Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

ABC:

The UN says, for the first time, COVID-19 has been confirmed in a crowded civilian protection camp in South Sudan's capital, a worrying development in a country that is one of the world’s least prepared for the virus’s spread. 

The UN is aware that the health ministry and World Health Organization have confirmed the two cases in the camp in Juba.

The health ministry's emergency preparedness manager, Dr Mathew Tut, said the two infected people were South Sudanese and in their 20s. South Sudan was one of the last countries in Africa to confirm a case of the disease and now has 174.

As of mid-April more than 190,000 people were still sheltering in several UN-run civilian protection camps across South Sudan, more than a year after a peace deal ended a five-year civil war. Nearly 30,000 are sheltering in Juba.

The prospect of the coronavirus's spread to refugee and displaced persons' camps in Africa, the Middle East and Asia has alarmed health and other aid officials as often remote locations, travel restrictions and shortages of medical supplies make any containment and treatment extremely challenging.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

22 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

There are people living in tents along the river near me because their house burned down in the bush fires. Apparently a town approx 90 km east of me has 75 families living in tents because most of the town burned down

Wow.  I feel like this is something I should know but didn’t.  I really hope there some progress on unlocking the funding from the bushfire fundraising soon.  Maybe even to supply on site caravans or something.  Sad how much this has dropped out of the news lately.

in terms of COVID I don’t know if tent living is the worst but in terms of coming into winter it doesn’t sound nice.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Pen said:

I’m not sure what is kept or for how long.  I would think a fair bit might still be available from post Mortem, pathology, or lab test samples.    Especially for cases that stumped doctors in hospitals. 

The news specifically said that samples were no longer available. So a failure to look ahead to potential need?  Or because they weren’t looking for cases that far back it just wasn’t on their radar. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joker said:

I don’t even know anyone who’s tested positive and for sure no one who has died.

And it’s odd since our family and friends are so spread out. I actually had a BIL and nephew in China and they returned on New Years. I do know a couple that was on the California cruise ship and they were quarantined on a military base. But I know no one who has tested positive.

Similar here.  The closest I know is a facebook friend (whom I haven't met IRL) who has an elderly colleague who had been hospitalized but pulled through.  (I hope it stays that way.)  I don't even recall anyone being sick enough to stay home from work in the past several months.

Here teachers will wind up eating lunch in the classroom supervising our students if they have to eat in room. There’s no one else to do it.

We can’t have our windows open all winter or teach classes outside- it’s below freezing most of our school year! 
And we have been told to expect many staff jobs cut state wide due to budget problems from Covid so we will have less teachers next year.

Edited by Hilltopmom

6 hours ago, StellaM said:

I suppose the staggered lunch hours for the kids creates de facto staggered lunch times for teachers, resulting in smaller groups in the staffroom at any one time, but to me that would mean teachers having room to sit at a distance from one another, not all crammed up together in the middle of the big table.

I knew it was going to be like that, which is why I ate outside in the sunshine - Vit D AND away from other people's germs. 

So how does it work with classes of half the students? Who is teaching the other half? Are they doing on/off days, or are support staff teaching their own classes now? 

I'm trying to picture how it'll be here in the fall, if we go back. We do not have any spare rooms except the cafeteria, gym, and art room. One teacher per grade, and a handful of support staff. We've talked a bit about art teacher, gym teacher, etc. teaching reading/math.... which seems really unfortunate for them to have to potentially not teach their own subjects. 

p.s. I'm jealous that you can go back!!!

On 5/7/2020 at 1:23 PM, vonfirmath said:

That's when I was there (aldine school district) 1977-1987

Good ol’ HISD for me. I started K in ‘77 in a classroom (indeed school) without AC. Fortunately, I was in the morning class — it was much more tolerable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SKL said:

Similar here.  The closest I know is a facebook friend (whom I haven't met IRL) who has an elderly colleague who had been hospitalized but pulled through.  (I hope it stays that way.)  I don't even recall anyone being sick enough to stay home from work in the past several months.

An old friend in Washington's father has died of coronavirus.  A former member of our sunday school is currently recovering from coronavirus (her husband works in a prison so she said they expected they'd get it). The brother of one of the minecraft youtubers I watch quite a bit had it.

I've known several people who died in the last 6 weeks. None advertised as from coronavirus. Two very longtime (And old -- both in their 90s) members of our congregation. My sister's husband's uncle (in his 70s I believe) And a good friend's father (60s or 70s. Still very active and spry. This was a heart attack likely caused by the stress of needing to put his college classes online)

• Sad 2

I am not aware of anyone I know of directly and personally who is dead or confirmed infected with CV19.

Several of my elder type relatives do. (And none are from nursing homes.) Several of my physician relatives do. A relative who lives in Spain does.  Friends in New York do.  Locally I have been told that our state’s listing of cases by zip code is inaccurate. People I know in one zip code that lists zero say that there are people in their zip code they know have CV19, but who are being counted as in the zip code of the hospital where they went to be tested, rather than the residence zip code.  That may be true elsewhere also, that official counts by location may be off due to people being counted in location tested which may be different than where they usually lived, shopped, etc. 

I know a couple of people who I am pretty sure did have it, but weren’t confirmed cases. 

• Like 2

My daughter's boyfriend's father was a confirmed case.  More than likely dd's boyfriend and possibly dd have had it as well.  Both had something with similar symptoms.  

The nursing home where I lot of people died and bodies were being stacked up was one I used to work at.   We've had deaths at a fireman's home in our zip code and a few members of our old church.  

Around here, most people know someone who's had it and many know someone who died.  

Israel update:  New cases dramatically down, 13 in last 24 hours  Total of 16539 cases, 262 deaths.  There has been a gradual reopening since mid-April that accelerated about 10 days ago (when some kids went back to school) and numbers have continued to decline, but we're far from out of the woods yet.  And every official and expert says that a second wave is inevitable, the only question is when and how well the country will respond to it.    The hope is that any future closures would be much more localized.

I am finding it very difficult to evaluate personal risk right now.  In some ways it was easier when we all had to stay inside.

• Like 7

My cousin’s husband (60) spent 13 days on a vent and a school friend (55) spent a month on a vent (in rehab now). My dd’s professor’s SIL had it and now needs a liver transplant. Those 3 are in 3 different countries.

• Sad 8

We have only recently had more available testing in my state. 

My husband's coworker tested positive (early 60's). She was in the ICU, and our state was testing ICU people at that time. She's finally home, but still recovering. My husband was not considered at risk, as they were auditing in different places at the time she was infectious. 

My husband's cousin got it during a trip from TX to FL. He was hospitalized as well, and he is in his 40's.

I only know of a brother of my friend directly outside of that. 

There has been such limited testing and is no communication about positives beyond the raw number here--it makes it hard to know how much risk there is in various activities. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 3

We know people that have tested positive. They all live less than hour's drive of us. I don't have details about how sick they got or their recovery.

Dh has a friend who's uncle (60's) tested positive and will likely pass from it this week.

Ds#2 mows the lawn for a family that the mom (late 50's) tested positive this week.

Ds#4 had a friend on a rival sport's team whose mom (early 60's) test positive and was hospitalized for a week.  A mutual friend told me.

Ds#5 has a teammate (age 10) that tested positive and so did both parents (mid 30's) The grandpa told us.

I'm not on social media, if I was it might increase the amount of people that I know.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

My IgG antibody test came back today: negative. However, it was the LabCorp test, which has no accuracy information available yet, and my GP says she does think I've had Covid19. She's prescribing a nasal steroid as a last "let's go ahead and make sure we can say we tried everything reasonable at this level." She's putting in an order for a chest CT scan, and is referring me to a pulmonologist, who should call me by the end of the week. She warned me that the pulmonology people will have a squillion questions regarding both Covid19 risk and environmental triggers (no, I don't have a new pet/carpet/soap...).

Things that were already tried and did not give any sustained improvement: albuterol, wixela, azithromycin, claritin, prednisone, cough suppressant pearls. And of course I take vitamins C and D3--for all I know, I might've been worse without them, especially being indoors so much.

She also instructed me to up my water intake further (I'm going to turn on my phone's every-30-minute chimer) and to go for walks even if I have to pause because of the coughing, to support my general well-being. All my other blood work (liver function, inflammation, etc.) came back normal.

Today is day 67 of my cough with movement/exertion, and my heart rate is at times higher than it should be for sitting on my backside doing nothing, but my temperature has not been elevated in the last 10 days at all. My pulse ox reads 99, as always. ETA: I actually had DH put it on to see what he would get. 97.

You know, when I was born, after "It's a girl," the next thing said about me was, "Well, the lungs work!"

I had the Abbott Lab test.  Supposedly quite accurate. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

My IgG antibody test came back today: negative. However, it was the LabCorp test, which has no accuracy information available yet, and my GP says she does think I've had Covid19. She's prescribing a nasal steroid as a last "let's go ahead and make sure we can say we tried everything reasonable at this level." She's putting in an order for a chest CT scan, and is referring me to a pulmonologist, who should call me by the end of the week. She warned me that the pulmonology people will have a squillion questions regarding both Covid19 risk and environmental triggers (no, I don't have a new pet/carpet/soap...).

Things that were already tried and did not give any sustained improvement: albuterol, wixela, azithromycin, claritin, prednisone, cough suppressant pearls. And of course I take vitamins C and D3--for all I know, I might've been worse without them, especially being indoors so much.

She also instructed me to up my water intake further (I'm going to turn on my phone's every-30-minute chimer) and to go for walks even if I have to pause because of the coughing, to support my general well-being. All my other blood work (liver function, inflammation, etc.) came back normal.

Today is day 67 of my cough with movement/exertion, and my heart rate is at times higher than it should be for sitting on my backside doing nothing, but my temperature has not been elevated in the last 10 days at all. My pulse ox reads 99, as always. ETA: I actually had DH put it on to see what he would get. 97.

You know, when I was born, after "It's a girl," the next thing said about me was, "Well, the lungs work!"

We have had a couple of patients who have tested negative but present like Covid and have ground glass opacities. It may well be false negative, however one Dr wondered about a different but similar strain/virus. 

• Like 3

I was just reading an article about how the approach to putting Covid patients on ventilators has changed and it made me wonder how many lives that may have saved. Which led me to then wonder how many lives may have been saved by slowing the spread down enough so that less people got sick and got put on ventilators early on before the management changed.

• Like 12

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.11.088500v1

a hypothesis about the possible cause of the blood clotting complications 

“Abstract

Accumulating clinical observations suggest pathogenesis beyond viral pneumonia and its secondary consequences in COVID-19 patients. In particular, many patients develop profound hyperinflammation and hypercoagulopathy with disseminated thrombogenesis and thromboembolism, which we observe also in a Swedish COVID-19 intensive care patient cohort. To understand these vascular manifestations, it is important to establish the potential vascular entry point(s) of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, i.e. which vascular cell types express the SARS-CoV-2 receptor ACE2. We present data that ACE2 is specifically and highly expressed in microvascular pericytes, but absent from endothelial cells, perivascular macrophages and fibroblasts. Mice with pericyte ablation show increased expression and release of Von Willebrand Factor from microvascular endothelial cells, suggesting that pericytes orchestrate thrombogenic responses in neighboring endothelial cells. Identifying pericytes rather than endothelial cells as the ACE2-expressing cells in the vasculature may explain why hypertension, diabetes and obesity are risk factors for severe COVID-19 patients, as these conditions are characterized by an impaired endothelial barrier function, allowing SARS-CoV-2 to reach and infect the pericytes that are normally shielded from the blood behind an intact endothelial barrier. This novel COVID-19-pericyte hypothesis is testable, offers explanations for some of the most enigmatic and lethal aspects of COVID-19 and calls for further investigations into the possible benefits of preventive anticoagulant therapy.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

https://amp.smh.com.au/world/north-america/wuhan-lab-phone-records-show-possible-shutdown-in-october-20200510-p54rid.html?__twitter_impression=true

not sure how much credibility this has but Sydney morning herald are reasonable usually I think

“Washington: US intelligence agencies are reportedly examining mobile phone data suggesting there could have been an emergency shutdown in October at the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

According to a report, obtained by NBC News, there was no mobile phone activity in a high-security part of the Chinese laboratory complex from October 7 to 24. Previously, there had been consistent use of mobile phones.

The Wuhan Institute of Virology: Australian intelligence officials have no evidence suggesting it is the likely source of the virus.

The report, carried out by private experts, suggested there may have been a "hazardous event", specifically at the institute's National Biosafety Laboratory, between October 6 and 11. Analysis of mobile phone data from around the institute also suggested roadblocks were in place between October 14 and 19.

Experts urged caution, suggesting the report may be based on limited commercially available mobile phone data, and that there could be other reasons for varying levels of phone usage.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

NZ opens up today. 

Business: All businesses are allowed to operate as long as they can meet social distancing rules of 1 meter.  If they can't (hairdressers, chiropractors, etc) then they must use PPE which is available to them through the government, and follow strict cleaning rules. Pools, badminton halls, libraries, etc will be open but with numbers limited to size of facility with social distancing. 

Schools: All schools will open Monday. The Ministry of Education is currently working with schools to lay out individualized plans.

Social: Five categories have been used.

1) If the goal is to stay with your own group and not interact with other groups (movies, restaurants, etc). These can open.  Group size restricted to 10, but the facility can have as many people as allowed under social distancing rules. So you could have 100 people in a movie theater because the individual groups don't desire to interact with other groups, and they will be socially distanced. 

2) If the goal is to socialize/interact with friends or acquaintances. (Churches, Weddings, birthday parties, etc). Group size restricted to 10. This means that churches can't open (unless for just 10 people) because the goal is to be *with* others and interact/socialize with them.  The churches are on board with this. 

3) If the goal is to socialize with strangers (bars). These are currently forbidden. When they open next week, they must follow the 3S rules: patrons must be seated, separated, and single server. Group size restricted to 10, but bars themselves can have multiple groups as long as 3S rules are followed.

4) Sports: Contact sports restricted to 10. Non-contact sports require social distancing. 

5) Funerals are a separate group because these life events cannot be delayed.  Group size restricted to 50, but with VERY strict social guidelines in place.  Things like no food or drink, staggered viewing, social distancing, etc.

One more thing:

The entire public has been asked to keep track of who they are in contact with. And all stores, cafes, restaurants, etc must keep a register of all people who are in the facility each day.  With a strict disposal schedule of 3 weeks. 

These policies will be reviewed in 2 weeks. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Some restaurants and bars have opened here.  We haven't gone.  But in a few weekends, the weekend after Memorial Day, we will be traveling to the beach and need to get food. I am not sure what we will do.  But we are going o a state park beach which will be a lot less crowded.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Some restaurants and bars have opened here.  We haven't gone.  But in a few weekends, the weekend after Memorial Day, we will be traveling to the beach and need to get food. I am not sure what we will do.  But we are going o a state park beach which will be a lot less crowded.

If you're really worried, bring fixings to make PB & J and fruit.  Or, MREs!!

I would worry more about touching the wrappers and dishes from carry out than any actual food ordered, bring your own plates and bring water to wash with and hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

[W]e will be traveling to the beach and need to get food. I am not sure what we will do.  But we are going o a state park beach which will be a lot less crowded.

We typically have to bring food everywhere--you can just pack a cooler as if restaurants are Not a Thing, if you prefer. Freeze some grapes, fill up the water bottles with ice water, gather up some fruit and sandwiches or other lunch stuff.

• Like 3

Abc
Brazil has registered a record number of new cases of coronavirus, bringing its total count to nearly 190,000 infections.

The country has now surpassed France to become the sixth worst hit country in the world.

Some 13,000 people have died.

The economy ministry has predicted the Brazilian economy will contract by 4.7 per cent this year — the biggest annual fall since records began more than a century ago.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

So unemployment figures came in from April and surprisingly are only up 1per cent.   The true extent of the issue is probably somewhat worse as a lot of people are only employed thanks to the job keeper payment and many are working reduced hours.  Also apparently a lot of people stopped actively applying for work so don’t count.  Maybe that’s due to being higher risk or something I’m not sure or just figuring it’s not worthwhile.

My county had its first no-new-cases day in 2 months! And our district attorney published a letter stating he would not enforce our stay at home order. Sigh.

Personal stats:
Friend from co-op tested positive 
My aunt’s new husband died, positive
Family friend died, positive
Family friend’s granddaughter tested positive
Cousin-in-law’s father tested positive and was in ICU
My grandmother died, don’t have full details yet
Multiple FB acquaintances (known irl) have lost people who’ve tested positive
Just learned a man I used to volunteer with in the community died, status unknown
My kids know people who work in the open stores who’ve had coworkers test positive

It’s a lot to wrap one’s mind around, and it’s a lot when I see videos of people in other areas walking around like normal. I mean, I get that their experience is different but I also know that I would have taken measures to avoid the whole thing (well, to the extent within my personal control) before it had a chance to take hold if I had been warned. (Mostly because I did before it was mandatory even though people thought I was crazy.) It just feels like living in a parallel universe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 19

Good grief, Carrie, that's a terrible list.  I am so sorry about your grandmother.

I have two friends who were confirmed to have it, both have recovered.  A friend of a friend is also positive but is so far doing OK.  My son's friend's grandfather died as did the grandfather of one of DH's students.  A good friend of DH's has symptoms and is awaiting a test.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, lewelma said:

NZ opens up today. 

Business: All businesses are allowed to operate as long as they can meet social distancing rules of 1 meter.  If they can't (hairdressers, chiropractors, etc) then they must use PPE which is available to them through the government, and follow strict cleaning rules. Pools, badminton halls, libraries, etc will be open but with numbers limited to size of facility with social distancing. 

Schools: All schools will open Monday. The Ministry of Education is currently working with schools to lay out individualized plans.

Social: Five categories have been used.

1) If the goal is to stay with your own group and not interact with other groups (movies, restaurants, etc). These can open.  Group size restricted to 10, but the facility can have as many people as allowed under social distancing rules. So you could have 100 people in a movie theater because the individual groups don't desire to interact with other groups, and they will be socially distanced. 

2) If the goal is to socialize/interact with friends or acquaintances. (Churches, Weddings, birthday parties, etc). Group size restricted to 10. This means that churches can't open (unless for just 10 people) because the goal is to be *with* others and interact/socialize with them.  The churches are on board with this. 

3) If the goal is to socialize with strangers (bars). These are currently forbidden. When they open next week, they must follow the 3S rules: patrons must be seated, separated, and single server. Group size restricted to 10, but bars themselves can have multiple groups as long as 3S rules are followed.

4) Sports: Contact sports restricted to 10. Non-contact sports require social distancing. 

5) Funerals are a separate group because these life events cannot be delayed.  Group size restricted to 50, but with VERY strict social guidelines in place.  Things like no food or drink, staggered viewing, social distancing, etc.

One more thing:

The entire public has been asked to keep track of who they are in contact with. And all stores, cafes, restaurants, etc must keep a register of all people who are in the facility each day.  With a strict disposal schedule of 3 weeks. 

These policies will be reviewed in 2 weeks. 

That seems ridiculous and anti-Christian that they allow movie theatres, but not churches.  Pretty sad state of affairs that churches are on board with this plan.  The Detroit area has been hard hit, but, thankfully, even here our Archbishop will start reopening Catholic Churches will start reopening the 19th with social distancing between family groups/masks at a capacity based on the size of the building....I believe 25%.  Our church has more seating capacity than most movie theatres I have been to in recent years.  People will likely be dismissed by row and not allowed to stand around and talk afterwards.  Masses outside are also encouraged so that the parish doesn’t have to clean as much.  Going to Mass is not just attending some social club and has more meaning than just going to interact with friends.

https://wreg.com/news/shelby-county-schools-details-potential-fall-school-plans/

Local school district (Memphis). The focus here has always been to increase time at school and services. When I worked in the district, that included before and after school programs, food support, medical care and dental care in cooperation with community partners, etc. So this is a big deal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

My county had its first no-new-cases day in 2 months! And our district attorney published a letter stating he would not enforce our stay at home order. Sigh.

Personal stats:
Friend from co-op tested positive 
My aunt’s new husband died, positive
Family friend died, positive
Family friend’s granddaughter tested positive
Cousin-in-law’s father tested positive and was in ICU
My grandmother died, don’t have full details yet
Multiple FB acquaintances (known irl) have lost people who’ve tested positive
Just learned a man I used to volunteer with in the community died, status unknown
My kids know people who work in the open stores who’ve had coworkers test positive

It’s a lot to wrap one’s mind around, and it’s a lot when I see videos of people in other areas walking around like normal. I mean, I get that their experience is different but I also know that I would have taken measures to avoid the whole thing (well, to the extent within my personal control) before it had a chance to take hold if I had been warned. (Mostly because I did before it was mandatory even though people thought I was crazy.) It just feels like living in a parallel universe.

Oh wow that’s rough 

I’m sorry about your grandmother 

On 5/13/2020 at 6:51 AM, SKL said:

I live in the Detroit area which was hit pretty hard and I still only know one person who has died.  Alas, he had pretty much everything going against him.  He was recently diagnosed with fairly advanced stomach cancer and caught corona at the hospital since the doctor decided to continue his chemotherapy.  His wife and family also were positive.  The kids were fine, his wife is home after a brief stay in the hospital and is recovering.  Beyond that my daughter worked with one priest in the Archdiocese on an AHG project who was hospitalized at the very beginning with coronavirus and recovered and a friend of mine’s in-laws were positive (the FIL has ALS so they were worried), but I don’t think they were hospitalized and they both are recovered.

• Like 1

Personally and professionally I know multiple people who have been diagnosed with CV. At least five of my personal contacts (to include co-workers who are also friends) have been positively diagnosed  with CV, though fortunately none have been hospitalized. All of the people I know professionally (i.e., patients) have been admitted from the ERs. 

There are currently 22 medics in my system who are on mandatory quarantine. So far, three of them have tested positive. 

• Sad 5