Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

gardenmom5

wuhan - coronavirus

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/29/coronavirus-fda-eases-restrictions-mask-sterilization-technology/2936670001/

“Then the FDA issued a new waiver to Battelle, a Columbus-based non-profit. It said, “Battelle is authorized to decontaminate up to 10,000 compatible N95 respirators per chamber load” in its new machine that decontaminates the safest masks against coronavirus and can allow 20 reuses of the devices, which are in perilously short supply.

The company has two machines – each capable of cleaning 80,000 masks a day – ready to go for Ohio. It also is deploying machines to New York, Seattle and Washington, D.C. That means the new order could allow for up to 400,000 clean masks a day in the short run.”

 

My grandmother worked for Battelle! I remember getting to go visit her at work as a little girl, getting the "Battelle" nametag and eating in their employee cafeteria.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get take-out from local restaurants.  The one I use the most wiped down our containers in front of us before handing it off.  He also wiped down my credit card after using it in his machine. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at the list by county.  The majority of cases in NJ are in the county "unknown".   🙄

I know my county is in the top 5.  Dh is going to visit his mom this weekend and her county is one of the bottom ones.  But he doesn't want her going out to stores and she will if he doesn't go down to do some shopping for her.   He will be much more careful than any of the people down there who could help her out so this is better, but still not ideal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Press conference at 2 pm today with the Governor.  Rumor has it a stay at home order will be announced.  Finally!!!

ETA:  For Virginia -- sorry :-)!

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mlktwins said:

If this doesn't belong here let me know, but I don't think ya'll will laugh at my question -- LOL!

Are you getting take-out these days?  Either curbside pick-up or delivery?  I didn't realize how much we ate out and, being super careful and staying in, we have only had home cooked food.  Not complaining, but wondering what your thoughts are on this?  Cold food like subs ok?  Hot foods like Olive Garden or Long Horn better?  Would the food be ok, but of course we would need to be very careful with the packaging?

What are ya'll doing?!?!?!?

😁😷😬

P.S.  While I obviously don't want my family of 4 to get this, my DH and I are the only ones here to help my elderly father (he is 10 minutes from me) and my in-laws (who are 93) are staying home.  DH, me, and  my SIL are getting all their groceries, etc.  We want to be here to help them and keep them safe.  I know so many of us are in the same boat...

 

Personally, no—but we live rural and it wasn’t something I did before CV19 either.  45 min drive each way to get takeout would be silly. 

I did used to get some food to go from deli counters or salad bars at the groceries we commonly use, or at a place near to child activities during chauffeur the kids times.

 I deliberately did not get deli counter or salad bar food when I last had that option still, but already suspected community spread because of concerns about too many people potentially breathing or coughing (accidentally, not even talking about jerks deliberately doing that) on the food.

If I lived somewhere that take out delivery was an option, and it was something that I did do before CV19, I would at the very least be getting rid of outside packages and probably  using only hot food that could be reheated to probably virus killing temperature. Especially for any at risk people. 

If homecooking plus well cleaned home prepared fresh food can be done, I think that’s a healthier alternative.  

 But if it is a choice between no food or home junk packaged food and take out delivered I think the takeout delivered would be much better than not eating, or eating potato chips and candy or whatever.  And I think delivery would probably also be better than in person pick ups if tipping delivery people etc is something that you can do. 

I’d have a garbage can to receive outside wrapping outdoors if possible, and hot oven ready ASAP to put pizza or lasagna, or whatever food it is, in oven to get, hopefully, sanitized while hands that dealt with packaging are washed.

and of course stay at least 2 meters away from delivery people, more if possible (Like pay by phone including the delivery tip if possible and let them leave it and go while door is still shut). 

I don’t know anything about the restaurants you mention , but if you go with takeout would choose an individual place you have confidence in and specific foods that lend themselves to immediate reheating for sanitation reasons

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://abc7news.com/6062810/
“Brooks Brothers, a private clothier founded in 1818, is converting its New York, North Carolina and Massachusetts factories.

The North Carolina Brooks Brothers factory is located in Garland, a town in Sampson County.

The goal is to have those factories producing up to 150,000 masks per day. Gowns will also be produced, but the company did not state a daily numerical goal for them.

Brooks Brothers' leadership said it had been in contact with federal and state officials as well as hospital systems to determine the best way the company could help with the pandemic.

"We consider this a duty, and part of our DNA at Brooks Brothers," Brooks Brothers CEO Claudio Del Vecchio said. "These are challenging times that are impacting us all. We are deeply grateful to the medical personnel at the frontlines who are fighting the pandemic, and we are honored to do our part and join our peers in retail to provide protective masks that our health care system critically needs. I also want to thank our dedicated manufacturing employees who are returning to work as we reopen our factories to make this possible."”

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asked managers at grocery store and pharmacy if the community offered hand sewn masks if workers would be allowed to wear them. Manager at the pharmacy gratefully accepted the offer.  Manager at Safeway "needs to talk to Corporate ".  

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Well my Hungarian professor friend is freaking the heck out.  I was so hoping no countries outside of the usual suspects would begin acting dictatorial.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/hungary-jail-for-coronavirus-misinformation-viktor-orban

Are you being sarcastic about "outside the usual suspects"? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mlktwins said:

If this doesn't belong here let me know, but I don't think ya'll will laugh at my question -- LOL!

Are you getting take-out these days?  Either curbside pick-up or delivery?  I didn't realize how much we ate out and, being super careful and staying in, we have only had home cooked food.  Not complaining, but wondering what your thoughts are on this?  Cold food like subs ok?  Hot foods like Olive Garden or Long Horn better?  Would the food be ok, but of course we would need to be very careful with the packaging?

What are ya'll doing?!?!?!?

😁😷😬

P.S.  While I obviously don't want my family of 4 to get this, my DH and I are the only ones here to help my elderly father (he is 10 minutes from me) and my in-laws (who are 93) are staying home.  DH, me, and  my SIL are getting all their groceries, etc.  We want to be here to help them and keep them safe.  I know so many of us are in the same boat...

We never do takeout except pizza, but we vowed to start in order to support our local restaurants. We forgot this week, though. It’s just not on my radar. It doesn’t worry me though, not at all. I haven’t seen anything that indicates it could be a problem. Losing our local businesses sure would be, though, so I’ll try to remember to get delivery this week. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Are you being sarcastic about "outside the usual suspects"? 

No.  I fully expect China to act like China, or Venezuela to act like Venezuela, or Cuba, Mianmar, etc.  Places already oppressing their citizens or with a thin history of protections using this as a power grab to decrease civil rights and freedoms and due process and democratic or representative government in general doesn’t surprise me.  The usual suspects.

But I wouldn’t expect but necessarily in Hungary, or South Africa, or even India.  She was very worried about this happening, as this president has been a wee bit Putin-like in rolling back accountable government and exercising dictatorial power, but I wasn’t paying super close attention.  And trying to wrestle power away once it is ceded is much more difficult than never giving it over to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Asked managers at grocery store and pharmacy if the community offered hand sewn masks if workers would be allowed to wear them. Manager at the pharmacy gratefully accepted the offer.  Manager at Safeway "needs to talk to Corporate ".  

 

There are reasons for talking to Corporate, though. There are regulations in regards to companies handing out masks or requiring masks. If the masks are N95 (obviously home made masks aren't), there are additional regulations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kdsuomi said:

 

There are reasons for talking to Corporate, though. There are regulations in regards to companies handing out masks or requiring masks. If the masks are N95 (obviously home made masks aren't), there are additional regulations. 

I just reported what he said with no commentary on his motivation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kdsuomi said:

 

My experience in food was that it was allowed to call in sick. Employers can actually get in a lot of trouble for firing employees for calling in sick. 

I worked in food service for years. Large university, independent and chain restaurants, catering. Never had a boss who was NOT emphatic about staying home if you were sick! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some very very tentative good news in Israel today -- the time to doubling is slowing.  As of last Wednesday cases were doubling every 3 days, now it's about 5.5 days.  Total cases 4695, 16 deaths.

For reference, schools were cancelled March 12, all nonessential business and activities were cancelled/prohibited March 15.  Beginning March 25 everyone has been banned from going more than 100 meters from home unless for grocery shopping or other urgent business, and the police have been out in droves enforcing the rules.

The daily number of new cases is still rising and the official predictions remain dire.  Tonight Netanyahu -- who is in self-quarantine after an aide tested positive -- added more restrictions, mostly targeted at shutting down the few remaining bits of group religious activity.  

A public opinion poll released today just about blew my little American mind: 75% of Israelis said that they were worried that they or a family member would catch the virus, and 75% are worried about their own economic situation.  Still, 60% described their mood as good or very good.  

 

 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

https://abc7news.com/6062533/

“Updated 2 hours ago

TAMPA, Florida -- Despite stay-at-home orders and warnings from deputies, a Florida church held Sunday services anyway.

People across the country voiced outrage online after seeing streaming video from inside The River at Tampa Bay Church Sunday morning.”

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-hillsborough/pastor-of-tampa-church-arrested-for-holding-large-services-despite-safer-at-home-order

They arrested the pastor.

 

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Good.  There was absolutely no reason why they couldn't still "offer hope" (his excuse for being open) online instead.  I wonder how many future cases will be able to be traced back to his actions.  (If they are even doing contact tracing anymore.)

ETA:  There are going to be people who cry out "persecution"!  But this is not it. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

No.  I fully expect China to act like China, or Venezuela to act like Venezuela, or Cuba, Mianmar, etc.  Places already oppressing their citizens or with a thin history of protections using this as a power grab to decrease civil rights and freedoms and due process and democratic or representative government in general doesn’t surprise me.  The usual suspects.

But I wouldn’t expect but necessarily in Hungary, or South Africa, or even India.  She was very worried about this happening, as this president has been a wee bit Putin-like in rolling back accountable government and exercising dictatorial power, but I wasn’t paying super close attention.  And trying to wrestle power away once it is ceded is much more difficult than never giving it over to begin with.

I was asking because I think it was well known that Victor Orban had these tendencies. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it really sad and scary that people are cheering for a pastor being arrested for holding service. Yes, I totally get that most people on this board are cheering for it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kdsuomi said:

I find it really sad and scary that people are cheering for a pastor being arrested for holding service. Yes, I totally get that most people on this board are cheering for it. 

It's not for holding services. It's for holding services IN PERSON. He could have done it online. 

Edited by square_25
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙂 🇮🇹 Italy 

https://abc7news.com/health/102-year-old-woman-recovers-from-covid-19/6063077/
“GENOA, Italy -- A 102-year-old woman in Italy recovered from COVID-19 after spending 20 days in the hospital.

Italica Grondona's doctors said they nicknamed her "Highlander - the Immortal." They said she represents a hope for "all the elderly facing this pandemic."

Grondona was hospitalized at the beginning of March with heart failure related to COVID-19. She left the hospital on March 26 and will spend time in a care facility to fully recover.

According to the World Health Organization, the COVID-19 death rate is currently between 4-5 percent with the highest rate of fatalities coming from older patients.

The doctors said Grondona is the only person they know of who might have gone through the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918/1919 and the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Spanish flu pandemic killed at least 50 million people worldwide, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I worked in food service for years. Large university, independent and chain restaurants, catering. Never had a boss who was NOT emphatic about staying home if you were sick! 

 

👍

I think the problem now would be if someone has the virus but is asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic.

And is why I would get rid of wrappings and reheat the food to a probably pathogen killing temperature. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

24 minutes ago, JennyD said:

A public opinion poll released today just about blew my little American mind: 75% of Israelis said that they were worried that they or a family member would catch the virus, and 75% are worried about their own economic situation.  Still, 60% described their mood as good or very good.  

 

 

 

Thanks for the Israel update!

Which part of the poll results surprised you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I was asking because I think it was well known that Victor Orban had these tendencies. 

I’m surprised Parliament went with it.  And though I know he leans that way, I wasn’t expecting such a naked power grab, I thought things had been fairly stable.

I’m not sure how well known that is, though?  Most people don’t know where Hungary even is, let alone the current politics of the day or the name of the president.  I’m someone who stays as up on current events as I can and have a a good friend over there and still was surprised and so was she (to a lesser extent, she’s pretty cynical on him in general), so I figured it wasn’t something that was being watched or expected 😞

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, square_25 said:

It's not for holding service. It's for holding service IN PERSON. He could have done it online. 

You can disagree all you want, but I still find it sad and scary. People didn't have to attend if they didn't want to. (I'm a strict constitutionalist, in case that helps anyone understand why I have that viewpoint.)

  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Arctic Mama said:

I’m surprised Parliament went with it.  And though I know he leans that way, I wasn’t expecting such a naked power grab, I thought things had been fairly stable.

I’m not sure how well known that is, though?  Most people don’t know where Hungary even is, let alone the current politics of the day or the name of the president.  I’m someone who stays as up on current events as I can and have a a good friend over there and still was surprised and so was she (to a lesser extent, she’s pretty cynical on him in general), so I figured it wasn’t something that was being watched or expected 😞

 

I'm sure it depends what media you consume? I've heard of him for a while now (I can't say exactly how long, but I'd say years.) But I can believe he isn't mentioned everywhere :-). I read a random hodge-podge of stuff. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’m surprised Parliament went with it.  And though I know he leans that way, I wasn’t expecting such a naked power grab, I thought things had been fairly stable.

I’m not sure how well known that is, though?  Most people don’t know where Hungary even is, let alone the current politics of the day or the name of the president.  I’m someone who stays as up on current events as I can and have a a good friend over there and still was surprised and so was she (to a lesser extent, she’s pretty cynical on him in general), so I figured it wasn’t something that was being watched or expected 😞

I'm surprised that anybody who follows world politics would be surprised.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

🙂 🇮🇹 Italy 

https://abc7news.com/health/102-year-old-woman-recovers-from-covid-19/6063077/
“GENOA, Italy -- A 102-year-old woman in Italy recovered from COVID-19 after spending 20 days in the hospital.

 

Thanks for this!  I am going to share it with my mom who is in her 80’s and could use some good news!

 

14 minutes ago, Arcadia said:


The doctors said Grondona is the only person they know of who might have gone through the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918/1919 and the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Spanish flu pandemic killed at least 50 million people worldwide, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

 

Alabama did an interview series with 1918 pandemic survivors .  Some may still be alive for this one.  An example interview: 

https://youtu.be/5CyvLzYg1P4

https://youtu.be/5CyvLzYg1P4

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried and tried and can't find the article to link that I read earlier that talked about how those who do survive ICU with this illness (as well as other illnesses) often then have PTSD afterwards. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I tried and tried and can't find the article to link that I read earlier that talked about how those who do survive ICU with this illness (as well as other illnesses) often then have PTSD afterwards. 


I think that PTSD in ICU survivors, and their loved ones is pretty well documented.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I tried and tried and can't find the article to link that I read earlier that talked about how those who do survive ICU with this illness (as well as other illnesses) often then have PTSD afterwards. 

 

I don’t know about ICU survivors ptsd, but Lancet had something on PTSD in medical workers:

“The medical health-care workers who are caring for individuals who are either severely ill, feel scared, or experiencing bereavement are themselves exposed to trauma. Health-care workers are also at risk of getting infected, and they carry a large burden in the clinical treatment and public prevention efforts in Chinese hospitals and community settings. The challenges and stress they experience could trigger common mental disorders, including anxiety and depressive disorders, and posttraumatic stress disorder,

5 which in turn could result in hazards that exceed the consequences of the 2019-nCoV epidemic itself “
 
 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I tried and tried and can't find the article to link that I read earlier that talked about how those who do survive ICU with this illness (as well as other illnesses) often then have PTSD afterwards. 

This one?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/post-intensive-care-syndrome-why-some-covid-19-patients-may-n1166611

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I tried and tried and can't find the article to link that I read earlier that talked about how those who do survive ICU with this illness (as well as other illnesses) often then have PTSD afterwards. 

2015 article https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/ptsd_common_in_icu_survivors

“Post-traumatic stress disorder is often thought of as a symptom of warfare, major catastrophes and assault. It’s rarely considered in patients who survive a critical illness and stay in the intensive care unit (ICU). However, in a recent Johns Hopkins study, researchers found that nearly one-quarter of ICU survivors suffer from PTSD. They also identified possible triggers for PTSD and indicated a potential preventive strategy: having patients keep ICU diaries. The findings will be published in the May issue of Critical Care Medicine.”

from a doctor https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/a-message-from-one-of-our-doctors-to-his-family-about-covid-19

“In the SARS-1 outbreak, critical care doctors and nurses in Asia and Canada acquired life-long PTSD from watching patients gasp for air and die because they did not have enough ventilators. SARS-1 was nothing compared to COVID-19. If we do not flatten the curve, Rachel, Bridget, and I will have to witness many of these types of deaths.”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

You can disagree all you want, but I still find it sad and scary. People didn't have to attend if they didn't want to. (I'm a strict constitutionalist, in case that helps anyone understand why I have that viewpoint.)

Was the service held in an area with a lockdown order?  If so, doesn't it apply to all organizations whether profit or nonprofit? If that is true, shouldn't we cheer *equal* enforcement of the law, regardless of who is the group/individual being detained? 

I'm in a lockdown area (stricter than most of you, here in NZ). People here who are sacrificing and following the rules, want those who aren't to be prosecuted. Our sacrifices should not be undermined by those who think the rules don't apply to them. 

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No take out here. We are rural and hadn't done much take out in months, anyway because the local restaurants had sketchy sanitation. We got food poisoning 4 or 5 times from different restaurants in the area prior to the pandemic.  I won't go back to any of them.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

You can disagree all you want, but I still find it sad and scary. People didn't have to attend if they didn't want to. (I'm a strict constitutionalist, in case that helps anyone understand why I have that viewpoint.)

 

However, first responders and health care personnel don’t have the option of “not attending” when someone ends up in difficulties. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

I find it really sad and scary that people are cheering for a pastor being arrested for holding service. Yes, I totally get that most people on this board are cheering for it. 

 

It is not the *religious service* he's been arrested for - if he were holding a concert, or a political rally, or a mass algebra class, he'd be just as liable.  That in this case it was a religious service doesn't make his actions constitutionally protected under freedom of religion.  My right to practice my faith doesn't give me immunity from breaking laws or harming others, nor should it. He was arrested for *violating public health protections* and endangering not just those who attended, but everyone those people have contact with afterwards.

 

 

  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Was the service held in an area with a lockdown order?  If so, doesn't it apply to all organizations whether profit or nonprofit? If that is true, shouldn't we cheer *equal* enforcement of the law, regardless of who is the group/individual being detained? 

I'm in a lockdown area (stricter than most of you, here in NZ). People here who are sacrificing and following the rules, want those who aren't to be prosecuted. Our sacrifices should not be undermined by those who think the rules don't apply to them. 

No because we have the right to practice religion. 

Again, you ask can disagree with me all you want, but it doesn't make it any more constitutionally ok. We can't legally have baptisms, confirmations, or Last Rites, either, in most places, and that also isn't constitutionally ok. 

Edited by kdsuomi
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was posted on the Dallas County FB page, but it really applies nationwide:

"I urge everyone to avoid grocery shopping on April 1-3 unless you have a critical need.

WIC benefits come to low-income families at the first of the month and there will be a surge as these families redeem them.
Many of these families' benefits were depleted more quickly because children are staying home from school and some families are going hungry right now...

Give these families space to shop and please respect their needs by not buying items with a WIC shelf tag unless you absolutely need them."

  • Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bno Italy reports 4,050 new cases of coronavirus and 812 new deaths, raising total to 101,739 cases and 11,591 dead

while the number of deaths is still high this is a significant drop on new cases for the second or third day.  Let’s hope this means measures are working.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SeaConquest@mathnerd

Duke TIP announcement on Facebook 

“After much deliberation, based on a thorough understanding of the progression of COVID-19, Duke University has made the decision not to proceed with any summer residential programs sponsored by the University for 2020.

This cancellation applies to all dates, locations, and age groups for both our Summer Studies and CRISIS programs. It does not, however, apply to our online summer programs for 4th–6th graders (eInvestigators) or 7–10th graders (eStudies).

We share in your disappointment today but likewise encourage you to share in our determination to make next year’s sessions the best yet.

Duke TIP held its first session of what would eventually be named Summer Studies in 1981. One hundred fifty-one students from twenty-five states attended the program that year, held on Duke University’s West Campus. Since then, thirty-eight straight cohorts of bright, inimitable students have attended Summer Studies and helped turn it into the beloved institution that it is today.

This year's group would have been the fortieth to attend the Summer Studies Program.

The CRISIS program, like the students who attend it, is relatively young. This would have been only the ninth cohort to attend the program. That means there’s room for both the program and its students to grow their ambition and discover untapped drive.

We hope all TIPsters, both current and past, come out of this with a broadened perspective and renewed motivation to learn—both for the sake of learning itself and to make a real difference in the world.

We will stay in direct contact with all families affected by these program cancellations.”

ETA:

@gstharr

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lewelma said:

People here who are sacrificing and following the rules, want those who aren't to be prosecuted. Our sacrifices should not be undermined by those who think the rules don't apply to them. 

This is my feeling exactly.

Experts are telling us that the more strictly we isolate, the sooner the "Hammer" phase of virus control can be over and we can all start getting back to normal.  My family is REALLY struggling with mental health and destruction and violence during this lock down, so gaining access to therapy and other in-person medical care again ASAP is a high priority to me.  I will happily go years without going out to eat or getting my hair cut if I can just get my son in to see his psychiatrist again.

We are doing our part by staying as isolated as we possibly can...and it makes me so mad when I see people flouting lockdown orders.  On a large scale they are risking the lives of thousands of vulnerable people in their communities.  On a small scale they are forcing me and my family to live in this incredibly traumatic, stressful, damaging situation longer than is strictly necessary.  All because they want to go to the beach or they want to worship in person at their church or they want to play basketball with a group of friends.  Their wants do not supersede the law, and I am not in a place that I can cut them a lot of slack just because they are young or lonely or having trouble adjusting.

I fully support enforcing lock down orders through police intervention, and then fines, and then arrests as necessary.

Edited by wendyroo
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Pen said:

 

 

Thanks for the Israel update!

Which part of the poll results surprised you? 

 The fact that so many people describe their mood as good while simultaneously being very worried about getting sick/having financial problems.  I mean, it makes sense when you think about it, given circumstances here, but it was striking to me nonetheless.  Also, the very restrictive measures are super popular.  93% of people (!) either like them or want them to be more stringent.  Only 7% think they should be relaxed.

19 hours ago, kdsuomi said:

No because we have the right to practice religion. 

Again, you ask can disagree with me all you want, but it doesn't make it any more constitutionally ok. We can't legally have baptisms, confirmations, or Last Rites, either, in most places, and that also isn't constitutionally ok. 

 

As a matter of federal constitutional law, the current judicial test for a law that abridges the free exercise of religion is whether the law is a "neutral law of general applicability" -- i.e., it applies equally to both religious and nonreligious actors.  If so, the law need only be "rationally related to a legitimate state interest."

A law that prohibits any gathering of more than 20 people (or whatever the relevant number is here) would actually be a classic example of a neutral law of general applicability, because it obviously applies to everyone and bans all kinds of gatherings, religious and non.  And a temporary ban on people gathering in the middle of a pandemic easily meets the 'rationality' requirement.   

In response to the 1990 Supreme Court decision (written by Justice Scalia) that established this standard , a number of states passed laws enshrining the older, more protective constitutional standard for free exercise of religion.  In states that have these kinds of statutes, the test is whether a law abridging the free exercise of religion is "narrowly tailored to achieve a compelling state interest,"  This is a high standard, but an order temporarily prohibiting gatherings in the middle of a pandemic would certainly meet it.

 

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

2015 article https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/ptsd_common_in_icu_survivors

“Post-traumatic stress disorder is often thought of as a symptom of warfare, major catastrophes and assault. It’s rarely considered in patients who survive a critical illness and stay in the intensive care unit (ICU). However, in a recent Johns Hopkins study, researchers found that nearly one-quarter of ICU survivors suffer from PTSD. They also identified possible triggers for PTSD and indicated a potential preventive strategy: having patients keep ICU diaries. The findings will be published in the May issue of Critical Care Medicine.”

 

This is what we did in our ICU at UCSD. We kept an ICU diary where we documented their stay in the ICU. We took pictures. We wrote things down. It was like a scrapbook. I didn't read your link, but part of the issue is that people have this bizarre gap in their memory from the amnesic effect of the paralytic and sedative medications, and it can be very disconcerting for a lot of people. So, if you can fill in the blanks of what happened to them while they were out, it helps them to process the whole traumatic event in a way that can give them closure and help them to move forward psychologically.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@SeaConquest@mathnerd

Duke TIP announcement on Facebook 

“After much deliberation, based on a thorough understanding of the progression of COVID-19, Duke University has made the decision not to proceed with any summer residential programs sponsored by the University for 2020.

This cancellation applies to all dates, locations, and age groups for both our Summer Studies and CRISIS programs. It does not, however, apply to our online summer programs for 4th–6th graders (eInvestigators) or 7–10th graders (eStudies).

We share in your disappointment today but likewise encourage you to share in our determination to make next year’s sessions the best yet.

Duke TIP held its first session of what would eventually be named Summer Studies in 1981. One hundred fifty-one students from twenty-five states attended the program that year, held on Duke University’s West Campus. Since then, thirty-eight straight cohorts of bright, inimitable students have attended Summer Studies and helped turn it into the beloved institution that it is today.

This year's group would have been the fortieth to attend the Summer Studies Program.

The CRISIS program, like the students who attend it, is relatively young. This would have been only the ninth cohort to attend the program. That means there’s room for both the program and its students to grow their ambition and discover untapped drive.

We hope all TIPsters, both current and past, come out of this with a broadened perspective and renewed motivation to learn—both for the sake of learning itself and to make a real difference in the world.

We will stay in direct contact with all families affected by these program cancellations.”

 

Well, I knew that was going to happen. Thanks, Arcadia. They just sent me an email yesterday asking for another payment, so that saves me another $250+ payment. I really hope they offer the kids spots in next year's program to make up for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...