Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

So yesterday, during our Admin meeting, our principal told us that he went to a principal's meeting for the district and he said they talked a lot about what will happen if they need to shut down schools for any length of time.

My principal then added, "I don't think it is a matter of 'if' but 'when,"

I think he may be overstating things, but they definitely discussed it.

We don't make the decision as a school, and really, even our superintendent doesn't, it would be a State decision.

I just hope WDW is open if we have to close.

🤪🤪😂😂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TCB said:

Ours is happening tomorrow, MO. I've checked my email a couple of times wondering if they would cancel but they're going ahead. We don't have any cases in Missouri yet, as far as I know, but who knows after tomorrow when we'll have robotics teams from all over the state cooped up together in a small gym. I hope it's still too early here and we'll all get lucky!

Our local team still gets a spot at Worlds in Detroit without the state comp, but I’ll be very surprised if it doesn’t get cancelled by April. Worlds is huge with so many people 40,000 from everywhere packed into a huge convention center

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

DD's research lab's professor has decided to cancel his student group's spring break trip to WA. I am sad for the students because many in the group are seniors and won’t have another opportunity to participate. However, I am relieved because although dd wasn’t planning to go, she would have been working very closely with the students who did participate immediately after spring break. I am glad to see that the professor is putting student health before research. Unfortunately, this is the kind of difficult and disappointing decision that will have to be made if we are going to have a chance of slowing this thing down. 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hilltopmom said:

Our local team still gets a spot at Worlds in Detroit without the state comp, but I’ll be very surprised if it doesn’t get cancelled by April. Worlds is huge with so many people 40,000 from everywhere packed into a huge convention center

We are supposed to be at Worlds.  I can’t imagine that not being cancelled, but we don’t have documented cases in MI yet.  

10 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Not sure if this has been posted but ran into a pattern for a clothmask that someone has been refining for years, so fit etc should be good.     Comes in three sizes  Obviously not great for anything beyond hands off face but thought I would post here. https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/2/

This is the pattern that I adapted yesterday. I made slight changes to the liner and to the sides and straps. I made the straps respirator style rather than ear loop for tighter fit. The pattern is very easy to use.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I thought I posted the study upthread on Wednesday  🙂

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762692

So looking again now, one problem I see is that since they did not test before and after room cleaning on same patients we can only guess that the room cleaning is what made the difference.

It stands to reason, and gives a feeling of some ability to make a difference by doing cleaning.

However, it is possible that the person with the milder personal symptoms she’d more virus than the patients with worse symptoms.  The Covid-19 doesn’t necessarily conform to a pattern of virus shed matching symptom severity. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

I just hope WDW is open if we have to close.

🤪🤪😂😂

Dawn, this feels really tone deaf.   If schools will be closing in your area, it's because hospitals are overwhelmed, people are dying, and others are going without paychecks.  I've noticed a distinct difference in the posts of people who have this in their home stomping ground and others for whom this is a distant conceptual idea. Maybe this is just gallows humor, but it hits a sore spot for some of us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

So looking again now, one problem I see is that since they did not test before and after room cleaning on same patients we can only guess that the room cleaning is what made the difference.

It’s only three patients too. I think they published the findings so others can replicate the experiment and see if room cleaning helps.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Not sure if this has been posted but ran into a pattern for a clothmask that someone has been refining for years, so fit etc should be good.     Comes in three sizes  Obviously not great for anything beyond hands off face but thought I would post here. https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/2/

Now that is genius! I love it.  And maybe if they have to reuse it people won’t take it off and lay it around like I saw at the dr office the other day.  Though I don’t think we are going to wear hem anytime soon or very often, I think I’m going to have to make some for our family.

While I understand why some want more Covid19 testing available for data purposes, I think it is smart of them to stop doing it.  Especially once it is endemic in the area.  People need to just stay the heck home and avoid any medical facility as much as possible.  Every time staff is seeing someone who doesn’t have a serious need, they are risking getting more overloaded and spreading contagion.   Given how much regular flu season strains medical services in areas, they have to look at the best use of their time to actually help patients - and that’s going to be treating them for the respiratory problems they are having in hopes of saving their life.  There’s also no small financial cost to consider too.

Even if there were a home test, I wouldn’t buy it.  If sick, stay the home unless breathing issues start.  Approx 20% are going to need medical intervention to live, and 3-4% are going to die even with medical intervention.  And while all their lives matter and we will grieve them, the Covid19 test won’t save them.  But way more than 4-20% are going to panic if they test positive and that totally could raise the number of people seen by overworked medical systems unnecessarily. 

• Like 2

@Pen

I am seeing if I can find the preprinted paper.

https://www.zaobao.com.sg/znews/others/story20200307-1035115

“(武汉讯)冠病疫情暴发以来,中国出现多起潜伏期超过14天病例,及无症状确诊个案。武汉大学人民医院团队近日一项研究发现,女性冠病感染者比男性有更长的潜伏期,症状也相对较轻,呼吁接受医学观察的女性,隔离期应超过14天。

据澎湃新闻报道,武汉大学医院的医疗团队周二(3日)发表一篇英国医学期刊《柳叶刀》(The Lancet)预印本论文,研究男性和女性感染冠病的潜伏期、发病时间和症状等方面的差异。

研究团队在数据库搜索截至2月14日发表的病例分析文章,并检视所在医院的确诊患者。通过分析1月1日至1月29日入院或确诊的6013名患者,及截至2月20日前确诊的2045名患者数据,发现确诊患者多为男性,其中975名重症患者中有近59%是男性,在另外59名确诊时未有发病症状的患者中,女性有47名,占79.7%。”

google translate

“(Wuhan) Since the outbreak of the crown disease epidemic, there have been many cases in China with an incubation period of more than 14 days and asymptomatic confirmed cases. A recent study by the Wuhan University People's Hospital team found that female patients with coronary disease have a longer incubation period and relatively mild symptoms than men. Women who are called for medical observation should be quarantined for more than 14 days.

According to surging news reports, the medical team of Wuhan University Hospital published a pre-printed paper on The Lancet, a British medical journal, on Tuesday (3rd) to study the incubation period, onset time and symptoms of coronary disease in men and women. Differences.

The research team searched the database for case analysis articles published as of February 14 and reviewed the confirmed patients at their hospital. By analyzing the data of 6013 patients admitted or confirmed from January 1 to January 29, and 2045 patients confirmed before February 20, it was found that most of the confirmed patients were men, of which nearly 59% of the 975 critically ill patients were Among the 59 patients who were asymptomatic at the time of diagnosis, 47 were male, accounting for 79.7%.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

While I understand why some want more Covid19 testing available for data purposes, I think it is smart of them to stop doing it.  Especially once it is endemic in the area.  People need to just stay the heck home and avoid any medical facility as much as possible.  Every time staff is seeing someone who doesn’t have a serious need, they are risking getting more overloaded and spreading contagion.   Given how much regular flu season strains medical services in areas, they have to look at the best use of their time to actually help patients - and that’s going to be treating them for the respiratory problems they are having in hopes of saving their life.  There’s also no small financial cost to consider too.

I think you're misunderstanding why people are saying we need more testing. We don't need it willy nilly for every person. Of course not. Nobody is saying that, I don't think. But there are dozens of reports of people whose doctors have determined they need to be tested who can't get tested. Those are the people we need to test. We need the data from those people. We need data like what @Arcadia just posted above.  We can only get it by testing. We need more evidence based testing, and we need the data from it. That's what most people are referring to on this thread.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Even if there were a home test, I wouldn’t buy it.  If sick, stay the home unless breathing issues start.  Approx 20% are going to need medical intervention to live, and 3-4% are going to die even with medical intervention.  And while all their lives matter and we will grieve them, the Covid19 test won’t save them.  But way more than 4-20% are going to panic if they test positive and that totally could raise the number of people seen by overworked medical systems unnecessarily. 

Right, but these are people WITH breathing issues who are seeking to be tested....like Matroyshka's son, or my neighbor two houses down.

If my neighbor two houses down knew that she had covid-19, she would go stay with her sister rather than continue to expose the rest of her family. She would stop taking her asthma medicine because she knows that steroids make covid-19 worse.  (Everything here is pollinating as well.)  Her husband, with milder symptoms and seasonal allergies, would stay home from work rather than go to a work meeting with my husband.  My husband wouldn't come home if he knew that he was definitely exposed for a long period at close range because I'm at a higher risk of dying from this thing and have been sheltering in on doctor's advice.

Everything is just more complicated, because we don't know. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

“A 5-story hotel in #Quanzhou in #Fujiang Province being used as a #coronavirus quarantine facility has collapsed killing an unknown number of people. Dozens have been rescued but there were around 70 people inside when the building went down. #China #Covid19”

well this is pretty awful 😞 

• Sad 22

We are in denial here in Michigan, “Those looking to be tested for the coronavirus must have traveled to a state with known cases and must also be exhibiting symptoms. Vail said local officials will have “room for judgment” to avoid wasting testing resources.“ This is as of yesterday. 🙁

Edited by melmichigan
  • Sad 7

15 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Widespread testing is being done in South Korea presumably without causing problems.  I think because it’s a new disease getting as much data and information as possible is pretty important. Helps to calculate how contagious and deadly the virus is.  Which helps when making the right decision about if and when to quarantine groups of people.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

“A 5-story hotel in #Quanzhou in #Fujiang Province being used as a #coronavirus quarantine facility has collapsed killing an unknown number of people. Dozens have been rescued but there were around 70 people inside when the building went down. #China #Covid19”

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51784167

• Sad 1

On the bleaching produce directions, I haven't seen how long I need to soak produce.  I'm assuming at this point that everything we buy in the store has been coughed or sneezed on.  I have the right dilution rate, but how long should I let stuff soak?  Should I feel confident about this process, or should we just move to stuff we can peel/frozen/canned stuff? Thoughts? We're in this for the next few months and I don't want to unnecessarily give up good nutrition. 

• Like 1

Just now, mellifera33 said:

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article240979166.html

Pierce county in WA has a confirmed case. I actually feel calmer after watching the press briefing--Dr. Chen, the head of the doh, has such a calm demeanor, and his attitude is that "this is what public health does, and we've been preparing for it for years." 

This makes me so sad. My most vulnerable family members are in elder care facilities in Pierce County.

• Sad 9

4 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

This makes me so sad. My most vulnerable family members are in elder care facilities in Pierce County.

😥 I'm sorry. Dr. Chen made the point that being a bit behind King County meant that they could see what they did right and wrong and hopefully not make the same mistakes. I'm sure that any respiratory illnesses in nursing facilities are going to be scrutinized from here on out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

On the bleaching produce directions, I haven't seen how long I need to soak produce.  I'm assuming at this point that everything we buy in the store has been coughed or sneezed on.  I have the right dilution rate, but how long should I let stuff soak?  Should I feel confident about this process, or should we just move to stuff we can peel/frozen/canned stuff? Thoughts? We're in this for the next few months and I don't want to unnecessarily give up good nutrition. 

When living overseas, we did it for 20 minutes. I've seen varying timetables, but I know I have seen that amount of time on some instructions. Make sure you rinse with clean water afterward, and store where it does not touch unsoaked produce. You should feel pretty confident. We did this to all our produce that did not have a peeling on it, as well as some that did, such as cantaloupe where the knife cutting it might carry parasites or bacteria into the flesh of the fruit or vegetable. While we did occasionally get sick from things we ate away from home, I don't recall any of us ever getting sick from anything we had at home, and we lived overseas for years. With a couple of caveats--we did not eat lettuce that had lots of ridges and creases, but we were also in a place where visible dirt was in it, and celery was hard to clean this way. However, here in the U.S. or in another country where the produce is generally cleaner, I would be comfortable eating those after soaking. Fresh strawberries will not hold up to this kind of soaking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Now if only instacart could bring me toilet paper or paper towels or rubbing alcohol or any of the other things in shortage. 😂

Safeway and Target have stock of toilet paper and paper towels. Safeway has free delivery for orders over $150. Target free delivery for orders over $35. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/tech/instacart-leave-at-my-door/index.html

“New York(CNN Business)Amid fears of the coronavirus, a growing number of food and grocery delivery services in the US are giving customers the option to have their orders left at their doorstep to avoid human interaction.

Instacart, the grocery delivery startup, rolled out a new feature call "Leave at My Door Delivery," which gives customers the option to have an order left by their door during a designated time frame instead of having an in-person hand-off.

The company said Thursday it had been testing the opt-in feature in recent months and decided to add the option for all customers now because of "increased demand" for it in recent days.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dawn, this feels really tone deaf.   If schools will be closing in your area, it's because hospitals are overwhelmed, people are dying, and others are going without paychecks.  I've noticed a distinct difference in the posts of people who have this in their home stomping ground and others for whom this is a distant conceptual idea. Maybe this is just gallows humor, but it hits a sore spot for some of us.

One doesn't need this very close at hand to show some empathy. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

58 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

The thing is, COVID acts differently than regular flu. The change from "normal" to pneumonia  to death can be very rapid, within a couple of days. Knowing one has it, means they can look out for other symptoms or downturns and act rapidly, instead of thinking it's just regular flu they'll get over eventually. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Aura said:

41 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It’s apparently one of the buildings that was build during the rapid urbanization/industrialization period. Some buildings have been rebuilt but there are still some around. 

“About four hours after the collapse, the Quanzhou municipality said 38 of the 70 or so people who had been in the Quanzhou Xinjia Hotel had been rescued.”

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Renai said:

The thing is, COVID acts differently than regular flu. The change from "normal" to pneumonia  to death can be very rapid, within a couple of days. Knowing one has it, means they can look out for other symptoms or downturns and act rapidly, instead of thinking it's just regular flu they'll get over eventually. 

Who thinks shortness of breath is ever okay?!

If you develop any shortness of breath - go in! Flu or Covid19 or anything else - go in ASAP!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Who thinks shortness of breath is ever okay?!

If you develop any shortness of breath - go in! Flu or Covid19 or anything else - go in ASAP!

??  Can't.  I have shortness of breath.  My doc prescribed inhalers etc. sight unseen because in my hot spot it is more dangerous for me to come see him.  But while I have shortness of breath, I have a lot of other symptoms of non COVID19 and don't have the major symptoms of COVID19 like fever or a cough.  And yes, you can have shortness of breath without a cough. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

On 3/5/2020 at 4:28 PM, Violet Crown said:

I don't think you're considering the importance of the hand sanitizer enabling.

ETA: Mayor A. could kill 2 birds with 1 stone by handing out free hand sanitizer to the homeless as a good will gesture.

Well, as he’s now declared a local disaster and cancelled SX, I guess we’ll never truly know the efficacy of said enabling. <dramatic sigh>

He certainly could. And yet somehow I don’t think his enabling extends quite that far. Maybe the downtown churches should lead the way on that. If this virus were to spread through the Arch, yeesh!

• Like 1

I don't know if other people who live here will agree with me, but I think that the local news stations have done an excellent job covering COVID19.  They have explained what is going on where.  (Better than places like Life Care Center in Kirkland to their own patients and families.)  They  have put out warnings against panic and have explained the difference between prudent preparation and stockpiling which doesn't help.  They have given people timely information on shutdowns while also explaining some of the difficulties in making some of these decisions.  For example:  school closures.  Do you keep the school open if a staff member or student has been exposed knowing that for many families this means that their default childcare is the elderly who might them be exposed to more illness by these children?  And yet, parents have legitimate concerns and there are legitimate reasons to deep clean the facility. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I don't know if other people who live here will agree with me, but I think that the local news stations have done an excellent job covering COVID19.  They have explained what is going on where.  (Better than places like Life Care Center in Kirkland to their own patients and families.)  They  have put out warnings against panic and have explained the difference between prudent preparation and stockpiling which doesn't help.  They have given people timely information on shutdowns while also explaining some of the difficulties in making some of these decisions.  For example:  school closures.  Do you keep the school open if a staff member or student has been exposed knowing that for many families this means that their default childcare is the elderly who might them be exposed to more illness by these children?  And yet, parents have legitimate concerns and there are legitimate reasons to deep clean the facility. 

and here - tech companies are telling their people to work from home.  there are advisories, by the county, large gatherings be cancelled, and people work from home. (heh - the freeway rush hour has been seriously reduced.)

dd is head of tech at her small company - she has to come up with a way for their "customer interface" dept to work from home  (phone/web) - only that takes money to implement.  their business has taken a hit because customers are staying home - but one customer who is carrying can make a lot of other people ill.

people don't seem to understand - you want to keep cases low, because if too many people require medical support - you have overwhelmed hospitals who just can't keep up with demand.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I agree with you that  the news here has been informative, and I think trying hard to give people up to date information and not cause panic. Same with the press conferences from King County and the State health departments. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Agreed. I have also appreciated the state and county health department briefings, and how open they have been that on many issues, they just don't know what's going to happen. 

• Like 2