Menu

1 hour ago, Happymomof1 said:

My husband is probably high risk, but he and my daughter are not here.  I came back early to be with him. My daughter who did not get her flu shot this year.  ( She was 18 and though we have required it every year before, we thought she was an adult so we shouldn't force her.)  I'm actually the healthiest with no risk factors though I am mid fifties.  My husband and daughter have asthma and so we don't want to give anything to them.    I may have to try that.  I definitely shouldn't be reading the thread about people having to take morphine because they cannot breathe...  Oh my goodness.  That is HORRIBLE!!!!

@Happymomof1

I agree that you need to stop reading this.  You probably need to have a news fast as well -- at least for a few hours.  Check out the Happiness Thread on this forum.  

• Like 4
  • Replies 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• prairiewindmomma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DS got home 3 hours ago!  ❤️❤️

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

That's not a blanket right.  If my religion required human sacrifice, I can't practice it.  If my religion required sexual assault, I can't practice it. Freedom of religion isn't a blanket right

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Happymomof1 said:

Yes, but I do not have a choice right now..  Even if tho it is probably "just the flu"  because a friend has it.. I cannot leave.  I mean I do not want to leave.  I don't want to infect anyone else...  But I'm wondering if this is what claustrophobia feels like...  Literally.   I haven't even survived one day yet...  How in the world can I do another month...

I'm not in complete lockdown mode, but I am extremely limiting. I found myself glued to the internet, so I decided to set a timer so I can get up and move around. Went outside for a walk in the yard, sat on the porch, I will do some cleaning, maybe put on some jazz.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Iron Jenny Flint said:

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

Hmmm. I really hope people do NOT flood all the remaining open "fun things to do"! 😕 

Yes.  I also really hope they don't get their prevention advice from the Herald.  Love the last one. (smh).

Quote:

If you do decide to go to one of the locations above, make sure to follow the Centers for Disease Control’s tips on the best ways to prevent being exposed to the virus:

Clean your hands often: Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol and avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.

Avoid close contact: Put distance between yourself and other people.

Cover coughs and sneezes: Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or use the inside of your elbow, throw used tissues away and immediately wash your hands or sanitize them.

Wear a facemask if you are sick: If sick wear a facemask when you’re around other people. If not, you do not need to wear one.

20 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Because parents are apparently letting kids go out a ton when schools are closed. (And, I agree with you they need to be closed. They are still on where I am. Grrr!!)

Here it’s not the parents. Kids are kind of loitering at my local supermarket after school dismissal every day. These kids are mostly latchkey kids. 
Schools are closed from March 16th here and my district didn’t give any school work for the three weeks. Libraries are closed. Won’t be surprised if kids hang out at the nearby malls.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I doubt it.  Although grocery stores are currently seeing a surge due to panic buying, generally, stores don't make money when people buy only what they need.  Stores need people walking in and impluse buying things like $2.50 Coke from the fridges at the check out.  They need people to walk past all the Easter candy and expensive ice cream before they get to the milk so that people splurge on that and don't ONLY buy milk.  Online shopping/pick up service eliminates a lot of impluse buying and ultimately, I think that going to ONLY that would hurt retail in the long run.  (at least, in terms of grocery and other everyday necessities.)

Yes, and grocery stores only earn about 2.5% profits even in the best of times.

33 minutes ago, square_25 said:

. So why are we leaving schools open?? 

In our town, the hospital is one of the largest employers. School closure means healthcare professionals won't be working and kids not eating.That were two main reasons our school district gave in yesterday's update for remaining open.

13 minutes ago, Iron Jenny Flint said:

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241198021.htm

Isn't this to some degree, defeating the purpose of school closures?

Good grief! It’s not a school holiday, you...(bad words here) fools! That article is so dumb, I had to check and make sure it wasn’t The Onion! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Iron Jenny Flint said:

Was your "No" to the article or to my question? 

The article  & all the people who feel like this is an excuse to take a holiday.

• Like 3

There was some talk wayyyy back in this thread about trying to break it into separate threads. At the time, I guess it was decided that wasn't going to happen. Now there are several threads, but I don't think the discussion in this thread is going anywhere.

But not losing all the news because of discussion is important! I don't know where the balance is, but maybe if everyone tried to keep discussion from going too far off news, it would be okay. Yeah, I know that'll be different for everyone. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Hah, I would be in your shoes as well. I'll PM me if it turns out that I shouldn't post publicly, but I personally think it's not a bad idea to have some discussion in this thread -- I think it's thought-provoking for people looking this over. On the other hand, I don't want things to get too contentious :-). So I'd like some guidance on belongs here. 

Well, I've mostly been just a bystander to this thread but I liked it better when it was mainly news with a bit of discussion and not much, if any, arguing. Maybe it's just because there are more people posting here now, but it is harder to find the newsworthy bits when you're having to scroll through disagreement after disagreement. Just my opinion...

A big thank you to Arcadia and Ausmumof3 and Pen and everyone else who has been keeping us up to date with the latest news!

• Like 11

Our school just texted to let us know they are closing for at least the remainder of the month effective immediately. They had initially said they would let us know on Monday, so they've obviously been working tirelessly this weekend, decided the best course of action, and wanted to give the school community the most time they could to make arrangements.

DS has been getting surveys this weekend from his teachers asking how students would best like to proceed—live classes, YouTube type where they can be watched at various times, links to khan academy and so on...he really feels that he’s in good hands, which greatly helps ease his anxiety.

Now we are waiting for the state to ask all non essential state employees to work from home, so DH won’t have to go in to his office. On Monday I’ll see if I can do most of my work remotely, though my job doesn’t put me in much interaction with others anyway. I’m in isolation mode already. We did go for a hike this afternoon though which helped reduce our stress levels and felt more “normal”. I’m going to insist we get lots of outdoor time (away from others, of course. Easy to do where we live).

• Like 5

I would be happy if we can be relatively contention and anxiety free here. Like, we are all feeling stressed out but I don’t want to have to leave this thread because it goes sideways like some other threads. I don’t mind discussion, but I have been struggling with the tone change. Does that help? We are a community. I can’t tell people what to do....just offering some feedback.

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Selkie said:

A big thank you to Arcadia and Ausmumof3 and Pen and everyone else who has been keeping us up to date with the latest news!

THIS!!! ^^^

• Like 9
1 minute ago, StellaM said:

This is literally the only thread on the same board where I feel like I can express my (reasonable) fears and frustrations. 

I did not know till today that it was only meant for news.

It wasn't meant only for news.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

our church has made changes.  We have hand sanitizers everywhere.  We have been told not to kiss icons & cross but to bow or cross ourselves.  We are no longer to take communion as we used to but take it like a baby bird.  Essentially, the priest pours the Mysteries into our mouth - no touching.  Coffee hour (generally a big deal in EO churches) and Church school are cancelled.  Our parish live-streams its services so people are encouraged to utilize that.  We went to liturgy this morning with about 15 people for Memorial Saturday.  Lots of room to spread out.  They were cleaning down pews and icons when I left.  I would have stayed to help but my back was killing me.   My son and I don't plan to go to church tomorrow morning.  

I think my daughter's parish (ROCOR ) is considering cancelling.  Her FIL (the senior priest) is over 65 and not in good health.   Her parish usually has less than 50 people on a good day.

Update From the OCA Juristiction of the Orthodox Church:  "Everyone in the parish or mission, other than the priest(s) (and deacon(s)), a reader, a server, and a limited number of chanters or singers (all of whom are physically strong and at low risk for COVID-19), is encouraged to remain at home, even at the time of the Divine Liturgy."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think it is the fighting that showed up for awhile that caused issues...

In other news, I found this article interesting: 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8112063/America-braces-coronvirus-collapse-100-00-ICU-beds-10-MILLION-hospitalized.html

The Twitter thread from Andy Slavitt that they quote is extremely alarming.

On another note, the US reported approximately 20,800 tests so far. That's not the total because some states have stopped reporting negative tests, but we are finally ramping up the number of tests being done.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, StellaM said:

This is literally the only thread on this board where I feel like I can express my (reasonable) fears and frustrations. 

If most people want to keep it for news, I'll respect that, but I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right about now and people are just going to have to give me a pass for any tone change that occurred prior to me knowing it's just a news thread. I thought it was news, personal experiences and advice.

Well, I like the mix of news and discussion.  There are plenty of places to see news only.  I want to know what people from different places and viewpoints *think* about that news.  I also like the local/national angles.  Just my $0.02.

Edited by DoraBora
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, StellaM said:

This is literally the only thread on this board where I feel like I can express my (reasonable) fears and frustrations. 

If most people want to keep it for news, I'll respect that, but I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right about now and people are just going to have to give me a pass for any tone change that occurred prior to me knowing it's just a news thread. I thought it was news, personal experiences and advice.

I didn’t think it was just for news, either. 

Perhaps people can express things, but if one finds oneself going back and forth debating or arguing or counterpointing someone, maybe keep that to a minimum?  One or two volleys back and forth and then let it drop?  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@mathnerd

Trader Joe’s Fremont Hub was filled with empty shelves and staff were doing deep cleaning on those shelves that are empty.

Costco Fremont is well stocked except for Costco brand bottled water and toilet paper. No Sambucol, Emergen-C, or Claritin.

6E3650A3-893B-4B2F-9335-4B5D65727616.jpeg

AEB4A917-B31E-49FF-BEE5-D983534F04CE.jpeg

616C5578-9298-4403-B394-E9D893695F72.jpeg

2978A3F7-CA86-4F56-919F-7BEF7E55354E.jpeg

1293029F-A856-4302-9E83-AD864D4A6971.jpeg

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Graph of cases shows how many exceptionally mild 20-something cases we're likely missing:

It’s interesting that S Korea has so many fewer in the 2 oldest categories.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Terabith said:

I am worried about families where both parents are in health care or essential services like fire fighting.  I feel like I should offer to watch kids, but I also don't want to put my own family at risk.  

6 hours ago, Katy said:

If no one in your family is high risk it would probably be fine.  If you know the family well but someone has moderate risk you could offer to let the kids stay with you for the duration.  That way parents can work double shifts, sleep a double shift, and not have to worry about the children at all.  They could facetime as needed.

I think that’s a great idea, but considering amount of time @Terabith seems to have had threads about being sick, maybe doing something like being a coordinator to facilitate homes for many kids in your area who may need them would make more sense than being a home for just one family ????

21 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Graph of cases shows how many exceptionally mild 20-something cases we're likely missing:

Thanks for posting this, @Farrar!

Original source for that graph & an article with more info if anyone wants to see it.

https://medium.com/@andreasbackhausab/coronavirus-why-its-so-deadly-in-italy-c4200a15a7bf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Pen said:

I think that’s a great idea, but considering amount of time @Terabith seems to have had threads about being sick, maybe doing something like being a coordinator to facilitate homes for many kids in your area who may need them would make more sense than being a home for just one family ????

I saw an immunologist, who did some tests and decided I really don't have an immunological issue; I just have higher than average exposure.  (And, um, that I needed to quit biting my nails.  Which was REALLY hard to do, but seems to have made a big difference.  Oops.  That literally had never occurred to me.)  He said that since I recovered from viral infections in about five days without needing antibiotics, that that was a good sign.  

That said, I reached out to a couple families that I was specifically concerned about, and they don't need help right now.  

• Like 1

@mathnerd

https://abc7news.com/health/alaska-airlines-employee-at-sfo-tests-positive-for-covid-19/6014055/
“SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- An Alaska Airlines customer service agent at San Francisco International Airport has tested positive for coronavirus, officials said Saturday.

Alaska says that the employee felt sick and left work on Tuesday.

Their positive test result came back Friday.

The airline says the employee is now recovering and feeling better.

Alaska is working to identify anyone who may have come into contact with this employee and says it has also thoroughly cleaned the areas where the agent worked and its employee breakroom.”

Edited by Arcadia
22 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Well, people seem to be saying they don't want expressions of frustration. 

it was doing fine so long as it doesn’t go off into politics (especially US divisive politics) And doesn’t end up upset anger at each other.

it wasn’t just news and doesn’t need to be, but had had a supportive feeling and imo needs to keep that.

• Like 1
Just now, Arcadia said:

@mathnerdhttps://abc7news.com/health/alaska-airlines-employee-at-sfo-tests-positive-for-covid-19/6014055/
“SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- An Alaska Airlines customer service agent at San Francisco International Airport has tested positive for coronavirus, officials said Saturday.

Alaska says that the employee felt sick and left work on Tuesday.

Their positive test result came back Friday.

The airline says the employee is now recovering and feeling better.

Alaska is working to identify anyone who may have come into contact with this employee and says it has also thoroughly cleaned the areas where the agent worked and its employee breakroom.”

It is hard to trace all of the passengers who came in contact with a customer service agent since last Tuesday to a week before that. The horse is out of the barn already on contact tracing or preventing the spread of this virus, sadly.

• Sad 2
1 minute ago, StellaM said:

I'm drowning today. 

Just...no-one can tell me how I am supposed to manage my own high risk,  a 60% drop in income, and the kids' dad's sudden at-home dialysis, when I have to go to work in the schools they won't close, with the kids parents won't keep home, and then not get frustrated when posters come in and spread harmful advice. The new thread, someone already said it was just for people with options. 

{{{{StellaM}}}}

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I saw an immunologist, who did some tests and decided I really don't have an immunological issue; I just have higher than average exposure.  (And, um, that I needed to quit biting my nails.  Which was REALLY hard to do, but seems to have made a big difference.  Oops.  That literally had never occurred to me.)  He said that since I recovered from viral infections in about five days without needing antibiotics, that that was a good sign.  

That said, I reached out to a couple families that I was specifically concerned about, and they don't need help right now.  

Btw, Antibiotics are not appropriate for viral infections unless there’s a simultaneous bacterial infection. 

I am glad that the families you reached out to are ok. At least for now.

18 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Or maybe people with unhelpful and inaccurate things to say could just refrain from posting on this thread. Idk. 

What I hear is that this is yet another place of all the places which are saying 'ooh, don't get mad!'

I fully acknowledge I am not in a good place today, and perhaps what I'm hearing isn't what is being said.

(Friendly tone) I’m actually not exactly sure what you’re referring to.  I had read every single post on this thread until page 100 and then life got in the way and I couldn’t keep up, so I’ve been reading only every 5th page or so. The first 100 pages of this have been amazing—facts, articles, opinions, ideas of what to do and how to handle things.  I’ve been glued to it.  But once I started reading fewer posts I didn’t realize that the tone had changed until someone pointed it out about 1 or 2 pages ago.  

I’m sorry if what I said sounded like it was pointed at anything in particular.  I wasn’t talking to you when I wrote it, I only quoted you because I was agreeing with you that I thought the point of this thread was beyond just sharing facts.  I don’t want this thread to change.  I haven’t seen for myself anyone arguing or getting upset (but like I said, I’ve missed a bunch of pages of the last 35 pages.). 

My suggestion was born out of a desire to brainstorm ways to keep the thread open, but not pointed at anything specific. If there were unhelpful or inaccurate posts, I missed those. I wasn’t referring to anything you have posted because I have missed all of your posts except I saw one about your husband and his health.  

7 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I'm drowning today. 

Just...no-one can tell me how I am supposed to manage my own high risk,  a 60% drop in income, and the kids' dad's sudden at-home dialysis, when I have to go to work in the schools they won't close, with the kids parents won't keep home, and then not get frustrated when posters come in and spread harmful advice. The new thread, someone already said it was just for people with options. 

Just saw this come in after I wrote the above.  

What you wrote is overwhelming and a downright impossible burden to bear.  ((((StellaM)))). 

Edited by Garga
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Pen said:

Btw, Antibiotics are not appropriate for viral infections unless there’s a simultaneous bacterial infection. 

I am glad that the families you reached out to are ok. At least for now.

Right, but his point was that I recovered relatively quickly and viral stuff didn't turn into bacterial.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, StellaM said:

The problem is that the response IS political.  And I mean, what the heck is political anyway? Is talking about school closures political? Is contradicting harmful and inaccurate advice that's come from politicians, political?

Since you are in Australia you can probably write things sort of about Aus politics without causing thread shut down.  

There is a very divisive political situation in USA currently .  

Probably would be best if you want to contradict incorrect advice from politicians just to give the correct facts as best you know them, ideally with a source reference of where you got the correct facts— without mentioning the politician at all. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I'm drowning today. 

Sending some love your way.  I missed the update from you earlier but hoping for some strength for you to deal and better solutions and response for all of us.  

I really don’t mind discussion in this thread at all, just hope we can keep it alive.

ABC:  Spanish PM's wife tests positive

Spain has been the big story this morning when it comes to coronavirus and now the wife of Spanish PM Pedro Sanchez has tested positive.

Begoña Gómez was confirmed positive shortly after the PM spoke this morning after Spain's death toll rose by over 70 in the 24-hour period.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

ABC:

World case numbers

A few of you have asked for world numbers so here are some of what might be most relevant to you all.

Worldwide cases: 156,112

Worldwide recovered: 73,995

Worldwide deaths: 5,829

China cases: 80,990 - deaths: 3,203

Italy cases: 21,157, deaths 1,441

Iran cases: 12,729, deaths 611

Spain cases: 6,391, deaths 195

France cases: 4,480, deaths 91

Germany cases: 4,585, deaths 9

USA cases 2,726, deaths 54

UK cases: 1,143, deaths 21

These are the latest figures from Johns Hopkins University

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
46 minutes ago, StellaM said:

You’ve been fine. 

I don’t think discussion is the problem.

I don’t think personal experience is the problem.

I think the problem is when things have turned into attacks whether against a media personality, a politician, a political party, or people on the thread feeling attacked.  

It can happen accidentally of course.

And it can happen from personal stress and fear too.  

But we need to try to keep things supportive.  Even if we are trying to suggest to someone that this might not be best time for a round the world in 80 days trip, we still need to do our best to keep it supportive.  

You weren’t responsible for the problem posts anyway afaik, so maybe best let it be? 

• Like 3

https://abc7news.com/health/coronavirus-impacting-tahoe-ski-resorts/6013940/
“Coronavirus Impact: Tahoe resorts temporarily closing over COVID-19 concerns

LAKE TAHOE, Calif. (KGO) -- Coronavirus closures are now impacting Tahoe ski resorts.

Northstar, Heavenly and Kirkwood ski resorts will be closed starting Sunday, March 15.

Vail Resorts, which owns all three, made the decision to close all North American mountain resorts until Monday, March 23.

Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows is also suspending operations tomorrow with no immediate plans to reopen.”

• Like 1

I joined a Covid-19 health workers FB group today and they were talking on there about Italy having to make decisions about not intubating those over 60. It's hard to even imagine such a situation!

• Sad 5

This is not news or medical information. Just my own personal life.

I don't normally have anxiety issues, but I have had a lot of anxiety since things began really ramping up on Thursday. A lot of that was worry about my college kid in Santa Clara County. She wasn't planning to come home until after her finals were done next Friday. We talked to her Thursday and she was ready to change that, so we booked her on a flight out of there today. She went through SJC where 4 TSA agents have tested positive. Talk of limiting domestic travel just brought on a wave of anxiety again--just let me get my kid home! Anyway, I picked her up from PDX this afternoon and we have her home safe, so that will help with the anxiety a bit. It will go down more the longer we have her here healthy and can drop the fear that she picked up the virus somewhere along the way. We're all off school/work through the end of March. Well, dh is still working, just working from home. And college kid still has two online finals to take this week. But we don't have to go anywhere.

• Like 11

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanres/PIIS2213-2600(20)30116-8.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0c355qjqAKhemt8JHlD_uCfFVWZPcYqc8jh8LIEg6qPyQJhTP0nhofAMQ

The link above, if it works, is to a study about ACEi and ARBs and possible link to worse prognosis with Covid-19.

Now I'm worried about going to work and what that will be and now I'm worried about bringing it home and passing it on to dh who takes an ARB for hypertension.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, TCB said:

It’s interesting that S Korea has so many fewer in the 2 oldest categories.

That's because they're testing everyone. 

If you only test people with severe symptoms, and the virus is much more severe in the elderly, then positive test results are going to be skewed toward the elderly.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@Pen@Ali in OR@square_25@Matryoshka
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/national-international/americans-brace-for-new-life-of-no-school-and-growing-dread/2254614/

““We have not reached our peak,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health. “We will see more cases, and we will see more suffering and death.”

Many working parents are scrambling to find child care, even if they are being allowed to work from home. The child care needs are especially dire for the legions of nurses, hospital and health care workers across the country who need to be on the job to deal with the crisis.

Governors drew up emergency plans to find child care for front-line medical workers and first responders, equating it to a wartime effort.

“I would put this as a World War II-capacity daycare for our public health workers because we’re going to need every single body we can get," said Oregon Gov. Kate Brown.

Olsen takes care of two babies, but starting next week, two girls ages 9 and 11 whom she once watched will also be under her supervision. Olsen said the girls’ parents are doctors and asked for her help after school was canceled. 

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio defied mounting pressure to close the nation's biggest school system, saying shutting the schools for the more than 1.1 million students could hamper the city’s ability to respond to the crisis by forcing parents who are first responders and healthcare workers to cast about for child care or stay home.”

• Like 1