Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

They are saying they don't KNOW. That's what they are saying. 

I think that when you are feeling overwhelmed, you should stay off this forum. It's not helpful to go in a spiral of negativity. 

And so what the hell am I supposed to do???? My mom's white counts are incredibly low. She has gone completely nuts and doesn't even know where she is half the time. She is completely ambulatory, though she did almost fall yesterday. So this variant means even masks don't work and now I am with my husband or with my mom or by myself. It is no longer safe for me to go anywhere so I don't bring something back.  Just being off this forum will not make me feel any better. And no, don't suggest therapy. They will say exactly what they did last time. It is normal for you to feel this way given what you are going through.  Big help.

• Sad 5

3 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

And so what the hell am I supposed to do???? My mom's white counts are incredibly low. She has gone completely nuts and doesn't even know where she is half the time. She is completely ambulatory, though she did almost fall yesterday. So this variant means even masks don't work and now I am with my husband or with my mom or by myself. It is no longer safe for me to go anywhere so I don't bring something back.  Just being off this forum will not make me feel any better. And no, don't suggest therapy. They will say exactly what they did last time. It is normal for you to feel this way given what you are going through.  Big help.

What evidence do we have that masks won't work with this variant?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I don't really do therapy, so I don't suggest that. 

I suggest you do anything that normally makes you feel better and less upset. I don't know what that is for you. Go for a walk? Watch a favorite TV show? Read a book? 

Anyway, do something not COVID-related. I know it doesn't make things better, but it's better than indulging in panic. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

No one anywhere is saying masks don’t work. Even the Covid zero people. Masks plus ventilation help a lot.  

I do feel for you because you have a tonne of stressors and this is just one more thing.  Try to focus on being in the moment with the people you are with and tune out the news for a bit.  Covid is nasty but so are mental health issues. If you can get outdoors with your weather and away from screens do it.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

No one anywhere is saying masks don’t work. Even the Covid zero people. Masks plus ventilation help a lot.  

I do feel for you because you have a tonne of stressors and this is just one more thing.  Try to focus on being in the moment with the people you are with and tune out the news for a bit.  Covid is nasty but so are mental health issues. If you can get outdoors with your weather and away from screens do it.

Cold and rainy, again today. When I go back to my mom's I cannot leave her or she may fall. And she has MSNBC on 24/7.  She cannot hear so it is at a very high volume. I HATE IT!!!  I hate FOX too.  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TexasProud said:

Cold and rainy, again today. When I go back to my mom's I cannot leave her or she may fall. And she has MSNBC on 24/7.  She cannot hear so it is at a very high volume. I HATE IT!!!  I hate FOX too.  

Ah that’s rough.  Maybe some ear plugs for some of the time.  Maybe now is a really good time to try to tune it out so that you have more resilience to do when you are stuck with it for a while. Do something to fill up your positivity account for a bit.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I’m hoping it’s not so scary. And the vaccines are a huge deal. We have so many more tools.

I also feel like I have many more tools to deal with socializing safely… masks, being outdoors, etc. 

Yes and no. The tools are there, but the willingness to use them is dwindling.
If I look at what's going on in Germany right now and observe how very good the adherence to public health measures like the mask mandate (even before lockdown N95s were required in stores and public transit) is there, I shudder when I extrapolate how this is going to play out once the 4th wave hits here in the US, in my state where there are absolutely NO public health measures in place, no masking on campus or in stores, my county at 40% vaxxed... 

It is quite depressing to know that people do have the tools but cannot be bothered to actually use them. 

• Sad 10

Just now, regentrude said:

If I look at what's going on in Germany right now and observe how very good the adherence to public health measures like the mask mandate (even before lockdown N95s were required in stores and public transit) is there, I shudder when I extrapolate how this is going to play out once the 4th wave hits here in the US, in my state where there are absolutely NO public health measures in place, no masking on campus or in stores, my county at 40% vaxxed... 

It is quite depressing to know that people do have the tools but cannot be bothered to actually use them. 

Yes, we're in different situations. We're in NYC and people are definitely using the tools. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

And no, don't suggest therapy. They will say exactly what they did last time. It is normal for you to feel this way given what you are going through.  Big help.

I'm sorry. Have you tried medication? For some people, nothing makes a big enough difference until they are on the right medication, and then life can look quite different.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

I’m trying so hard not to get anxious and depressed about Omicron. I know logically that it won’t be like 2020 because we have vaxxes and they will be able to tweak it if it evades. But it seems like we’ll never get past this. I’ve been far more cautious than most folks I know. And I’m starting to just not care. Which I know is awful. I know I’m the course of humanity I’m ridiculously lucky. But I still feel so down. 

Yes, I am also feeling depressed about Omicron. Just as the kids were finally getting vaccinated, Especially since I have very little confidence that the US will actually use all the tools at our disposal to dampen the impact. Getting targeted vaccines and a sufficient supply of Pfizer antivirals will take months. I am tired.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yes, we're in different situations. We're in NYC and people are definitely using the tools. 

I am in Michigan and well, it is the Wild Wild West out there. I am pretty certain this is going to rip through until 10% of the population is dead, and another significant portion can't work. The not working part will really p!ss off the nuts running our state legislature. But then they will blame the whole damn thing on the female governor whom they hate entirely based on misogynistic prick hate even thought they were the ones that stripped her of emergency powers and told the state health department to go to hell.

We have one semester to go and then youngest graduates college here in Michigan. I think we will flee to the mountain house for a while. It is so much easier for us to relax and nor participate in society.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Just recently one of our local vaccines got through stage three trials.  I think it recognises a bigger section of the virus so they are hopeful that it will be less vulnerable to mutations.  I’m hopeful that with the wide range we have available one of them will still work or at least mitigate severe disease.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

They are reacting very quickly.  Which kind of worries me.  Like they know more than they are saying.

I mean, I think reacting quickly to be cautious is definitely the right move.  I'm just surprised by it based on the information we currently have available.  

It is the 32 mutations on its spike proteins which is worrisome to scientists.  Delta only has eight.  Also, because it is spreading so rapidly in South Africa.  But it is likely that there is information that they will not make public until they have more certainty.

• Like 5

South Africa should be getting a lot of credit for doing enough serotyping to recognize this and make it known so quickly. I fear that some countries will want to keep it hidden initially if they discover a VOC within their country, to avoid travel restrictions or just stigma, so I hope that SA gets enough positive recognition for this to encourage others to do the same.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

People where I live had been following all the rules until the past couple of months.  We have very high vaccination rates.  Everyone wore masks.  
The past couple of months, people still wear masks in businesses but they are starting to lower their masks a lot wherever it’s not required.  Also, nobody is distancing anymore.  People walking right behind you or speaking right in your face and not getting it when you take a couple of steps back.  I think everyone feels confident because of the high vaccination rate BUT our numbers, including deaths and hospitalizations, have been going up and there are breakthrough cases.  People are so sick of the pandemic that I don’t know if they will change back even with Omicron.

Israel shuts borders to foreigners

Israel says it will ban the entry of all foreigners into the country, making it the first country to shut its borders completely in response to the Omicron variant.

The government says it will use counter-terrorism phone-tracking technology in order to contain the spread.

Prime Minister Naftali Bennett says the ban, pending government approval, would last 14 days.

Officials hope within that period there will be more information on how effective COVID-19 vaccines are against Omicron.

"Our working hypotheses are that the variant is already in nearly every country and that the vaccine is effective, although we don't yet know to what degree," Interior Minister Ayelet Shaked told N12's Meet the Press.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

They have been between 1000 to 1200 for a few weeks. Nobody cares any more. 

Hospitalisation is dropping daily. 

Ref is up over 1 though only just so I think it’s a really effect and hospitalisation is always a lagging indicator.  It might be just a slight fluctuation or it might not.  Hopefully vax rates high enough though.

• Like 1

Israel says it will ban the entry of all foreigners into the country, making it the first country to shut its borders completely in response to the Omicron variant.

The government says it will use counter-terrorism phone-tracking technology in order to contain the spread.

Prime Minister Naftali Bennett says the ban, pending government approval, would last 14 days.

Officials hope within that period there will be more information on how effective COVID-19 vaccines are against Omicron.

"Our working hypotheses are that the variant is already in nearly every country and that the vaccine is effective, although we don't yet know to what degree," Interior Minister Ayelet Shaked told N12's Meet the Press.

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

Ref is up over 1 though only just so I think it’s a really effect and hospitalisation is always a lagging indicator.  It might be just a slight fluctuation or it might not.  Hopefully vax rates high enough though.

I have heard on the radio, so cannot reference , that it is mostly in younger children, and they are having very mild to almost no symptoms, not unwell at all.

Also there has been a cluster in some area where there was a music concert, all fully vaccinated. 16 people at the concert caught it, and then spread it to household contacts, also all fully vaccinated. 

So we are being told that  there is no worry about hospitalisation

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I have heard on the radio, so cannot reference , that it is mostly in younger children, and they are having very mild to almost no symptoms, not unwell at all.

Also there has been a cluster in some area where there was a music concert, all fully vaccinated. 16 people at the concert caught it, and then spread it to household contacts, also all fully vaccinated. 

So we are being told that  there is no worry about hospitalisation

That’s good then, aside from the potential long Covid thing for kids.  Hopefully it’s just a hiccough not a trend.

36 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I feel like this tweet misrepresents her in the other direction. It sounded like she cares for a healthy population, and they had had mild cases (often just exhaustion), but she gave the caveat that her population is young and healthy and that it could turn out to be more serious in older people. The tweet makes it sound like she is warning people that it is severe in other groups.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Uplifting or interesting podcasts under some noise cancelling headphones might be nice. I like Stuff You Missed in History Class. There are lots of churches that have sermon podcasts. I bet there are music-centered podcasts as well. 

I am sorry caregiving is so difficult. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

NZ is still closed to all foreigners, and has been for 19 months.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KSera said:

I feel like this tweet misrepresents her in the other direction. It sounded like she cares for a healthy population, and they had had mild cases (often just exhaustion), but she gave the caveat that her population is young and healthy and that it could turn out to be more serious in older people. The tweet makes it sound like she is warning people that it is severe in other groups.

Yeah maybe.  I just noted that a couple of people had commented already on it and it sounds like a bit of a misrepresentation.  I’ve been kind of flat out all day so haven’t had much time to check into anything.  I think we’re still just in way too early to know territory and speculation is probably not super helpful (although I can’t help doing it!)

• Like 2

The general feeling I’m getting from Aus is there’s not much motivation/political will to stop omicron so we are going with the model of hoping vaccinations work against it to some degree and if not it will be likely too late. 

In Vic there were 1007 cases, 3 deaths. 90% of over 12s vaxed. NSW has 150. 92% of over 16s vaxed (wish everyone would use the over 12 metric given over 12s can get vaxed. Using over 16 just seems like a way to make figures sound better)

ACT 7 cases with 97.7% of over 12s vaccinated.

we had no cases in SA yesterday.

20 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The general feeling I’m getting from Aus is there’s not much motivation/political will to stop omicron so we are going with the model of hoping vaccinations work against it to some degree and if not it will be likely too late. 

In Vic there were 1007 cases, 3 deaths. 90% of over 12s vaxed. NSW has 150. 92% of over 16s vaxed (wish everyone would use the over 12 metric given over 12s can get vaxed. Using over 16 just seems like a way to make figures sound better)

ACT 7 cases with 97.7% of over 12s vaccinated.

we had no cases in SA yesterday.

Guess we should all move to the ACT! 

News this morning was all about caring for the health of the economy, it's the economy's turn to be looked after. 

I hate this binary way of thinking. Economies are made of people! And yes, economies also affect people. 

How the @#$& keeping masks now that Omicron is in Sydney is not a valid compromise between health/economy, I do not know. 

• Like 7

I am really hoping the FDA gets a move on and lets high risk teens be boostered. Schools are incubators, and many Southern states now have passed state laws and executive orders basically removing closing schools to prevent spread from the toolbox entirely. 16-17 yr olds mostly were able to be vaccinated in Spring (some high risk ones in Winter or early Spring), and 12-15 in Summer. They're all at or coming up to 6 months quickly-with Christmas coming and a new variant that is probably here already. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

I am really hoping the FDA gets a move on and lets high risk teens be boostered. Schools are incubators, and many Southern states now have passed state laws and executive orders basically removing closing schools to prevent spread from the toolbox entirely. 16-17 yr olds mostly were able to be vaccinated in Spring (some high risk ones in Winter or early Spring), and 12-15 in Summer. They're all at or coming up to 6 months quickly-with Christmas coming and a new variant that is probably here already. 

I hope so too. Here, high risk 16-17yo can get boosters but not younger.

6 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Yes, I am anxious about that as well. DS is very high risk, and will be 18 in Jan, so he can’t be boosted until then, but by then it will have been 10 months for him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Israel began boosting 12+ in August for anyone five months since the second dose.  I haven't heard of ill effects of a change in policy since then so I presume they aren't having big issues with side effects.  In the US 12+ can get an additional dose via self-attestation of immune compromised condition.  Some parents might "misunderstand" or interpret too broadly what constitutes immune compromised.  I think I've read that eczema and allergies are both related to immune dysfunction.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

Israel began boosting 12+ in August for anyone five months since the second dose.  I haven't heard of ill effects of a change in policy since then so I presume they aren't having big issues with side effects.  In the US 12+ can get an additional dose via self-attestation of immune compromised condition.  Some parents might "misunderstand" or interpret too broadly what constitutes immune compromised.  I think I've read that eczema and allergies are both related to immune dysfunction.

Can you please give a link to the US self-attestation? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Can you please give a link to the US self-attestation? 

It's just a box you check when you schedule at CVS or Walgreens.  Other places probably have a similar setup.  I can't really link it because you have to enter things like dob and date of last dose before you get to that part.

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

Yes, I am anxious about that as well. DS is very high risk, and will be 18 in Jan, so he can’t be boosted until then, but by then it will have been 10 months for him.

I am right there with you. We are planning a family 3rd shot birthday celebration when my high risk 17 year old turns 18 in a few weeks or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Syllieann said:

It's just a box you check when you schedule at CVS or Walgreens.  Other places probably have a similar setup.  I can't really link it because you have to enter things like dob and date of last dose before you get to that part.

Interesting. My child's specialist, the children's hospital, and the national board for that specialty have not yet suggested that the under 18's get the 3rd shot. 

• Like 1

Google translate version from here

First publication: Another cardiologist, about 70 years old, contracted from the verified cardiologist from Sheba Hospital, who is suspected of being a carrier of variant Omicron - both vaccinated with 3 doses. The first patient returned from a conference in England last Wednesday, and until he felt symptoms And visited two more conferences

Not sure on the reliability of the source - anyone with Israel connections know if they tend factual or sensational?  Being infected in spite of triple vax is worrying, if true.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Thanks 1