Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

5 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

@Arcadia I've snipped out some of the information because I only wanted to comment on a few points.

I read the paper put out by China. It will be interesting to see what other countries discover.

Idk how common the virus is in fecal matter, but first I saw of it was for the first USA case in Washington.  More recently it seems to be cause of spread in the Hong Kong apartment block.

Just now, Pen said:

Idk how common the virus is in fecal matter, but first I saw of it was for the first USA case in Washington.  More recently it seems to be cause of spread in the Hong Kong apartment block.

That number comes from what China wrote up in their paper. I don't know if other countries have written about this. I imagine the cruise ship will be analyzed.

The transmission in Hong Kong, from what I've read, was caused by either a fan pulling the toilet spray into other apartments or faulty plumbing. The fan seems pretty likely. I have lived in buildings with over 700 apartment units and I can see how venting could move viruses from apartment to apartment. A nightmare.

I have read that sometime this week in Virology, China is supposed to publish their results using ozone to kill CODIV in hospitals in. That will be interesting.

54 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Not yet but I'm hoping they're all improving. Hoping no news is at least "okay news."

A contingency plan for the management of the 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak in neonatal intensive care units https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352464220300407#bib3

Since December, 2019, a pneumonia of unknown cause, which has clinical manifestations similar to severe acute respiratory syndrome,1, 2 originated in Wuhan, China, and has rapidly spread across China and to at least 23 countries. By Feb 5, 2020, the number of laboratory-confirmed cases had exceeded 20 000, with more than 400 deaths. About 100 children were affected, with the youngest being 30 h after birth. A novel virus named 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) was considered to be the causative agent of this pneumonia. Neonates are thought to be susceptible to the virus because their immune system is not well developed, which is of great concern to neonatal medical service providers. Paediatricians and neonatologists belonging to the National Clinical Research Center for Child Health and Disorders and Pediatric Committee of Medical Association of Chinese People's Liberation Army have contributed to the control efforts in China. We aim to elicit a contingency plan for the 2019-nCoV outbreak in neonatal intensive care units (NICUs), mainly focused on diagnostic and discharge criteria, treatment, prevention, and control strategies.”

10 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

A contingency plan for the management of the 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak in neonatal intensive care units https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352464220300407#bib3

Since December, 2019, a pneumonia of unknown cause, which has clinical manifestations similar to severe acute respiratory syndrome,1, 2 originated in Wuhan, China, and has rapidly spread across China and to at least 23 countries. By Feb 5, 2020, the number of laboratory-confirmed cases had exceeded 20 000, with more than 400 deaths. About 100 children were affected, with the youngest being 30 h after birth. A novel virus named 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) was considered to be the causative agent of this pneumonia. Neonates are thought to be susceptible to the virus because their immune system is not well developed, which is of great concern to neonatal medical service providers. Paediatricians and neonatologists belonging to the National Clinical Research Center for Child Health and Disorders and Pediatric Committee of Medical Association of Chinese People's Liberation Army have contributed to the control efforts in China. We aim to elicit a contingency plan for the 2019-nCoV outbreak in neonatal intensive care units (NICUs), mainly focused on diagnostic and discharge criteria, treatment, prevention, and control strategies.”

They are spraying down areas with a bleach solution and Decon 7, a hydrogen peroxide solution. That's good. It's a lot of work but will help to prevent transmission.

China has ordered huge amounts of Decon 7 which is capable of killing the virus for 8 hours and is made here in the US by Decon7 Systems. They recently opened three more plants and are running double shifts to meet demand. Typically, it would be shipped but these are going by air. I wonder if more countries will be placing orders as well.

Here is some information about two of the babies.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-disinfectants/u-s-disinfectant-maker-boosts-output-as-china-hospitals-battle-virus-idUSKBN1ZX0J9

The authorities say the girl, Jiang Moumou, who caught it at one month, is stable. That is good.

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-infects-1-month-old-baby-china-health-officials-say-1485525

The baby who tested positive at 30 hours has shortness of breath and is being treated. He looks full-term which is also good.

14 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@Pen The report for the 24 days incubation period 

Clinical characteristics of 2019 novel coronavirus infection in China https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.06.20020974v1

There was 2 new cases in Germany today supposedly linked to the first case.  That was 16 days ago.  But maybe they were infected later by one of the other workers.

31 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

US Postal service suspends shipping to China till sufficient transport capacity becomes available

From CBS news https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-mail-china-disruption/

“February 11, 2020 / 3:33 PM

The suspension of flights to slow the spread of a deadly new virus is having a major impact on global flows of letters and parcels, say postal operators in the United States, China and elsewhere.

In a note seen by The Associated Press, the U.S. Postal Service informed its counterparts around the world on Tuesday that it is "experiencing significant difficulties" in dispatching letters, parcels and express mail to China, including Hong Kong and Macau, "because most of its supplier airlines have suspended their flights" to those destinations.

As a consequence and "starting immediately," USPS said it can no longer accept items destined for China, Hong Kong and Macao "until sufficient transport capacity becomes available."

Likewise, in another, separate note seen by the AP, Singapore Post told its global counterparts that it is no longer accepting letters, parcels and express mail items destined for China, "until sufficient transport capacity becomes available."

The notes were shared with postal services around the world via the Universal Postal Union, a U.N. agency headquartered in Switzerland that is a main forum for postal cooperation between its 192 member countries.

In a statement to the AP, the UPU said that the suspension of flights because of the virus "is going to impact the delivery of mail for the foreseeable future."

"But it is hopefully temporary. The Universal Postal Union is carefully monitoring the operational situation, and is in constant contact with postal operators to ensure any backlog is cleared in the shortest possible time," it said.

The Chinese mail service, China Post, said it is disinfecting postal offices, processing centers, and vehicles to ensure the virus doesn't travel via the mail and to protect postal staff.

The virus does "not survive for long on objects. It is therefore safe to receive postal items from China," said a China Post noted transmitted via the UPU.

Letters, parcels and express mail that do still make it to China will be delivered "via non-face-to-face methods," the note said.

It said the crisis is also impacting mail that transits China to other destinations. The affected countries include North Korea, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Vietnam.

The note said China Post will temporarily store undelivered transit mail "and will transport it to the destination countries when these transport options are once again available."

"Delays should be expected in transport and delivery during this period," it said.

Other countries have also reported virus-related postal disruptions.

South Africa's postal service has warned of delays in receiving letters or parcels from China because of flight suspensions. In Austria, the APA news agency says the Austrian postal service is no longer sending letters or packages to China but that Austrians can still receive mail from China. In Sweden, PostNord also says letters can no longer be sent from there to China.”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

From CBS news https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-mail-china-disruption/

“February 11, 2020 / 3:33 PM

The suspension of flights to slow the spread of a deadly new virus is having a major impact on global flows of letters and parcels, say postal operators in the United States, China and elsewhere.

In a note seen by The Associated Press, the U.S. Postal Service informed its counterparts around the world on Tuesday that it is "experiencing significant difficulties" in dispatching letters, parcels and express mail to China, including Hong Kong and Macau, "because most of its supplier airlines have suspended their flights" to those destinations.

As a consequence and "starting immediately," USPS said it can no longer accept items destined for China, Hong Kong and Macao "until sufficient transport capacity becomes available."

Likewise, in another, separate note seen by the AP, Singapore Post told its global counterparts that it is no longer accepting letters, parcels and express mail items destined for China, "until sufficient transport capacity becomes available."

The notes were shared with postal services around the world via the Universal Postal Union, a U.N. agency headquartered in Switzerland that is a main forum for postal cooperation between its 192 member countries.

In a statement to the AP, the UPU said that the suspension of flights because of the virus "is going to impact the delivery of mail for the foreseeable future."

"But it is hopefully temporary. The Universal Postal Union is carefully monitoring the operational situation, and is in constant contact with postal operators to ensure any backlog is cleared in the shortest possible time," it said.

The Chinese mail service, China Post, said it is disinfecting postal offices, processing centers, and vehicles to ensure the virus doesn't travel via the mail and to protect postal staff.

The virus does "not survive for long on objects. It is therefore safe to receive postal items from China," said a China Post noted transmitted via the UPU.

Letters, parcels and express mail that do still make it to China will be delivered "via non-face-to-face methods," the note said.

It said the crisis is also impacting mail that transits China to other destinations. The affected countries include North Korea, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Vietnam.

The note said China Post will temporarily store undelivered transit mail "and will transport it to the destination countries when these transport options are once again available."

"Delays should be expected in transport and delivery during this period," it said.

Other countries have also reported virus-related postal disruptions.

South Africa's postal service has warned of delays in receiving letters or parcels from China because of flight suspensions. In Austria, the APA news agency says the Austrian postal service is no longer sending letters or packages to China but that Austrians can still receive mail from China. In Sweden, PostNord also says letters can no longer be sent from there to China.”

I did receive the parcel I was waiting on.  Glad for my sons sake it got through.

i must admit I disinfected it even though I know that’s a little bit ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Also 1 quarantine officer who was doing inspections on diamond princess infected.

4 of the passengers have severe symptoms, going to ICU

It appears that several crew are infected and it’s difficult for them to be isolated due to lack of space.  I honestly think the idea of keeping everyone on board is not going to work at this point.  If the quarantine period resets every time someone gets sick (and it should of crew who are serving food are getting sick) then they are just going to have to keep sitting there till it goes through the entire ship.  At this point I think Australia needs to consider organising an evacuation flight for their citizens to a quarantine camp as was done for the Wuhan people.   Or at bare minimum get the elderly and high risk passengers off.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

At this point I think Australia needs to consider organising an evacuation flight for their citizens to a quarantine camp as was done for the Wuhan people.   Or at bare minimum get the elderly and high risk passengers off.

This is an excellent idea. I understand that we left them there because it was an emergency, but continuing to leave them there is not a solution.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

39 new cases on the Diamond Princess.  I’m not sure what’s being done but I do feel like countries with citizens on board/infected should be providing Japan with whatever support they need for treatment of infected passengers and support of those in quarantine.  

Looks like no one is sharing the burden with Japan for Diamond Princess 😞

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/10/us/coronavirus-cruise-ship-americans-quarantine/index.html

“Tokyo(CNN)At least 24 Americans are among the 135 people infected with coronavirus aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama, Princess Cruises said Monday, explaining it is using numbers from Japan's Health Ministry. 

Princess has not released the nationalities for six patients who the cruise line said were added to the overall tally Sunday.

More than 3,000 people -- including 428 Americans -- are stuck on the cruise ship that became a floating quarantine zone after dozens of people tested positive for coronavirus.

Early in the week, Fehrenbacher said his mood was "pretty good." By the third day of quarantine, the ship's captain had laid out rules allowing passengers in interior cabins to get some fresh air, Fehrenbacher said. The passengers are allowed out for about an hour and a half, but have to wear masks at all times and stay one meter away from each other.

Rebecca Frasure and her husband, Kent, learned Friday that 41 additional people tested positive, she said in a video blog, "and come to find out that I was one of those 41 people." She had a slight cough, she said, but no other symptoms. 

Footage filmed by Kent Frasure showed Japanese health officials at the door to their cabin, notifying Rebecca she would need to go to the hospital within the hour. Kent, who tested negative, couldn't come.

"I may be there for three days to I-don't-know-how-long," Frasure said. "I guess it depends on if I develop any further symptoms."

Newlyweds Milena Basso and Gaetano Cerullo are also on the ship, but instead of enjoying the honeymoon they'd planned for more than two years, they're worried about staying healthy and being trapped for longer than 14 days. 

"We just don't feel like we're safe," Basso told CNN. "We should be quarantined in a sanitary environment that's safe, not on a cruise ship that's already infected." 

Basso made a plea to US President Donald Trump: "Get us a government-based airplane. Get us off the ship." 

American author Gay Courter, who is stuck in a cabin on the ship with her husband, Phil, said she's having nightmares about people she's been in contact with on the ship who may have been infected.

The Japanese government has said they can leave the ship on February 19, Courter said, but she's not optimistic.

"I'm not going to trust that statement, because so many more are getting sick," she said.

Watching ambulances come and go from her cabin's balcony and seeing people running around in hazmat suits, Courter told CNN's Erin Burnett it's "like I've landed in a B movie, and I can't wake up."

"I don't know what they're going to do with us," a weary Courter said. "Our wish, our fervent hope, is the United States government is working on a plan to get the 400 Americans out of here."”

CDC US pamphlet for the cruise ship US passengers https://www.princess.com/news/pdfs/alert-cdc-letter-for-diamond-princess.pdf

• Sad 4

23 minutes ago, Slache said:

This is an excellent idea. I understand that we left them there because it was an emergency, but continuing to leave them there is not a solution.

Having said that we don’t even have everyone out of Wuhan yet.  And no plans for a 3rd flight.

plus as other regions are going into lockdown there will be pressure to get people out as well.  Although the Pm encouraged people to leave last week stating that they won’t necessarily do another evacuation.

• Like 1

@Ausmumof3

From Japan Times https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/11/national/science-health/japan-elderly-leave-quarantined-diamond-princess-cruise-ship/#.XkNLiSWIaEc

“The government is planning to allow elderly passengers as well as those with chronic illnesses to leave the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship soon, possibly on Tuesday, a source familiar with the matter said.

The move came a day after 65 more people aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama tested positive for the novel coronavirus, bringing the tally to 135.

All 65 passengers had left the ship for medical facilities by Tuesday afternoon, according to an announcement from inside the vessel that was recorded and posted to Twitter by another passenger. That announcement also appeared to confirm that the elderly and chronically ill were also leaving the ship, saying that guests who had “required medical attention” had disembarked.

The announcement also said that 45 doctors, 55 nurses, 45 pharmacists — most of them volunteers — had arrived on the ship.

The government has asked about 3,600 passengers and crew members to stay on board in Yokohama during the two-week isolation period through Feb. 19 in an effort to contain the spread of the pneumonia-causing novel coronavirus.

The decision to let elderly people and those with chronic illnesses leave was apparently made in consideration of passengers grappling with extreme stress during their prolonged isolation on the ship. As of last Wednesday, about 80 percent of the 2,666 passengers were age 60 or older, with 215 in their 80s and 11 in their 90s.

Masahiro Kami, head of the nonprofit Medical Governance Research Institute, said that elderly people with chronic illnesses could suffer rapid aggravations of their health conditions due to stress if confined to their cramped cabins.

“They will be susceptible to virus infection and risk their lives,” Kami said.

A male passenger aboard the vessel said that some fellow passengers’ health was already eroding.

“Needed medical care is not reaching us even though there are many people whose health is deteriorating,” he said. “We want (the government) to send more doctors, nurses and consultants.”

The man, whose age was not known, pointed out that there is only one extension number for health consultations on the cruise ship, and that the number is difficult to connect to and often involves long waits to receive necessary responses.

Although the government delivered medicine for conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure for 750 people on Sunday, it has not yet been able to get antifebrile medicine to one passenger who has been suffering a high fever.

The Diamond Princess, the cruise ship operated by U.S. company Princess Cruise Lines Ltd., has been kept in quarantine since a passenger, who disembarked in Hong Kong, was found to be infected with the virus.”

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pen said:

Was the UK business man who contacted covid19 and spread it to 11 others asymptomatic  for a number of those transmissions?

it's been demonstrated people are contagious before they are symptomatic. - and they'll test negative before they're symptomatic.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pen said:

Was the UK business man who contacted covid19 and spread it to 11 others asymptomatic  for a number of those transmissions?

Walsh said: “I would like to thank the NHS for their help and care – whilst I have fully recovered, my thoughts are with others who have contracted coronavirus. As soon as I knew I had been exposed to a confirmed case of coronavirus I contacted my GP, NHS 111 and Public Health England.

“I was advised to attend an isolated room at hospital, despite showing no symptoms, and subsequently self-isolated at home as instructed. When the diagnosis was confirmed I was sent to an isolation unit in hospital, where I remain, and, as a precaution, my family was also asked to isolate themselves.”

36 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

Am I the only one wondering if anyone from Wuhan came to say, Disney World,  over their New Year?  Is anyone sure that it's not already circulating?  Maybe NYC, LA, ect?  

Many Chinese tourists at LV, Universal Studios and all the premium outlets. 

33 minutes ago, Pen said:

He was asymptomatic. I read the same news article as @Ausmumof3 quoted from. 

• Like 1

@Ausmumof3 @StellaM @Melissa in Australia

Toddlers stuck in wuhan and no more evacuations planned 😞

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/11955520
“It's been 19 days since Australian Shirley Xiang, her husband Tony Chen and their three children, Christopher, 10, Summer, 4, and Matthew 2, became trapped in an apartment in Wuhan.

Key points:

According to ABC estimates, about 13 Australian children are still in Wuhan

DFAT has said there are "no plans" for any more evacuations

Families say they are scared they will catch coronavirus

So far they have managed to isolate themselves from the coronavirus. But now they are running out of food.

And they say they are running out of hope that they will be rescued by the Australian Government.

Australia has evacuated more than 500 of its citizens out of Wuhan, the epicentre of the deadly outbreak, with the first cohort under quarantine on Christmas Island and the second touching down in Darwin on Sunday.

Despite several stranded Australians registering their details with the Government, at least five families say they were not notified of the departing flights, and were left behind.

Now, families like Ms Xiang's have been told there are no more flights on the horizon.

The ABC has seen emails from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) telling families there were "no plans currently for any more Australian Government assisted departure flights".

"As the Prime Minister has said, Australians should not rely on further assisted departure from Wuhan or mainland China," the email states.

"We encourage you to continue to follow the advice of local authorities in China, and monitor the Smartraveller website."

Ms Xiang, whose husband Mr Chen is a permanent resident, said she was desperate to get out, but did not get a chance to board the initial flight despite alerting the Australian Government to her presence in Wuhan.

"We don't mind being quarantined in the difficult environment on Christmas Island, but we didn't get a chance for the next flight at all," she said.

The ABC understands that at least 13 Australian children, along with two infantswho are waiting for their citizenship, are still in the locked-down city with their families — stuck in the epicentre of an outbreak that has already killed more than 1,000 people in mainland China.

In January, China placed Wuhan under total lockdown, but the death toll has continued to climb, already surpassing the 2002–2003 SARS outbreak.

There are also more than 43,000 confirmed cases of the flu-like infection in the country.

Two Qantas-operated flights, and one in cooperation with New Zealand, evacuated more than 500 Australians out of Wuhan.

Ms Xiang said she thought the Australian Government would put children on the plane as a priority, but received an email telling her there were no seats on the second flight last weekend.

Many of the families left behind are running out of essentials like food, nappies and baby formula, leaving them no alternative but to venture out.

Families feeling 'helpless and hopeless'

Xuefen Zhou and her family of eight, with five Australian citizens and three permanent residents, had also been hoping they would be evacuated.

Her three children, Orla, 5, Orli, 4, (both pictured below) and Oaklyn, 2, are Australian citizens.

Making things worse is the fact that two of the children's Chinese visas are going to expire in March.

Ms Zhou told the ABC that when DFAT contacted her about the first flight out to Christmas Island, she and her husband were in self-quarantine and didn't want to risk potentially infecting other passengers. 

She said her family would be happy to join a later flight after the 14-day quarantine (which ended on Monday), but was told there were no more Government assisted flights planned.

Wenjing Chu, another Australian who is trapped in Wuhan with her children, Chengyao, 4, and Chengzhe, 2, said she had seats booked on the second flight out, but sustained an injury and was unable to walk for two days.

Ms Chu missed the flight and contacted DFAT to apply for a place on the next plane back to Australia, but was told there were no more planned evacuations. 

She said the Government did not understand how difficult it was for families with young children.

"If my child fell sick, hospitals in Wuhan won't accept us because they are full. We really want to go back."

The US Government evacuated more than 800 passengers from Wuhan, including US citizens, their immediate family members and lawful permanent residents, according to a spokesperson from the US Embassy and Consulates in China.

New Zealand evacuated 98 New Zealanders, and also gave spare seats to people from 12 countries — including 35 from Australia, 17 from Timor Leste and 17 from Papua New Guinea, according to a spokesperson from New Zealand's Parliament.

According to Reuters, Singapore has evacuated 266 people in two flights from Wuhan. The country's Foreign Affairs Minister, Vivian Balakrishnan, said last Monday in Parliament that the Government "will not leave" any Singaporean behind.

Australian citizen Mel, 39, who did not want to use her real name, and her mother, an Australian permanent resident, said they did not understand why they did not deserve to be evacuated.

The Melbourne resident said her mother was going to run out of medication soon. The 69-year-old has also developed severe insomnia.

"There are lots of problems and uncertainty if the [Australian] Government is leaving us here," Mel said.

"We feel helpless and hopeless now.

"We hope our Government won't leave us behind."

DFAT did not respond to the ABC's requests for comment by deadline.”

Coronavirus: Australia blocks evacuation of nine-year-old girl from Wuhan, risking human rights violation https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3048871/coronavirus-australia-blocks-evacuation-nine-year-old-girl

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@Ausmumof3 @StellaM @Melissa in Australia

Toddlers stuck in wuhan and no more evacuations planned 😞

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/11955520
“It's been 19 days since Australian Shirley Xiang, her husband Tony Chen and their three children, Christopher, 10, Summer, 4, and Matthew 2, became trapped in an apartment in Wuhan.

Key points:

According to ABC estimates, about 13 Australian children are still in Wuhan

DFAT has said there are "no plans" for any more evacuations

Families say they are scared they will catch coronavirus

So far they have managed to isolate themselves from the coronavirus. But now they are running out of food.

And they say they are running out of hope that they will be rescued by the Australian Government.

Australia has evacuated more than 500 of its citizens out of Wuhan, the epicentre of the deadly outbreak, with the first cohort under quarantine on Christmas Island and the second touching down in Darwin on Sunday.

Despite several stranded Australians registering their details with the Government, at least five families say they were not notified of the departing flights, and were left behind.

Now, families like Ms Xiang's have been told there are no more flights on the horizon.

The ABC has seen emails from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) telling families there were "no plans currently for any more Australian Government assisted departure flights".

"As the Prime Minister has said, Australians should not rely on further assisted departure from Wuhan or mainland China," the email states.

"We encourage you to continue to follow the advice of local authorities in China, and monitor the Smartraveller website."

Ms Xiang, whose husband Mr Chen is a permanent resident, said she was desperate to get out, but did not get a chance to board the initial flight despite alerting the Australian Government to her presence in Wuhan.

"We don't mind being quarantined in the difficult environment on Christmas Island, but we didn't get a chance for the next flight at all," she said.

The ABC understands that at least 13 Australian children, along with two infantswho are waiting for their citizenship, are still in the locked-down city with their families — stuck in the epicentre of an outbreak that has already killed more than 1,000 people in mainland China.

In January, China placed Wuhan under total lockdown, but the death toll has continued to climb, already surpassing the 2002–2003 SARS outbreak.

There are also more than 43,000 confirmed cases of the flu-like infection in the country.

Two Qantas-operated flights, and one in cooperation with New Zealand, evacuated more than 500 Australians out of Wuhan.

Ms Xiang said she thought the Australian Government would put children on the plane as a priority, but received an email telling her there were no seats on the second flight last weekend.

Many of the families left behind are running out of essentials like food, nappies and baby formula, leaving them no alternative but to venture out.

Families feeling 'helpless and hopeless'

Xuefen Zhou and her family of eight, with five Australian citizens and three permanent residents, had also been hoping they would be evacuated.

Her three children, Orla, 5, Orli, 4, (both pictured below) and Oaklyn, 2, are Australian citizens.

Making things worse is the fact that two of the children's Chinese visas are going to expire in March.

Ms Zhou told the ABC that when DFAT contacted her about the first flight out to Christmas Island, she and her husband were in self-quarantine and didn't want to risk potentially infecting other passengers. 

She said her family would be happy to join a later flight after the 14-day quarantine (which ended on Monday), but was told there were no more Government assisted flights planned.

Wenjing Chu, another Australian who is trapped in Wuhan with her children, Chengyao, 4, and Chengzhe, 2, said she had seats booked on the second flight out, but sustained an injury and was unable to walk for two days.

Ms Chu missed the flight and contacted DFAT to apply for a place on the next plane back to Australia, but was told there were no more planned evacuations. 

She said the Government did not understand how difficult it was for families with young children.

"If my child fell sick, hospitals in Wuhan won't accept us because they are full. We really want to go back."

The US Government evacuated more than 800 passengers from Wuhan, including US citizens, their immediate family members and lawful permanent residents, according to a spokesperson from the US Embassy and Consulates in China.

New Zealand evacuated 98 New Zealanders, and also gave spare seats to people from 12 countries — including 35 from Australia, 17 from Timor Leste and 17 from Papua New Guinea, according to a spokesperson from New Zealand's Parliament.

According to Reuters, Singapore has evacuated 266 people in two flights from Wuhan. The country's Foreign Affairs Minister, Vivian Balakrishnan, said last Monday in Parliament that the Government "will not leave" any Singaporean behind.

Australian citizen Mel, 39, who did not want to use her real name, and her mother, an Australian permanent resident, said they did not understand why they did not deserve to be evacuated.

The Melbourne resident said her mother was going to run out of medication soon. The 69-year-old has also developed severe insomnia.

"There are lots of problems and uncertainty if the [Australian] Government is leaving us here," Mel said.

"We feel helpless and hopeless now.

"We hope our Government won't leave us behind."

DFAT did not respond to the ABC's requests for comment by deadline.”

Coronavirus: Australia blocks evacuation of nine-year-old girl from Wuhan, risking human rights violation https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3048871/coronavirus-australia-blocks-evacuation-nine-year-old-girl

Yes

i just heard a live media conference where they reiterated again that there are no more evacuations and no evacuation planned for the cruise ship although they are setting up a mental health hotline for affected passengers for what that’s worth.  
(I do believe in fixing mental health problems but not as a substitute for action on the physical problems making the mental health problems!  Like raising postnatal depression awareness or ptsd awareness while simultaneously cutting funding and services to new mums and veterans!  Anyway that’s way off topic)

I do believe the media have picked it up and are applying pressure.  But Australia will wait till US acts before taking further action.

they did confirm they have been in contact with Indonesia to offer help with testing but Indonesia have testing facilities and state officially they have no cases.

• Like 1

From abc7news. UCB took down its insensitive Instagram 

Coronavirus: SF State educator addresses xenophobia in the Bay Area https://abc7news.com/society/coronavirus-xenophobia-in-the-bay-area-/5922670/

“"People are being racially profiled for being Asian looking, especially if you're wearing a mask. On social media, people are being trolled a lot. There are reports sadly of school kids getting bullied," Jeung said.

Recently, UC Berkeley received some backlash after the campus health care center posted on its Instagram page.

5922669_MARTL438_Berkeley_Instagram.jpg

It says, "Please recognize that experiencing any of these reactions can be normal" and then lists xenophobia as a common reaction.

The university has since deleted the post and issued an the following apology:

"We apologize for our recent post on managing anxiety around coronavirus. We regret any misunderstanding it may have caused and have updated the language in our materials."”

2 students of the local University up the street are in quarantine at a local hospital while they get tested for the virus. Very little info about the cases has been released. The University did confirm that the students didn't live on campus but would not confirm if they were on campus when classes started back up in Monday or why they are suspected of having it. 

I will continue not to be anxious about this but i eagerly wait the news that they are negative since I'm all over that campus and the city itself regularly. 

• Sad 1

my nephew and his wife were in western china visiting her family when news of this broke.  (should have gone to your grandfather's 102nd birthday instead . . . . . .)  they left earlier than originally planned, and got out before the ban on foreign nationals coming through china was implemented.  I'm not sure she would have been allowed back in, she's a Chinese citizen, even though she's married to an American.

they've been in isolation at home, so far so good.

• Like 3

Other stuff Ive seen and I’m wondering if it’s accurate or not.

one business providing supplies for construction for 6 different hospitals.  Are there 6 hospitals being built?

a law in one province allowing private property to be requisitioned to assist in the fight against the virus

Apparently the Lancet came out last Saturday and said this virus did NOT originate in that seafood market.  (I admit, when I learned is a Level 4 biolab in Wuhan . . . . .only takes one mistake. )
a very politically connected friend sent me a video of Senator Cotton talking in conference with various high ranking military, incld. the Commander of CentAfrica. trying to determine the ability of various African nations to deal with this if it enters their countries.  the only ones Gen.Townsend had confidence in are those who have previously dealt with ebola.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Other stuff Ive seen and I’m wondering if it’s accurate or not.

one business providing supplies for construction for 6 different hospitals.  Are there 6 hospitals being built?

a law in one province allowing private property to be requisitioned to assist in the fight against the virus

they built two 1,000 bed hosptials - then they've been converting many more sports stadiums, arenas, etc. into "hospitals".

it's disturbing to see the video of them going door to door and dragging away anyone who is sick.

4 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

Am I the only one wondering if anyone from Wuhan came to say, Disney World,  over their New Year?  Is anyone sure that it's not already circulating?  Maybe NYC, LA, ect?  

Many millions fled wuhan when they learned that the city was going to be quarantined soon (some estimates say 6 million fled). They are scattered in all parts of china now. There are 2 flights coming into SFO every day from China. There is no guarantee that the people who have fled Wuhan are not taking those flights from other cities to the US. A lot of those chinese passengers head over to Disneyland, legoland and Universal Studios. They are also lined up at the local luxury outlets and Apple stores, shopping. I am told that many of them take a tylenol 45 minutes before the plane lands at SFO just in case their body temperatures are high and a scanner at the airport detects it (according to a chinese friend of mine who knows people who did that recently). My county (with the highest cases of coronavirus in the US) bizarrely announced that it has declared the coronavirus a "local emergency" but that the risk is very low. Their explanation is that this will allow the county to access funding if there is a real emergency later on.

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

they built two 1,000 bed hosptials - then they've been converting many more sports stadiums, arenas, etc. into "hospitals".

it's disturbing to see the video of them going door to door and dragging away anyone who is sick.

Yes I have seen the videos.  This seemed to suggest there were six new hospitals being built through 5 different regions of China

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

Many millions fled wuhan when they learned that the city was going to be quarantined soon (some estimates say 6 million fled). They are scattered in all parts of china now. There are 2 flights coming into SFO every day from China. There is no guarantee that the people who have fled Wuhan are not taking those flights from other cities to the US. A lot of those chinese passengers head over to Disneyland, legoland and Universal Studios. They are also lined up at the local luxury outlets and Apple stores, shopping. I am told that many of them take a tylenol 45 minutes before the plane lands at SFO just in case their body temperatures are high and a scanner at the airport detects it (according to a chinese friend of mine who knows people who did that recently). My county (with the highest cases of coronavirus in the US) bizarrely announced that it has declared the coronavirus a "local emergency" but that the risk is very low. Their explanation is that this will allow the county to access funding if there is a real emergency later on.

That was similar to the uk.  They deemed it a significant risk so they could enforce quarantine but then said it was low risk to individuals.

my suspicion is there is a significant risk and they are trying to avoid panic buying, share market crash etc.  and of course no one wants to press the panic button.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

Anyone who says they’re sure it’s not is delusional or lying. When a healthy white guy picks it up in Singapore and spreads it around Europe, how does anyone pretend all bets aren’t off? How many people were traveling around the globe in December and January?

I’m still in “everyone is going to be exposed” mode. My earlier big fear was that dh would get stuck in NYC if an outbreak were detected. It’s not like they’ve never shut bridges and tunnels before. But there’s a real push to keep everything status quo, so I figure he’ll just bring it home to us.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

From Financial Times 
https://www.ft.com/content/278e81f8-c74e-3206-ac2f-f27e1245ff0b 

(FYI, Singapore has the requisition act too https://sso.agc.gov.sg/Act/RRA1985 )

“Philip Georgiadis  3 HOURS AGO

China seizes hotels, hospitals and cars to fight coronavirus

Ryan McMorrow and Sun Yu in Beijing report:

Chinese authorities have begun emergency requisitioning of private hospitals, hotels, apartments, cars and even face masks as the country’s rising number of coronavirus patients threatens to overwhelm local government facilities.

But the measures, particularly the requisitioning of hospitals, have left some people with other life-threatening diseases without critical care, creating what one relative of a cancer patient affected by the seizures described as a “humanitarian” disaster. China’s southern industrial hub of Guangzhou this week joined a host of other big city governments such as Zhengzhou, Fuzhou and Xi’an in passing emergency legislation for requisitioning.

In Wuhan, the centre of the outbreak, local authorities have seized offices, student dormitories and other hospitals to create more beds for coronavirus patients.

“Wuhan’s health system has collapsed because of the epidemic. The government has basically ignored other diseases,” said city resident Liu Congfeng, whose mother-in-law was suffering from cancer but had lost her hospital bed to coronavirus patients.”

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

38 minutes ago, Acadie said:

gardenmom5, do you have a link for this? I searched and couldn't find anything. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30063-3/fulltext

this is right day of lancet; I don’t see it saying that covid19 did not originate at seafood market, but is interesting nonetheless.  I didn’t know people were eating the way it describes for an audience, for example 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pen said:

So possibly sick people will have to find a way to get from Cambodia to where they reside?  Sounds fraught

From Forbes https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/02/12/passengers-stranded-on-coronavirus-free-cruise-ship-call-for-help/amp/

• “It will now dock in Sihanoukville in Cambodia on Thursday, where passengers will disembark over a few day and will be transported to the capital, Phnom Penh, and flown home. Holland America Line says it will pay for the flight sand refund passengers their entire trip.
  • The MS Westerdam had planned to disembark its passengers in Thailand after Japan, The Philippines and Guam turned away the cruise ship. The Thai government on Tuesday offered fuel, food, and medicine to the cruise ship.“
  • Like 4