around the world, multiple groups are working on a vaccine for the virus. Any vaccine will need to target features that are found in both strains of the virus in order to be effective.

The differences between the two identified strains are tiny. In fact, they can’t really be considered to be separate “strains”, says Jones. And many of the genetic differences won’t affect the production of proteins, and so won’t change the way the virus works, or the symptoms it causes, he says. One is not more deadly than the other.

“In all practical terms, the virus is as it was when it originally emerged,” says Jones. “There’s no evidence it is getting any worse.” The sentiment is echoed by the World Health Organization. The study by Tang and colleagues only suggests there is some genetic diversity of the virus – it doesn’t mean it is changing, a representative told New Scientist.

But we can’t say for sure. The study only represents 103 cases. A larger, online database has collated the sequencing results from 166 cases. Both represent a drop in the ocean of the almost 100,000 officially reported cases.

Jones says we can expect more strains to emerge. Epidemiologists generally agree that, once a person is infected with the coronavirus, they are unlikely to be infected again – unless the virus mutates to allow it to overcome the immune system’s defences.”

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

They’re seriously going to quarantine the crew on ship again?  Maybe spread out in cabins it will be slightly safer.  But I imagine they’re still going to have to have food prep and sewage operations etc done so at least some will be working together to keep the ship functional.

Trump doesn't want them on land and driving up the numbers.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I was thinking food can be drop shipped, like crates of microwaveable meals. The general comments on Facebook were in the line of “not again” since Grand Princess and Diamond Princess are from the same company.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Trump doesn't want them on land and driving up the numbers.  

People commenting on Facebook suggested Alcatraz as quarantine for the whole ship. They are scared of what happened to Japan from Diamond Princess. 
SF people commenting on Facebook don’t want the ship to dock at SF. The SF  St Patrick’s Day Parade is cancelled.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 2

A friend of a friend is on the Grand Princess (is that the right name of the ship stuck off San Francisco?) and reports she is hating life. She and her husband are stuck inside their small cabin which only has 1 chair aside from the bed, and apparently her dh is binge watching horror movies! Anyway, I heard through this grape vine that only the crew had been tested, not any of the passengers.

Those poor people need to be brought off the ship -- I keep thinking about the recirculating air in most of those cabins. But where will they be allowed to quarantine?  I'm a bit horrified by the panic in some communities over turning an empty apartment building or hotel into a quarantine station. The friend was resigned to self quarantining in her own home -- guess that isn't an option? 

The parents of another friend was on the ship that couldn't dock anywhere until Cambodia finally let them in. They are home. And healthy. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My county Fire Department has a sense of humor 

“Don't forget...we'll lose an hour of hand washing this weekend. 
Remember to change the batteries in your smoke alarm!

If you or someone you know is physically unable to test or maintain their smoke alarms, we can help. Give us a call at (408) 378-4010 or email us at info@sccfd.org.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
3 hours ago, Joker said:

Apparently the passengers on the cruise ship in California found out that 21 of them had the virus by watching Pence on the news. 🤦‍♀️ We really suck at handling this.

um...it sounds like the cruise ship company really sucks at handling this. I mean...they released the info before telling the passengers

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Ah is that what it is. I thought  maybe they might be foreign nationals 

There are more than 3,500 people aboard the Grand Princess -- 2,422 guests and 1,111 crew members, Princess Cruises said. They represent 54 nationalities.”

39 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Anyway, I heard through this grape vine that only the crew had been tested, not any of the passengers.

“A total of 46 people on the ship were tested with 21 testing positive for the infection, 24 were negative and one was inconclusive, Pence said during a Coronavirus Task Force press briefing. 
Of the 21 people who tested positive, 19 were crew members of the ship and two were passengers.”

37 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I guess if they don't test any of the passanger then the numbers don't go up. 

“Pence said Friday he's working with California Gov. Gavin Newsom, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Health and Human Services to develop a plan for the Grand Princess to return to a "non-commercial port." 

"All passengers and crew will be tested for the coronavirus," Pence said. "Those that need to be quarantined will be quarantined. Those that require additional medical attention will receive it."

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That is one store. You should edit your post for accuracy. 

Oops thanks for catching that!  Was meant to say store but my phone typing is rough!

• Thanks 1

Speaking of phone typing errors is anyone else noticing autocorrect on iPhone seems to run super slow on the forum?  For some reason mine is running miles behind my typing meaning I keep missing stuff it’s corrected wrong.

• Like 1