Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

14554 cases, 300 fatalities Possibly 1st outside of China (Philippines) but not confirmed to be coronavirus yet.

Another big jump.  I don't know how people are not freaked out about it coming to the US.  It is already here.  The way it has overtaken China and will continue to do so, won't it just do that to the whole world? 

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Another big jump.  I don't know how people are not freaked out about it coming to the US.  It is already here.  The way it has overtaken China and will continue to do so, won't it just do that to the whole world? 

I think now is probably a somewhat critical time if they can contain it now it will be ok. My feeling is it probably has been in China for longer than acknowledged and infection protocol didn’t kick in soon enough.  But because we know if we’re careful to contain it it will be ok.  Also lower population density etc has to help.  
another factor is whether it’s likely to be seasonal so not as big a risk in different climates etc.  I do feel more concern now than a week ago though still not panic.

• Like 3

https://amp.theage.com.au/national/victoria/one-coronavirus-case-is-a-monash-university-staff-member-vice-chancellor-20200202-p53wyi.html?__twitter_impression=true

I thought the decision to delay this uni start times was odd bit turns out they have a staff member infected.

the travel ban from China will have a big impact here as we have a lot of overseas students.

4 hours ago, StellaM said:

Outside of China, there is still no reason to be scared. (And again, that's from someone with health anxiety, underlying condition, and who spent last week sitting next to new students from China).

Just keep washing your hands! (I do soap and water through the day at home and school, and hand sanitiser on public transport). Don't touch your face when you're out

I think international attention ought to be turned to supporting China deal with this, especially the developed world, where we have good public health protocols already up and running. 

That's the hard part. It can be so unconscious to touch your face, scratch an itchy eye or nose, etc. And more so for kids who really are not aware of such things it seems. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ktgrok said:

That's the hard part. It can be so unconscious to touch your face, scratch an itchy eye or nose, etc. And more so for kids who really are not aware of such things it seems. 

Yep

i have a kid with low muscle tone and he constant leans and holds onto stuff.  Another one who is a bit sensory and really unaware.  

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yep

i have a kid with low muscle tone and he constant leans and holds onto stuff.  Another one who is a bit sensory and really unaware.  

Yeah, one of mine is known to lick shopping carts, shelves, etc. he's our patient zero with most bugs in this house. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Yeah, one of mine is known to lick shopping carts, shelves, etc. he's our patient zero with most bugs in this house. 

Lol my patient zero is now 10 and it’s slowing down slightly.  My oldest ds gets cranky when he sees patient zero touching stuff in shops because he’s paranoid of getting sick

https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-who-warns-nations-to-prepare-for-local-outbreaks/90cfb6e4-c51b-4c10-80db-caf9db9a2a0f

WHO warns other nations to prepare for potential domestic outbreaks.  In the last report they highlighted that a French health worker who came in contact with two cases before they were diagnosed became infected.

• Sad 1

My DS was at a University event yesterday that had free pizza.  While waiting to collect his pieces he got out his hand sanitizer and people wanted to pay him for doing their hands too.....he shared for free!  Just the normal flu is going around on campus but obviously students are aware to some degree.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

My DS was at a University event yesterday that had free pizza.  While waiting to collect his pieces he got out his hand sanitizer and people wanted to pay him for doing their hands too.....he shared for free!  Just the normal flu is going around on campus but obviously students are aware to some degree.

One UK case was a university student wasn’t it? That might make for more awareness amongst students. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m thinking maybe exposure during the flight?  Or if the thing about faecal matter is true from using a toilet or something.  Seems a short time for exposure.

I'm guessing the passenger is like most people with a layover: on a mission to find a bathroom and get something to eat. If they didn't wash their hands after using the toilet, that would be a fast path to exposure. 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Interesting article about how the hidden vector might be the faecal route.

Coronavirus lurking in feces may reveal hidden risk of spread

When I lived in a provincial city in China - I left eleven years ago - public toilets did not typically provide soap. For those of us living where soap is more available, it's possible that transmission might be much less fast. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

When I lived in a provincial city in China - I left eleven years ago - public toilets did not typically provide soap. For those of us living where soap is more available, it's possible that transmission might be much less fast. 

Except for all those studies about all the people who never wash their hands ... blurgh

hopefully if nothing else all the hype raises awareness about basic hygiene 

2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-VIRUS-COMPARISON/0100B5BY3CY/index.html    This is interesting for us visual learners.  

Just read that China is saying no funerals or burials.  Bodies must be cremated nearly immediately and close by.   😥

***I apologize if anyone has already posted this...  trying to read here and everywhere  else and can’t keep it all straight... 

Is that because of the risk from the bodies I wonder or the risk from a large funeral gathering? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yep

i have a kid with low muscle tone and he constant leans and holds onto stuff.  Another one who is a bit sensory and really unaware

have one boy who runs his hands over surfaces and then licks his hand. It is a sensory thing. He does it in public toilets sometimes it is so disgusting 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I say this with all the love in the world, mother of 5, aunt of 8, Gaga about several friends’ offspring (my keyboard auto capitalized Gaga, lol)...

Children are disgusting. Many adults are barely any better. And we all have unconscious habits and reflexes. I hate winter.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://archive.is/ObawP&xid=17259,15700019,15700186,15700191,15700259,15700271&usg=ALkJrhhh4UF-lUF2EVK9nWCTwWvU6DP0Yg

article on why the statistics may be wrong.  No idea about the source accuracy 

following China nonghua news on twitter.  No idea who they are but Love their spirit.  Not pg though 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t do well without a lot of data. So I would/will feel better if/when the numbers of “recovered” patients gets a lot bigger than the dead. Regardless of how many others may or may not be infected, mildly or otherwise, I would expect more of the earlier cases to be on the mend by now.

So, I thought for another minute, and I don’t want to erase what I wrote because I still feel that way, BUT... I went back and checked the timeline. Given that the reported numbers were only in the hundreds less than two weeks ago, I can accept a little more time for an increase in recoveries.  But it had better happen!!!

Possibly this was mentioned upthread.  I have not read all of the messages...  There seems to be a possibility (or it has been confirmed?) that this Virus has been transmitted from one person to another person, when the first person was asymptomatic? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Possibly this was mentioned upthread.  I have not read all of the messages...  There seems to be a possibility (or it has been confirmed?) that this Virus has been transmitted from one person to another person, when the first person was asymptomatic? 

I think this was true with the cases in Germany.  And also possibly in Japan that people have tested positive without having symptoms but not transmitted it.

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Lanny said:

20200201-sitrep-12-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=273c5

latest who report that talks about it a bit

sorry I didn’t mean to embed but can’t link for some reason 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lanny said:

The German case, iirc: Someone who hadn’t been in China got sick after contact with a coworker who had been in China and was asymptomatic positive       I think I saw there was one other such in another country.

Also possibly the Japanese tour bus driver who got sick after driving a tour group from China where apparently no one on tour had been clearly showing significant sickness symptoms?

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://vietnamnews.vn/society/591720/viet-nam-confirms-seventh-coronavirus-case.html

not sure if this is where I saw it but it’s one report anyway. Not sure about the source

Thanks.  

I noticed in article it talked about Vietnam stopping flights from China, where Hong Kong was included, then in part of the restriction lifted.  BBC had reported that medical workers in Hong Kong were threatening to strike to get incoming traffic from mainland China stopped because they can’t handle the Coronavirus cases coming in. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Lol my patient zero is now 10 and it’s slowing down slightly.  My oldest ds gets cranky when he sees patient zero touching stuff in shops because he’s paranoid of getting sick

Yup - my older daughter gives him heck when she catches him! 

8 hours ago, StellaM said:

It's super hard. But at least if you have properly and regularly washed hands accidentally touching your face, you're lightening the germ load.

Yes - with it being flu season I'm making sure everyone washes hands with soap as soon as we walk in the house from anywhere, and while out when possible. But when doing an hour long shopping trip or what not, there are SO many chances to touch something on the shelves and then touch their face before we finish up and wash hands. Sigh. 

I've actually started braving the store on the weekend so I can leave kids home with DH, rather than do it when it is less crowded during the week. A decision solidified yesterday when I was there and heard a mom choosing medication for her daughter,r who was with her, because she wanted something labeled for cold AND flu. Meanwhile, her coughing snotting daughter is touching five million things on the shelf! 

I get it, I do - I've had to take sick kids to the store to get meds/tissues/food before. But please try to keep them from touching things! I put mine in the cart if I could at all manage it to help. but she didn't even mention to her daughter to please stop touching things. Ick! 

I did have DD2 with me, but she sits in the cart so she can't reach to touch anything, and I disinfect the areas she can reach as best I can before putting her in. 

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I say this with all the love in the world, mother of 5, aunt of 8, Gaga about several friends’ offspring (my keyboard auto capitalized Gaga, lol)...

Children are disgusting. Many adults are barely any better. And we all have unconscious habits and reflexes. I hate winter.

Totally. I worked in veterinary medicine where a normal day had me cleaning up poop, getting peed on, and sticking my fingers up someone's butt. No where near as gross as kids, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://archive.is/ObawP&xid=17259,15700019,15700186,15700191,15700259,15700271&usg=ALkJrhhh4UF-lUF2EVK9nWCTwWvU6DP0Yg

article on why the statistics may be wrong.  No idea about the source accuracy 

following China nonghua news on twitter.  No idea who they are but Love their spirit.  Not pg though 

To the extent I can make sense of that it sounds awful.   The descriptions sound consistent with the podcast report about “a virus journey across China” linked above somewhere. 

Maybe later @Arcadia will see it and let us know if the general sense (never mind who is male and female and “coronary” for Coronavirus type mistranslations) of people not being able to get through on 911/999 type emergency lines because of a queue of 500 ahead and infecting families at home because hospitals are full is correct.  

I had the feeling, though it wasn’t stated that the elderly aren’t being admitted to hospital (or sent home even if very ill) perhaps because they aren’t expected to survive?  Maybe limited beds given to people with more chance? 

I wonder if it’s known for certain that cremation is a good solution.  It would be terrible if cremation is being rushed and turns out to itself cause greater dispersal of virus.  Maybe worry about that is why remains are not being sent home for dispersal.  

I also wonder how the building of the new hospitals is coming along.  

Does anyone know a link to article on the early stage of the epidemic where, iirc, a doctor (maybe named Huang ?) said it couldn’t be caught except direct from infected animals, thus probably causing too little concern and leaving behavior that changed situation from a small number of cases to an epidemic? 

I am concerned that a similar thing could be happening now with reassurances that outside of China it’s not really a problem.  Not testing the person in Australia who got sick after being on plane outside the designated number of plane rows away from a known case etc.    

• Like 1

The anti-viral remdesivir worked well for the man in Washington state. He developed atypical pneumonia around the beginning of the second week. When his oxygen dropped to 90% and he had other markers of serious infection, they gave him remdesivir. The next day he felt much better and improved dramatically, except for a lingering cough which would not be unusual for someone to have after pneumonia. Anti-virals are being used elsewhere as well, including China, but the don’t have enough for everyone. They also do not know long-term effects.

Asian males might also be more vulnerable to develop more serious NCoV infections if it’s true that they have significantly more ACE2 receptors which I’ve read is what the NCoV binds to. Not sure if this is true.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pen said:

One UK case was a university student wasn’t it? That might make for more awareness amongst students. 

The two U.K. cases are in York, one is a student at the Uni there.  York is rather close to our home village and I know my kids awareness is heightened at that news.  They know several students at that Uni and are very aware that York is a favorite shopping spot for our village.  An easy drive or train ride for a nice meal and better shopping so friends go up to York every day......we normally go every other week.   York is a major tourist destination both within the U.K. and internationally so the possibility for spreading quickly to many locations is definitely large.  That said both my kids decided not to go to grad school in the U.K. and are in the US.  So Ds was sharing his hand sanitizer at an event in Florida where we are all currently living.  That said because of the number of students who traveled over the holidays when combined with close living conditions at all Uni’s,  students are a group that need to be very aware.  My kids have pointed out their classes are completely available online so if needed they feel fortunate to be able to hang out with mom and dad with their internet and mom’s freezer!  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

The two U.K. cases are in York, one is a student at the Uni there.  York is rather close to our home village and I know my kids awareness is heightened at that news.  They know several students at that Uni and are very aware that York is a favorite shopping spot for our village.  An easy drive or train ride for a nice meal and better shopping so friends go up to York every day......we normally go every other week.   York is a major tourist destination both within the U.K. and internationally so the possibility for spreading quickly to many locations is definitely large.  That said both my kids decided not to go to grad school in the U.K. and are in the US.  So Ds was sharing his hand sanitizer at an event in Florida where we are all currently living.  That said because of the number of students who traveled over the holidays when combined with close living conditions at all Uni’s,  students are a group that need to be very aware.  My kids have pointed out their classes are completely available online so if needed they feel fortunate to be able to hang out with mom and dad with their internet and mom’s freezer!  

Ah. Didn’t realize you were in USA currently.  Being able to study or work online from home could be a big help in getting illness under control.  

Dorm life plus uni stresses  tend to promote illness proliferation IME  

I live in a rural area where nearest decent size city is a university town,  which I think adds to illness spread in our area, but the Willamette valley of Oregon was apparently considered an area of illness back into Native American days, perhaps  related to environmental conditions, perhaps the very high winter humidity, or maybe an apocryphal  story.  My son though tended to get sick when track meets took him up into higher Cascades towns, even if drier and snowy rather than drenching rain of the valley and lower mountains .  I think it was from getting chilled. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Maybe later @Arcadia will see it and let us know if the general sense (never mind who is male and female and “coronary” for Coronavirus type mistranslations) of people not being able to get through on 911/999 type emergency lines because of a queue of 500 ahead and infecting families at home because hospitals are full is correct.  

I also wonder how the building of the new hospitals is coming along.  

The cached copy of the article is here in Chinese  

https://terminus2049.github.io/archive/2020/02/02/people-outside-of-statistics.html

Having gone through SARS in Asia, not surprising that hospitals are full and test kits are in short supply. Asia people knows the numbers can never be accurate in an epidemic even if no numbers were fudged. China is also battling the H5N1 avian flu as well. https://www.businessinsider.com/bird-flu-china-coronavirus-pathogenic-strain-of-h5n1-highly-2020-2

According to below linked Chinese article, two new hospitals would be ready on Feb 5th. They use the blueprint of the SARS epidemic hospital for these two.

The link is a mirrored copy of the original article on hospital building progress http://m.qulishi.com/article/202001/389581.html

Have to leave for my infusion treatment soon. I’ll check for more updated news articles later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Australians still not out yet, supposed to be tomorrow.  I hope so.  I feel pretty concerned that the measures China is seem to be using to try to control it.  

They were apparently wrongly assured early on that it wouldn’t spread human to human.

By time it was clear that was a wrong belief, virus was already epidemic in Wuhan / Hubei.  From then on they were “behind the eight ball” so to speak.    

At that point measures seem simultaneously and frighteningly both draconian and utterly inadequate.   And even amazing things like building a 1000 bed hospital in 7 days can’t begin to deal with all the critical condition cases let alone less severe ones. (Even if there are only 8000 sick in Wuhan, not far more sick, 1000 beds won’t suffice.)  

It sounds like they are triaging, which is really all that can be done when the number of sick are far more than resources can handle.  But with an easily spread infection that’s also a problem. 

I wonder if people who have had it and recover have immunity?

• Like 1

@Pen

This article is written more as a local government press release. It does contain information and google translate does a decent job translating https://m.thepaper.cn/newsDetail_forward_5736167

This article is written as a news article. Google translate somehow translated Feb 1st to May 1st which is weird because it’s obviously Feb 1st. Less laborious read compared to first article and good information too. https://m.yicai.com/news/100485658.html

Both articles stated medical supplies are short. Monetary donations are being raised and used to buy medical supplies. China Red Cross is doing their part in monetary donations and medical supplies. 

If you want to use google translate, do it on the second article as the first article is very verbose. Information is similar.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pen said:

I wonder if people who have had it and recover have immunity?

Viral infections almost always result in immunity. There may be concern though that the virus itself could mutate into multiple similar strains, as influenza does; a person could catch a new strain even if they recovered from the original one.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, maize said:

Viral infections almost always result in immunity. There may be concern though that the virus itself could mutate into multiple similar strains, as influenza does; a person could catch a new strain even if they recovered from the original one.

Eventually, it's part of what ends an epidemic. The virus starts losing enough hosts.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, maize said:

What was on my mind asking that is the thought that maybe by now there are a number of recovered milder case people who will in not too long be feeling well enough to be able to help with sick people in some way.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BeachGal said:

The anti-viral remdesivir worked well for the man in Washington state. He developed atypical pneumonia around the beginning of the second week. When his oxygen dropped to 90% and he had other markers of serious infection, they gave him remdesivir. The next day he felt much better and improved dramatically, except for a lingering cough which would not be unusual for someone to have after pneumonia. Anti-virals are being used elsewhere as well, including China, but the don’t have enough for everyone. They also do not know long-term effects.

Asian males might also be more vulnerable to develop more serious NCoV infections if it’s true that they have significantly more ACE2 receptors which I’ve read is what the NCoV binds to. Not sure if this is true.

Here's a Reuters article about a different med protocol that also worked well in Thailand:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cocktail-flu-hiv-drugs-appears-124753996.html

The doctors from Rajavithi Hospital in Bangkok said a new approach in coronavirus treatment had improved the condition of several patients under their care, including one 70-year-old Chinese woman from Wuhan who tested positive for the coronavirus for 10 days.

The drug treatment includes a mixture of anti-HIV drugs lopinavir and ritonavir, in combination with flu drug oseltamivir in large doses.

"This is not the cure, but the patient's condition has vastly improved. From testing positive for 10 days under our care, after applying this combination of medicine the test result became negative within 48 hours," Dr. Kriangska Atipornwanich, a lung specialist at Rajavithi, told reporters.

"The outlook is good but we still have to do more study to determine that this can be a standard treatment."

• Like 3

I read, somewhere, today, on FoxNews.com or in the Google Discover feed on my phone, that the U.S. Government is increasing the Quarantine time, from 14 days to 30 days. I am not sure if that applies only to U.S. Citizens and their families who are being evacuated to the 4 military bases in the USA, or if it also applies to Aliens.  Or, if  Aliens coming from Hunan will be barred from entry.  The article I read was to me ambiguous in exactly what the regulations are and I suspect the regulations are not yet in concrete.

Those who were on the first evacuation flight are under the first quarantine order the CDC has issued in 50 years. I believe that quarantine is for 14 days. They are in So CA.

It seems that they do not have a solid understanding about how this Corona Virus works. If that lack of understanding continues, I suspect they will limit travelers from China going to the USA.

• Like 1

I definitely don't think there's been a coverup worldwide. I mean, in China, they definitely covered up the early spread. But I don't think other large governments are at the moment.

One thing that has been growing is bigotry against Chinese Americans in the wake of this. I read about a Chinese American professor who hasn't been to China itself in many years whose students demanded she wear a mask to come to class and teach. Like, ugh. Not cool, folks. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 5

39 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

Here's a Reuters article about a different med protocol that also worked well in Thailand:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cocktail-flu-hiv-drugs-appears-124753996.html

The doctors from Rajavithi Hospital in Bangkok said a new approach in coronavirus treatment had improved the condition of several patients under their care, including one 70-year-old Chinese woman from Wuhan who tested positive for the coronavirus for 10 days.

The drug treatment includes a mixture of anti-HIV drugs lopinavir and ritonavir, in combination with flu drug oseltamivir in large doses.

"This is not the cure, but the patient's condition has vastly improved. From testing positive for 10 days under our care, after applying this combination of medicine the test result became negative within 48 hours," Dr. Kriangska Atipornwanich, a lung specialist at Rajavithi, told reporters.

"The outlook is good but we still have to do more study to determine that this can be a standard treatment."

Fauci mentioned that they are looking at a number of anti virals as well as possibly something new that involves antibodies. The Riverside evacuees are involved in the antibodies treatment from what I’ve read but I don’t know much about it. Gilead, the US company that makes Remdesivir, the anti viral that worked very well in the Washington State man, has given China some doses of Remdesivir to use. We’ll have to wait to hear more about them.

• Like 3