Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

51 minutes ago, Pen said:

The explanation from the Telegraph article was (though better to read yourself than my attempt at summary) that using the word “pandemic” legally obligates countries to mobilize preparations — which preparations are costly and difficult— and can be very, very difficult for some countries to do.  And that for H1N1, which turned out not to be as bad as feared, WHO was criticized for calling it a “pandemic” too soon and bringing much cost and difficulty onto countries which turned out not to have been needed.  So apparently the word still exists, WHO can still declare it, but is seeming to try to tell countries to prepare for pandemic as best they can, but not to use a word that legally forces them to do so in particular ways that might be too costly or onerous. 

But the BBC article that was linked (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51611422) says that WHO no longer formally labels an outbreak a pandemic. On the other hand, WHO says the outbreak hasn't reached pandemic proportions, So, they are speaking out of both sides of their mouth, or in circles, whatever. "We will no longer label an outbreak a pandemic. This particular outbreak has not reached pandemic level. If it reaches pandemic level....?" What then? Because apparently they are no longer labeling outbreaks pandemic.

• Like 2

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• Melissa Louise

1 hour ago, Paige said:

Where do you all store all your pantry stockpiles? This will be a privilege issue too. Not everyone has the space to store 2 weeks-1 month of shelf stable food even if they have the money. We aren't poor, but with a family of 7, multiple pets, and a small pantry, I don't know where I'd put extra stuff. DH will think I'm crazy if I put boxes in our bedroom! We could clean out our garage to make space, but that's been on my to do list at every house we've had for the last 15 years! 

I'm lucky and have a large, walk-in pantry. To my annoyance, 2/3 of the pantry is taken up by husband's tools.  If I really needed to, I could organize the pantry better (his stuff is a mess) and we could store about 2 or 3 months of food in it.  Cleaning supplies are kept in the laundry room.  I have enough for about 3 months, excepting tp and paper towels.  They take up too much room.  If we needed to stock up on those items suddenly, I guess I'd store them in a spare closet.  

We are a family of 3 humans, 2 cats, 1 dog.  We have 2 chickens, too, but I keep their feed outside. 

Edited by MissLemon

@Paige 

I have much more limited room for things that have to stay very dry (like the kale chips I ate up).  Light weight are in boxes at the top level of shelves  in my kitchen and a couple cupboard top, hard to get to areas.  And some heavy stuff (canned soup, that wasn’t sent to basement, for example) in hard to get to lowest areas.  With the easiest to get to areas having the most daily use stuff.   It is mostly kept being used so sometimes there is more, sometimes less.  Usually I’d be letting it go low in summer, trying to push fresh foods when they are abundant, and restocking power outage supplies before our storms season, but this summer I’ll probably try to keep more well stocked.   There is a tendency for the emergency supplies to end up with things like the least liked flavors of flavored instant oatmeal though. 

I am very conscious of weight and having only light weight up high because I’d hate to be killed by my emergency food hitting me in the head in an earthquake.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Renai said:

But the BBC article that was linked (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51611422) says that WHO no longer formally labels an outbreak a pandemic. On the other hand, WHO says the outbreak hasn't reached pandemic proportions, So, they are speaking out of both sides of their mouth, or in circles, whatever. "We will no longer label an outbreak a pandemic. This particular outbreak has not reached pandemic level. If it reaches pandemic level....?" What then? Because apparently they are no longer labeling outbreaks pandemic.

No. It just says it is too early to call it that.  I think some tweets some people linked said they don’t use the term, but WHO itself doesn’t officially seem to have said that. 

What the BBC link says:

“The World Health Organization has said the world should do more to prepare for a possible coronavirus pandemic.

“The WHO said it was too early to call the outbreak a pandemic but countries should be "in a phase of preparedness".”

ah!  There was a Reuter’s article with title indicating use of word was no longer a thing—but reading article it still seems like it’s what google or reporter or headline writer said, not what WHO said (and really not even what Reuter’s wrote).  Click and see how the google blurb and article don’t really match: 

23 hours ago · The World Health Organization no longer uses the classification pandemic, but the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak remains an international emergency that is likely to spread further, a spokesman said on Monday. ... The Geneva-based WHO declared the 2009 H1N1 swine flu outbreak a ...

Edited by Pen

14 minutes ago, kand said:

And 6% if high blood pressure? I was feeling better after seeing the age charts, but I have chronic hypertension.  I wonder if those numbers are adjusted to account for age or other confounding factors. A lot of people with hypertension are going to be older or have other health problems. And I wish I knew if that was mostly controlled hypertension or uncontrolled hypertension. 

Ive started putting stuff in a storage closet under our staircase. I don’t have a lot of stuff, but I’ve been slowly getting some extra things and putting them away there, and it makes me feel better to have it. Water is the thing I’m least prepared with, but it also seems like the thing least likely to be affected by quarantine. We do live near a stream and have a lifestraw and purification tablets, so it things were ever dire, that’s our backup plan. 

The slide show re Vitamin D I linked a few pages upthread had some explanation of how the coronavirus attacks the ACE2 receptors which are part of blood pressure regulation system. 

South Korea is at 977 and 10 deaths

Iran has officially listed 15 deaths

There have been several spillover cases in Bahrain and Kuwait from Iran - they have 8 each.

US has 53 including diamond princess evacuees.

all 16 people who tested positive in Vietnam have fully recovered for some good news.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

There was an Australian who they interviewed on the four corners show last night.  I found a twitter account that’s supposed to be his.  He’s saying lots of nice things about China though.  Sounds like four corners cut that part from his interview and maybe he’s scared it’s coming back to bite him.  Either that or it’s a fake account.  

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-25/coronavirus-covid-19-what-happens-when-a-pandemic-is-declared/11998540

What should I do to prepare?

Experts say preparation, not panic, is what's needed now.

"We need to think about whether you have enough medication and essential foods such as canned foods, some pasta or food that can give us fibre, carbohydrate and protein for two weeks, if things were to interrupt the supply chain of food," Professor Mackay says.

"Don't forget to prepare for pets as well, with extra supplies of dried pet food and flea treatments in case there are shortages."

But he cautions against panic-buying supplies or hoarding food.

"We don't want to see empty shelves," he says.

"We have time to prepare now by just buying a few extra supplies each time we shop, and set it aside."

Edited by Melissa in Australia
font too big
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Paige said:

I.

Where do you all store all your pantry stockpiles? This will be a privilege issue too. Not everyone has the space to store 2 weeks-1 month of shelf stable food even if they have the money. We aren't poor, but with a family of 7, multiple pets, and a small pantry, I don't know where I'd put extra stuff. DH will think I'm crazy if I put boxes in our bedroom! We could clean out our garage to make space, but that's been on my to do list at every house we've had for the last 15 years! 

There’S a huge privilege factor.

We’re a household of 6, have been a household of 7, and may be a household of 8 if we get kinship foster approved, and we’re in 1100sf.              It took a lot of experimenting and rearranging , but I sacrificed our one and only (and large) storage closet to be a giant pantry. And I also use under my bed (with a bed skirt.)
We do have a shed, but it’s only good for non-foods.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-25/coronavirus-covid-19-what-happens-when-a-pandemic-is-declared/11998540

"We need to think about whether you have enough medication and essential foods such as canned foods, some pasta or food that can give us fibre, carbohydrate and protein for two weeks, if things were to interrupt the supply chain of food," Professor Mackay says.

"Don't forget to prepare for pets as well, with extra supplies of dried pet food and flea treatments in case there are shortages."

"We have time to prepare now by just buying a few extra supplies each time we shop, and set it aside."

If abc are writing that it’s a good idea to slowly stock up I feel slightly less crazy.  I need to remember bottled water and chicken food tomorrow.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pen said:

No. It just says it is too early to call it that.  I think some tweets some people linked said they don’t use the term, but WHO itself doesn’t officially seem to have said that. 

What the BBC link says:

“The World Health Organization has said the world should do more to prepare for a possible coronavirus pandemic.

“The WHO said it was too early to call the outbreak a pandemic but countries should be "in a phase of preparedness".”

ah!  There was a Reuter’s article with title indicating use of word was no longer a thing—but reading article it still seems like it’s what google or reporter or headline writer said, not what WHO said (and really not even what Reuter’s wrote).  Click and see how the google blurb and article don’t really match: 

23 hours ago · The World Health Organization no longer uses the classification pandemic, but the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak remains an international emergency that is likely to spread further, a spokesman said on Monday. ... The Geneva-based WHO declared the 2009 H1N1 swine flu outbreak a ...

On the BBC link, it literally says WHO no longer uses the term "pandemic:" There is another quote in the article saying WHO has already called the highest level that it can:

"But ultimately the word pandemic is just that - a word - it will not unlock more money or give the WHO new powers. It has already issued the highest warning it can, by declaring the virus a global emergency."

"What does 'pandemic' mean?

• A pandemic is the worldwide spread of a new disease
  • The H1N1 (swine flu) outbreak, which killed hundreds of thousands of people, was declared a pandemic by the WHO in 2009
  • The WHO no longer formally labels an outbreak of disease a "pandemic" but says the term may be used "colloquially"
  • Its advice to countries - to limit the infections while preparing for wider spread - remains the same"
Edited by Renai
added info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I am not saying I am right and the worst is going to happen.  I just want to be prepared if something does.  I am sure people in China didn't think this was going to happen to them 3 months ago.  The city a ghost town and people not leaving their homes.  I think people see what has happened there and don't think for a second that it could happen here.  Not will, just could. 

Sure.  I agree with you.

And also adding some of my own thoughts here:

I think preparation, as long as it isn’t panic type, is likely to help there be less disaster.

Getting vitamin D level up. 

Having stuff on hand,

Changing social behavior.  

Not doing a bunch of things that tend to rapidly pass infections. Doing a bunch of things that tend to slow an infection down.

Getting into excellent sanitation and hand washing habits.

Leaving shoes outside door.

Probably change of clothes when arriving home as well. (I’ve wondered if the idea of nice school clothes versus at home play clothes helped stop some sickness transfers in times past. And maybe hat or scarf or turban etc wearing in some times/places  also helped to keep hair less full of outside germs.) Even an outer coat that gets hung up upon arrival home could reduce some hitchhiking virus particles.  Especially if one were in crowded or many people exposed place like public transportation, church, school, hospital.  

Being careful about other elective activities that might likely result in need for medical care.  

Just as this might not be the time for unnecessary international travel, it also might not be the time for trying out one’s twelve year old’s skateboard sort of activities...   During a medical worker strike when I was a kid, injury and accident rate in the area went way down as apparently people refrained from risky activities, perhaps drove more carefully than usual, maybe at least subconsciously realizing there weren’t as many medical people to patch them up. I think behavior of society over my lifetime has gotten much more risky as people expect antibiotics or antivirals or surgery to fix nearly anything.  Not adding to caseload and already used beds as much as possible could leave facilities and staff more available to deal with Covid-19 if it hits one’s community. 

Getting ones vitamin D level up.  ... 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Renai said:

On the BBC link, it literally says WHO no longer uses the term "pandemic:" There is another quote in the article saying WHO has already called the highest level that it can:

"But ultimately the word pandemic is just that - a word - it will not unlock more money or give the WHO new powers. It has already issued the highest warning it can, by declaring the virus a global emergency."

"What does 'pandemic' mean?

• A pandemic is the worldwide spread of a new disease
  • The H1N1 (swine flu) outbreak, which killed hundreds of thousands of people, was declared a pandemic by the WHO in 2009
  • The WHO no longer formally labels an outbreak of disease a "pandemic" but says the term may be used "colloquially"
  • Its advice to countries - to limit the infections while preparing for wider spread - remains the same"

Okay. I see!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

I think behavior of society over my lifetime has gotten much more risky as people expect antibiotics or antivirals or surgery to fix nearly anything.  

That has not been my observation. At least not when it comes to children. The safety standards for children's activities and playgrounds and the non-stop supervision by adults was unheard of in my childhood. But then, society wasn't as sue-crazy... it was your own fault you fell off the monkey bars.

And safety standards for vehicles means cars are MUCH safer than 40 years ago

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 12

48 minutes ago, regentrude said:

That has not been my observation. At least not when it comes to children. The safety standards for children's activities and playgrounds and the non-stop supervision by adults was unheard of in my childhood. But then, society wasn't as sue-crazy... it was your own fault you fell off the monkey bars.

And safety standards for vehicles means cars are MUCH safer than 40 years ago

I agree that many children are more “protected” in terms of certain types of problems. (Though apparently less so in regard to staying home when sick . )  

I’m in rural area, so I probably see more of the ____ fell off tractor and ____ was in a quad accident than you do. So no doubt location makes a difference in observations. 

What I see is that many people increase riskiness to match up-ticks in safety gear.  Apparently tougher football gear -> harder hitting tactics.  Vehicle safety improvements-> faster driving. Automatic Collision controls -> more tailgating and zipping around lanes.

Children’s activities: Moves that my ice skater son can do were once considered pretty high level advanced. Now, for a boy skater pretty much “you don’t got a triple jump you don’t got nothin.”  And even with better gear, doubles and triples tend to be more risky than single jumps.  Cross country track seems to do more daredevil stuff than it did “in my day”.    Similarly, cheerleading stunts look like they have increased hugely in risk level as compared to “back in my day” when dinosaurs roamed earth.  And littler  kids are in Cheer. Little kids birthday parties which used to be maybe pin the tail on donkey or push something across floor with nose race type activities are, in city near us, for people who can afford it, seeming more likely to be at a rented gymnastics studio or rock climbing wall... 🦖  🦕 

Edited by Pen

I'm pretty sure we've lost all the money on our Europe trip. Ugh. I'm just. UGH. Luckily, nearly all of it is the plane tickets, which were extremely cheap, but still, it's a lot of $ for us. I mean, anything could happen, but it's not looking good overall, I think.

Italy had more than 60 new cases in 24 hours. In Iran, the deputy health minister discovered he had it right after a news conference about controlling it. Someone told me about a flight a relative was on from Europe yesterday that was more than half empty. People are starting to hunker down, I think.

• Sad 10

8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I'm pretty sure we've lost all the money on our Europe trip. Ugh. I'm just. UGH. Luckily, nearly all of it is the plane tickets, which were extremely cheap, but still, it's a lot of $ for us. I mean, anything could happen, but it's not looking good overall, I think.

Im sorry.

I once lost the money on plane tickets to somewhere that was having a hurricane.  It was a lot of $$ for me too, and a trip I’d been looking forward to, and it sucked. But so would have running into troubles due to storm. 

I think besides possibly getting sick or becoming a carrier of sickness, people traveling might also start needing to consider if they can afford and manage getting stuck away from home during a Lock down even if personally they are fine. Plus things like getting cleaned up well after being in public place may be harder when traveling.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Italy had more than 60 new cases in 24 hours. In Iran, the deputy health minister discovered he had it right after a news conference about controlling it. Someone told me about a flight a relative was on from Europe yesterday that was more than half empty. People are starting to hunker down, I think.

Take a look at the terms and conditions as you might be able to get some of the taxes and fees refunded after you miss the flight.  That said sometimes the airline charges a processing fee that is too much to bother with the forms.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

That is what I am doing.  Although I admit I will be going into a larger scale of it and getting a full supply of everything we need for 2-4 weeks.  

40 minutes ago, Farrar said:

That sucks. Do you have trip insurance on it?   Will it cover something like this?  Are you going in April?  Maybe things will be different by then.   Or are you making the choice now based on everything going on?

I am getting worried about summer too, fellow dance mom.  What will happen if the kids can't go to their dance intensives?  Do we just eat the money?

Edited by mommyoffive

16 minutes ago, Pen said:

Im sorry.

I once lost the money on plane tickets to somewhere that was having a hurricane.  It was a lot of $$ for me too, and a trip I’d been looking forward to, and it sucked. But so would have running into troubles due to storm. 

I think besides possibly getting sick or becoming a carrier of sickness, people traveling might also start needing to consider if they can afford and manage getting stuck away from home during a Lock down even if personally they are fine. Plus things like getting cleaned up well after being in public place may be harder when traveling.  

Exactly.  What are the % of getting the virus during travel?  Probably low.  But look at all the things that are happening of ships getting stuck, towns going in lock down.  What if that happened to you?  Could you be gone from work that long?  Your family?  Your home?  Your pets? 

• Like 1

My daughter's lab partner was supposed to go on a family trip to Italy for spring break and they are canceling the trip.  My son and his girlfriend have a trip planned to Spain in two months and I don't know if they will end up going.  

@Farrar I am sorry about your trip!  That is so disappointing.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Paige said:

I've avoided sprouts because I've read that they are difficult to clean and often lead to food poisoning. Is that risk only when buying store bought?

The higher fatality rates in Iran and Italy may also be related to who is infected and where the local patient 0 went. If it's an elderly person walking around his retirement community, for instance, it would be much different than if it were a college student going back to class. The numbers in both countries are so small anyway, that no reasonable estimates of risk for a larger population can be made.

We are a family of 7 with a dog. 

We have a walk in pantry that we can store a lot.  We have lots of room in kitchen cabinets.  We could organize the fridge and freezer to have food for at least 3 weeks if not longer.  And we don't have extra fridges or freezers.   We could store things in the garage or the basement.  

But I think if you didn't have that space, you could do under beds.  

I naturally a person that loves a stockpile of food and supplies in my house, so I don't have to run out for one thing that someone needs.   But I am trying to build it up of everything we would need for 2 weeks or more.  Personal supplies, food, water.   I don't think the water would be an issue.  But I could see the food and personal supplies being one if that was to happen here. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

That sucks. Do you have trip insurance on it?   Will it cover something like this?  Are you going in April?  Maybe things will be different by then.   Or are you making the choice now based on everything going on?

I am getting worried about summer too, fellow dance mom.  What will happen if the kids can't go to their dance intensives?  Do we just eat the money?

No trip insurance, but I've read on multiple sites that trip insurance does not cover this anyway. And yeah, in April, so there's no use doing much now. We'll see.

I'm also getting nervous about my kid going to San Francisco in June, yeah. And yeah, that would be an even bigger amount for us to eat. UGH.

38 minutes ago, Farrar said:

No trip insurance, but I've read on multiple sites that trip insurance does not cover this anyway. And yeah, in April, so there's no use doing much now. We'll see.

I'm also getting nervous about my kid going to San Francisco in June, yeah. And yeah, that would be an even bigger amount for us to eat. UGH.

I read that if you bought trip insurance for a trip it would cover it, but some that you have on just a credit card will not.      If we had to eat SI expenses it would be horrible for us.   

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I read that if you bought trip insurance for a trip it would cover it, but some that you have on just a credit card will not.    

I hope so.  Dd19 is planning to go on a study program in Berlin next summer, and wants to buy plane tickets soon!  We are definitely buying the extra trip insurance on those tickets!!

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

I hope so.  Dd19 is planning to go on a study program in Berlin next summer, and wants to buy plane tickets soon!  We are definitely buying the extra trip insurance on those tickets!!

Make sure to read all the fine print.

I am wondering if Elderberry would be helpful to have on hand for this? 

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Make sure to read all the fine print.

I am wondering if Elderberry would be helpful to have on hand for this? 

Personally, yes, I believe so. Elderberry is a strong antiviral, proven against influenza but suspected against other viruses as well. HOWEVER Covid-19 has some indications that it causes cytokine storm. Since Elderberry is also an immune stimulant, the combination could be bad.

I am using it as a preventative. Since we know it keeps influenza from replicating, I'm hoping the same is true for coronavirus. I'm also planning for frequent doses (every 2-3 hours) the first few days of being sick. If whoever is not better after a couple days, or if they get worse at any point, I plan on discontinuing the elderberry.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

There are different types of trip insurance and it's available 3rd party. My MIL cancelled a trip once because she decided it would be inconvenient and wanted to go later in the year and it was 100% covered. I know she pays a lot for that kind of insurance.

Right.  That is the kind that I think will cover this. 

• Like 1

An update:  DH came home yesterday.  I got him to change and shower as soon as he came home.  All clothes went into hot water laundry/dryer.  Unlike the flight going to Japan (1/3 full, usually full) the flight back was full, but full of foreigners (we called them fly-jin, a riff off of gai-jin (foreigner in Japanese) during the 3/11 disaster).  I'm monitoring his temps twice a day.

We're supposed to go to Bermuda next week.  Their gov't is supposedly looking out for high risk entrants.  They update on Thursdays so we'll see what they say then.  Hope he doesn't get sick and we don't get turned away.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Desperate to stop virus’ spread, countries limit travel

The above article by AP seems to be a very good summary update. I included a few quotes and my thoughts, for whatever it's worth.

The crisis pushed into areas seen as among the worst-equipped to deal with an outbreak as well as some of the world’s richest nations, including South Korea and Italy. As it proliferates, the virus is bringing a sense of urgency for local officials determined to contain it but often unsure how. [Isn't this where the WHO is supposed to be helping? To help contain and to educate officials on what to do?]

Korean Air said one of its crew members tested positive, but the airline didn’t disclose the flights the employee had worked on. On a U.S. military base in Daegu, the center of infections in South Korea, officials said the spouse of a late service member had also been infected. [I wish I had more information about this situation. Did the spouse die from the virus? I thought the center of infections in SK was a church? --they do say later in the article that the church "has the biggest cluster of infections."] And in the tiny Persian Gulf nation of Bahrain, one of those infected was a school bus driver who had transported students as recently as Sunday. [Thankfully, this virus seems to be much less a concern in children!]

Also testing positive was the head of Iran’s virus task force, who just a day earlier gave a news conference in Tehran in which he tried to minimize the danger posed by the outbreak. [Ah, the irony!]

Two neighbors of Italy — Croatia and Austria — reported their first cases of the virus. And an Italian doctor staying at a hotel in the Canary Islands tested positive for the virus, prompting the quarantine of hundreds of guests. [This is one of the scary things to me, it APPEARS that the doctor came from Italy before things blew up there, so no one was testing. Since this can be spread asymptomatically, the virus spread beyond the outbreak area (in this case, northern Italy.]

Even in places where no cases have sprouted up, leaders kept a wary eye, such as Denmark, where two former military barracks were being prepared as quarantine centers. Still, uncertainty remained about how to effectively limit the epidemic.

Italy had taken Europe’s most stringent preventative measures against COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, and yet became home to the biggest outbreak outside Asia. [No words, just 😲Experts in Japan, with one of the world’s most sophisticated health systems, acknowledged the country’s handling of the virus-stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship was flawed and could have allowed the problem to magnify. [Ah, hindsight.]

In comments reflecting both defiance and dubiousness over what measures work, French health minister Olivier Veran said the country would not shut its border or call off mass gatherings.

“We don’t close borders because we would not be able to, we don’t do it because it would be meaningless,” he said on French radio RTL. “Should we ban gatherings? Should we stop the Fashion Week? Should we suspend matches? Should we close universities? The answer is no.” [It sounds like they're saying they don't know what to do, so they're just not going to do anything???]

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

So much for KonMari minimalist approach.  😁. No , actually, I think being able to get through a two week quarantine will spark more joy in the circumstances than not being able to.  And more serenity 

I am a huge Konmarie fan, but I refer to myself as a simplist, not a minimalist. 4 kids, homeschoolers, broke. We have a lot of things, including 9 years of hand-me-downs, but no more than what we'll actually use.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I see online talk of people getting six months of rice and beans, etc. I think 1. It’s going to be impossible to wait this virus out if it’s endemic from here on out and 2. The last thing I want to do when sick is cook beans and eat them.

My kids know how to use the rice cooker since oldest was 8, so it’s a convenient staple to have for us. Kids can just empty a pack of frozen minced meat to make minced meat congee using the rice cooker porridge setting.  My husband loves Heinz baked beans  and those don’t need cooking. 

23 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I think it is also wise to ask yourself what you would need if you got really sick for a few weeks. Do you have the OTC meds, easy to prepare foods, etc. to get by?

I see online talk of people getting six months of rice and beans, etc. I think 1. It’s going to be impossible to wait this virus out if it’s endemic from here on out and 2. The last thing I want to do when sick is cook beans and eat them.

But what if you aren't sick but there's nothing left on the shelves of your local grocery store because the food supply chain is shut down?  I'd rather put together rice, beans, and anything else I have in the house than let my kids be hungry.  I'm sure I could survive 6 months without food but my skinny kids probably wouldn't last 60 days.

10 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My kids know how to use the rice cooker since oldest was 8, so it’s a convenient staple to have for us. Kids can just empty a pack of frozen minced meat to make minced meat congee using the rice cooker porridge setting.  My husband loves Heinz baked beans  and those don’t need cooking. 

Yeah, filling our giant rice cooker and dumping dry beans in our instant pot are one of my lazy autopilot meals.

For what it's worth, Sam's here has 50 lbs of pintos for $25. We get rice by the 100 lb bag at the restaurant supply store for about $30. Most people aren't feeding as many people as we are, but that just means it would last longer for most families. It's a pretty cheap back up plan to have on hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In case people haven't seen this article (didn't read through the pages to see if it had been linked) https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/ 

Lipsitch predicts that, within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically, this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses. “It’s likely that many will have mild disease, or may be asymptomatic,” he said. As with influenza, which is often life-threatening to people with chronic health conditions and of older age, most cases pass without medical care. (Overall, around 14 percent of people with influenza have no symptoms.)

40-70% worldwide is huge.  I'm not sure hiding from it (trying to prevent exposure) is going to be an effective strategy.  If it is that contagious, it seems exposure is ultimately inevitable.

I actually think laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, soap, toilet paper are things I would want to make sure I had enough of for a few weeks on top of basic food supplies in case you feel too sick to go out shopping. 

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

In case people haven't seen this article (didn't read through the pages to see if it had been linked) https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/ 

40-70% worldwide is huge.  I'm not sure hiding from it (trying to prevent getting it) is going to be an effective strategy.  If it is that contagious, it seems exposure is ultimately inevitable.

I actually think laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, soap, toilet paper are things I would want to make sure I had enough of for a few weeks on top of basic food supplies in case you feel too sick to go out shopping. 

Don't forget tampons and sanitary pads. I so do not want to have to improvise for THAT!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1