Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

30 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I think there won't be any additional restrictions, just the push to get vaccinated + existing settings. 

Yes, maybe some time in September we'll see some improvements. It would be nice. 

I'm thinking the borders won't open to NSW any time soon though. 

No I agree.  We’re all just desperately trying not to end up in yet another snap lockdown for now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

My sister's oldest kid had his first day of school on Monday.  By today (Thursday) over 500 students/ teachers were in isolation or quarantine.  No masks.  One vaccinated teacher caught it and exposed her whole class.  (My nephew's class at this Montessori magnet school has 40 kids and two teachers.). 

Okay, apparently I misunderstood.  500 kids across the DISTRICT are on isolation/ quarantine.  That makes more sense, since I didn't think the whole school was much bigger than that.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

My sister's oldest kid had his first day of school on Monday.  By today (Thursday) over 500 students/ teachers were in isolation or quarantine.  No masks.  One vaccinated teacher caught it and exposed her whole class.  (My nephew's class at this Montessori magnet school has 40 kids and two teachers.). 

Same thing is happening in my state. Schools with no mask mandate have 100+ students/teachers in quarantine by the end of the first week. We have no online option so those in quarantine are not able to keep up with the class. There is so much community spread there is really no way to keep covid out of the classroom. On the plus side some of those districts that do not have a mask mandate are changing their tune and instituting one immediately. It’s really the only way to have in person classes with no social distancing. One district has chosen just to eliminate quarantine requirements and contact tracing. 🙄

• Sad 11

1 hour ago, hshibley said:

Same thing is happening in my state. Schools with no mask mandate have 100+ students/teachers in quarantine by the end of the first week. We have no online option so those in quarantine are not able to keep up with the class. There is so much community spread there is really no way to keep covid out of the classroom. On the plus side some of those districts that do not have a mask mandate are changing their tune and instituting one immediately. It’s really the only way to have in person classes with no social distancing. One district has chosen just to eliminate quarantine requirements and contact tracing. 🙄

Yeah, school is going to be an absolute disaster AGAIN this fall. The poor kids are losing out on so much education. 

• Sad 5

23 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I was looking at the horror going on at the border and there are so many COVID  in the people coming across the border/

So odd, since the rate of Covid cases per 100K Texas is 4x higher than that of Mexico (and Louisiana is over 8x higher, and in FL 12x higher than Mexico, and there is not even a border there), and most of the other central American countries have rates even lower than Mexico - I would think Mexico would be more worried about people from the US coming in to Mexico.  We're the pestilent ones.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 17

8 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

So odd, since the rate of Covid cases per 100K Texas is 4x higher than that of Mexico (and Louisiana is over 8x higher, and in FL 12x higher than Mexico, and there is not even a border there), and most of the other central American countries have rates even lower than Mexico - I would think Mexico would be more worried about people from the US coming in to Mexico.  We're the pestilent ones.

Could the testing rate account for some of this? Or perhaps the people who traveled to the border might potentially have high rates due to the travel itself? 

Mexico has a cumulative testing rate of 67k/million population [worldometer] where Texas has a cumulative rate of 1.2 million tests/million population, Louisiana 1.8 million tests per million population, and Florida 1.6 mil/mil.

But, I think @TravelingChriswas referring to Australia's border based on the quoted post????

9 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Could the testing rate account for some of this? Or perhaps the people who traveled to the border might potentially have high rates due to the travel itself? 

Mexico has a cumulative testing rate of 67k/million population [worldometer] where Texas has a cumulative rate of 1.2 million tests/million population, Louisiana 1.8 million tests per million population, and Florida 1.6 mil/mil.

But, I think @TravelingChriswas referring to Australia's border based on the quoted post????

Oh, that might be... there's been so much talk lately about migrants bringing Covid into the US, my mind just went there.  Sorry if I was conflating borders!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Oh, that might be... there's been so much talk lately about migrants bringing Covid into the US, my mind just went there.  Sorry if I was conflating borders!

I think it could have been either border she was referring to since the article quoted didn't mention people crossing over in Australia. I just interpreted it that was since they (Australia) have been locking down between areas.

11 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I am fairly certain the "Horror" being referred to was the Mexican/US border.  Because politics. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

Mexico's case fatality rate is 8.25%--hopefullly that is a sign that cases are being greatly undercounted in Mexico and that the true number of cases is much higher than is being reported.

2 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Mexico's case fatality rate is 8.25%--hopefullly that is a sign that cases are being greatly undercounted in Mexico and that the true number of cases is much higher than is being reported.

Wow, that is alarming...

• Like 3

On 8/6/2021 at 8:30 AM, TexasProud said:

Yeah, school is going to be an absolute disaster AGAIN this fall. The poor kids are losing out on so much education. 

Are they really though?  They're missing school, and their parents are missing childcare, I'll give you that.  I just don't think there's anything schools teach that can't quickly be made up (for most kids) when everyone is healthy again.  Kids who learn later learn faster.

• Like 1

I'm not sure which thread to ask this in or whether to start a new one, so I randomly chose this one. My husband keeps talking about Delta Plus, a stronger (?) version of Delta, and how we need to be even more careful. I haven't heard anything about Delta Plus and there doesn't seem to be much info when I google it. Has anyone else heard what it is or other information?

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm definitely following it, but I still have no idea what this all means for my kids at playgrounds 😛 . 

What I’d take from it myself is if there’s a big playground and a couple of other kids you’re probably ok but if it looks like first day of summer holidays packed maybe best steer clear?  Worry more about dilution/concentration than indoors/outdoors. That may not be helpful for you if your playgrounds are always packed though.  Where we are five out of seven days in the week I could take my kids to an empty playground.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

What I’d take from it myself is if there’s a big playground and a couple of other kids you’re probably ok but if it looks like first day of summer holidays packed maybe best steer clear?  Worry more about dilution/concentration than indoors/outdoors. That may not be helpful for you if your playgrounds are always packed though.  Where we are five out of seven days in the week I could take my kids to an empty playground.

I don't really care about playgrounds, per se. I care about my kids playing with other kids. If there are no other kids at a playground, I'm not going to be there, because there's no point -- my kids play perfectly well at home or in an empty field. 

And if we're at a playground with other kids, they are in each other's faces. And what I'd like to know is what happens if someone we're meeting with is sick (either adult or kid), if we're outside and we're all masked. What's the chance that we catch it? And I don't know 😕 . 

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I don't really care about playgrounds, per se. I care about my kids playing with other kids. If there are no other kids at a playground, I'm not going to be there, because there's no point -- my kids play perfectly well at home or in an empty field. 

And if we're at a playground with other kids, they are in each other's faces. And what I'd like to know is what happens if someone we're meeting with is sick (either adult or kid), if we're outside and we're all masked. What's the chance that we catch it? And I don't know 😕 . 

Yep.  And that is the trouble.  It’s not really playgrounds or outdoor you’re looking for it’s just social interaction in general and it’s pretty unclear that that can be managed to 100pc safety. 

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yep.  And that is the trouble.  It’s not really playgrounds or outdoor you’re looking for it’s just social interaction in general and it’s pretty unclear that that can be managed to 100pc safety. 

I'm not super interested in 100 percent safety, because that's probably impossible 😛 . What I'd like to know is how effective my safety measures are. Are they cutting my risk down to acceptable levels? 

Edited by Not_a_Number

10 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

I'm not sure which thread to ask this in or whether to start a new one, so I randomly chose this one. My husband keeps talking about Delta Plus, a stronger (?) version of Delta, and how we need to be even more careful. I haven't heard anything about Delta Plus and there doesn't seem to be much info when I google it. Has anyone else heard what it is or other information?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/03/delta-plus-coronavirus-variant-explained/

Summary as I understand it:

more highly transmissible according to some people - the same as the Delta variant (which is already more transmissible than other variants) by other people

more resistant to treatments - esp. in the lungs. 

the vaccine seems to still provide protection against it.  I hope that you and your husband are vaccinated if possible. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm not super interested in 100 percent safety, because that's probably impossible 😛 . What I'd like to know is how effective my safety measures are. Are they cutting my risk down to acceptable levels? 

what risk level is “acceptable”?

58 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

"Delta Plus" is Delta + the K417N mutation. That particular mutation has appeared multiple times in different variants, including Beta (South Africa) and Gamma (Brazil). It has also appeared in some strains of Alpha in the UK, but doesn't seem to have had any real advantage over the original Alpha.

The K417N mutation is believed to enhance the virus's ability to bind to ACE2 receptors. However, Delta already has two different mutations that do that, and there doesn't seem to be any evidence so far that K417N provides more advantage in that area than Delta already has from the other mutations. So far, even in areas where Delta + has appeared, it's not rapidly out-competing Delta, whereas Delta does seem to out-compete every other variant wherever it appears. Delta + also doesn't appear to be more able to evade antibodies than Delta is, and I haven't seen any evidence that vaccines or previous infection are any less effective against Delta + than against Delta. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

anyone have good info on Lambda? We have it in Florida, so far looks like Delta is outcompeting it though. 

Lambda has two of the same mutations Delta has which help it bind more tightly to ACE2 receptors (the ones I bolded below), as well as a mutation that may help it evade antibodies, although that one is different (F490S) from Delta's (P681R).  

From this Live Science article:

"The variant has seven mutations in the virus's spike protein compared with the original strain of SARS-CoV-2 detected in Wuhan. Specifically, these mutations are known as G75V, T76I, del247/253, L452Q, F490S, D614G and T859N, according to the WHO.

Some of these mutations have the potential to increase transmissibility of the virus or to reduce the ability of certain antibodies to neutralize, or inactivate, the virus. For example, lambda has a mutation known as F490S located in the spike protein's receptor-binding domain (RBD), where the virus first docks onto human cells. A paper published in the July issue of the journal Genomics identified F490S as a likely "vaccine escape mutation" that could both make the virus more infectious and disrupt the ability of vaccine-generated antibodies to recognize the variant.

Right now, "there is currently no evidence that this variant causes more severe disease or renders the vaccines currently deployed any less effective," according to Public Health England."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RootAnn said:

No, I wasn't. And yesm testing accounts for it plus the horrible conditions that so many are going too of these people.  Plus they are having people from lots of countries coming.  I sw a whole group of people who were obviously not from Mexico or the Central Americ and suspect they may be Haitians that were being processed.  Haiti's last president who was assassinated recently refused to accept the vaccines that the US was trying to donate to them and I did read a report that they are the only country with zero vaccination.

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am fairly certain the "Horror" being referred to was the Mexican/US border.  Because politics. 

Nothing to do with politics since I don't think this is a major cause of hiospital problems but I sw figure released by the Border Patrol of how many people have COvid and I have heard both R and D people talk about the great hardships their sreas are having of this huge surge of people.  And someone mentioned the cases of TB-  that is an awful problem.  I have to take a yearly TB blood test because of the immnosuppressants I amon.

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Who knows, lol. I suppose I'd like the chance that we get COVID before the kid vaccines come up to stay in the single percent at most. 

It looks like NY is currently having about 2000 cases a day?  So 14,000 potentially infected people at any one time out of 20,000,000?  Then you’d have something like a 0.07 pc chance of catching it anytime you’re in an exposure zone for one person.  Outdoors it seems like it’s mainly an issue where it’s pretty up close and personal.  How many times are your kids getting up in the face of strangers at the playground?  Must admit my kids are kind of country homeschool kids and they pretty much avoid that kind of contact so again it’s hard to picture.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It looks like NY is currently having about 2000 cases a day?  So 14,000 potentially infected people at any one time out of 20,000,000?  Then you’d have something like a 0.07 pc chance of catching it anytime you’re in an exposure zone for one person.  Outdoors it seems like it’s mainly an issue where it’s pretty up close and personal.  How many times are your kids getting up in the face of strangers at the playground?  Must admit my kids are kind of country homeschool kids and they pretty much avoid that kind of contact so again it’s hard to picture.

I think that calculation assumes a much higher chance of catching it when exposed than I think there is! I think you can just say “what’s my chance of being IN that 2,000?” instead. 

But this assumes the case numbers are right, and I dunno that this is true.

• Like 1

I think there is no way of knowing how accurate testing numbers are in the US and it can vary widely by locale.  Some people are testing averse and I think some people just have very few symptoms knowing what some vaxxed people have had during allergy season and testing isn’t easy or free everywhere.   We are currently at about 12 in 100,000 according to testing.  But waste water sampling has us at 55 in 100,000.  That sampling had us as low as 2 in 100,000 earlier this summer. 

eta I do like this website for some risk assessment, tries to extrapolate data based on current numbers to a odds of someone with Covid being in a crowd of a certain size.  
https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I think there is no way of knowing how accurate testing numbers are in the US and it can vary widely by locale.  Some people are testing averse and I think some people just have very few symptoms knowing what some vaxxed people have had during allergy season and testing isn’t easy or free everywhere.   We are currently at about 12 in 100,000 according to testing.  But waste water sampling has us at 55 in 100,000.  That sampling had us as low as 2 in 100,000 earlier this summer. 

Where are you finding the waste water numbers? I wonder if there’s something like that over here…

23 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Where are you finding the waste water numbers? I wonder if there’s something like that over here…

I have just seen those in local media/sources, I would hope lots of cities are testing and watching that though?!   Our local waste water processing serves about 2 million people so it does give a nice snapshot of our metro. 

• Like 2

Has anyone heard of menstrual issues resulting from infection with the delta variant?  I was sick early July with sore throat (strep level sore), sneezing, coughing, fever and resulting upper respiratory infection, and a rash.  Nothing seemed more intense than pervious sinus/respiratory infection other than the sore throat and the rash.  Home covid test was negative. Kids had same symptoms.

However, all 4 of the indoor cats all had a snotty nose and the younger picked up a horrid cough.  The older cats picked up a runny nose and horrid cough that lasted for months after what I’m pegging as covid from last summer.  I have also been spotting/bleeding since the second week of July, and I’m not near the age to be peri-menopause yet.  I know the vaccine has caused menstrual irregularities but I hadn’t heard of the virus itself causing it.

• Sad 6

58 minutes ago, Sdel said:

Has anyone heard of menstrual issues resulting from infection with the delta variant?  I was sick early July with sore throat (strep level sore), sneezing, coughing, fever and resulting upper respiratory infection, and a rash.  Nothing seemed more intense than pervious sinus/respiratory infection other than the sore throat and the rash.  Home covid test was negative. Kids had same symptoms.

However, all 4 of the indoor cats all had a snotty nose and the younger picked up a horrid cough.  The older cats picked up a runny nose and horrid cough that lasted for months after what I’m pegging as covid from last summer.  I have also been spotting/bleeding since the second week of July, and I’m not near the age to be peri-menopause yet.  I know the vaccine has caused menstrual irregularities but I hadn’t heard of the virus itself causing it.

Yes the virus causes menstrual issues.  It's being talked about all over on the long hauler groups.   

ETA: I don't know specifically about delta. Just the original strain as thats what the long haulers like me had. 

Edited by busymama7

10 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Yes the virus causes menstrual issues.  It's being talked about all over on the long hauler groups.   

Well, if that’s the case I’ll chalk it up to having had the plague again and be glad it’s BTDT.

2 minutes ago, Sdel said:

Well, if that’s the case I’ll chalk it up to having had the plague again and be glad it’s BTDT.

It’s not necessarily that it was Covid. Any illness can potentially cause menstrual irregularities like that. Basically anything that revs up your immune system can cause it. 

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, KSera said:

Any illness can potentially cause menstrual irregularities like that. Basically anything that revs up your immune system can cause it. 

Well, I’ve never had this problem before and I’ve had worse illness.

On 8/8/2021 at 10:49 AM, Sdel said:

Well, I’ve never had this problem before and I’ve had worse illness.

Yeah, I didn't mean it always does for any particular person. I just mean that it's a potential thing that can happen anytime the immune system is at work. The body can be weird. Might have been covid, though. But also might not.

15 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

What is his deal?   Not declaring a mandate, stupid but whatever.   All these steps he's taking to ACTIVELY discourage any kind of masking, it doesn't make sense.   

It's like he's working for the alien overlords who want to invade Florida but want to weaken the population first so they can't fight back. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

What is his deal?   Not declaring a mandate, stupid but whatever.   All these steps he's taking to ACTIVELY discourage any kind of masking, it doesn't make sense.   

It's like he's working for the alien overlords who want to invade Florida but want to weaken the population first so they can't fight back. 

Pretty sure he is working for this organization https://buffy.fandom.com/wiki/Wolfram_%26_Hart

• Haha 4