Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yep. YOU GET A MASK! You get a mask! everybody gets a mask!! The Chinese may have lied about a number of things but their citizens, even the kids now allowed out, are still required to wear masks. I always watch what they *DO* not what they say.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Yep. YOU GET A MASK! You get a mask! everybody gets a mask!! The Chinese may have lied about a number of things but their citizens, even the kids now allowed out, are still required to wear masks. I always watch what they *DO* not what they say.

People here are also watching the body language of politicians and county health officials when they give press conferences. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, square_25 said:

Do you know if they are already running antibody tests elsewhere? I know they were talking about in NY, but I don't know if it's actually happening. 

I haven't heard of any other being this close to actually being useful.

3 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Oakland County Mi has numbers has numbers almost as large as Wayne(Detroit).  I lived there for years.......Oakland is the exact opposite of Wayne in terms of demographics.  The very  Wealthy combined with middle class.  Large lots, nice houses, healthy life styles..........they are being hit possibly harder than Detroit........Both sitting right under 2000 cases with Oakland having more deaths......very possibly Oakland has more elderly, but don’t know.   Northern Michigan areas with a large number of second homes, primarily SE Mi and Chicago are are rising quickly.  People fled there and brought it with them....my extended family is there.  Second death in Traverse City today.  Politically some odd decisions like banning treatment with hydrocorzone treatment which just got reversed last night.  SE Michigan is hurting........scared for Northern Michigan because the hospitals are not meant for numbers of critically ill, TC is probably it.

I currently live in Oakland county.  Yes there are the super wealthy and upper middle class, but you also have areas bordering Detroit and Pontiac that would not be considered wealthy.  Areas like Oak Park are mostly Orthodox Jewish and West Bloomfield is less Orthodox, but both with ties to New York.  The other thing to consider with the numbers is the City of Detroit has its own health department and reports its own numbers.  So the 2858 cases and 101 deaths in Detroit is for a population of 675,000.  Wayne County is showing 2221 cases and 93 deaths.  I believe Wayne County minus Detroit is about 1,100,000 population.  Oakland County has 2183 cases and 119 deaths with a population of 1,250,00.  Looking at cases by zip code the highest rates are in Southfield and Oak Park.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

We are not doing randomized tests -- all tests were from contact tracing and required (up until yesterday) that the person be both symptomatic and have contacts to infected person. So targeted testing for the purpose of controlling spread. 

If tests only went to people with travel & contact up until now, it is possible there is community spread (mild) cases that haven't shown up. Unlikely in NZ's case, but possible.

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

How can we have more recovered today than cases from 14 days ago? You only know someone is recovered if they were known to have it, so clearly they are recovering faster than 14 days. I'm unclear then why the rate should be deaths today compared to cases 14 days ago. Is it that healthy people are recovering faster,  and sick people take a long time? 

Like @Arcadia said, they could have tested them after the person had already been positive for a week. I'm assuming "recovered" means testing negative at least twice, but I'm unsure what the procedure is for NZ. China found some people (small percentage) tested negative twice and then tested positive again. Not sure how many might have been false negatives, false positives, reinfection, sampling error, contamination in the testing lab, or something else. 

It does seem like some cases resolve quickly (for better or worse) while some can take 30 days to die. 

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

I haven't heard of any other being this close to actually being useful.

The COVID tracking Project that I mentioned previously has a link to more information about vendors trying to develop the antibody tests. Here is their tweet with a lot of diffetent info: https://mobile.twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/status/1245753521791741953

Here is a link to their knowledge base about antibody testing: https://airtable.com/shrGVEvpWp12RyLAI/tbl4Odk31um8HYSND/viw6ZTA41rEgliH5O?blocks=hide

Many more vendors have notified the FDA that they have validated their tests; expand the "Q: What serology tests..." header at

https://fda.gov/medical-devices/emergency-situations-medical-devices/faqs-diagnostic-testing-sars-cov-2#offeringtests to see the full list.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 4

I keep thinking about the 21 million cell phone cancellations, so might as well just say it. Besides the other reasons given for cancelled numbers, I wonder if some are cancelled due to being whistleblowers. For a while, we were *impressed* by how much the gov was allowing criticism on Chinese social media (yes, a lot was deleted, but a lot made it through). Cancelling someone's number is a huge punishment, since really nothing can be done without a cell phone...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Here is one example of someone who provided blood samples (which were negative) for one of the antibody tests being developed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1243643016956366848

A thread about having my #COVID19 test and serology today (all in 1) from blood in ~15 minutes. Picture of my sample which put on a dedicated chip and optically analyzed for coronavirus proteins and antibodies vs controls. 

This was at Genalyte, a SanDiego company which has been doing immunoassays on such chips for several years, now adapted to #COVID19 in past 2 weeks. This can be displayed in real-time as the assays are in progress.

3 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I think that anything is a possibility with that government.  But I also had to note that in the article, it said that China had a certain number of phones.  I can't remember how many, but it was more than 100 million more phones than it has people.  And I assume the "everyone has to have a phone" thing doesn't apply to babies and toddlers.  Which means that there were a lot of people with more than one phone, maybe because of work reasons, or as the article said because they lived in one place and worked in another.  

That makes me wonder if the "you can't cancel a cell phone" rule applies if you have multiple phones, and how many of those second or third phones were employment rated and may have been cancelled due to an economic crisis.  

I have also seen it jokingly said that it’s all the men cancelling the “secret wife’s” phones because it’s not worth paying when you can’t see her anyway.  

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have also seen it jokingly said that it’s all the men cancelling the “secret wife’s” phones because it’s not worth paying when you can’t see her anyway.  

The long running gossip is that Hongkongers’ “concubines” are in Shenzhen. 

5 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I think that anything is a possibility with that government.  But I also had to note that in the article, it said that China had a certain number of phones.  I can't remember how many, but it was more than 100 million more phones than it has people.  And I assume the "everyone has to have a phone" thing doesn't apply to babies and toddlers.  Which means that there were a lot of people with more than one phone, maybe because of work reasons, or as the article said because they lived in one place and worked in another.  

China has SIM cards for tourists, just like US and Australia. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Renai said:

I keep thinking about the 21 million cell phone cancellations, so might as well just say it. Besides the other reasons given for cancelled numbers, I wonder if some are cancelled due to being whistleblowers. 

I wondered if some of them were how the citizen journalists were getting the word out about what was going on via an extra phone & those were being tracked down & shut off.

• Like 1

@mathnerd SF Bay Area

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-update-bay-area-health-officials-recommend-covering-face-when-leaving-home/

REDWOOD CITY (CBS SF) — Marking a shift in previous instructions, Bay Area health officials on Thursday started recommending residents cover their nose and mouth with cloth when leaving home for essential travel such as doctor appointments and grocery shopping.

The regional recommendation was made in alignment with new guidance from the California Department of Public Health.

The joint release by Bay Area health departments noted the face coverings do not have to be hospital grade but need to cover the nose and mouth. For example, bandanas, fabric masks and neck gaiters are acceptable.

Health officials do not recommend that the public use medical masks (N-95 or surgical masks), which are in limited supply and must be preserved for our health care workers andfirst responders.

Previously, local officials were not recommending the large-scale use of face coverings, but circumstances have changed.

“In addition to shelter-in-place and social distancing requirements, wearing a mask in public is an important tool to stop the community spread of this disease,” said San Mateo County Health Officer Dr. Scott Morrow. “People with no visible symptoms or mild symptoms may have coronavirus and not know it. Wearing face coverings helps protect others from exposure.””

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Acting U.S. Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said Captain Brett Crozier exercised poor judgement in writing the letter about coronavirus outbreak on USS Theodore Roosevelt and has been removed from command https://reut.rs/2R7hwUk

What do the hive think about this?

I am pissed beyond measure. I cannot say that in my public capacity as a Navy O spouse but...yeah...we all know he got screwed. He didn't leak the letter. Someone else did. He's being punished for having too broad a distribution list. He's going to pay the price for someone else's cowardice. God bless him. Sailors will live as a result.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 7

This horse auction was allowed to happen today in Iowa. Hundreds of people from several states attended, most of them Amish. 

https://www.kcci.com/article/hundreds-attend-horse-auction-despite-covid-19-concerns/32020446

Gov. Kim Reynolds said Wednesday livestock auctions are exempt from social gathering guidelines because they are part of the food chain supply.

😡

• Like 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Mom2mthj said:

I currently live in Oakland county.  Yes there are the super wealthy and upper middle class, but you also have areas bordering Detroit and Pontiac that would not be considered wealthy.  Areas like Oak Park are mostly Orthodox Jewish and West Bloomfield is less Orthodox, but both with ties to New York.  The other thing to consider with the numbers is the City of Detroit has its own health department and reports its own numbers.  So the 2858 cases and 101 deaths in Detroit is for a population of 675,000.  Wayne County is showing 2221 cases and 93 deaths.  I believe Wayne County minus Detroit is about 1,100,000 population.  Oakland County has 2183 cases and 119 deaths with a population of 1,250,00.  Looking at cases by zip code the highest rates are in Southfield and Oak Park.

Thanks, I missed the separation of Wayne and Detroit when I glanced at the numbers.  I also forgot about Pontiac and realized it after I had turned things off for a couple hours was planning to come back and amend.  We lived close to Pontiac and I think I didn’t think of it  because I was so used to it as I worked there for years.  Interesting regarding the Southfield and Oak Park having the highest numbers.  I hadn’t thought about the Orthodox ties with New York in those communities.  Hubby grew up in Southfield..   

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Acting U.S. Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said Captain Brett Crozier exercised poor judgement in writing the letter about coronavirus outbreak on USS Theodore Roosevelt and has been removed from command https://reut.rs/2R7hwUk

Appalling, but I think it might be violating the no politics on the board.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Sounds like he didn't go up the chain of command, and didn't safeguard his email from being leaked, even if he didn't leak it himself.  I don't see how he WOULD'T have been relieved of command, honestly.  

5 hours ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

Sounds like he didn't go up the chain of command, and didn't safeguard his email from being leaked, even if he didn't leak it himself.  I don't see how he WOULD'T have been relieved of command, honestly.  

The article specifically says that he did send it up the chain of command, but Modly felt he did not do enough to prevent recipients from possibly leaking it, which "raised alarm bells unnecessarily," and that's why he was relieved of command. There are over 100 sailors on the ship infected with CV — sounds to me like alarm bells are pretty justified. Senator Mark Warner said Crozier was a patriot doing his job out of concern for his crew and shouldn't be punished for that.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

On 4/1/2020 at 4:40 PM, gardenmom5 said:

and . . . .

Josie Wright, 33, was taken into custody for stealing the masks and other medical supplies from Bassett Medical Center in Cooperstown. 

you know other people are doing it too at other locations.  (just like the guys price gouging in TN weren't the only ones - they just went public to whine about not being able to sell their $1 bottles of sanitizer for $70.)  disgusting people.

You know, I wondered if this was what the president was thinking about earlier this week (or last week?) at one of the daily briefings.  It didn't strike me that he was accusing doctors and nurses, but rather that someone with access to supplies might be looking to make some money. 

Agree with you -- despicable that someone would do such a thing in NYC right now.  

(Sorry.  In NY -- upstate.) 

Edited by DoraBora
  • Like 4

ABC - well this is an unusual way to manage social distancing 

Peru splits population by gender to reduce coronavirus spread

Peru has copied Panama in imposing unusual quarantine measures, separating citizens by gender in an attempt to slow 
the spread of coronavirus.

From next week, men will be allowed out of their homes on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Women will be allowed out for essential shopping on Tuesday, Thursdays and Saturdays.

No-one can leave home on Sunday. Peru's president says the goal is to reduce the number of people on the streets.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

You know, I wondered if this was what the president was thinking about earlier this week (or last week?) at one of the daily briefings.  It didn't strike me that he was accusing doctors and nurses, but rather that someone with access to supplies might be looking to make some money. 

Agree with you -- despicable that someone would do such a thing in NYC right now.   

I know people who were in business in new York.  they personally knew people who got their supplies "because they fell off the back of a truck".  it's not just a meme.

• Sad 3

25 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@Pen

easy to understand clip for your son and anyone else. The first 2:40mins have the simulation for coughing and sneezing. UK guideline for social distancing is 2m, WHO is 1m (according to the clip)

I forwarded it to him — I think he’ll especially like the special pictures of cough and sneeze droplet movement. 

The part that comes after the coughing special camera pictures etc with caterers in UK supplying meals is also good! 

And the clapping etc thank you at the end 👌

Edited by Pen

1 minute ago, Pen said:

I forwarded it to him — I think he’ll especially like the special pictures of cough and sneeze droplet movement. 

The part that comes after the coughing special camera pictures etc with caterers in UK supplying meals is also good! 

I watched until the end, but I was thinking my friends’ teens might not be so patient 🙂

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Bno

San Diego County says people who are out in public should be wearing a facial covering to limit the spread of coronavirus

I wonder where they are supposed to get a mask.  It looks like the homemade masks don't offer any protection.   And what does public mean?   In your yard or at the store? 

2 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

These two things, the video and the graphic, are incompatible.

Actually, that was lingering from an older draft post and I had a hard time editing that graphic off that post and finally did it. If you could remove that graphic from your quote, that would be great.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I wonder where they are supposed to get a mask.  It looks like the homemade masks don't offer any protection.   And what does public mean?   In your yard or at the store? 

The bolded is not true. They offer some protection but only about half as much as a commercially-produced, non-woven mask. The weaving itself creates a more porous material with larger holes/spaces. The CDC  website has more information on this if you search. Where N95s can filter 95%, two-layer home sewn masks can filter 50%.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

it doesn’t say mask it says face covering.  Other places with similar advice allow for scarves or balaclavas 

I think they are somewhat protective against droplets if not filtering actual virus?

I am sorry is this has already been linked.  Interesting look at the numbers.....sort of a summary.

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-numbers-covid-19-all-over-place-estimates-1495034

eta.....this is also an interesting quick read

https://www.newsweek.com/tobacco-says-working-potential-coronavirus-vaccines-1495451

Edited by mumto2

16 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

The bolded is not true. They offer some protection but only about half as much as a commercially-produced, non-woven mask. The weaving itself creates a more porous material with larger holes/spaces. The CDC  website has more information on this if you search. Where N95s can filter 95%, two-layer home sewn masks can filter 50%.

I was going off the graphic that someone had just posted on this page, but now is deleted.  It said for virus that the homemade had 0%

15 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

And if everyone is wearing those masks then you have filtering going on both sides which would limit the particulates even further.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I was going off the graphic that someone had just posted on this page, but now is deleted.  It said for virus that the homemade had 0%

Yeah, that was definitely questionable and made no sense. Any decent barrier is better than nothing just from a common sense perspective. Exactly how effective fabric is may be in question. I saw 50% on a CDC endorsed study but it may be higher than that depending on the materials used. The CDC is also considering making universal public masking a national recommendation. Dr. Birx discussed it at today’s briefing.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Those are viral particles that the cloth masks can't block.  I noticed that graphic/chart did not include droplets as a category, which is still how this is spread.  The N95 are musts for people in hospital settings where the virus can become aerosolized into those smaller viral particles.  For the rest of us, the cloth masks can still be quite effective, especially if everyone wears them (so they send less out into the air, and there's less for others' masks to filter out in the first place.  This video goes into it in great detail, and gives tons of data.  One thing he points out: EVERY country that has gotten this under control has had the public all wearing masks when they go out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

The article specifically says that he did send it up the chain of command, but Modly felt he did not do enough to prevent recipients from possibly leaking it, which "raised alarm bells unnecessarily," and that's why he was relieved of command. There are over 100 sailors on a nuclear sub infected with CV — sounds to me like alarm bells are pretty justified. Senator Mark Warner said Crozier was a patriot doing his job out of concern for his crew and shouldn't be punished for that.

From https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/navy-relieve-captain-aircraft-carrier-leak-letter-leadership/story%3fid=69944944

Modly made clear he did not fault Crozier for wanting to protect his crew, but took issue with how he did not express his concerns with his immediate supervisor, the rear admiral aboard the ship who was in charge of the Roosevelt carrier strike group.”. 

“According to Modly, by the time Crozier had written his letter the Navy already had plans to move 2,700 sailors off the carrier and was looking for hotel rooms so they could quarantine and isolate properly. The Navy said Wednesday that it would achieve that goal by the end of the week.”

It undermines our efforts -- and the chain of command's efforts -- to address this problem and creates a panic and creates the perception that the Navy is not on the job, the government's not on the job, and it's just not true," he said.”

He did jump the chain of command, cc’d 20-30 people??. I understand the gravity of the pandemic. But we have known CO’s relieved of command for lesser things, MANY times.  

10 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

From https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/navy-relieve-captain-aircraft-carrier-leak-letter-leadership/story%3fid=69944944

Modly made clear he did not fault Crozier for wanting to protect his crew, but took issue with how he did not express his concerns with his immediate supervisor, the rear admiral aboard the ship who was in charge of the Roosevelt carrier strike group.”. 

“According to Modly, by the time Crozier had written his letter the Navy already had plans to move 2,700 sailors off the carrier and was looking for hotel rooms so they could quarantine and isolate properly. The Navy said Wednesday that it would achieve that goal by the end of the week.”

It undermines our efforts -- and the chain of command's efforts -- to address this problem and creates a panic and creates the perception that the Navy is not on the job, the government's not on the job, and it's just not true," he said.”

He did jump the chain of command, cc’d 20-30 people??. I understand the gravity of the pandemic. But we have known CO’s relieved of command for lesser things, MANY times.  

We all know that’s some BS. Fact is, the RA was ON THE SHIP, part of the command team, and could have pushed the issue of crew safety/health. He didn’t. The CO had the moral courage to say what the RA would not. All of those needed to make tough calls are on carriers. The RA was too cowardly to do the right thing. The CO is being punished for making that cowardice plain. Even more upsetting is not knowing which dipshit approved or insisted (money...duh) on the Vietnam port call to begin with.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Listened to the latest from the pm.  Migrant agriculture workers will still be coming in though they will have to self isolate for 14 days and adequate accommodation be provided . While this will help keep food prices low I think personally it pretty much guarantees we won’t contain this virus. 

• Sad 2