Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

24 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@TCB@square_25

🇨🇦 🇺🇸 https://abc7news.com/nyc-man-allegedly-coughs-on-fbi-agents-claims-he-has-covid-19/6065798/
“BROOKLYN, NY -- A Brooklyn man was arrested Monday for allegedly coughing on FBI agents and telling them he had coronavirus after they confronted him over his supposed hoarding and sale of medical equipment.

... Feldheim allegedly sold certain designated materials, including N95 respirators, to doctors and nurses at inflated prices.

In one instance, on March 18, 2020, a doctor in New Jersey contacted Feldheim via a WhatsApp chat group labeled "Virus2020!" Feldheim agreed to sell to the doctor approximately 1,000 N95 masks and other assorted materials for $12,000, an approximately 700 percent markup from the normal price charged for those materials.

Feldheim directed the doctor to an auto repair shop in Irvington, New Jersey, to pick up the order. According to the doctor, the repair shop contained enough materials, including hand sanitizers, Clorox wipes, chemical cleaning supply agents, and surgical supplies, to outfit an entire hospital.

Feldheim later told the doctor that he had been forced to move all of those supplies from Irvington to another location.

On March 23, 2020, Feldheim allegedly offered to sell a nurse a quantity of surgical gowns and directed the nurse to his residence in Brooklyn. Feldheim also received, on March 25, 2020, a shipment from Canada containing approximately eight pallets of medical facemasks.

On March 27, 2020, FBI agents observed an empty box of N95 masks outside of Feldheim's residence.

On March 29, 2020, FBI agents witnessed multiple instances during which individuals approached Feldheim's residence and walked away with boxes or bags that appeared to contain medical supplies. On that date, FBI agents approached Feldheim outside of his residence.

After identifying themselves as FBI agents, they told Feldheim that they wanted to stay a distance away from him given concerns over the spread of Coronavirus. When the agents were within four to five feet of him, Feldheim allegedly coughed in their direction without covering his mouth.

The agents then told him that they were looking for certain PPE materials and that they had information that Feldheim was in possession of large quantities of such materials. At that point, Feldheim told the FBI agents that that he had the Coronavirus.

Feldheim then made false statements to the FBI agents regarding his possession and sale of personal protective equipment and other materials. He falsely told the agents, among other things, that he worked for a company that bought and sold personal protective equipment and other materials and that he never took physical custody of the materials.

Feldheim further falsely stated that he did not possess large quantities of personal protective equipment materials and that he never sold them directly to individuals.”

I'm really glad they are arresting people that do this! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I don't feel bad for these people at all!  What the heck were they thinking?!?!?  And...the US is going to take this on?  Really???  

I would love a vacation too, but will not be travelling for quite a while at this point.

To be fair this ship departed from Buenos Aires on March 7.  Things changed quickly several days after that.

• Like 5

Many countries are not testing the dead elderly for COVID 19

So, basically, even the counts of the dead from this virus will be wrong (undercounted).

In Madrid, one of the most affected cities in Europe, a leading regional official acknowledged that the coronavirus infection of one elderly woman was confirmed after her death only because the nursing home’s physician “insisted.” Around the Italian city of Bergamo, the epicenter of the country's outbreak, 400 people died in a single week in early March — four times the number who died the same week the previous year, according to the Bergamo mayor’s office. Only 91 of those had tested positive for the virus.

In France, once two residents of the same nursing home test positive, any other residents who fall sick and ultimately succumb to the disease are “assumed” to have the illness, but they are not actually tested or counted among the national toll, which so far only includes those who have sought care in a hospital. The government has promised to include nursing home residents early this week but has yet to implement widespread testing of residents.

“For the nursing homes, there will always be uncertainty,” Bouquin said. “The procedure is a doctor has to indicate the cause of death. And for that, there has to be tests.”

• Sad 5

One of the moms on a homeschool forum I am on is complaining how angry she is that the parks are closed.  How the kids need to be able to play and how there is plenty of space in the parks.  🙄

In my area, they are sending out messages asking people to not throw their gloves, cleaning wipes and masks on the ground.  Some stores parking lots are littered with them.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5

@vonfirmath@Sk8ermaiden@Æthelthryth the Texan

https://abc7news.com/health/28-students-test-positive-for-covid-19-after-mexico-trip/6065814/

“AUSTIN, Texas -- Twenty-eight spring breakers who recently went on a trip to Mexico are self-isolating after testing positive for coronavirus, according to the Austin Public Health Department.

Health officials said a group of about 70 students in their 20s took a chartered plane to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico about a week and a half ago.

A total of 28 students have tested positive for the virus and dozens more are under a public health investigation. The county said four of the confirmed cases did not present any symptoms.”

• Confused 2
  • Sad 7

Minnesota 🙂

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/state-trooper-pulled-over-doctor-speeding-instead-ticket-he-gave-n1172971

“A cardiologist who was pulled over for speeding on a Minnesota interstate said she was deeply touched when the trooper gave her face masks instead of a ticket.

Sarosh Ashraf Janjua wrote in a Facebook post Friday that when a Minnesota state trooper pulled her over and looked at her Massachusetts license, he asked her what she was doing so far from home.

She told him that she travels to the state every month to work as a fill-in cardiologist.

... The Minnesota State Patrol has shared on Facebook that more people were speeding and driving aggressively in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. "Col. Matt Langer is asking Minnesota motorists to do their part to make sure hospital beds are available for those dealing with COVID-19," MSP said in a statement.

... "It wasn’t until my hand had closed around what he was giving me that its unexpected bulkiness drew my eyes to it," she wrote. "Five N95 masks, from the supply the state had given him for his protection."

... A statement that the state patrol shared with NBC News said the trooper who gave Janjua his masks was Trooper Brian Schwartz. Janjua told him that she was working as a cardiologist at a quarantine unit in Duluth, and he noticed two used masks in her bag, which led him to believe she was reusing them.

"Trooper Schwartz said he heard there was a shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE) and thought Ashraf could use the extra masks," the statement said. "Troopers are working hard during the pandemic and are thinking about all the first responders who are caring for Minnesotans during this critical time."

On Facebook, the state patrol thanked Janjua for "her hard work and dedication."

Janjua said she was worried about running out of PPE during the pandemic "like all healthcare workers and emergency responders around the world."

"And in my darkest moments, have worried about what would happen if I fell sick far from home," Janjua shared.

"This complete stranger, who owed me nothing and is more on the front lines than I am, shared his precious masks with me, without my even asking," she wrote. "We are going to be ok.”

• Like 15

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I don't feel bad for these people at all!  What the heck were they thinking?!?!?  And...the US is going to take this on?  Really???  

I would love a vacation too, but will not be travelling for quite a while at this point.

I think, if they survive, and don't die at sea within sight of land that has no compassion on their inability to take the warnings of March 7th as seriously as they would have at a later date... I can pretty much guarantee that they will never willingly set foot on a ship again. They will have seen enough suffering for a hundred lifetimes.

Nobody needs the US to "take this on" -- simply quarantine them until they can be loaded onto repatriation flights to their own countries like everybody else who accidentally got stuck in the wrong country when the world's microbiology went to hell at light speed. Maybe the ship should just sail around the world dropping off each passenger at their country of origin like a school bus? What else are they going to do?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

how many are there compared to how many ventilators there are?  what's involved in making them and how soon could someone make enough quantity and ship them to various hospitals?

Good questions. I wish I knew the answers.  

I've been interested in hearing about how many hospitalized people with covid are on ventilators...a daily count like the daily death count.  But I've never heard any reports like this on the news, only the concern that there won't be enough.  I've heard the CEO from Evergreen Hospital on MIchael Medved's show a few times since he's the father of Medved's producer.  He has never indicated a crisis situation due to a lack of ventilators, but that things are kind of quiet there because so many surgeries have been canceled. 

I hope there are enough ventilators for the patients who need them.  I have no idea how long it takes to make new ones, but it would be good to have alternatives like the hemolung...especially if someone has to be on a machine for an extended time.  But that's something else I don't know...how long do people typically need to be on a ventilator.  Days or weeks?

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

That's interesting, but it penalizes rural people for the fact that nothing is close by.  For example, some of my relatives have to drive a number of miles to get to the nearest grocery store.  And those who have jobs (that happen to be health care related) are driving about an hour each way to work, which is their norm.  It's not like they can do anything about that.  These folks are not out partying.

• Like 5

This reminds me of the scene in The Great Brain book series where the healthy kids had to sleep in the same bed as the infected kid(s) so they all would contract the chicken pox at the same time. I've actually thought about this scene several times during this pandemic. I don't think I'd be trying it.

21 hours ago, Arcadia said:

😡
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52091905

“Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko said he advised his drivers to become infected with coronavirus while the season is in hiatus.

The 76-year-old said he had the idea to bring his Formula 1 drivers and juniors together in a camp, which "would be the ideal time for the infection to come".

"They are all strong young men in good health. That way they would be prepared whenever the action starts," he said.”

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Good questions. I wish I knew the answers.  

I've been interested in hearing about how many hospitalized people with covid are on ventilators...a daily count like the daily death count.  But I've never heard any reports like this on the news, only the concern that there won't be enough.  I've heard the CEO from Evergreen Hospital on MIchael Medved's show a few times since he's the father of Medved's producer.  He has never indicated a crisis situation due to a lack of ventilators, but that things are kind of quiet there because so many surgeries have been canceled. 

I hope there are enough ventilators for the patients who need them.  I have no idea how long it takes to make new ones, but it would be good to have alternatives like the hemolung...especially if someone has to be on a machine for an extended time.  But that's something else I don't know...how long do people typically need to be on a ventilator.  Days or weeks?

worldmeters has how many are critical in each country or state. (so, I would assume more than "just" being hospitalized.)  this is a separate number from active cases.

ventilators have moving parts, and they break.   Italy was having that issue - and they couldn't get new valves to fix them.   so, each week they had fewer ventilators available to treat patients.  some intrepid person figured out how to 3D print the broken parts and they were able to fix them.

incidentally - locally, someone was 3D printing frames for the face shields, then using marine grade vinyl to make them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, square_25 said:

As I’ve said earlier in the thread, I think “excess deaths over the same period last year” will be the correct statistic.

except motor vehicle accidental deaths will go down this year.  even if it's just a few months, people are driving fewer miles and with fewer people on the road- there simply won't be as many accidents.

• Like 2

@Laurie@gardenmom5@Pen@mathnerd@square_25

https://fortune.com/2020/03/31/coronavirus-ventilators-shortage-production-covid-19-medical-supplies/

“Fortune: Where are you seeing specific constraints in the supply chain for making ventilators?

Carlson: Inside any medical device, you'll have a bunch of common components that you could buy off the shelf, and then a few very custom components that we’ll spend a lot of time making sure we have a supply of. For ventilators, it’s typically components relating to the pump system and the valve where you’ll find the [supply-chain] bottleneck. 

What else is holding back manufacturers from producing medical equipment in time to meet U.S. demand? 

The final testing of the products usually requires very specific equipment. Being able to rapidly scale that test is another area that can be a constraint. For something like a ventilator, you'll have an artificial-type lung that the device has to be tested against, to make sure that it has the right flow rate, the right pressure control. Those pieces of the test equipment can be pretty elaborate. Duplicating them is something that we jump on very quickly to make sure that not only can we get the parts, but can we assemble them and [make sure] they perform as they're intended.

Shortages of ventilators and N95 masks have gotten a lot of attention. What other kinds of medical devices are you seeing particular need for?

Oxygen concentrators, or a [basic] portable system to generate oxygen for patients with compromised lung function. When you're in a hospital there's a bunch of infrastructure built into it: You've got vacuum systems in the wall. You've got oxygen. You've got I.V. systems. But now they're trying to put patients into hotel rooms and dorm rooms and any place you can to keep them out of the hospital—and none of that infrastructure exists in a hotel room. So some of those basic supplies, as well as simple things like hospital beds, are products where we’re seeing an increase in demand. 

Flex manufactures medical devices around the world, but this pandemic has had equally global reach. How have your operations—and your employees—been affected?

We screen their temperatures before they come in the plant. We issued them masks. We check on them regularly. We're putting in systems and processes to allow them to maintain appropriate distances. We learned a lot with our manufacturing environment in China in February. All this started over the Chinese New Year, where many of our employees [were traveling] and then they were locked down and prevented from coming back. But over the last several weeks, we’ve been able to bring it back and we're back to basically full production across all of our China facilities.

The United States has less than 20% of the ventilators it might need for hospitalized coronavirus patients, according to some estimates. Can you and your partners ramp up in time?

[Long pause.] I don’t know how to answer that. Typically a program like this would take anywhere from 12 to 24 months, and what used to be months we're now getting done in days and weeks. We will do enough that it can have a significant impact on the lives of many people. I just don't know how to quantify if it’s fast enough. It'll never be fast enough—because if there's someone today who doesn't have a product, then we're not fast enough.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good-ish news from Israel: the rate of new infections is significantly slower than it was a week ago. 

Bad news: all tine high (663) of new cases today.  5358 cases, 20 deaths. 

8000 people tested today.  New infections are increasingly concentrated in several hotspots and reports are that at least one of them will be cordoned off soon.

• Like 3

@Arcadia  we have a local company that makes ventilators they have stated they have the capacity to up their production from 100 per month to 1000 per month (So, I assume that means they have all the needed parts.) - their problem is they simply don't have the manpower.  They are looking to hire people with the skills they need, but that is what is holding them back.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Well, crap, my county is an F. I haven't been out in the car since shelter in place started on the 21st; my kids go up and down the cul-de-sac and go to get the mail 1x per day on the corner. DH goes to his work location 1x per week (we do a grocery pickup on that day), and he's picked up prescriptions. However, apparently my neighbors suck at shelter in place. Our surrounding counties are an A (they have the most cases), 2 C's, and another F. Bleah!

My kids did mention our elderly next door neighbors are out a lot - my middle DD was livid when he left today since we've told them time and again we would be more than happy to get them whatever they need and deliver.  She came in ranting about it - I agree with her especially because he was sick with bronchitis in December. 😢

ETA: after reading some of the above replies about it "dinging" the rural counties. I am in a mix of rural/very outskirts of suburban here. No one should have to travel more than about 30 miles within the county - from the far end to the biggest town in the county. Most everybody goes one county over (rated a C) for shopping. We have a Walmart, a couple of grocery store chains in north and south towns, a Walgreens in the southern town, a couple of independent pharmacies, lots of gas stations, fast food places, etc within our county. We do not have any big box store excepting Walmart. I will note that a lot of people from here who commute into the Chicago suburbs for work, but I thought it was a decrease not just how far you traveled, so this shouldn't affect it, right?

Edited by beckyjo

33 minutes ago, Laurie said:

I've been interested in hearing about how many hospitalized people with covid are on ventilators...a daily count like the daily death count. 

This is announced daily in Israel.  Of the current 5114 active cases, 76 are on ventilators.

Massachusetts https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/11-veterans-dead-after-coronavirus-exposure-at-holyoke-soldiers-home/2264556/

“Eleven veterans have died amid an outbreak of coronavirus at a facility in Holyoke, Massachusetts, Mayor Alex Morse said Tuesday. 

The veterans, residents of the Holyoke Soldiers' Home, died between Wednesday and Monday, Morse said. Five of them tested positive for COVID-19 and the tests for five others were pending, with one victim's information unavailable.

Flags flew at half-staff in the city Tuesday to honor the veterans as well as those veterans fighting the disease, Morse said in a news conference. 

"The veterans and all the people at the soldiers' home, these are people who gave their all, risked their lives to protect all of us, and they deserved better, frankly," he said. 

In total, 11 veteran residents and five staff members tested positive for the disease caused by the new coronavirus, according to NBC affiliate WWLP. Morse said all staff and residents of the facility had been tested by state authorities. 

Massachusetts Health and Human Services Secretary Dan Tsai said in a press release Monday that Bennett Walsh, superintendent of the facility, had been placed on paid administrative leave effective immediately.”

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

@vonfirmath@Sk8ermaiden@Æthelthryth the Texan

https://abc7news.com/health/28-students-test-positive-for-covid-19-after-mexico-trip/6065814/

“AUSTIN, Texas -- Twenty-eight spring breakers who recently went on a trip to Mexico are self-isolating after testing positive for coronavirus, according to the Austin Public Health Department.

Health officials said a group of about 70 students in their 20s took a chartered plane to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico about a week and a half ago.

A total of 28 students have tested positive for the virus and dozens more are under a public health investigation. The county said four of the confirmed cases did not present any symptoms.”

I saw that. 28 cases is a significant portion of the travis County cases currently! We've only got 200 cases total confirmed. No wonder our numbers are so highly tilted to the 20s!

What's more, some of these kids came back on other flights, NOT the chartered plane that at least kept the contacts all together as a "big family group" grumble.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

@Arcadia  we have a local company that makes ventilators they have stated they have the capacity to up their production from 100 per month to 1000 per month (So, I assume that means they have all the needed parts.) - their problem is they simply don't have the manpower.  They are looking to hire people with the skills they need, but that is what is holding them back.

We need to have a separate thread urging people to spread these jobs applications online, and how critical they are!  I'm sure if people knew, they would be applying in droves. Maybe local hotels could host people coming in from out of state for these jobs, with reduced rates and a go fund me or something to pay for their housing and food.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Massachusetts https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/11-veterans-dead-after-coronavirus-exposure-at-holyoke-soldiers-home/2264556/

“Eleven veterans have died amid an outbreak of coronavirus at a facility in Holyoke, Massachusetts, Mayor Alex Morse said Tuesday. 

The veterans, residents of the Holyoke Soldiers' Home, died between Wednesday and Monday, Morse said. Five of them tested positive for COVID-19 and the tests for five others were pending, with one victim's information unavailable.

Flags flew at half-staff in the city Tuesday to honor the veterans as well as those veterans fighting the disease, Morse said in a news conference. 

"The veterans and all the people at the soldiers' home, these are people who gave their all, risked their lives to protect all of us, and they deserved better, frankly," he said. 

In total, 11 veteran residents and five staff members tested positive for the disease caused by the new coronavirus, according to NBC affiliate WWLP. Morse said all staff and residents of the facility had been tested by state authorities. 

Massachusetts Health and Human Services Secretary Dan Tsai said in a press release Monday that Bennett Walsh, superintendent of the facility, had been placed on paid administrative leave effective immediately.”

Yes, they did deserve better. This country is witnessing a failure of epic proportions. I don't know if this was posted already, but I read a pretty damning article by Eric J. Topol, MD, the editor-in-chief of Medscape, one of the top 10 most cited researchers in medicine, and the author of "Deep Medicine: How Artificial Intelligence Can Make Healthcare Human Again."

"The handling of the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States will go down as the worst public health disaster in the history of the country. The loss of lives will make 9/11 and so many other catastrophes appear much smaller in their scale of devastation. Perhaps what we in the medical community will remember most is how our country betrayed us at the moment when our efforts were needed most."

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927811?fbclid=IwAR0qJh0eSle0XCpWcqjtJ8EvJWXAswPk9uX27dgzoQAOrAEypkOkOpFinc0#vp_1

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Aren't they comparing to baseline? 

Yes, that is how I'm reading it. 

It says my county has a less than 10% decrease in average distance traveled. So it doesn't matter if we normally travel farther to go grocery shopping - we're still going as far as we normally do overall. 

Maybe some in higher density areas are choosing the local store rather than the one they really like across town? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I’m thinking this deserves it’s own thread, either for just it, or as companies that are hiring.  Because some people here are losing jobs and if they have right skills that could be good to know about.

but they may not be reading the long thread

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bolt. said:

I think, if they survive, and don't die at sea within sight of land that has no compassion on their inability to take the warnings of March 7th as seriously as they would have at a later date... I can pretty much guarantee that they will never willingly set foot on a ship again. They will have seen enough suffering for a hundred lifetimes.

Nobody needs the US to "take this on" -- simply quarantine them until they can be loaded onto repatriation flights to their own countries like everybody else who accidentally got stuck in the wrong country when the world's microbiology went to hell at light speed. Maybe the ship should just sail around the world dropping off each passenger at their country of origin like a school bus? What else are they going to do?

The US govt advice not to take a cruise was not until March 8; also at that time South America did not appear to be a high risk destination.  

I also think there are some Americans on the ship.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bootsie said:

To be fair this ship departed from Buenos Aires on March 7.  Things changed quickly several days after that.

By March 7th, the people on this ship would have already heard about the issues with coronavirus and cruise ships from the February Princess cruise line experiences.  Plenty of time to have made the decision to cancel and stay home.  

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e3.htm

The people on this cruise would have heard something about what happened in Japan and the Princess cruises before their trip began.  Bet Austrailia wishes they had handled things differently.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/anatomy-of-a-coronavirus-disaster-how-2700-people-were-let-off-the-ruby-princess-cruise-ship-by-mistake

People are getting COVID 19 after these people willingly choose to get on a cruise ship after hearing about what was going on in China in January and on the Princess cruises in February.

I have a sister on the front line of this and am trying to keep my elderly father and in-laws safe and alive through all of this.  I was busy preparing supplies and meds for them while these poeple were taking their fun, exciting cruises.  

I’m good with how I feel about this situation.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bootsie said:

The US govt advice not to take a cruise was not until March 8; also at that time South America did not appear to be a high risk destination.  

I also think there are some Americans on the ship.   

If people were watching any sort of news at all from January to the beginning of March, they would have known that what they are going through now was a huge possibility.   I didn’t need our government’s advice to know not to take a cruise or fly.  I started preparing before government said I should.  To each their own.

Now their decision will get other poeple not on the cruise sick, wherever the dock.  They should be docking where they started and were suppose to end their trip, which was in Buenos Aires.

Edited by mlktwins
Fixing a boo-boo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Yes, they did deserve better. This country is witnessing a failure of epic proportions. I don't know if this was posted already, but I read a pretty damning article by Eric J. Topol, MD, the editor-in-chief of Medscape, one of the top 10 most cited researchers in medicine, and the author of "Deep Medicine: How Artificial Intelligence Can Make Healthcare Human Again."

"The handling of the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States will go down as the worst public health disaster in the history of the country. The loss of lives will make 9/11 and so many other catastrophes appear much smaller in their scale of devastation. Perhaps what we in the medical community will remember most is how our country betrayed us at the moment when our efforts were needed most."

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927811?fbclid=IwAR0qJh0eSle0XCpWcqjtJ8EvJWXAswPk9uX27dgzoQAOrAEypkOkOpFinc0#vp_1

Not only did they deserve better, current service members deserve better. DoD has the ability to shut this shit down and keep members quarantined on base/ships. They have not done this. They need to. Four weeks ago this ship docked in Vietnam for a port call. STUPID. STUPID. STUPID. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/military/story/2020-03-31/spread-of-covid-19-on-carrier-theodore-roosevelt-is-ongoing-and-accelerating-captain-says

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

🙂 https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1245009716935188481

“We have extra FDA-approved ventilators. Will ship to hospitals worldwide within Tesla delivery regions. Device & shipping cost are free. Only requirement is that the vents are needed immediately for patients, not stored in a warehouse. Please me or @Tesla know.
8:27 AM · Mar 31, 2020”
  • Like 7

@Plum@Pen@mathnerd@gardenmom5@ElizabethB
https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/30/medtronic-is-sharing-its-portable-ventilator-design-specifications-and-code-for-free-to-all/

“Medtronic is making available to anyone the full design specifications, produce manuals, design documents and, in the future, software code for its Puritan Bennett (PB) 560 portable ventilator hardware.

The PB 560 ventilator has a number of advantages, one being that it’s a relatively compact and lightweight piece of equipment that can be easily moved around and installed for use in a range of different healthcare environments and settings. And it’s a design that was originally introduced in 2010, so it has a decade of qualified, safe medical use in treating patients.

... But this move by Medtronic makes freely available everything needed to spin up new production lines at existing manufacturers around the world — without any costs or fees owed to Medtronic.

It’s still obviously true that retooling a production line to build a different product is going to be an undertaking, no matter what kind of design specifications you’re starting with. But this initiative by Medtronic is also intended to provide the resources necessary for anyone looking at what they can build today — a blueprint to spawn new and innovative ideas. Manufacturers might be able to look at Medtronic’s proven design and engineer something they can build at scale relatively quickly that offers the same or similar performance characteristics.

Medtronic says the design is particularly well-suited for “inventors, startups, and academic institutions” looking to spin up production in short order and create their own adapted designs.

“We are sharing the design specifications for the [PB 560] to enable participants across industries to evaluate options for rapid ventilator manufacturing to help doctors and patients dealing with COVID-19,” said John Jordan, External Communications Director at the Minimally Invasive Therapies Group at Medtronic.

It’s worth noting that Medtronic isn’t open-sourcing the PB 560’s design exactly: it’s issuing a special “permissive license” specifically for the purposes of addressing this global coronavirus pandemic, and its term ends either when the World Health Organization’s official Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) is declared over, or on October 1, 2024, whichever comes first.

Still, it’s a sign of the extent and seriousness of the COVID-19 crisis that for-profit corporations like Medtronic would even consider doing something like making free for broad public use a code technology they’ve developed, even if only for a fixed time frame.

Any startup or hardware maker interested in checking out the plans for the PB 560 and potentially using them to build their own equipment can register here to agree to the license and get access to the files.”

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Not only did they deserve better, current service members deserve better. DoD has the ability to shut this shit down and keep members quarantined on base/ships. They have not done this. They need to. Four weeks ago this ship docked in Vietnam for a port call. STUPID. STUPID. STUPID. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/military/story/2020-03-31/spread-of-covid-19-on-carrier-theodore-roosevelt-is-ongoing-and-accelerating-captain-says

I am hoping that this story breaking wakes up a few people who have a misguided notion of what combat readiness means in the face of a pandemic. Or at least causes them to see how embarrassing it would be politically to repeat this scenario knowing the cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beckyjo said:

Yes, that is how I'm reading it. 

It says my county has a less than 10% decrease in average distance traveled. So it doesn't matter if we normally travel farther to go grocery shopping - we're still going as far as we normally do overall. 

Maybe some in higher density areas are choosing the local store rather than the one they really like across town? 

My county probably deserves its C, but a high percentage of my small rural town either works at the local hospital, a local manufacturing plant, or for the utilities. (The school system is another large employer, but more like 10% vs. 50%+ for the other three listed.) So, most of those are still working.

For us, I've chosen to travel into the bigger town (30 min away, still under 7,500 population) to take advantage of Wal-Mart pickup than walk across the street to enter the grocery store in person. So yeah, traveling further. 

@RootAnn@Pen

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-covid-19-uk-boy-dies-12596462

“LONDON: A 13-year-old British boy has died days after testing positive for COVID-19, hospital officials and his family said on Tuesday (Mar 31), with relatives saying he had no underlying illnesses.

The boy, who died Monday at King's College Hospital in London, is believed to be Britain's youngest confirmed death in the coronavirus pandemic.

A 12-year-old girl, whose death was confirmed earlier on Tuesday in Belgium, is thought to be Europe's youngest victim.

The boy's family said Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab "started showing symptoms and had difficulties breathing" before he was admitted to hospital.

"He was put on a ventilator and then put into an induced coma but sadly died yesterday morning," the family said through a family friend, Mark Stephenson, adding: "We are beyond devastated."

Nathalie MacDermott, a lecturer at King's College, said: "While we know it is much less likely for children to suffer severe COVID-19 infection than older adults, this case highlights the importance of us all taking the precautions we can to reduce the spread of infection in the UK and worldwide."

She urged research into deaths outside the groups expected to succumb to infection as it "may indicate an underlying genetic susceptibility."

On Tuesday, Britain announced 381 deaths from COVID-19 in the past 24 hours, the highest figure in the country since the start of the pandemic, bringing the death toll to 1,789.”

• Sad 9

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/france-production-masks-respirators-covid-19-macron-12594786

“Macron said consumption of face masks in France had soared from 4 million per week to more than 40 million and the state's pre-crisis inventory of 140 million masks was insufficient.

"Before, we believed that we could import masks quickly and in great quantity from the other side of the world ... and that we did not need to store billions and billions of face masks," Macron said during a visit to the Kolmi-Hopen face mask factory near Angers, western France.

He added the world has changed and that there is now unprecedented tension on global markets and that France needed to boost domestic production to become self-sufficient.

France has ordered more than one billion face masks from China and the first orders are already arriving, Macron said.

France's four face mask factories will also boost their combined output from 3.3 million per week before the start of the crisis to 10 million per week by end April, and production by new players such as car parts maker Faurecia, tire maker Michelin and retailer Intermarché will push total output to 15 million per week, Macron said.

In addition, in three to four weeks the country will also be able to produce a million masks per day for people in other professions than the medical sector, he said.

Macron said a consortium led by respirator maker Air Liquide and including car parts maker Valeo, carmaker PSA and Schneider Electric, will produce some 10,000 ventilators by mid-May.

Some 250 emergency rooms ventilators will be delivered in the coming eight days, he added.

France has also boosted its production of disinfecting hand gel from 40,000 liters per day to 500,000 litres per day.

The French government will fund the purchase of masks and ventilators with a 4 billion euro (US$4.4 billion) boost to the state health budget.“

@SeaConquest

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/national-international/cruise-ships-no-longer-able-to-drop-off-passengers-in-sd-under-new-restrictions/2264762/

“Several cruise ship passengers have been able to disembark in San Diego over the past two weeks but after Tuesday, those vessels will no longer be able to drop off its passengers in America’s Finest City through the end of the coronavirus pandemic.

County officials announced Monday during a coronavirus update that cruise ships will only be able to dock in San Diego for fuel or for supplies. The move was made amid concerns of COVID-19.

On Tuesday, county health officials confirmed a passenger aboard the Celebrity Eclipse tested positive for the novel coronavirus. It's the last ship that's allowed to drop off passengers in the city and it will continue to do so on Tuesday. Passengers will be screened prior to their departure and only those who have no symptoms or fever will be released.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention urge Celebrity Eclipse passengers to self-quarantine for 14 days once they arrive home as a precaution.

A Disney Cruise ship that docked at the Port of San Diego last week said in a statement that two crewmembers and a “handful of guests” tested positive for the novel coronavirus.”

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, square_25 said:

On the one hand, that's really sad for the kids and the families. 

On the other hand, focusing on these extremely events definitely increases panic. From what I've seen, this disease is NOT worse than the flu in minors (please correct me if I'm wrong.) I feel like keeping track of the rare minors it does kill isn't useful. 

I wonder if they are highlighting it in an attempt to get through to those young people who are unconcerned because they perceive no threat to themselves as individuals and are reluctant to comply with social distancing?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, square_25 said:

On the one hand, that's really sad for the kids and the families. 

On the other hand, focusing on these extremely events definitely increases panic. From what I've seen, this disease is NOT worse than the flu in minors (please correct me if I'm wrong.) I feel like keeping track of the rare minors it does kill isn't useful. 

I suspect if they look more closely he may have had an undiagnosed underlying problem.   I think we will never know, but I hope the family is able to receive more information for their peace of mind.  How awful for them.

23 minutes ago, square_25 said:

1 minute ago, TCB said:

I wonder if they are highlighting it in an attempt to get through to those young people who are unconcerned because they perceive no threat to themselves as individuals and are reluctant to comply with social distancing?

Parents too. Some parents are thinking kids won’t be infected 🙃
Also the initial messages on social media were that elderly and people with underlying conditions are the only ones susceptible, think they are just doing their job as news journalists to raise awareness now. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I suspect if they look more closely he may have had an undiagnosed underlying problem.   I think we will never know, but I hope the family is able to receive more information for their peace of mind.  How awful for them.

18 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Still, the kid stories without the context of the larger infection statistics backing up that children catching it and experiencing severe complications and death is a statistically extremely rare occurrence is misleading to the point it looks like a scare tactic.  And that sort of reporting in other area has already damaged the credibility of many outlets, so you think they’d want to be painfully accurate and fastidious  😬

Maybe.  Or maybe that tuberculosis vaccine infants get in other countries REALLY DOES prevent deaths from children, and maybe it's partially the reason why younger people have some of their immunity. So far the infant that died in Chicago they haven't found a good explanation.  I'm sure they'll run genetic tests and do a full autopsy, but we don't know what happened.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, square_25 said:

But it's extremely uncommon. What is the point of raising awareness for something less likely to kill your kid than the flu? Or then being in a car? (Again, correct me if I'm wrong.) 

I think if they promote the message heavily that kids don’t die and then one kid does they are going to get a pretty negative reaction.  But yeah to some extent it’s just about running a human interest story.

44 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

In the stat report I posted yesterday from New York with the breakdown they had pre existing, no pre existing and being ascertained so I think they are looking for them.