Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

We are in TX, a friend got Pfizer first dose in a pharmacy, the second dose offered was Moderna. Heard something about vaccine second shots in short supply. According to some reports the US is sitting on a huge stockpile, so I do not know what is true at this point.

I saw a video about India today. I have been avoiding seeing anything so far.  People are desperate to save their dying relatives, offer comfort they are uncaring about their own safety Ieaning over them maskless. People are literally stumbling out of private for hire vehicles and falling down. It is too graphic to describe and these are the people with access to good hospitals because they have money.  They will not sit on the sidewalk on a normal day because it is so dirty, now they are dying on it. I shudder to think about the poor with no money and access to only a government hospital where on a good day it is hit or miss. 

Thank you for praying especially @TCB@MissLemon and @Harriet Vane. I appreciate so much the community I found here. 

Thank you for your kindness. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 19
  • Replies 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• Corraleno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DS got home 3 hours ago!  ❤️❤️

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

Thought I'd post a pic of my dd, getting ready to spend another day in a coronavirus triage tent!  

Two sides of the same coin.

https://www.indiatoday.in/coronavirus-outbreak/story/agra-woman-resuscitating-dying-covid-positive-husband-breathing-into-mouth-heartbreaking-pictures-1795068-2021-04-26?utm_source=rss

😭

I want to document the stories of the brave and selfless people in India who risk their own lives to save their loved ones. This is one heart breaking story among countless that is going on every day.

Meanwhile

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/26/tech/twitter-covid-india-modi-facebook/index.html

:angry:

Please remember India and send your good thoughts and prayers. I do not know if it works, but I feel helpless and desperate yet grateful my family and friends are ok so far. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 16

We have a stay on any international flights into my state for three days.  Flights from India have been stopped from coming into the country at all.  There’s talk of aid being sent - ventilators etc that are not in use.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

We have a stay on any international flights into my state for three days.  Flights from India have been stopped from coming into the country at all.  There’s talk of aid being sent - ventilators etc that are not in use.

Disapionting to hear about all the people who have been defying the closed borders and travelling overseas to countries like India then raising a big fuss when they realise they cannot come back so easily. 

Glad they have temperary closed the borders completely

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Two more deaths in Australia after the A-Z vaccine. 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/29/australia-two-nsw-men-die-after-receiving-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine

My MIL was sent to hospital after the nursing home vaccinated everyone yesterday - she's very ill (but she has late stage cancer so it may be chance? They aren't telling us much except that it may be last days.) 

After several quarantine breaches Victoria is planning on building a bespoke quarantine facility. I feel like it shows most of us thought that this sort of thing wouldn't be needed a year ago - I wonder why, why did we think it would be over so soon?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-29/victoria-identfies-melbourne-site-for-quarantine-facility/100103308

Edited by bookbard
add link
  • Sad 12

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/534ffca6-a86a-11eb-b000-cc13f23b4eff?shareToken=d91036446b85bb31feba4a7fad9afd60

The areas of Scotland each comprise roughly 4,200 people -

'More than four million people in Scotland live in areas that are recording virtually no new cases of Covid-19, analysis by The Times has shown.

Five out of six people live in areas where a maximum of two infections were reported during the most recent week for which data is available.'

60 per cent of the adult population also has antibodies, either from previous infections or vaccination.  Travel between different areas of Scotland has just been opened, plus other loosening,  so I have my fingers crossed. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, bookbard said:

Two more deaths in Australia after the A-Z vaccine. 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/29/australia-two-nsw-men-die-after-receiving-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine

My MIL was sent to hospital after the nursing home vaccinated everyone yesterday - she's very ill (but she has late stage cancer so it may be chance? They aren't telling us much except that it may be last days.) 

After several quarantine breaches Victoria is planning on building a bespoke quarantine facility. I feel like it shows most of us thought that this sort of thing wouldn't be needed a year ago - I wonder why, why did we think it would be over so soon?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-29/victoria-identfies-melbourne-site-for-quarantine-facility/100103308

😞 

I’m so sorry to hear about your mother in law 

Situation in India

Count

They are massively undercounting both deaths and cases if you ask me. But as of now the official count is 18.7 million plus and deaths have topped 200,000. According to the WHO India accounted for 38% of all global cases last week.

Help

Help is arriving from many countries. The initial American aid package arrived via US Air Force cargo plane which includes cylinders of oxygen that can be refilled, oxygen concentrators (not sure what these are) and multiple large scale oxygen generators. These are precious because people are dying of no oxygen. They are also sending something like 20k doses of remdesivir which is an irony because those are manufactured in India. UK has sent ventilators and other supplies. I am not very sure about this, I am trying to find out for sure but the treatment they are using from people in my family who are doctors and also some who were admitted in hospital and were cured and are at home now before the situation got worse.

Vaccines

The vaccine situation is confusing. The media stories in the US is they ran out of vaccines which was true and in some mass vaccinations sites that is certainly true. But I think it is dependent on states.

Positive

What I am seeing in my own circle is people who were waiting for the second dose of both Covaxin (India developed) and Covishield (local name for Astra Zeneca) got it within the last 3 days without doing much of hunting. They did not even register as far as I know. I know of people who were not eligible for the vaccine the first round get first shots too. My hometown twitter had reports of vaccination amounting to 25k yesterday. 

Negative

I am not sure about these numbers, but I read somewhere only 9% of the population have the first or second shot. They are vaccinating or were at the rate of 2.5 million a day which means per some reports only 30% of the population will be vaccinated by end of 2021. I think it will ramp up massively, it should. I read a while back the Serum Institute, the largest manufacturer of vaccines in the world had monetary issues and was asking help from the government, but seems to have stabilized. The good thing is India has a really good vaccine infrastructure that works  well even in rural and tribal areas. Vaccination is mandatory and they will come to you in many cases.

Travel

The US finally restricted travel from India starting Tuesday which is a little late. Many countries have either banned or restricted. 

The biggest positive is that both vaccines the Indian vaccine and Astra Zeneca have been proven to work against the Indian mutation which is a double one. There is supposed to be a triple one they are seeing in some states.

The situation is still bad, they are literally running out of wood to burn people and asking forest service for help. The judiciary is working full time to see that price gouging is not there, oxygen is not diverted and various other issues as hospitals are filing cases.

There are lockdowns full and partial depending on state and days of the week.

My family is ok, pretty much all people in my parent's generation are vaccinated both doses which makes it easier to breathe. We are trying our utmost to see others in our generation are.

Please remember India in your prayers and send your good thoughts. 

Edited by Dreamergal
Clarity
  • Like 3
  • Sad 11

Another grim update from India.

The count per day of new cases reached 400,000 for the first time.  Undercounted probably because they just cannot now . How much higher can it go ?? 😢

India's daily COVID-19 cases pass 400,000 as second wave worsens | Reuters

The official death count is a little over 200k last I checked. I was watching CBS news report yesterday on youtube and an epidemiologist said it could be 6 times that which takes it to above a million. I just cannot even go there. My mind just fractures. 

Meanwhile the government is insisting there is oxygen for all in the Supreme Court and also state officials are battling people on social media for posting about COVID. This is in a democracy. The Supreme Court has stepped in for everything from social media clampdown to vaccines and oxygen. 

Coronavirus: No Clampdown On Info, Supreme Court Warns In Big Covid Hearing: 10 Points (ndtv.com)

The people of India have always taken care of their own and do their small acts of charity every single day that sustains the country.  Religious organizations are a big part of it and now they have stepped up everything from oxygen to food.

The medical community, the ambulance workers, the grave diggers and the crematorium workers who work round the clock in the service of the living and the dead even when the system is buckling need all the thanks and praise one can offer.

There are a lot of horrible stories, everything from a hospital burning to families committing suicide. 

The one good thing I can say for sure is vaccines are trickling in but they are available. 

Please remember India in your prayers and send good thoughts. Today is a new month, I hope and pray that the numbers will go down soon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 13
6 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

The count per day of new cases reached 400,000 for the first time.  Undercounted probably because they just cannot now . How much higher can it go ?? 😢

Yes. I heard a very eloquent journalist speaking from India on NPR today. She said that lots of places just don't have tests available, so the official case count may be 20 times the official count. 😞

• Sad 2

India update.

I am really not a numbers person and the numbers are vastly undercounted both daily cases and deaths. The stage of blaming this on incompetence is long past, they just cannot do it and more so testing supplies are in short supply. Still we must start somewhere so while yesterday the media reported 400,000 cases daily crossed which was a big number, still climbing. The daily deaths are in the 3000 plus range. But these are far more than numbers, these are precious lives.

The number that puts the horror in perspective is the 14 day % change which is 82% increase in daily cases and around 195% increase in deaths. It is even more horrifying when pretty much everyone who is not lying and interested in downplaying this agrees it is vastly undercounted and not just by a few hundreds of thousands, but many times that. 

One of the reasons this happened was this is election season and the current leader was intent on winning a prize state in the East. So he campaigned maskless, aggressively, marveling at the crowds gathered. Campaign rallies in India are people jammed against each other, not even an inch apart. So obviously no social distancing. Well, that state was lost. I do not have nice words to say so I better not say anything and get kicked out of here. 

Lastly, the vaccine situation. I know for a fact that vaccines are there, people are getting vaccinated, I know people who are every day. They are not vaccine hunting, I see charts by state of vaccines distributed. But there is this confusing stat that only 1.9% of the whole country has two doses. In a country of a billion plus people that is not a lot, but what is confusing is when my parents took the first shot which was in March if I remember correctly, they were saying 24 million were vaccinated. They had the second shot in 4 weeks. The government moved back the recommended time between two doses to 4 to 6 weeks after the Astra Zeneca blood clot issues. Then it was said they ran out of vaccines. I know people who had to wait for the second shot past the recommended 4 weeks because of no vaccine availability. But they have all been vaccinated fully in the last 5 days. So either my circle is extraordinarily vaccinated which seems impossible to me or I hope they are undercounting the number of people who had the second dose which is a glimmer of hope to me.

On a personal note,  I have been thinking a lot about my grandparents this past week. They grew up in the shadow of TB, lost siblings, raised nieces and nephews with their own kids and being partially responsible for others because they were orphaned or lost a mother and their father's never recovered to lead any sort of normal life. It influenced their whole lives from the way they cleaned to how they were always focused on immunity and healthy eating. They absolutely insisted on vaccines for us. They lived during pre-independence era.

I just never thought in my lifetime with all the advances with medical technology, there will be a generation of children growing up without a parent or both because they died due to a disease. Young and fit people are dying, not just the old, obese or those with pre-existing conditions, those who society deems already dying in some way or disposable. We are yet to see the full horror of this.

The last time people died in huge numbers was partition (when Pakistan was created) , 1947 and it was genocide. It caused generational grief. Even though this is not the same, the pain is no less. My heart breaks for the children who are going through this for this is something which will define a generation. I hope and pray they do not carry the scars for a lifetime like my grandparents did.

Please pray for India and send your good thoughts. Thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 24
Posted (edited)

https://academic.oup.com/ofid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ofid/ofab217/6257145

the longest known Covid case - 8months in a patient with mantle cell lymphoma 

Results

SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR on nasopharyngeal swabs samples remained positive for 268 days. All five performed viral cultures were positive and genomic analysis confirmed a persistent infection with the same strain. Viremia resulted positive in three out of four COVID-19 clinical relapses and cleared each time after remdesivir treatment. T and NK cells dynamic was different in aviremic and viremic samples and no SARS-CoV-2 specific antibodies were detected throughout the disease course.

Conclusions

In our patient, SARS-CoV-2 persisted with proven infectivity for over eight months. Viremia was associated with COVID-19 relapses and remdesivir treatment was effective in viremia clearance and symptoms remission, although it was unable to clear the virus from the upper respiratory airways. During the viremic phase, we observed a low frequency of terminal effector CD8+ T lymphocytes in peripheral blood that are probably recruited in inflammatory tissue for viral eradication. In addition we found a high level of NK cells repertoire perturbation with a relevant involvement during SARS-CoV-2 viremia.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 4

Another day, another grim update from India.

Cases increasing, deaths increasing. Massively undercounted because there are people dying at home. The peak is not yet reached because in April they predicted the peak at 500,000 cases a day and 5000 deaths. The worst is yet to come. How much ? How long ? 😭.

If these numbers are grim, the one that gives hope is the steady increase in vaccination.

A lot of people are having their first dose. Around 120 million plus but in a country of 1.3 billion, drop in the bucket.

Delhi which is one of the most affected has called the army for help because of distribution issues.

India Covid pandemic: Delhi calls for army help amid crisis - BBC News

Dr. Sanjay Gupta of CNN's uncle is one of the many who died in Delhi.

Usually in India money and/or fame usually insulates people from a lot of things. Except COVID. Everyone from doctors, a journalist, an actress. a lawyer who appeared on TV have died.  

There is so much suffering. The individual stories are just heart breaking. 

India Covid-19: The hospital in New Delhi so bad patients want to get out - CNN

But though the horrible stories and statistics keep piling so do the stories of brave, selfless people, both family members and medical staff, the ambulance drivers, the crematoriums and grave diggers in the service of the living and dead.

Please remember India in prayers and send your good thoughts. Thank you.

• Like 4
  • Sad 13
Posted (edited)

Cautious optimism in Ontario today.  Our case numbers have been falling, and finally our ICU numbers seem to have stopped rising - they fallen by a little itty bit for 2 days in a row (900 two days ago, 889 today).

Edited ;  900 not 9002 - quite different numbers!

Edited by wathe
  • Like 20
Posted (edited)

I have been in contact with missionaries in the UK who then shared with me a church in Middlesex who is supporting South Asian Concerns “KCH oxygen appeal”. They are helping a hospital in Kachhwa (near Varanasi). The goal is to purchase one oxygen generating machine and 3 ventilators. It’s very easy to donate. I’ll delete if this isn’t allowed. 

eta: after reading @Dreamergalposts, the church I linked is having a time of corporate prayer for India Tues May 5 at 7:45 pm local time. There is a zoom link, but I will just set aside time to pray.

New Life Suwarta Sangat

https://southasianconcern.org/oxygen-for-india/

https://account.stewardship.org.uk/donation/oneoff/covid19_appeal

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2
On 5/1/2021 at 10:29 PM, KSera said:

So much this:

😥

THiS!!!!! We have so many that want to wait until the accident to buckle their seatbelts. 

• Like 2

India update.

I am terrified I am wrong about this and yet elated. I have checked and double checked this in multiple sources of different countries, but cases seem to be falling from the all time high of 400,000. They are trending downward. 

I am so scared to be hopeful but yet based on the numbers they are falling. Bearing in mind they are massively undercounting, it is still a small pinprick of hope in a long, dark tunnel.

Count is 350s range for daily cases and low 3000s daily deaths. 

The biggest indicator is the 14 day stats which is 62% increase of cases and 159% increase of death rate. Though these are huge, scary numbers on Sunday it was 82% increase in cases and 195% increase in death. They are trending downward.

I have only skimmed the numbers, I do not go into detail for I cannot do it on a daily basis for my own emotional health for these are people, not statistics. But I cannot step away completely too. So here is the latest.

It could go up when they do a proper count, I do not know but as of now,  there is a tiny glimmer of hope I think and I am holding on to it.

India Coronavirus Map and Case Count - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Thank you for praying and your good thoughts. Please continue to do so.

• Like 19

Wrote a longer post, internet ate it.

Today's update of India.

1. Daily cases and deaths up though per the nytimes daily count, 14 day change keeps slowly decreasing. 

India Coronavirus Map and Case Count - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

2.  A new cocktail of drugs is being approved.

India approves Roche/Regeneron antibody cocktail to treat COVID-19 | Reuters

Situation grim. 

Please remember India in your prayers and send your good thoughts. Thank you.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4
10 minutes ago, KSera said:

A coworker just lost a cousin in his thirties to Covid in India 😔

I don't think there is a person in India or among the diaspora who does not know someone who died of COVID in their family or friends circle. 😢

I included this article in the post the internet ate. It says more eloquently than I ever could about grief. 

Opinion | Covid-19 is spreading grief across India. My family was no exception. - The Washington Post

• Sad 12
5 hours ago, KSera said:

A coworker just lost a cousin in his thirties to Covid in India 😔

My husband's employer has an office in India. What the workers there are describing is almost apocalyptic.  

• Sad 12

5 new cases of clotting in Australia this week on astra Zeneca including one in a 66 and one in a 71 year old.

The wife of the man who test positive in NSW has now also tested positive.

• Sad 5
11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

5 new cases of clotting in Australia this week on astra Zeneca including one in a 66 and one in a 71 year old.

The wife of the man who test positive in NSW has now also tested positive.

What were their outcomes? Does awareness seem to be helping with early and better treatment?

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, KSera said:

What were their outcomes? Does awareness seem to be helping with early and better treatment?

awareness is making the population jittery about being vaccinated. especially as the chance of getting covid are very remote. Many people would prefer the borders to remain closed and have no vaccine .

• Like 2
2 hours ago, KSera said:

Of the latest 5 cases one has been mentioned as being in intensive care and one in a stable condition in hospital. The lack of medical status of the other 3 would imply they are doing okay.

A Melissa said it is certainly increasing vaccine hesitancy but I feel like most of it is confined to that particular vaccine. Most people I know would be more than happy to get the Pfizer but we have a very limited supply of that so it is only going to high priority under 50s at the moment.

• Like 2

Does anyone know what % have long covid vs % with complications from other viruses? Is it about the same? 

• Like 1

India update. Really bad day.

Daily case counts 412k and above. Daily deaths 3980. Again massively undercounted. This is the second day it reached 400k and above in daily cases. It does seem to ebb and flow or they are not getting proper count from certain regions and then dumping the numbers together. These are people, not statistics so anything like an ebb and flow is a good thing than a constant increase or I am grasping at straws to hope I am not certain. 

Another hope is the steady increase in vaccinations though access to vaccines is again restricted to those who can read, write, have access to internet because they expect you to register and in a country of many uneducated people that creates inequality. 

In the middle of all, we need to remember the good and it comes in the form of ordinary heroes. Here is the story of one such person.

Covid Hero of the Day from Agra: Nina Muniyal feeds 100 patients daily - Lifestyle News (indiatoday.in)

Please pray for India and send your kind thoughts. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 16
8 hours ago, Plum said:

Does anyone know what % have long covid vs % with complications from other viruses? Is it about the same? 

Complicated question. I am seeing comparative papers, like this one https://royalsociety.org/blog/2021/02/what-do-we-know-about-long-covid/ but not studies. Comparisons are being made more to chronic fatigue and EBV than to influenza and the like in that it seems to be longer in duration and more inflammation related than just post viral damage in the lungs with, say, influenza.

• Thanks 1

Back to restrictions and mask wearing in Sydney - just before Mother's Day. Last time it was just before Christmas! My BIL was going to visit us from interstate but isn't going to risk it now. I'm hoping this will remind people how quickly things can change around covid. Vaccination is definitely ramping up here, I know a number of people (elderly or medical people) who have been vaccinated with either A-Z or Pfizer. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

In the middle of all, we need to remember the good and it comes in the form of ordinary heroes. Here is the story of one such person.

Covid Hero of the Day from Agra: Nina Muniyal feeds 100 patients daily - Lifestyle News (indiatoday.in)

Please pray for India and send your kind thoughts. Thank you.

Thanks for sharing this. That’s a hero. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BNO:

Public Health England upgrades B.1.617.2, the coronavirus variant first found in India, to a Variant of Concern, saying it's "at least as transmissible" as the UK variant

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The Salem Oregon based The Peoples Church, which sued the state to continue holding packed indoor services w/o masking, is now the epicenter of a Covid outreach that has sickened at least 74 people.

Executive pastor Tom Murray says, “we are concerned about the covid-19 surge in Oregon.” 

Meanwhile, the church plans to continue continue with in-person ceremonies with unmasked congregants packed shoulder to shoulder.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/05/07/oregon-peoples-church-covid-outbreak/

Bill

• Sad 7
Posted (edited)

India update. 

Another day, another dreadful day.

But I am determined to see and hold on to any tiny glimmer of change in the trajectory downward. With that end, yesterday was 421k, today it is 414k plus daily new cases. It matters, even if it is still 400K plus it matters that it is not as bad as yesterday even a tiny little bit because these are people, not statistics. Even though the count is horrendous, it is still a tiny bit better than yesterday and I am holding on to that. It is still massively undercounted though and so are the deaths which are 3915 today. Precious people who had loved ones

.India Coronavirus Map and Case Count - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Young, old, fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, rich, poor. Some died without getting medical help because the system was collapsing, without oxygen. This is what this terrible disease does.

One other thing that is like a light that shines through a hole, steadily growing bigger as you walk towards it through a long, dark tunnel of misery is the number of vaccinations. Steadily ticking up. Slowly and it is an upward trajectory, no ebb and flow there. 

As always it is the ordinary people with their individual and small acts of kindness that make a difference even though politicians don't. Today's hero is a cop who has performed cremations for over 1100 people. He postponed his daughter's marriage because of COVID duties.

Delhi Police, Twitter Hail Covid Hero ASI Rakesh Kumar Who Has Helped Cremate 1,100 People (ndtv.com)

Please remember India in your prayers and send your good thoughts. Thank you

Edited by Dreamergal
  • Sad 5