Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

My DW said they are out of stock on a lot of things. Probably the factories are closed, etc. No Peanut Butter. No Chocolate Ice Cream of the brand I like. Importantly, Toilet Paper and Meat and most things are available here, but not the normal selection. A lot of bare shelves here too apparently...

I don’t know if this would be true there, but here things seem to come and go.  So one day maybe no _____ (bananas, potatoes,)  but on another trip there’s plenty of those and instead no _____ (ice cream of flavors and brands usually liked, favorite brand peanut butter)...       (we discovered a new brand and flavor of ice cream we like...) 

• Like 4

Exciting hints at a new small study about to be released in Nature by folks using Leronlimab in NYC.  Speaking very non-technically, it is an anti-cytokine storm drug, as reported by Dr. Yo who was in on the conference call.  The researchers are calling this a RANTES disease, similar in some ways to HIV.  

No adverse effects in previous HIV trials, and the improvements in COVID 19 patients were demonstrated through normalization of lab values, not just by "how do you feel."  

Here's a layperson's article: https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/leronlimab-pro-140-treat-covid-19-coronavirus-3535182/ 

I've been watching Dr Mike Hansen and Dr Yo,  along with EMCrit and MedCram.  I can't wait for MedCram to do a video on this.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Acadie said:

Study of data from Wuhan and Shanghai shows closing schools can reduce peak incidence of coronavirus cases by 40-60%. Children are 3 times less susceptible to infection as adults, BUT they have about 3 times more social contacts than adults when school is in session, which essentially evens out the risk.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/05/04/science.abb8001.full

I wonder if the Aus government will talk about this study 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

This is so horrible.  I'm kinda thinking maybe humanity as a species doesn't deserve to survive.  Giant asteroid for 2020?

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

Meanwhile, yet more incidents of this kind...

My conclusion is that we need to be very aware and stay safe while going out because this pandemic is bringing out the ugly side of the human species.

https://abc7.com/coronavirus-in-the-us-covid-19-update-news/6150389/

“DETROIT -- A woman, her adult son and husband have been charged in the fatal shooting of a security guard who refused to let her daughter enter a Family Dollar in Michigan because she wasn't wearing a face mask to protect against transmission of the coronavirus.

Calvin Munerlyn was shot Friday at the store just north of downtown Flint a short time after telling Sharmel Teague's daughter she had to leave because she lacked a mask, according to Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton.”

• Sad 5

https://apple.news/A3pfvOzeqTTGE_pf47oJLBg

more of a human interest story in some ways but raises some valid questions

If we open up before the public are ready to go out and re engage with the economy we may actually risk causing more harm to businesses instead of helping them.

the quote from a bar owner says basically if they open up and don’t get full capacity it will cost too much.  If there’s a second wave and they had to close again they would probably shut the doors forever.

this fits with what the prime minister was talking about yesterday.  Businesses are telling him they don’t want to be opening and re closing.  They want to open from a point of certainty that they will be able to remain open.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Earlier today, my news feed had links claiming that a new mutation (don't know if they are talking about this mutation or one of the 17 other mutations) shows that coronavirus is weakening and that is what seems to have happened to the SARS virus as well. Googling now leads me to NY Post while I saw more on this at 8:00 AM today. https://nypost.com/2020/05/05/new-mutation-indicates-that-coronavirus-might-be-weakening-study/

A mutation in the novel coronavirus mirrors a change that occurred in the genetically similar SARS virus in 2003 — indicating that the bug might be weakening, researchers announced in a newly published study.

There are too many confusing speculations from scientists as well at this point.

This sounds promising.

I keep puzzling over what happens if you have a virus that doesn’t build long term herd immunity and why we haven’t had a Coronavirus that’s wiped out humanity before now if that’s a thing.  But maybe the ones that can mutate enough to jump from animals mutate enough to die out eventually?  Maybe this virus really will just go away at some point.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This sounds promising.

I keep puzzling over what happens if you have a virus that doesn’t build long term herd immunity and why we haven’t had a Coronavirus that’s wiped out humanity before now if that’s a thing.  But maybe the ones that can mutate enough to jump from animals mutate enough to die out eventually?  Maybe this virus really will just go away at some point.

That is what I was thinking for a few hours today until there was the most recent news blast about the virus mutating to a deadlier version. This virus is so bizarre that even epidemiologists are confused and the media writers are running with every single version of the story :sad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Acadie said:

Study of data from Wuhan and Shanghai shows closing schools can reduce peak incidence of coronavirus cases by 40-60%. Children are 3 times less susceptible to infection as adults, BUT they have about 3 times more social contacts than adults when school is in session, which essentially evens out the risk.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/05/04/science.abb8001.full

This modeling is interesting, though I don't completely understand. From the link: 

We find that social distancing alone, as implemented in China during the outbreak, is sufficient to control COVID-19. While proactive school closures cannot interrupt transmission on their own, they can reduce peak incidence by 40-60% and delay the epidemic.

I think they are saying that the number of cases remains the same with school closings, but the curve is more spread out. Am I understanding that right? 

Also, it seems that the children's exposure was typically from the adults in their home. It's good to see evidence that children are much less susceptible; most of what I have seen is anecdotal on that front too. I look forward to more studies that might try to determine if children transmit the virus at the same rate as adults. On that front, only 1 out of 126 index cases was in the 0-14 age group. That does again fit with the theory that kids are not transmitting at the same rate as adults.

4 hours ago, Pen said:

I wonder if Michigan people have particular problems from brain damage perhaps due to lead or other pollution. 

Some people (regardless of location, country) do not do well in isolation. The ones I know are likely to self harm and attempt suicide 😞 they have been inpatient before. 
Luckily there isn’t any mass stabbing or mass shooting during this pandemic other than Canada’s (https://apnews.com/aeec329e92569a7b1bbdc44bc6aa2fa2). 

• Sad 2

Background on the Neil Ferguson who did much of the modeling for the U.K. and contributed to US modeling

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/six-questions-that-neil-ferguson-should-be-asked 

Btw he has now been removed because he broke social distancing to be with a married woman ......easiest not behind a paywall is here,  quotes The Telegraph

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/scientist-whose-doomsday-models-prompted-worldwide-lockdown-broke-quarantine-bang-married

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Some people (regardless of location, country) do not do well in isolation. The ones I know are likely to self harm and attempt suicide 😞 they have been inpatient before. 
Luckily there isn’t any mass stabbing or mass shooting during this pandemic other than Canada’s (https://apnews.com/aeec329e92569a7b1bbdc44bc6aa2fa2). 

There was also one in WA here - fifo worked who had stopped taking antipsychotic medication 

• Sad 2

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-australia-victoria-records-spike-in-covid-19-cases-as-those-linked-to-cedar-meats-grows-c-1019363.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Meat plant outbreak in Vic is still growing.  We  are also back above r0=1

I have some concerns still that the drop in cases wasn’t really reflective of a drop in community growth just stopping the imports.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Coronavirus isolation leads to rise in brutality of domestic violence attacks

ABC News

Hospital emergency departments are reporting an increase in significant injuries related to domestic violence, with concerns coronavirus social distancing is making matters worse for many people, Queensland's Health Minister Steven Miles says. "I've been disturbed to hear from our emergency department staff that the reduction in sporting injuries and road trauma has been partially offset by trauma caused by domestic and family violence," he said."Of course that's terribly disturbing for the people affected and for our hospital staff who deal with the aftermath of it.
"Anything we can do to address this increase in domestic and family violence during this pandemic, I think is really important."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I think that’s where NZs bubble concept is so valuable.  I’m not sure how well it could be implemented in the US though.

• Like 1

@Ausmumof3 The most critical (high chance of self harm) of my friends are not in US. They are ok if they go out to grocery shop or buy cooked food often. However people can be so reprimanding/condescending and making comments about not buying groceries online and staying home. If someone needs to go to 7-eleven everyday for example to feel normal, then leave them be. 

Edited by Arcadia
my quote of your post dissappeared
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@Ausmumof3 The most critical (high chance of self harm) of my friends are not in US. They are ok if they go out to grocery shop or buy cooked food often. However people can be so reprimanding/condescending and making comments about not buying groceries online and staying home. If someone needs to go to 7-eleven everyday for example to feel normal, then leave them be. 

Yep.  I used to know someone like this.  After she had her first baby she used to go to the shopping centre and buy coffee and just sit with the baby in the pram to feel like she had people around her.  It’s very easy for those of us who are introverts to underestimate this stuff (although introverts can also become mentally unhealthy without social contact.  In some cases worse because during normal times normal life demands forces a bit of social interaction whereas now there’s not that impetus so easy to go down into your own world).

• Like 2

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-05/mutant-coronavirus-has-emerged-more-contagious-than-original?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

More on the new strain.  I’m wondering if it’s possible that the virus may be mutating to be far more contagious but less lethal than the original strain which is why we’re seeing lower IFRS than Wuhan.

that said we don’t know for sure how reliable to WuhAn stats are either.

this also is raising the possibility that those infected with one strain may not have immunity to the other due to the change in the spike protein thingY.  (Which i think is what the antibodies are responding to).

I don’t know if anyone knows more about how likely that is.

Edited by Ausmumof3

Another hot topic:  particularly in young people, chillblains on the feet, now being called "Covid Toes".   

Today's coverage in the NYT -- of this (toes), stats on schoolchildren getting it, etc., Kawasaki's-like illness in children with COVID -- has been tremendously helpful.  

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 2

Meanwhile, Dr Chant said there was no link between NSW's two biggest coronavirus outbreaks, despite two healthcare workers who boarded the Ruby Princess cruise liner entering Anglicare's Newmarch House aged care home two days later.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-06/coronavirus-cases-in-nsw-rise-by-nine/12216782

really?  We have an outbreak linked to a cruise ship.  We have a second outbreak of unknown origin in an aged care home.  We have health care workers that have been in both places two days apart.  But we don’t think there’s a link.  How realistic is that?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-australia-victoria-records-spike-in-covid-19-cases-as-those-linked-to-cedar-meats-grows-c-1019363.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Meat plant outbreak in Vic is still growing.  We  are also back above r0=1

I have some concerns still that the drop in cases wasn’t really reflective of a drop in community growth just stopping the imports.

I fear that our turn is still to come. We are mostly always a few months behind the rest of the world in everything 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mathnerd said:

That is what I was thinking for a few hours today until there was the most recent news blast about the virus mutating to a deadlier version. This virus is so bizarre that even epidemiologists are confused and the media writers are running with every single version of the story :sad:

Unfortunately it looks like this was a case of poor journalism

“NO NY POST, OUR STUDY DID NOT CONCLUDE THIS!!!! THIS IS A COMPLETE MISREPRESENTATION OF OUR WORK.
New mutation indicates that coronavirus might be weakening, study says nypost.com/2020/05/05/new… via @nypost“

This was a tweet from one of the guys who claims to be on the study (haven’t had time to check it out yet)

And more from the same guy

The takeaway is that one virus had a large deletion which demonstrates that it is possible for the virus to transmit without having complete portions of its genetic material. This was 1 virus and we do not suggest that this means a ‘weakening’ of any kind.

• Thanks 6

@JennyD@Ausmumof3

don't know if this has been posted already for Israel 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethcohen/2020/05/05/israel-just-announced-a-major-coronavirus-antibody-breakthrough-heres-why-thats-reason-to-be-optimistic/#157662f55ba4

“Claiming a major breakthrough in coronavirus research, on Tuesday researchers in Israel confirmed that they have made significant progress in isolating an antibody that could be used to treat those sickened by coronavirus. Although the antibody has not been tested on animals or humans, it appears to meet three key clinical components necessary for a viable treatment, giving hope that the development of a treatment could be shortened substantially.

The research, announced by the Israel Institute of Biological Research, purports to meet three key parameters. First, the antibody is monoclonal, which means it specifically does not have harmful proteins that would otherwise make the antibody difficult to use. Second, the antibody is able to neutralize the coronavirus. Third, given the various mutations of the virus worldwide, the Israeli antibody was specifically tested against the aggressive strain of the coronavirus. Israeli researchers claimed in a statement that “as far as we know, according to comprehensive scientific publication from around the world, the Biological Research Institute is the first in the world to achieve this breakthrough in these three parameters at the same time.”

While the timeline for further development wasn’t confirmed, the next steps in the antibody research will be to move from Petri dish testing to animals and eventually humans, all which take meaningful amounts of time. Nonetheless, in a global race to find medical interventions for the deadly coronavirus, the Israeli announcement fuels optimism that progress can be made at against the novel virus at a rapid pace. The Biological Research Institute remained cautious of the timeline, however, acknowledging in its statement: “This is an important milestone, but afterwards comes complicated tests and a process of getting regulatory approval. Per an assessment by the institute’s scientists, this technological breakthrough is poised to shorten the process, which will go on for several months.””

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think that’s where NZs bubble concept is so valuable.  I’m not sure how well it could be implemented in the US though.

It certainly **could** do.   

If people would do. 

• Like 2

this thread is also really interesting with relation to the mutation in the spike protein.  If I understand correctly, With the current mutation they are studying antibodies should still be able to detect the new form fairly effectively meaning reinfection with the new strain after recovering the old strain shouldn’t happen.  There is surveillance being done on any new strains emerging and work on drugs that will help if it changes in a way that the antibodies can’t recognise it.  It’s worth reading if you have time.

12 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@JennyD@Ausmumof3

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethcohen/2020/05/05/israel-just-announced-a-major-coronavirus-antibody-breakthrough-heres-why-thats-reason-to-be-optimistic/#157662f55ba4

“Claiming a major breakthrough in coronavirus research, on Tuesday researchers in Israel confirmed that they have made significant progress in isolating an antibody that could be used to treat those sickened by coronavirus. Although the antibody has not been tested on animals or humans, it appears to meet three key clinical components necessary for a viable treatment, giving hope that the development of a treatment could be shortened substantially.

The research, announced by the Israel Institute of Biological Research, purports to meet three key parameters. First, the antibody is monoclonal, which means it specifically does not have harmful proteins that would otherwise make the antibody difficult to use. Second, the antibody is able to neutralize the coronavirus. Third, given the various mutations of the virus worldwide, the Israeli antibody was specifically tested against the aggressive strain of the coronavirus. Israeli researchers claimed in a statement that “as far as we know, according to comprehensive scientific publication from around the world, the Biological Research Institute is the first in the world to achieve this breakthrough in these three parameters at the same time.”

While the timeline for further development wasn’t confirmed, the next steps in the antibody research will be to move from Petri dish testing to animals and eventually humans, all which take meaningful amounts of time. Nonetheless, in a global race to find medical interventions for the deadly coronavirus, the Israeli announcement fuels optimism that progress can be made at against the novel virus at a rapid pace. The Biological Research Institute remained cautious of the timeline, however, acknowledging in its statement: “This is an important milestone, but afterwards comes complicated tests and a process of getting regulatory approval. Per an assessment by the institute’s scientists, this technological breakthrough is poised to shorten the process, which will go on for several months.””

Thanks - this is much clearer than the jpost article about what has actually been achieved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yep.  I used to know someone like this.  After she had her first baby she used to go to the shopping centre and buy coffee and just sit with the baby in the pram to feel like she had people around her.  It’s very easy for those of us who are introverts to underestimate this stuff (although introverts can also become mentally unhealthy without social contact.  In some cases worse because during normal times normal life demands forces a bit of social interaction whereas now there’s not that impetus so easy to go down into your own world).

It’s getting worse in a variety of ways....causing more devastating neurological and circulatory damage (in addition to pulmonary) and probably renal failure, maybe hepatic too...   so far as cases I have been hearing about.  Take that as just opinion. Can’t give good links.  

3 hours ago, Plum said:

Dh was talking with someone who had it and they said their taste buds changed. He began to experiment. Vegetables and whole foods tasted normal. Fast food varied significantly depending on quality. McD tasted synthetic along with their fries. JackITB he couldn’t finish. Five Guys was fine. Pizza had the same variations. The more fresh and higher quality the more normal it tasted. 
That’s so weird. I’ve read about losing taste but not taste changing like that. He was running a fever so maybe that altered his taste? 

That’s fascinating!

Btw: Any change in sense of smell? Or just taste?

I know smell change hasn’t been reported, but just wondering. 

In a way it seems like he had heightened ability to perceive the fake nature of processed food.    ???? 

Edited by Pen

35 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@JennyD@Ausmumof3

I am sorry to say that I am skeptical about the timing of this news, at least.  I have no doubt that this research institute -- among many others -- is working hard on finding an antibody, but the Defense Minister's announcement of a 'major breakthrough' just happens to coincide with what appears to be a serious push by said Defense Minister to get the newly opened job of Health Minister in the new government.  I'd love to be wrong, obviously.

Edited by JennyD
  • Sad 1

Also in Israel news, this interview with an Israeli epidemiologist goes into some of the likely reasons why Israel's death toll has been so low (demographics, basically) and also highlights how dangerous and fragile the current situation here -- new cases low and falling fast but things opening up -- is.

We will have to adapt to a different way of life.

Truly, none of us has experience with that. We don’t know exactly what is needed. We know in theory, but we don’t know if the level of contact we are attempting right now is too much or too little. 

Israel is also going to do antibody testing.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think Rosie is in Vic?  Might just be us?  There’s one other lady who used to be here years ago but I don’t think she is now.  

Oh yeah, Melbourne maybe.  

Anyway, congratulations! 🎊🎈🎉 

I would think it should feel better to start doing things now!

(does it? )

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/researcher-on-verge-of-making-very-significant-virus-findings-shot-to-death/2285190/

“A medical researcher said to be on the "verge of making very significant" coronavirus findings was found shot to death over the weekend in Pennsylvania, officials said.

Bing Liu, 37, a researcher at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, was found dead Saturday inside a home in Ross Township, north of Pittsburgh, the Allegheny County medical examiner said.

He had been shot in the head and the neck, the agency said. His death remains under investigation at this time.

"Bing was on the verge of making very significant findings toward understanding the cellular mechanisms that underlie SARS-CoV-2 infection and the cellular basis of the following complications," the school said. "We will make an effort to complete what he started in an effort to pay homage to his scientific excellence."”

• Sad 9

11 hours ago, Pen said:

I don’t know if this would be true there, but here things seem to come and go.  So one day maybe no _____ (bananas, potatoes,)  but on another trip there’s plenty of those and instead no _____ (ice cream of flavors and brands usually liked, favorite brand peanut butter)...       (we discovered a new brand and flavor of ice cream we like...) 

I was telling my husband why I bought a white soap bar---- it was to use in sewing masks and marking on a dark red fabric.  That is what the lady at the sewing machine store recommended as a substitute because all their light colored marking materials were sold out but I didn;'t mention that to dh at first  He remarked "why didn't I use get a taylor's chalk?"  I have been trying to explain to him that there are shortages or shipment disruptions of all sorts of things-  including white or light marking pens, chalk, etc,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Plum said:

Dh was talking with someone who had it and they said their taste buds changed. He began to experiment. Vegetables and whole foods tasted normal. Fast food varied significantly depending on quality. McD tasted synthetic along with their fries. JackITB he couldn’t finish. Five Guys was fine. Pizza had the same variations. The more fresh and higher quality the more normal it tasted. 
That’s so weird. I’ve read about losing taste but not taste changing like that. He was running a fever so maybe that altered his taste? 

This is what happened when I lost mine with the flu (still don’t have it back 6 years later). For me, Chick fil A is the worst. According to my ENT it’s way more common with flu and severe colds than people realize but I guess with this virus it’s getting a lot at attention. I always just say I lost my taste and smell but it’s really that I lost what it used to be and it’s been replaced by something not good. Although there are only two foods that still taste normal to me so not as many as your friend. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Joker said:

This is what happened when I lost mine with the flu (still don’t have it back 6 years later). For me, Chick fil A is the worst. According to my ENT it’s way more common with flu and severe colds than people realize but I guess with this virus it’s getting a lot at attention. I always just say I lost my taste and smell but it’s really that I lost what it used to be and it’s been replaced by something not good. Although there are only two foods that still taste normal to me so not as many as your friend. 

This happened to my mother as well, when I was a child.  It was a cold or flu, I can’t recall which, and 35 years later she still doesn’t have much sense of smell.  She can taste, but it is different.  I was under the impression that it’s not terribly unusual.  Though it seems to have a higher rate with Covid-19.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Plum said:

Same with my mother. She lost her sense of smell and never got it back. 
I found what tasted good and what didn’t to be the most interesting part. He could eat tacos from one fast food restaurant and not from another. It wasn’t the combination of ingredients it was more about quality. 
As far as I know he got his full sense of taste back and never lost smell. 

Thanks.  I was wondering if smell might have been like taste where he could perceive the non natural odors like the non natural flavors. 

I have that with many commercial fragrance products, where instead of some supposedly pleasant odor created in a lab to please people and sell products, I experience odors more like disgusting petrochemicals or pool cleaners or what not. 

• Like 2

Am I reading the news right this morning? NYC is *just now* cleaning its subway trains with any kind of regularity???

This and the orders to put positive cases in nursing homes....NY officials have a lot to answer for.

• Like 3

Evidence Linking Ultraviolet-B (UVB) Radiation to Deaths Attributed to COVID-19
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3586555#.XrK4CC3Jebh.twitter
“we find that a (permanent) one-unit increase in UVI leads to a 2.2% [p-value is less than 0.01] decrease in COVID-19 deaths (per day) as well as a 1.9% [p-value is less than 0.05] decrease in case fatality rate (per day).”

They also discuss a possible link to vitamin D. UVI is UV Index.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

This happened to my mother as well, when I was a child.  It was a cold or flu, I can’t recall which, and 35 years later she still doesn’t have much sense of smell.  She can taste, but it is different.  I was under the impression that it’s not terribly unusual.  Though it seems to have a higher rate with Covid-19.

It's getting attention with COVID19 just because they are still collecting data on possible symptoms.  So any new symptom is noted.  When they first reported it though there were lots of quotes from doctors that this was not a unique symptom to this virus but one shared with other viruses as well.  But it was new to the list and since (as far as I know?) this virus has more asymptomatic spreaders who have only this as a symptom it gains more importance as a way to track those spreaders. 

• Like 4

My concept of "tailgating" has changed.  I am in an area that had fairly extreme lockdown measures.  Shopping areas are beginning to open and take out food is now allowed.  I went to the shopping center and saw people sitting on their cars eating the slices of pizza and sandwiches they had bought as take out.  It was lovely weather and an interesting site.  

• Like 3

My center is reopening next week for planned classes. They sent some photos of appropriate distancing set ups. I'm staying online, since I can't teach piano 6 feet from the kids, but I thought ya'll might find it interesting

CD3A5681-526B-442A-85C8-1866397F81BF.jpeg

C599F0BD-2EB1-4181-A0FC-5C13E887B973.jpeg

7D9BAAE0-42DA-4724-B88B-73E2A903076F.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, EmseB said:

Am I reading the news right this morning? NYC is *just now* cleaning its subway trains with any kind of regularity???

This and the orders to put positive cases in nursing homes....NY officials have a lot to answer for.

This is true of most public transport systems.  *Don't read while eating*  The buses here were previously only deep cleaned every 45 days.  I think the trains were similarly really bad.  With the new "stepped up protocols" high touch surfaces were being wiped down daily.  Considering how many people use the services in a given day, there's no way that's sanitary.  I always think of Sheldon and his "bus pants" (Big Bang Theory). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This is true of most public transport systems.  *Don't read while eating*  The buses here were previously only deep cleaned every 45 days.  I think the trains were similarly really bad.  With the new "stepped up protocols" high touch surfaces were being wiped down daily.  Considering how many people use the services in a given day, there's no way that's sanitary.  I always think of Sheldon and his "bus pants" (Big Bang Theory). 

Right, but I guess I would think that the deep cleaning would have been initiated 2 months ago at the latest. How is this just happening now?

• Like 3