Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/534ffca6-a86a-11eb-b000-cc13f23b4eff?shareToken=d91036446b85bb31feba4a7fad9afd60

The areas of Scotland each comprise roughly 4,200 people -

'More than four million people in Scotland live in areas that are recording virtually no new cases of Covid-19, analysis by The Times has shown.

Five out of six people live in areas where a maximum of two infections were reported during the most recent week for which data is available.'

60 per cent of the adult population also has antibodies, either from previous infections or vaccination.  Travel between different areas of Scotland has just been opened, plus other loosening,  so I have my fingers crossed. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bookbard said:

Two more deaths in Australia after the A-Z vaccine. 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/29/australia-two-nsw-men-die-after-receiving-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine

My MIL was sent to hospital after the nursing home vaccinated everyone yesterday - she's very ill (but she has late stage cancer so it may be chance? They aren't telling us much except that it may be last days.) 

After several quarantine breaches Victoria is planning on building a bespoke quarantine facility. I feel like it shows most of us thought that this sort of thing wouldn't be needed a year ago - I wonder why, why did we think it would be over so soon?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-29/victoria-identfies-melbourne-site-for-quarantine-facility/100103308

😞 

I’m so sorry to hear about your mother in law 

6 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

The count per day of new cases reached 400,000 for the first time.  Undercounted probably because they just cannot now . How much higher can it go ?? 😢

Yes. I heard a very eloquent journalist speaking from India on NPR today. She said that lots of places just don't have tests available, so the official case count may be 20 times the official count. 😞

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

https://academic.oup.com/ofid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ofid/ofab217/6257145

the longest known Covid case - 8months in a patient with mantle cell lymphoma 

Results

SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR on nasopharyngeal swabs samples remained positive for 268 days. All five performed viral cultures were positive and genomic analysis confirmed a persistent infection with the same strain. Viremia resulted positive in three out of four COVID-19 clinical relapses and cleared each time after remdesivir treatment. T and NK cells dynamic was different in aviremic and viremic samples and no SARS-CoV-2 specific antibodies were detected throughout the disease course.

Conclusions

In our patient, SARS-CoV-2 persisted with proven infectivity for over eight months. Viremia was associated with COVID-19 relapses and remdesivir treatment was effective in viremia clearance and symptoms remission, although it was unable to clear the virus from the upper respiratory airways. During the viremic phase, we observed a low frequency of terminal effector CD8+ T lymphocytes in peripheral blood that are probably recruited in inflammatory tissue for viral eradication. In addition we found a high level of NK cells repertoire perturbation with a relevant involvement during SARS-CoV-2 viremia.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

Cautious optimism in Ontario today.  Our case numbers have been falling, and finally our ICU numbers seem to have stopped rising - they fallen by a little itty bit for 2 days in a row (900 two days ago, 889 today).

Edited ;  900 not 9002 - quite different numbers!

Edited by wathe
  • Like 19

Posted (edited)

I have been in contact with missionaries in the UK who then shared with me a church in Middlesex who is supporting South Asian Concerns “KCH oxygen appeal”. They are helping a hospital in Kachhwa (near Varanasi). The goal is to purchase one oxygen generating machine and 3 ventilators. It’s very easy to donate. I’ll delete if this isn’t allowed. 

eta: after reading @Dreamergalposts, the church I linked is having a time of corporate prayer for India Tues May 5 at 7:45 pm local time. There is a zoom link, but I will just set aside time to pray.

New Life Suwarta Sangat

https://southasianconcern.org/oxygen-for-india/

https://account.stewardship.org.uk/donation/oneoff/covid19_appeal

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KSera said:

A coworker just lost a cousin in his thirties to Covid in India 😔

My husband's employer has an office in India. What the workers there are describing is almost apocalyptic.  

• Sad 12

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

5 new cases of clotting in Australia this week on astra Zeneca including one in a 66 and one in a 71 year old.

The wife of the man who test positive in NSW has now also tested positive.

What were their outcomes? Does awareness seem to be helping with early and better treatment?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KSera said:

What were their outcomes? Does awareness seem to be helping with early and better treatment?

awareness is making the population jittery about being vaccinated. especially as the chance of getting covid are very remote. Many people would prefer the borders to remain closed and have no vaccine .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Of the latest 5 cases one has been mentioned as being in intensive care and one in a stable condition in hospital. The lack of medical status of the other 3 would imply they are doing okay.

A Melissa said it is certainly increasing vaccine hesitancy but I feel like most of it is confined to that particular vaccine. Most people I know would be more than happy to get the Pfizer but we have a very limited supply of that so it is only going to high priority under 50s at the moment.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Plum said:

Does anyone know what % have long covid vs % with complications from other viruses? Is it about the same? 

Complicated question. I am seeing comparative papers, like this one https://royalsociety.org/blog/2021/02/what-do-we-know-about-long-covid/ but not studies. Comparisons are being made more to chronic fatigue and EBV than to influenza and the like in that it seems to be longer in duration and more inflammation related than just post viral damage in the lungs with, say, influenza.

Back to restrictions and mask wearing in Sydney - just before Mother's Day. Last time it was just before Christmas! My BIL was going to visit us from interstate but isn't going to risk it now. I'm hoping this will remind people how quickly things can change around covid. Vaccination is definitely ramping up here, I know a number of people (elderly or medical people) who have been vaccinated with either A-Z or Pfizer. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

In the middle of all, we need to remember the good and it comes in the form of ordinary heroes. Here is the story of one such person.

Covid Hero of the Day from Agra: Nina Muniyal feeds 100 patients daily - Lifestyle News (indiatoday.in)

Please pray for India and send your kind thoughts. Thank you.

Thanks for sharing this. That’s a hero. 

• Like 3

The Salem Oregon based The Peoples Church, which sued the state to continue holding packed indoor services w/o masking, is now the epicenter of a Covid outreach that has sickened at least 74 people.

Executive pastor Tom Murray says, “we are concerned about the covid-19 surge in Oregon.” 

Meanwhile, the church plans to continue continue with in-person ceremonies with unmasked congregants packed shoulder to shoulder.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/05/07/oregon-peoples-church-covid-outbreak/

Bill

• Sad 7

17 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Are these commercial flights or reparation flights ? 

There was some fracas I did not pay attention much to about Aussie citizens stranded in India being threatened with jail time (?) and reparation flights for citizens  trying to get back home cancelled. Some have been stranded for months. These are not commercial flights.

I do not think commercial flights would be starting any time soon. There are less than 10,000 Australian citizens who want to go back the last I heard. 

Repatriation flights.  Yes there’s a big kerfuffle here over it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Repatriation flights.  Yes there’s a big kerfuffle here over it.  

Yeah, repatriation... like, take people who USED to live there (same root as "patriot") and put them back into the country (that's the "re-" prefix 😄.)  

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Hopefully not useful to anyone here but just in case this Twitter thread has some documents on managing oxygen when resources are limited and managing oxygen at home.  

My ^dd^ was oxygen dependent during the last several months of her life. She had a concentrator which requires electricity, but then we also had tanks for when we were out and about or when we had power failures. We had to have sufficient oxygen for a few days as ice storms could prevent deliveries. We literally had a room set up with backup tanks.

When they are talking about high flow oxygen use for covid—they are talking about using many huge cylinders (like 8 H tanks) a day to keep someone alive if they are getting a minimal 40L per minute high flow for severe covid. Most likely, they don’t have H tanks (that weigh a couple of hundred pounds each) but smaller ones...so many more tanks per person needed.

Now take that number of tanks needed per person x tens of thousands of people.... It’s a staggering amount of oxygen.

• Sad 5

Posted (edited)

Governor of Florida, whom I'm positive is a demon working for Wolfram and Hart, signed a law making it illegal for cities or counties to have mask mandates or ANY covid regluations about occupancy, distancing, etc , and illegal for any business or school to require Covid vaccines. 

I am...apoplectic. (had to look that up to spell it right) 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 17

4 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Thanks. Many of them have been stuck for months per the BBC and kids among them.

The Indian variant is already there apparently and according to this no known path of transmission 

Australia: Mystery Case Of Indian Covid Variant Leads To Curbs In Sydney (ndtv.com)

Ugh....this stupid virus. I hope we get treatment that makes life a bit more tolerable even if we get the disease. Not where we need to shut down everything and apocalypse scenarios.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-07/india-covid-flights-can-howard-springs-handle-it/100123880

some of the math behind why the ban was implemented and what is needed to lift it.  Apparently there are 173 children in India whose parents are in Australia right now. I know some people had to fly to India to sort out affairs after their parents or relatives died.  And then there’s the Australian cricketers who really could have just not ...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Governor of Florida, whom I'm positive is a demon working for Wolfram and Hart, signed a law making it illegal for cities or counties to have mask mandates or ANY covid regluations about occupancy, distancing, etc , and illegal for any business or school to require Covid vaccines. 

He's a special kind of evil all right. I don't want to think about all the people I know who probably approve.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dreamergal said:

.I have a cousin who is a doctor in a tiny rural dot of a village. It is very idyllic most days and he deliberately settled there giving up big city salary partly because he liked the slow pace and partly because of providing medical services in a place with few resources.  While they do not have a lot of cases, it is over run because they do not have the resources a bigger city has.

So yeah, I am really not in favor of stressing a small place with few medical resources because it collapses. It is horrendous to see and I do not want it to happen anywhere in the world.

Can they put the flights from India in one place with a lot of resources anticipating the worst. I know Australia has a strict quarantines, so can they monitor them like that ? 

yeah, they can just....I have nothing nice to say so I better 😷

I think the trouble is our quarantine is still not adequate.  Every time we get over a certain number of cases we have outbreaks possibly because of the lack of airborne protection.  In hindsight we should have built purpose built facilities 12 months ago but no one thought it would last that long.   As far as well resourced goes we have pretty bad resource issues for ambulances etc even without Covid.  I suspect that’s partly why we’re so cautious about letting it in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Wow. Wow. Wow.  I have no words.  That is the most insane thing.  How the he.. can anyone think to do something like that after the last year?  I am so sorry. 

• Like 3

Norwegian Cruise Lines is not amused.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Sue the ________

That is what private citizens are doing in India while our leader builds the modern "Taj Mahal" as a testament to his glory as the country burns. 

Isn't it shocking how every country spawns _______ of the same kind. 

I would fill in the blanks with multiple bad words describing such people, but do not want to get kicked out of here. So feel free to do so. 

The mayor of St. Petersburg said he COULD sue, and would likely win, but it would cost so much, PLUS how do you get community buy in at that point, when the head of the state already undermined you. Crappy situation. Likely some will sue though. 

Just now, JennyD said:

Norwegian Cruise Lines is not amused.

OUr only hope is that businesses (and their money) can sway him. 

• Like 3

I don't think this has been posted yet.

WHO upgraded their "Coronavirus Disease: How is it Transmitted?" page to formally acknowledge aerosol transmission.

CDC has done the same.

This is a very big deal.  Canadian news has been quiet on the subject.  I think because hospital just don't have the resources to treat it as airborne.  (We're still in pleated medical ear-loop masks for almost everything, including care of covid patients. Respirators/n95's are strictly reserved for aerosol generating medical procedures only.  And, to be fair, it's been mostly working; hospital staff covid rates are lower than community rates where I am)

Here is a very nice NYT opinion piece on the issue; it's worth reading, "Why Did It Take So Long To Accept The Facts About Covid?"

• Like 14

20 hours ago, kbutton said:

He's a special kind of evil all right. I don't want to think about all the people I know who probably approve.

In this case it’s a law, though, right? So there are many people to hold accountable if you don’t like the law.

I don’t have an opinion on this law, but I do know there are a lot of people in other states who think that at 14 months in, taking power for making ALL the rules away from one or two people in the executive branch is long overdue. 

4 minutes ago, Penelope said:

In this case it’s a law, though, right? So there are many people to hold accountable if you don’t like the law.

I don’t have an opinion on this law, but I do know there are a lot of people in other states who think that at 14 months in, taking power for making ALL the rules away from one or two people in the executive branch is long overdue. 

But this wasn't about one person. It was about individual local governments being able to make health rules for their location based on local need. Now, they can't do that. If my county has a spike, they can no longer implement ANY restrictions on distancing, masks, anything. 

And yes, we can hold them accountable, but not until the next election. People will die of this disease before then. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

17 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

But this wasn't about one person. It was about individual local governments being able to make health rules for their location based on local need. Now, they can't do that. If my county has a spike, they can no longer implement ANY restrictions on distancing, masks, anything. 

And yes, we can hold them accountable, but not until the next election. People will die of this disease before then. 

It's also shockingly not conservative to take control away from businesses and local government, and he purports to be conservative.

• Like 11

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I see. Yes, I’m in favor of local governments having some leeway, so that does seem like overreach. 

I can also see the other side of this, where there should be some kind of limits on what a local or mayor or city council can do. I mean, I wouldn’t want to live in a town where a mayor decides that even one case of Covid is too much and we all have to wear masks until he says we can stop some time in 2022 even with no one in the hospital. That’s a little bit hyperbolic but serves my point.

I also think that as disease burden in the form of hospitalizations fall, there is a much, much higher burden to show that mask mandates, closures, curfews, or anything else that has been done in the name of public health had an effect, and to do a better job at quantifying that effect before deciding to put those things into place again. Restriction of large indoor gatherings seems like it would be the measure with the most evidence and common sense behind it, but some of the others, maybe not so much. 

I do not think we are in a place anymore where we can justify any restriction just because someone thinks it does something or wants to seem like they are doing something politically. We need much more transparency with regard to what made a difference and what didn’t. 

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I see. Yes, I’m in favor of local governments having some leeway, so that does seem like overreach. 

I can also see the other side of this, where there should be some kind of limits on what a local or mayor or city council can do. I mean, I wouldn’t want to live in a town where a mayor decides that even one case of Covid is too much and we all have to wear masks until he says we can stop some time in 2022 even with no one in the hospital. That’s a little bit hyperbolic but serves my point.

I also think that as disease burden in the form of hospitalizations fall, there is a much, much higher burden to show that mask mandates, closures, curfews, or anything else that has been done in the name of public health had an effect, and to do a better job at quantifying that effect before deciding to put those things into place again. Restriction of large indoor gatherings seems like it would be the measure with the most evidence and common sense behind it, but some of the others, maybe not so much. 

I do not think we are in a place anymore where we can justify any restriction just because someone thinks it does something or wants to seem like they are doing something politically. We need much more transparency with regard to what made a difference and what didn’t. 

His logic for the law was "we have a vaccine now, so don't need any other restrictions". Except, right now only adults can be vaccinated, and we have I think less than 40% of the population vaccinated. I'm not worried for ME, because I'm vaccinated, but my kids are not - no kids are -and some are higher risk,  and I have a relative that is an organ transplant recipient who is likely not well protected by her vaccine, some elderly won't have a good immune response, etc etc. We also keep flirting around 9% positivity still. It's just too soon to make mask mandates illegal, to do away with mask requirements in all state government places, etc. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

It's also shockingly not conservative to take control away from businesses and local government, and he purports to be conservative.

Businesses are still free to implement restrictions. 

3 minutes ago, KeriJ said:

I misread the quote, but I thought I had read/heard (via news sites) elsewhere that he was banning businesses from requiring masks. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, KeriJ said:

5 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I misread the quote, but I thought I had read/heard (via news sites) elsewhere that he was banning businesses from requiring masks. 

His order bans businesses from requiring vaccines.  That's what the cruise lines are upset about.  It looks like they can still require masks though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/05/07/norwegian-cruise-florida-desantis-vaccine/

"Ron DeSantis (R) issued an executive order in March barring businesses from requiring proof of vaccinations. He signed that order into state law on Monday."

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2021/05/04/what-we-know-about-desantis-executive-order-suspending-local-covid-19-restrictions/

Can businesses still require social distancing and masks?

Yes. DeSantis made clear Monday that the executive orders apply only to local government-mandated orders, not mask requirements or social distancing policies enforced by businesses.

That means a restaurant or store can still require patrons to wear face coverings or follow other safety procedures if it wants to do so.

Edited by HeartString
corrected it
  • Like 1