Menu

What's with the ads?

gardenmom5

wuhan - coronavirus

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I tried and tried and can't find the article to link that I read earlier that talked about how those who do survive ICU with this illness (as well as other illnesses) often then have PTSD afterwards. 

I would not be surprised if it is worse for these patients then normal. We are not spending as much time in the rooms with them as you usually would with an intubated patient, we have on all the PPE that makes communication difficult and they aren’t able to have family with them. 

Edited by TCB
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 11

11 minutes ago, TCB said:

I would not be surprised if it is worse for these patients then normal. We are not spending as much time in the rooms with them as you usually would with an intubate patient, we have on all the PPE that makes communication difficult and they aren’t able to have family with them. 

I can't even imagine how lonely it must be for these patients. And I am so worried about the ICU and ED nurses that I worked with (you too TCB!!) -- the whole situation is just agonizing.

Did anyone else watch Governor Newsom's speech creating the California Health Corps?

https://covid19.ca.gov/healthcorps/

I don't know all the details yet, but they are relaxing some of our regs to allow NPs to have full practice authority, to allow more healthcare professionals to gain licensure in CA (if licenses are expired or out of state, etc), and to allow medical and nursing students to join. I don't know how far along you have to be in med/nursing school to qualify. I am waiting on more specifics. These are paid positions.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Slache said:

Every job I've had in the food industry I was told I would be fired if I called in sick.

Our state already had mandatory paid sick leave for all employees, and restaurants serving takeout are being inspected and contacted by the health dept to make sure they understand and are complying with absolutely no sick workers. We are ordering takeout a couple times per week to support local businesses. Dh works in public health and has no reservations about it at this time. So far, there is no evidence of it being transmitted through food. 

• Like 2

This stood out to me in this oped piece about Germany's CFR and why it is way too early to draw any conclusions regarding the numbers.

Patients have only recently entered hospitals. On average, a severely ill Covid-19 patient dies 30 days after being infected. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/opinion/germany-coronavirus.html

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Terabith said:

Gosh darn it! I have been saying and saying this to people - there have been tons of reports of asymptomatic spread, reports of how long it stays in the air, etc, and yet the official stance is STILL - it is droplet spread, wash your hands, etc. 

Wash your hands and stay home if sick is not enough, and those pushign for people to go back to normal life and just take "precautions" need to see this. It chaps my rear that the CDC and others, rather than err on the side of caution and say, "might be airborne, stay home" were for a long time saying, "wash your hands" and were saying to stay home when sick rather than emphasizing over and over that asymptomatic people could spread it. 

2 hours ago, ikslo said:

Good. The one persecuting Christians is HIM for putting them in harms way. A leader should LEAD and protect his flock, even if they don't like it. 

2 hours ago, kdsuomi said:

I find it really sad and scary that people are cheering for a pastor being arrested for holding service. Yes, I totally get that most people on this board are cheering for it. 

I find it sad and scary that people are willing to be so cavalier with the very lives of others. And that Christians seem to have forgetten that they ARE their brother's keeper, and they are told to take care of the least of these - in this case the vulnerable in the population. What we do or don't do for them is how we treat Christ. Pretty sure we are also called to sacrifice our own wants and desires for the good of our fellow man. 

You can disagree all you want, but I still find it sad and scary. People didn't have to attend if they didn't want to. (I'm a strict constitutionalist, in case that helps anyone understand why I have that viewpoint.)

Sure, but the people they will then come in contact with in the community, buying groceries or at a medical appointment, don't get that choice. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

This is the actual executive order, but it seems like a lot of the details still need to be worked out by the individual boards that govern the area of practice (ie medical board, board of registered nursing, etc.), unless there is more that I haven't found posted. Newsom is definitely giving them wide latitude to get it done through this order, though.

https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/3.30.20-EO-N-39-20.pdf

I find it really sad and scary that people are cheering for a pastor being arrested for holding service. Yes, I totally get that most people on this board are cheering for it. 

I am a Christian. I work in a Christian organization, and have had close relationships with another (in a different one from the one I work in now) for years. But I feel holding on-campus live services like he did, in these times, is irresponsible leadership. A few weeks ago, many pastors were trying to decide what to do, and maybe at that time they decided to hold live services. Since then, most have moved to online in order to care for their congregations in a more loving way. A few weeks ago, I then wished/hoped pastors would see this coming. Now, they don't have any excuse for not being well-informed. With this virus, it is not only putting into jeopardy the lives of those who willingly and even insistently come to the services (like perhaps some less contagious sicknesses in years past), but the lives of many in the community outside of that congregation.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

😡
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52091905

“Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko said he advised his drivers to become infected with coronavirus while the season is in hiatus.

The 76-year-old said he had the idea to bring his Formula 1 drivers and juniors together in a camp, which "would be the ideal time for the infection to come".

"They are all strong young men in good health. That way they would be prepared whenever the action starts," he said.”

• Sad 11

Did anyone else hear the doctor who called into Rush Limbaugh's show this morning?  He was explaining about a machine called a hemolung that could be used in place of ventilators for covid patients.   The way he described the machine, it is even better than a ventilator because the patient can still talk and even walk around with it in place.  

I only had a short time to look for info about the hemolung and found a short video on you tube.  It does sound like a good alternative, but I'm not a medical person.  

Edited by Laurie
  • Like 1

It chaps my rear that the CDC and others, rather than err on the side of caution and say, "might be airborne, stay home" were for a long time saying, "wash your hands" and were saying to stay home when sick rather than emphasizing over and over that asymptomatic people could spread it. 

Has that changed? Last I looked that was still the view. 

Good. The one persecuting Christians is HIM for putting them in harms way. A leader should LEAD and protect his flock, even if they don't like it. 

I find it sad and scary that people are willing to be so cavalier with the very lives of others. And that Christians seem to have forgetten that they ARE their brother's keeper, and they are told to take care of the least of these - in this case the vulnerable in the population. What we do or don't do for them is how we treat Christ. Pretty sure we are also called to sacrifice our own wants and desires for the good of our fellow man. 

Sure, but the people they will then come in contact with in the community, buying groceries or at a medical appointment, don't get that choice. 

Amen.

I totally agree.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

🇫🇷 🇨🇭 🇩🇪 🇱🇺 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-covid-19-france-death-toll-cases-12590956

“France has increased the number of beds in intensive care units from 5,000 to about 10,000 since the start of the crisis and it is scrambling to reach 14,500.

In the eastern city of Strasbourg, paramedics in hazmat suits transferred six patients onto three Caiman NH90 medicalised helicopters before they were moved to hospitals in Bern and Frankfurt.

Eighty have so far been moved from the region to Switzerland, Germany and Luxembourg. Transfers from Paris hospitals are expected in the coming days.”

8 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Nope. No way. If I wasn’t high risk (and my kids weren’t either, I would consider something like a take and bake pizza, but that’s about it.

Dh goes out once a week for groceries. That’s it. He didn’t even go out this week because we are due to have our spike in two weeks (which makes it likely those people got infected this week). 

I miss take out a lot, but I think it is too risky.

Is there a website that shows where and when spikes are supposed to hit? 

We are not doing takeout right now. I'd be comfortable with it, from restaurants I know well, but I got a hot coffee at a local coffee shop a couple of weeks ago and DH told me I drank covid and was so horrified, I decided to hold off for now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kdsuomi said:

I am glad he was arrested.

The pastor was not loving his people nor obeying the civil magistrate. He was leading his congregation into both sin and physical danger. He was disobeying a legitimate authority. Government  holds the power of the sword rightfully; that is it's God-ordained function. The government was NOT requiring anything sinful, therefore should be obeyed. Churches should be the first to love their neighbors by doing everything possible to prevent the ravages of this virus.  God is not limited nor the Church harmed by online worship. Is it the same as irl, of course not. But this is temporary, urgent, and important. 

• Like 15

🇬🇧 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52087002

“University College London engineers worked with clinicians at UCLH and Mercedes Formula One to build the device, which delivers oxygen to the lungs without needing a ventilator.

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) devices are already used in hospitals but are in short supply.

China and Italy used them to help Covid-19 patients.

Forty of the new devices have been delivered to ULCH and to three other London hospitals. If trials go well, up to 1,000 of the CPAP machines can be produced per day by Mercedes-AMG-HPP, beginning in a week's time. 

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has already given its approval for their use.

Ventilator consortium

Meanwhile a consortium of UK industrial, technology and engineering businesses in the UK has come together to produce medical ventilators for the NHS.

The "VentilatorChallengeUK" consortium includes Airbus, BAE Systems, Ford, Rolls-Royce and Siemens. 

Companies in the consortium have received orders for more than 10,000 ventilators from the government, although MHRA approval is still pending.

Production is due to begin next week.”

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

This is what we did in our ICU at UCSD. We kept an ICU diary where we documented their stay in the ICU. We took pictures. We wrote things down. It was like a scrapbook. I didn't read your link, but part of the issue is that people have this bizarre gap in their memory from the amnesic effect of the paralytic and sedative medications, and it can be very disconcerting for a lot of people. So, if you can fill in the blanks of what happened to them while they were out, it helps them to process the whole traumatic event in a way that can give them closure and help them to move forward psychologically.

Yes, when my dh was in the neuro-ICU 5 years ago, pre and post brain surgery, the nurses encouraged him to journal and even provided materials!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, livetoread said:

This is an excellent article about how people struggle, especially with survivor's guilt. Why me? Why did I live while so many others did not? It can really eat a person up. CV19 survivors that have been in the ICU will likely need a lot of follow up mental health care, and our country is already desperately short of mental health providers. This is one of the reasons I am so torn on which way I want to go in nursing. I love critical care, but so few people want to work in psych, and I also feel called to work in psych, so I sorta feel an obligation to go in that direction because we are so short of providers in psych. Anyway, the scrapbook in the article is exactly like what we did at UCSD. I really feel for that patient and his struggles post-Ebola. The book mentioned in the article, "The Body Keeps the Score" is an excellent book for patients recovering from trauma. ❤️   

• Like 10

@mathnerd@Pen

https://abc7news.com/society/cell-phone-data-reveals-people-in-bay area-are-staying-home/6063966/

“Cell phone data shows which Bay Area counties are abiding COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders

... The data, released to ABC News by Descartes Lab, measures how many miles the typical individual cell phone ventured from its starting point three weeks ago on March 9 and shows how it's changed in the weeks since.

Let's take San Francisco. On March 9, the day the Grand Princess cruise ship docked in Oakland, the typical resident moved 1.7 miles from their home. The next week on March 16th, the day the city announced its shelter in place order, the typical resident moved one mile from their home. And the next week, on March 23rd, residents moved just a few feet from their home. Overall, that is a 99% reduction in movement over two weeks.

Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Mateo, and Santa Clara counties all have similar numbers in reduction ranging from a 92% to 98% shift in movement. Napa and Sonoma Counties, however, have lower numbers with 72% and 78% reductions in movement, respectively. Those two counties were later to enact a shelter in place order.

While the Bay Area has overall shifted its movements drastically, not all parts of California have made the same adjustments. In the Central Valley, Fresno County has a 71% change in movements over the past three weeks. Merced County has a 52% change in movement. Overall, Californians went from moving on average 3.9 miles from their home on March 9 to moving 0.6 miles from their home on March 23. That's an 85% decline in movement over three weeks.

The state of New York, on the other hand, has had a 99% shift in movement across the state.”

• Like 5

New Jersey 

https://abc7news.com/new-jersey-couple-accused-of-defying-social-gathering-order-during-covid-19-crisis/6064107/

“LAKEWOOD, New Jersey -- An act of defiance to social gathering laws allegedly took place Sunday in New Jersey.

Eleizer and Miriam Silber of Lakewood, New Jersey were charged with five counts of child endangerment.

Police say they discovered 40 to 50 people in the family's front yard and the home entrance.

Back on March 21, Governor Phil Murphy issued a ban on social gatherings, no matter the occasion.”

• Sad 4

Rest of the world news

BNO:  18 regions of Russia, including Moscow and St. Petersburg, are now on coronavirus lockdown. This affects an estimated 47 million people

first three cases in Botswana

In India migrant workers are now trying to return home due to the lockdown meaning they are out of work.  No public transport means they are walking.  Villages are being encouraged to put food and water out for them to discourage them from coming into the villages and spreading the virus that way.  Some of them seem to have been sprayed with diluted bleach when they returned home

https://indianexpress.com/article/india/coronavirus-bareilly-migrant-workers-sprayed-disinfectant-uttar-pradesh-6338664/lite/?__twitter_impression=true

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21G0AU?__twitter_impression=true

Turkey seem to be doing more traffic checks/quarantine zones as they are having an increase in cases/deaths now.  (10,827 and 168)

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

VA was issued a stay at home order today effective until June 10th 😱!

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.fbc875f6f3facfa9b9185ace5ed26ecf.jpeg

Interestingly, Manhattan isn't doing that badly. I don't think I've ever seen the data disaggregated like that... kind of makes one think that the subway wasn't the big problem, then. 

I'm going to go look for cases by borough, I guess. 

Edited by square_25
  • Like 1

🇺🇸  🇨🇦 

https://corporate.gapinc.com/en-us/articles/2020/03/gap-inc-business-update-as-a-result-of-coronavirus

“Gap Inc. (NYSE: GPS) today announced that, while eager to reopen its company-operated North American and European stores, the company anticipates the closures to extend past the previously announced April 1 date, as a result of continued measures to help slow the spread of COVID-19.  

As part of this decision, the company will furlough the majority of its store teams in the United States and Canada, pausing pay but continuing to offer applicable benefits until stores are able to reopen. The company has also made the proactive decision to reduce headcount across its corporate functions around the world. In addition, the entire Gap Inc. leadership team along with the Board of Directors will take a temporary reduction in pay.”

• Sad 1

Anybody know more about the status of the chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine plus zithromax (sorry if I've misspelled any of these) and zinc treatments? I have read several promising articles, the most recent from a doctor in NY who didn't lose any patients while following this protocol. I don't have the links, I'm afraid. But my state isn't currently allowing those treatments, which I find really frustrating if they are so effective. I don't want people dying here, when something could stop it! Can't the FDA speed up some of these treatment testings/approvals, with so many lives at stake? (I realize that there is a lot involved that I'm not aware of.) I don't want the people who rely on those drugs for other treatments to be denied them, but I really really really do want those available for my family, friends, (myself), and people in my community if/when they are faced with this virus. 

4 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Anybody know more about the status of the chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine plus zithromax (sorry if I've misspelled any of these) and zinc treatments? I have read several promising articles, the most recent from a doctor in NY who didn't lose any patients while following this protocol. I don't have the links, I'm afraid. But my state isn't currently allowing those treatments, which I find really frustrating if they are so effective. I don't want people dying here, when something could stop it! Can't the FDA speed up some of these treatment testings/approvals, with so many lives at stake? (I realize that there is a lot involved that I'm not aware of.) I don't want the people who rely on those drugs for other treatments to be denied them, but I really really really do want those available for my family, friends, (myself), and people in my community if/when they are faced with this virus. 

FDA approved those treatments according to Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/03/30/fda-approves-anti-malarial-drugs-chloroquine-and-hydroxychloroquine-for-emergency-coronavirus-treatment/#762339fe5e5d

• Like 3

Just now, WendyAndMilo said:

There are some significant problems with the data for my state.  I don't know why that is though.

How so? 

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

How so? 

It says Education facilities closure: not implemented.  It has been implemented. 

And the hospital bed availability is a little wonky given that the state is extremely lopsided with regards to rural vs. city. 

When comparing it to local info, it seems to provide a loose, best-case scenario.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Anybody know more about the status of the chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine plus zithromax (sorry if I've misspelled any of these) and zinc treatments? 

Chloroquine Phosphate and Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate are approved for emergency use but there is a minimum weight requirement 🙃

download

“Authorized Chloroquine Phosphate

I am authorizing use of the following chloroquine phosphate product distributed from the SNS to public health authorities     :
• Chloroquine phosphate that is not approved by FDA for any indication.7
• The chloroquine phosphate must be administered by a healthcare provider pursuant to a
valid prescription of a licensed practitioner.
• The chloroquine phosphate may only be used to treat adult and adolescent patients who weigh 50 kg or more and are hospitalized with COVID-19, for whom a clinical trial is not available, or participation is not feasible

Authorized Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate

I am authorizing use of the following hydroxychloroquine sulfate product distributed from the SNS to public health authorities :
• FDA-approved hydroxychloroquine sulfate that is approved by FDA for other uses and accompanied by its FDA-approved labeling and authorized Fact Sheets.
• The hydroxychloroquine sulfate must be administered by a healthcare provider pursuant to a valid valid prescription of a licensed practitioner.
• The hydroxychloroquine sulfate may only be used to treat adult and adolescent patients who weigh 50 kg or more hospitalized with COVID-19 for whom a clinical trial is not available, or participation is not feasible.9”

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

The only thing I've seen that's a potential negative is that it may cause heart damage or failure as a rare side effect.

• Like 1

ABC - Aus increase rate is down to 9percent

“Health Minister Greg Hunt is speaking live now.

He says over 230,000 tests have been carried out across Australia, and the nation is at the "global forefront" of tackling the coronavirus crisis.

He says the growth rate (spread) is now about nine per cent on average — "down from 25 - 30 per cent growth just over a week ago".

He adds a new partnership between the Australian Government, the states and the private hospital system will deliver additional capacity.

"In terms of the capacity, it means over 34,000 beds and chairs that will be made available to the public hospital system.

"A third of intensive care units are within the private hospital system and will be made available.

"Over 105,000 full-time and part-time staff, including over 57,000 full-time and part-time nursing staff.

"The activities are broad and they will work together, the hospitals have committed to be fully flexible."

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Nick Coatsworth adds that at any one time, there's approximately 2,200 ventilated intensive care beds in Australia.

With the help of the private sector, that can be increased to 4,400.“

I think one thing to keep in mind with this good news is the high growth rate was being driven by imported cases.  The reduced rate probably relates to the travel bans.  However while we still have community spread the increase rate may go up again unless distancing measures are very effective.  

• Like 2

Re. Tonic water. I have been “prescribed “ that for some time for nonCOVID19 reasons. I mix magnesium, other electrolytes, regular water and tonic water. The thing about tonic water is that if you have too much it can cause intense stomach cramps and diarrhea. BUT. I have been congested and coughing for the past month and the tonic water does do something to break up mucus. But use it moderately and I wouldn’t count on it to cure severe illness. 

• Like 3

@mathnerd@Pen

California, Louisiana

https://abc7news.com/health/coronavirus-crisis-at-sf-laguna-honda-nursing-home/6064132/

“SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Laguna Honda, the massive nursing home owned by the city and county of San Francisco, is having a crisis. The number of residents and staff who have tested positive for the novel coronavirus is growing.

At the same time, Governor Newsom is moving forward with a plan to move COVID-19 patients into nursing homes. Nursing home advocates are very worried.

... San Francisco Mayor London Breed said, "Nine employees of Laguna Honda Hospital have tested positive as well as two patients."

Breed explained in a news conference that widespread testing is underway. The Centers for Disease Control and State Department of Public Health have sent infectious disease specialists to help stem the tide of infections among 750 residents.

"We know that long term facilities are most at risk for coronavirus outbreaks, therefore we expect the situation to unfortunately get worse," said Grant Colfax, San Francisco's Director of Public Health.

On the same day, Governor Gavin Newsom told reporters he's moving forward with a plan to find beds in skilled nursing facilities, like Laguna Honda, for the coming flood of coronavirus patients.

"We are also looking to get some 1,000 skilled nursing facility units up and running," said Newsom.

And that idea frightens advocates, including Mike Dark of California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform. He told the I-Team, "It's like sending a child killer into a kindergarten. You're sending the virus which is an extraordinarily lethal killer of older people and sick people into a place which has only those kids of people."

The California Association of Long Term Care Medicine passed this resolution saying nursing homes should not be forced to accept COVID-19 patients.

And Louisiana Public Health, facing their own coronavirus crisis, is prohibiting hospital-to-nursing-home transfer of COVID-19 patients for at least 30 days.

Mike Dark asked, "How can it be that Louisiana is taking a more informed and progressive view of protecting health that California?"

Laguna Honda has just been slapped with a class action lawsuit that alleges abuse of patients. Attorneys say they could add to that complaint, depending on how officials handle the coronavirus crisis.”

• Sad 5

@mathnerd

Another nursing home affected. California 

https://abc7news.com/health/pacifica-nursing-home-pegged-as-covid-19-hot-spot-struggling-to-access-testing-kits/6064212/

“PACIFICA, Calif. (KGO) -- A major testing shortage is hitting one of the most at-risk skilled nursing facilities in the Bay Area.

Pacifica Nursing & Rehab Center has been pegged by senior officials as a "hot spot" for cases of COVID-19.

Sources close to the ABC7 I-Team confirm the facility had 13 positive cases.

The city's mayor, Deirdre Martin, is pleading with county leaders for more immediate testing.

"If people aren't smart today, your neighbor will die tomorrow," said Martin who's concerned about the future of the facility.

"They are our vulnerable population, ensuring that they have access to tests not just today, but ongoing," Martin said.

Although, testing capabilities across the state are extremely scarce.

A recent ABC7 data analysis ranked California 46th in the nation for COVID-19 testing. According to the report released Friday, a mere 515 corona virus tests are administered per one million people.

The struggle is seen not just in hospitals, but nursing homes like the Pacifica facility caring for vulnerable patients.

The ABC7 I-Team reached out to the facility, who couldn't confirm the cases, but did release this statement:

"When we learned of the coronavirus threat, we responded by applying our plans and protocols for infection control and adding new layers of precautionary action to fight the spread of COVID-19."

Administrators confirmed on March 11, patients were self-isolated to follow required social distancing guidelines.

But, it's unclear if the healthcare workers exposed to infected patients were able to get tested.

"I'm trusting that all facilities are following their infectious disease outbreak plans," Martin said. "We need access to tests that are not drive-through facilities."

... Martin confirmed all patients who tested positive at Pacifica Nursing and Rehab Center are out of the facility and being cared for elsewhere. It's unclear how many other patients could have been exposed.

In the meantime, Verily, the drive-through test site in San Mateo County is offering to help”

🇰🇷 https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/coronavirus-covid-19-south-korea-cases-schools-exams-12592094

“SEOUL: South Korea said on Tuesday (Mar 31) it will open school classes online next week and reschedule its annual college entrance exams slated for November as concerns persist over the coronavirus and small outbreaks continue to emerge.

The country has postponed the beginning of all schools' new semester three times from early March to Apr 6 amid a rise in confirmed virus patients.

After a big early outbreak, South Korea has largely managed to bring down its daily number of new cases to around 100 or less, but infections from small clusters including churches, hospitals and nursing homes, as well as imported cases, continue to arise.

Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said the country is not ready yet to open schools as before despite the government's efforts to prevent the spread of the virus.

"We regret that we have not reached levels where children can go to schools safely even though we mobilised all our capabilities to substantially decrease risks of infection," Chung told a meeting of government officials, according to his office.

"It is difficult to guarantee the safety of children as the sizable number of new patients emerge every day, and there are concerns that it might spread again from schools to homes and communities."

Schools will provide online classes starting Apr 9, Chung said, vowing to ensure students' access to technology at home to minimise any study gap. The highly competitive annual college entrance exam, held every October, will need to be postponed.”

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WendyAndMilo said:

It says Education facilities closure: not implemented.  It has been implemented. 

And the hospital bed availability is a little wonky given that the state is extremely lopsided with regards to rural vs. city. 

When comparing it to local info, it seems to provide a loose, best-case scenario.

Yeah, the hospital bed thing is wonky for NY, too. Hmm, thank you for letting me know. That's making me more skeptical. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaybee said:

A friend of a friend reportedly improved greatly on the med.  She had been expected to end up in the ICU, but the med kept it from getting that bad.  Just one anecdotal case but I was happy to hear it.  (Testing is happening in my state.  I thought I heard the FDA had approved it on an emergency basis, but I'm not sure whether that applies everywhere.)

Edited by SKL
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Jaybee said:

I have a friend who was part of the initial massive outbreak in boston (she was in that international meeting where Italian employees showed up). She was isolated and tested when her coworkers tested positive. This was in mid-march, I think. She tested positive with symptoms. She was treated with hydrochloroquine/zinc/zithromax combo and she tested negative for the virus recently.

• Like 10

China Daily:

“Some Chinese medical experts are calling for more measures to contain the spread of #asymptomatic COVID-19 as more such cases have been reported across the country. https://bit.ly/3axGvrw #coronavirus #Covid_19”

I suspect that there are still outbreaks ongoing 

• Like 1

34 more in SA including a cluster linked to Qantas baggage handlers in the airport . And more from cruise ships.

does the baggage handler thing mean they are getting it off the surface of luggage I wonder?

image.jpeg

• Sad 3

Fourth day of lower numbers here in NZ. Only 58 new cases -- still mostly linked to international travellers. We are still hoping for elimination not containment.  We have 14 clusters that they are keeping a close eye on.

A number of cool graphs in this link, including when we started lockdown (level 3) and implemented full lockdown (level 4) compared to number of cases. Also a cut by age, with the largest group in their 20s; and a cut by probable transmission (they are doing hard core contact tracing here). 

https://thespinoff.co.nz/science/31-03-2020/coronavirus-charts-and-graphics/

I found data saying there have been 21,384 tests with 647 positives. That is 3% positive testing rate.  

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So the baggage handler thing has meant one flight got turned back to Sydney and two flights from Brisbane and Melbourne cancelled because they have no facilities to receive them.  They are contact tracing and this might impact on a whole lot of other people.  They are also advising to disinfect wipe over your luggage if you flew in the last 24 hours so presumably there is some concern about transmission that way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4