Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

28 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Vietnam 🙂

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vietnam-riceatm/rice-atm-feeds-vietnams-poor-amid-virus-lockdown-idUSKCN21V0GQ

“HO CHI MINH CITY (Reuters) - A Vietnamese entrepreneur in Ho Chi Minh City has invented a 24/7 automatic dispensing machine providing free rice for people out of work following an ongoing nationwide lockdown to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. 

A woman fills a plastic bag with rice from a 24/7 automatic rice dispensing machine 'Rice ATM' during the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, April 11, 2020. REUTERS/Yen Duong

Vietnam has reported 262 COVID-19 cases, and no deaths so far, but as a result of a 15-day social distancing programme that began on March 31 many small businesses have been shuttered and thousands of people temporarily laid off from work. 

Nguyen Thi Ly’s husband was among those who have lost their job. 

“This rice ATM has been helpful. With this one bag of rice, we can have enough for one day,” said the 34-year-old mother of three children. “Now, we only need other food. Our neighbors sometimes gave us some leftover food, or we have instant noodles.” 

The machine distributes a 1.5kg (3.3lb) bagful of rice from a small silo to waiting workers, many of whom are street sellers or people who earned a living from cash-in-hand jobs like housekeeping or selling lottery tickets. 

Hoang Tuan Anh, the businessman behind the idea, had initially donated a batch of smart doorbells to hospitals in Ho Chi Minh City before turning his technological expertise to food distribution. 

Similar ‘rice ATMs’ have been set up in other big cities like Hanoi, Hue and Danang, according to state media. 

Employees monitoring the rice ATM declined to comment, but Anh told state media he wanted people to feel they still had access to food and resources, despite the current economic difficulties they found themselves in. 

“I refer to this machine as a ‘rice ATM’ because people can withdraw rice from it, assured that there are still good people out there who want to give them a second chance,” he said. 

While many in the Communist-ruled country can rely on a social safety-net, and the government has introduced a stimulus package designed to help society’s most vulnerable, some people living on the margin, like Ly and her family, have not received enough support.”

While I think that what this person is doing is great, rice dispensing machines (for pay, not for free) have been around for decades. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I agree with you that masking should have been encouraged (of the civilian kind, cloth, whatnot) from the beginning. I do not think that kind of messaging would have been allowed b/c it is inconsistent with the incessant push to get back to normal and/or create the appearance of normal. Masked people raise alarms. Masked people indicate all is not well. Masked people shame the unmasked and make them feel bad. I do not agree, however, that the lack of masking is why marginalized people are dying at higher rates. Systemic inequality is the cause of that. Poor/inadequate leadership is the reason they were exposed in the first place.

I am not blaming the lack of masking for the problem of the minorities.  There are multiple reasons including higher density households, much higher rates of some of the underlying conditions like high blood pressure and asthma, the types of work that some of the minorities are more represented in, etc.  But yeah, if people wear the right kind of masks- which aren't available anyway- they would have been protected,   

2 hours ago, Paige said:

You said he repeated a lie...

I feel it is a little harsh to call it a lie when most experts were probably doing their best with the limited knowledge they have. Whether it’s Fauci or the people he quoted- chances are they were just wrong rather than malicious. If he knew it was airborne and said it wasn’t, or had been told or seen reliable reports that it was airborne and continued to downplay the risk, however, it would have been lying and dangerous. 

My problem with hydroxycholoroquine isn’t that there are no studies but that there are conflicting studies and anecdotes and there are other potential drugs. If you are going to believe the anecdotal evidence it works, you have to also consider the cases where it hasn’t worked and the anecdotal evidence for other drugs. 

Putting all our eggs in the hydroxychloroquine basket seems foolish. I’d like to see them say that there are many potential treatments being investigated and have the FDA allow many or all of them to be used (obvi not all on the same patient) including hydroxychloroquine. I don’t want to throw it out but I don’t want to depend on it either. There’s some aids antiviral that’s shown promise along with others I don’t recall because their names blend together in my mind. I think people would be more hopeful if all of these promising treatments were discussed during the press conferences instead of just one.

I am not thinking we should put all of our baskets into hydroxychloroquine at all.  I am sure that Trump wasn't meaning that too.  But instead of waiting for the months to years it takes for a proper randomnized double blind study of each of the potential helpers to be done- case studies of more limited groups can be very useful.  As a hydroxychloroquine using patient, I have no desire for my and my fellow arthritics to lose our medicine to unfounded theories. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Plum said:

Chloroquine Trial in Brazil Stopped Over Risk of Deadly Heart Complications

https://www.newsmax.com/health-news/chloroquine-drug-trial-brazil-study/2020/04/13/id/962556/

Nobody is being prescribed chloroquine in the arthritis community and haven't for at least 50 years because it did have more negative side effects compared to Hydroxychloroquine.   I had no idea which bad side effects of chlorquine were the ones that stopped its use as both an anti- malarial and anti-arthritic medication but at least in the USA, Plaquenil has been the standard since I think the mid to late 50s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corraleno said:

"Four more state pharmacy boards have followed Ohio's lead and taken steps to block pharmacists from excessively dispensing two drugs touted as possible COVID-19 treatments, as both drugs are already in shortage.  Utah, Idaho, Texas and Nevada have all moved to block unnecessary prescriptions of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, both designed to treat malaria but commonly used to treat autoimmune diseases such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Physicians were found to be writing prescriptions for themselves and their families to stockpile the drugs, and both are already in shortage. Texas also limited prescriptions of the antibiotic azithromycin and another malaria drug, mefloquine, according to the Times.  It seems like people are trying to start hoarding these medications just like they've been hoarding toilet paper and water," Allison Benz, executive director of the Texas State Board of Pharmacy, told KXAN, an NBC affiliate in Austin, Texas." Article here

"Ohio doctors are obtaining so many prescriptions of a possible coronavirus treatment for themselves, their families, their colleagues and their friends that it’s wiping out the supply for everybody else — including people with lupus who will become more susceptible to the virus without their usual medication." Article here

“People are losing their minds about this product,” said Brian Brito, president of SMP Pharmacy Solutions in Miami. “We’re selling so much of this stuff and people are just stockpiling it prophylactically if anybody in their family gets sick — they’re just holding on to it. Brito said his pharmacy had about 800 tablets on Monday and were nearly sold out in about an hour. One doctor called and asked for 200 tablets, but the company refused. “He was a little upset about it but he understood and he went quickly from 200 to 42 tablets, which is essentially treating two people,” Brito said. “So yeah, they’re stockpiling it.”  Article here

This is also a sad indication of the craving/need for responsible leadership. The bully pulpit is powerful and it makes a difference, for better or worse.

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

I read something about Australia has approved, or, is contemplating approving, a law that will prohibit International travel until New Years Day 2021?   Has that decree been issued?

I haven't heard this but I think pretty much all Australians would be behind this. If we seal ourselves off we may be able to get it under control soon

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Vietnam 🙂

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vietnam-riceatm/rice-atm-feeds-vietnams-poor-amid-virus-lockdown-idUSKCN21V0GQ

“HO CHI MINH CITY (Reuters) - A Vietnamese entrepreneur in Ho Chi Minh City has invented a 24/7 automatic dispensing machine providing free rice for people out of work following an ongoing nationwide lockdown to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. 

Vietnam has reported 262 COVID-19 cases, and no deaths so far, but as a result of a 15-day social distancing programme that began on March 31 many small businesses have been shuttered and thousands of people temporarily laid off from work. 

Nguyen Thi Ly’s husband was among those who have lost their job. 

“This rice ATM has been helpful. With this one bag of rice, we can have enough for one day,” said the 34-year-old mother of three children. “Now, we only need other food. Our neighbors sometimes gave us some leftover food, or we have instant noodles.” 

The machine distributes a 1.5kg (3.3lb) bagful of rice from a small silo to waiting workers, many of whom are street sellers or people who earned a living from cash-in-hand jobs like housekeeping or selling lottery tickets. 

Hoang Tuan Anh, the businessman behind the idea, had initially donated a batch of smart doorbells to hospitals in Ho Chi Minh City before turning his technological expertise to food distribution. 

Similar ‘rice ATMs’ have been set up in other big cities like Hanoi, Hue and Danang, according to state media. 

Employees monitoring the rice ATM declined to comment, but Anh told state media he wanted people to feel they still had access to food and resources, despite the current economic difficulties they found themselves in. 

“I refer to this machine as a ‘rice ATM’ because people can withdraw rice from it, assured that there are still good people out there who want to give them a second chance,” he said. 

While many in the Communist-ruled country can rely on a social safety-net, and the government has introduced a stimulus package designed to help society’s most vulnerable, some people living on the margin, like Ly and her family, have not received enough support.”

Just going to say I’m more than happy to do without rice for a while if it means they can eat 🙂 

I’m glad they are getting that support 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I haven't heard this but I think pretty much all Australians would be behind this. If we seal ourselves off we may be able to get it under control soon

Yep

there are people clamouring for out but to be honest I actually feel quite hopeful that we could contain it here.  We have an R below one at this point apparently.  We need to be really careful with the people we’re bringing home from overseas.  Even locally acquired cases are decreasing.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Bootsie said:

This chart compares the confirmed cases in Denmark and Sweden scaled to equivalent population sizes

image.png.de49e663688e5e6de3d35f3357105475.png

Denmark is in orange.  It is interesting how with very different policies in place their curves are really not looking that different.  

Sweden is not testing except for extreme cases.  Their death rate curves, I believe, look quite different.  Even though their cases per million are very similar, deaths per million in Sweden is 91, in Denmark 49.  I think a lot of cases in Sweden are being missed.

• Like 11

@square_25

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/us-new-york-cuomo-covid-19-coronavirus-lockdown-12638358

“"The worst is over if we continue to be smart going forward," said Cuomo, adding that he would speak to neighboring governors later on Monday to come up with a reopening plan.

He promised an announcement later in the day after speaking to his counterparts in New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania and Delaware.

He said a reopening would be gradual, would involve easing isolation measures and could start with recalibrating who is an essential worker.

It would also require an increase in testing to monitor infection rates.

"This is a delicate balance," Cuomo said.

"It's not going to be, we flip the switch, and everybody comes out of their house, gets in their car, waves and hugs each other, and the economy will start."

"Do it carefully, do it slowly and do it intelligently," he added.

The governor described restarting New York's shuttered economy as like "opening a valve", and implored people to "do it carefully, do it slowly and do it intelligently".

"If you see that infection rates start ticking up, which would be undermining everything we have accomplished thus far, then you know you've opened the valve too fast," he said.

Cuomo encouraged New York's 19.5 million inhabitants to continue to follow social distancing guidelines, saying "two or three days of reckless behaviour" could set the fight against the pandemic back.”

• Like 3

If Sweden has consistently undertested relative to Denmark, the level of Sweden's real curve would be higher but the shape would be the same.  If they are always only counting 1/2 of their cases, for example, the curve would simply be twice as high.  That would mean that there were a lot more cases, but the trajectory of the spread would be the same.  You would think that they would have a much different trajectory due to differing policies.

8 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Agreed. I'm sorry. This whole thing just blows.

I'm glad you posted it. I think people (especially young people) who are saying "I just want to catch it and get it over with" might have a different opinion if they knew that even people who had "mild" cases may have long-lasting damage. 😞 

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

That is a seriously depressing article ☹️

Agreed.

id be curious though to see the difference in heart, lungs, blood  etc of those who received immediate anti-viral or anti-malarial treatment vs those who had to tough it out.  

• Like 3

The Israeli Prime Minister, the president, and the head of one of the other parties all reportedly had their nonresident adult children present at their Passover seders last week, in direct contravention to the rules established for the entire country.  The president apologized, the PM hand-waved it away, and the other guy said that he thought the rules were stupid.  Good work, everyone.

We are back on complete lockdown -- can only grocery shop in our own neighborhood -- through Thursday morning (i.e., the end of the Passover holiday).  After that the government is supposed to start considering various exit plans.  

The death rate here continues to be relatively low -- 0.1%, and the rate of serious cases has been consistently 2% for quite some time.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 1
  • Sad 10

ABC:  An expert has warned against a “herd immunity” approach to fighting COVID-19, saying Australians must wait for a vaccine before we can return to normal life.

RELATED: Follow more coronavirus news

Professor Raina MacIntyre, Head of the Biosecurity Research Program at UNSW Sydney’s Kirby Institute, warned that “allowing (the virus) to just rip through the community does not get rid of it”.

“What happens is, you have cycling epidemics…They kill a lot of people and they occur at huge rates,” she told The Australian Science Academy. “These are like the kind of epidemics we've never seen in our lifetimes, because we've benefited from vaccination.

“So if we let (COVID-19) rip, that's what we're going to see. We're going to see massive scale epidemics. They're not going to go away. It's going to be a worst-case scenario, a massive hit on the economy. Most workplaces won't be able to function because too many people will be off sick. And a lot of people will die, including younger, healthy people.”

There are more than 6300 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Australia, with 2870 in New South Wales, 1291 in Victoria, 998 in Queensland, 433 in South Australia, 527 in Western Australia, 150 in Tasmania, 103 in the Australian Capital Territory and 28 in the Northern Territory.

The death toll now stands at 61.

• Like 4

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/coronavirus-updates-us-navy-battles-growing-outbreak-hospital/story?id=70134122&id=70134122&cid=social_twitter_abcn&__twitter_impression=true

7 cases of Coronavirus among crew on the US Hospital ship 

3:30 a.m.: 7 crew members on USNS Mercy test positive for virus

A growing number of crew members aboard the USNS Mercy hospital ship docked in Los Angeles have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

A total of seven medical treatment facility crew members have now been infected and are currently isolated off the ship, according to U.S. Navy Cmdr. John Face, a 3rd Fleet spokesman. The first positive case was confirmed on April 9.

Face said everyone who was considered to have been in close contact with the infected individuals remain in quarantine off the ship and have tested negative, with the exception of one crew member who was the fifth positive case.

The USNS Mercy hospital ship is docked at the Port of Los Angeles during the global pandemic of the novel coronavirus, in Los Angeles, California, U.S., April 13, 2020.Mario Anzuoni/Reuters

"The ship is following protocols and taking every precaution to ensure the health and safety of all crew members and patients on board," Face told ABC News in a statement early Monday. "This will not affect the ability for Mercy to receive patients at this time."

After arriving in the Port of Los Angeles last month, the USNS Mercy began treating non-coronavirus patients from area hospitals to help free up resources for COVID-19 patients.

• Sad 6

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

7 cases of Coronavirus among crew on the US Hospital ship 

A growing number of crew members aboard the USNS Mercy hospital ship docked in Los Angeles have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

A total of seven medical treatment facility crew members have now been infected and are currently isolated off the ship, according to U.S. Navy Cmdr. John Face, a 3rd Fleet spokesman. The first positive case was confirmed on April 9.

So, they brought it with them or picked it up there? I don't remember when they left wherever they were to head to LA.

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

So, they brought it with them or picked it up there? I don't remember when they left wherever they were to head to LA.

Think USNS Mercy was originally docked at San Diego 

Mar 27, 2020 · ... hospital ship USNS Mercy arrived in Los Angeles, California, on Friday after departing Monday from Naval Base San Diego.” https://www.navytimes.com/news/coronavirus/2020/03/27/usns-mercy-arrives-in-los-angeles-to-support-covid-19-response/

• Thanks 1

🙂 🇬🇧 more than $2million raised now

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8216893/Captain-Tom-Moore-raises-1-2million-NHS-amidst-coronavirus-pandemic.html

A Second World War captain has raised more than £1.2million for 'our brave nurses and doctors' in the NHS by walking in his garden.

Captain Tom Moore, 99, set out last Thursday to walk 100 lengths of his garden before he turned 100-years-old on April 30.  He originally hoped to raise £1,000 for NHS Charities Together, but smashed that total in less than a day.

In less than a week the Bedfordshire veteran has captured the nation's heart and raised more than £1.2million to support doctors and nurses as they battle on the frontline of the coronavirus pandemic. 

'Whereas in the last war we had soldiers in uniform in khaki, this time our army are in doctors and nurse's uniform. They're doing such a marvellous job.

Tom and his family set out to raise £1,000 initially, but as donations flooded, the family decided to raise the target, with the latest goal set at £500,000, a figure that was comfortably beaten yesterday.

Speaking this morning Tom's daughter Sophie said: 'We have decided as a family we won't reset the target. We feel that we have shown a window into the world of a gem. Now the nation has taken this gem of a man into our hearts. 

'We feel that it's now up to the British public to take this as far as it should go, Tom will continue to walk and we, the family and friends, will continue to support him, this is now in the hands of the British public.'”

ETA:

donation link

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tomswalkforthenhs

“£4,165,292.00
raised of £500,000.00 target
by 207463 supporters”  at 10:15pm Pacific Time April 14th
Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

New US map county.  If you click to the bottom tab and pick the one to the right, by population, you'll see the 3 ski counties that are high relative to their population, Blaine County in Idaho, Summit County in Utah, and in Colorado, I think Eagle County, @Margaret in CO will know.  So, @Margaret in CO , why is Gunnison high?  Is that a ski area, too? 

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

Edited by ElizabethB

15 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2009316

study screening all pregnant women in a New York hospital shows lots and lots of asymptomatic cases.  Only a few went on to develop symptoms.

84.6 pc negative

13.5 pc asymptomatic.

1.9 pc symptomatic 

How randomly are pregnant women in NY distributed?  Not totally random, but could be a proxy for total infection rate in NY.

@mathnerd Santa Clara County

https://abc7news.com/health/live-santa-clara-cos-dr-cody-gives-covid-19-update/6102388/

“That being said, Dr. Cody warned it would be a long road to fully reopening.

"We're still probably at the beginning of what is going to be a very long marathon here in the county, across the region and indeed across the country."

Dr. Cody outlined three criteria that need to be met before moving toward reopening society and the economy: ensuring hospitals have enough capacity (including beds, staff, and personal protective equipment) to treat the virus, more widespread testing, and extensive contact tracing.

"We're a month in and we need to keep at it a bit longer," said Dr. Cody. "If we just lifted the shelter-in-place and went back to business, we'd be back where we were very quickly."”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

New US map county.  If you click to the bottom tab and pick the one to the right, by population, you'll see the 3 ski counties that are high relative to their population, Blaine County in Idaho, Summit County in Utah, and in Colorado, I think Eagle County, @Margaret in CO will know.  So, @Margaret in CO , why is Gunnison high?  Is that a ski area, too? 

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

I don't know where they get their stats but I looked at my county.  It had stats about what kind of insurance.  It neglected one of the highest kinds in my city- Tricare, the military insurance that covers both current and retired military.  It is one of the larger types of insurance here and even larger proportion in some areas where most of the population is military.  They had veteran's, medicare, medicaid, employee, direct purchase and no insurance.  Both dh and I would be not in any of those categories as so would lots and lots of others.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ElizabethB said:

How randomly are pregnant women in NY distributed?  Not totally random, but could be a proxy for total infection rate in NY.

Yes.  although I think the immune system can sometimes be a bit weird when pregnant so I’m not sure how much can be extrapolated about the asymptomatic cases.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Death tolls likely far higher in Europe and the U.K. than currently reported or estimated, due to reporting discrepancies.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-death-toll-in-europe-likely-far-higher-than-first-reported-11586896486?tesla=y

Almost certainly true for Iran and China.  I guess we will never really know the true toll.  

• Like 1

I wonder how much of the US increase is because of a difference in how they are counting the death toll.  The trend had been flat or downward for a few days.

Diagnosed cases continue to trend down despite much broader testing, so that is good news.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SKL said:

I wonder how much of the US increase is because of a difference in how they are counting the death toll.  The trend had been flat or downward for a few days.

Diagnosed cases continue to trend down despite much broader testing, so that is good news.

That seems to be typical once lockdowns start being effective.  Same in Italy, etc.  Less new cases but more deaths as the existing cases run their course.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StellaM said:

The federal government today is wittering on about everyone sending their kids back to school, totally safe etc, so I think the dream of eliminating the virus here has been and gone. 

Looks like NSW schools will be open to all from Week 3 of Term 2 (with none of the Danish measures) which is in about 3 weeks times.

Parental chatter is that their kids are done, miss their friends etc and 'need' to go back for their socialisation.

I think people who can will maybe keep kids home.  I feel sorry for the teachers.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yes.  although I think the immune system can sometimes be a bit weird when pregnant so I’m not sure how much can be extrapolated about the asymptomatic cases.

Yes, the immune system usually decreases a lot which is why most RA women do not have symptoms or much lesser symptoms while pregnant.

The thing I hope opens up very soon is the so-called elective surgeries.  I heard yesterday that includes cancer surgery, transplants, heart things like implanting something to stop arrythmias, etc.  ALl these things are  not elective and many more.  In a lot of orthopedic surgery- the risk of getting more serious problems from the surgery and less likely good outcome increases if surgery isn't done soon.

• Like 7