Menu

GetFileAttachment?id=AAMkADdjZDk1Zjc1LTc1ZjgtNDY3My1hMTA0LTg4YTIxNGQ1NWU2YwBGAAAAAADwipe0UP4BQp%2Fba3R1kD3pBwDpQYvjTCkMRLvM3bjMdLhpAAAAAAEMAAAkqMV8pQN9QZhyigpC2ff5AAFnlfcrAAABEgAQAD%2Fh0k39%2FABAiaGlJy9GiYc%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=v86r-kObNk6Tnhf_cZYdZwDcVJ0L0dcIATgsFcqN1DL_-D4ziKanSRJFqTOAxkIY3xFJdyn3FfU.&isImagePreview=True  The stories that I am hearing of people going to multiple grocery stores, Walmarts, Costcos, pet stores, etc. and finding grocery shelves empty is alarming.  It sounds like many people are out and about going to multiple essential businesses.  For almost two weeks now, we have been on lockdown, with the pharmacy, the grocery store, and gas station in the town the only places open.  No restaurant takeout or deliver.  Even the small café area in the grocery store is closed.  But, there are not really any shortages--In fact supplies are stacked in the aisles.  This is 30 minutes from Italy--along the major supply chain route connecting northern Europe and Italy.  There are spotty things, like now bananas late Saturday afternoon, but that can happen late on the weekend anyway.  There aren't long lines in the stores either. 

tp.png

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• prairiewindmomma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DS got home 3 hours ago!  ❤️❤️

That's not a blanket right.  If my religion required human sacrifice, I can't practice it.  If my religion required sexual assault, I can't practice it. Freedom of religion isn't a blanket right

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I’m sorry to hear that! It might also go faster closer to NYC. One of our babysitters got tested, so I could try to figure out how long it took her...

That's true.  He just heard that the test was negative. Yay! So now I need to drive and get him.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

http://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_pagineAree_5351_32_file.pdf

this is the sources for the Italian stats.  I think it’s from yesterday.  But it does show a huge number of isolated at homecases. (  I think that’s what isolamento domiciliare means?).  So they definitely aren’t only testing hospitalised cases.  

they aren’t counting asymptomatic cases though.  China aren’t either but South Korea are.  I’ve also read though I can’t find the source that the test South Korea uses has a higher false positive rate.

But how are they tracking those cases that are isolated at home? I assume they went to the hospital with symptoms, but were sent home to self isolate. Maybe I assume wrong? Are they testing everyone with symptoms in Italy?

Just now, square_25 said:

Looking at the Johns Hopkins data, the South Korean CFR is now about 1.4% :-(. Germany is up to 0.56%. It's really not encouraging.  

No the rates for everyone are increasing and are almost certain to increase at the end when people are still dying and their are no new infections.  Assuming we actually get to that point.  Ugh.  
now I need to find something happy to think about. 

7 hours ago, MissLemon said:

So, I had an interesting conversation with my sister about COVID-19 tests.  She is an assistant dean at a medical school, and works closely with the hospitals in her state.  She previously did research on HIV.  There is currently a 6-7 day turn-around time for tests because there are not enough facilities that are capable of running the test.  The tests are run with live virus samples and the process of running them is similar to HIV testing. There are only so many labs available that have that level of certification to run samples and only so many lab techs with the right qualifications to do it.  It's not like running a strep test or an influenza test; there are a lot of safety standards that must be followed for highly contagious pathogens. Illinois sent out the call on Monday to all the medical schools and labs for anyone with the correct certifications that can help run tests to clear out the backlog. My sister has the certification, but she is in isolation because she was potentially exposed to COVID-19 through a co-worker.  So, my sister is going to be reading results and interpreting data at home while she completes her isolation. 

Right after I got off the phone with her, my cousin messaged all of us to say he was being deployed on that ship heading to NYC. 

*deep breath*

I can confirm that’s how long it’s been taking in NV. Dh’s hospital had 6x as many patients in isolation awaiting test results as confirmed positives. 

7 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Maybe they'll soon expand FDA approval to other labs.  My sister said something about some of the labs in Illinois being willing to run tests, but lacking approval due to certification, (I admit that a lot of what she was explaining went waaaay over my head).  So maybe the FDA will expand approval to other labs to ramp up testing there. Until then, testing is slow going in Illinois. 

Our governor just signed an agreement with the FDA so NV can develop their own tests. WA and Maryland are the only two other states that can do it.  

The federal government is allowing Nevada to develop and evaluate its own tests for the new coronavirus, providing the flexibility to develop tests faster and increase the number of available kits, state officials announced Tuesday.

Nevada is one of three states, with Maryland and Washington, given the ability to develop their own tests under the policy change allowed by the Food and Drug Administration.

“This change in Nevada’s status will allow the state of Nevada, not the FDA, to determine whether products associated with testing are safe and effective for testing,” Dr. Mark Pandori, director of the Nevada State Public Health Laboratory, said in a news release. “This means that when labs in Nevada do validation studies on products to determine whether they are effective prior to launching testing, they can submit their findings to the state, not the FDA, for approval. This is a much faster process. By the end of next week, we should have data on novel products for testing that should increase testing capacity considerably.”

The state is still not recommending tests for people with mild symptoms or without illness.

Gov. Steve Sisolak said the change will help Nevada residents. 

“I am proud that Nevada has taken this step and I commend our labs for their ongoing work to bring peace of mind to Nevadans through testing for COVID-19,” he said in the release.

As of Monday evening, 4,232 people have been tested in Nevada with 278 testing positive for the virus. Four people have died from the disease in Nevada.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/nevada/feds-give-nevada-ability-to-speed-approval-of-covid-19-testing-1989814/

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Corraleno said:

NY state is already at 19 deaths per million, and with deaths doubling every 2-3 days they may exceed 40 per million this weekend. If they were a separate country, by next week they would rank 3rd in the world (behind Italy and Spain) for number of deaths per million. Anyone who thinks Cuomo is overreacting doesn't understand the numbers he's dealing with.

If the current trajectory for the US continues, we will have the highest number of cases in the world by this weekend, and by the middle of next week we are likely to have more deaths than any country except Italy.

Yeah, I don't think Gov Cuomo is overrreacting at all in his push to expand hospital beds, source more PPE, and plead, cajole, and "threaten" New Yorkers to get them to take this thing seriously and stay home.  The stay-at-home order does appear to be helping. 

I do think he needs to stop repeating that he needs 30k ventilators today or tomorrow.  It's not accurate and is panic inducing.  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, square_25 said:

He didn't say he needs them today or tomorrow. He says he is going to need them at the peak of the NY outbreak, which is projected to be in 2-3 weeks. As it takes some time to get things transported (and takes a long time to get things made!), he does not seem to be reacting in a disproportionate way. 

Of course, the projections could be off, but only a fool would ignore projections like this. He's being careful. I am deeply grateful to him for taking care of my city and state. 

I think Gov Cuomo is doing a good job under very trying circumstances. 

At yesterday's WH briefing, Dr. Birx (with our beloved Dr. Fauci standing right behind her) said 30k respirators would necessary if there is no mitigation (which there is) AND if/when NY experiences a second and third wave, again without mitigation.  She pointed out that such statements cause people to panic. 

You are correct that he hasn't used the word "today".  That was my takeaway, but that is not exactly what he has been saying.  He HAS repeatedly said he needs 30k ventilators.  He won't even need that many at the peak in 2-3 weeks.

8 hours ago, StellaM said:

Wow. That's frightening.

It's one thing having to triage cases; it's another thing having pressure put on families to sign DNR's.

I am extremely worried about the devaluing of (some - elderly, chronically ill, poor, black, disabled) lives that has been going on from almost the first minute of this outbreak, and how it will carry over into societal attitudes once the outbreak is over. People are very ready to write off other people's lives. 

The  issue of risk to hospital workers is important, desperately so, but man, making families responsible for mitigating that risk through 'discussion' when a loved one is ill? Not OK. 

If it is deemed too risky to health workers to resucitate patients, that's a decision that must be made at the hospital level, and not a decision that is shoved onto families. That  pressure will not be equally applied to all families 😞 

We are really setting ourselves up atm for a resurgence in eugenics post-virus.

DNR is something many people choose for themselves, but probably most people have not documented their decision.  It's not an easy thing to think about.  DNR decision by family is not an unusual one in any time.

I could honestly see it being appropriate if the patient's quality of life has no hope of really being returned, as is the case for many of the highest risk people presently.  I remember my grandmother telling me how much she wanted to die.  Not long afterwards, she did die, and I heard that high pain killer dosage was probably part of that - requested by her and approved by her son.

Even with severely ill kids, people make the DNR decision depending on the potential quality of life.  I don't think it is a symptom of lack of human caring at all.

• Like 3

I heard about another long-term care home / nursing home were many tested positive and it was presumed the others are all positive.

In cases where this spreads within care facilities, are they then using the care facility to "hospitalize" Coronavirus patients who don't need ICU?   It would seem like a logical decision.

14 minutes ago, SKL said:

DNR is something many people choose for themselves, but probably most people have not documented their decision.  It's not an easy thing to think about.  DNR decision by family is not an unusual one in any time.

I could honestly see it being appropriate if the patient's quality of life has no hope of really being returned, as is the case for many of the highest risk people presently.  I remember my grandmother telling me how much she wanted to die.  Not long afterwards, she did die, and I heard that high pain killer dosage was probably part of that - requested by her and approved by her son.

Even with severely ill kids, people make the DNR decision depending on the potential quality of life.  I don't think it is a symptom of lack of human caring at all.

Not to mention, a quick google search says that only 10-20% of people for whom resuscitation is attempted live long enough to be discharged from the hospital. 

If it really is a significant risk to health care providers, it sounds like a very necessary conversation... 🙁

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, square_25 said:

I’m sorry to hear that! It might also go faster closer to NYC. One of our babysitters got tested, so I could try to figure out how long it took her...

Ds’s girlfriend and Mother were tested, one has been ill and both work at a VA nursing home on Long Island. It was s 4 day wait for results. Negative. But I think one patient at the home has just tested positive.

New Jersey https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/all-residents-of-virus-stricken-nj-nursing-home-now-assumed-to-be-infected/2261698/

“All of the residents of a coronavirus-stricken nursing home in Woodbridge are now presumed to have the virus, and they are being moved to another location for treatment, local government sources told News 4 on Wednesday.

New Jersey health officials said Tuesday that many of the residents of the St. Joseph's Senior Home had taken ill, and many of the staff were out sick as well. That meant there were just 3 nuns left to take care of nearly 100 people.

Of the 94 total residents, 24 are now positive for COVID-19 and the other 70 are "presumptive positive," government sources said Wednesday. They are now being moved from the Woodbridge facility to a CareOne home in Whippany, roughly 30 miles to the north.”

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

I heard about another long-term care home / nursing home were many tested positive and it was presumed the others are all positive.

In cases where this spreads within care facilities, are they then using the care facility to "hospitalize" Coronavirus patients who don't need ICU?   It would seem like a logical decision.

We actually received word two days ago that the facility my mother is in -- a very lovely, highly-reputable facility -- has three residents now with coronavirus.  This was shocking news.  Apparently the three residents were all in the same wing.  They are being cared for in their own rooms there (each one in their own room), with a care team that only works with them, and no other residents.  All public spaces have been closed.  All residents are being kept in their rooms ~ meals are served to them in their rooms, etc.  We don't know the actual condition of the residents who have CV.   I don't know if they'd be transferred to a hospital at some point??  But for now, they're still in their rooms.

It sounds like the staff is doing everything they can do to follow health guidelines and keep everyone safe -- lots and lots of sterilizing everything, constantly.  Of course we know that in a matter of days, this could all snowball into a disaster.  Because if it had already spread to three people before they caught it, then who knows..   (And yes, we're very worried about my mother.)

• Sad 17
6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

New Jersey https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/all-residents-of-virus-stricken-nj-nursing-home-now-assumed-to-be-infected/2261698/

“All of the residents of a coronavirus-stricken nursing home in Woodbridge are now presumed to have the virus, and they are being moved to another location for treatment, local government sources told News 4 on Wednesday.

New Jersey health officials said Tuesday that many of the residents of the St. Joseph's Senior Home had taken ill, and many of the staff were out sick as well. That meant there were just 3 nuns left to take care of nearly 100 people.

Of the 94 total residents, 24 are now positive for COVID-19 and the other 70 are "presumptive positive," government sources said Wednesday. They are now being moved from the Woodbridge facility to a CareOne home in Whippany, roughly 30 miles to the north.”

I hope they can clean and re-purpose the facility for the crisis some way or other.

• Like 1

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/bay-area-lab-plans-to-distribute-millions-of-coronavirus-tests-after-creating-their-own/2261717/

“FDA Authorizes Bay Area Lab to Begin Testing for Coronavirus

After receiving emergency authorization from the FDA, Avellino Labs received its first batch of tests to process Monday morning.  The NBC Bay Area Investigate Unit was the only media outlet at the headquarters when those initial 33 samples arrived for processing.

Avellino’s new coronavirus test can be processed within four to seven hours, which would allow patients to be notified of their results within one day.

Lab Focused on Eye Diseases Pivots to Coronavirus

COVID-19 tests are a new direction for the lab, which, up until this week, only focused on making tests to diagnose eye diseases.

“We suspended testing of those,” said John Hong, who heads the legal department and human resources at Avellino Labs.  “We've pivoted completely to testing for coronavirus,” explaining that because both tests require genetic testing, the technology is similar.

The company began developing the COVID-19 test in January after employees at their Shanghai laboratory complained about a lack of tests in China. Soon after, Avellino Labs created their own test in California, which they then shipped abroad to their coworkers.

“We were thinking of that just being a resource internally,” Hong said. “Then, we quickly realized, almost immediately, that this is something that may be able to benefit everyone.”

Firefighters Trade Hoses for Nose Swabs

As the coronavirus began to spread across California, Hayward Fire Chief Garrett Contreras began searching for test supplies that his firefighters and paramedics could utilize to care for communities in the Bay Area.  It wasn’t long before the Chief connected with executives at Avellino Labs.

“One of our vendors...had called me and said that Chief Contreras was looking for the test,” said Scott Korney Chief Operating Officer at Avellino. “[Contreras] was thrilled that we had availability of testing.”

The partnership allowed Hayward to open its first drive-up and walk-up testing site Monday at Hayward Fire Station #7, 28270 Huntwood Avenue.

“Suppression, through isolation after testing, or SIT, as we call it, is an approach that has proven to be most effective in countries on the leading edge of this pandemic,” said Chief Garrett Contreras. 

His firefighters – armed with swabs, thermometers, and testing kits – are now on the front line of the pandemic.  In opening the testing site, the department declared that “sick people, first responders, and health-care workers with recent exposures to the novel coronavirus can be tested for infection.””

• Like 3
1 minute ago, square_25 said:

I don't think that's been posted, but Dr. Osterholm said the same in an interview. He said it is changing but only "cosmetically". Glad to see this!

• Like 2

Today my power went out. Fortunately, it wasn't out for more than an hour, but we used my cell phone to start researching ways to kill zombies. I feel like we're living in an episode of The Walking Dead.  Everything is just so bizarre lately.

• Like 2

@happypamama@Sharon77@school17777@mom@shiloh@Carrie12345

“HANOVER TWP., Pennsylvania -- A grocery store in Hanover Township, Pennsylvania said in a Facebook post Wednesday that a woman purposely coughed on thousands of dollars' worth of food.

The store said she coughed on fresh produce as well as a small portion of its bakery, meat case and grocery section.

Gerrity's Supermarkets said the "twisted prank" will result in over $35,000 worth of food being thrown out.

"While it is always a shame when food is wasted, in these times when so many people are worried about the security of our food supply, it is even more disturbing," the store's co-owner Joe Fasula said in the post.

The store contacted police and the case has now been escalated to the District Attorney's Office as the state cracks down on the spreading of coronavirus.

Officials plan to determine if the woman has been tested positive for the virus.

The U.S. Department of Justice announced Tuesday that individuals who intentionally spread the virus could be charged with terrorism for the "purposeful exposure and infection of others."”

• Like 3
  • Sad 11
Just now, Arcadia said:

“HANOVER TWP., Pennsylvania -- A grocery store in Hanover Township, Pennsylvania said in a Facebook post Wednesday that a woman purposely coughed on thousands of dollars' worth of food.

The store said she coughed on fresh produce as well as a small portion of its bakery, meat case and grocery section.

Gerrity's Supermarkets said the "twisted prank" will result in over $35,000 worth of food being thrown out.

"While it is always a shame when food is wasted, in these times when so many people are worried about the security of our food supply, it is even more disturbing," the store's co-owner Joe Fasula said in the post.

The store contacted police and the case has now been escalated to the District Attorney's Office as the state cracks down on the spreading of coronavirus.

Officials plan to determine if the woman has been tested positive for the virus.

The U.S. Department of Justice announced Tuesday that individuals who intentionally spread the virus could be charged with terrorism for the "purposeful exposure and infection of others."”

Sick.  Whether she has the virus or not, sick.  If she does hast the virus she should be charged for sure.   But even not she should have to pay for that food.   Horrible. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, square_25 said:

That’s what the projections he’s working with are saying. I certainly hope they are pessimistic. In a few weeks, we’ll see if he was wrong. We already have about 1,000 ICU beds taken up, so I’m guessing not. But I sure hope he’s wrong.

I hope he's wrong, too, and that the mitigation strategies work.  They seem to be helping.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@soror

“A man suspected of plotting to blow up a Missouri hospital and was killed in a shootout with FBI agents was apparently frustrated with local government action to stop the spread of coronavirus, the FBI said Wednesday.
http://nbcbay.com/caaLN5i ”

What is wrong with people 😞

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

@soror

“A man suspected of plotting to blow up a Missouri hospital and was killed in a shootout with FBI agents was apparently frustrated with local government action to stop the spread of coronavirus, the FBI said Wednesday.
http://nbcbay.com/caaLN5i ”

Because blowing up a hospital is a great way to help right now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

My brother works with a company that makes toilet paper, diapers, wipes, etc., and they are still producing and shipping. He says they have never been busier and are working as much as possible. If people would chill on the hoarding, we'd have plenty of TP.

At our stores, people report seeing TP restocked every day at most stores but it's gone so quickly.

We are in an area with community spread that so far hasn't exploded but is near other areas that are more badly hit. We have plenty of food in stores but people may need to learn to shop, cook, and eat differently for a little while. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DoraBora said:

I think Gov Cuomo is doing a good job under very trying circumstances. 

At yesterday's WH briefing, Dr. Birx (with our beloved Dr. Fauci standing right behind her) said 30k respirators would necessary if there is no mitigation (which there is) AND if/when NY experiences a second and third wave, again without mitigation.  She pointed out that such statements cause people to panic. 

You are correct that he hasn't used the word "today".  That was my takeaway, but that is not exactly what he has been saying.  He HAS repeatedly said he needs 30k ventilators.  He won't even need that many at the peak in 2-3 weeks.

I think this is the second or third time I’ve seen you( not sure, maybe someone else) write that NYC won’t need that even at the peak, that Coumo’s overreacting, etc.

I can not find any data to prove or disprove that. Where are you getting this, just from the comments at the briefing? Did they give any data to support that? Because I feel like Cuomo is a highly intelligent guy who’s listening to a myriad of intelligent health professionals and would perhaps be in a better place to understand what’s going on in NYC.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Paige said:

My brother works with a company that makes toilet paper, diapers, wipes, etc., and they are still producing and shipping. He says they have never been busier and are working as much as possible. If people would chill on the hoarding, we'd have plenty of TP.

At our stores, people report seeing TP restocked every day at most stores but it's gone so quickly.

We are in an area with community spread that so far hasn't exploded but is near other areas that are more badly hit. We have plenty of food in stores but people may need to learn to shop, cook, and eat differently for a little while. 

dd asked when she was at Costco (she didn't need any, just curious).  At Costco - that day, it was gone in 30 minutes.   I went with dh earlier this week (didn't need any, didn't really look) - but there was one woman with three Costco cases in her cart.  (each case has 40 rolls.)

Just now, gardenmom5 said:

dd asked when she was at Costco (she didn't need any, just curious).  At Costco - that day, it was gone in 30 minutes.   I went with dh earlier this week (didn't need any, didn't really look) - but there was one woman with three Costco cases in her cart.  (each case has 40 rolls.)

I can't believe they are not limiting supplies there.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, StellaM said:

Jeez, 18 bottles of flipping wine?! Yeah, that ought to be enough.

Hey, speak for yourself, Stella. 😉

• Haha 13

Ohio's nonessential business shut down is a joke. The only thing it changed in our community is that the only clothing store in our county closed. My dh and those of all my neighbor's are still working, as the businesses are allowed to self determine their essentialness. Yesterday in his address the governor responded to questions about employees who feel like their place of business should not be open with the statement to take it up with your employer. I have been with him up to this point and think that on all of his other actions he has been a front runner in this, till we got to here.

• Sad 3
14 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Amazon warehouse employees in a few locations have tested positive for Covid 19.

Costco too. Multiple warehouses. 😞

• Sad 4
20 hours ago, amyx4 said:

I don't want to encourage a run on the grocery store but I would like to share something.  I live in a state that has restrictions in place and I have more than 2.5 kids 😉

Locally, I keep being told the grocery stores are good and trucks are getting through so don't panic. However, there are a few items that no matter which store or what time of day, I have been unable to get some items. There are some items that have not been restocked since this started. (I don't have brand loyalty)

No bags of rice. No frozen veggies, not even onions. No frozen fruit. No flour, sugar, yeast. Only tiny packages of expensive name-brand organic poultry. Only store brand white bread. There are store limits on eggs and milk.

I didn't check on meat cause we get a cow. I didn't check on t.p. cause we've always ordered by case.

I have had trips where I couldn't find rice or frozen veggies. (I got frozen fajita mix because it was the only frozen veggie available. Luckily my husband was able to make something delicious with it) But my last trip I got brown rice and lentils. (And a single giant bag of frozen corn)

I haven't found chicken. But both times we went we found something pork. This latest time was a giant picnic roast. we cut it up into individual meal size portions and are freezing it that way.

No yeast but a friend gave me sourdough starter so I'm working on making my own bread.

We don't use eggs much but there was eggs available when I went and my husband got milk for us last night. We don't need tp (Got lucky and got enough before all this started that we haven't needed it) and I've gone to using more rags/towels to avoid using paper towels as often.

I like HEB better. But I find I have been more successful at Wal-mart so that is where i have gone the last two times.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Amazon warehouse employees in a few locations have tested positive for Covid 19.

It was expected, hence people stockpile. People kind of expect USPS, DHL, FedEx, UPS to have employees infected.

VTA light rail system was stopped today because a trainee driver is infected.

https://www.vta.org/blog/vta-operator-trainee-tests-positive-covid-19-light-rail-service-suspended

“Late Wednesday evening, on March 25, VTA leadership was notified that a light rail operator trainee tested positive for COVID-19. While we learn the extent of impact and exposure, we must take swift action to protect the health and safety of our employees and the public.

For these reasons, and out of an overabundance of caution, the following actions were taken immediately:

• Light rail service was shut down as of 11:30 p.m. on March 25. Six trains were in operation at the time and sweeps were made to make sure customers were not left stranded on the platforms.
  • Effective March 26, light rail service has been suspended until further notice and operators are being told to shelter in place until they receive further instructions to quarantine and/or be tested.
  • All light rail vehicles will remain in the operating division and undergo thorough cleaning, as well as the entire operating division itself.

A number of light rail vehicles were sanitized thoroughly and set aside for this potential scenario. However, in light of this situation and the fact that light rail ridership has decreased by 82% since the County’s shelter-in-place order, we will now focus our operational resources on bus service which is more nimble and can adapt to the various needs of our community.”

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, freesia said:

That's true.  He just heard that the test was negative. Yay! So now I need to drive and get him.

I have heard of false negatives being a thing so it might be good to take precautions for the length of time they say. Some times that is to do with testing technique I think.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, J-rap said:

We actually received word two days ago that the facility my mother is in -- a very lovely, highly-reputable facility -- has three residents now with coronavirus.  This was shocking news.  Apparently the three residents were all in the same wing.  They are being cared for in their own rooms there (each one in their own room), with a care team that only works with them, and no other residents.  All public spaces have been closed.  All residents are being kept in their rooms ~ meals are served to them in their rooms, etc.  We don't know the actual condition of the residents who have CV.   I don't know if they'd be transferred to a hospital at some point??  But for now, they're still in their rooms.

It sounds like the staff is doing everything they can do to follow health guidelines and keep everyone safe -- lots and lots of sterilizing everything, constantly.  Of course we know that in a matter of days, this could all snowball into a disaster.  Because if it had already spread to three people before they caught it, then who knows..   (And yes, we're very worried about my mother.)

I'm curious to know if the facility went into any kind of lock down early?  I have a friend whose parents are in a facility that locked down except for necessary employees about 3 weeks ago. If residents leave, they must self-isolate off site for 14 days. No visitors, including family. 

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to the residents in your mom's facility.

25 minutes ago, saraha said:

Ohio's nonessential business shut down is a joke. The only thing it changed in our community is that the only clothing store in our county closed. My dh and those of all my neighbor's are still working, as the businesses are allowed to self determine their essentialness. Yesterday in his address the governor responded to questions about employees who feel like their place of business should not be open with the statement to take it up with your employer. I have been with him up to this point and think that on all of his other actions he has been a front runner in this, till we got to here.

This is how it is in Houston too. Yesterday Dillards at the Galleria was open! Furniture stores are open, the homeschool store is open, Academy, etc. Any business that's willing to risk it has found a loophole to declare themselves essential. Luckily most people seem to be staying home, but we'll see. I wonder if more restrictive lockdowns will be coming. 

All the districts in the metro are doing curbside meals for K-12 students. HISD just stopped - citing the need to keep workers safe. HISD serves some of the highest-need kids in the area, so that really sucks. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I’m also curious about this. Cuomo has been very measured and reassuring about staying ahead of the need, but the projected numbers he’s citing are high and they match the current high numbers of cases and the rate of growth...

Yeah, I’m also curious about this. Cuomo has been very measured and reassuring about staying ahead of the need, but the projected numbers he’s citing are high and they match the current high numbers of cases and the rate of growth...

Yep. I’m sure everyone knows how I lean politically, lol, but I’ve never paid attention to Cuomo in the 9 or so years we’ve been here. I have been seeing more outrage the past couple of days with people’s feelings about the situation at Rikers. 

I think his press briefings have been excellent. He seems to be one who knows his stuff. And cares.

I’m reading a book now by Alter, about FDR. It’s not all rosy, either. But he explains how FDR has a way of dealing with his countrymen, whether empathetically or not. And it worked to calm and uplift them; I see a big similarity with Cuomo recently.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

This is how it is in Houston too. Yesterday Dillards at the Galleria was open! Furniture stores are open, the homeschool store is open, Academy, etc. Any business that's willing to risk it has found a loophole to declare themselves essential. Luckily most people seem to be staying home, but we'll see. I wonder if more restrictive lockdowns will be coming. 

All the districts in the metro are doing curbside meals for K-12 students. HISD just stopped - citing the need to keep workers safe. HISD serves some of the highest-need kids in the area, so that really sucks. 

I saw that Mattress Mac was offering meals to people. I bet he’ll find some way to help the HISD kids.

Can I share a small bit of good news and do a victory lap?

Our area was one of the first with community spread, just behind Seattle.  We had a super spreader in one of the jr highs, and another in an elementary school.  The health department wouldn't test people without travel because they were short on tests and because of some political infighting about what the role of the public health department is versus private providers. (It is so epically stupid.) In the meantime, Facebook is blowing up because moms are reporting sick kids.  The school district is trying to keep a lid on things, but parents start pulling their kids from these schools in mass protest. I had already disenrolled my elementary aged kids, but I was fighting to keep my jr high student enrolled because he has an IEP and because he needs a long document trail for some services he can start receiving in two years. 

I applied for an in-district transfer for him to the district's online academy. I was told no.  I appealed to his IEP coordinator and our jr high principal who each asked on my behalf. I was told no again.  The online academy principal called me. I was told no again, with some longer explanation involving her boss saying no.  All of this came to a standstill when the governor shut the schools for a two week period. In the meantime, I emailed the school board. I sent a public comment to the online school board meeting which the superintendent (the online academy principal's boss) had to respond to.  I generally became a buzzing fly annoying everyone and raising good questions in the hopes that I would be a problem easily dealt with by granting my request.  (I hate being that person, but advocates gotta advocate, iykwim.)  The governor extended the school shutdown, and all fell silent.

I thought it odd that I hadn't heard from his brick and mortar school....no tech survey, no notes, nothing.

This morning we received notification of his acceptance into the online academy.  😁

-------

There are a lot of things that have not gone well this week. A drug I take and need has gone into shortage. I am not getting medical care I really need.  Like, lots of yucky.  This is one thing that has gone right! It's so nice to have something to celebrate!

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I personally think they should be charged with something very substantial even if they don’t have the virus.  It is still a form of terrorism, sabotage... 

I already did some government contact us forms to that effect.  I guess it is time for some more.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

When I look at graphs it again looks to me like cases and deaths are doubling  every ~3 days in many places in world 

Edited by Pen

@Pen@mathnerd@square_25 effects on global economy 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/china-factories-reopen-fire-workers-covid-19-coronavirus-shreds-12578824

China's factories reopen, only to fire workers as virus shreds global trade

In the past week, requests to cancel orders or delay shipments from his European and US clients have flooded in.

Early in the outbreak, China imposed tough travel restrictions and factory suspensions to curb the spread of the virus, squeezing labour supplies and sending exporters scrambling to fulfil orders.

Now, the reverse is happening - overseas orders are being scrapped as the pandemic ravages the economies of China's trading partners.

"The unprecedented shutdown of normal economic activity across Europe, the US and a growing number of emerging markets is certain to cause a dramatic contraction in Chinese exports, probably in the range of a 20-45 per cent year-on-year drop in the second quarter," said Thomas Gatley, senior analyst at research firm Gavekal Dragonomics.

Shi said his fabric supplier in hard-hit Italy suspended operations on Sunday, meaning no fresh raw materials from May. His stockpile of fabric will last until the end of April.

Shi said he would slow production and might suspend all output soon if business does not improve.

He also told the 50-odd workers who have yet to return from Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak in China, to find jobs elsewhere.

"We know this year is bad and next year would be better, but the question is how many factories can make it to next year?" Shi said.

"The last overseas orders we received were for April," said Zhu Hongping, chairman of Hangzhou Hongli Food, a supplier of precooked food to restaurants in Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand.

Normally, at this time of the year, orders can stretch to June and July, Zhu said, adding he may have to suspend production in three months.

Even when they do have orders, exporters are worried about constantly changing restrictions countries have adopted to curb the spread of the virus.

"Even if we finish the products, we don't know if the countries we are shipping to will be locked down," said Yi-Cheng Sung, who helps manage a factory that produces makeup brushes and accessories in Shenzhen.

On Tuesday, state-owned Securities Times reported Good Will Watch Case Manufacturing, a supplier to the US watch brand Fossil, would put its more than 600 workers on leave for at least three months.

A 23-year-old salesman at a mirror factory in Yiwu in Zhejiang province said US clients cancelled over US$500,000 of orders on Saturday alone.

Some of the factory's more than 1,000 workers have since been suspended while others are given more days off per week, the salesman said, declining to be named.

"I think the company will start to lay off people soon," he said.”

• Sad 2

I am crushed. My DH just called and one of our best clients is on a vent with CV19. He may not make it. He is young and fit with no comorbidities. He and his husband are lovely people. We've been fixing their boat for 10 years. I am petrified of this effing virus, and just so so sad.

• Sad 45
1 hour ago, Pen said:

I personally think they should be charged with something very substantial even if they don’t have the virus.  It is still a form of terrorism, sabotage... 

I already did some government contact us forms to that effect.  I guess it is time for some more.

As far as I’ve heard, they’re getting charged with terrorism and criminal mischief, which together hold very hefty financial penalties and jail time.

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1