Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

7 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Ok, this is funny, in a macabre way. 

NSW Government, not content with reassuring parents with a study that took place when numbers were low and kids were on school holidays, has decided that ventilation aids are not evidence based. 

The Department's ventilation plan is to check windows. Sometime. Maybe in the holidays. 

Ugh 😣 

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

Ok, this is funny, in a macabre way. 

NSW Government, not content with reassuring parents with a study that took place when numbers were low and kids were on school holidays, has decided that ventilation aids are not evidence based. 

The Department's ventilation plan is to check windows. Sometime. Maybe in the holidays. 

Why? The windows might not be there because they've taken a trip to Hawaii?

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

Yeah it’s a weekend number.  But it’s still a big drop from 1500 does feel like things are moving in the right direction for now.

I guess I'm not sure what the mechanism would be for the drop? We're still at less than half the population double dosed, and restrictions are being loosened - so what's behind the drop in numbers? 

Cynically, I think the numbers will be massaged lower before opening. (I know this is conspiracy thinking, so I shouldn't think that way). 

• Like 1

Saw this article - Covid-19 has now killed as many Americans as the 1918-19 flu pandemic | Coronavirus | The Guardian 

In Australia NSW numbers are still staying lower, 1,022. Victoria has 603. ACT 16.

Don't quite understand what is happening with Victoria and construction. Sounds like a small group of antivaxers are causing trouble. Sad for the rest of them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, bookbard said:

This story from NZ kind of funny; New Zealand police arrest pair trying to enter Auckland with ‘large amount’ of KFC | New Zealand | The Guardian

But also shows that NZ less beholden to big business than Australia. Can't imagine them shutting down Maccas and KFC here!!

My kids are cracking up right now over “and an undisclosed quantity of fries.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

UK and EU citizens will be able to travel to the USA from the start of November (assuming they abide by the immigration rules, which include full vaccination with an approved jab). It sounds like OxfordAstrazeneca may become a permitted vaccine in the USA for tourists at the same time.

COVID-19 was the third-highest cause of death in England in August, although there hasn't been the huge rise in hospitalisations that was feared when a lot of the restrictions were dropped mid-July. No big rise in people avoiding hospital has been noted, either. I do wonder if a lot of the people who were having non-fatal hospital visits with COVID-19 in previous months are now tending to get cases they can care for at home instead (if so, then that would explain it due to the total number of deaths falling).

Edited by ieta_cassiopeia

14 hours ago, bookbard said:

Saw this article - Covid-19 has now killed as many Americans as the 1918-19 flu pandemic | Coronavirus | The Guardian 

In Australia NSW numbers are still staying lower, 1,022. Victoria has 603. ACT 16.

Don't quite understand what is happening with Victoria and construction. Sounds like a small group of antivaxers are causing trouble. Sad for the rest of them.

To be fair, it sounds like proportionally it's still at a third of before. I'm not downplaying the costs... it's just that I think it's relevant. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Poor Melbourne - rising Covid numbers, riots and now an earthquake! 

Hope Vic posters are all ok and no damage. 

No damage here. Boy we felt seasick though. Never had an earthquake that big before.   I was amazed how long it went on for. A few minutes.  And how loud lots of rumbling..everything rumbling. Even the trees swaying. We had to abandon schoolwork  for the morning because of all the excitement .

ds 17 work had many tools and things fall off shelving. Dd thought her house was going to fall down on her (has significant structural termite damage but rent free)

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Melissa in Australia said:

No damage here. Boy we felt seasick though. Never had an earthquake that big before.   I was amazed how long it went on for. A few minutes.  And how loud lots of rumbling..everything rumbling. Even the trees swaying. We had to abandon schoolwork  for the morning because of all the excitement .

ds 17 work had many tools and things fall off shelving. Dd thought her house was going to fall down on her (has significant structural termite damage but rent free)

Glad you didn't have any damage. DD said she thought it was a truck at first. V loud, v unexpected. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Glad you didn't have any damage. DD said she thought it was a truck at first. V loud, v unexpected. 

My ds in Melbourne thought it was an excavator that was working next door driving through his house. The noise and shaking. He said it took a few moments for him to realise it was an earthquake.

earthquakes are so rare that chances of a truck coming through a building is higher

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My ds in Melbourne thought it was an excavator that was working next door driving through his house. The noise and shaking. He said it took a few moments for him to realise it was an earthquake.

earthquakes are so rare that chances of a truck coming through a building is higher

For sure!

I told DD if there was another one, Dan would forgive her for leaving iso to go outdoors 😂

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Victoria has contracted to provide sir purification systems to all government schools + low fee Catholic and independent schools. Plus more $ for shade sails to expand outdoor learning areas. 

Have had a couple of crazy busy days so thanks so much for keeping me up to date!  So happy to see these steps being taken as I suspect they will reduce illness in general not just COVID.  I have been thinking of the number of families I know who have one or more kids sick pretty  much constantly and thinking really this is not normal.  I mean we’ve accepted it as normal but it should be. We need to make healthier living environments for our kids.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

How is NZ going these days?

Reasonably well. They are taking a calculated risk and loosening Auckland's restrictions today by just a little. It appears that the cases are contained and mostly spreading in households or through known contacts. But they are also pushing vaccines super duper hard. Auckland hit 80% today (first doses), and they are trying to get it to 90% in 2 weeks when they meet again to consider dropping Auckland down to a even lower alert level. Until today, they have avoided giving a number, but they are now saying 90%+ is what they are after. We are still managing 1.5 % of the population getting a jab every. single. day. They are reiterating that they are NOT abandoning elimination, but they think that the long tail is very long but still manageable. The cases are still restricted to Auckland city only.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Have had a couple of crazy busy days so thanks so much for keeping me up to date!  So happy to see these steps being taken as I suspect they will reduce illness in general not just COVID.  I have been thinking of the number of families I know who have one or more kids sick pretty  much constantly and thinking really this is not normal.  I mean we’ve accepted it as normal but it should be. We need to make healthier living environments for our kids.

Yes! When DS was in public highschool for a few months he was sick CONSTANTLY. All upper respiratory. Come to find out, this is a known thing at that school - teachers and kids with constant upper respiratory issues. Likely because the school backs up to a cement plant, and the hall ways are all outdoors - so constantly breathing in cement dust. 

• Sad 3

NIH announces the RECOVER study on Long Covid:
https://www.science.org/content/article/study-40-000-people-will-probe-mysteries-long-covid

"Long Covid, or what NIH calls postacute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC), can include pain, fatigue, “brain fog,” trouble sleeping, headaches, shortness of breath, fever, chronic cough, depression, and anxiety that linger or appear more than 4 weeks after an initial infection. Sometimes the symptoms are so severe that a person can’t work and struggles through daily tasks.

The Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention estimates 10% to 30% of COVID-19 patients develop Long Covid. Possible explanations include a hidden reservoir of SARS-CoV-2, a misfiring immune system, or a metabolic problem triggered by the infection, Collins said. But, he acknowledged, “We don’t know.”

NIH outlined its initial plans for a Long Covid research program in February, after Congress approved $1.15 billion over 4 years to study the condition. The program’s centerpiece study announced today, the Researching COVID to Enhance Recovery (RECOVER) Initiative, is funded with a $470 million grant to New York University (NYU) Langone Health. NYU will make subawards to more than 100 researchers at 35 institutions who will enroll patients using a common protocol.

Starting in October, the program will aim to enroll between 30,000 and 40,000 volunteers over 12 months from diverse populations in all 50 states. Although some people who already have Long Covid will be studied, the majority will have acute infections—that is, they will have just fallen sick with COVID-19, said NYU Grossman School of Medicine cardiologist Stuart Katz, the study’s principal investigator. The study will include hospitalized patients as well as those with milder COVID-19 cases—it’s not clear whether being sicker initially leads to more Long Covid.

Using electronic medical records and providing participants with wearable devices that monitor heart rates, sleep, and more, the study will compare the health of those who quickly recover with others whose symptoms persist, looking for risk factors and biological clues that may explain the different outcomes. Researchers will also explore questions such as whether getting a COVID-19 vaccination eases Long Covid symptoms, as some anecdotal reports suggest.

About one-half of those enrolled will be children, including some newborns, NIH officials hope. Even though children with COVID-19 usually have mild or no symptoms, concerns about long-term effects are growing because the number of cases in children is now “the highest it’s been throughout the entire pandemic,” Diana Bianchi, director of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, said on the Zoom call.

The study won’t itself test new treatments for Long Covid, Katz said. But its leaders will try to identify proteins or molecular processes that play a role in Long Covid and could be blocked with an existing drug. NIH hopes to find those targets within 18 months and then launch treatment trials using its remaining congressional funding for Long Covid research."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 cases for ACT.

1063 in NSW and 6 deaths

766 in Vic and 4 deaths.

73.4% single dose of vaccine.

Vic is short of Pfizer again.  They have some in reserve for second doses but can’t get confirmation about when the next lot is coming in so don’t want to use it.  According to ABC anyway. 1 testing centre is closed due to earthquake damage.

• Like 1

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

16 cases for ACT.

1063 in NSW and 6 deaths

766 in Vic and 4 deaths.

73.4% single dose of vaccine.

Vic is short of Pfizer again.  They have some in reserve for second doses but can’t get confirmation about when the next lot is coming in so don’t want to use it.  According to ABC anyway. 1 testing centre is closed due to earthquake damage.

October is meant to see disruptions to Pfizer too. 

I really wish over 60's would just go get AZ. 

Anecdotally, many of dd's uni peers have gotten AZ in the last month. They see each other getting it and doing ok, and it's building a lot of confidence in that cohort. So proud of them for biting the bullet and taking all that was available to them. 

DS has just gone out to check out a rumour the local hospital has second dose Pfizer. Because the Polish doses are spread nine weeks apart, and he will be back at work before his second scheduled dose. 

• Like 2

So, NSW Ed Department grilled today in a live stream about Covid mitigation. 

Re windows, not all schools will have been checked by Asset Management before school goes back. A check is a visual check of all windows. There is no timeline for fixing windows after observation.

There is no plan for ventilation when there is smoke from fires or back burning. We get to choose - lung damage from the smoke, or close the windows and risk Covid. 

• Sad 5

18 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I can’t read Swedish.  Anyone know if this guys take on this article is accurate?  

Google translate says this (though this doesn't answer your accuracy question):

Deaths from COVID-19 Covid-19 infection remains in special housing for the elderly in Överkalix. Of a total of 17 confirmed cases among users so far, 8 have unfortunately died. Start Press News Deceased in... Listen Covid among users and staff Since the first confirmed case on 3 September, we have had 17 users who have been found to be infected with COVID-19. Unfortunately, eight of them have died. Eleven staff in the affected operations have also been identified with COVID-19. We work closely with Smittskydd and Vårdhygien Region Norrbotten, as well as Överkalix Health Centre. We also closely follow directives on measures to prevent further spread of infection.

Regular sampling Both users and staff are regularly sampled to also find those infected who show no symptoms, thus preventing further spread of infection. Since 13 September, no new cases have been identified. Regular sampling for both users and staff will continue as recommended by healthcare hygiene as long as necessary.

Vaccinated According to the information provided by the municipality, all infected users except one must have accepted the COVID vaccine, and are double vaccinated. We know that among the staff the willingness to vaccinate has been very good, but as an employer we cannot collect information about how individual employees have chosen to do. Continued visiting restrictions The staff are doing a good job and we are doing everything we can to prevent further spread of COVID-19. We urge relatives to continue to avoid visiting our special accommodations for the elderly.

• Like 1

Does anyone else get state reporting on variants? Most of the time when I check the data, it shows a majority of cases as Delta. Today I checked and Delta accounts for 32.5% and Alpha is 28%. Iota was the only other significant number, at 12.8. I thought that was interesting and wondered what others were seeing in their neck of the woods. 

Here Delta is 99% of the variants sequenced in the past 4 weeks.

Overall, I guess since the beginning of when they started sequencing, it's 29.5%.  Which is the highest percentage but Alpha has 28.2% so not far behind.  But we were among the first hit hard in the beginning so that makes sense.

We also have 17.5% Iota.  And 20% "other variants".  

On 9/24/2021 at 9:17 AM, whitestavern said:

Google translate says this (though this doesn't answer your accuracy question):

Deaths from COVID-19 Covid-19 infection remains in special housing for the elderly in Överkalix. Of a total of 17 confirmed cases among users so far, 8 have unfortunately died. Start Press News Deceased in... Listen Covid among users and staff Since the first confirmed case on 3 September, we have had 17 users who have been found to be infected with COVID-19. Unfortunately, eight of them have died. Eleven staff in the affected operations have also been identified with COVID-19. We work closely with Smittskydd and Vårdhygien Region Norrbotten, as well as Överkalix Health Centre. We also closely follow directives on measures to prevent further spread of infection.

Regular sampling Both users and staff are regularly sampled to also find those infected who show no symptoms, thus preventing further spread of infection. Since 13 September, no new cases have been identified. Regular sampling for both users and staff will continue as recommended by healthcare hygiene as long as necessary.

Vaccinated According to the information provided by the municipality, all infected users except one must have accepted the COVID vaccine, and are double vaccinated. We know that among the staff the willingness to vaccinate has been very good, but as an employer we cannot collect information about how individual employees have chosen to do. Continued visiting restrictions The staff are doing a good job and we are doing everything we can to prevent further spread of COVID-19. We urge relatives to continue to avoid visiting our special accommodations for the elderly.

Thanks.  At least it tells me that what he was saying the article was saying is what it did say.