Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Fungal infections in covid patients, which first hit the news in India, now being seen in other countries, including 10-15% of critically ill patients in the UK. From The Guardian:

"A rash of cases of a rare "black fungus" infection affecting thousands of critically ill Covid patients in India caused alarm last month. Now scientists are warning that other dangerous or even deadly fungal infections have spawned in critically ill coronavirus patients globally, including in the UK.

When Covid-19 emerged, doctors found that the best tools in their arsenal to fight the virus were steroids, which happen to be immunosuppressants. Wary of secondary bacterial infections in intensive care units, doctors often gave coronavirus patients broad-spectrum antibiotics as a precaution.

But the combination of lungs battered by Covid, impaired immune systems, and both good and bad bacteria wiped out by antibiotics left critically ill patients exposed to moulds and spores. “It’s an unfortunate perfect storm for these organisms, and we’re seeing it,” said Dr Tom Chiller, the chief of the Mycotic Diseases Branch at the US-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Scientists now say concerning reports of other fungal infections, caused by pathogens including Aspergillus and Candida auris, have emerged in hospitalised Covid patients. In particular, the common fungal infection aspergillosis, often seen in combination with the flu, has been observed in critically ill Covid patients globally, from the US to the UK, France, Pakistan, and India.

A recent meta-review of 19 observational hospitalised Covid patient studies from various countries showed the overall incidence of Covid-associated pulmonary aspergillosis was 13.5% from 1,421 patients, with a range of 2.5% to 35%. Despite the widespread use of antifungals, nearly half of those infected died.

“Essentially, the more damage there is in the lung from a virus, the more likely you are to get a fungal infection,” said Dr Darius Armstrong-James, a clinical senior lecturer in respiratory fungal diseases at Imperial College London. “And the problem with fungal infections is that they’re much more lethal than bacterial infections. They’re difficult to treat, difficult to diagnose and cause a lot more mortality.”

Armstrong-James, who also leads the fungal diseases unit at the Royal Brompton hospital, estimated that roughly 10% to 15% of critically ill Covid patients have caught aspergillosis in hospitals in the UK, based on his own work as a clinician.

“Mucormycosis is very visible ... the patients look terrible, they’ve got these black areas on their face, they’re losing their eye ... it needs a big-time surgery, it looks dreadful,” he said. “A patient with aspergillosis is just sick on a ventilator, and they’ve already got a bad lung disease with Covid. And if they then die, then it’s all attributed to Covid.”

Given these hurdles, undercounting of aspergillosis cases was “extremely likely”, he added. He said the trend of these infections in hospitalised Covid patients was grave enough to justify administering antifungal treatments prophylactically, as doctors do with antibiotics. Research to assess the feasibility of that approach is ongoing.

According to Chiller, roughly half of those infected with mucormycosis tend to die – and aspergillosis can be just as deadly, especially in intensive care patients with Covid. “The important thing is to think fungus,” he said. “If you don’t think it, you’re not going to diagnose it, you’re not going to treat it, you’re not going to save lives.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jul/01/covid-perfect-storm-as-more-patients-hit-by-fungal-infections

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

31 cases for NSW

3 for Qld plus another day of lockdown

I missed the start of our press conference but I believe there’s two more cases one in the family of the previous miner and one more. No more restrictions at this point.

https://www.7news.com.au/lifestyle/vaccines/woman-dies-in-uk-five-weeks-after-receiving-first-dose-of-astrazeneca-in-australia-c-3278461

Also a woman has died in the UK of the blood clotting thing five weeks after getting AZ in Aus.  This as our PM is trying to push this as somehow a solution that younger people can get this vaccine from the GPs indemnity free 😬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Also quarantine here and in QLD is close to full. Sounds like they may be bringing back international arrivals limits just waiting for the update from National cabinet. 

Sorry to all the US people for the endless Aus related stuff here right now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

54 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Fungal infections in covid patients, which first hit the news in India, now being seen in other countries, including 10-15% of critically ill patients in the UK. From The Guardian:

"A rash of cases of a rare "black fungus" infection affecting thousands of critically ill Covid patients in India caused alarm last month. Now scientists are warning that other dangerous or even deadly fungal infections have spawned in critically ill coronavirus patients globally, including in the UK.

When Covid-19 emerged, doctors found that the best tools in their arsenal to fight the virus were steroids, which happen to be immunosuppressants. Wary of secondary bacterial infections in intensive care units, doctors often gave coronavirus patients broad-spectrum antibiotics as a precaution.

But the combination of lungs battered by Covid, impaired immune systems, and both good and bad bacteria wiped out by antibiotics left critically ill patients exposed to moulds and spores. “It’s an unfortunate perfect storm for these organisms, and we’re seeing it,” said Dr Tom Chiller, the chief of the Mycotic Diseases Branch at the US-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Scientists now say concerning reports of other fungal infections, caused by pathogens including Aspergillus and Candida auris, have emerged in hospitalised Covid patients. In particular, the common fungal infection aspergillosis, often seen in combination with the flu, has been observed in critically ill Covid patients globally, from the US to the UK, France, Pakistan, and India.

A recent meta-review of 19 observational hospitalised Covid patient studies from various countries showed the overall incidence of Covid-associated pulmonary aspergillosis was 13.5% from 1,421 patients, with a range of 2.5% to 35%. Despite the widespread use of antifungals, nearly half of those infected died.

“Essentially, the more damage there is in the lung from a virus, the more likely you are to get a fungal infection,” said Dr Darius Armstrong-James, a clinical senior lecturer in respiratory fungal diseases at Imperial College London. “And the problem with fungal infections is that they’re much more lethal than bacterial infections. They’re difficult to treat, difficult to diagnose and cause a lot more mortality.”

Armstrong-James, who also leads the fungal diseases unit at the Royal Brompton hospital, estimated that roughly 10% to 15% of critically ill Covid patients have caught aspergillosis in hospitals in the UK, based on his own work as a clinician.

“Mucormycosis is very visible ... the patients look terrible, they’ve got these black areas on their face, they’re losing their eye ... it needs a big-time surgery, it looks dreadful,” he said. “A patient with aspergillosis is just sick on a ventilator, and they’ve already got a bad lung disease with Covid. And if they then die, then it’s all attributed to Covid.”

Given these hurdles, undercounting of aspergillosis cases was “extremely likely”, he added. He said the trend of these infections in hospitalised Covid patients was grave enough to justify administering antifungal treatments prophylactically, as doctors do with antibiotics. Research to assess the feasibility of that approach is ongoing.

According to Chiller, roughly half of those infected with mucormycosis tend to die – and aspergillosis can be just as deadly, especially in intensive care patients with Covid. “The important thing is to think fungus,” he said. “If you don’t think it, you’re not going to diagnose it, you’re not going to treat it, you’re not going to save lives.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jul/01/covid-perfect-storm-as-more-patients-hit-by-fungal-infections

I am alleegicto aspergillis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Also quarantine here and in QLD is close to full. Sounds like they may be bringing back international arrivals limits just waiting for the update from National cabinet. 

Sorry to all the US people for the endless Aus related stuff here right now.

I enjoy reading it.

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

31 cases for NSW

3 for Qld plus another day of lockdown

I missed the start of our press conference but I believe there’s two more cases one in the family of the previous miner and one more. No more restrictions at this point.

https://www.7news.com.au/lifestyle/vaccines/woman-dies-in-uk-five-weeks-after-receiving-first-dose-of-astrazeneca-in-australia-c-3278461

Also a woman has died in the UK of the blood clotting thing five weeks after getting AZ in Aus.  This as our PM is trying to push this as somehow a solution that younger people can get this vaccine from the GPs indemnity free 😬

Gladys says cases now coming from retail...because retail is still open! And people are still shopping! What lock down!

Ds was rostered on three times this week, to sell, you know, fancy fashion. Essential? I don't think so. 

I am very bummed out by being 38/38 of OECD countries re vaccines. 

• Sad 2

International arrivals are being halved.  Apparently Gladys is not happy about that.  I’m not sure how that’s going to work if the quarantine hotels are full I guess they will have to set up another? 

The second case here was an international arrivals so less worrying.

Bit of a sore throat here today so I need to go get the test.  Slightly dreading the queue. And wondering if that means we all need to stay home.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

But anyway, it's ok. Even though 95% of us remain un-fully-vaccinated, and even though a Minister yesterday admitted we're 'back of the queue' for more Pfizer, our dear PM is announcing our post-vaccination plans. 'Vaccinate, prepare and pilot'. That's it. That's the plan. 

He was never keen on lockdowns anyway. I have had the feeling for a while that he is beating his own drum and everyone is politely ignoring him. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

International arrivals are being halved.  Apparently Gladys is not happy about that.  I’m not sure how that’s going to work if the quarantine hotels are full I guess they will have to set up another? 

The second case here was an international arrivals so less worrying.

Bit of a sore throat here today so I need to go get the test.  Slightly dreading the queue. And wondering if that means we all need to stay home.

Hope the queue isn't too bad. 

• Thanks 1

I have a nasty feeling that 'being offered AZ' if you're under 40 will count as a vaccination being made available, even though medical advice is still to avoid. 

My DD and a friend's DD are both working, unvaccinated, in hospitals - my DD in an oncology ward - I really want them both to get Pfizer as has been recommended. 

Edited by Melissa Louise
  • Sad 6

31 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

But anyway, it's ok. Even though 95% of us remain un-fully-vaccinated, and even though a Minister yesterday admitted we're 'back of the queue' for more Pfizer, our dear PM is announcing our post-vaccination plans. 'Vaccinate, prepare and pilot'. That's it. That's the plan. 

What does pilot mean?

31 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

My DD and a friend's DD are both working, unvaccinated, in hospitals - my DD in an oncology ward - I really want them both to get Pfizer as has been recommended. 

I am pretty sure they could both get vaccinations (Pfizer) at Homebush - my younger friends in healthcare are fully vaccinated with Pfizer, about 2mths ago - it wasn't difficult to get at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

Gladys says cases now coming from retail...because retail is still open! And people are still shopping! What lock down!

Ds was rostered on three times this week, to sell, you know, fancy fashion. Essential? I don't think so. 

I am very bummed out by being 38/38 of OECD countries re vaccines. 

My brother and I were sitting here reading your lockdown exemptions the other day and laughing in disbelief.

Hookturnistan 4 Eva!

36 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I have a nasty feeling that 'being offered AZ' if you're under 40 will count as a vaccination being made available, even though medical advice is still to avoid. 

Exactly.  I really hope your dd can be safe.  We seem to have more vaccine around down here for some reason.

• Like 1

Just now, Melissa Louise said:

I'll get them to call - I think age was an issue? 

Also keep trying.  My sis looked and there was an eight week wait. Then she looked the next day and managed to get an appointment two weeks later.  It’s just luck getting on when new slots have opened up as supplies come in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

My brother and I were sitting here reading your lockdown exemptions the other day and laughing in disbelief.

Hookturnistan 4 Eva!

Flipping Flower Power invited me to shop in their Covid safe environment, for all my essential gardening needs. Katie's sent me a 40% off sale notification - in-store. 

Ds said people are just coming into the shop to buy masks, lol. 

Basically, the only thing you can't do here is go to the pub or the gym.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

As part of that

“The government will trial letting vaccinated travellers quarantine for seven instead of 14 days”

That doesn’t seem like a great plan given the transmission situation with Pfizer vax in Singapore and only 8pc fully vaccinated here.

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

As part of that

“The government will trial letting vaccinated travellers quarantine for seven instead of 14 days”

That doesn’t seem like a great plan given the transmission situation with Pfizer vax in Singapore and only 8pc fully vaccinated here.

I heard this experiment is going to happen in your state.

keep us posted on how it goes

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Apparently we are moving to a management not suppression phase …

I apologize that I get confused which states are having what in Aus, but can you clarify for me which state you’re in that is changing plans?

33 minutes ago, KSera said:

I apologize that I get confused which states are having what in Aus, but can you clarify for me which state you’re in that is changing plans?

I don't think any state is changing plans. I think or should I say I hope it is just the PM letting out some of the hot air. 

I read somewhere where someone was trying to work out what he was saying: that the change of plan is somewhere in the future... Maybe towards the end of next year or some distant time like that

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I don't thonk any state is changing plans. I think or should I say I hope it is just the PM letting out some of the hot air. 

I read somewhere where someone was trying to work out what he was saying: that the change of plan is somewhere in the future... Maybe towards the end of next year or some distant time like that

Ah. Okay, I misunderstood and thought you meant they were going to stop trying to completely suppress the current outbreak. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, KSera said:

Ah. Okay, I misunderstood and thought you meant they were going to stop trying to completely suppress the current outbreak. 

Eh we’re all kind of confused as well.  Info is coming out in dribs and drabs but it appears the plan is still no plan just a vague aspiration.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/01/health/delta-variant-covid-england.html

The Delta variant, which is now responsible for most coronavirus infections in England, is not driving a surge in the rate of hospitalizations there, according to data released by Public Health England on Thursday.

The data suggest that countries with high vaccination rates are unlikely to see major surges in hospitalization rates from Delta. Nearly 75% of adults in England — including 95 % of those 80 or older — have had at least one shot, according to the agency’s numbers.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/998393/Weekly_Flu_and_COVID-19_report_w26_v3.pdf

• Like 3

On 7/1/2021 at 12:38 AM, Penelope said:

Here’s the direct link for anyone else who wants to look. https://covid.viz.sg

"Aaaand, it's gone..."  (at least no longer current)

This visualization is no longer live. Here's why.

Stoppage of live updates

No more live data from MOH

Unfortunately, because the Ministry of Health (MOH) Covid portal has stopped reporting detailed case notes since 29th June (Tuesday), this visualization cannot be updated.

Ooh, interesting article about vaccinating children. One of the big ideas is that vaccinating adults had a massive effect on protecting children and so that needs to be the focus. Also interesting points about the myocarditis thing.

Let's hold off vaccinating children and teens against COVID-19. Prioritising adults is our best shot for now (theconversation.com)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Ooh, interesting article about vaccinating children. One of the big ideas is that vaccinating adults had a massive effect on protecting children and so that needs to be the focus. Also interesting points about the myocarditis thing.

Let's hold off vaccinating children and teens against COVID-19. Prioritising adults is our best shot for now (theconversation.com)

I think for Australia, and other countries where there is not nearly enough vaccine, and all adults haven’t had the opportunity yet, this definitely makes sense. If all the adults in the US who could be vaccinated were, it might make sense here as well. The amount of vaccine hesitancy we have is going to prevent kids from being protected by adults, even though we have more than enough vaccine to do it. I am in favor of the US diverting extra vaccine supplies to other countries who need them. I wish people would take the opportunity we have to crush the virus here in this country by getting everybody vaccinated, but since they’re apparently not going to, let’s at least help make that happen in other countries. 

• Like 10