Menu

What's with the ads?

gardenmom5

wuhan - coronavirus

“Countries like Taiwan [were] very fast to ban the exportation of masks,” Simon Evenett, international trade professor at the University of St. Gallen in Switzerland, said. “And then countries like Korea, likewise.” Evenett is founder of Global Trade Alert, a program to monitor global protectionism, which tallied the accelerating trend of COVID-19 medical export restrictions.

Individual governments have defended decisions to keep medical equipment at home, arguing they must take care of their medical workers and patients first. However, the rules have canceled some deliveries to needy countries. At one point, a French producer of masks entered into an export contract with the British government.

“Then the French government put in place what’s called a requisition order,” Evenett said. “Anything produced in a French factory has to be sold to the French government. So the French company had to call the British health service and say ‘We can’t deliver these millions of masks any more.'”

The Czech Republic also banned exports of masks. According to Evenett, Germany even intercepted a shipment of Chinese-made masks bound for Switzerland.

“They were just trans-shipping through Germany, and they got caught up in this,” he said. “The Swiss went ballistic. And they called in the German ambassador and really gave him a telling off. The last I heard they were still in Germany.”

In all, Evenett found governments placed 46 different export controls on coronavirus-related safety supplies and machines this year. Thirty-three limits were approved in March alone.

Two weeks ago, the European Union agreed to a cease-fire — kind of. It allowed buying and selling of face shields, protective garments, masks and gloves inside the EU but not outside.

“We need to keep in the EU the protective equipment we need,” Ursula von der Leyen, head of the European Commission, said in an online video message March 15. “Such medical goods can only be exported with the explicit authorization of the EU governments.”

The policy, while not an outright ban, in reality means “extra hurdles, extra steps,” Chad Bown, trade scholar and senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, said.

Economic nationalism and hoarding aren’t new, Bown said. Many countries limited exports a decade ago when they faced critical grain shortages. To Bown, these decisions are understandable, yet could lead to unintended consequences.

“I think that’s a very natural first response,” Bown said. “The problem is, it only takes into consideration what I’m doing today. It doesn’t take into consideration the fact that everybody else could do the same back to me. In which case, we’re all ending up worse off.”

Romania stopped exporting ventilator hoses
Every country for itself doesn’t just cut off international shipments; it can gum up the global supply chain for, say, ventilators. At one point in the crisis, Romania stopped exporting hoses for ventilators until manufacturers cried foul. Bown worries that more of this could happen as trade walls go up and countries retaliate.

“The trade war experience of the last two years between the United States and China provide an important lesson for how quickly trade restrictions can escalate once they get started,” Bown said.

The biggest losers in a globalized world? The poorest countries that don’t make anything, Evenett said.

“It’s quite possible these countries are never going to get their hands on high-end medical ventilators. So what we are doing? We are condemning lots of people to a painful and horrible death.”

https://www.marketplace.org/2020/03/30/countries-race-to-limit-ban-exports-of-masks-ventilators-other-gear/

export-curbs-st-gallen.jpg

piie-chart-medical-good-list-.jpg

piie-poor-countries-chart.jpg

Edited by Plum
  • Thanks 1

From Google https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/

“As global communities respond to COVID-19, we've heard from public health officials that the same type of aggregated, anonymized insights we use in products such as Google Maps could be helpful as they make critical decisions to combat COVID-19.

These Community Mobility Reports aim to provide insights into what has changed in response to policies aimed at combating COVID-19. The reports chart movement trends over time by geography, across different categories of places such as retail and recreation, groceries and pharmacies, parks, transit stations, workplaces, and residential.”

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd@Plum 

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/monterey-county-library-uses-3d-printers-to-make-n95-masks/2266756/

“The Monterey County Library system's two 3D printers are being used to produce protective N95 masks while all of the system's branches are closed due to the novel coronavirus outbreak, the county said Thursday.

The two printers are producing the hard plastic masks around the clock to support first responders and medical professionals who are dealing with the pandemic's ongoing surge in cases. Each mask takes just over three hours to make and is designed to be worn multiple times by the same person.

Before being repurposed, the printers were generally used to produce supplies for the library system's maker program. Library officials also plan to use them to make doorknob covers that will help prevent the spread of germs and no-sew masks that can hold medically safe air filters.”

One of the magnet extension programs here had 3D printers they sent home with some students so they could make masks. I know there is a maker shop here with multiple 3D printers making masks and a couple of other groups. All hands on deck. Yay! 3D printing!

Edited by Plum
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Plum said:

One of the magnet extension programs here had 3D printers they sent home with some students so they could make masks. I know there is a maker shop here with multiple 3D printers making masks and a couple of other groups. All hands on deck. Yay! 3D printing!

You could probably contact the librarian in charge for the 3D printing files 

Hillary Theyer

Monterey County Free Libraries

(831) 883-7573

theyerha@co.monterey.ca.us.

Apparently, NZ is making N95 masks out of sheep's wool. That did give me a smile this morning. And we are apparently exporting because we have 80million masks in our reserves (surgical and N95) , and are making more than we need. 

Most of the world is dependent on China for its air filter media for all of its masks and we've been making an indigenous supply of filter media based on what we grow here in New Zealand, " said Nick Davenport, chief executive officer of Lanaco. The company's making N95 respirator face masks using specially developed New Zealand sheep wool. 

They've had inquiries from around the globe, including the US, Hong Kong and Australia. With demand so high, they're ramping up production from 400,000 N95 masks a month to 1.5 million.

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Cuomo mentioned today that there are very few non-COVID patients left in the NY hospitals. That's almost certainly partially because car accidents and other outdoor issues are down, and partially because people are not seeking medical care. Here's Josh Marshall's take: 

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/all-covid

• Like 3

PA’s governor has asked all Pennsylvanians to wear cloth face coverings when out doing their essential business.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Apparently, NZ is making N95 masks out of sheep's wool. That did give me a smile this morning. And we are apparently exporting because we have 80million masks in our reserves (surgical and N95) , and are making more than we need. 

Most of the world is dependent on China for its air filter media for all of its masks and we've been making an indigenous supply of filter media based on what we grow here in New Zealand, " said Nick Davenport, chief executive officer of Lanaco. The company's making N95 respirator face masks using specially developed New Zealand sheep wool. 

They've had inquiries from around the globe, including the US, Hong Kong and Australia. With demand so high, they're ramping up production from 400,000 N95 masks a month to 1.5 million.

Sheep wool masks sound lovely, especially for winter. 

I wish USA would get NZ masks.  I don’t trust China ones not to be virus laden. 

Maybe a new thing to write my elected representatives about!

Edited by Pen
  • Like 5

@TCB@square_25@mathnerd@gardenmom5

https://www.bigcitieshealth.org/press-release-publichealth-leaders-openletter

Nearly 30 of the Nation’s Largest Public Health Departments Launch Ad Campaign Urging People to Stay Home

Big Cities Health Coalition, NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, and Santa Clara County Public Health Department partner to launch awareness-raising campaign in newspapers across the U.S. to help fight coronavirus

WASHINGTON, D.C., NEW YORK CITY, SANTA CLARA COUNTY - Today, the Big Cities Health Coalition (BCHC), the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Santa Clara County Public Health Department, along with 27 other BCHC member health departments—the largest and most urban in the country, who have been hit earliest by the coronavirus pandemic—shared an open letter in newspapers across the country to urge residents to stay at home.

The letter, published in the Chicago Tribune, East Bay Times, El Diario, Houston Chronicle, Mercury News, New York Times, New York Daily News, New York Post, San Francisco Chronicle, Seattle Times (publication date: April 6) and the Wall Street Journal, notes that the United States has not seen a public health threat like this in more than 100 years. It makes clear that the best course of action is a shared commitment to adhering to the preventative measures put forth by public health leaders—washing your hands, social distancing and most importantly: staying at home.

“We know it is hard,” said Dr. Oxiris Barbot, New York City’s health commissioner, and co-author of the letter. “We know that connection to and within our communities are some of the best things about our day-to-day lives but for now staying physically apart is the absolute best thing we can do for our friends, our family and our neighbors. The difference this will make will save lives.”

“When we ask people to stay home, we don’t take it lightly,” said Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara County health officer, public health director, and chair of the Big Cities Health Coalition. “We understand many people cannot work from home and are suffering from real impacts to their livelihood. Right now, we all need to reduce the number of people with whom each of us comes in contact. We each have a part in slowing the spread of this virus.”

The letter was signed by health officials from public health departments serving nearly 62 million residents.

“The signers of this letter represent decades of leadership and experience in the field of public health,” said Chrissie Juliano, executive director, Big Cities Health Coalition. “We at BCHC could not be more proud of the work they are doing to protect the health of their communities. Following the stay home directive is crucial. It keeps those that are well, well, keeps resources available for those that are sick and helps us to not overwhelm our health care system.”

Read the full text of the letter here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

GARLIC?

I think someone raised garlic some pages back?

It isn’t listed in my best herbal antiviral book as being active against coronavirus or having been helpful for SARS1, afaik.  It at least certainly isn’t listed as an herb to particularly consider for coronavirus. 

Ribivarin pharmaceutical antiviral was apparently also only minimally effective, so something, whether herb or pharmaceutical being “antiviral” does not mean it will be effective against all virus forms. 

Contra Costa County, California https://cchealth.org/press-releases/2020/0403-Contra-Costa-Health-Confirms-COVID-19-Outbreak-at-a-Senior-Facility.php

“Contra Costa Health Services today confirms an outbreak of COVID-19 at a facility that houses seniors in Contra Costa County.

At least 27 people have tested positive so far in connection with the outbreak. No deaths have been reported as of Friday morning.”

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Pen said:

I think vitamin D could help hugely “all other things being equal” and doing other things that would tend to stop the spread— Stay Home Stay Safe ; distance of at least 2 meters when Stay Home isn’t possible; ...     I’m certainly going to keep taking my D3 as I expect it might well make a difference between being able to survive or not if I do become exposed.  At the same time, I am doing what I can not to be exposed (or if I should happen to have been exposed and be an asymptomatic carrier the same precautions would also help to not expose others ). 

Using Sun to make D also depends on the body having cholesterol to convert into D (I wonder if some places push to “lower cholesterol intake” or perhaps lack of cholesterol containing foods due to culture or poverty would affect making D even if there’s enough sun), and the body has to be able to do the metabolic conversion from skin cholesterol plus sun (probably plus other needed cofactors too) to build Vitamin D.   Even with enough sun apparently many older people no longer metabolize D well. And apparently some younger people also have less good D creating metabolism even if they have the nutritional building blocks and adequate sun.

Vit D has another feature -- fat cells love it and grab it, taking it out of circulation.  This is one of the reasons people are asked to maintain a healthy weight....their Vit D will circulate rather than be stored.

Edited by HeighHo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

Vit D has another feature -- fat cells love it and grab it, taking it out of circulation.  This is one of the reasons people are asked to maintain a healthy weight....their Vit D will circulate rather than be stored.

Interesting. Thanks, I did not know that! 

• Like 2

Did we already discuss this?

“China Gave Faulty, Contaminated Covid-19 Equipment to Several Countries

List of countries complaining about protective equipment, testing kits, and medical devices from China”

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, Pen said:

Interesting. Thanks, I did not know that! 

I know people keep circulating memes about gaining a ton of weight and eating junk food but she is right, this is the best time to eat as clean as possible and liberate some fat cells 🙂

Or in my case, work hard at lowering the autoimmune issues and inflammation I’ve been suffering from for years.  Hence the beets, collards, and tofu sautéed in coconut oil and curry powder.  Yummy!38AB92AF-614D-4343-BEF8-04D46E65D2FA.thumb.jpeg.ba9c11bf9e7cd5ba7bd1604faaadb242.jpeg

If these pathogens and syndromes want to kill me I’m not going easily 😙

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

Did we already discuss this?

“China Gave Faulty, Contaminated Covid-19 Equipment to Several Countries

List of countries complaining about protective equipment, testing kits, and medical devices from China”

Yeah, Spain, Italy, and a few others.. maybe Finland? Had major issues with tests and equipment shipments. 

• Like 1

Prayers please.  In addition to the other stuff I mentioned above my son's (whom some of you have heard his exploits on here) best friend abruptly is coming to stay with us for an undetermined amount of time.  His mother has mental health issues and his coming home from school just blew up.  His father is recovering from cancer (and is not 100% either in MH) and although he can go there he really wants to stay with us.  They've been thick as thieves since they've both been released from school (mine senior year, him freshman year).  He's a good kid but another kid in our little condo makes seven.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 13

6 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I know people keep circulating memes about gaining a ton of weight and eating junk food but she is right, this is the best time to eat as clean as possible and liberate some fat cells 🙂

Or in my case, work hard at lowering the autoimmune issues and inflammation I’ve been suffering from for years.  Hence the beets, collards, and tofu sautéed in coconut oil and curry powder.  Yummy!38AB92AF-614D-4343-BEF8-04D46E65D2FA.thumb.jpeg.ba9c11bf9e7cd5ba7bd1604faaadb242.jpeg

If these pathogens and syndromes want to kill me I’m not going easily 😙

That sounds lovely. If only I didn't have to make the trade between ordering food online and not going out and getting veggies... it's been a while since I've been able to grab veggies from Whole Foods. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Pen said:

President of US has just invoked his Emergency Defense powers to try to stop 3M from exporting its PPE. (According news flash  up till at least a few minutes ago it has been exporting most of what it produces—and isn’t producing enough even if it were not exporting most) 

Just got news flash a few minutes ago

Watch the daily White House briefings which is where all this information is being given.  Yesterday they talked about 3m and other companies who are still exporting and what needs to be do to prioritize who gets what and when and where.  Other countries are sending us supplies.  Russia just sent US a huge planeload of medical supplies.  US already had commitments to sent out supplies to italy and other countries which were honored, instead of stopped.  Lots of data from scientists and the covid task force. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, square_25 said:

That sounds lovely. If only I didn't have to make the trade between ordering food online and not going out and getting veggies... it's been a while since I've been able to grab veggies from Whole Foods. 

I’m heading out to fresh thyme in a little bit, I’m trying to keep it to twice a week.  Our fridge can’t hold more with the quantities we shop for, but my exposure walking past people with some space around me seems pretty minimal.

If you had to use public transit that would be a bigger worry.  I think some of these places will do delivery still, especially the smaller organic chains?  At least curbside pickup?

The nice things about the herbs, green leafies, nightshades, and colorful roots is they tend to keep well for almost a week.  Mushrooms are the only thing I’m finding really doesn’t want to make it past 3 days, so I’m buying the dried ones off the Internet.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’m heading out to fresh thyme in a little bit, I’m trying to keep it to twice a week.  Our fridge can’t hold more with the quantities we shop for, but my exposure walking past people with some space around me seems pretty minimal.

If you had to use public transit that would be a bigger worry.  I think some of these places will do delivery still, especially the smaller organic chains?  At least curbside pickup?

The nice things about the herbs, green leafies, nightshades, and colorful roots is they tend to keep well for almost a week.  Mushrooms are the only thing I’m finding really doesn’t want to make it past 3 days, so I’m buying the dried ones off the Internet.  

We don't need to use public transit, but stores are still pretty dense. I just don't want to deal. And I haven't found people making too many deliveries around here other than WF, but I should probably look more. 

Interesting, I haven't had trouble with mushrooms lasting. We've definitely eaten them a week after we got them. I mostly get shiitakes right now, but that was true for oyster mushrooms, too. 

Edited by square_25

3 hours ago, Eliana said:

A local reporter did a summary: https://sccinsight.com/2020/04/01/where-do-we-go-from-here-new-research-and-studies-suggest-next-steps-for-fighting-covid-19/ of several recent papers (includes full text as well)

This is interesting! 

(It fits my sense of what is true, but for which I had no study or anything to verify.)  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

Some good news after the deluge of bad news:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/trial-drug-covid-19-ubc-1.5519348

The University of British Columbia announced Thursday that an international team led by Dr. Josef Penninger has found a potential drug that helps block infection from the virus that causes COVID-19.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 10

25 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Unless things have changed, I suspect you will find Fresh Thyme empty of people.  Especially this time of the evening.  

You know what, I wonder if it might be an idea to do some sort of group shop for our area.  Particularly for places like Fresh Thyme, since there's only the one, or Jungle Jims, since they are down in Cincy, or Costco, I think there's only one of those too.  I mean, there are limits for some things, but like for me, I don't need TP right now, but might need Costco cheese next week.  I could pick up TP while there for cheese for whoever might need tp.  Or whatever.  

This is my state...smdh.  Thankfully, it seems to be a minority but still...🤬 this is a freaking elected official 🤬

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/coronavirus/article241743721.html

Earlier this week, Republican Rep. Heather Scott, who lives in Bonner County, sent out a newsletter via her legislative account using an official “State of Idaho Idaho Legislative Update” template, titled “The Virus that Tried to Kill the Constitution — COVID, The Constitution and Cause for Concern.” ...

“The lying Trump-hating media, who continues to push global and socialist agendas, has told us there is an emergency and it is a pandemic,” Scott says in the video.

“Across the country we have governors who are shutting down economies, they’re shutting down businesses, they’re shutting down our elections. And right before our very eyes, society is just stopping,” Scott continued.

“Our governor, the Idaho governor, has bought into his frenzy and has issued in an edict, or an order, stating that all Idahoans need to stay in their homes for 21 days, and only essential businesses can be operating,” she said.

In her newsletter, Scott stated the path chosen by the governor is “unconstitutional, un-American, and not the Idaho way.”

She said that while there is a real illness affecting the world, it is up to each American to be responsible for their actions and behavior — but Idahoans “cannot allow the crumbling of laws and Constitutions to go unchecked.”

• Confused 4
  • Sad 7

😡Fremont, California 
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/04/03/four-fremont-teens-arrested-for-local-crime-spree-school-vandalized-homes-burglarized/

“Four teens have been arrested for allegedly going on a crime spree that included vandalizing an American High School classroom and committing several residential burglaries, authorities announced late Thursday night.

All four juveniles were interviewed and released to their parents with officers requesting criminal charges for several counts of burglary, attempt burglary, possession of a firearm, and vandalism.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Are you buying fresh loose whole mushrooms? I find that if I buy portobello I can keep them for about a week. I keep them unwashed in a mesh bag until use.  If you are worried about contaminating your fridge, keep a bit of brown paper bag under them. 

@mathnerd@Pen 😧
https://abc7news.com/health/coronavirus-stanford-team-has-grim-forecast-for-shelter-in-place-future/6074566/

“SANTA CLARA COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- As the Bay Area heads into another weekend of sheltering-in-place due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, many folks are asking how much longer will it take before restrictions are lifted. That's one of the questions that a Stanford research team set out to answer by developing an interactive tool that models the spread of COVID-19 over time with interventions such as quarantine and social distancing.

"We estimate that shelter-in-place would have to remain in place for about five months or more in order to actually completely suppress the epidemic," said Stanford biology professor Erin Mordecai.

Using data from the global MIDAS network, Mordecai says we're beginning to see some of the positive effects of social distancing in Santa Clara County. However, lifting interventions too early could lead to a second outbreak. With that said, more widespread testing could lead to better contact tracing.

"That would allow us to concentrate the intervention on just the people that are infectious at any given time, and allow other people to maybe not fully go about their normal lives, but at least be able to get a little more social contact and get back out into the world a little more," said Mordecai.”

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd@Pen 😧
https://abc7news.com/health/coronavirus-stanford-team-has-grim-forecast-for-shelter-in-place-future/6074566/

“SANTA CLARA COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- As the Bay Area heads into another weekend of sheltering-in-place due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, many folks are asking how much longer will it take before restrictions are lifted. That's one of the questions that a Stanford research team set out to answer by developing an interactive tool that models the spread of COVID-19 over time with interventions such as quarantine and social distancing.

"We estimate that shelter-in-place would have to remain in place for about five months or more in order to actually completely suppress the epidemic," said Stanford biology professor Erin Mordecai.

Using data from the global MIDAS network, Mordecai says we're beginning to see some of the positive effects of social distancing in Santa Clara County. However, lifting interventions too early could lead to a second outbreak. With that said, more widespread testing could lead to better contact tracing.

"That would allow us to concentrate the intervention on just the people that are infectious at any given time, and allow other people to maybe not fully go about their normal lives, but at least be able to get a little more social contact and get back out into the world a little more," said Mordecai.”

I suspected this was the case already ... 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

Russia just sent US a huge planeload of medical supplies. 

Because, of course, they don't have an outbreak! If Putin says it, there must not be :-P. 

Russian leaders are not knowing for valuing the lives in their populations... 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

No idea. Friends there are puzzled too. The elderly would just say PM allow so they can go. 

Same deal here.  Except hair cuts have to be limited to 30 minutes.  Which is just plain bizarre.

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Are you buying fresh loose whole mushrooms? I find that if I buy portobello I can keep them for about a week. I keep them unwashed in a mesh bag until use.  If you are worried about contaminating your fridge, keep a bit of brown paper bag under them. 

I’ve just been buying the plastic wrapped big pack at the grocery store.  I think they’re brushed off but not washed??  Good tip, I’ll look for the loose ones instead next time.

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’ve just been buying the plastic wrapped big pack at the grocery store.  I think they’re brushed off but not washed??  Good tip, I’ll look for the loose ones instead next time.

I also buy loose ones and they seem to last a while. 

Stanford started a Santa Clara County serosurvey today. I'm not sure what test they're using, though, or what the turnaround time on the results will be.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lewelma said:

I have been wondering about wool as home made mask material.  I’ve seen comparisons on cotton etc but nothing with wool.  Felting can tighten the weave a lot but might be too hard to breathe through.  But I’m assuming there’s some kind of process involved in the “specially developed” part.  I saw the wool markets here have taken a dive due to the impact on high end fashion so would be fabulous if it could be turned to a different use.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Mushrooms here are always sold with Brown paper bags.  Plastic makes them go off really quick.  In brown paper they last a week at a push.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

"We estimate that shelter-in-place would have to remain in place for about five months or more

The peer-reviewed articles linked to above stated 5-7 months for a late, loose lockdown, and 6-7 weeks for a early, tight lock down.  

This is not boding well for universities in the USA reopening for the fall semester, as American has opted for the first option. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

https://www.queenslandcountrylife.com.au/story/6692273/merino-mask-developed-to-meet-coronavirus-demand/

looks like at least one local company is moving toward making masks.  They aren’t making them medical grade at this stage but as a replacement for ag workers spray and dust masks while the other mask makers are too busy with the medical mask requirements.  

I keep thinking about this.  Wool is such a breathable material - it would be really comfy.  The only concern would be that it’s too breathable and let’s stuff through.  It also I think has some anti mould and antimicrobial tendencies.  one of the concerns with sterilising and reusing masks is the risk with bacterial and mould growth.  It also insulates so could be more comfy to wear.

https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/875-wool-fibre-properties

• Like 2

I know all lockdowns are different, is anyone else in a lockdown with a 'bubble' concept? NZ has asked each of us to identify our bubble - a small group of people who physically interact but don't come in contact with others.  So our bubble includes our family of 4 and our 65 year old neighbor, but not his partner who lives across town. The Prime Minister's bubble includes her partner, toddler, the Finance Minister, and 4 staff members. The Finance Minister and staff members' families are NOT included in this bubble, so they will only be interacting by video. The Nursing Homes are considered a bubble, so staff have moved in voluntarily and are only interacting with their families by video.  I've also read about a group house for 22 university students acting as a bubble.  If they are dating anyone outside this bubble, they can only meet by video. Basically, bubbles do NOT overlap.

This seems such an obvious idea to us since it was implemented 10 days ago, but when we have discussed it with family living in various states in the USA, it was not a concept that they were familiar with.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Acadie said:

While mortality is low for younger people, children and young adults can have severe illness. Helpful distinctions in the article below. @square_25

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/01/coronavirus-young-americans-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR1-CvfKnuwTGPg13hMfQMcdZfDtR-F9ZYMeQFNTOPjiKgj3G2Oh043z0jo

Yes, that corresponds to what I've been seeing as well. Thanks for tagging me :-). (Their numbers are out of date, by the way.) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lewelma said:

I know all lockdowns are different, is anyone else in a lockdown with a 'bubble' concept? NZ has asked each of us to identify our bubble - a small group of people who physically interact but don't come in contact with others.  So our bubble includes our family of 4 and our 65 year old neighbor, but not his partner who lives across town. The Prime Minister's bubble includes her partner, toddler, the Finance Minister, and 4 staff members. The Finance Minister and staff members' families are NOT included in this bubble, so they will only be interacting by video. The Nursing Homes are considered a bubble, so staff have moved in voluntarily and are only interacting with their families by video.  I've also read about a group house for 22 university students acting as a bubble.  If they are dating anyone outside this bubble, they can only meet by video. Basically, bubbles do NOT overlap.

This seems such an obvious idea to us since it was implemented 10 days ago, but when we have discussed it with family living in various states in the USA, it was not a concept that they were familiar with.  

I haven't heard the bubble concept, but that's basically how many people I know are operating.  Before we moved in with them, we were basically considering the grandparents to be sharing quarantine with us.  Other than the hospital, we only interact with them, and they only interacted with us.  

How are people in NZ getting food?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lewelma said:

We haven't done it. I think the reason for it is that we never had the chance to do containment at all -- due to the ridiculously low levels of testing, it hasn't been possible to find ALL the cases anywhere. Tragically, NY started ramping up its testing abilities before they had found cases, but by the time we had found cases, there were ACTUALLY lots of cases we hadn't found due to, again, ridiculously low testing. 

I think it's an excellent concept for containment. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, lewelma said:

The peer-reviewed articles linked to above stated 5-7 months for a late, loose lockdown, and 6-7 weeks for a early, tight lock down.  

This is not boding well for universities in the USA reopening for the fall semester, as American has opted for the first option. 

Yeah, this is where we should have done this IN FEBRUARY. People who were really worried about the economy should have thought about that, shouldn't they have? 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

MA just today announced they were going to start rigorous contact tracing.  A little late, I'd think, but better than not doing it at all?

• Like 2

Just now, CuriousMomof3 said:

How are people in NZ getting food?

We can go to the grocery store but can't interact with anyone.  Staff wear masks, we wash hands, and do 2 meter physical distancing, only 100 people allowed in the store at a time (and these are very big grocery stores). 

The groceries have prioritized delivery to bubbles who contain an at-risk person.

When I talked to my dad about the Jacinda's bubble, he said, "but what about her staff's family?" And he was really surprised that they were excluded from the bubble. From his point of view (and he has taught a class in public health called "plagues and politics" so knows a thing or two), people can physically isolate, but yet the bubbles interact by a person or two crossing into different bubbles, and thus linking them together and lessening the impact of lockdowns. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1