Jump to content

Menu
The Well-Trained Mind Community

Recommended Posts

As for Global Trade, there are 2 things in the NZ news

1) the NZ government have just restricted all prescriptions to 1 month only.  They have said that we are a food exporter so there is plenty of food, but we are a drug importer so they have decided to control distribution.  NOT ration (yet) but they are concerned that they will not be able to bring drugs in and they don't want people hoarding prescriptions in their homes.

2) The docks are getting full with containers that cannot be unloaded to closed businesses.  By Friday, there will be no place to bring in goods.  In addition, they have to actually empty the containers of goods that no one is currently buying (non-essential businesses are required to close), because they need the containers to ship goods out.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Ausmumof3

    3103

  • Pen

    2384

  • Arcadia

    1337

  • prairiewindmomma

    305

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DS got home 3 hours ago!  ❤️❤️

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

That's not a blanket right.  If my religion required human sacrifice, I can't practice it.  If my religion required sexual assault, I can't practice it. Freedom of religion isn't a blanket right

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

There should be quota exceptions for big families or remote people I think.  Like show your medicare card for big families or drivers license for rural 

Well, I went out this morning and had a list for us, my in-laws and my ds who lives in his own apartment.  Limit of two on milk so I did my in-laws shopping list.  Checked out, went to my car.  Came back in and did the other two lists.  So I ended up with three gallons because my mil contributed one 🙂.  No one said a word and if they did I would have shown them my list which was clearly showing three households.  If you are in a pickle with the limits I would just make multiple trips in and out on the same trip.  No guilt because otherwise you're making multiple trips per week.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

😞 https://abc7.com/health/grand-princess-cruise-ship-passengers-headed-home-after-2-week-quarantine/5996768/

“March 26, 2020
11 a.m. 
Two Grand Princess passengers die at Travis Air Force Base
Two passengers who were quarantined at Travis Air Force Base after a stay on the Grand Princess cruise ship died of complications due to the coronavirus, the Department of Health and Human Services confirmed Thursday. The men died on March 21 and March 23. After disembarking the ship, the patients were transferred to local medical facilities, and later, Travis Air Force Base. Health officials have not disclosed their ages.”

  • Sad 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

 I think this is the second or third time I’ve seen you( not sure, maybe someone else) write that NYC won’t need that even at the peak, that Coumo’s overreacting, etc.

I can not find any data to prove or disprove that. Where are you getting this, just from the comments at the briefing? Did they give any data to support that? Because I feel like Cuomo is a highly intelligent guy who’s listening to a myriad of intelligent health professionals and would perhaps be in a better place to understand what’s going on in NYC.

I don't know whether someone else has also said this, but I think I said it twice in the context of one "conversation" with square.  Fwiw, I thought earlier that I should have added a comment to say he probably won't need them at the peak rather than he won't need them, because no one can be absolutely sure.  This thread moves fast and I have a lot to do, so I let it go.

I'm sure Gov Cuomo is getting solid advice about what he might need as he tries to prepare for the impact of this growing crisis for New York.  It occurred to me that he may be using the 30k number as a point of negotiation:  hoping to get that many, but knowing that isn't possible right now.  Maybe not.  If I'm very honest, I would say he might also want to inflate that number for political reasons -- long-time politicians of all stripes are always on the campaign trail.

"Just the comments at the briefing" are not insignificant, as they are based on the data collected about cases elsewhere in the world.  I suspect that people on this board will dismiss such numbers, as they were obtained from untrustworthy China, or testing-more-than-we-are South Korea, or some other nation that is handling this differently from our own.

I think Dr. Birx's point is that 30k vents at one time won't be required (and that such statements frighten people unnecessarily) because the data doesn't bear out that number of patients requiring them in the next few weeks.  She added that the mathematical models that show such a need are worst case/no mitigation models, and that they show the progress of the virus over successive waves (fall 2020, etc.). In NY, the mitigation strategies appear to be making a difference, though it takes time to know for sure, but the task force is focused on dealing with this current wave.  Of course, anything is possible.  I could be wrong, but I'm listening to Drs. Birx and Fauci. 

I humbly apologize for upsetting you.

(I also try to watch Gov Cuomo's daily briefings because I have a personal connection to NYC.  My very, very dear BIL lives on lower east side of Manhattan.  He is a former smoker.  I am concerned about him, but he is taking the directives to stay at home seriously, so I remain very hopeful.)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

I don't know whether someone else has also said this, but I think I said it twice in the context of one "conversation" with square.  Fwiw, I thought earlier that I should have added a comment to say he probably won't need them at the peak rather than he won't need them, because no one can be absolutely sure.  This thread moves fast and I have a lot to do, so I let it go.

I'm sure Gov Cuomo is getting solid advice about what he might need as he tries to prepare for the impact of this growing crisis for New York.  It occurred to me that he may be using the 30k number as a point of negotiation:  hoping to get that many, but knowing that isn't possible right now.  Maybe not.  If I'm very honest, I would say he might also want to inflate that number for political reasons -- long-time politicians of all stripes are always on the campaign trail.

"Just the comments at the briefing" are not insignificant, as they are based on the data collected about cases elsewhere in the world.  I suspect that people on this board will dismiss such numbers, as they were obtained from untrustworthy China, or testing-more-than-we-are South Korea, or some other nation that is handling this differently from our own.

I think Dr. Birx's point is that 30k vents at one time won't be required (and that such statements frighten people unnecessarily) because the data doesn't bear out that number of patients requiring them in the next few weeks.  She added that the mathematical models that show such a need are worst case/no mitigation models, and that they show the progress of the virus over successive waves (fall 2020, etc.). In NY, the mitigation strategies appear to be making a difference, though it takes time to know for sure, but the task force is focused on dealing with this current wave.  Of course, anything is possible.  I could be wrong, but I'm listening to Drs. Birx and Fauci. 

I humbly apologize for upsetting you.

(I also try to watch Gov Cuomo's daily briefings because I have a personal connection to NYC.  My very, very dear BIL lives on lower east side of Manhattan.  He is a former smoker.  I am concerned about him, but he is taking the directives to stay at home seriously, so I remain very hopeful.)

I don't know if he will need 30K vents but I can understand him wanting to try and get them if he has been told there is a possibility they might be needed. I can also understand saying he needs them now because he knows that it is not the kind of thing that you can obtain quickly and if he were to say he will need them in so many weeks the urgency to start procuring them may be less.

I just read an account, on a healthcare workers FB group, from a ER dr in New Orleans and they are filling up bed after bed and have many intubated patients that they are expecting to have to ventilate for at least 10-11 days. I don't have TV etc so don't follow the usual news channels etc but I haven't seen too much about New Orleans in the headlines - maybe I missed it - but if they are so busy I can certainly imagine NY being extremely crazy. I should add that I can not prove that it was written by an ER dr in New Orleans but it certainly sounded genuine and in keeping with other accounts I have read about Seattle and New York and also Italy.

I think the problem is that no one can say for sure what's going to happen but as a healthcare worker I'm all for over preparing rather than premature reassurances that may not be true.

I hope your BIL is safe and stays well!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

@TCB@Pen@mathnerd@BeachGal

UK, University of London (2:42mins)

 

Thanks for linking that! I saw something about it and it is great that they have come up with something so quickly and that is reliable and relatively easy to build. I'm just wondering how it will work for ARDS patients. They need to have their peak airway pressures carefully limited to prevent damage and also have their Inspiration/Expiration ratios manipulated, and I wonder if that will be possible with this mechanism. It is so encouraging to see the amazing things that we humans can do in a crisis!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Re. New Orleans specifically, and Louisiana in general. I was just reading about the explosion of cases starting there.  This is after they went ahead and had Mardi Gras.  They have never had a good history of dealing with crises there and I think that this will be even worse because they are competing with other states for supplies etc. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Re. New Orleans specifically, and Louisiana in general. I was just reading about the explosion of cases starting there.  This is after they went ahead and had Mardi Gras.  They have never had a good history of dealing with crises there and I think that this will be even worse because they are competing with other states for supplies etc. 

 

Early on, the number of cases in Ohio and Louisiana was similar. In mid-March, the governors of both Ohio and Louisiana closed schools. Ohio's primary election was postponed, and the huge St. Patrick's Day parades in Cleveland and other parts of Ohio were cancelled.   

But two weeks before that, around February 25, Mardi Gras celebrations proceeded as usual in Louisiana. Given what we know about the progression of the disease (anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks from exposure to symptoms, and two weeks after symptoms begin to when many patients take a real turn for the worse) it stands to reason that the explosion of cases Louisiana is seeing now is related to Mardi Gras festivities a month ago. That suggests the closure of schools and other social distancing measures in LA came a couple weeks too late.

I live in Ohio, but I'm of Acadian descent and love Mardi Gras. It hurts my heart that the celebrations that are so great for community spirit and culture have such dangerous consequences right now, in terms of public health. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Acadie said:

 

Early on, the number of cases in Ohio and Louisiana was similar. In mid-March, the governors of both Ohio and Louisiana closed schools. Ohio's primary election was postponed, and the huge St. Patrick's Day parades in Cleveland and other parts of Ohio were cancelled.   

But two weeks before that, around February 25, Mardi Gras celebrations proceeded as usual in Louisiana. Given what we know about the progression of the disease (anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks from exposure to symptoms, and two weeks after symptoms begin to when many patients take a real turn for the worse) it stands to reason that the explosion of cases Louisiana is seeing now is related to Mardi Gras festivities a month ago. That suggests the closure of schools and other social distancing measures in LA came a couple weeks too late.

I live in Ohio, but I'm of Acadian descent and love Mardi Gras. It hurts my heart that the celebrations that are so great for community spirit and culture have such dangerous consequences right now, in terms of public health. 

 

I live in Ohio and have a close friend who lives in NOLA.  Not canceling Mardi Gras was a huge huge mistake.  

  • Like 5
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Acadie said:

 

Early on, the number of cases in Ohio and Louisiana was similar. In mid-March, the governors of both Ohio and Louisiana closed schools. Ohio's primary election was postponed, and the huge St. Patrick's Day parades in Cleveland and other parts of Ohio were cancelled.   

But two weeks before that, around February 25, Mardi Gras celebrations proceeded as usual in Louisiana. Given what we know about the progression of the disease (anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks from exposure to symptoms, and two weeks after symptoms begin to when many patients take a real turn for the worse) it stands to reason that the explosion of cases Louisiana is seeing now is related to Mardi Gras festivities a month ago. That suggests the closure of schools and other social distancing measures in LA came a couple weeks too late.

I live in Ohio, but I'm of Acadian descent and love Mardi Gras. It hurts my heart that the celebrations that are so great for community spirit and culture have such dangerous consequences right now, in terms of public health. 

But I think that is true epidemiologically speaking no matter what the celebration is:  whether it was the Chinese Lunar New Year or St. Patrick's Day or Mardi Gras.  (I know that you aren't arguing with me.)  It's just that people HAVE to start thinking of this in terms of a pandemic - not just as a word bandied about in order to unlock disaster funds - but as a scientific fact.  Because if you don't start really understanding the science of epidemics and don't start  reacting appropriately to that science then disaster after disaster is going to happen all over the world including all over the United States.  It's not like there are high glass walls separating each state and region and county.  (Something I didn't understand as a child.  I was so surprised as a child that there was no wall or fence where the colored lines were on the map!) 

  • Like 8
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JanOH said:

Well, I went out this morning and had a list for us, my in-laws and my ds who lives in his own apartment.  Limit of two on milk so I did my in-laws shopping list.  Checked out, went to my car.  Came back in and did the other two lists.  So I ended up with three gallons because my mil contributed one 🙂.  No one said a word and if they did I would have shown them my list which was clearly showing three households.  If you are in a pickle with the limits I would just make multiple trips in and out on the same trip.  No guilt because otherwise you're making multiple trips per week.

I’m not worried about guilt, I’m worried about being around people.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kassia said:

 

I live in Ohio and have a close friend who lives in NOLA.  Not canceling Mardi Gras was a huge huge mistake.  

 

Easter and Pascha need to be at home with own family only celebrations this year. Not church gatherings, not even outdoors sunrise services with groups attending.  Else we will have more spread from that. 

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

@mathnerd@SeaConquest@TCB@square_25
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/seiu-locates-39-million-n95-masks-for-healthcare-workers-local-governments/2262072/
“Service Employees International Union United Healthcare Workers West announced Thursday that it located 39 million N95 masks and will make them available to state and local governments and health care systems that are fighting the novel coronavirus outbreak. 

The union found a distributor with the masks, which are cleared for surgical use, after pleas from health care workers as new coronavirus cases surge across the state and the country as a whole.

Union officials said they also found a supplier that can produce some 20 million protective masks per week and another that can supply millions of protective face shields. 

"We are continuing to turn over every rock to see if we can find  more personal protective equipment to make sure that healthcare workers, who  are heroically putting their own health on the line to care for patients, can  do their jobs as safely as possible," SEIU-UHW President Dave Regan said.

The supplier has already sold some of the masks to the state of California, the Greater New York Hospital Association, Dignity Health, Kaiser Permanente, Stanford Health Care, Sutter Health and Los Angeles, Riverside and Santa Clara counties.

Union representatives have connected procurement officials from each recipient directly to the supplier to arrange each transaction.  Hospitals in Arizona have also been offered 2 million masks from the supplier but have yet to accept, according to Regan.”

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Kassia said:

 

I live in Ohio and have a close friend who lives in NOLA.  Not canceling Mardi Gras was a huge huge mistake.  

 Yes, hindsight is 20/20.  My son was finishing his last semester in New Orleans and went to Mardi Gras for the first time, since it was his last time.  I had no problem with it as it was in February and this was not on my radar.  Didn't even think about it being dangerous.  What a difference a few weeks makes.  He is home now.  Husband and I were talking about how glad we were that he wasn't still in New Orleans. 

Edited by Happymomof1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Global Times:

Vietnam, world's No.3 rice exporter, is holding back signing new rice export contracts. Experts said reducing rice imports from Vietnam could help reduce China's rice inventory, which is in surplus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pen said:

 

Easter and Pascha need to be at home with own family only celebrations this year. Not church gatherings, not even outdoors sunrise services with groups attending.  Else we will have more spread from that. 

 

 

Also, sorry to quote myself, but I think as much as the word on this can be gotten out to powers that be, proactively, the better,  whether that’s the Pope, or local Cardinals or an EO Archbishop, or an Anglican Archbishop, or the head of a Presbyterian Synod...

as well as Government officials...

Church leaders saying Stay Home and granting dispensations would probably be more persuasive with church goers than government doing it.

Both together would be even better.

It is coming up soon, not a lot of time to start making appeals.

Otherwise it will probably be a Chinese New Year / Mardi Gras etc situation all over again.  

 

It would help more to get out and raise collective voices proactively about what’s upcoming than to spend time on Mardi Gras that has already past and too late to change that.  But it isn’t too late to make a difference for Easter and Pascha. 

And calendars of such holidays should probably be being looked at for other such events/holidays/festivals. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In summary from BNO

US has overtaken China and Italy in confirmed cases

UK reports 2,129 new cases - 113 new deaths to 11,658 cases and 578 dead

Italy deaths at 8,215

Mayor in Italian city of Bergamo suggests higher death toll due to coronavirus: 446 residents died between March 1 and March 24, which is 348 above the average (98). Only 136 deaths were officially linked to coronavirus (May have been posted already?)

Recoveries from Italy over 10,000

worldwide > half a million

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, square_25 said:

 

It's very hard for me to believe that someone who isn't local and who's working for an administration that is extremely eager to reassure people is going to be more reliable than the governor of the state. I know NY has actually bought 7,000 ventilators on top of the 3,000 it has, so it's at least putting its money where its mouth is. 

There are currently 1,290 ICU patients in NY state <snip>

NY will also have 4k vents from the federal government's stockpile.

I don't think all Covid ICU patients are on ventilators(?).  In a JAMA article (that I can't find right now), I read that 71% have needed them.  Some are on oxygen, but not on ventilators.

I am amazed that you would distrust someone with Deborah Birx's credentials and service record.  I haven't noticed her or Dr. Fauci toeing an optimistic party line for anyone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Kassia said:

 

I live in Ohio and have a close friend who lives in NOLA.  Not canceling Mardi Gras was a huge huge mistake.  

 

After decades of watching people not evacuate for hurricanes, and party in spite of it, I can’t inagine Mardi Gras jbeing cancelled. [ETA to be clear, I don’t see govt being successful in simply announcing it cancelled]

Forty years ago, when the police went on strike, Fat Tuesday was “officially” cancelled, but Mardi Gras found a way. Some parades cancelled, others didn’t. People found other ways to celebrate. 

Even with a deadly virus looming, a large portion of the population has a mindset much like the spring breakers we saw on the beach. On the flip side of the coin, people work and invest all year long for what is essentially debutante season in the Big Easy. Anyone wanting to preemptively cancel festivities would have gotten pushback from every sector of the community, the rich as well as the street revelers. 

Keep in mind, carnival season runs from Twelfth Night through Mardi Gras day. Parade events occur in the last 20 days of that, but there are lots of carnival related events happening throughout the entire season. Many involve large gatherings. NOLA is also a convention site, a cruise ship port, culinary center, and a historic tourist destination. The city would have had to shut down way before the main event to experience any level of success from such preventive measures. 

Should Fat Tuesday celebrations have been cancelled? Probably, if the city would have also backed up through the previous Friday, all the busiest of parade days. Would it have been successful? Personally, I believe it would have been only partially successful. 

New Orleans is just a different kind of place, with centuries old attitudes and a renewed sense of invincibility from the Katrina comeback. The population lives and breathes resiliency, but in truth it is not a physically fit constituency. It’s political, locally, but not politically savvy outside of the state (as is NY). I do believe that LA will find itself competing for the same equipment needs as NY, but will not receive it in equal measure. 

JMO

Edited by Seasider too
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, square_25 said:

 

I think there's pressure on them to be as positive as possible. Cuomo said that the way they are currently using the language, any bed he calls an ICU bed is a bed with a vent. I don't think that's usually true. 

I don't trust people in general, lol -- I need to be able to check their information. I just ran the numbers myself, didn't I? What's wrong with my calculations, if they are wrong? 

Yes, NY is up to something like 14,000 ventilators and they are also talking about converting anesthesia machines to ventilators and splitting ventilators. And I'm really really hoping you're right and that's actually plenty to meet the need, but I can't stress this enough: I commend Governor Cuomo for working with the pessimistic estimates (and actually, I'm not sure they are pessimistic -- he said 40,000 was the pessimistic estimate he's seen.) Doing anything else has a good chance of leading to serious loss of life. 

Well, it won't be me being right (or wrong), it will be the doctors advising the nation.  I hope they are right, too.

The two week lag is hard -- waiting for improvement resulting from current mitigation efforts.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Pen said:

 

Also, sorry to quote myself, but I think as much as the word on this can be gotten out to powers that be, proactively, the better,  whether that’s the Pope, or local Cardinals or an EO Archbishop, or an Anglican Archbishop, or the head of a Presbyterian Synod...

 

The Pope will celebrate Holy Week liturgies without public participation due to the Covid19 epidemic:

https://www.ncronline.org/news/quick-reads/vatican-says-public-will-not-be-admitted-papal-holy-week-liturgies

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

In Aus, TAL insurance has moved to modify some life insurance policies to exclude paying out for coronavirus specifically those held by higher risk patients and doctors

 

Can you just change the policy like that? That doesn't seem fair. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Re. New Orleans specifically, and Louisiana in general. I was just reading about the explosion of cases starting there.  This is after they went ahead and had Mardi Gras.  They have never had a good history of dealing with crises there and I think that this will be even worse because they are competing with other states for supplies etc. 

yes, and they are a much poorer state than CA, WA or NY.   I think it will be worse there.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has these been posted yet on here?

Epidemiologist Responsible for the Imperial College Model Downgrades Projections

"A higher rate of transmission than expected means that more people have the virus than previously expected; when the number of those with coronavirus is divided by the number of deaths, therefore, the mortality rate for the disease drops.

Based on both those revised estimates and the lockdown measures taken by the British government, the epidemiologist predicts, hospitals will be just fine taking on COVID-19 patients and estimates 20,000 or far fewer people will die from the virus itself or from its agitation of other ailments,"

I also saw this early this morning:

Nobel-Laureat Predicts Quicker Recovery;

"While many epidemiologists are warning of months, or even years, of massive social disruption and millions of deaths, Levitt says the data simply don't support such a dire scenario — especially in areas where reasonable social distancing measures are in place."

The one problem I see with Levitt's (A Biophysicist) calculations is that he seems to be relying on Chinese info.  I don't trust China to be giving the public the truth. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Has these been posted yet on here?

Epidemiologist Responsible for the Imperial College Model Downgrades Projections

"A higher rate of transmission than expected means that more people have the virus than previously expected; when the number of those with coronavirus is divided by the number of deaths, therefore, the mortality rate for the disease drops.

Based on both those revised estimates and the lockdown measures taken by the British government, the epidemiologist predicts, hospitals will be just fine taking on COVID-19 patients and estimates 20,000 or far fewer people will die from the virus itself or from its agitation of other ailments,"

I also saw this early this morning:

Nobel-Laureat Predicts Quicker Recovery;

"While many epidemiologists are warning of months, or even years, of massive social disruption and millions of deaths, Levitt says the data simply don't support such a dire scenario — especially in areas where reasonable social distancing measures are in place."

The one problem I see with Levitt's (A Biophysicist) calculations is that he seems to be relying on Chinese info.  I don't trust China to be giving the public the truth. 

 

One very obvious problem:  the death rate from the virus is already over 23,000 and rising. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@mathnerd

SF Bay Area https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/about-a-4th-at-hayward-center-test-positive-for-covid-19/2262127/

“About one-fourth of the 207 people who were tested on the first day of operation for the city of Hayward's new COVID-19 Testing Center on Monday had positive results for the novel coronavirus, city officials said Thursday.

The samples taken at the testing center at Hayward Fire Station No. 7 and analyzed at Avellino Labs in Menlo Park are retested and the results are immediately reported to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, according to the city.

Confirmed positive results also are shared immediately by Hayward Fire Department medical clinicians with the person found to have the infection and are reported by Hayward to public health officials in that person's county of residence.

Hayward officials said differing protocols in each county may mean that results from the Hayward testing center will be added to each county's aggregate confirmed case total in different ways and at different intervals.

The city said it plans to publicly report positive results about 48 hours after each day's testing, and is disclosing the information to help residents understand the prevalence of the coronavirus infection and reiterate the importance of complying with shelter-in-place orders and other social distancing hygiene precautions.

Of the 207 people who were tested on Monday, 54 were confirmed to have the coronavirus. An additional 460 people were tested on Tuesday but their results haven't yet been released, although Hayward and Avellino officials say it only takes six to nine hours to get test results.

... City officials said that on Thursday and possibly again on Friday, the number of tests at the center will be reduced and the center will close early to allow Hayward firefighter-paramedics testing teams to conduct testing of vulnerable populations elsewhere in the community.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

One very obvious problem:  the death rate from the virus is already over 23,000 and rising. 

Isn't he just talking about the UK?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sneezyone

“Coronavirus Outbreak Diverts Aircraft Carrier to Guam; All 5,000 Aboard to Be Tested

 Updated 3 hours ago

  The Navy says an outbreak of coronavirus aboard an aircraft carrier in the Pacific has forced it to divert to Guam, where all 5,000 aboard will undergo testing.

The USS Theodore Roosevelt remains "operationally capable," according to the acting secretary of the Navy, Thomas Modly.

The carrier is the first U.S. Navy ship to have reported an outbreak while at sea.” https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-outbreak-diverts-aircraft-carrier-to-guam-all-5000-aboard-to-be-tested/2262189/

  • Like 1
  • Sad 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

 I would be interested in an antibody test. I feel confident that the virus was in our area starting in January. Several friends and acquaintances quite ill with something that was not flu. When my daughter was in the pediatric clinic in Feb (she had flu B), the pediatrician told me that he had seen many kids with high fevers caused by an unspecified virus. Who knows, but I am not so sure the cases being revealed in our area now are the first. It would certainly help to inform policy if we knew some herd immunity was well underway.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

The Pope will celebrate Holy Week liturgies without public participation due to the Covid19 epidemic:

https://www.ncronline.org/news/quick-reads/vatican-says-public-will-not-be-admitted-papal-holy-week-liturgies

 

I haven’t clicked link. 

Does this give dispensation and indeed papal guidance  to Catholics  everywhere  throughout world to stay home rather than attend church on a holy day of obligation? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@Sneezyone

“Coronavirus Outbreak Diverts Aircraft Carrier to Guam; All 5,000 Aboard to Be Tested

 Updated 3 hours ago

  The Navy says an outbreak of coronavirus aboard an aircraft carrier in the Pacific has forced it to divert to Guam, where all 5,000 aboard will undergo testing.

The USS Theodore Roosevelt remains "operationally capable," according to the acting secretary of the Navy, Thomas Modly.

The carrier is the first U.S. Navy ship to have reported an outbreak while at sea.” https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-outbreak-diverts-aircraft-carrier-to-guam-all-5000-aboard-to-be-tested/2262189/

 

Yeah, I already know. The news broke yesterday. Whoever the CO was that allowed that port call was a freaking idiot.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

One very obvious problem:  the death rate from the virus is already over 23,000 and rising. 

I wonder if he meant 20,000 in the UK?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, saraha said:

Ohio's nonessential business shut down is a joke. The only thing it changed in our community is that the only clothing store in our county closed. My dh and those of all my neighbor's are still working, as the businesses are allowed to self determine their essentialness. Yesterday in his address the governor responded to questions about employees who feel like their place of business should not be open with the statement to take it up with your employer. I have been with him up to this point and think that on all of his other actions he has been a front runner in this, till we got to here.

He said to TRY to bring it up with the employer first. He reiterated that you can report your employer to the health department. I think, but am not positive, that he said if you are concerned you'll lose your job by bringing it up with your employer, you should report to the health department (or possibly, it was part of a question).

The health department is super busy, so I don't think it's out of line to hope that people with talk to their employers first. 

I am really annoyed that reports are still coming in about employers not following the rules. We need this shut down. 

People are still having playdates though. 

There are a lot of people I'm not going to like when this is over. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pen said:

 

I haven’t clicked link. 

Does this give dispensation and indeed papal guidance  to Catholics  everywhere  throughout world to stay home rather than attend church on a holy day of obligation? 

No, each bishop will issue a dispensation. Here's a link to the latest list of US dioceses and their current status:

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/do-we-have-mass-coronavirus-closures-and-dispensations-in-us-dioceses-96801

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TCB said:

We should be looking at what Germany is doing. Their death rate and serious cases rate is so low!

They're testing everyone, I believe. Most places only test the sick. I believe the most accurate numbers will be from Germany and South Korea in the end.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoodGrief1 said:

 I would be interested in an antibody test. I feel confident that the virus was in our area starting in January. Several friends and acquaintances quite ill with something that was not flu. When my daughter was in the pediatric clinic in Feb (she had flu B), the pediatrician told me that he had seen many kids with high fevers caused by an unspecified virus. Who knows, but I am not so sure the cases being revealed in our area now are the first. It would certainly help to inform policy if we knew some herd immunity was well underway.

I agree..  I want an antibody test.  But as to the people sick with something not the flu.  Were there also a lot of people on ventilators at that time?  That seems to be a consistent issue with the worst cases of Covid-19.   I suspect it wasn't Covid-19  Otherwise, we would have already had a lot of people on ventilators in Feb.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/coronavirus/article241486361.html

 

Quote

 

Idaho lab goes ‘maverick’ to offer antibody tests, especially for health care workers

The antibody test can determine whether someone’s blood contains antibodies to the novel coronavirus. It is accurate about 90% of the time.

Cole said antibody testing also could help to screen large numbers of people quickly and inexpensively. It could flag some people who likely were infected but don’t have the symptoms to qualify for the gold standard test, he said.

 

Even though the test is not FDA-approved to diagnose COVID-19, health care providers are “scrambling” for ways to quickly spot potential infections, Cole said.

The antibody test takes about 20 minutes to run, from when the blood sample gets to the lab to when the results are ready. Cole immediately calls anyone who has a positive result, so they can self-isolate and try to get the FDA-approved diagnostic test, he said.

 

 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I agree..  I want an antibody test.  But as to the people sick with something not the flu.  Were there also a lot of people on ventilators at that time?  That seems to be a consistent issue with the worst cases of Covid-19.   I suspect it wasn't Covid-19  Otherwise, we would have already had a lot of people on ventilators in Feb.

Except, not everywhere sees heavy ventilator use. We now have over 50 confirmed cases (many more who have it since we don't have a ton of testing) and only one person has needed to be in the ICU. That's why that argument, at least for my area, doesn't hold water.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

“A Texas nurse with 17 years of experience in emergency rooms wrote: 'Never seen anything like this. Protocols change minute to minute if there are any at all. I can no longer trust the CDC. For the first time in my career I am scared to go to work.'”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/business/media/coronavirus-nurses-stories-anonymous.html?fbclid=IwAR0QNWvl4KrJY5VT8nRgj7m7ZnshEvwvkLvy4bPKnJPbXVMy7UiBTi5rrvE

Nurses Share Coronavirus Stories Anonymously in an Online Document

A health care worker in New Jersey created a digital venue for people in the field to chronicle poor working conditions that may put patients at risk. “It is disgusting,” one nurse wrote.

Related: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/nyc-nurse-who-treated-covid-19-patient-dies-another-hospital-reports-13-deaths-in-one-day/2344831/?fbclid=IwAR0jmanohLeG-pmE3W8_Z33aldIS5YxN3VmP1-w5Q93dIa8klD2pgty2EME

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Sad 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Well, they are certainly not testing EVERYONE. Are they randomizing? 

Oh, maybe. That should still be closer to the truth.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

@Sneezyone

“Coronavirus Outbreak Diverts Aircraft Carrier to Guam; All 5,000 Aboard to Be Tested

 Updated 3 hours ago

  The Navy says an outbreak of coronavirus aboard an aircraft carrier in the Pacific has forced it to divert to Guam, where all 5,000 aboard will undergo testing.

The USS Theodore Roosevelt remains "operationally capable," according to the acting secretary of the Navy, Thomas Modly.

The carrier is the first U.S. Navy ship to have reported an outbreak while at sea.” https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-outbreak-diverts-aircraft-carrier-to-guam-all-5000-aboard-to-be-tested/2262189/

I guess this is what this tweet from global times was about

Confirmed #COVID19 cases on US aircraft carrier #TheodoreRoosevelt, which was on a mission to flex its muscles against China, will deal a heavy blow to the US’ military capability and global deployment: experts https://bit.ly/39kIHkV

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...