Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

gardenmom5

wuhan - coronavirus

Recommended Posts

#China's National Health Commissions says there are currently 1,541 asymptomatic #coronavirus patients under medical observation right now. So, according to official figures here, there are today 3,042 infected patients. Presumably that number tomorrow will be 4,583? Thereabouts.
- bbc correspondent guy on twitter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WendyAndMilo said:

There are some significant problems with the data for my state.  I don't know why that is though.

 

5 hours ago, square_25 said:

Yeah, the hospital bed thing is wonky for NY, too. Hmm, thank you for letting me know. That's making me more skeptical. 

Same for my state. The site's hospital bed info doesn't match what the NCDHHS site says. I don't know if it's an update timing thing or what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-masks-idUSKBN21I10K?taid=5e8326fa01cef40001c1520f&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
 

german city of Jena now requires people to wear face masks to go shopping.  Given the shortage of face masks towels or scarves will also be accepted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52094491
 

pretty heartbreaking story from BBC on care homes in Europe

“In Italy, hundreds of deaths have been reported in residential homes in Bergamo in the north, while 83 elderly residents went without food at a home for two days in the south because staff had to go into quarantine”

  • Sad 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just listened to a radio interview with a highly respected [big] county health official with some No Big Deal radio personalities (RP). The Health Person (HP) was emphasizing that there are too many people going out unnecessarily at places like big box stores. The RP protested that people weren't close together so why was it a problem? 

It reinforced to me that the HP have not done a good job getting across that this is a aeresol virus & spread in enclosed places - on contaminated surfaces & possibly in the air itself if you are not wearing a mask. 

The RPs were told that many of the cases the HP was seeing were in their 20s, 30s,and 40s. The RPs asked if those were vapers. The HP did not know and didn't really address the RP brush-off. (The RP consistently insist only the elderly & sick experience complications -- and "sick" to them means anything they want it to mean. I wouldn't be surprised if they said the 20 yr olds don't get enough sleep & thus have underlying health conditions of "lack of sleep" to explain the younger deaths.)

The HP also pointed out only half of new symptomatic cases have fevers. I wanted to shake them because those of us who have followed this know this but apparently the HPs didn't acknowledge it until recently. 

I think the lack of clear & consistent message on how this is spread, (lack of) symptoms, and what the stay-at-home rules are supposed to do. 

On a humorous note, my youngest kid have me a new title of President of the Covid19 Operations Force (COF) - pronounced /cough/. Y'all are the reason I keep up on the latest. Thanks for helping keep my family safe.

  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bno - United Kingdom confirms 3,009 new cases and 374 new deaths, raising total to 25,150 cases and 1,789 dead

  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Laurie said:

Did anyone else hear the doctor who called into Rush Limbaugh's show this morning?  He was explaining about a machine called a hemolung that could be used in place of ventilators for covid patients.   The way he described the machine, it is even better than a ventilator because the patient can still talk and even walk around with it in place.  

I only had a short time to look for info about the hemolung and found a short video on you tube.  It does sound like a good alternative, but I'm not a medical person.  

 

how many are there compared to how many ventilators there are?  what's involved in making them and how soon could someone make enough quantity and ship them to various hospitals?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just heard this morning that my cousin's 60 year old healthy, 10K running husband has covid-19 and is on a vent in the UK. Already I think we all know someone or even several people sick with it!

  • Sad 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My strident voice on my local Nextdoor is starting to make a difference. The big hurdle was making people understand that masking with homemade or cloth masks (which is all that is available to anyone who didn’t already have one)  doesn’t take away from health care workers. This dichotomous thinking is so harmful!  

  • Like 16
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TCB said:

I just heard this morning that my cousin's 60 year old healthy, 10K running husband has covid-19 and is on a vent in the UK. Already I think we all know someone or even several people sick with it!

 

Yes, just learned of the second this morning. 😕

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TCB said:

I just heard this morning that my cousin's 60 year old healthy, 10K running husband has covid-19 and is on a vent in the UK. Already I think we all know someone or even several people sick with it!

We're in NYC, so we know quite a lot of people. One of our babysitters is sick, but seems OK. 

Sadder, our other babysitter's ballet teacher died from it. And so did her dad's friend from work :-/. So, uhhh, it's pretty real around here. 

  • Sad 27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@square_25 (staten island mentioned)

Whole Foods, Amazon

https://abc7news.com/business/whole-foods-workers-plan-sick-out-over-covid-19/6065098/
“Some Whole Foods workers are planning a "sick out" strike Tuesday to demand better conditions during the coronavirus crisis.

Workers are protesting what they claim to be a lack of protections, with demands that include getting double pay for the hazards of working during the outbreak.
...

But employees say that's not sufficient. They also want free coronavirus testing as well as sick pay for workers who choose to self-quarantine or isolate instead of coming in to work.

They're asking for the immediate shutdown of any store where a worker tests positive for the virus.

... A group of workers at an Amazon warehouse in New York City walked off the job and went on strike Monday afternoon, demanding the company shut down and thoroughly clean the sprawling facility after they say multiple employees there have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

"People are afraid to work. People are there working and they're putting their lives at risk because there are a number of (coronavirus) cases that they are not aware of," Chris Smalls, an employee at the Amazon fulfillment center in New York's Staten Island borough who is organizing the walkout, told ABC News.

Smalls said the company is not being honest with employees about the number of colleagues who have tested positive for the virus in recent days and that management has only confirmed that one worker at the warehouse has come down with the virus.

"That's a bold face lie because I sent home the third case directly," Smalls said, adding that he knows of a total of seven cases at the facility that employs more than 4,000 people.

Smalls said the company placed him on quarantine on Saturday because he came in close contact with a worker who tested positive.

He said he sent the infected worker home on Tuesday when she was showing symptoms of illness. He said the worker was tested on Wednesday but was allowed to return to work until her test results came back positive on Thursday.

"She already had time to spread it. Her friend caught it. Her friend was the third case," Smalls said. "She tested positive and she's a supervisor in the pack department and the pack department is right before the items go out door to the customers. It's dangerous."

Smalls joined a group of employees of workers who walked off the job and formed a picket line outside the warehouse, making sure they practice safe social distancing.

"We're trying to get the building closed down and sanitized. That's all we're asking for," Smalls said.”

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If @Arcadia's article is the one I'm familiar with, Amazon fired the worker who organized the sick-out for coming back to work instead of self-quarantining like they requested. I'm sure Amazon is being their usual bad boss, but the dude should have self-quarantined (as should have the worker until her test results came back). And Amazon should have shut down for cleaning & sent everyone in the department home to self-quarantine.

Amazon confirms they fired worker

Edited by RootAnn
Added link
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🇨🇦 https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-nobel-laureate-leads-push-for-simple-made-in-canada-ventilator/
“Arthur McDonald, a Queen’s University professor who shared the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physics, is leading an effort by Canadian scientists at two national laboratories to produce a stripped-down, easy-to-manufacture hospital ventilator in time to meet an urgent demand for the machines because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Researchers at the TRIUMF particle accelerator in Vancouver and the Canadian Nuclear Laboratories at Chalk River, Ont., are now aiming to complete two working prototypes of their ventilator, one at each location, over the coming week.

“We feel that every country is going to have to have its own made-in-country solution for ventilators," said Dr. McDonald, who is best known for his experimental work involving neutrinos, elusive particles produced in the core of the sun. “The idea is that the capability is here in the particle physics community. We’re just trying to exploit it.””

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More on the Amazon firing:

According to the company’s previous statements, the infected co-worker in question last reported for work on 11 March. Had Smalls been exposed that day, a 14-day mandatory quarantine would have made him eligible to return as soon as 25 March.

Smalls said Amazon did not send him home until 28 March, three weeks after the exposure.

“No one else was put on quarantine,” he said, even as the infected person worked alongside “associates for 10-plus hours a week”.

In a statement, Amazon alleged Smalls “had close contact with a diagnosed associate” but did not comply when “asked to remain home with pay for 14 days”.

“Despite that instruction to stay home with pay, he came onsite today, 30 March, further putting the teams at risk,” the statement read. “This is unacceptable and we have terminated his employment as a result of these multiple safety issues.”

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/31/amazon-strike-worker-fired-organizing-walkout-chris-smallls

By his own report, he sent home at least one co-workers of that first case. So, presumably, he had contact with a possible later case although Amazon says there were only two confirmed positives at that facility. Works say there are 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mainer said:

A company in Maine that has made rapid flu tests for years is switching to rapid coronavirus tests, starts mass producing them this week. $40 a test, just like the flu test:  https://www.centralmaine.com/2020/03/30/coronavirus-tests-produced-in-maine-give-results-within-minutes/

This references Abbott Labs' test which has been touted by Chicago/Illinois (Abbott Labs is headquartered in Chicago) as being a game changer. Sounds like New York and Michigan get first dibs on the tests when they are ready -- 50,000/day, it is hoped -- starting this week.

Edited by RootAnn
Added link
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/national-international/ships-with-people-from-ill-fated-cruise-beg-florida-to-dock/2264715/

Florida Docking Plan in the Works for Ill-fated Cruise Ships

Gov. Ron DeSantis says Florida's health care resources are already stretched too thin

 Updated 40 mins ago

The U.S. Coast Guard said Tuesday that it's working with Holland America on a detailed docking plan that would require two ships carrying passengers and crew from an ill-fated cruise to handle all medical issues without impacting South Florida's already-stressed hospitals.

If a "unified command" of state, local and federal officials can't unanimously adopt the plan, they'll punt a decision to Washington, Coast Guard Captain Jo-Ann Burdian said.

"There are no great choices left. These are all tough outcomes....the last thing we want to do is execute a plan that someone doesn't agree with," she told the Broward County Commmision during an emergency meeting on the fate of the Zaandam and its sister ship, the Rotterdam. 

U.S. & World

Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony called the decision a “humanitarian crisis” and asked commissioners not to vote based on emotion. Allowing the ship to dock here would burden the local healthcare system and put residents at risk of additional exposure, he warned.

“This ship has been turned away from several countries already. We are the United States of America and we have never turned away people in need or those that are sick but we are in some very, very critical circumstances where we as a county are going to have to determine are we willing to take on this responsibility.””

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/national-international/ships-with-people-from-ill-fated-cruise-beg-florida-to-dock/2264715/

Florida Docking Plan in the Works for Ill-fated Cruise Ships

Gov. Ron DeSantis says Florida's health care resources are already stretched too thin

 Updated 40 mins ago

The U.S. Coast Guard said Tuesday that it's working with Holland America on a detailed docking plan that would require two ships carrying passengers and crew from an ill-fated cruise to handle all medical issues without impacting South Florida's already-stressed hospitals.

If a "unified command" of state, local and federal officials can't unanimously adopt the plan, they'll punt a decision to Washington, Coast Guard Captain Jo-Ann Burdian said.

"There are no great choices left. These are all tough outcomes....the last thing we want to do is execute a plan that someone doesn't agree with," she told the Broward County Commmision during an emergency meeting on the fate of the Zaandam and its sister ship, the Rotterdam. 

U.S. & World

Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony called the decision a “humanitarian crisis” and asked commissioners not to vote based on emotion. Allowing the ship to dock here would burden the local healthcare system and put residents at risk of additional exposure, he warned.

“This ship has been turned away from several countries already. We are the United States of America and we have never turned away people in need or those that are sick but we are in some very, very critical circumstances where we as a county are going to have to determine are we willing to take on this responsibility.””

I don't feel bad for these people at all!  What the heck were they thinking?!?!?  And...the US is going to take this on?  Really???  

I would love a vacation too, but will not be travelling for quite a while at this point.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My county is now at 1.07 cases per thousand. I’m not sure why that’s hitting me really hard right now, but it is. It’s significantly higher than Philadelphia.

Our area has *finally* banned short term rentals, so that’s a plus.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Chris Cuomo on GMA when my kids were little. 

https://abc7news.com/health/cnn-anchor-chris-cuomo-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/6065649/
“BREAKING NEWS: CNN News Anchor Chris Cuomo, who is the brother of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, has tested positive for COVID-19.

NEW YORK CITY -- CNN anchor Chris Cuomo announced on Twitter Tuesday that he has tested positive for the COVID-19 novel coronavirus and is currently quarantined in his basement, where he will continue working from home.

"In these difficult times that seem to get more difficult and complicated by the day, I just found out that I am positive for coronavirus," he wrote.”

  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone saw the USA Today article on "8 Strains of the Coronavirus", one of the researchers who is sequencing the genome wrote some tweets which indicate the journalist didn't have a clue what she was writing. Also, he addressed the often-asked immunity question with some suppositions & a way to answer at least one of the unknowns.

Trevor Bedford's Twitter post

There have been only 11 mutations to proteins that are widely distributed. These are *potentially* functionally distinct variants that deserve attention and experimental and clinical follow up. But my expectation would be most have "little effect" without further data. 

Finally to the initial question at the top of the thread, in terms of immunity, there is a single widely circulating mutation in spike protein (D614G). Spike is present on the surface of the virus and is what the immune system sees.

My expectations from influenza, norovirus and other antigenically variable viruses is that a single mutation outside the receptor binding site is unlikely to have much of an effect on immunity.

However, this could be studied via cross-neutralization assays to see if sera from recovered individuals respond differently to these two variants. These assays are routinely used in influenza vaccine strain selection for exactly this purpose.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TCB@square_25

🇨🇦 🇺🇸 https://abc7news.com/nyc-man-allegedly-coughs-on-fbi-agents-claims-he-has-covid-19/6065798/
“BROOKLYN, NY -- A Brooklyn man was arrested Monday for allegedly coughing on FBI agents and telling them he had coronavirus after they confronted him over his supposed hoarding and sale of medical equipment.

... Feldheim allegedly sold certain designated materials, including N95 respirators, to doctors and nurses at inflated prices.

In one instance, on March 18, 2020, a doctor in New Jersey contacted Feldheim via a WhatsApp chat group labeled "Virus2020!" Feldheim agreed to sell to the doctor approximately 1,000 N95 masks and other assorted materials for $12,000, an approximately 700 percent markup from the normal price charged for those materials.

Feldheim directed the doctor to an auto repair shop in Irvington, New Jersey, to pick up the order. According to the doctor, the repair shop contained enough materials, including hand sanitizers, Clorox wipes, chemical cleaning supply agents, and surgical supplies, to outfit an entire hospital.

Feldheim later told the doctor that he had been forced to move all of those supplies from Irvington to another location.

On March 23, 2020, Feldheim allegedly offered to sell a nurse a quantity of surgical gowns and directed the nurse to his residence in Brooklyn. Feldheim also received, on March 25, 2020, a shipment from Canada containing approximately eight pallets of medical facemasks.

On March 27, 2020, FBI agents observed an empty box of N95 masks outside of Feldheim's residence.

On March 29, 2020, FBI agents witnessed multiple instances during which individuals approached Feldheim's residence and walked away with boxes or bags that appeared to contain medical supplies. On that date, FBI agents approached Feldheim outside of his residence.

After identifying themselves as FBI agents, they told Feldheim that they wanted to stay a distance away from him given concerns over the spread of Coronavirus. When the agents were within four to five feet of him, Feldheim allegedly coughed in their direction without covering his mouth.

The agents then told him that they were looking for certain PPE materials and that they had information that Feldheim was in possession of large quantities of such materials. At that point, Feldheim told the FBI agents that that he had the Coronavirus.

Feldheim then made false statements to the FBI agents regarding his possession and sale of personal protective equipment and other materials. He falsely told the agents, among other things, that he worked for a company that bought and sold personal protective equipment and other materials and that he never took physical custody of the materials.

Feldheim further falsely stated that he did not possess large quantities of personal protective equipment materials and that he never sold them directly to individuals.”

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TCB said:

Already I think we all know someone or even several people sick with it!

I think i probably do, too, but I wouldn't know because of very limited testing in my area. 

Edited by wilrunner
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@TCB@square_25

🇨🇦 🇺🇸 https://abc7news.com/nyc-man-allegedly-coughs-on-fbi-agents-claims-he-has-covid-19/6065798/
“BROOKLYN, NY -- A Brooklyn man was arrested Monday for allegedly coughing on FBI agents and telling them he had coronavirus after they confronted him over his supposed hoarding and sale of medical equipment.

... Feldheim allegedly sold certain designated materials, including N95 respirators, to doctors and nurses at inflated prices.

In one instance, on March 18, 2020, a doctor in New Jersey contacted Feldheim via a WhatsApp chat group labeled "Virus2020!" Feldheim agreed to sell to the doctor approximately 1,000 N95 masks and other assorted materials for $12,000, an approximately 700 percent markup from the normal price charged for those materials.

Feldheim directed the doctor to an auto repair shop in Irvington, New Jersey, to pick up the order. According to the doctor, the repair shop contained enough materials, including hand sanitizers, Clorox wipes, chemical cleaning supply agents, and surgical supplies, to outfit an entire hospital.

Feldheim later told the doctor that he had been forced to move all of those supplies from Irvington to another location.

On March 23, 2020, Feldheim allegedly offered to sell a nurse a quantity of surgical gowns and directed the nurse to his residence in Brooklyn. Feldheim also received, on March 25, 2020, a shipment from Canada containing approximately eight pallets of medical facemasks.

On March 27, 2020, FBI agents observed an empty box of N95 masks outside of Feldheim's residence.

On March 29, 2020, FBI agents witnessed multiple instances during which individuals approached Feldheim's residence and walked away with boxes or bags that appeared to contain medical supplies. On that date, FBI agents approached Feldheim outside of his residence.

After identifying themselves as FBI agents, they told Feldheim that they wanted to stay a distance away from him given concerns over the spread of Coronavirus. When the agents were within four to five feet of him, Feldheim allegedly coughed in their direction without covering his mouth.

The agents then told him that they were looking for certain PPE materials and that they had information that Feldheim was in possession of large quantities of such materials. At that point, Feldheim told the FBI agents that that he had the Coronavirus.

Feldheim then made false statements to the FBI agents regarding his possession and sale of personal protective equipment and other materials. He falsely told the agents, among other things, that he worked for a company that bought and sold personal protective equipment and other materials and that he never took physical custody of the materials.

Feldheim further falsely stated that he did not possess large quantities of personal protective equipment materials and that he never sold them directly to individuals.”

I'm really glad they are arresting people that do this! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TCB said:

I'm really glad they are arresting people that do this! 

He is getting his supplies from Canada. I don’t think Canada has a surplus so he is hurting two countries.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The stay-at-home order in Illinois is being extended through April 30.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I don't feel bad for these people at all!  What the heck were they thinking?!?!?  And...the US is going to take this on?  Really???  

I would love a vacation too, but will not be travelling for quite a while at this point.

To be fair this ship departed from Buenos Aires on March 7.  Things changed quickly several days after that.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many countries are not testing the dead elderly for COVID 19

So, basically, even the counts of the dead from this virus will be wrong (undercounted).

In Madrid, one of the most affected cities in Europe, a leading regional official acknowledged that the coronavirus infection of one elderly woman was confirmed after her death only because the nursing home’s physician “insisted.” Around the Italian city of Bergamo, the epicenter of the country's outbreak, 400 people died in a single week in early March — four times the number who died the same week the previous year, according to the Bergamo mayor’s office. Only 91 of those had tested positive for the virus.

In France, once two residents of the same nursing home test positive, any other residents who fall sick and ultimately succumb to the disease are “assumed” to have the illness, but they are not actually tested or counted among the national toll, which so far only includes those who have sought care in a hospital. The government has promised to include nursing home residents early this week but has yet to implement widespread testing of residents.

“For the nursing homes, there will always be uncertainty,” Bouquin said. “The procedure is a doctor has to indicate the cause of death. And for that, there has to be tests.”

  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the moms on a homeschool forum I am on is complaining how angry she is that the parks are closed.  How the kids need to be able to play and how there is plenty of space in the parks.  🙄

In my area, they are sending out messages asking people to not throw their gloves, cleaning wipes and masks on the ground.  Some stores parking lots are littered with them.

  • Confused 3
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vonfirmath@Sk8ermaiden@Æthelthryth the Texan

https://abc7news.com/health/28-students-test-positive-for-covid-19-after-mexico-trip/6065814/

“AUSTIN, Texas -- Twenty-eight spring breakers who recently went on a trip to Mexico are self-isolating after testing positive for coronavirus, according to the Austin Public Health Department.

Health officials said a group of about 70 students in their 20s took a chartered plane to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico about a week and a half ago.

A total of 28 students have tested positive for the virus and dozens more are under a public health investigation. The county said four of the confirmed cases did not present any symptoms.”

  • Confused 3
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minnesota 🙂

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/state-trooper-pulled-over-doctor-speeding-instead-ticket-he-gave-n1172971

“A cardiologist who was pulled over for speeding on a Minnesota interstate said she was deeply touched when the trooper gave her face masks instead of a ticket.

Sarosh Ashraf Janjua wrote in a Facebook post Friday that when a Minnesota state trooper pulled her over and looked at her Massachusetts license, he asked her what she was doing so far from home.

She told him that she travels to the state every month to work as a fill-in cardiologist.

... The Minnesota State Patrol has shared on Facebook that more people were speeding and driving aggressively in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. "Col. Matt Langer is asking Minnesota motorists to do their part to make sure hospital beds are available for those dealing with COVID-19," MSP said in a statement.

... "It wasn’t until my hand had closed around what he was giving me that its unexpected bulkiness drew my eyes to it," she wrote. "Five N95 masks, from the supply the state had given him for his protection."

... A statement that the state patrol shared with NBC News said the trooper who gave Janjua his masks was Trooper Brian Schwartz. Janjua told him that she was working as a cardiologist at a quarantine unit in Duluth, and he noticed two used masks in her bag, which led him to believe she was reusing them.

"Trooper Schwartz said he heard there was a shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE) and thought Ashraf could use the extra masks," the statement said. "Troopers are working hard during the pandemic and are thinking about all the first responders who are caring for Minnesotans during this critical time."

On Facebook, the state patrol thanked Janjua for "her hard work and dedication."

Janjua said she was worried about running out of PPE during the pandemic "like all healthcare workers and emergency responders around the world."

"And in my darkest moments, have worried about what would happen if I fell sick far from home," Janjua shared.

"This complete stranger, who owed me nothing and is more on the front lines than I am, shared his precious masks with me, without my even asking," she wrote. "We are going to be ok.”

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I don't feel bad for these people at all!  What the heck were they thinking?!?!?  And...the US is going to take this on?  Really???  

I would love a vacation too, but will not be travelling for quite a while at this point.

I think, if they survive, and don't die at sea within sight of land that has no compassion on their inability to take the warnings of March 7th as seriously as they would have at a later date... I can pretty much guarantee that they will never willingly set foot on a ship again. They will have seen enough suffering for a hundred lifetimes.

Nobody needs the US to "take this on" -- simply quarantine them until they can be loaded onto repatriation flights to their own countries like everybody else who accidentally got stuck in the wrong country when the world's microbiology went to hell at light speed. Maybe the ship should just sail around the world dropping off each passenger at their country of origin like a school bus? What else are they going to do?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

how many are there compared to how many ventilators there are?  what's involved in making them and how soon could someone make enough quantity and ship them to various hospitals?

Good questions. I wish I knew the answers.  

I've been interested in hearing about how many hospitalized people with covid are on ventilators...a daily count like the daily death count.  But I've never heard any reports like this on the news, only the concern that there won't be enough.  I've heard the CEO from Evergreen Hospital on MIchael Medved's show a few times since he's the father of Medved's producer.  He has never indicated a crisis situation due to a lack of ventilators, but that things are kind of quiet there because so many surgeries have been canceled. 

I hope there are enough ventilators for the patients who need them.  I have no idea how long it takes to make new ones, but it would be good to have alternatives like the hemolung...especially if someone has to be on a machine for an extended time.  But that's something else I don't know...how long do people typically need to be on a ventilator.  Days or weeks?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

That's interesting, but it penalizes rural people for the fact that nothing is close by.  For example, some of my relatives have to drive a number of miles to get to the nearest grocery store.  And those who have jobs (that happen to be health care related) are driving about an hour each way to work, which is their norm.  It's not like they can do anything about that.  These folks are not out partying.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This reminds me of the scene in The Great Brain book series where the healthy kids had to sleep in the same bed as the infected kid(s) so they all would contract the chicken pox at the same time. I've actually thought about this scene several times during this pandemic. I don't think I'd be trying it.

21 hours ago, Arcadia said:

😡
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52091905

“Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko said he advised his drivers to become infected with coronavirus while the season is in hiatus.

The 76-year-old said he had the idea to bring his Formula 1 drivers and juniors together in a camp, which "would be the ideal time for the infection to come".

"They are all strong young men in good health. That way they would be prepared whenever the action starts," he said.”

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Good questions. I wish I knew the answers.  

I've been interested in hearing about how many hospitalized people with covid are on ventilators...a daily count like the daily death count.  But I've never heard any reports like this on the news, only the concern that there won't be enough.  I've heard the CEO from Evergreen Hospital on MIchael Medved's show a few times since he's the father of Medved's producer.  He has never indicated a crisis situation due to a lack of ventilators, but that things are kind of quiet there because so many surgeries have been canceled. 

I hope there are enough ventilators for the patients who need them.  I have no idea how long it takes to make new ones, but it would be good to have alternatives like the hemolung...especially if someone has to be on a machine for an extended time.  But that's something else I don't know...how long do people typically need to be on a ventilator.  Days or weeks?

 

 

worldmeters has how many are critical in each country or state. (so, I would assume more than "just" being hospitalized.)  this is a separate number from active cases.

ventilators have moving parts, and they break.   Italy was having that issue - and they couldn't get new valves to fix them.   so, each week they had fewer ventilators available to treat patients.  some intrepid person figured out how to 3D print the broken parts and they were able to fix them.

incidentally - locally, someone was 3D printing frames for the face shields, then using marine grade vinyl to make them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

 This is a load of crap.  In my state the A's are in the cities.  Well, yes, of course.  Your grocery store is .5 miles away. My county got a D.  Here it is 12 miles to the grocery store or 30 miles to Sam's each way.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, square_25 said:


As I’ve said earlier in the thread, I think “excess deaths over the same period last year” will be the correct statistic.

except motor vehicle accidental deaths will go down this year.  even if it's just a few months, people are driving fewer miles and with fewer people on the road- there simply won't be as many accidents.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Laurie@gardenmom5@Pen@mathnerd@square_25

https://fortune.com/2020/03/31/coronavirus-ventilators-shortage-production-covid-19-medical-supplies/

“Fortune: Where are you seeing specific constraints in the supply chain for making ventilators?

Carlson: Inside any medical device, you'll have a bunch of common components that you could buy off the shelf, and then a few very custom components that we’ll spend a lot of time making sure we have a supply of. For ventilators, it’s typically components relating to the pump system and the valve where you’ll find the [supply-chain] bottleneck. 

What else is holding back manufacturers from producing medical equipment in time to meet U.S. demand? 

The final testing of the products usually requires very specific equipment. Being able to rapidly scale that test is another area that can be a constraint. For something like a ventilator, you'll have an artificial-type lung that the device has to be tested against, to make sure that it has the right flow rate, the right pressure control. Those pieces of the test equipment can be pretty elaborate. Duplicating them is something that we jump on very quickly to make sure that not only can we get the parts, but can we assemble them and [make sure] they perform as they're intended.

Shortages of ventilators and N95 masks have gotten a lot of attention. What other kinds of medical devices are you seeing particular need for?

Oxygen concentrators, or a [basic] portable system to generate oxygen for patients with compromised lung function. When you're in a hospital there's a bunch of infrastructure built into it: You've got vacuum systems in the wall. You've got oxygen. You've got I.V. systems. But now they're trying to put patients into hotel rooms and dorm rooms and any place you can to keep them out of the hospital—and none of that infrastructure exists in a hotel room. So some of those basic supplies, as well as simple things like hospital beds, are products where we’re seeing an increase in demand. 

Flex manufactures medical devices around the world, but this pandemic has had equally global reach. How have your operations—and your employees—been affected?

We screen their temperatures before they come in the plant. We issued them masks. We check on them regularly. We're putting in systems and processes to allow them to maintain appropriate distances. We learned a lot with our manufacturing environment in China in February. All this started over the Chinese New Year, where many of our employees [were traveling] and then they were locked down and prevented from coming back. But over the last several weeks, we’ve been able to bring it back and we're back to basically full production across all of our China facilities.

The United States has less than 20% of the ventilators it might need for hospitalized coronavirus patients, according to some estimates. Can you and your partners ramp up in time?

[Long pause.] I don’t know how to answer that. Typically a program like this would take anywhere from 12 to 24 months, and what used to be months we're now getting done in days and weeks. We will do enough that it can have a significant impact on the lives of many people. I just don't know how to quantify if it’s fast enough. It'll never be fast enough—because if there's someone today who doesn't have a product, then we're not fast enough.”

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

except motor vehicle accidental deaths will go down this year.  even if it's just a few months, people are driving fewer miles and with fewer people on the road- there simply won't be as many accidents.

At least here, the year to date all causes mortality statistics are notably lower than over the previous ten years.  The trajectory of the line was tracking and then went way low, which isn’t really surprising.  Flu deaths have also dropped.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

 This is a load of crap.  In my state the A's are in the cities.  Well, yes, of course.  Your grocery store is .5 miles away. My county got a D.  Here it is 12 miles to the grocery store or 30 miles to Sam's each way.  

 

Yeah, that's what I wondered too.  My county got an A.  Because in my dense inner ring suburb, the area the thing that people travel long distances to is work.  So now, with few people working, everything else they need is super close.   If I did go out to the grocery store, or the pharmacy, or church, we could walk to all those places easily.  But in doing so I'd probably pass more people than Happymomof1 would driving the 12 miles.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good-ish news from Israel: the rate of new infections is significantly slower than it was a week ago. 

Bad news: all tine high (663) of new cases today.  5358 cases, 20 deaths. 

8000 people tested today.  New infections are increasingly concentrated in several hotspots and reports are that at least one of them will be cordoned off soon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Arcadia  we have a local company that makes ventilators they have stated they have the capacity to up their production from 100 per month to 1000 per month (So, I assume that means they have all the needed parts.) - their problem is they simply don't have the manpower.  They are looking to hire people with the skills they need, but that is what is holding them back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...