Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

6 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My brother is much worse 

On his way to emergancy right now. He woke up this morning and cannot remember how to do anything

I am so sorry to hear this, sending positive thoughts that they can figure it out and get him treatment quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My brother is much worse 

On his way to emergancy right now. He woke up this morning and cannot remember how to do anything

I’m sorry, I hope they can figure out what is going on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lauraw4321 said:

I'm sorry to pop in and out of this thread, but my anxiety makes it tough. So I apologize if this has been answered.  Is there any data (not anecdata) about kids and Delta?  Our school district has tripled down that they won't be requiring masks for anyone, even elementary schools where of course the kids aren't vaccinated.  I'm in a high risk county, lowest vax rate state. I'm trying to look at the actual risk to my kids if they get Delta (which seems highly likely given the fact scenario) and whether that risk is higher than the risk of relationship harm / stress / social isolation from pulling them until they are vaxxed.  I work full time, so does DH, so pulling them will be very disruptive and they absolutely don't want to.  We'd have to hire someone and figure out curriculum.  

I think there’s no certainty yet.  At this stage it seems that it is much more transmissible but most likely not more deadly once you have caught it.  

There is a super short video summary here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My brother is much worse 

I’m so sorry!  I really hope he ends up being ok - much better to go and get it checked though as early treatment is much better. I will be keeping you in my thoughts today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My brother is much worse 

I’m so sorry to hear that.  Sending prayers. 

In my personal life I know a lot of people who have had very bad reactions to vaccines. Up till now it seemed that Wtm had been amazingly spared any of that.  

I do hope he will be okay. One person I know who had similar sounding symptoms did improve quite a lot.  

🙏

• Thanks 1

My cousin's DH is in hospital with covid.  He is 43, good health, but didn't get vaccinated because his macho-man work pals pooh-poohed the vaccine. He gave covid to both of his kids, (they are fine so far), his vaccinated wife (she felt poorly for a day, but bounced back), and the dog (!!!).  He got to the hospital with 02 of 81% and was arguing that he felt "fine" and didn't need to be admitted.  

Stupid, stupid, stupid. 

I know of 2 other people that took vacations to Florida and Vegas and came down with Covid. One was vaccinated and bounced back after feeling off for 1 day.  The other is unvaccinated and feels horrible, horrible, horrible now on day 3. 

What a mess. 

• Sad 18

Cases here were 8 for VIC worryingly including one who was traffic management at a testing centre so out in the community.

177 for NSW.  1 for QLD also worrying because the person had completed quarantine and was staying in a backpackers hostel.  There’s also a couple of ships with COVID positive cases, some of whom have been transferred on shore for medical help in WA.

• Like 4

The worldwide curve seems to be tapering a bit at this point and well below the last two waves.  Some of that may be related to reporting in the countries now experience increases but I’m taking it for a positive sign for the moment!  The deaths haven’t followed the cases up yet either.  They’ve increase but not dramatically.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

177 for NSW.  1 for QLD also worrying because the person had completed quarantine and was staying in a backpackers hostel. 

Seems like there have been several lately that have transmitted after quarantine ended. I had heard Delta transmits more quickly, but I’m wondering if this means it’s also contagious for longer? Didn’t  they find that to be the case with beta?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KSera said:

Seems like there have been several lately that have transmitted after quarantine ended. I had heard Delta transmits more quickly, but I’m wondering if this means it’s also contagious for longer? Didn’t  they find that to be the case with beta?

It’s possible.  It’s also possible that the quarantine is leaky and they are picking it up there, which seems to often be the case once they do the genomic testing.

10 hours ago, JennyD said:

The DOG got covid???!

My husband knows someone whose dog likely had Covid plus myocarditis afterward from a family member who really likes to love on the dog. I don’t have current information on the dog’s health except that is was likely to recover.

This is from the Conversation.  It is an interesting article on how the governments will need to factor in long covid to their calculations of how much a life/debilitated life will cost them, and how this might impact policy about controlling it.

https://theconversation.com/why-governments-will-have-to-consider-the-costs-of-long-covid-when-easing-pandemic-restrictions-164944

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Thank you

He is back home, discharged himself from hospital. still with the very strange headache but feels a bit better than yesterday

Did they ever determine via imaging or anything if there actually were blood clots, or is it thought now that it's just a weird headache?

1 minute ago, KSera said:

Did they ever determine via imaging or anything if there actually were blood clots, or is it thought now that it's just a weird headache?

They did bloodtests that came back as negative for blood clots, but all the symptoms of bloodclots so are treating it as if it is. 

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 6

NSW numbers keep going up. 

Guess 5 weeks of a half-hearted lockdown is barely keeping the lid on this thing. 

Dispiritingly, there's a lot of overt racism in the comments I'm reading. A lot of blaming 'it' on the Asians and the Muslims in mine and other areas. Idiots saying that our LGA's should be patrolled by the military. 

• Sad 8

18 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

NSW numbers keep going up. 

Guess 5 weeks of a half-hearted lockdown is barely keeping the lid on this thing. 

Dispiritingly, there's a lot of overt racism in the comments I'm reading. A lot of blaming 'it' on the Asians and the Muslims in mine and other areas. Idiots saying that our LGA's should be patrolled by the military. 

Eek 😬 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 cases for Vic, 2 for SA, 

NSW unfortunately at 239.  So disappointing that people are blaming individuals/races.  Gov should have responded harder and earlier.

For those following the long incubation story the case in Queensland was confirmed by genomics to link to cases on the plane flight not in hotel quarantine so is a definite case of an incubation period longer than 14 days.  I’m not sure what the testing regime is in QLD to know if it was not detectable before the 14 days was up which seems likely to be the case but pretty worrying from a hotel quarantine perspective.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

OK I read in more depth and the queensland guy contracted covid on the flight according to genomic testing but then tested negative three times over for fourteen days in quarantine.  He was released from quarantine flew to WA and back to QLD before testing positive.  It seems kind of worrying that the virus could be there that long without being detectable.

• Sad 4

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

7 cases for Vic, 2 for SA, 

NSW unfortunately at 239.  So disappointing that people are blaming individuals/races.  Gov should have responded harder and earlier.

For those following the long incubation story the case in Queensland was confirmed by genomics to link to cases on the plane flight not in hotel quarantine so is a definite case of an incubation period longer than 14 days.  I’m not sure what the testing regime is in QLD to know if it was not detectable before the 14 days was up which seems likely to be the case but pretty worrying from a hotel quarantine perspective.

This d*^% virus! The more it transmits, the more it’s going to select for this kind of thing that evades our current strategies. We’re not moving fast enough to squash this before it mutates. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, KSera said:

This d*^% virus! The more it transmits, the more it’s going to select for this kind of thing that evades our current strategies. We’re not moving fast enough to squash this before it mutates. 

Maybe eventually it'll mutate into something relatively harmless??? Fingers crossed. 

15 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

NZ has also had one case that got covid on day 17.  But this was only 1 out of the 160,000 people who have gone through quarantine. And we absolutely know this because we have had no covid in the community for 15 months (with the exception of 3 weeks in Auckland last August).

Just looks like an outlier. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lewelma said:

NZ has also had one case that got covid on day 17.  But this was only 1 out of the 160,000 people who have gone through quarantine. And we absolutely know this because we have had no covid in the community for 15 months (with the exception of 3 weeks in Auckland last August).

Just looks like an outlier. 

Yeah, I was going to say that. One does expect SOME outliers. 

• Like 1

from BNO

U.S. COVID update: Biggest one-day increase in cases since February, number in hospital continues to surge

- New cases: 88,376
- Average: 66,633 (+4,222)
- In hospital: 42,610 (+3,322)
- In ICU: 10,463 (+612)
- New deaths: 488

I have to say this forum seems to be somewhat representative; each time there’s a surge we get a handful of boardies dealing with it in their family or extended family. 😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 6

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have to say this forum seems to be somewhat representative; each time there’s a surge we get a handful of boardies dealing with it in their family or extended family. 😞 

Yes, yes it is. Previously selected samples are MUCH better than the ones self-selected later according to the quality being studied, even if the population isn't actually random. 

That's why I love the anecdata on here. 

• Like 6

For those interested in discussions round whether delta is more dangerous or not

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/coronacast/is-delta-deadlier-for-younger-people/13470692

I had a lovely big summary typed out but lost it!

From the transcript 

“What's happening here, yes, it is a bit counterintuitive. So it's not so much, at least on current data, that it's more virulent in younger people, the Delta virus seems more virulent overall, and there is a preprint, in other words a not yet peer-reviewed study from Ontario in Canada looking at virulence. And their estimates are that the Delta variant had 120% increase for hospitalisation, 287% increased likelihood of ICU admission, and 137% increased risk of death. So those are fairly significant increases in virulence. 
So we are not seeing that necessarily with hospitalisation in New South Wales, it's still about 10% which is what it has been pretty much since the beginning of the pandemic, but we are definitely seeing higher rates of ICU admission and it's probably on low numbers still too early to say about death but we are seeing significant numbers of deaths for the number of cases that we've had.”

and

“So it may be that the virus itself, particle for particle, is actually not that more virulent but the fact is that you've got a virus being produced in massive amounts in people, some people have said 1,000 times greater amounts, numbers, that you had before, and that when you catch it you are catching a walloping dose of the virus, and therefore you are more likely to get serious disease. 
So it may well be…and this is where it fits with the theory, is that it may well be, funnily enough (there's nothing funny about it) less virulent by viral particle to viral particle, but because you get it in such large doses because the body is producing more of it, it is more virulent, and that's what could be going on here.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The UK numbers are looking pretty fascinating.  Does anyone know if there’s a shift in percent positive alongside the shift in daily case numbers?

England regions are here:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-covid-positivity

This is the positivity for Scotland:

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/phs.covid.19/viz/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

image.png.2d803be37bbd733a5659b8179cacbbe3.png

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

so it looks like percentage positive has dropped suddenly at the same time as cases.  It’s such a spikey graph - will be very interesting to know what happened.  Here 90% is the magic figure that keeps getting thrown around for herd immunity so maybe UK is finally there!

• Like 1