Menu

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

No rationing of mask at Home Depot and Lowe’s so far. 

Thank You! I assumed that the local Home Depots would have run out the masks and never checked there. I will pick some up tomorrow (were you referring to N95 masks?).

• Replies 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• prairiewindmomma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DS got home 3 hours ago!  ❤️❤️

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

That's not a blanket right.  If my religion required human sacrifice, I can't practice it.  If my religion required sexual assault, I can't practice it. Freedom of religion isn't a blanket right

Posted Images

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What are you guys seeing in your communities?

A few things here:

1. I was at Home Depot picking up stuff for a project and there are now limits on buying masks. Chinese families are buying them and shipping them home. Lowe’s, Ace Hardware and nearly everyone is out of N95 respirator masks. I am holding off on sanding and refinishing my doors. 😉

2. The local premium mall usually has busloads of Chinese tourists here to spend $$$$ shopping. The signs in Chinese wishing everyone good fortune in the new year were up but there were no buses there. 

3. I see people in masks and wearing gloves. Some of that is normal in winter with Asian populations but some of this is very not normal.

4. Work trips to Asia are being replaced with conference calls, but offices are shutting down.

I called our only local med supply store, and the N95 masks are $8.95 for a single mask.  I will just stay home if corona comes to town.  My husband can wear a respirator to go shopping.  Hopefully, it just won't happen in our isolated community.

• Like 1

Australia has gone to “do not travel” advice for China.  Non Australian citizens (tourists) who are in or pass through China won’t be allowed to enter.  All travellers from mainland China are being asked to self isolate for 14 days.

Edited by Ausmumof3
1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

I assumed that the local Home Depots would have run out the masks and never checked there. I will pick some up tomorrow (were you referring to N95 masks?).

Online is saying limited stock for N95 masks in the San Jose store nearest to me. Stanford healthcare was well stock of the usual earloop face mask for visitors when I went for my routine oncologist appointment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

A few things here:

1. I was at Home Depot picking up stuff for a project and there are now limits on buying masks. Chinese families are buying them and shipping them home. Lowe’s, Ace Hardware and nearly everyone is out of N95 respirator masks. I am holding off on sanding and refinishing my doors. 😉

2. The local premium mall usually has busloads of Chinese tourists here to spend $$$$ shopping. The signs in Chinese wishing everyone good fortune in the new year were up but there were no buses there. 

3. I see people in masks and wearing gloves. Some of that is normal in winter with Asian populations but some of this is very not normal.

4. Work trips to Asia are being replaced with conference calls, but offices are shutting down.

I’m not seeing much of anything, mostly because I’m limiting my comings and goings.  Most people I know aren’t phased, and yet my Walmart is out of masks. (I have a very limited supply at home given the size of my family. Wasn’t able to get more in my pick up order earlier this week.)

I did wear gloves to pump my gas yesterday.  I’m already grossed out by gas pumps, so it doesn’t feel excessive to me at all except for the social factor.

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

No rationing of mask at Home Depot and Lowe’s so far. 

SF Premium Outlet in Livermore still gets Chinese tour buses. 

Mask is normal here because of flu season but haven’t seen anyone in gloves yet.

My husband’s colleagues who came back from China are working from home in self quarantine.

My county has its first case. It’s a big county and they are not saying which city so people are guessing. 

Santa Clara County - The County of Santa Clara Public Health Department received confirmation today from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that an adult male resident of the county has tested positive for the novel (new) coronavirus. 

This case recently traveled to Wuhan, China and became ill upon returning home. He was seen at a local clinic and hospital, but was never was sick enough to require hospitalization. He is in stable condition and is self-isolating at home, and he did not leave home while he had symptoms except to seek medical care. Public Health Department staff are in regular contact and monitoring his symptoms and condition. Further information about the individual will not be released for reasons of medical privacy. ” https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/news/Pages/novel-coronavirus-1-31-2020.aspx

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Thanks for those updates. My oldest DS is in San Jose, and I heard about the case they have. I meant to text him yesterday to see how people were reacting, but I got busy and forgot. Which kinda shows how concerned I am about this. 😉 

ETA: By "there" I of course mean the county, not that particular city. We found out on a recent trip how very big California counties are!

Edited by Pawz4me

I have read that an interesting comparison is to take Chinese numbers for infection and death rates, then subtract Wuhan/ Hubei, the idea being that the virus is not and cannot be controlled there, because it spread too far too fast and got past the capabilities of the infrastructure both for treatment (they're not admitting all sick people to hospitals, or able to treat them adequately as you can see by videos of people sick in the hallways of hospitals, reporting that they couldn't get admitted to hospital, etc.) and for identification (evidently they now, as of today, have 8k tests available/day, but not enough people to read them, and were woefully short on tests before).  

So anyway, if you take out Wuhan, it is an interesting perspective on how the rest of China is handling the infection (rate of spread is holding steady/decreasing, even with greater availability of tests in other regions, and deaths are much lower, presumably as treatment is more readily available and more cases are being seen in the first place).  I found it a reassuring idea.

On the other hand, a preliminary report came out that says via statistical analysis, the R0 for this virus is 4.08, truly end of the world level.  I'm hoping that turns out to be innaccurate because numbers out of China are inaccurate, though.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Thanks for those updates. My oldest DS is in San Jose, and I heard about the case they have. I meant to text him yesterday to see how people were reacting, but I got busy and forgot. Which kinda shows how concerned I am about this. 😉 

San Jose itself is a big city with an international airport. There are many Lowe’s and Home Depot stores, and Costco too. However, if stocks run low for N95, he can try Ace Hardware https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/workwear-and-safety-gear/respirators Harbor Freight is another hardware store he could try https://www.harborfreight.com/safety/masks-respirators.html

I’ll be concern when my husband’s department is advised to work from home. We are still in flu season here so anyone sick usually works from home.

11 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

San Jose itself is a big city with an international airport. There are many Lowe’s and Home Depot stores, and Costco too. However, if stocks run low for N95, he can try Ace Hardware https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/workwear-and-safety-gear/respirators Harbor Freight is another hardware store he could try https://www.harborfreight.com/safety/masks-respirators.html

I’ll be concern when my husband’s department is advised to work from home. We are still in flu season here so anyone sick usually works from home.

I don't think he'd be inclined to go out hunting for a mask. He's more of the "I'm young, healthy and fit and the media is blowing it out of proportion" mindset. Plus like your DH he does have the ability to work from home if necessary, or even just because he wants to.

• Like 1

Are those masks still available on eBay? Finding them on eBay would be a lot easier than driving around to a bunch of local stores, hoping they have some in stock.

13 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Vegas medical store sells 250K face masks amid coronavirus outbreak

That area is near Chinatown but as I posted last week, everything is sold out. The medical supply stores have been wiped out. We have a huge Chinese population along with tourists sending masks back, but also wearing masks here. There's one person in isolation at home still awaiting test results. 

Business slow in Las Vegas Chinatown following Coronavirus outbreak

Edited by Plum

I’ve not noticed anything unusual where I am other than some people talking about it, but less now than when first case arrived (we are also in PNW).

There's another confirmed case in the USA now. A man who'd recently returned from Wuhan. Apparently he doesn't have serious symptoms and is self-isolating at home. He's the 7th confirmed case in the USA now.

2 hours ago, Pen said:

There seem to be ~ 3000 more cases when I checked online now than when I checked yesterday

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/29/asia/coronavirus-cases-worldwide-intl-hnk/index.html

I think that’s to be expected. I think as tests are being processed the confirmed case number is catching up with reality to a degree. I strongly suspect the actual China number is much higher.

So, at this point, we’re past the SARS outbreak. What I am REALLY hoping is that as people return from CNY (Chinese New Year) is that we won’t see the infected pop over into the broader population.

We had a measles outbreak here last year and so much time and money was spent tracking where the infected had gone because measles is so contagious. The longer the worldwide worry continues the more $$$$$$$$ is going to be spent on this, business/trade will be interrupted (risking recession), etc. Even if this isn’t the zombie apocalypse, this is still disruptive.

• Like 3

My husband was at Lowes today and saw a big display of N95 masks.  He bought a couple boxes, which was funny because we aren't really concerned at this point.  I had called med supply mostly because I wanted a box of kid sized masks.  He will use the masks anyway for woodworking projects.  We really would just hole up at home if there was an issue though.  There are so many other factors with the spread in China.  People shouldn't be fearful.

4 hours ago, StellaM said:

Outside of China, there is still no reason to be scared. (And again, that's from someone with health anxiety, underlying condition, and who spent last week sitting next to new students from China).

Just keep washing your hands! (I do soap and water through the day at home and school, and hand sanitiser on public transport). Don't touch your face when you're out. 

I think international attention ought to be turned to supporting China deal with this, especially the developed world, where we have good public health protocols already up and running. 

I feel concerned about the potential loss of freedom in China from this eventually.  I don’t know if that’s a legitimate concern.  

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

14554 cases, 300 fatalities Possibly 1st outside of China (Philippines) but not confirmed to be coronavirus yet.

Another big jump.  I don't know how people are not freaked out about it coming to the US.  It is already here.  The way it has overtaken China and will continue to do so, won't it just do that to the whole world? 

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Another big jump.  I don't know how people are not freaked out about it coming to the US.  It is already here.  The way it has overtaken China and will continue to do so, won't it just do that to the whole world? 

I think now is probably a somewhat critical time if they can contain it now it will be ok. My feeling is it probably has been in China for longer than acknowledged and infection protocol didn’t kick in soon enough.  But because we know if we’re careful to contain it it will be ok.  Also lower population density etc has to help.  
another factor is whether it’s likely to be seasonal so not as big a risk in different climates etc.  I do feel more concern now than a week ago though still not panic.

• Like 3

https://amp.theage.com.au/national/victoria/one-coronavirus-case-is-a-monash-university-staff-member-vice-chancellor-20200202-p53wyi.html?__twitter_impression=true

I thought the decision to delay this uni start times was odd bit turns out they have a staff member infected.

the travel ban from China will have a big impact here as we have a lot of overseas students.

4 hours ago, StellaM said:

Outside of China, there is still no reason to be scared. (And again, that's from someone with health anxiety, underlying condition, and who spent last week sitting next to new students from China).

Just keep washing your hands! (I do soap and water through the day at home and school, and hand sanitiser on public transport). Don't touch your face when you're out

I think international attention ought to be turned to supporting China deal with this, especially the developed world, where we have good public health protocols already up and running. 

That's the hard part. It can be so unconscious to touch your face, scratch an itchy eye or nose, etc. And more so for kids who really are not aware of such things it seems. 

• Like 2
Just now, Ktgrok said:

That's the hard part. It can be so unconscious to touch your face, scratch an itchy eye or nose, etc. And more so for kids who really are not aware of such things it seems. 

Yep

i have a kid with low muscle tone and he constant leans and holds onto stuff.  Another one who is a bit sensory and really unaware.  

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yep

i have a kid with low muscle tone and he constant leans and holds onto stuff.  Another one who is a bit sensory and really unaware.  

Yeah, one of mine is known to lick shopping carts, shelves, etc. he's our patient zero with most bugs in this house. 

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Yeah, one of mine is known to lick shopping carts, shelves, etc. he's our patient zero with most bugs in this house. 

Lol my patient zero is now 10 and it’s slowing down slightly.  My oldest ds gets cranky when he sees patient zero touching stuff in shops because he’s paranoid of getting sick

My DS was at a University event yesterday that had free pizza.  While waiting to collect his pieces he got out his hand sanitizer and people wanted to pay him for doing their hands too.....he shared for free!  Just the normal flu is going around on campus but obviously students are aware to some degree.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

My DS was at a University event yesterday that had free pizza.  While waiting to collect his pieces he got out his hand sanitizer and people wanted to pay him for doing their hands too.....he shared for free!  Just the normal flu is going around on campus but obviously students are aware to some degree.

One UK case was a university student wasn’t it? That might make for more awareness amongst students. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Wow.  That’s kinda scary to me.  

I’m thinking maybe exposure during the flight?  Or if the thing about faecal matter is true from using a toilet or something.  Seems a short time for exposure.

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

US citizen in vietnam has it after a 2 hour layover in Wuhan airport 

I haven’t seen that report as yet, where did you see/hear it?

https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-VIRUS-COMPARISON/0100B5BY3CY/index.html    This is interesting for us visual learners.  

Just read that China is saying no funerals or burials.  Bodies must be cremated nearly immediately and close by.   😥

***I apologize if anyone has already posted this...  trying to read here and everywhere  else and can’t keep it all straight... 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m thinking maybe exposure during the flight?  Or if the thing about faecal matter is true from using a toilet or something.  Seems a short time for exposure.

I'm guessing the passenger is like most people with a layover: on a mission to find a bathroom and get something to eat. If they didn't wash their hands after using the toilet, that would be a fast path to exposure. 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Interesting article about how the hidden vector might be the faecal route.

Coronavirus lurking in feces may reveal hidden risk of spread

When I lived in a provincial city in China - I left eleven years ago - public toilets did not typically provide soap. For those of us living where soap is more available, it's possible that transmission might be much less fast. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

When I lived in a provincial city in China - I left eleven years ago - public toilets did not typically provide soap. For those of us living where soap is more available, it's possible that transmission might be much less fast. 

Except for all those studies about all the people who never wash their hands ... blurgh

hopefully if nothing else all the hype raises awareness about basic hygiene 

2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-VIRUS-COMPARISON/0100B5BY3CY/index.html    This is interesting for us visual learners.  

Just read that China is saying no funerals or burials.  Bodies must be cremated nearly immediately and close by.   😥

***I apologize if anyone has already posted this...  trying to read here and everywhere  else and can’t keep it all straight... 

Is that because of the risk from the bodies I wonder or the risk from a large funeral gathering? 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yep

i have a kid with low muscle tone and he constant leans and holds onto stuff.  Another one who is a bit sensory and really unaware

have one boy who runs his hands over surfaces and then licks his hand. It is a sensory thing. He does it in public toilets sometimes it is so disgusting 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I say this with all the love in the world, mother of 5, aunt of 8, Gaga about several friends’ offspring (my keyboard auto capitalized Gaga, lol)...

Children are disgusting. Many adults are barely any better. And we all have unconscious habits and reflexes. I hate winter.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://archive.is/ObawP&xid=17259,15700019,15700186,15700191,15700259,15700271&usg=ALkJrhhh4UF-lUF2EVK9nWCTwWvU6DP0Yg

article on why the statistics may be wrong.  No idea about the source accuracy 

following China nonghua news on twitter.  No idea who they are but Love their spirit.  Not pg though 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t do well without a lot of data. So I would/will feel better if/when the numbers of “recovered” patients gets a lot bigger than the dead. Regardless of how many others may or may not be infected, mildly or otherwise, I would expect more of the earlier cases to be on the mend by now.

So, I thought for another minute, and I don’t want to erase what I wrote because I still feel that way, BUT... I went back and checked the timeline. Given that the reported numbers were only in the hundreds less than two weeks ago, I can accept a little more time for an increase in recoveries.  But it had better happen!!!