Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

I thought this was an interesting article about the local epidemiologist and other health department workers who communicated with the first USA coronavirus patient and the people he had contact with.  They would even shop for the people who had to remain in isolation at home, bringing them things like hair conditioner and blueberries.  

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/inside-the-race-to-contain-americas-first-new-coronavirus-case/

Edited by Laurie

9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

interesting diagram from Singapore indicating probable local transmission.  

The Grand Hyatt hotel case is another https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/wuhan-coronavirus-who-singapore-hyatt-conference-malaysia-korea-12400518

“(Updated: 06 Feb 2020 06:56PM)

SINGAPORE: At least three employees of a multinational company that held a meeting of more than 100 international staff in Singapore have contracted the new coronavirus, sparking a World Health Organization investigation of the case.

Malaysia and South Korea have confirmed three cases of the virus related to the mid-January company meeting held with 94 overseas staff at the Grand Hyatt hotel, and Singapore said late on Wednesday (Feb 5) four other attendees were showing symptoms.

The sister of a Malaysian who attended has since been infected, while Singapore said virus symptoms had surfaced in four of the firm's local staff.

Authorities have not revealed the name of the company, although Korea has said it was an international sales firm.

Malaysian health authorities have said people from China including one from the city of Wuhan, where the virus emerged in December, attended.

"WHO is coordinating with relevant ministries of health in relation to it," Olivia Lawe-Davies, a spokeswoman for the WHO, said in response to questions from Reuters.

"As countries are stepping up surveillance, the detection of more cases of local transmission can be expected."

Singapore has reported 28 cases of the coronavirus, including some involving person-to-person transmission.

The cases linked to the Singapore business meeting provide more evidence the virus is spreading through human-to-human contact outside China, which the WHO has said is deeply concerning and could signal a much larger outbreak.”

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

interesting diagram from Singapore indicating probable local transmission.  

This one might be clearer. No need Facebook login to see https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157099186547934&id=93889432933&__tn__=*s*s-R

ETA:

Facebook link not working. 
This news link, last image titled confirmed coronavirus cases in Singapore https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/what-we-know-about-the-5-families-among-singapore-s-confirmed-12400658

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Sun Chunlan, a vice premier in charge of the government response to the outbreak, gave the order to round up the infected and place them in isolation, quarantine or designated hospitals, The New York Times reports.

Authorities in the city of 11 million people have scrambled to meet those instructions by setting up makeshift mass quarantine shelters this week, including in a sports stadium, exhibition centre and a building complex.

Ms Sun said investigators should go to every home and check temperatures of every resident and interview the close contacts of infected patients. “Set up a 24-hour duty system. During these wartime conditions, there must be no deserters, or they will be nailed to the pillar of historical shame forever,” she said.

When inspecting the Hongshan Stadium shelter on Tuesday, she said anyone who should be admitted must be rounded up. “It must be cut off from the source!” she said of the virus, according to Chinese news outlet Modern Express. “You must keep a close eye! Don’t miss it!”

I just received a blast email from a British friend who is on one of the cruise ships being refused entry to ports.  She did not say anyone onboard is ill just that they picked up passengers in Hong Kong.  They have no idea when they will return home......she was canceling plans with our group for next week.  

• Sad 3

23 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I just received a blast email from a British friend who is on one of the cruise ships being refused entry to ports.  She did not say anyone onboard is ill just that they picked up passengers in Hong Kong.  They have no idea when they will return home......she was canceling plans with our group for next week.  

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-03/adelaide-couple-stuck-on-cruise-ship-refused-entry-to-manila/11923620?pfmredir=sm

this one?  They were meant to finish in Japan but japan won’t accept them.  Which I kind of understand given they have 61 cases from the other cruise ship.  But it can’t keep floating around forever either.

28 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-03/adelaide-couple-stuck-on-cruise-ship-refused-entry-to-manila/11923620?pfmredir=sm

this one?  They were meant to finish in Japan but japan won’t accept them.  Which I kind of understand given they have 61 cases from the other cruise ship.  But it can’t keep floating around forever either.

I think you could be right.......cannot believe my friend is on that boat or on any boat involved in this.  May I just say boarding 800 passengers in Hong Kong was nuts,  what were they thinking?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I think you could be right.......cannot believe my friend is on that boat or on any boat involved in this.  May I just say boarding 800 passengers in Hong Kong was nuts,  what were they thinking?

Yeah it seems questionable.  Although flights were still open to Hong Kong as well.  If this doesn’t get controlled it’s definitely going to be a case of a series of actions taken a few days too late.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pen said:

Link not working- looks like FB May have removed access.  Did u screenshot whatever it was? 

It’s weird. Found another link with the image https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/what-we-know-about-the-5-families-among-singapore-s-confirmed-12400658

just in case, this is the image that I linked to upthread 

964FE43D-810B-4A15-8EA6-A084FCA0D3C9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a GP on the Gold Coast. Seeing & testing possible #coronavirus patients in the community. We cannot order any more P2 masks or gowns. Suppliers are out of stock Recommendations now to use a standard surgical mask.

Evidence or operational basis to the change?

concerning tweet from Gold Coast doctor 

backed up by a follow up from another Australian doctor expressing the same concern

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Pen said:

Case 24 and 25 are married, but believed to have contracted it from 2 different contacts, not each other?  Maybe I am misreading the infographic. 

It’s two different locations. So case 25 and 24 could have infected each other, or they could have been infected by the same tour group who visited both locations 

“Case 24 is a 32-year-old Singaporean who had no recent travel history in China.

She is a tour guide who took groups to Yong Thai Hang, the same shop where cases 19 and 20 worked.” https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/coronavirus-spore-reports-first-cases-of-local-transmission-4-out-of-6-new-cases-did-not

”Cases 25, 27 and 28 are part of a local cluster of transmission involving cases 19, 20, 21 and 24, which can be traced to a Chinese tour group. 

The tour group from Guangxi comprised 20 tourists who had visited Singapore last month.” https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/wuhan-virus-singapore-coronavirus-new-cases-baby-12399000

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:
I’m a GP on the Gold Coast. Seeing & testing possible #coronavirus patients in the community. We cannot order any more P2 masks or gowns. Suppliers are out of stock Recommendations now to use a standard surgical mask.

Evidence or operational basis to the change?

backed up by a follow up from another Australian doctor expressing the same concern

Uh oh!!!

I wonder if what they do have can be cleaned in some way. autoclave or steam sanitized or something

Study re cloth masks:

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577

we have some respirator masks because of chemical sensitivity and other problems. I thought if new coronavirus gets close,  thing to do would be to cover the respirator masks in a fabric washable in hot water.   So there’s an outer washable layer to help preserve integrity of mask underneath... (and if necessary to put nonwashable underlying mask to sit for 48 or 72 hours ideally in sunlight).  That way a small number of respirator masks could be rotated through along with maybe t-shirts or some sort of easy wash cloth that could tie on over masks...

@Ausmumof3 @Pen

This is quoted from an Australian company. Looks like the bushfires contributed to the shortage. https://shop.taylorsafety.com.au/blogs/news/2020/Jan/29/masskshortage

“Nation-Wide P2 Mask Shortage

29 Jan, 2020

Across the nation, due to the recent bushfire crisis, and the coronavirus fears that have been spreading, P2 masks have had an exceptionally high demand, leading to a nation-wide shortage. Unfortunately, we at Taylor Safety Equipment are not exempt from this. As such, we request that you acknowledge that due to our limited stock, orders placed online may not be fulfilled for a long period of time, and stock may be inconsistent with what is shown on our website. We are doing our best to get more masks, but given the crises it has been exceptionally difficult. We appreciate your understanding.

What's a P2 mask?

If you're not sure what we're talking about, disposable P2/N95 face masks (also known as P2/N95 respirators) are face masks that filter very fine particles from the air when worn correctly and when a good fit is achieved.

P2 masks are normally used for occupational and workplace safety reasons, for example by outdoor workers, technicians and trades workers. They are also used by healthcare workers caring for patients with certain infectious diseases. P2 masks also provide protection against the fine particles generated by bushfires, but only if used correctly and if a good fit is achieved. 

What should I do if I can't get a P2 mask?

If you don't live in a bushfire-affected area, you should be fine. The best way to protect yourself from bushfire smoke and poor air quality is to reduce your exposure by staying indoors with windows and doors closed, and avoiding outdoor exercise.

The ABC reported that the most important part of virus defence is hygiene - particularly hand washing. If you make sure to wash your hands after being in contact with others, you are much less likely to catch any disease - coronavirus or not. The World Health Organisation recommends hand hygiene, and recommends "people sneezing and coughing into their elbow" as simple but effective ways to limit the transmission of the infection. 

Should I be worried?

If you live in a bushfire-affected area, you should have already acquired a face mask or established some way of dealing with the smoke. If not, there will be resources available to help you further. As for the coronavirus - the much more recent affliction - as long as you keep up with hygiene, experts seem to believe that you should be at little risk.

No fatalities have been recorded outside of China, and those in most risk are children and the elderly. As a whole, there is little risk, even to those with friends or family recently returned from China. If you do observe symptoms - starting with a fever, and a cough or shortness of breath and can lead to more serious pneumonia-like complications - you should head to a GP. It is advised that you call the GP in advance, to warn them of your visit, to ensure no unwarranted infection occurs.

Should I buy any P2 masks I can find?

Unless you have reason to believe you're in serious risk, this is not recommended. Health concerns mean that returning/refunding respiratory protection is inadvisable, even if unused, and we urge you to consider your situation carefully rather than panicking and purchasing. ”

46 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Would your govt release more P2/N95 masks from the national medical stockpile?

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/one-million-masks-released-as-australia-reviews-coronavirus-response-20200129-p53vqx.html
“January 29, 2020 — 12.54pm

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced 1 million masks will be released from the national medical stockpile, as the government reviews its response to the coronavirus outbreak after reports it could be transmitted without symptoms.

The masks will be distributed on Wednesday through local public health networks to general practices and pharmacists in areas where stocks had been depleted by the bushfire response, Mr Morrison told reporters in Canberra.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has revealed a plan to fly some Australian citizens out of the Hubei province but admits there's no guarantee of success.

It comes after worried GPs called for "urgent" assistance to replenish their stocks of P2 and surgical masks as they prepared to deal with an influx of suspected coronavirus cases.

Chief medical officer Brendan Murphy said an urgent meeting of all expert groups would "reconsider whether our medical advice should be changed" when it met on Wednesday afternoon to evaluate the veracity of two cases of human-to-human transmission outside China by patients who had not yet developed symptoms - one in Germany and the other in Japan.

"The normal advice has been with these viruses that you need to be symptomatic to be infectious," he said.

The flu-like coronavirus has now killed 132 people, mostly in China, and as of Wednesday morning had 6,000 confirmed cases.

Health minister Greg Hunt said there were 21.5 million masks in the national health stockpile, comprising 12.5 million P2 masks and 9 million surgical masks, which were "the appropriate masks for this particular type of action", and that "if more are required, more will be provided".”

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Would your govt release more P2/N95 masks from the national medical stockpile?

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/one-million-masks-released-as-australia-reviews-coronavirus-response-20200129-p53vqx.html
“January 29, 2020 — 12.54pm

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced 1 million masks will be released from the national medical stockpile, as the government reviews its response to the coronavirus outbreak after reports it could be transmitted without symptoms.

The masks will be distributed on Wednesday through local public health networks to general practices and pharmacists in areas where stocks had been depleted by the bushfire response, Mr Morrison told reporters in Canberra.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has revealed a plan to fly some Australian citizens out of the Hubei province but admits there's no guarantee of success.

It comes after worried GPs called for "urgent" assistance to replenish their stocks of P2 and surgical masks as they prepared to deal with an influx of suspected coronavirus cases.

Chief medical officer Brendan Murphy said an urgent meeting of all expert groups would "reconsider whether our medical advice should be changed" when it met on Wednesday afternoon to evaluate the veracity of two cases of human-to-human transmission outside China by patients who had not yet developed symptoms - one in Germany and the other in Japan.

"The normal advice has been with these viruses that you need to be symptomatic to be infectious," he said.

The flu-like coronavirus has now killed 132 people, mostly in China, and as of Wednesday morning had 6,000 confirmed cases.

Health minister Greg Hunt said there were 21.5 million masks in the national health stockpile, comprising 12.5 million P2 masks and 9 million surgical masks, which were "the appropriate masks for this particular type of action", and that "if more are required, more will be provided".”

Maybe?  I don’t know why not.  Maybe they want them kept on reserve still.

australians advised to leave China now as there’s no guarantees of further evacuations

https://7news.com.au/travel/coronavirus/coronavirus-update-australians-urged-to-leave-china-as-soon-as-possible-c-686413

second lot of evacuees are going to a disused mining camp near Darwin. 

Westerdam cruise are speaking with the US dept of state to try to work out where to go?  They have enough food and supplies for now

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-07/stricken-westerdam-cruise-ship-denied-entry-to-japan/11943860?pfmredir=sm

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@Ausmumof3 @Pen

This is quoted from an Australian company. Looks like the bushfires contributed to the shortage. https://shop.taylorsafety.com.au/blogs/news/2020/Jan/29/masskshortage

“Nation-Wide P2 Mask Shortage

29 Jan, 2020

Across the nation, due to the recent bushfire crisis, and the coronavirus fears that have been spreading, P2 masks have had an exceptionally high demand, leading to a nation-wide shortage. Unfortunately, we at Taylor Safety Equipment are not exempt from this. As such, we request that you acknowledge that due to our limited stock, orders placed online may not be fulfilled for a long period of time, and stock may be inconsistent with what is shown on our website. We are doing our best to get more masks, but given the crises it has been exceptionally difficult. We appreciate your understanding.

What's a P2 mask?

If you're not sure what we're talking about, disposable P2/N95 face masks (also known as P2/N95 respirators) are face masks that filter very fine particles from the air when worn correctly and when a good fit is achieved.

P2 masks are normally used for occupational and workplace safety reasons, for example by outdoor workers, technicians and trades workers. They are also used by healthcare workers caring for patients with certain infectious diseases. P2 masks also provide protection against the fine particles generated by bushfires, but only if used correctly and if a good fit is achieved. 

What should I do if I can't get a P2 mask?

If you don't live in a bushfire-affected area, you should be fine. The best way to protect yourself from bushfire smoke and poor air quality is to reduce your exposure by staying indoors with windows and doors closed, and avoiding outdoor exercise.

The ABC reported that the most important part of virus defence is hygiene - particularly hand washing. If you make sure to wash your hands after being in contact with others, you are much less likely to catch any disease - coronavirus or not. The World Health Organisation recommends hand hygiene, and recommends "people sneezing and coughing into their elbow" as simple but effective ways to limit the transmission of the infection. 

Should I be worried?

If you live in a bushfire-affected area, you should have already acquired a face mask or established some way of dealing with the smoke. If not, there will be resources available to help you further. As for the coronavirus - the much more recent affliction - as long as you keep up with hygiene, experts seem to believe that you should be at little risk.

No fatalities have been recorded outside of China, and those in most risk are children and the elderly. As a whole, there is little risk, even to those with friends or family recently returned from China. If you do observe symptoms - starting with a fever, and a cough or shortness of breath and can lead to more serious pneumonia-like complications - you should head to a GP. It is advised that you call the GP in advance, to warn them of your visit, to ensure no unwarranted infection occurs.

Should I buy any P2 masks I can find?

Unless you have reason to believe you're in serious risk, this is not recommended. Health concerns mean that returning/refunding respiratory protection is inadvisable, even if unused, and we urge you to consider your situation carefully rather than panicking and purchasing. ”

Yes I think they released 1000 for the fires but that’s just from memory.  I know DHs work still has some and I think we have some at home for fire fighting.  I understand they aren’t needed for general public but would be nice to know the health care staff had access

• Like 1

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/cna-debunks-fake-tweet-announcing-school-closure-due-to-12404934

“CNA debunks fake tweet announcing school closure due to coronavirus outbreak

07 Feb 2020 02:43PM

SINGAPORE: A fake screengrab of a CNA tweet was circulated widely on social media on Friday (Feb 7) saying that all schools including polytechnics and universities are to close next Monday due to the ongoing novel coronavirus outbreak.

This is untrue and CNA did not send out such a tweet.

The image, which is being circulated on messaging app WhatsApp, appears to have been a doctored screengrab of another tweet sent out by CNA. One sign that it is fake is that tweets sent out by automation service dlvr.it would not include hashtags.

The doctored image also includes other tell-tale signs such as an outdated watermark.”

image.gif

• Like 1

10 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

So, I got asked for the first time if I had been in China in the last 14 days or if I had been in close contact with someone who had been.

This is a good question to ask. During the measles outbreak last year, everyone medical was screening everyone...

The problem is that I was asked this question in an outpatient lab after I had entered the hospital, traversed the whole thing, been in the elevators, waited in the wait room, “contaminated” a lab area, and had been taking to an ungowned-unmasked tech.

And, the only thing that would change would be that they would use droplet precaution for the lab draw.

Dude, that’s like locking the stable securely after the horses are long gone.

I have 0% confidence in our local healthcare precautions right now. If they are truly at all wanting to keep a handle on this, they need to be screening at the entrances to the facility. I was at the best hospital in my metro....the one people would triage to. 😞 Beds are already at 95-100% capacity anyway on a good day in flu season, so.... 

What happens here - I know because an acquaintance went through it - is if you get respiratory symptoms after returning from China, you call the free NHS enquiry line. A nurse takes you through your symptoms and then tells you to stay home whilst tracking symptoms and reporting in. My acquaintance did so and now has the all-clear.

Someone could disobey, or go to the doctor not knowing the system, but it seems like a decent compromise.

• Like 2

I just wanted to share a couple things my niece (she's Chinese - and was in China last month visiting her family. - fortunately she's not from Wuhan/Hubei.)  posted from the South China Morning Post.  (she and my nephew were able to return earlier than planned, before the travel bans. they've been self-quarantined at home.)

except - it's on FB, so I don't know how well links will come across.

the first was a 68 year old man who donated his life savings to help in the crises. another was a younger man who brought 500 facemasks and dropped them off at a police station.  both are on video, both fled before they could be thanked.

• Like 3

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlights/details/risk-assessment-raised-to-dorscon-orange

Singapore raises alert level to orange due to more local cases without traceable links to imported cases.  Recommending large events be cancelled or temperature screening be employed, schools will open but inter school and external events cancelled, daycares and elder care homes will limit visitors.  

• Sad 1

"Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced 1 million masks will be released from the national medical stockpile, as the government reviews its response to the coronavirus outbreak after reports it could be transmitted without symptoms"

Has this been proven?  The only report I saw stating that transmission can occur without symptoms was later retracted once the woman from China who infected the group in Germany was interviewed.

• Like 1

I’ve been pretty chill (for me, lol) these past few days, but may be headed for another swing.  I don’t want to play conspiracy theory or churn the rumor mill.  BUT, what’s a rumor? What’s miscommunication? What’s actually being messed with?  Dh’s friend has said nurses were being tested in his fiancés hospital (she’s a nurse) because of a confirmed case. That allegedly confirmed case has not been announced.  Did someone in that game of telephone get it wrong?  Or is it the other thing I don’t want it to be?

For concern-scale reference, friend and fiancé live in my parents’, sisters’, nieces’ and nephew’s town.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Maybe?  I don’t know why not.  Maybe they want them kept on reserve still.

australians advised to leave China now as there’s no guarantees of further evacuations

https://7news.com.au/travel/coronavirus/coronavirus-update-australians-urged-to-leave-china-as-soon-as-possible-c-686413

second lot of evacuees are going to a disused mining camp near Darwin. 

Westerdam cruise are speaking with the US dept of state to try to work out where to go?  They have enough food and supplies for now

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-07/stricken-westerdam-cruise-ship-denied-entry-to-japan/11943860?pfmredir=sm

Thanks for posting the Westerdam info.  With all the closed borders one has to really wonder where a cruise ship of mixed nationalities will be. allowed to dock.  Canada appears to be it so now confused with why the cruise line is talking to the US Stata Department.  Dh found some more detailed info on the Westerdam’s original itinerary and it aligns perfectly with what my friend said in her email.  How long is the recommended isolation time for this anyway?  Is it 14 or 21 days.....seems to be conflicting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlights/details/risk-assessment-raised-to-dorscon-orange

Singapore raises alert level to orange due to more local cases without traceable links to imported cases.  Recommending large events be cancelled or temperature screening be employed, schools will open but inter school and external events cancelled, daycares and elder care homes will limit visitors.  

Oh wow.  I would suspect that the other countries that have larger numbers like Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand to follow that soon.   

I am so conflicted on things.  Some people here are not worried, it is just like the flu. THen when you see the people caring for the ill all suited up, it doesn't feel like this isn't something to worry about. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Singapore raises alert level to orange due to more local cases without traceable links to imported cases.  

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/wuhan-coronavirus-dorscon-orange-singapore-risk-assessment-12405180

MOH also urged organisers to cancel or defer non-essential large-scale events. At workplaces, employers should require their employees to conduct regular temperature taking and check whether they have respiratory symptoms.

PRECAUTIONS AT WORKPLACE

Temperatures should be taken at least twice a day and anyone with a fever or who is unwell should leave the office immediately to see a doctor. Workplaces should also step up their business continuity plans and prepare for widespread community transmission, added MOH.”

image.png

• Thanks 1

From abc7news https://abc7news.com/5910452/

“BAYONNE, New Jersey -- Officials have provided an update after a Royal Caribbean cruise ship with a number of passengers who were quarantined due to concern over possible coronavirus infection docked in Bayonne, New Jersey Friday morning.

WABC-TV reports four people who were aboard the Anthem of the Seas are now being evaluated for possible infection at University Hospital in Newark, NJ.

Another 23 passengers who showed some concerning symptoms have been cleared and are on their way.

The rest of the passengers from the ship continue to disembark, and they are all being screened as a precaution.

The Anthem of the Seas arrived in Bayonne from the Bahamas at 6 a.m. Friday.

Several ambulances were seen pulling up along the dock. Officials from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) were on hand to greet the arriving ship.

The quarantined passengers, all Chinese nationals, started exhibiting symptoms aboard the ship.
A federal official told WABC-TV there was no indication any of the passengers actually have coronavirus, and that the quarantine steps were taken out of an abundance of caution.”

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/wuhan-virus-coronavirus-groceries-supplies-ntuc-sheng-siong-12406906

“(Updated: 07 Feb 2020 10:50PM)

SINGAPORE: Singapore has ample supply of essential food and household items, said Minister for Trade and Industry Chan Chun Sing on Friday (Feb 7), as he sought to reassure the public amid a surge in demand for groceries after the Government raised its Disease Outbreak Response System Condition (DORSCON) level to Orange.

Empty shelves and trolleys loaded with items such as instant noodles, toilet paper and milk were seen at several supermarket stores across the country, with NTUC FairPrice reporting "a sudden surge in demand" for groceries and personal hygiene products.

"There is no need to rush for essential supplies like rice or instant noodles," said Mr Chan in a Facebook post.

" Our supply lines for these essentials are intact and there is no risk of us running a shortage of essential food or household items. We also have our national stockpile for essential items," he added.

He urged the public to exercise individual responsibility and not hoard items unnecessarily.

“This will create undue panic and is unhelpful to the situation at hand,” he said”

3 hours ago, alewife said:

"Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced 1 million masks will be released from the national medical stockpile, as the government reviews its response to the coronavirus outbreak after reports it could be transmitted without symptoms"

Has this been proven?  The only report I saw stating that transmission can occur without symptoms was later retracted once the woman from China who infected the group in Germany was interviewed.

I think it has to be assumed that it either can transmit when asymptomatic, or else with such mild symptoms that people aren’t aware they are sick. 

Either way —  they need to proceed with care level that would be same as for asymptomatic transmission.  

Waiting till something like that is proven past any doubt means losing the chance to contain the virus spread.  It’s like insisting it can only be caught direct from animals and only admitting that’s not so after there are thousands of cases

I have been aware that between my chronic illness symptoms and reactions to environment (such as wood and slash burn smoke currently) it could be very hard to distinguish mild viral symptoms from autoimmune and environmental sensitivity symptoms.  

And here it’s cold and flu season, with the new coronavirus often having initial symptoms the same as cold or flu. 

Also the “normal” average human body temperature has been dropping and is only 97 point something F (last I heard down almost 1 degree F from where many thermometers are still marked as “normal”) so that mild fever may not be picked up.  I don’t know if Australian (or Chinese or Singapore or France) thermometers have been adjusted to new “normal” averages.  

• Like 1

@Arcadia do you have family etc in Singapore?

I think on chart “orange” looks accurate. 

Yet it seems like it would be a good time to try to get out ahead of the problem as much as possible.  For example, implement as much work / school from home via tech etc as possible now to increase containment ability:  Orange danger, but voluntary red response as much as possible, imho.   Not hoarding stuff, but being very cautious about transmission. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pen said:

@Arcadia do you have family etc in Singapore?

The bulk of my and my husband’s family is still there. We also have relatives (3 generations) in Australia and a cousin working in China. My late grandpa’s brother didn’t migrate from China so that branch of my family are still there but not at one of the high risk provinces. 
My side of the family is well stocked because of elderly relatives. My husband’s side just started stocking yesterday.

ETA:

Having gone through SARS, people kind of know the drill.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow.  I would suspect that the other countries that have larger numbers like Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand to follow that soon.   

I am so conflicted on things.  Some people here are not worried, it is just like the flu. THen when you see the people caring for the ill all suited up, it doesn't feel like this isn't something to worry about. 

I've seen a lot of similar comments - but never from anyone in the medical field who has any familiarity with the virus.  I live near US patient zero (who has returned home.), and our area has opened a quarantine area for those merely suspected to have been exposed, about 25 minutes from me.

the flu circulates in some form every year - it's always a version of the same basic viruses.  immunity within a community builds, so even if a person catches it - their immune system has some idea what it needs to do to fight it.  most of those who require hospitalization and/or die - are the immune compromised.   even if the flu shot isn't a perfect match - it does offer some protection.  the last time I was really sick with flu - I'd had the shot.  I also had a very compromised immune system (and was pregnant - which also compromises your immune system.), and I'm convinced that shot kept me out of the hospital. - I had it twice that season - the second time was how I more typically present with flu.

THIS - is a novel virus.  it's never circulated before.  there is no immunity.  Dr. Li, who was one of the eight doctors to warn about this virus last month (all were arrested and punished by the Chinese gov't for fearmongering), just died of it.  he was 34 and had been healthy.   his parents had it and recovered.

• Like 1

I'm wondering what numbers outside of China are going to look like in another two weeks. I'm reading in multiple places that patient conditions worsen at 9-12 days, so we might start seeing more severe infections and deaths. The R0 from Singapore and other places seems to be significantly higher than the current estimate. 

I'm still not worried about it here, but I do think it's worse than the flu. I have multiple medically fragile kids, and we survived our last flu bout with zero hospitalizations. I don't see that happening at all if it had been coronavirus. The dismissive statements are frustrating. Do we have to worry about it here right now? Nope. Are the critical cases and deaths higher within an infected population than the flu? Absolutely. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, alewife said:

I think the quote was from around the 30th before the study was retracted.  Some Chinese health care workers have also reported asymptomatic transmission but the German study was found to be flawed as the woman wasn’t actually asymptomatic.  

6 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Does anyone have a graphic comparing this to the flu?  We are in Georgia and there are healthy young people dying and seriously sick with it.  The more I hear about the flu, the more I’m afraid of it.  But then I come here, and I’m terrified of corona.  

Not a comparison, but here's the CDC preliminary burden flu estimates so far for 2019-2020 (10/1/19 through 2/1/20).

@Pen

Below is why I am doubtful of TaiwanNews extremely high numbers. Test kits are in short supply. 

From UChicago Medicine https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/prevention-and-screening-articles/wuhan-coronavirus

“How do you screen patients to see if they’re infected with the coronavirus?

At UChicago Medicine, our teams are following guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That means we’re asking any patient who has respiratory symptoms and a fever if they’ve traveled to the affected area in the past two weeks or been in close contact with someone with a known or suspected case.

Patients who answer yes will immediately be given a face mask and put in an isolation room, which has negative pressure to keep airborne germs inside. Then, they’ll be tested for the specific virus. Turnaround time on those lab tests is about four days. People will need to remain in isolation until they’re cleared.

We’re also instructing our clinical teams to follow standard infection control protocols. So our doctors, nurses and other clinical staff will wear gear like gowns, gloves, masks and eye shields. That’s what they’d do with anyone who has something like the flu and it’s the same steps we followed during the SARS and MERS outbreaks. We’re also reminding everyone to make sure to wash their hands regularly and avoid touching their faces — that’s good practice any time of the year, but especially during flu season.

Can you get tested for this coronavirus if you're worried you've been exposed? 

Not right now. The test to diagnose this is new and it’s not widely available. Because there aren’t enough tests, only people who are showing symptoms of the disease AND who are high risk for exposure can get tested. But make sure you tell your doctor of any recent travel history so they can make a decision about whether to test you.

It’s also worth mentioning that people shouldn’t be worried if they go to their doctor’s office and get tested for respiratory viruses and the results say they have a coronavirus. That’s because coronavirus is the name for a whole group of viruses, including things like the common cold. Most doctors’ offices can test for normal, everyday coronaviruses. If you see test results that say you have one, you shouldn’t worry. If you are being tested for Wuhan 2019 novel coronavirus, your doctor will be very, very specific and will be sure to walk you through any results that come back.  

Is this new coronavirus virus airborne?

In infection control, we draw a line between things that are transmitted by droplets that can travel in the air briefly in respiratory droplets and things that are actually aerosolized and float around for a while. Think of droplets as small bits of fluid that you can feel and see when someone sneezes. You sneeze or cough and these droplets get on surfaces and then you touch them and get them on your hands, or they can fly right into your mouth or nose or eyes. That’s how most coronaviruses are transmitted and that’s how we think this one is too.  

Aerosols are different. Think of hairspray after you use it in the bathroom. When you go back to the bathroom later, you may still be able to smell it because it’s lingering in the air. Obviously we’re learning a lot about this virus, but most coronaviruses aren’t airborne that way. Generally speaking, there may be times when some of these droplets or particles are airborne, but it’s limited.

Will wearing a facemask keep you safe from the Wuhan coronavirus virus, particularly if you're heading to an airport like O’Hare where passengers are being screened for the virus?

Wearing a facemask is one way to help protect yourself during any kind of respiratory outbreak. It can certainly help keep droplets of other people’s mucous and saliva out of your mouth and nose. However, it’s still really important you clean your hands, avoid touching your face and make sure you swap out your facemask regularly. Otherwise you’ll eventually just get whatever’s on the outside of the facemask on the inside.

Someone on my plane was coughing next to me. Should I worry I have the Chinese coronavirus?

Probably not, but you may have the flu. Thanks to the travel restrictions that are in place, you should assume most people who are coughing on planes right now don’t have this particular coronavirus. In the unlikely chance someone on your flight did have the Wuhan coronavirus, the local health department in your community will find you. If they don’t, then you weren’t exposed.”

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I've seen a lot of similar comments - but never from anyone in the medical field who has any familiarity with the virus.  I live near US patient zero (who has returned home.), and our area has opened a quarantine area for those merely suspected to have been exposed, about 25 minutes from me.

the flu circulates in some form every year - it's always a version of the same basic viruses.  immunity within a community builds, so even if a person catches it - their immune system has some idea what it needs to do to fight it.  most of those who require hospitalization and/or die - are the immune compromised.   even if the flu shot isn't a perfect match - it does offer some protection.  the last time I was really sick with flu - I'd had the shot.  I also had a very compromised immune system (and was pregnant - which also compromises your immune system.), and I'm convinced that shot kept me out of the hospital. - I had it twice that season - the second time was how I more typically present with flu.

THIS - is a novel virus.  it's never circulated before.  there is no immunity.  Dr. Li, who was one of the eight doctors to warn about this virus last month (all were arrested and punished by the Chinese gov't for fearmongering), just died of it.  he was 34 and had been healthy.   his parents had it and recovered.

Agreed.  I am very nervous.  We have one person testing positive in our state and it is in a city we are in everyday.   Still some they are monitoring.   

• Like 1

While statistically the flu is worse, I'm not certain those statistics are accurate.  Note: It's been YEARS since I looked this up so I don't know if it's still true but I know as of when the Swine flu was a thing (was that 2009-2010?) the flu deaths included ALL non-cancer or HIV pneumonia deaths.  So if you had walking pneumonia & it killed you due to immune compromise, they counted it as flu. Any sort of short-term infection that lead to death from pneumonia was counted as a flu death, even if they never did a flu test.  Since the death rates from flu haven't dramatically fallen I suspect they haven't qualified the results with tests since then.

And the thing with people in the medical field...  while in a few months it might be all over, it's not all over here right now.  When you hear about medical professionals who died, what you're not hearing is VIRAL LOAD.  It doesn't matter if it's the flu or coronavirus or norovirus, if you're dealing with a huge outbreak and all or most of your day is taking care of people who are very ill, if you're not in a hazmat suit you're going to get exposed to a HUGE amount of virus. And each one your immune system has to deal with.  And each one will infect you and replicate.  Add in stress, overwhelm, lack of escape, lack of self-care, and just plain grief...  medical professionals often get more sick and for worse than say, if you just touch your face after touching a shopping cart with some virus on it while grabbing groceries.  Or if some other shopper sneezes and you walk into the cloud.  You'll still get sick, but you might have little or minor symptoms in comparison to the doctor who's seen hundreds of patients and gotten viruses from all of them.

• Like 1

I don't know whether it is a bioweapon or not, but in a pandemic situation it's much more lethal than the current numbers suggest.  Even if you take China's reporting numbers as accurate (which they 100% are not, obviously), you're looking at 20-30% of infections that require serious hospital support, of which 3% or so die with that support.  In a situation where you can't put 20% of the infected population in the ICU, the lethality rate is much higher.  

Obviously infection rates are much higher than currently recorded, but deaths are also presumably much higher (given that crematoriums in Wuhan are going full-out and that no one who dies of pneumonia but hasn't been tested for the virus is recorded as dead because of it).  So it is hard to say what the mortality rate is, at all.

My dad, incidentally, died of the flu (a flu I think I probably gave him), but it was not recorded as such.  He had COPD and developed pneumonia; he'd smoked 2 packs a day since he was a teenager.  It was recorded as complications of COPD.  That's not wrong, but it doesn't tell the whole story of course.

Listening to the US gov't briefing today, I just have to say how amazing I find the state of medical knowledge and technology.  This thing showed up new about a month and a half ago, and wasn't on anyone's serious radar until a month ago, and they're already well into the process of developing a vaccine, with a target of human trials in 3 months or so.  That's amazing to me.

• Sad 6

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

From abc7news https://abc7news.com/5910452/

“BAYONNE, New Jersey -- Officials have provided an update after a Royal Caribbean cruise ship with a number of passengers who were quarantined due to concern over possible coronavirus infection docked in Bayonne, New Jersey Friday morning.

WABC-TV reports four people who were aboard the Anthem of the Seas are now being evaluated for possible infection at University Hospital in Newark, NJ.

Another 23 passengers who showed some concerning symptoms have been cleared and are on their way.

The rest of the passengers from the ship continue to disembark, and they are all being screened as a precaution.

The Anthem of the Seas arrived in Bayonne from the Bahamas at 6 a.m. Friday.

Several ambulances were seen pulling up along the dock. Officials from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) were on hand to greet the arriving ship.

The quarantined passengers, all Chinese nationals, started exhibiting symptoms aboard the ship.
A federal official told WABC-TV there was no indication any of the passengers actually have coronavirus, and that the quarantine steps were taken out of an abundance of caution.”

It’s interesting they are being allowed to disembark while the Japanese and Hong Kong ships are being quarantined.  

edited to add this from one of the passengers on Twitter.  Checked their profile and they have been posting cruise pics since 29th of Jan so seems legit.

“Why was no one asked to at least hand-sanitize when leaving the #AnthemoftheSeas cruise ship this morning? My mom and I are very sick in New York. 😞 Have requested #Coronavirus testing but can’t get it!”

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 1

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/wuhan-virus-coronavirus-study-infected-hospital-staff-12408142

“WASHINGTON: Forty health care workers were infected with the novel coronavirus by patients at a single Wuhan hospital in January, a new study has found, underscoring the risks to those at the frontlines of the growing epidemic.

One patient who was admitted to the surgical department was presumed to have infected 10 health care workers, according to the paper that was authored by doctors at the Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University and published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) on Friday (Feb 7).

Seventeen patients who were hospitalised for other reasons also became infected by the coronavirus. A total of 138 patients got the virus in a period spanning Jan 1 to Jan 28, with hospital-associated transmission accounting for 41 per cent of all cases.

The study comes just hours after a Chinese doctor who was punished for raising the alarm about the coronavirus died from the pathogen - sparking an outpouring of grief and anger over a worsening crisis that has now killed more than 630 people.

Li Wenliang, 34, sent out a message about the new coronavirus to colleagues on December 30 in Wuhan but was later among a group of people summoned by police for "rumor-mongering."

He later contracted the disease while treating a patient.

Of the 40 infected health care workers in the JAMA study, 31 worked on general wards, seven in the emergency department, and two in the ICU.

The example of the patient presumed to have infected 10 health workers highlighted the high level of danger within hospitals during the first phase of the epidemic, even though overall it is currently estimated that each patient infects on average 2.2 others.

"If true, then this confirms that some patients are likely to be far more infectious than others, and this poses further difficulties in managing their cases," said Michael Head, a global health expert at the University of Southampton said in a comment to the UK's Science Media Centre.

Medical staff at the epicenter of the virus are overstretched and lack sufficient protective gear, the deputy governor of Hubei province admitted Thursday.”

• Sad 4

21 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

34,377 and 719 deaths

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/wuhan-virus-death-toll-china-feb-8-12407618

“BEIJING: The number of deaths from China's new coronavirus epidemic jumped to 717 on Saturday (Feb 8), surpassing the toll from the SARS outbreak on the mainland and Hong Kong almost two decades ago.

Another 81 people died from the virus in central Hubei province, where the disease emerged in December, according to the regional health commission.

The toll is now higher than that of the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) virus in mainland China and Hong Kong, where nearly 650 people died in 2002-2003.

However, the global toll for SARS, a disease in the same family as the new coronavirus, remains higher at more than 770 deaths.”

• Sad 4

At least one of every two instances of human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus is believed to occur while the first patient is not yet showing symptoms, according to an estimate by a group of Japanese university researchers.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/02/255501851d48-half-of-secondary-virus-infections-occur-in-incubation-period-study.html

• Sad 4