Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

11 hours ago, wathe said:

Right.  COVID vaccine supply in general.  Which is still an issue in much of the world, unlike in the US.

It's partly that we are a victim of our own success. The cohorts have been opened one by one and the uptake has been extraordinarily high. The governments have been concentrating on the vulnerable and older population who have responded very well.  This is good news but the increased infectiousness of variant Alpha then Delta have changed the picture.  This is for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833

Screenshot_20210621-074035_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

potential long term harm/impact of blood clotting issues with AZ was a factor in the changing advice for Aus.

Last week, the country's vaccine experts, the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) recommended the AstraZeneca vaccine only be used for people aged 60 and over, because of the rare risk of thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS).

ATAGI co-chair Christopher Blyth told the committee the risk of dying from a blood clot after receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine was one in 2 million, while the risk of death for people who experience the clotting disorder is 3 to 4 per cent, based on Australian data.

But Dr Blyth said a large factor in the ATAGI's decision was the long-term harm that could be experienced by the 60 Australians who have developed TTS.

"It is a remote risk of death compared to other things but I do think actually more needs to be considered than deaths and importantly, more than deaths were considered in our advice last week," he said.

"A number of Australians have been harmed as a result of blood clots and they are particularly occurring in younger individuals, and it is those harms that are in my mind as important as deaths.

"Of those, a number of those individuals will have long-term complications as a result of these events."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-22/covid19-cctv-footage-worrying-nsw-health-authorities/100231832

Delta variant fleeting transmission - cctv footage has shown at least one person appears to have contracted Covid simply from walking past someone in a shopping centre.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian added the encounter was "scarily fleeting".

"Literally people not even physically touching each other but fleetingly coming into the same airspace has seen the virus transfer from one person to another," the Premier said.

"That's how contagious it is."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 9

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

On the other hand Qld have had a local transmission case from the flight attendant and NSW had 3 more on top of the two till 8pm yesterday and another 7 since then 😬

Drat.

For selfish reasons. DD postponed her trip till tomorrow so she could see if case numbers were stable. I think they'll cancel now 🙁

• Sad 4

NSW has a total of 13 cases since 8PM I think. 8 cases are linked to a birthday party.  There are various others and currently 4 unlinked cases which is keeping contact tracers busy.  There is a new list of restrictions

• Visitors to households will be limited to 5 guests — including children
  • Masks will be compulsory in all indoor non-residential settings, including workplaces, and at organised outdoor events
  • Drinking while standing at indoor venues will not be allowed
  • Singing by audiences at indoor shows or by congregants at indoor places of worship will not be allowed
  • Dancing will not be allowed at indoor hospitality venues or nightclubs however, dancing is allowed at weddings for the bridal party only (no more than 20 people)
  • Dance and gym classes limited to 20 per class (masks must be worn)
  • The one person per four square metre rule will be re-introduced for all indoor and outdoor settings, including weddings and funerals
  • Outdoor seated events will be limited to 50 per cent seated capacity
  • Previous public transport capacity limits, represented by green dots, will be reintroduced
  • If you live or work in the City of Sydney, Waverley, Randwick, Canada Bay, Inner West, Bayside, and Woollahra local government areas, you cannot travel outside metropolitan Sydney for non-essential travel.

We’ve also managed to import a case to Wellington NZ which has been out in Wellington with Wellington contemplating further measures I think.

The premier of QLD stated that transmission is taking seconds not minutes of contact with Delta.  Not sure how accurate that is but it sounds worrying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

9 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I cannot  work out the total for NSW. Some sources are saying 13, some 16and some saying more but some of the numbers will be tomorrow numbers. Talk about making things confusing 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-23/covid-live-updates-nsw-borders-bondi-cluster/100236410

according to ABC it was 10 for the 24 hours to 8 pm and then 13 so far since then.

“Ok, so there were 10 new cases on the official count for today, but we heard about seven of them yesterday. Then a further 13 cases were reported after the 8:00pm deadline — they'll be included in tomorrow's official count. “

I agree super confusing 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, maize said:

Are vaccinations happening in Australia?

Yeah but slowly.  We didn’t sign up for Pfizer till November because we were relying on AZ and now that’s only recommended for over 60s (and has a three month waiting period).  There’s been a lot in the 50-60 age group holding out before they made them eligible for Pfizer.

Im eligible and booked in for mid- July, though still keeping an eye on the data on side effects etc to be honest.  Family who are in various priority groups have had the first dose.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, maize said:

Exceedingly slowly. 

I think it's 3.8% of the population fully vaccinated. 

We don't have enough Pfizer - under 60's can no longer have AZ. 

I got in early and am fully vaccinated (AZ) for winter. 

We might get Novovax later in the year. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, maize said:

Yes, but not in a particularly methodical way.

My local doctors can't do vaccinations for under 60's, so my closest vaccination centre is 40mins away. Being on a budget, I need to combine errands. The nurse there has been posting on the neighbouring towns FB groups encouraging us to walk in, even though the official line is that only second doses are being given and we're meant to book through a statewide phone number. Yesterday, when I was in town for the auto electrician, they were booked up for the first time in a fortnight, so I'll have to try again next week when I'm there for the dentist. 

I don't know what it's like anywhere else, but it's damned inconvenient here.

1 minute ago, Rosie_0801 said:

My local doctors can't do vaccinations for under 60's, so my closest vaccination centre is 40mins away. Being on a budget, I need to combine errands. The nurse there has been posting on the neighbouring towns FB groups encouraging us to walk in, even though the official line is that only second doses are being given and we're meant to book through a statewide phone number. Yesterday, when I was in town for the auto electrician, they were booked up for the first time in a fortnight, so I'll have to try again next week when I'm there for the dentist. 

Here it’s an online booking system.  Everyone I’ve spoken to has said it’s pretty streamline once you’re in.  Because I’m eligible under the regional rules I have to go to a regional hospital even though we are actually closer to one in the city.  But I’m not complaining I thought I’d be waiting a lot longer.  And I still have some reservations although I’ll probably go ahead.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The premier of QLD stated that transmission is taking seconds not minutes of contact with Delta.  Not sure how accurate that is but it sounds worrying.

I keep reading that they have cc video of a couple of the fleeting contact transmission events, but I haven’t seen the video itself. What I wanted to know is weather the individuals involved or masked. Anyone know?

what size gathering is being allowed indoors now? I saw 50 before, but the new guidelines posted in this thread don’t address size of indoor groups.

1 minute ago, KSera said:

I keep reading that they have cc video of a couple of the fleeting contact transmission events, but I haven’t seen the video itself. What I wanted to know is weather the individuals involved or masked. Anyone know?

what size gathering is being allowed indoors now? I saw 50 before, but the new guidelines posted in this thread don’t address size of indoor groups.

1 per 4 square metres as from today.

5 guests in homes.

I assume unmasked - we've been living very normal lives in Sydney, other than a few blips. Hardly anyone has been masking in shops this year. B/c normally we have zero community transmission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yikes, just saw this about one of the Australia transmissions:

‘The driver’s infection is deemed to have been “highly infectious”, as he also passed on the virus to a woman who had been sitting outside at a cafe in Vaucluse.

“This indicates that the initial case was highly infectious, as transmission must have occurred through fleeting exposure, noting that the person who caught the infection at the cafe was seated outside and there was no known on-site contact with the initial case,” Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said.’

If it’s true that they never crossed paths in an indoor space, that would be super concerning to me. We are treating outdoors as safe right now (as long as not too many people, or too close). 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, KSera said:

Most likely unmasked there’s very little masking here or at least until this week.

• Thanks 1

An Australian flew to Wellington (my city) for the weekend, and we just found out that he had symptoms on Saturday and travelled ALL around town. He had gotten his first jab 10 weeks earlier, but they think it is the Delta variant. They are doing major contact tracing and testing at about 20 places of interest, and have just reduced group size to 100 plus requiring all bars to go to the 3 S model (separated, seated, and single server). Crossing fingers we don't go into lock down. It would be our first since lockdown ended in May last year. We have been so fortunate to have a normal life for these last 13 months, that I can't complain. But we are going on a holiday in 9 days, so crossing fingers that we can still go! 

• Sad 10

30 minutes ago, lewelma said:

An Australian flew to Wellington (my city) for the weekend, and we just found out that he had symptoms on Saturday and travelled ALL around town. He had gotten his first jab 10 weeks earlier, but they think it is the Delta variant. They are doing major contact tracing and testing at about 20 places of interest, and have just reduced group size to 100 plus requiring all bars to go to the 3 S model (separated, seated, and single server). Crossing fingers we don't go into lock down. It would be our first since lockdown ended in May last year. We have been so fortunate to have a normal life for these last 13 months, that I can't complain. But we are going on a holiday in 9 days, so crossing fingers that we can still go! 

I feel like I should apologise for my compatriot!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I feel like I should apologise for my compatriot!

Well, it will be the first case of its kind since May 2020. All other cases we have had that escaped into the community came from quarantine, not from a travel bubble. So there are LOT of questions and a fair bit of blame going on. 

My downstairs neighbour is currently in self-isolation because he was at a location of interest. So we as a block of 7 flats are grocery shopping for him and buying him wine! Luckily he works from home. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lewelma said:

Do you know if it’s Pfizer or Astra Zeneca he had?  Fingers crossed for you to be able to get your holiday still 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Do you know if it’s Pfizer or Astra Zeneca he had?  Fingers crossed for you to be able to get your holiday still 

Not in the news yet. But they implied that he needed a second and hadn't had it yet. He had bad enough symptoms on Saturday that he went to a Chemist to get some cold/flu meds. So he was clearly contagious. Nothing like having your entire life for your 3 day holiday be in the national news and be picked apart. We even know when and where he went to the toilet. Luckily for us, he used the covid tracer app.

Everyone I have talked to is very philosophical about going into lockdown. It will probably only be for 1 or 2 weeks, and we have had 13 months of complete normalcy including sporting events at stadiums. Can't really complain. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

It sure is.   Over here, it is getting much better but not for the one place I go to every week- the wound clinic. I go on Tuesday afternoon and we were surprised to have to park so far away which we never had to do before (and we have been going to this building on and off to see some medical provider for almost ten years).  Even though it is separate from the hospital building I was at and not  even in an auxiliary hospital building but just in a regular medical office building in that same hospital area, dh and I have to keep wearing our masks. And yesterday, I was in a mildly grumpy mood so I asked the receptionist, how much longer all of us vaccinated people will have to wear a mask there?  She said that since they are considered part of the hospital, they have to require masks.  That was then followed up by an over one hour wait and my asthma was bad and my left hip joint was really hurting- and you are completely right Rosie- damned inconvenient.

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

Not in the news yet. But they implied that he needed a second and hadn't had it yet. He had bad enough symptoms on Saturday that he went to a Chemist to get some cold/flu meds. So he was clearly contagious. Nothing like having your entire life for your 3 day holiday be in the national news and be picked apart. We even know when and where he went to the toilet. Luckily for us, he used the covid tracer app.

Everyone I have talked to is very philosophical about going into lockdown. It will probably only be for 1 or 2 weeks, and we have had 13 months of complete normalcy including sporting events at stadiums. Can't really complain. 

I’m curious because the last thing I heard on coronacast suggested Astra is good against delta eventually but it possibly takes much longer to reach full immunity than Pfizer.  My parents have had Astra and can’t get the second dose till August which means younger people may end up fully vaxxed before the older ones.

Is NZ vaccinating much yet?  Or is it as messy as ours?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m curious because the last thing I heard on coronacast suggested Astra is good against delta eventually but it possibly takes much longer to reach full immunity than Pfizer.  My parents have had Astra and can’t get the second dose till August which means younger people may end up fully vaxxed before the older ones.

Is NZ vaccinating much yet?  Or is it as messy as ours?

The interview with the Minister last night said that having only 1 dose is not particularly effective against Delta, so they are treating it like a non-vaccinated case. Because he went to Te Papa, to a very busy indoor exibition, it looks like 2500 people need to self isolate. That plus all the people at the 2 bars, 5 restaurants, Weta Cave, and like 5 other venues. They are saying that it could be a superspreader event, but it really all depends on how contagious he was. Because it was caught super early. So far, his 4 close contacts have tested negative, and there are no community cases, but it is really too early to know because of the incubation period. 

Our vaccine has been sourced from India, so it has been a bit slow getting here. And we have not really been in an ethical position to demand it. At this point about 8% have been vaccinated, and they are ramping up for the entire population starting at the end of July. The plan is to have it done by December. It does not seem messy, it just appears like there has been multiple delays in the supply arriving. 

The government has also announced that they will be removing all content (websites, pamphlets, ads) that are antivax. They have asked people to dob it in when they see it. I don't know a lot of details, but they will not be allowing fake news on vaccines. The newspapers sites are running positive articles about once a week, and have a constant link to real scientific information on health risks to the vaccine. Will be interesting to see how many people here choose to get it because we have no covid here so people feel low risk, but there is also so much patriotism about the NZ response being one of the best in the world, that a lot of people want to be a part of the solution to opening the borders.  

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Local cases for Aus

11 for NSW

1 for Vic from NSW

3 for QLD from flight attendant 

It seems pretty clear to me that winter plus delta is making things a lot harder plus no social distancing anywhere really.  I can see is heading toward fully closed internal borders again unless things change - either that or accepting some level of community transmission.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

0 community cases so far.  Might rule out him transmitting it on Saturday as it has been 5 days. Tomorrow will tell us about Sunday. Crossing fingers. They have excluded all Wellingtonians from travelling to the Cook Islands. Right now, we are not in any sort of lockdown, just no gatherings over 100 including churches and you are required to sign in at any stores you go to.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Interesting shift in cases and policy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57581952

This is interesting. I hope it continues! I just read something written by a scientist in Georgia, who has been following the data throughout, and his graph seemed to show that there was increased severity and mortality because of variants in his area. But it looks like the vaccination rate in Georgia is only just over 35%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TCB said:

This is interesting. I hope it continues! I just read something written by a scientist in Georgia, who has been following the data throughout, and his graph seemed to show that there was increased severity and mortality because of variants in his area. But it looks like the vaccination rate in Georgia is only just over 35%.

According to the NYT the UK has 65 per cent with at least one dose and 47 per cent fully vaccinated. Let's hope that the high double vaccination rates among older and vulnerable people help.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

22 cases for NSW and four areas in lockdown.  

I think the rest of Australia is wondering why a full lockdown hasn’t already happened but every other time NSW contact tracing has managed to do the job.  So maybe they will pull it off again.

It's always fun to walk that tightrope. 

Thank goodness it's the school holidays. Hopefully ppl are sensible and stay home. 

• Like 1