Menu

What's with the ads?

gardenmom5

wuhan - coronavirus

2 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

The masks we currently wear meet EU EN149 standards.  Can anyone comment on the disclaimer on Happy Masks?  I was debating something for an in between because I just don't like a lot of the disposable masks available right now.    Happy Masks website lists the following:  *Disclaimer: Happy Masks are not devices intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease and do not meet the definition of a medical device as set forth in section 201(h) of the FD&C Act.  

I looked at the Cambridge mask...asumming it is the one with a vent, those are actually banned in a number of areas in my state because of the vents. The mask will not prevent anything you are breathing out.

A basic liability disclaimer. No one can claim to be medical grade PPE unless they meet stringent manufacturing standards and all that stuff has to be manufactured in sterile conditions.

• Like 1

Does anyone have good information on home sterilization of disposable masks.  We have been doing some internet research, but just curious if someone else is studying this.  My ds will be leaving NZ for Boston in about 6 weeks.  He has struggled with acne for years and has it under control, but I'm thinking disposable masks are the best bet. I can get surgical masks at the grocery store (on sale because no on here wants them), and the P2/N95 masks at the hardware store. He could use the surgical masks everyday, and the P2/N95 masks when on airplanes or in crowded areas he can't avoid. We are thinking he just loads up his suitcase, but it sure would be nice to be able to reuse them. We've looked into H2O2 misters (only commercial), UV light (not finding anything portable and cheap), and heat treatment in an oven (we have heard that all the dorm kitchens will be closed). So I'm open to suggestions. 

Edited by lewelma

2 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Does anyone have good information on home sterilization of disposable masks.  We have been doing some internet research, but just curious if someone else is studying this.  My ds will be leaving NZ for Boston in about 6 weeks.  He has struggled with acne for years and has it under control, but I'm thinking disposable masks are the best bet. I can get surgical masks at the grocery store (on sale because no on here wants them), and the P2/N95 masks at the hardware store. Using the surgical masks everyday, and the P2/N95 masks when on airplanes or in crowded areas he can't avoid. We are thinking he just loads up his suitcase, but it sure would be nice to be able to reuse them. We've looked into H2O2 misters (only commercial), UV light (not finding anything portable and cheap), and heat treatment in an oven (we have heard that all the dorm kitchens will be closed). So I'm open to suggestions. 

The virus deactivates with time in addition to heat, UV etc.    if he can take enough for the first week of the trip/ quarantine , he can probably bag masks in labeled bags and Day 1 masks will probably be ok again by day 8...     especially  if some sun, heat, UV could be applied (a sunny window perhaps), a cardboard box diy solar cooker with plastic wrap top and aluminum foil lined set in window sun, maybe. 

Is there any chance of an instant pot being shipped to his dorm to use for heat disinfection  (would need a container for the masks) and also food? 

Personal H2O2 spray might help—but might disintegrate the mask . Idk. 

Are you sure soap soap and water washable fabric masks would not be better and ok for acne too? 

• Like 2

@lewelma I don’t know if this actually works—it isn’t even making claims for virus, but might help along with time.    ~ $50

JS LifeStyle UV Cleaner Travel Wand 253.77nm Wavelength 4xAA Batteries Required Without Chemicals https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087MY561S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0MqaFbZGXEEYS

• Like 2

We have gotten him a special silver impregnated cloth for his violin hickey which was getting infected and bleeding. So perhaps we could find him cloth masks impregnated with silver.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lewelma said:

We have gotten him a special silver impregnated cloth for his violin hickey which was getting infected and bleeding. So perhaps we could find him cloth masks impregnated with silver.  

Does he get acne where fabric clothing touches his skin? 

How many days is he traveling? 

And once he gets to dorm quarantine can he be mask free a lot of the time?

and do you know that paper and N95 type won’t cause acne?   Maybe test that out while home? 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

All good ideas, Pen.  In the past, it is the bacteria that is trapped in razors and violin cloths that has caused the acne.  He has never worn a mask, as NZ never suggested or required them.  My dh is going to go buy some disposables today and have ds try them out. As for travelling, he won't have to wear one on the NZ flight to CA because no one will have it.  But he will wear one in the airport in CA, on the direct flight to Boston, in the Boston airport, and in the taxi to his dorm. Then he goes into quarantine for 7 days.  So he will need to wear it for 12+ hours on his trip over. As for the dorm, my understanding so far is that ds will be allowed 3 other people in his bubble of no masks.  All others at MIT that he interacts with will have to be through a mask.  So yes, I'm guessing he will be wearing one a decent amount.  However, he does study an awful lot, and that is by himself in his room.  He is not the type of student that works in groups. 

My dad just suggested a thermometer.

• Like 1

Since they are readily available where you are, enough disposable masks masks for the trip, plus enough to start school year seems like a good idea.   And he should be able to get some rewear out of them.

For daily use during the school year, a few fully washable fabric ones seem like they would be best bet not to get acne flares. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TCB said:

Those figures seem a little strange though. My state, which has got increasing numbers but not going crazy at all has a higher R0 than Arizona. How can that be?

If you’ve got one case and then you have two cases you’ll have a higher R0 than someone who had 1000 then 1,100 I think? It bounces round a lot more with low numbers.  The larger the outbreak the more stable and accurate its going to be.

lol... I think.   Keeping in mind I’ve only learned this in the last month!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, calbear said:

I looked at the Cambridge mask...asumming it is the one with a vent, those are actually banned in a number of areas in my state because of the vents. The mask will not prevent anything you are breathing out.

A basic liability disclaimer. No one can claim to be medical grade PPE unless they meet stringent manufacturing standards and all that stuff has to be manufactured in sterile conditions.

If anyone in my immediate area was actually wearing a mask I'd put a cloth mask/surgical mask over it.  I carry some in my purse at all times.  Sadly, because it's so politicized in my area I rarely see anyone with a mask anymore.  It was a big to do here because two of the city council members, that also own large restaurants/bars, wouldn't even wear masks in order to hold meetings.  They don't follow any of the opening guidelines at any of the local bars/pubs or restaurants.  They don't follow any of the requirements at any of the city buildings, nor do they at any of the local stores.  I've given up protecting people that don't have any consideration for others and now simply protect my family, which means wearing N99 whenever I'm out and have to enter a building.  Cambridge has been my go to for my family (with all my medical stuff) during flu season for a few years now.  The hospital has us put surgical masks over the N99s.

That was one of the reasons I was interested in the Happy Mask.  If people suddenly change their tune and start wearing masks I'd like something comfortable with my asthma that would protect those around me, while still being reasonable because there are seven of us.  Our numbers are climbing locally, but I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

Does anyone have good information on home sterilization of disposable masks.  We have been doing some internet research, but just curious if someone else is studying this.  My ds will be leaving NZ for Boston in about 6 weeks.  He has struggled with acne for years and has it under control, but I'm thinking disposable masks are the best bet. I can get surgical masks at the grocery store (on sale because no on here wants them), and the P2/N95 masks at the hardware store. He could use the surgical masks everyday, and the P2/N95 masks when on airplanes or in crowded areas he can't avoid. We are thinking he just loads up his suitcase, but it sure would be nice to be able to reuse them. We've looked into H2O2 misters (only commercial), UV light (not finding anything portable and cheap), and heat treatment in an oven (we have heard that all the dorm kitchens will be closed). So I'm open to suggestions. 

https://www.dhs.gov/publication/st-multicooker-decontamination-n95-respirators

Is this helpful?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lewelma said:

All good ideas, Pen.  In the past, it is the bacteria that is trapped in razors and violin cloths that has caused the acne.  He has never worn a mask, as NZ never suggested or required them.  My dh is going to go buy some disposables today and have ds try them out. As for travelling, he won't have to wear one on the NZ flight to CA because no one will have it.  But he will wear one in the airport in CA, on the direct flight to Boston, in the Boston airport, and in the taxi to his dorm. Then he goes into quarantine for 7 days.  So he will need to wear it for 12+ hours on his trip over. As for the dorm, my understanding so far is that ds will be allowed 3 other people in his bubble of no masks.  All others at MIT that he interacts with will have to be through a mask.  So yes, I'm guessing he will be wearing one a decent amount.  However, he does study an awful lot, and that is by himself in his room.  He is not the type of student that works in groups. 

My dad just suggested a thermometer.

Have you looked into your locally produced nz masks with wool?  Wool has antibacterial properties.  I’m glad you raised this.  With the outbreak in vic I’m back to thinking about what we’ll do if we get spillover here and it just occurred to me the other day that masking is going to be a problem for my 13 year old for this reason.

• Like 1

this seems like a good explanation for the rising infection rates and falling death rates currently in the US

• Like 2

2 hours ago, melmichigan said:

The masks we currently wear meet EU EN149 standards.  Can anyone comment on the disclaimer on Happy Masks?  I was debating something for an in between because I just don't like a lot of the disposable masks available right now.    Happy Masks website lists the following:  *Disclaimer: Happy Masks are not devices intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease and do not meet the definition of a medical device as set forth in section 201(h) of the FD&C Act.  

Are you talking about the German Happy Masks (apparently not good) or the Taiwanese Happy Masks (apparently good)?

45 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Have you looked into your locally produced nz masks with wool?  Wool has antibacterial properties.  I’m glad you raised this.  With the outbreak in vic I’m back to thinking about what we’ll do if we get spillover here and it just occurred to me the other day that masking is going to be a problem for my 13 year old for this reason.

Yes, my sister order some for her, and routed them through us so we could try them.  They do feel a bit like a wool scarf over your face.  🙂  I don't think they will work for him.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

yes, very.  We either need to ask if they are allowed in the dorm room, or just not ask and use one.  I know that they cannot have tea kettles or microwaves in the dorm room, but perhaps they will make exceptions for mask sterilizations.  I'm wondering if I ask. hmmmm

• Like 1

If you guys can get a pulse oximeter, I'd send him with one of those, too.  A thermometer would definitely be good.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

If you guys can get a pulse oximeter, I'd send him with one of those, too.  A thermometer would definitely be good.  

Yeah, I've seen you guys talking about them, but haven't really paid attention because we don't need them here.  But now, I'm off to go find one.  

Interestingly the N95 masks here in NZ are not available in their online stores, only in the in person stores.  My guess is that they were being sold out from international purchasers, and there are tradies here that need them.  Hence, the in store only option.  I'm curious if that is true for a pulse oximeter too. 

10 minutes ago, lewelma said:

yes, very.  We either need to ask if they are allowed in the dorm room, or just not ask and use one.  I know that they cannot have tea kettles or microwaves in the dorm room, but perhaps they will make exceptions for mask sterilizations.  I'm wondering if I ask. hmmmm

I feel like such a trendsetter, we've been sterilizing things in an instant pot for a while!

One thing I will say for Instant pot, is that you want separate silicone seals for cooking and for sterilizing, because you don't want flavors working their way into your respiratory equipment. Something that smells good for dinner, doesn't smell good when you're breathing through it for hours.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Are you talking about the German Happy Masks (apparently not good) or the Taiwanese Happy Masks (apparently good)?

The Taiwanese ones linked in this thread

Edited by melmichigan
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Yes, my sister order some for her, and routed them through us so we could try them.  They do feel a bit like a wool scarf over your face.  🙂  I don't think they will work for him.  

Of all the things I’ve tried my wool scarf was my favourite so this is good to know.  Though not sure if I’d be able to get them anyway!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Of all the things I’ve tried my wool scarf was my favourite so this is good to know.  Though not sure if I’d be able to get them anyway!

They are available online, and NZ post is now working again.  You should be able to get them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lewelma said:

Could he (dry) iron them?

• Like 2

Has anyone seen progress on the spit-PCR tests? Or the breathalyzer ones? (Israel had a breathalyzer test & Ohio State had one, I think.) Dd#1 is going to be tested at least a few times for college this fall & I'm hoping for more comfortable & more accurate tests soon. Quick & accurate would be even better. (Israel's breathalyzer was toured at 90% accurate & to take less than a minute to results.) I haven't seen anything new in a month...

• Like 1

Morning thoughts:

Empirical evidence (“anecdotal”?) rather than clinical studies was used to survive for most of human history. 

That still is significant in my relationship to the world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Has anyone seen progress on the spit-PCR tests? Or the breathalyzer ones? (Israel had a breathalyzer test & Ohio State had one, I think.) Dd#1 is going to be tested at least a few times for college this fall & I'm hoping for more comfortable & more accurate tests soon. Quick & accurate would be even better. (Israel's breathalyzer was toured at 90% accurate & to take less than a minute to results.) I haven't seen anything new in a month...

There was a UCBerkeley trial of a saliva test started a few days ago. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This article is dated today, July 5, 2020.  I am confused about the timing.  Is it the case that contact tracing is only now beginning with regard to a 21 yo university student who died of Covid19 last month?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/05/us/penn-state-student-dies-coronavirus/index.html

tested June 20, died June 30 (?) — contact tracing starts July 5 ?  It doesn’t say when positive test result was available. 

is that typical? 

Edited by Pen

18 hours ago, melmichigan said:

The German ones say right on the site they're only intended to be worn as clothing.

Happy Mask exclusively sells streetwear clothing that is not intended to be used for any other application but clothing. Happy Masks products are not personal protective equipment and should in no case be used as such or as a substitute for the former. We don't take any responsibility for damaged caused to our customers or others by any use of our products outside of the from us intended use as clothing.

17 hours ago, melmichigan said:

All of the consumer-oriented masks being sold right now carry similar disclaimers. The manufacturers understandably don’t want to take on any liability if someone contracts Covid while wearing their mask, and there’s no way anyone can guarantee they won’t (even if it was an N95 medical mask being sold to the public). The disclaimer protects them. That said, I have no idea how good the Happy Masks are or aren’t. 

14 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I keep wondering why I haven’t seen wool included in any of the mask fabric testing. It seems to me it could be a great middle or outer layer. So many properties that might make wool helpful (breathable, moisture management, anti-bacterial, temperature regulating, possibly electrostatic?). I have a number of felted wool blankets and I would sacrifice one for mask making if I had any indication it worked well as a filter layer. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pen said:

This article is dated today, July 5, 2020.  I am confused about the timing.  Is it the case that contact tracing is only now beginning with regard to a 21 yo university student who died of Covid19 last month?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/05/us/penn-state-student-dies-coronavirus/index.html

tested June 20, died June 30 (?) — contact tracing starts July 5 ?  It doesn’t say when positive test result was available. 

is that typical? 

I don't know the details of this situation, but the article states that the university "is now" contact tracing--which could have begun before today.  But, I think this points to a broader issue of the process and responsibility for contact tracing.  The individual did not live on campus; the article does not state if he was enrolled in any courses when he became ill. The individual returned home when he started feeling ill.  There is a possibility that the university would not have known he was ill. Then it becomes a question of who is responsible for contact tracing?  The state?  the local public health agency? the university?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kand said:

All of the consumer-oriented masks being sold right now carry similar disclaimers. The manufacturers understandably don’t want to take on any liability if someone contracts Covid while wearing their mask, and there’s no way anyone can guarantee they won’t (even if it was an N95 medical mask being sold to the public). The disclaimer protects them. That said, I have no idea how good the Happy Masks are or aren’t. 

I keep wondering why I haven’t seen wool included in any of the mask fabric testing. It seems to me it could be a great middle or outer layer. So many properties that might make wool helpful (breathable, moisture management, anti-bacterial, temperature regulating, possibly electrostatic?). I have a number of felted wool blankets and I would sacrifice one for mask making if I had any indication it worked well as a filter layer. 

I saw an indication of wool scarf fairly low 10-21% ? Slightly better than single layer cotton T-shirt material

felted wool supposed to be much better similar to flannel  — not sure there’s a reason to sacrifice a wool blanket as compared to a piece of flannel or other suitable filter material 

electrostatic aspect is interesting, one place I read said that with a potentially electrostatic material, rubbing mask to achieve electrostatic charge helps significantly   But I don’t know when rubbing would help more versus perhaps weakening materials 

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I saw an indication of wool scarf fairly low 10-21% ? Slightly better than single layer cotton T-shirt material

felted wool supposed to be much better similar to flannel  — not sure there’s a reason to sacrifice a wool blanket as compared to a piece of flannel or other suitable filter material 

electrostatic aspect is interesting, one place I read said that with a potentially electrostatic material, rubbing mask to achieve electrostatic charge helps significantly   But I don’t know when rubbing would help more versus perhaps weakening materials 

The wool I have is very dense, more like a thick piece of felt, yet is breathable. I have a bunch cut in pieces already because I use it for crib mattress and changing table protection when my babies are little. There of been a number of studies showing the electrostatic effect helps a lot. That’s one of the factors with commercial N95s, and also seems to be why layers of chiffon or silk in the mask significantly boosts filtration. The way wool fibers lay down in a felted material is so randomly crisscrossing that it’s why it seems like it might provide quite an effective filtration layer. I could be completely wrong on that, I would just love to see testing of it.

• Like 2

Monoclonal antibodies

https://youtu.be/WiyjIIpkIJw

3 minutes ago, kand said:

The wool I have is very dense, more like a thick piece of felt, yet is breathable. I have a bunch cut in pieces already because I use it for crib mattress and changing table protection when my babies are little. There of been a number of studies showing the electrostatic effect helps a lot. That’s one of the factors with commercial N95s, and also seems to be why layers of chiffon or silk in the mask significantly boosts filtration. The way wool fibers lay down in a felted material is so randomly crisscrossing that it’s why it seems like it might provide quite an effective filtration layer. I could be completely wrong on that, I would just love to see testing of it.

It was mentioned in a newspaper article I saw online.  Or maybe Huffington Post?  Anyway it made it seem like wool has been included in some filtration tests. 

If it’s already cut anyway, seems like it would be worth a try.   (Maybe do whatever you can think of for your own tests? Agar plate for bacteria or _____. ) 

Edited by Pen

17 hours ago, melmichigan said:

The Taiwanese ones linked in this thread

I'm not sure how I got the impressions these were Taiwanese in origin.  The company was just founded in March by Melinda Hwang, a corporate marketer turn entrepreneur from Los Angeles, California.  It's listed as a small business with 1-10 employees.  I messaged from more information as I placed an order last night. 🙂

6 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

I'm not sure how I got the impressions these were Taiwanese in origin.  The company was just founded in March by Melinda Hwang, a corporate marketer turn entrepreneur from Los Angeles, California.  It's listed as a small business with 1-10 employees.  I messaged from more information as I placed an order last night. 🙂

Made in Taiwan.  That’s fine with me. I have much more trust in Taiwan products than mainland China ones.   And Taiwan has way way way lower CV19 rates than USA

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

I messaged the company via Instagram. She responded back quickly and gave her number to directly call her. The company’s Instagram also lists her number. I placed an order a few days ago but wanted to ask them a question regarding sizing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

I messaged the company via Instagram. She responded back quickly and gave her number to directly call her. The company’s Instagram also lists her number. I placed an order a few days ago but wanted to ask them a question regarding sizing.

I don't do Instagram so I'll give her time to answer via Messenger.  I'd much rather support a small business.  I had some questions about their test results.

6 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I've been wondering this too! I hope someone will have updates.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kand said:

https://smartairfilters.com/blog/best-diy-coronavirus-homemade-mask-material-covid/

this has wool scarf material, cashmere and merino, but not felted wool

Edited by Pen

4 hours ago, Pen said:

The wool filters used in the NZ masks use a specially bred sheep that increases the electrostatic aspect.  Not just any old wool.  They were tested to be similar to an N80. The ones we found have a cotton outer that is washable, and wool filter inserts that you can use for about a week and then dispose of.  You buy the outers separate from the wool filter inserts so you can buy a pack of 10 inserts. But there are many different brands that are using the wool filter, so they have different constructions. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, lewelma said:

The wool filters used in the NZ masks use a specially bred sheep that increases the electrostatic aspect.  Not just any old wool.  They were tested to be similar to an N80. The ones we found have a cotton outer that is washable, and wool filter inserts that you can use for about a week and then dispose of.  You buy the outers separate from the wool filter inserts so you can buy a pack of 10 inserts. But there are many different brands that are using the wool filter, so they have different constructions. 

This? It looks like it would be very nice for longer term use during the academic year!

and in winter if it gives some warmth that would also be a plus 

I wonder if the filters can be heat or UV disinfected for longer use.  

2 hours ago, Pen said:

This? It looks like it would be very nice for longer term use during the academic year!

and in winter if it gives some warmth that would also be a plus 

I wonder if the filters can be heat or UV disinfected for longer use.  

https://www.meoair.com/

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 6:38 PM, calbear said:

I contacted Cambridge Mask.  They now ship a valve deactivator with all new masks in response to COVID.  I requested some for the masks I already own, and was assured they come with all new orders.  I don't currently feel the need to go that far and am comfortable wearing a regular mask over the Cambridge when the situation arises.

The response from Happy Mask was awesome!  I look forward to trying out their product as well.  Thanks for sharing the information.

Edited by melmichigan

1 minute ago, melmichigan said:

I contacted Cambridge Mask.  They now ship a valve deactivator with all new masks in response to COVID.  I requested some for the masks I already own, and was assured they come with all new orders.

The response from Happy Mask was awesome!  I look forward to trying out their product as well.  Thanks sharing the information.

My dd has a Cambridge mask and also just got a Vogg mask, which is similar but I think N95 rather than 99.  She says the Vogg is easier to breathe in - she has recently apparently been some places that don't allow the valves, so she put tape over it!  She said the Vogg is still easier, even with tape.

I just got a Vogg too; my other kid who's been wearing them for ages for allergy reasons jumped on a batch they released for ordering and got one for each family member.  I have a huge face, apparently, and got an XL based on measurements, but I think an L would have fit. (also ordered a large-size Happymask).  The ears don't adjust on the Vogg for some reason and without tightening those it was a bit big, but I found I can clip the two ear loops behind my neck with a paperclip and then it fits great.

11 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

My dd has a Cambridge mask and also just got a Vogg mask, which is similar but I think N95 rather than 99.  She says the Vogg is easier to breathe in - she has recently apparently been some places that don't allow the valves, so she put tape over it!  She said the Vogg is still easier, even with tape.

I just got a Vogg too; my other kid who's been wearing them for ages for allergy reasons jumped on a batch they released for ordering and got one for each family member.  I have a huge face, apparently, and got an XL based on measurements, but I think an L would have fit. (also ordered a large-size Happymask).  The ears don't adjust on the Vogg for some reason and without tightening those it was a bit big, but I found I can clip the two ear loops behind my neck with a paperclip and then it fits great.

Back when I first started wearing masks Vogg didn't cover viruses, and there was a disclaimer on their site to that effect.  I believe that has changed.  My biggest hang up is the washing instructions:  

No frequent washing (normally is less than 1 x per month).

No submersion, rinse only

Edited by melmichigan

5 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

Back when I first started wearing masks Vogg didn't cover viruses, and there was a disclaimer on their site to that effect.  I believe that has changed.  My biggest hang up is the washing instructions:  

No frequent washing (normally is less than 1 x per month).

No submersion, rinse only

It still says no viruses and such, but as noted elsewhere, I think they all have to say that unless they're medical grade.  Liability.

33 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

It still says no viruses and such, but as noted elsewhere, I think they all have to say that unless they're medical grade.  Liability.

When you test the two Vog gets stuck on particulate so it's left with the N95 rating.  The Cambridge Pro is treated with silver and reaches the N99 including virus and bacteria.  At that point it's getting into such fine delineations that it's all dependent on fit in my mind.  You have to go with what fits you the best and is the most comfortable so that you will wear it correctly.  I like all the adjustments on the Cambridge Pro because I have a small face for an adult.  I wear the alternative band instead of the ear loops, and have to use the adjustment straps on the cheeks to get the sides to tighten correctly.