Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

17 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Are these commercial flights or reparation flights ? 

There was some fracas I did not pay attention much to about Aussie citizens stranded in India being threatened with jail time (?) and reparation flights for citizens  trying to get back home cancelled. Some have been stranded for months. These are not commercial flights.

I do not think commercial flights would be starting any time soon. There are less than 10,000 Australian citizens who want to go back the last I heard. 

Repatriation flights.  Yes there’s a big kerfuffle here over it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Hopefully not useful to anyone here but just in case this Twitter thread has some documents on managing oxygen when resources are limited and managing oxygen at home.  

My ^dd^ was oxygen dependent during the last several months of her life. She had a concentrator which requires electricity, but then we also had tanks for when we were out and about or when we had power failures. We had to have sufficient oxygen for a few days as ice storms could prevent deliveries. We literally had a room set up with backup tanks.

When they are talking about high flow oxygen use for covid—they are talking about using many huge cylinders (like 8 H tanks) a day to keep someone alive if they are getting a minimal 40L per minute high flow for severe covid. Most likely, they don’t have H tanks (that weigh a couple of hundred pounds each) but smaller ones...so many more tanks per person needed.

Now take that number of tanks needed per person x tens of thousands of people.... It’s a staggering amount of oxygen.

• Sad 5

Governor of Florida, whom I'm positive is a demon working for Wolfram and Hart, signed a law making it illegal for cities or counties to have mask mandates or ANY covid regluations about occupancy, distancing, etc , and illegal for any business or school to require Covid vaccines. 

I am...apoplectic. (had to look that up to spell it right) 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 17

4 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Thanks. Many of them have been stuck for months per the BBC and kids among them.

The Indian variant is already there apparently and according to this no known path of transmission 

Australia: Mystery Case Of Indian Covid Variant Leads To Curbs In Sydney (ndtv.com)

Ugh....this stupid virus. I hope we get treatment that makes life a bit more tolerable even if we get the disease. Not where we need to shut down everything and apocalypse scenarios.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-07/india-covid-flights-can-howard-springs-handle-it/100123880

some of the math behind why the ban was implemented and what is needed to lift it.  Apparently there are 173 children in India whose parents are in Australia right now. I know some people had to fly to India to sort out affairs after their parents or relatives died.  And then there’s the Australian cricketers who really could have just not ...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Governor of Florida, whom I'm positive is a demon working for Wolfram and Hart, signed a law making it illegal for cities or counties to have mask mandates or ANY covid regluations about occupancy, distancing, etc , and illegal for any business or school to require Covid vaccines. 

He's a special kind of evil all right. I don't want to think about all the people I know who probably approve.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dreamergal said:

.I have a cousin who is a doctor in a tiny rural dot of a village. It is very idyllic most days and he deliberately settled there giving up big city salary partly because he liked the slow pace and partly because of providing medical services in a place with few resources.  While they do not have a lot of cases, it is over run because they do not have the resources a bigger city has.

So yeah, I am really not in favor of stressing a small place with few medical resources because it collapses. It is horrendous to see and I do not want it to happen anywhere in the world.

Can they put the flights from India in one place with a lot of resources anticipating the worst. I know Australia has a strict quarantines, so can they monitor them like that ? 

yeah, they can just....I have nothing nice to say so I better 😷

I think the trouble is our quarantine is still not adequate.  Every time we get over a certain number of cases we have outbreaks possibly because of the lack of airborne protection.  In hindsight we should have built purpose built facilities 12 months ago but no one thought it would last that long.   As far as well resourced goes we have pretty bad resource issues for ambulances etc even without Covid.  I suspect that’s partly why we’re so cautious about letting it in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Wow. Wow. Wow.  I have no words.  That is the most insane thing.  How the he.. can anyone think to do something like that after the last year?  I am so sorry. 

• Like 3

Norwegian Cruise Lines is not amused.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Sue the ________

That is what private citizens are doing in India while our leader builds the modern "Taj Mahal" as a testament to his glory as the country burns. 

Isn't it shocking how every country spawns _______ of the same kind. 

I would fill in the blanks with multiple bad words describing such people, but do not want to get kicked out of here. So feel free to do so. 

The mayor of St. Petersburg said he COULD sue, and would likely win, but it would cost so much, PLUS how do you get community buy in at that point, when the head of the state already undermined you. Crappy situation. Likely some will sue though. 

Just now, JennyD said:

Norwegian Cruise Lines is not amused.

OUr only hope is that businesses (and their money) can sway him. 

• Like 3

I don't think this has been posted yet.

WHO upgraded their "Coronavirus Disease: How is it Transmitted?" page to formally acknowledge aerosol transmission.

CDC has done the same.

This is a very big deal.  Canadian news has been quiet on the subject.  I think because hospital just don't have the resources to treat it as airborne.  (We're still in pleated medical ear-loop masks for almost everything, including care of covid patients. Respirators/n95's are strictly reserved for aerosol generating medical procedures only.  And, to be fair, it's been mostly working; hospital staff covid rates are lower than community rates where I am)

Here is a very nice NYT opinion piece on the issue; it's worth reading, "Why Did It Take So Long To Accept The Facts About Covid?"

• Like 14

20 hours ago, kbutton said:

He's a special kind of evil all right. I don't want to think about all the people I know who probably approve.

In this case it’s a law, though, right? So there are many people to hold accountable if you don’t like the law.

I don’t have an opinion on this law, but I do know there are a lot of people in other states who think that at 14 months in, taking power for making ALL the rules away from one or two people in the executive branch is long overdue. 

4 minutes ago, Penelope said:

In this case it’s a law, though, right? So there are many people to hold accountable if you don’t like the law.

I don’t have an opinion on this law, but I do know there are a lot of people in other states who think that at 14 months in, taking power for making ALL the rules away from one or two people in the executive branch is long overdue. 

But this wasn't about one person. It was about individual local governments being able to make health rules for their location based on local need. Now, they can't do that. If my county has a spike, they can no longer implement ANY restrictions on distancing, masks, anything. 

And yes, we can hold them accountable, but not until the next election. People will die of this disease before then. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

17 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

But this wasn't about one person. It was about individual local governments being able to make health rules for their location based on local need. Now, they can't do that. If my county has a spike, they can no longer implement ANY restrictions on distancing, masks, anything. 

And yes, we can hold them accountable, but not until the next election. People will die of this disease before then. 

It's also shockingly not conservative to take control away from businesses and local government, and he purports to be conservative.

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I see. Yes, I’m in favor of local governments having some leeway, so that does seem like overreach. 

I can also see the other side of this, where there should be some kind of limits on what a local or mayor or city council can do. I mean, I wouldn’t want to live in a town where a mayor decides that even one case of Covid is too much and we all have to wear masks until he says we can stop some time in 2022 even with no one in the hospital. That’s a little bit hyperbolic but serves my point.

I also think that as disease burden in the form of hospitalizations fall, there is a much, much higher burden to show that mask mandates, closures, curfews, or anything else that has been done in the name of public health had an effect, and to do a better job at quantifying that effect before deciding to put those things into place again. Restriction of large indoor gatherings seems like it would be the measure with the most evidence and common sense behind it, but some of the others, maybe not so much. 

I do not think we are in a place anymore where we can justify any restriction just because someone thinks it does something or wants to seem like they are doing something politically. We need much more transparency with regard to what made a difference and what didn’t. 

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I see. Yes, I’m in favor of local governments having some leeway, so that does seem like overreach. 

I can also see the other side of this, where there should be some kind of limits on what a local or mayor or city council can do. I mean, I wouldn’t want to live in a town where a mayor decides that even one case of Covid is too much and we all have to wear masks until he says we can stop some time in 2022 even with no one in the hospital. That’s a little bit hyperbolic but serves my point.

I also think that as disease burden in the form of hospitalizations fall, there is a much, much higher burden to show that mask mandates, closures, curfews, or anything else that has been done in the name of public health had an effect, and to do a better job at quantifying that effect before deciding to put those things into place again. Restriction of large indoor gatherings seems like it would be the measure with the most evidence and common sense behind it, but some of the others, maybe not so much. 

I do not think we are in a place anymore where we can justify any restriction just because someone thinks it does something or wants to seem like they are doing something politically. We need much more transparency with regard to what made a difference and what didn’t. 

His logic for the law was "we have a vaccine now, so don't need any other restrictions". Except, right now only adults can be vaccinated, and we have I think less than 40% of the population vaccinated. I'm not worried for ME, because I'm vaccinated, but my kids are not - no kids are -and some are higher risk,  and I have a relative that is an organ transplant recipient who is likely not well protected by her vaccine, some elderly won't have a good immune response, etc etc. We also keep flirting around 9% positivity still. It's just too soon to make mask mandates illegal, to do away with mask requirements in all state government places, etc. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

It's also shockingly not conservative to take control away from businesses and local government, and he purports to be conservative.

Businesses are still free to implement restrictions. 

10 minutes ago, KeriJ said:

Businesses are still free to implement restrictions. 

5 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I misread the quote, but I thought I had read/heard (via news sites) elsewhere that he was banning businesses from requiring masks. 

His order bans businesses from requiring vaccines.  That's what the cruise lines are upset about.  It looks like they can still require masks though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/05/07/norwegian-cruise-florida-desantis-vaccine/

"Ron DeSantis (R) issued an executive order in March barring businesses from requiring proof of vaccinations. He signed that order into state law on Monday."

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2021/05/04/what-we-know-about-desantis-executive-order-suspending-local-covid-19-restrictions/

Can businesses still require social distancing and masks?

Yes. DeSantis made clear Monday that the executive orders apply only to local government-mandated orders, not mask requirements or social distancing policies enforced by businesses.

That means a restaurant or store can still require patrons to wear face coverings or follow other safety procedures if it wants to do so.

Edited by HeartString
corrected it
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I misread the quote, but I thought I had read/heard (via news sites) elsewhere that he was banning businesses from requiring masks. 

Businesses may not require proof of vaccination. 

3 minutes ago, HeartString said:

His order bans businesses from setting restrictions.  That's what the cruise lines are upset about.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/05/07/norwegian-cruise-florida-desantis-vaccine/

"Ron DeSantis (R) issued an executive order in March barring businesses from requiring proof of vaccinations. He signed that order into state law on Monday."

Only banning proof of vaccination requirements by businesses. 

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

We also keep flirting around 9% positivity still. It's just too soon to make mask mandates illegal, to do away with mask requirements in all state government places, etc. 

Wow. 9 percent? We're sitting at 1 percent.  I'm sorry.

2 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

India update.

Another grim day. Daily case counts 400k and the deaths per day reached 4000 for the first time. 

It is spreading to other countries, Sri Lanka, S E Asia like Indonesia and Thailand.

I have nothing good to say except hold on to hope this will end though it will tear a hole through the psyche of several nations and their diaspora. 

Please pray and send your good thoughts.  Thank you. 🙏

I'm thinking of you and all those who are suffering.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Please pray and send your good thoughts.  Thank you. 🙏

I thought it might be some small comfort to you to know that India has been frequent in the conversations, thoughts, and prayers of those I know. We have been praying in church, and among friends, my dh's company offered matching funds for donating to an organization to provide help for India, etc. I just wanted you to know that it's important to and breaking the hearts of people everywhere. The people of India are definitely not forgotten where I am right now.

• Like 7

https://www.sciencealert.com/young-adults-who-got-covid-19-show-lasting-cardiovascular-damage-in-study?__twitter_impression=true

https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1113/EP089481

“This cross‐sectional analysis revealed higher carotid artery stiffness and aortic stiffness among young adults with SARS‐CoV‐2. These results provide further evidence of cardiovascular impairments among young adults recovering from SARS‐CoV‐2 infection, which should be considered for cardiovascular complications associated with SARS‐CoV‐2.”

This is a pretty small study - I wonder if this will prove to be of concern or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

This was my reaction when I read the news.  So ironic . . .

• Like 5

A recent study by Washington University in St Louis looked at the medical records of 87,000 covid survivors (defined as having survived for at least 30 days after diagnosis) for the 6 months following diagnosis. Key findings:

(1) Survivors had a 60% increased risk of death between 1 and 6 months after diagnosis.

(2) For patients who were hospitalized, there were 29 excess deaths per 1000 patients between 1 and 6 months, and 8 excess deaths per 1000 for those who were not hospitalized. 

(3) Patients who were hospitalized with covid had a 50% higher chance of death between 1 and 6 months compared to patients who were hospitalized with influenza, as well as significantly higher rates of long-term medical complications.

“Compared with flu, COVID-19 showed remarkably higher burden of disease, both in the magnitude of risk and the breadth of organ system involvement,” Al-Aly said. “Long COVID-19 is more than a typical postviral syndrome. The size of the risk of disease and death and the extent of organ system involvement is far higher than what we see with other respiratory viruses, such as influenza.”

Article from WUSL explaining the study: https://source.wustl.edu/2021/04/among-covid-19-survivors-an-increased-risk-of-death-serious-illness/

Preprint with all the technical data here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03553-9_reference.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 10

17 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Wow. 9 percent? We're sitting at 1 percent.  I'm sorry.

Yup. But that is down from 10%...so yeah. 

But now our county mask mandate is invalid, so it will be up to individual businesses to decide if they require masking or not. And government offices are not allowed to require masks. And we are going into summer, when it is too hot to do outdoor stuff and people move indoors which can raise rates. I'm nervous. 

-edit - we are down to 7.1% positivity. 30% fully vaccinated. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 6

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

But now our county mask mandate is invalid, so it will be up to individual businesses to decide if they require masking or not. And government offices are not allowed to require masks. And we are going into summer, when it is too hot to do outdoor stuff and people move indoors which can raise rates. I'm nervous. 

I live in a very red bubble (per the NYT's bubble analysis) but it is very rare to see someone in a store without a mask. This even though we have a similar prohibition on mask mandates in TX. Yesterday I was in a busy Kroger and there was literally only one person without a mask. You might be pleasantly surprised by people's reaction even when masks aren't required. They've become the norm and most people don't want to be exposed to the new Indian or Brazilian variants or get the stink eye from everyone around them.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Corraleno said:

A recent study by Washington University in St Louis looked at the medical records of 87,000 covid survivors (defined as having survived for at least 30 days after diagnosis) for the 6 months following diagnosis. Key findings:

(1) Survivors had a 60% increased risk of death between 1 and 6 months after diagnosis.

(2) For patients who were hospitalized, there were 29 excess deaths per 1000 patients between 1 and 6 months, and 8 excess deaths per 1000 for those who were not hospitalized. 

(3) Patients who were hospitalized with covid had a 50% higher chance of death between 1 and 6 months compared to patients who were hospitalized with influenza, as well as significantly higher rates of long-term medical complications.

“Compared with flu, COVID-19 showed remarkably higher burden of disease, both in the magnitude of risk and the breadth of organ system involvement,” Al-Aly said. “Long COVID-19 is more than a typical postviral syndrome. The size of the risk of disease and death and the extent of organ system involvement is far higher than what we see with other respiratory viruses, such as influenza.”

Article from WUSL explaining the study: https://source.wustl.edu/2021/04/among-covid-19-survivors-an-increased-risk-of-death-serious-illness/

Preprint with all the technical data here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03553-9_reference.pdf

I saw this a while ago and it looked terrible 😕 . The one thing I'll say is that the average age must be high since it's the VA. Do you know what the average age was? I'm having trouble finding it. 

Masks were never required in my state and we've never had full compliance even in stores with it posted they are required at the height of things. At this point it us more rare to see people in a mask than not. I don't know of any individual businessea that require them, only chain stores. 

We are down to 4.2% positivity, ya!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chiguirre said:

I live in a very red bubble (per the NYT's bubble analysis) but it is very rare to see someone in a store without a mask. This even though we have a similar prohibition on mask mandates in TX. Yesterday I was in a busy Kroger and there was literally only one person without a mask. You might be pleasantly surprised by people's reaction even when masks aren't required. They've become the norm and most people don't want to be exposed to the new Indian or Brazilian variants or get the stink eye from everyone around them.

I am pleasantly surprised that people here are masking more than they did before. At one point, we had no mandate, so people were not masking at great rates. Then we had one, and it improved a little. I think people started masking more during the surge (but we were staying home, so I am not positive), and it seems like it's sticking around better? I don't pretend to know the psychology of the natives, lol! Never have understood it. Our state has a cases per 100,000 target to meet in order to ditch the masks, so maybe that has people motivated, though people complain rather bitterly about that target. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

My county in FL is at less than 1% positivity. Much of North Florida is lower than Central and South.

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I saw this a while ago and it looked terrible 😕 . The one thing I'll say is that the average age must be high since it's the VA. Do you know what the average age was? I'm having trouble finding it. 

I don't see an average age in the study itself, but according to this document on VA healthcare users, 21% are <45, 30% are 45-64, and 49% are 65 or older, so the average age of covid patients in VA and non-VA hospitals last year (before vaccines) may not be that different. And patients were matched for age and other demographics, so the risks were relative to others of the same age who didn't have covid or who had the flu.

13 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Thread about this from a couple of weeks ago

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/708949-another-good-reason-to-get-your-covid-vaccination/?tab=comments#comment-8952262

It’s in a VA population age ~50+ , almost all men, where they have more nursing home patients in Covid group, and no apparent comparison of pre-Covid comorbidities.

average age ~60, Interquartile 47-72 

Edit- from what I can see without delving into the entire thing again, it looks like they don’t have a fully matched cohort, either. ? Maybe someone else wants to look and give an opinion.

Edited by Penelope

Preprint but looks like a pretty good large study on post-Covid symptoms in children, from the UK. Used Zoe app data to follow kids post-diagnosis, along with a cohort who had suggestive symptoms for Covid but had a negative Covid test. 
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.05.21256649v1.full.pdf

1,734 children (588 younger children, 1,146 older children) had a positive SARS-CoV-2 test
96 result and calculable duration of illness within the study time frame. The commonest
97 symptoms were headache (62.2%) and fatigue (55.0%). Median illness duration was six
98 days (vs. three days in children testing negative), and was positively associated with age (rs
99 0.19, p<1.e-4) with median duration of seven days in older vs. five days in younger children.
101 Seventy-seven (4.4%) children had illness duration ≥28 days (LC28), more commonly
102 experienced by older vs. younger children (59 (5.1%) vs. 18 (3.1%), p=0.046). The
103 commonest symptoms experienced by these children were fatigue (84%), headache (80%)
104 and anosmia (80%); however, by day 28 the median symptom burden was two. Only 25
105 (1.8%) of 1,379 children experienced symptoms for ≥56 days. Few children (15 children,
106 0.9%) in the negatively-tested cohort experienced prolonged symptom duration; however,
107 these children experienced greater symptom burden (both throughout their illness and at day
108 28) than children positive for SARS-CoV-2.
110 Interpretation
111 Some children with COVID-19 experience prolonged illness duration. Reassuringly,
112 symptom burden in these children did not increase with time, and most recovered by day 56.
113 Some children who tested negative for SARS-CoV-2 also had persistent and burdensome illness.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/7/2021 at 5:17 PM, ktgrok said:

The mayor of St. Petersburg said he COULD sue, and would likely win, but it would cost so much, PLUS how do you get community buy in at that point, when the head of the state already undermined you. Crappy situation. Likely some will sue though. 

OUr only hope is that businesses (and their money) can sway him. 

Can you recall him? No confidence vote? Is the legislature with him or against him?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1936878X21003569

Conclusions

Cardiovascular abnormalities are no more common in seropositive versus seronegative otherwise healthy, workforce representative individuals 6 months post–mild severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection.

Objectives

The purpose of this study was to detect cardiovascular changes after mild severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2infection.

Background

Concern exists that mild coronavirus disease 2019 may cause myocardial and vascular disease.

Methods

Participants were recruited from COVIDsortium, a 3-hospital prospective study of 731 health care workers who underwent first-wave weekly symptom, polymerase chain reaction, and serology assessment over 4 months, with seroconversion in 21.5% (n = 157). At 6 months post-infection, 74 seropositive and 75 age-, sex-, and ethnicity-matched seronegative control subjects were recruited for cardiovascular phenotyping (comprehensive phantom-calibrated cardiovascular magnetic resonance and blood biomarkers). Analysis was blinded, using objective artificial intelligence analytics where available.

Results

A total of 149 subjects (mean age 37 years, range 18 to 63 years, 58% women) were recruited. Seropositive infections had been mild with case definition, noncase definition, and asymptomatic disease in 45 (61%), 18 (24%), and 11 (15%), respectively, with 1 person hospitalized (for 2 days). Between seropositive and seronegative groups, there were no differences in cardiac structure (left ventricular volumes, mass, atrial area), function (ejection fraction, global longitudinal shortening, aortic distensibility), tissue characterization (T1, T2, extracellular volume fraction mapping, late gadoliniumenhancement) or biomarkers (troponin, N-terminal pro–B-type natriuretic peptide). With abnormal defined by the 75 seronegatives (2 SDs from mean, e.g., ejection fraction <54%, septal T1 >1,072 ms, septal T2 >52.4 ms), individuals had abnormalities including reduced ejection fraction (n = 2, minimum 50%), T1 elevation (n = 6), T2 elevation (n = 9), late gadolinium enhancement (n = 13, median 1%, max 5% of myocardium), biomarker elevation (borderline troponin elevation in 4; all N-terminal pro–B-type natriuretic peptide normal). These were distributed equally between seropositive and seronegative individuals.

• Like 2

I’m not really sure what I think about relaxing mask requirements indoor.  This is a nursing home in my area:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rochesterfirst.com/news/local-news/27-residents-of-newark-clifton-springs-nursing-homes-test-positive-for-covid-19/amp/

24 out of the 27 Covid cases are fully vaccinated. The good news is they are asymptomatic and it was found through the routine testing of all residents.  The bad news is that 24 vaccinated people have Covid.

• Sad 10