Menu

What's with the ads?

gardenmom5

wuhan - coronavirus

Pinterest CEO and US scientists have launched a new app to try to help track COVID19

"Aimed at users in the US, How We Feel lets individuals self-report their age, gender, zip code and any health symptoms they are experiencing in less than a minute. The aggregate data is then shared with select scientists, doctors and public health professionals who are working to stop the spread of Covid-19 in the US."

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/start-ups/how-we-feel-covid-19-data-pinterest-mit

• Like 1

9 hours ago, square_25 said:

I think saying that they can't possibly be using as many masks as they are claiming, and therefore many must be being sold on the black market seems inappropriate whoever exactly is supposed to be selling them... 

Why does it seem inappropriate? Because it might hurt someone's feelings?  If doctors and nurses aren't receiving the masks provided to them, I think it's a fair point, and a newsworthy story.  Trump suggested that the cities (and the reporters) look into it.  Bringing situations such as the one in Cooperstown to light serves as a warning to other hospitals to be vigilant in safeguarding their supplies.

(A quick search brought me to an NBC article published on March 29th: "No Evidence for Trump's suggestion that "masks are going out the back door' of New York hospitals".  Oddly, I haven't yet found NBC coverage of the conflicting story.)  

4 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

Why does it seem inappropriate? Because it might hurt someone's feelings?  If doctors and nurses aren't receiving the masks provided to them, I think it's a fair point, and a newsworthy story.  Trump suggested that the cities (and the reporters) look into it.  Bringing situations such as the one in Cooperstown to light serves as a warning to other hospitals to be vigilant in safeguarding their supplies.

(A quick search brought me to an NBC article published on March 29th: "No Evidence for Trump's suggestion that "masks are going out the back door' of New York hospitals".  Oddly, I haven't yet found NBC coverage of the conflicting story.)  

Because we have a DRASTIC shortage of equipment. I doubt more than 5% (being generous, 20%) of the masks are going elsewhere, because that would be an immense quantity of masks. Doctors and nurses are having to reuse PPE. There's NO WAY that tracking down the ones that are being sold on the black market is going to solve the problem. What would solve the problem is finding more equipment. 

Yes, anyone caught doing this should be punished severely. But given that the federal government could be ramping up PPE production and is not, and given that we will NOT have enough masks even if we find every single criminal that has done this, that's just a distraction. 

Edited by square_25
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

Because we have a DRASTIC shortage of equipment. I doubt more than 5% (being generous, 20%) of the masks are going elsewhere, because that would be an immense quantity of masks. Doctors and nurses are having to reuse PPE. There's NO WAY that tracking down the ones that are being sold on the black market is going to solve the problem. What would solve the problem is finding more equipment. 

Yes, anyone caught doing this should be punished severely. But given that the federal government could be ramping up PPE production and is not, and given that we will NOT have enough masks even if we find every single criminal that has done this, that's just a distraction. 

True.  Lots of distractions in the news these days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lewelma said:

Glad to see you back. Where are you sourcing 10K of produce?!?!? 

As for fall 2020, I too am worried that it will be all on-line.  If this comes to pass, we are considering our son taking a gap year.  Face to face is key.

One of the bigger fruit and veg distributors said they can handle this.  I am guessing they are hurting from so many restaurants closed or doing much less business so I hope it helps them and they will be able to keep helping our community during this time.

I'd be running though gap year scenarios if I were you.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

True.  Lots of distractions in the news these days.

The media can't provide equipment, though. Focusing on the wrong stuff doesn't actually keep equipment away from the hospitals. 

Anyway, it's probably too late for the federal government to use the DPA to make PPE to help NY :-(. It's too bad. I hope people keep donating and stepping up locally. 

Edited by square_25
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, square_25 said:

The media can't provide equipment, though. Focusing on the wrong stuff doesn't actually keep equipment away from the hospitals. 

Anyway, it's probably too late for the federal government to use the DPA to make PPE to help NY :-(. It's too bad. I hope people keep donating and stepping up locally. 

I don't know that the feds were "focusing" on ppe theft.  He mentioned it and people took umbrage.  I'm sorry that NY is so hard hit.

Just now, DoraBora said:

I don't know that the feds were "focusing" on ppe theft.  He mentioned it and people took umbrage.  I'm sorry that NY is so hard hit.

Well, yes, people took umbrage, because it shifts responsibility. But it's definitely only inappropriate in context -- if they had gotten factories to product tons of PPEs and then were worried because some were unaccountably "missing," that would be different. Instead, there's a lot of incredulity about how vast the numbers are, and theorizing that the numbers aren't really as large as the governors make them out to be. That makes people concerned that they aren't being taken seriously. 

What state are you in, if you don't mind me asking? Do you guys have PPE shortages or no? 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Anyone seen this? 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/01/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-cases-map.html

If you know NYC geography, the map is interesting. Manhattan is definitely not particularly hard-hit. The airport also doesn't look like the center of an issue. 

They do seem to be suggesting that larger families that all gather together are the problem. I guess with lots of people in the house, there's a high chance SOMEONE is an "essential worker" :-/. 

These folks keep the city running, lots of service jobs, hotels, cleaning, restaurants, shops, direct care for elderly etc. Their people contact is high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Starr said:

These folks keep the city running, lots of service jobs, hotels, cleaning, restaurants, shops, direct care for elderly etc. Their people contact is high.

Yeah, it's not surprising :-(. 

10 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Well, yes, people took umbrage, because it shifts responsibility. But it's definitely only inappropriate in context -- if they had gotten factories to product tons of PPEs and then were worried because some were unaccountably "missing," that would be different. Instead, there's a lot of incredulity about how vast the numbers are, and theorizing that the numbers aren't really as large as the governors make them out to be. That makes people concerned that they aren't being taken seriously. 

What state are you in, if you don't mind me asking? Do you guys have PPE shortages or no? 

Fair point, though I didn't see it that way.

I'm in Texas (Dallas).  There have been local reports of ppe shortages, but I don't know details.

Just now, DoraBora said:

Fair point, though I didn't see it that way.

I'm in Texas (Dallas).  There have been local reports of ppe shortages, but I don't know details.

Ah, we were in Austin until recently, so same state :-). I don't know Dallas well, though -- only been there a few times. 

10 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

My husband's dean did a virtual coffee hour and said Summer 2 (July-August) are going online and to be fully prepared to teach online for Fall 2020.  This is nowhere near over.  I'm a little scared.  I wasn't until this week.

My son's university has over 40,000 students and they too are already talking about the fall semester being online.  It's going to be ugly for DS, he has 4 classes left to graduate and 3 of them are science lab classes.

• Sad 8

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It’s uneven backlog between counties.

https://www.kcra.com/article/east-sacramento-gym-raises-bar-community-outreach/32030175

“About 92,500 tests have been administered statewide, but only 32,944 results have been received and another 59,500 are pending, according to California Department of Public Health.

... Newsom said it was a national problem - as is the shortage of tests and a lack of the masks, gloves and other protection healthcare workers must wear to administer tests from people who are possibly carrying the highly contagious virus. 

The state may be able to fast-track test results as more people receive blood-based tests, Newsom said. Testing that relies on taking nasal swabs, the most prominent initial testing measure, is primarily responsible for delays.

The average wait time in Los Angeles County is five to six days, but some results have taken 10 or 12 days, said Barbara Ferrer, the county health director. The county uses a mix of privately and publicly run labs.

The wait for a test and the time it takes to get results varies by county and a mix of hospitals and private testing labs. 

Marin County, which relies on a state lab for testing, is limited to conducting 50 tests a day, spokeswoman Laine Hendricks said. It takes two to three days for the state to deliver results. 

Sonoma County, which reported no backlog, is able to test 100 kits a day at its own lab and get results in 24 hours or less, spokeswoman Jennifer Larocque said. 

Orange County’s own lab aims for a two-day turnaround for the 80 to 100 tests it handles a day, but often completes them in 12 to 24 hours, said Megan Crumpler, director of Orange County’s Public Health Laboratory. 

“We’re just fortunate that we’re not getting inundated,” Crumpler said.

Riverside County said its own lab takes one to three days to process results, though private labs take five to seven days, said Jose Arballo Jr of of the county public health agency.”

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Possibly OT but if anyone doubts the value of the former CO of the Teddy Roosevelt’s leadership, this is the send off he justifiably received. Going out like a boss. https://thehill.com/policy/defense/490979-sailors-cheer-navy-captain-who-was-removed-after-pleading-for-help-with

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

I wish this was true because it would mean most of my sponsored kids' families would be fine because they tend to live in countries along the equator. And they tend to live their lives outside. But Ecuador is being hit HARD -- Bodies in the street and everything  It may have an effect, but not enough.

I think vitamin D could help hugely “all other things being equal” and doing other things that would tend to stop the spread— Stay Home Stay Safe ; distance of at least 2 meters when Stay Home isn’t possible; ...     I’m certainly going to keep taking my D3 as I expect it might well make a difference between being able to survive or not if I do become exposed.  At the same time, I am doing what I can not to be exposed (or if I should happen to have been exposed and be an asymptomatic carrier the same precautions would also help to not expose others ). 

Using Sun to make D also depends on the body having cholesterol to convert into D (I wonder if some places push to “lower cholesterol intake” or perhaps lack of cholesterol containing foods due to culture or poverty would affect making D even if there’s enough sun), and the body has to be able to do the metabolic conversion from skin cholesterol plus sun (probably plus other needed cofactors too) to build Vitamin D.   Even with enough sun apparently many older people no longer metabolize D well. And apparently some younger people also have less good D creating metabolism even if they have the nutritional building blocks and adequate sun.

Having lived in Brazil though, I would say it is not necessarily the case that everyone in an equatorial area gets enough sun for good D production. For example, some older less mobile people may spend time largely indoors and in shade. People who have indoors type occupations (which may include doctors and nurses) may have relatively little sun time and may be dressed to cover most skin.  Skin darkness matters too with regard to how much time needs to spent in sun to make D.

And then, it looks like Ecuador populace lacks a lot of other helpful factors for slowing spread of CV19. 

Pictures I see out of Ecuador show people bunched together, sometimes bunched together while wearing a mask, sometimes not; lack of sufficient PPE etc.;  and performing activities like pouring soapy water in streets and mopping it about which may or may not be particularly useful to Stop Spread... 

Dead and decomposing bodies sounds just awful and seems likely to lead to other health problems too.  

[I noticed that descriptions out of Ecuador sound (and look on news reels) like what people were describing for Wuhan, but that China and WHO denied.]

Do you have any contact with your sponsored kids? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, square_25 said:

The Forbes (?) article about huge amounts of masks etc being sold to highest bidders overseas when NY and other domestic hospitals need it so badly deeply concerned me. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Pen said:

The Forbes (?) article about huge amounts of masks etc being sold to highest bidders overseas when NY and other domestic hospitals need it so badly deeply concerned me. 

Oh, I didn't see that. Show me?

10 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Possibly OT but if anyone doubts value of the former CO of the Teddy Roosevelt’s leadership, this is the send off he justifiably received. Going out like a boss. https://thehill.com/policy/defense/490979-sailors-cheer-navy-captain-who-was-removed-after-pleading-for-help-with

And I don’t know what he will do next, but whatever it is, a lot of people will see him as a hero, and I expect will want to help. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Oh, I didn't see that. Show me?

I think it was in this thread.

I’ll try google 😊 easier than trying to find it here.

@square_25 I don’t know this publication but it alsocame from my search 

https://theintercept.com/2020/04/01/coronavirus-medical-supplies-export/

ETA I guess flipside is that if USA cases hadn’t blown up, we would have been criticized by international community and probably domestic press and many, many American people for “putting America first” and hoarding supplies while Asia and Europe needed them.  (And, ironically, if more PPE had been kept, and rapidly issued to first responders and medical workers, perhaps our numbers would have been lower, making it seem like keeping the equipment here was not justified.) 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pen said:

And I don’t know what he will do next, but whatever it is, a lot of people will see him as a hero, and I expect will want to help. 

Indeed. People who distinguish themselves in times of crisis always prosper in the end. We need more leaders like this.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@Pen Singapore is finally going to be shelter in place from April 7th. Hairdressers are allowed to stay open 😞 (so my in-laws still have a place to go to gossip) 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid19-decisive-move-workplaces-closed-lee-hsien-loong-12606614

I wonder why hairdressers were exempted. 

Just now, Pen said:

I wonder why hairdressers were exempted. 

No idea. Friends there are puzzled too. The elderly would just say PM allow so they can go. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, square_25 said:

Anyone seen this? 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/01/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-cases-map.html

If you know NYC geography, the map is interesting. Manhattan is definitely not particularly hard-hit. The airport also doesn't look like the center of an issue. 

They do seem to be suggesting that larger families that all gather together are the problem. I guess with lots of people in the house, there's a high chance SOMEONE is an "essential worker" :-/. 

My suspicion is that it has to do with viral load. If you have someone in a large family who starts to get it and spreads ir to other family members then you have a lot of the virus clustered in one place. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

No idea. Friends there are puzzled too. The elderly would just say PM allow so they can go. 

PM is missing his haircuts?  

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

PM is missing his haircuts?  

Think it’s his “Significant Other” that wants hairdressers to be essential.

• Haha 6

@Ausmumof3@Pen

🇸🇬 https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-singapore-airlines-care-ambassadors-hospital-manpower-12608118

“SINGAPORE: Singapore Airlines (SIA) will provide at least 300 "care ambassadors" to help fill a manpower gap at hospitals, in light of the rising number of COVID-19 cases in the country. 

Responding to CNA's queries on Friday (Apr 3), the national carrier said there is an "urgent and growing need to fill the manpower gap for the care of other patients as hospital nurses are re-directed from their original duties to care for patients infected with COVID-19".”

18 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My suspicion is that it has to do with viral load. If you have someone in a large family who starts to get it and spreads ir to other family members then you have a lot of the virus clustered in one place. 

Yeah, agreed. 

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Yes, now that’s a place where the federal government could have intervened early on. Other countries did.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2020 at 5:00 AM, Carrie12345 said:

Like doctors and nurses, EMT training (locally, at least) is being modified to get students certified.  My 17yo is resenting my 16yo a bit right now!  Even though the younger will get certified, she’s still unable to be employed until she turns 18 next year.  But the older turns 18 in less than 2 months, and I know she’s going to be raring to go! I’m trying to wait until the end of this month before sitting down and having real conversations about that.

On 4/2/2020 at 5:19 AM, StellaM said:

Needing to have that convo too - with my young nurse, now that thousands of free ICU nurse training places have opened up here. There will be heavy recruitment. 

I think PTSD is a real risk for young people in health care professions atm. I mean, for everyone, but young people particularly.

Paramedics here are against a proposal to allow students to work in the field, for the above reasons and others. 

Good luck having the conversation.

In my area all EMS student clinicals (at all levels — EMT, AEMT, paramedic) and I think nursing and allied health profession  clinicals were suspended several weeks ago. The schools and the EMS systems, including the one I work for, decided the students’ physical and mental health were more important than rushing their training. 

• Like 2

😞 @mathnerd

https://abc7news.com/health/grand-princess-cruise-ship-crew-member-dies-at-sf-hospital/6073373/

“SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A crew member from the Grand Princess Ship that docked in Oakland has died. The crew member died of coronavirus in a San Francisco hospital after being transferred off the ship last month.

Hundreds of workers still remain onboard the Grand Princess that is now docked at its homeport at the San Francisco Cruise terminal. Their 14-day quarantine ends tomorrow”

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, DoraBora said:

3 hours ago, square_25 said:

I found it offensive as DH works in healthcare, and they are stretching PPE. Somewhere before POTUS's remarks, I think I mentioned that PPE stealing is a thing without a pandemic. Unless they keep everything super locked up (as they probably are now), which affects productivity, people do tend to help themselves to gloves, masks, paper towels, wipes, etc. when they show up in EDs and doctor's office of all kinds. It's like when people take extra disposable silverware, napkins, condiments, and tea bags at a restaurant. 

But I agree that it's not a wrong question in a different context. 

2 hours ago, Pen said:

I thought I saw a report somewhere that the US is stopping exports (finally). I am unable to keep up with the links, but maybe someone else has seen this too. 

• Like 3

On 4/1/2020 at 11:21 PM, Arcadia said:

Keep the children entertained while parents work from home 😉 

As an aside, jigsaws on tables at the cancer center I go to for my appointments is very popular with patients.

Haven't made it to the end of the thread yet, but I busted out laughing when I realized you were talking about puzzles and not the thing that cuts wood! I am embarrassed to say it took several posts of me thinking, "Well, I guess making shapes of of wood could be therapeutic, how progressive they are!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I found it offensive as DH works in healthcare, and they are stretching PPE. Somewhere before POTUS's remarks, I think I mentioned that PPE stealing is a thing without a pandemic. Unless they keep everything super locked up (as they probably are now), which affects productivity, people do tend to help themselves to gloves, masks, paper towels, wipes, etc. when they show up in EDs and doctor's office of all kinds. It's like when people take extra disposable silverware, napkins, condiments, and tea bags at a restaurant. 

I thought I saw a report somewhere that the US is stopping exports (finally). I am unable to keep up with the links, but maybe someone else has seen this too. 

Germany did this months ago with regards to masks. I wish we had acted then too!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, saraha said:

Haven't made it to the end of the thread yet, but I busted out laughing when I realized you were talking about puzzles and not the thing that cuts wood! I am embarrassed to say it took several posts of me thinking, "Well, I guess making shapes of of wood could be therapeutic, how progressive they are!"

Carpentry is therapeutic too 🙂

If liability isn’t an issue, a makerspace corner at cancer centers would be a welcome distraction too. 

• Like 3

A local reporter did a summary: https://sccinsight.com/2020/04/01/where-do-we-go-from-here-new-research-and-studies-suggest-next-steps-for-fighting-covid-19/ of several recent papers (includes full text as well)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kbutton said:

President of US has just invoked his Emergency Defense powers to try to stop 3M from exporting its PPE. (According news flash  up till at least a few minutes ago it has been exporting most of what it produces—and isn’t producing enough even if it were not exporting most) 

Just got news flash a few minutes ago

Edited by Pen
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Pen said:

ETA I guess flipside is that if USA cases hadn’t blown up, we would have been criticized by international community and probably domestic press and many, many American people for “putting America first” and hoarding supplies while Asia and Europe needed them.  (And, ironically, if more PPE had been kept, and rapidly issued to first responders and medical workers, perhaps our numbers would have been lower, making it seem like keeping the equipment here was not justified.) 

Ummm... Yeah! Canadians and other trade partners are not impressed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/3m-n95-masks-1.5520326

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Pen said:

President of US has just invoked his Emergency Defense powers to try to stop 3M from exporting its PPE. (According news flash  up till at least a few minutes ago it has been exporting most of what it produces—and isn’t producing enough even if it were not exporting most) 

It’s all over the news now

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/3m-argues-against-ceasing-exports-of-respirators-as-it-preps-to-work-with-fema-to-boost-production-2020-04-03

“3M Co. MMM-3.23% said Friday the administration of President Donald Trump has asked it to cease exporting respirators that are made in the U.S. to Latin America and Canada, given they are in short supply during the coronavirus pandemic. The company said it is a vital supplier of that equipment in those markets and that there are "signifiant humanitarian implications" to such a move. "Ceasing all export of respirators produced in the United States would likely cause other countries to retaliate and do the same, as some have already done," the company said in a statement. "If that were to occur, the net number of respirators being made available to the United States would actually decrease. That is the opposite of what we and the Administration, on behalf of the American people, both seek. " The company, which was criticized by Trump at a Thursday briefing after it said demand for N95 respirators was exceeding capacity, said it is looking forward to working with FEMA to boost production after Trump invoked the Defense Production Act against the company, giving the federal government more control over its operations. The company has received approval to import 10 million N95 masks made at 3M facilities in China back to the U.S.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Pen said:

Oh my goodness. Just now??

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Indeed. People who distinguish themselves in times of crisis always prosper in the end. We need more leaders like this.

Meanwhile, the Navy is still putting sailors on a carrier based in the greater Seattle area. Claiming quarantine will solve the problem and not disclosing number of cases because of OPSEC. 

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/2020/04/02/washington-coronavirus-uss-nimitz-crew-preparation-on-board-quarantine/5115234002/

All the Navy would need to do at this point to save face is declare a 30 or 60 day operational pause to preserve military readiness and safeguard their sailors' health. Why they want another embarrassing incident with a contaminated carrier is beyond me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I just saw that EMTs can't bring anybody in cardiac arrest that they weren't able to revive to a hospital in NYC.  They need to just leave them.😢

To be fair, this is SOP in several areas and has been for several years. (In my system EMTs don’t work codes, paramedics do.) My system’s protocols call for working codes (read cardiac arrests of all etiologies) for a specified time then calling for a pronouncement based on certain clinical criteria. This is a bit of a simplification and there are circumstances where we do transport with CPR in progress, but by and large, there is no benefit to the patient and increased danger to the paramedics and public when transporting with lights and sirens. With the major exception of ECMO ERs don’t do anything that a good (or really just decent) EMS system can’t do. And ECMO machines are not something every hospital has.

As harsh as it may sound, COVID or no COVID, neurologically intact survival rates of patients who were in cardiac arrest are pretty darn low. In fact, survival rates without considering neurological outcomes are very low. Your best chance of survival is having a sudden cardiac arrest due to cardiac issues and then having early compressions and, as appropriate, early defibrillation. This applies to both in hospital arrests and out of hospital arrests. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, TCB said:

Germany did this months ago with regards to masks. I wish we had acted then too!

Germany has been a model of excellent governmental response. early rapid testing, large number of tests, protecting the elderly, etc etc.

• Like 6

Scores of countries have moved to restrict the export of face masks, gloves and other medical supplies critical for front-line workers in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, leaving Canada and others scrambling to source products that now have higher price tags.

Sixty-eight countries — Canada is not among them — have curbed exports of personal protective equipment or medicine, according to Simon Evenett, a professor of international trade at Switzerland’s University of St. Gallen.

On Tuesday, China responded to complaints from Europe about ineffective coronavirus test kits by tightening standards around certification of medical goods for export.

The decision seeks to clamp down on defective products, but could have the effect of further slashing supply from a country that produces half of the world’s personal protective equipment — also known as PPE.

Omar Allam, who heads an Ottawa-based global trade consultancy, said the move aims to bolster China’s reputation, but effectively severs Canadian wholesalers from some reputable Chinese manufacturers by tacking on red tape that trips up the supply chain.

Officials across the country this week warned that equipment shortfalls are placing health-care workers and vulnerable Canadians at growing risk of exposure to the virus.

A lack of supply and surging demand have sent prices soaring for goods from gowns to gloves, swabs and face shields.

“One government had placed an order for 200 million masks from China. And what this did overnight to the price of masks was to treble them,” Evenett said.

Air cargo rates have also shot up as airlines park planes — which often carry freight as well as passenger luggage — due to plummeting travel demand.

“I would say that they’ve more than doubled, even tripled,” said Gary Hopkins, managing director of U.S.-based Air Charter Service’s Toronto office.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised Wednesday that federal health authorities will not cut any corners when it comes to making sure masks provided by China meet the necessary standards.

The comments followed an announcement from the Chinese Embassy in Ottawa that the country is sending 30,000 medical masks along with thousands of gowns, gloves and goggles to Canada.

The shipment was announced amid reports that the Dutch government is recalling around 600,000 defective masks that were recently shipped from China. Spain has also raised concerns about Chinese-made COVID-19 testing kits that were faulty.

On Tuesday night, China’s Ministry of Commerce announced that PPE — which includes COVID-19 test kits, N95 respirator masks, ventilators and infrared thermometers — can only be exported if its manufacturers show certification by a national registry and documentation proving it meets the import country’s standards. The exports will be checked at customs in China to confirm the paperwork, according to the government release.

At the height of the crisis there, Beijing sought to buy virtually all of the country’s medical supplies and withhold exports, Evenett said.

“Now the government is letting selected Chinese medical suppliers ship abroad. But because it’s a pretty ad hoc and non-transparent system, it’s pretty much tantamount to an informal export ban,” said Evenett.

“This is the worst type of short-term thinking,” he said.

Since the start of the week, more than 11 million face masks have arrived in Canada, including a shipment of one million masks that reached a Hamilton warehouse overnight, Trudeau said Thursday.

The government has spoken with nearly 3,000 companies to secure “millions of pieces of vital equipment,” he said.

Ottawa has also co-signed a statement with partners including Singapore, New Zealand, Australia and others to keep supply chains open.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6769162/canada-medical-supplies-coronavirus/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Frances said:

Germany has been a model of excellent governmental response. early rapid testing, large number of tests, protecting the elderly, etc etc.

1 hour ago, TCB said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/germany-covid-19-coronavirus-measures-working-12607270

“BERLIN: Measures taken by German officials to slow the spread of the coronavirus are starting to show effect, the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for disease control said on Friday (Apr 3).

"We are seeing that the spread of the virus is getting slower ... it's working," said RKI president Lothar Wieler, stressing that restrictions on public life "need to be maintained" and it was too early to claim victory.

Wieler explained that each person who had caught the virus was now infecting only one person on average, where previously that number had been as high as seven.

"If the number is below one, then it means the epidemic is slowly easing up. That is our aim," he said.

"We know that we have pushed the number down to one with the measures, and we hope to push it down further."

Wieler nonetheless urged the public to keep observing government restrictions, which include a ban on public gatherings of more than two people and a requirement to stay at least 1.5m from others at all times.

"I need to say very clearly: the measures need to be maintained. Keeping your distance and staying at home is imperative, otherwise, we will not push the number under one," he said.

Meanwhile, the RKI altered its recommendations on Friday to encourage citizens to wear self-made masks in public.

It was "important to understand" that such masks would not protect the wearer, but they could help to protect others, said Wieler.

He added that there was "not yet any scientific proof" that the masks would limit the spread of the virus, but it "seemed plausible".

According to RKI figures on Friday, Germany has recorded more than 79,000 cases of the novel coronavirus.

A total of 1,017 deaths have been recorded, though RKI president Wieler warned Friday that the actual number could be much higher.

"We won't manage to test every single person ... I assume we will have more deaths than are officially recorded," he said.

Wieler also said that the mortality rate would "continue to rise" in Germany.

Latest figures showed that the death rate in Europe's largest economy had jumped to 1.2 per cent, still considerably lower than that of neighbouring countries.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On March 20, 2020, Russia, the world’s largest wheat exporter, announced a ten-day ban on the export of buckwheat and rice due to concerns over panic buying in local supermarkets. Soon after, Kazakhstan and Ukraine followed suit. Vietnam, the world’s third largest exporter of rice, did not impose an export ban but put a moratorium on new export contracts as it assesses domestic stocks. On March 30, Cambodia joined the list of countries announcing limits to exports of certain agricultural products, which will take effect on April 5. This is a particularly painful decision for a country that has been considerably successful in building a market share for rice. More minor exporters, like Serbia, are restricting exports as well. Moreover, these restrictions are coming against a backdrop of high global food prices and rising unemployment worldwide.

We have been here before—and recently. In 2007–08, these same countries and other large exporters instituted some form of export restrictions on staple grains. These restrictions were intended to shield those countries’ consumers from the high prices prevailing in global markets. And they did—to some extent. But they came with massive broader costs: Export restrictions may have added as much as 45 percent to world rice prices and 30 percent to wheat prices during the 2007–08 crisis.

These rising prices plunged at least 100 million people into food insecurity worldwide and came with significant political consequences: Food prices sparked demonstrations and riots in 48 countries in 2007–08. And while prices receded in 2009, they reached historic highs in February 2011—and were once again implicated in political turmoil. High food and fuel prices were among the grievances motivating the demonstrations that led to the various Arab Spring uprisings. Even temporary export bans can have long-lasting effects.

Given rising unemployment and food insecurity, increasing dependence on global food trade, and already high global food prices, the global economy can ill afford these types of self-inflicted market disruptions. Export restrictions are blunt instruments that further exacerbate the problems they were designed to address. Thankfully, governments in major food-exporting economies can take other measures to ensure adequate food supplies, from limiting purchases to reducing taxes on food grains and tapping into domestic emergency stocks to prevent speculative price bubbles from forming and using more targeted transfers—like food stamp programs—to address the needs of the most vulnerable populations. Collectively, governments should continue to advocate for more open, transparent, and well-functioning global agricultural markets.

https://www.piie.com/blogs/realtime-economic-issues-watch/wrong-tools-wrong-time-food-export-bans-time-covid-19

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@mathnerd@Plum 

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/monterey-county-library-uses-3d-printers-to-make-n95-masks/2266756/

“The Monterey County Library system's two 3D printers are being used to produce protective N95 masks while all of the system's branches are closed due to the novel coronavirus outbreak, the county said Thursday.

The two printers are producing the hard plastic masks around the clock to support first responders and medical professionals who are dealing with the pandemic's ongoing surge in cases. Each mask takes just over three hours to make and is designed to be worn multiple times by the same person.

Before being repurposed, the printers were generally used to produce supplies for the library system's maker program. Library officials also plan to use them to make doorknob covers that will help prevent the spread of germs and no-sew masks that can hold medically safe air filters.”

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2