Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Apparently not unless you were in the 10 rows directly next to the person because it’s droplet born which means close contact is a 3m radius?  I don’t know that’s just what was said.

I thought planes tend to suck droplets into their air recirculating system and blow germs back out again. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pen said:

I thought planes tend to suck droplets into their air recirculating system and blow germs back out again. 

Well that would be my thoughts.  Plus plane air is always drying to throat lips etc which makes transmission easier.  But I’m not an expert.  I was surprised they didn’t test her though.

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

That is what the study of the first 99 cases show.  80pc of people have mild cold like symptoms, 20pc develop severe illness/disease.  1/5 still seems scary.

I agree.  And I don’t tend to be especially anxious about such things.

Free floating anxiety is bad, but anxiety that can lead to actions to help prevent unnecessary exposure seems like a safety mechanism for mammals, whether that involves washing with soap and water for a person  or moving to high ground when the ground rumbles for some animals who are good at avoiding tsunami waves.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pen said:

I agree.  And I don’t tend to be especially anxious about such things.

Free floating anxiety is bad, but anxiety that can lead to actions to help prevent unnecessary exposure seems like a safety mechanism for mammals, whether that involves washing with soap and water for a person  or moving to high ground when the ground rumbles for some animals who are good at avoiding tsunami waves.

I’m still not overly anxious for us here in Australia.  Or at least not for me and kids but maybe for my parents and grandparent.  As I would be with a flu outbreak etc.  I am more so for potential spread in other more populated countries and I think potentially the situation in areas of China seem concerning.  I just have been following the news too much while it’s been crazy hot.  And the inconsistencies in approach/message are bugging me.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Apparently not unless you were in the 10 rows directly next to the person because it’s droplet born which means close contact is a 3m radius?  I don’t know that’s just what was said.

36 minutes ago, Pen said:

News like National Geographic (https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/01/how-coronavirus-spreads-on-a-plane/) are quoting this Emory University FlyHealthy Research Team‘s study “Behaviors, movements, and transmission of droplet-mediated respiratory diseases during transcontinental airline flights,” (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2018). http://news.emory.edu/stories/2018/03/airline_disease_transmission_study/

Edited by Arcadia
Typing errors
  • Like 3

Fortunately, it looks like their will be a precise test for this 2019-nCoV coronavirus, by March !
At the moment, they just use more general tests for Coronaviruses.
Such as the one for a specific RNA Polymerase, which is just found in Coronaviruses.
If a person is positive for this Polymerase, and has also been in close contact with someone confirmed with this Virus?
Then it is assumed that they probably have it as well.
But it is all just Probability so far.
The actual Virus was only first cultured this week.  So that it can now be used to develop tests, and hopefully a vaccine.

The real figures wont be known for a long time.  Currently with possibly related deaths, blood sample are taken and stored.  For testing later, when accurate testing can be done.

6 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

It sure does with a family of asthmatics, including me.

yeah, my mom is a lung cancer survivor, with a large portion one lung removed and COPD. My niece has asthma and tends to get very sick with any respiratory thing. My best friend's son has some specific immune issues and just a cold has him on nebulizers and coughing so hard he can't breathe for weeks. I'm not worried for me, but for people like you and then. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m still not overly anxious for us here in Australia.  Or at least not for me and kids but maybe for my parents and grandparent.  As I would be with a flu outbreak etc.  I am more so for potential spread in other more populated countries and I think potentially the situation in areas of China seem concerning.  I just have been following the news too much while it’s been crazy hot.  And the inconsistencies in approach/message are bugging me.

I agree with that also.  

For China, of course, it’s concerning already.  And I am concerned about additional transmissions as it moved into India.  My sister did some medical volunteer work in India and said she thought it didn’t have good medical infrastructure to handle a complicated rapidly escalating contagion.  

The reports that indicated that a doctor and perhaps other medical workers are among the dead from secondary transmission from a patient (the one being called a superspreader or some word like that, iirc) are very concerning.  If true, that sort of thing makes handling the outbreak much more difficult.   

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, StellaM said:

Open it, dispose of packaging, wash your hands with soap and water for 2 rounds of Happy Birthday 🙂

IF whatever is in the packaging was not coughed or sneezed on or otherwise ended up carrying problem germs, that should work.   Outer packaging probably is handled by many more people so has higher risk.  But I think warehouse workers, shipping staff, in many places are under a lot of pressure as well, likely can’t stay home for what seems a mild cold...

14 minutes ago, Plum said:

Every doctor I’ve talked to says this still isn’t as bad (outside China) as the flu. It was almost comical this CNN article  was placed between many many Coronavirus articles. 

A deadly virus is spreading from state to state and has infected 15 million Americans so far. It's influenza

My concern has to do with apparent fatality and critical cases *rate* for the Wuhan Coronavirus.   Rate, not total numbers—if apparent rate of fatality/criticality per total cases is accurate, and if the Wuhan Coronavirus gets going through a population like the influenza, it appears that it could overwhelm the medical system even in countries with quite good systems let alone places without. 

Also people don’t tend to have immunity built up for novel illnesses. 

That’s probably part of why smallpox was so much more devastating to Native Americans than it had been for Europeans, for example.  

Novel (or novel to a region) illnesses do present a legitimate concern when they appear to be spreading so quickly and to have a significant proportion of people going into critical condition so quickly.   

And paying attention to an emerging illness tends to help get it contained. 

Otoh, yes, people should Certainly also use proper sanitation with regard to influenza!

• Like 2

U.S. Airlines Halt Flights to China, Government Urges No Travel

The U.S. State Department raised the travel advisory for China to Level 4: Do Not Travel, now on par with travel advisories to North Korea, Iran, and Syria. This Level 4 increase came one day after the  World Health Organization issued a global emergency due to the spread of the  Coronavirus.

American Airlines has now suspended all flights into China until March 27. Delta has announced it will suspend flights to China through April. United followed suit and just announced they, too, will suspend flights to China through March. U.S. officials are considering temporarily halting all flights to China. If you have travel booked to China or other parts of Asia, know your options and stay updated.

https://thriftytraveler.com/china-do-not-travel-all-major-u-s-airlines-suspend-flights/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

13 hours ago, Pen said:

Ugh!  When flying you walk past people in close promixity that don't necessarily sit within 10 rows.  You share lavatories and such.  If one was showing signs of illness and wants to get tested, shouldn't they be able?

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Ugh!  When flying you walk past people in close promixity that don't necessarily sit within 10 rows.  You share lavatories and such.  If one was showing signs of illness and wants to get tested, shouldn't they be able?

I would have thought so. 

But I guess they r low on testing resources—?  

11,301 case 258 deaths.

im seeing video claiming to show doors of buildings or rooms in buildings being sealed off, mostly with tape, in one case welded shut with a metal bar.  Not sure if they are legitimate.  In some ways the containment attempts seem scarier than the disease.

The us case also apparently showed virus in faeces as well as the nasal swabs etc but not in blood or urine.  I don’t know if that means anything different for transmission.  Australia looks like not getting people out before Monday.

16 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

11,301 case 258 deaths.

im seeing video claiming to show doors of buildings or rooms in buildings being sealed off, mostly with tape, in one case welded shut with a metal bar.  

Why?  I wonder.

The case you (or someone?) shared about the boy with cerebral palsy made me wonder if family and neighbors are afraid of anyone associated with anyone who has been ill (or been in Wuhan?)?   It sounded like the family was visiting family—yet no one to help the boy?  Or maybe rest of family died or took ill or was quarantined? 

Or people are over-anxious?

Or like in the radio program someone, maybe lecka? You? Shared,  people there in Wuhan area are seeing a lot more weird deaths than we are being told about. Perhaps have reason to think it’s more contagious in ways where shutting off rooms makes sense?

or maybe it’s  seriously sick people or family of seriously sick people who can’t get into hospitals quarantining themselves for safety of outsiders?

idk

16 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Not sure if they are legitimate.  In some ways the containment attempts seem scarier than the disease.

The us case also apparently showed virus in faeces as well as the nasal swabs etc but not in blood or urine.  I don’t know if that means anything different for transmission.  Australia looks like not getting people out before Monday.

Guess in faeces it

-increases issues in care of patients     Especially for patients too sick to use a toilet

- raises issues with toilets, especially in public toilets especially if they flush without lids and cause aerosols    Or maybe if in some countries /places don’t flush at all — pits and so on

- raises issue of whether it may be mutating so that it is increasingly in other parts of body than typical for respiratory virus.  Did they check sweat

4 minutes ago, Pen said:

Why?  I wonder.

The case you (or someone?) shared about the boy with cerebral palsy made me wonder if family and neighbors are afraid of anyone associated with anyone who has been ill (or been in Wuhan?)?   It sounded like the family was visiting family—yet no one to help the boy?  Or maybe rest of family died or took ill or was quarantined? 

Or people are over-anxious?

Or like in the radio program someone, maybe lecka? You? Shared,  people there in Wuhan area are seeing a lot more weird deaths than we are being told about. Perhaps have reason to think it’s more contagious in ways where shutting off rooms makes sense?

or maybe it’s  seriously sick people or family of seriously sick people who can’t get into hospitals quarantining themselves for safety of outsiders?

idk

Guess in faeces it

-increases issues in care of patients     Especially for patients too sick to use a toilet

- raises issues with toilets, especially in public toilets especially if they flush without lids and cause aerosols    Or maybe if in some countries /places don’t flush at all — pits and so on

- raises issue of whether it may be mutating so that it is increasingly in other parts of body than typical for respiratory virus.  Did they check sweat

From the on the ground videos it seems like no one is going out much.  So maybe no one realised. And I guess maybe in a culture with smaller families there’s more disconnect so no ones checking up.  I don’t know?  I mean if schools etc are all locked down and you don’t have grandparents checking in who’s to know.  And sometimes having kids with special needs etc can be fairly isolating.  The other son had autism as well.  

• Like 2

What are you guys seeing in your communities?

A few things here:

1. I was at Home Depot picking up stuff for a project and there are now limits on buying masks. Chinese families are buying them and shipping them home. Lowe’s, Ace Hardware and nearly everyone is out of N95 respirator masks. I am holding off on sanding and refinishing my doors. 😉

2. The local premium mall usually has busloads of Chinese tourists here to spend $$$$ shopping. The signs in Chinese wishing everyone good fortune in the new year were up but there were no buses there. 

3. I see people in masks and wearing gloves. Some of that is normal in winter with Asian populations but some of this is very not normal.

4. Work trips to Asia are being replaced with conference calls, but offices are shutting down.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

No rationing of mask at Home Depot and Lowe’s so far. 

SF Premium Outlet in Livermore still gets Chinese tour buses. 

Mask is normal here because of flu season but haven’t seen anyone in gloves yet.

My husband’s colleagues who came back from China are working from home in self quarantine.

My county has its first case. It’s a big county and they are not saying which city so people are guessing. 

Santa Clara County - The County of Santa Clara Public Health Department received confirmation today from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that an adult male resident of the county has tested positive for the novel (new) coronavirus. 

This case recently traveled to Wuhan, China and became ill upon returning home. He was seen at a local clinic and hospital, but was never was sick enough to require hospitalization. He is in stable condition and is self-isolating at home, and he did not leave home while he had symptoms except to seek medical care. Public Health Department staff are in regular contact and monitoring his symptoms and condition. Further information about the individual will not be released for reasons of medical privacy. ” https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/news/Pages/novel-coronavirus-1-31-2020.aspx
  • Like 1

My county officially has one case in self-isolation: schools are sending out emails asking parents who traveled to China to isolate themselves from kids and if kids traveled to China, to stay home for 14 days. The patient came back from Wuhan this week. So, there will be more cases as and when the returnees from Wuhan start showing symptoms.

Qantas are suspending direct flights as of the 9th of Feb.

I don’t really understand that.  Either it’s a threat and they need to stop ASAP or it’s not a threat and there’s no point stopping flights in a week.  Maybe they are waiting till the evacuation is done to not upset the Chinese government but if so why publicise it now

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

For some light humor, an Australian journalist made a geography or proofreading mistake

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/singapore-has-barred-arrivals-from-china-over-coronavirus-fears

“Singapore, which is home to one of the busiest airports in China, has moved to ban arrivals and transit passengers from mainland China.”

I hope he or she meant busiest in Asia!  I suspect it’s a proofreading error, but could be geography.  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Thank You! I assumed that the local Home Depots would have run out the masks and never checked there. I will pick some up tomorrow (were you referring to N95 masks?).

Australia has gone to “do not travel” advice for China.  Non Australian citizens (tourists) who are in or pass through China won’t be allowed to enter.  All travellers from mainland China are being asked to self isolate for 14 days.

Edited by Ausmumof3

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

I assumed that the local Home Depots would have run out the masks and never checked there. I will pick some up tomorrow (were you referring to N95 masks?).

Online is saying limited stock for N95 masks in the San Jose store nearest to me. Stanford healthcare was well stock of the usual earloop face mask for visitors when I went for my routine oncologist appointment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

A few things here:

1. I was at Home Depot picking up stuff for a project and there are now limits on buying masks. Chinese families are buying them and shipping them home. Lowe’s, Ace Hardware and nearly everyone is out of N95 respirator masks. I am holding off on sanding and refinishing my doors. 😉

2. The local premium mall usually has busloads of Chinese tourists here to spend $$$$ shopping. The signs in Chinese wishing everyone good fortune in the new year were up but there were no buses there. 

3. I see people in masks and wearing gloves. Some of that is normal in winter with Asian populations but some of this is very not normal.

4. Work trips to Asia are being replaced with conference calls, but offices are shutting down.

I’m not seeing much of anything, mostly because I’m limiting my comings and goings.  Most people I know aren’t phased, and yet my Walmart is out of masks. (I have a very limited supply at home given the size of my family. Wasn’t able to get more in my pick up order earlier this week.)

I did wear gloves to pump my gas yesterday.  I’m already grossed out by gas pumps, so it doesn’t feel excessive to me at all except for the social factor.

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

SF Premium Outlet in Livermore still gets Chinese tour buses. 

Mask is normal here because of flu season but haven’t seen anyone in gloves yet.

My husband’s colleagues who came back from China are working from home in self quarantine.

My county has its first case. It’s a big county and they are not saying which city so people are guessing. 

Santa Clara County - The County of Santa Clara Public Health Department received confirmation today from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that an adult male resident of the county has tested positive for the novel (new) coronavirus. 

This case recently traveled to Wuhan, China and became ill upon returning home. He was seen at a local clinic and hospital, but was never was sick enough to require hospitalization. He is in stable condition and is self-isolating at home, and he did not leave home while he had symptoms except to seek medical care. Public Health Department staff are in regular contact and monitoring his symptoms and condition. Further information about the individual will not be released for reasons of medical privacy. ” https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/news/Pages/novel-coronavirus-1-31-2020.aspx

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Thanks for those updates. My oldest DS is in San Jose, and I heard about the case they have. I meant to text him yesterday to see how people were reacting, but I got busy and forgot. Which kinda shows how concerned I am about this. 😉 

ETA: By "there" I of course mean the county, not that particular city. We found out on a recent trip how very big California counties are!

Edited by Pawz4me

I have read that an interesting comparison is to take Chinese numbers for infection and death rates, then subtract Wuhan/ Hubei, the idea being that the virus is not and cannot be controlled there, because it spread too far too fast and got past the capabilities of the infrastructure both for treatment (they're not admitting all sick people to hospitals, or able to treat them adequately as you can see by videos of people sick in the hallways of hospitals, reporting that they couldn't get admitted to hospital, etc.) and for identification (evidently they now, as of today, have 8k tests available/day, but not enough people to read them, and were woefully short on tests before).  

So anyway, if you take out Wuhan, it is an interesting perspective on how the rest of China is handling the infection (rate of spread is holding steady/decreasing, even with greater availability of tests in other regions, and deaths are much lower, presumably as treatment is more readily available and more cases are being seen in the first place).  I found it a reassuring idea.

On the other hand, a preliminary report came out that says via statistical analysis, the R0 for this virus is 4.08, truly end of the world level.  I'm hoping that turns out to be innaccurate because numbers out of China are inaccurate, though.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Thanks for those updates. My oldest DS is in San Jose, and I heard about the case they have. I meant to text him yesterday to see how people were reacting, but I got busy and forgot. Which kinda shows how concerned I am about this. 😉 

San Jose itself is a big city with an international airport. There are many Lowe’s and Home Depot stores, and Costco too. However, if stocks run low for N95, he can try Ace Hardware https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/workwear-and-safety-gear/respirators Harbor Freight is another hardware store he could try https://www.harborfreight.com/safety/masks-respirators.html

I’ll be concern when my husband’s department is advised to work from home. We are still in flu season here so anyone sick usually works from home.

11 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

San Jose itself is a big city with an international airport. There are many Lowe’s and Home Depot stores, and Costco too. However, if stocks run low for N95, he can try Ace Hardware https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/workwear-and-safety-gear/respirators Harbor Freight is another hardware store he could try https://www.harborfreight.com/safety/masks-respirators.html

I’ll be concern when my husband’s department is advised to work from home. We are still in flu season here so anyone sick usually works from home.

I don't think he'd be inclined to go out hunting for a mask. He's more of the "I'm young, healthy and fit and the media is blowing it out of proportion" mindset. Plus like your DH he does have the ability to work from home if necessary, or even just because he wants to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pen said:

There seem to be ~ 3000 more cases when I checked online now than when I checked yesterday

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/29/asia/coronavirus-cases-worldwide-intl-hnk/index.html

I think that’s to be expected. I think as tests are being processed the confirmed case number is catching up with reality to a degree. I strongly suspect the actual China number is much higher.

So, at this point, we’re past the SARS outbreak. What I am REALLY hoping is that as people return from CNY (Chinese New Year) is that we won’t see the infected pop over into the broader population.

We had a measles outbreak here last year and so much time and money was spent tracking where the infected had gone because measles is so contagious. The longer the worldwide worry continues the more $$$$$$$$ is going to be spent on this, business/trade will be interrupted (risking recession), etc. Even if this isn’t the zombie apocalypse, this is still disruptive.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, StellaM said:

Outside of China, there is still no reason to be scared. (And again, that's from someone with health anxiety, underlying condition, and who spent last week sitting next to new students from China).

Just keep washing your hands! (I do soap and water through the day at home and school, and hand sanitiser on public transport). Don't touch your face when you're out. 

I think international attention ought to be turned to supporting China deal with this, especially the developed world, where we have good public health protocols already up and running. 

I feel concerned about the potential loss of freedom in China from this eventually.  I don’t know if that’s a legitimate concern.  

• Like 2