Menu

13 minutes ago, Pen said:

Could he possibly fly out of Kennedy? It seems unlikely that Kennedy airport would close down next week. 

Maybe the Boston airport rumor isn’t true?  Any way to get more info on that?

Are there other NZ students at MIT , Harvard etc also seeking to get home to help figure it out with? Or an MIT office to help?

There are apparently 2 cases found on campus this morning.

I've contacted the other NZ/Aus parents.  They didn't know as it just came out. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 18.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• square_25

• Arcadia

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DS got home 3 hours ago!  ❤️❤️

That's not a blanket right.  If my religion required human sacrifice, I can't practice it.  If my religion required sexual assault, I can't practice it. Freedom of religion isn't a blanket right

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

I think it's worth looking at what is making isolation possible for people (like me) who are only a little sick, without which it becomes much more challenging:

• Working utilities (and in fact mild weather also helps) - electricity so we can keep food cold, cook, and run heat/air conditioning if needed, access the internet (making it possible for DH to work from home & for us to keep up with local information), running water to keep things clean - and the appliances to go with them.
  • Financial means to have bought some food and other necessities ahead; DH's job being possible to do remotely vs. hands-on.
  • Services so far uninterrupted: trash pickup; Instacart and local produce box for groceries if you can pay the extra fees; postal and other delivery service.
  • No concerns about education/child care, as our missed events are not urgently important and in fact I already have the standardized test in the house to administer and mail back, completing our legal requirement.
  • No ongoing medical treatments like dialysis. Savings that would allow us to pay for medical care if incurred, although it could eat our retirement.

I'm wondering, for what percentage of the population are the stars aligned so helpfully? I would think few. And even for us, there may be a point when it becomes very difficult.

(ETA: That said, I would like to get better ASAP, and certainly not worse. I'm still online at this hour because I can't breathe well through my nose & I know I won't fall asleep soon. Prayers appreciated if you're so inclined.)

Sending prayers

• Thanks 1

In re clamoring for change :

OSAA said they were about to halt a lot:

“MEDIA RELEASE
OSAA CANCELS REMAINING WINTER STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
March 12, 2020 – (Wilsonville, OR)
The Oregon School Activities Association (OSAA) has cancelled all remaining Winter State Championships. This includes the remaining Basketball (effective immediately) and Dance/Drill State Championships.
“As this unprecedented public health emergency continues to evolve, we believe that the responsibility to our member schools and communities regarding the health and safety of participants remains our highest priority,” said Peter Weber, OSAA Executive Director.
This news comes after the Pac‐12, along with other major collegiate conferences and the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), canceled their men’s basketball tournament and all other sporting events until further notice due to COVID‐19.
The OSAA will continue to collaborate with Oregon’s public health authorities, including guidance from the Governor, OHA, and ODE in order to help slow the transmission of the coronavirus.
We are working with our ticketing partners to ensure those who purchased tickets for future sessions are reimbursed.
The OSAA will have updates soon about Spring activities and contests that are scheduled to begin next week”

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

I think it's worth looking at what is making isolation possible for people (like me) who are only a little sick, without which it becomes much more challenging

Get well soon 🍀

Some neighbors are clamoring for schools to close. A board member replied

“There are several Title 1 schools in the district where many students depend on receiving free breakfast and lunch.  In many cases, they are the only meals the students get each day.  There is much more to consider.  Impacts to parents that need to work and may not have back-up daycare, etc.”

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Man learns he tested positive for COVID-19 mid-flight from NY to Palm Beach, FL

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/us/coronavirus-jetblue-new-york-florida.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes

What the what??!!  Why did he even get on a flight knowing he was being tested.?   This boggles my mind.  

Me too.  It’s not like it’s easy to get tested without there being a significant suspicion of having it. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pen said:

Odd to me that 3 Aussie offered testing refused. While otoh many people who want to be tested aren’t allowed to be.  .

I wonder if they didn't want to pay for it or the other costs potentially related to it. 

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Only 8 new cases in Mainland China today 

They cover up. One person who reported a new case got fired. If you report new cases, you lose your job. That shuts people up. 

60% of the deaths happened in their own homes before being tested and they are not included in the Wuhan virus caused death number. 

Edited by JadeOrchidSong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

@gardenmom5 @prairiewindmomma @square_25 and others who may be interested

In re communication with government entities —

After seeing current update on Oregon sports and activities, I wrote to them pretty much as follows with personal info removed—I didn’t take time to carefully draft a super letter, I thought getting it to them quickly was more important. 

I am writing to urge you to suspend all spring OSAA events.  

OSAA activities rapidly take kids from their own communities far and wide across state, which is great when there is no pandemic to see different places from the ocean in the west to the Cascade mountains to deserts on the other side. 

But during a pandemic it will add to moving virus around quickly. And even if the kids might not tend to get bad cases, adults they meet, live with, are coached by, or learn from very well may get serious or critical illnesses. 

Slowing down the speed of transmission, “flattening the curve” is very important. 

Thank you for consideration and for all your hard work to make activities possible for our kids.  However, Spring 2020, I think needs to be a time for proactively cancelling the programs. 

Thank you again,

Name 

School district name, parent and area resident

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Man learns he tested positive for COVID-19 mid-flight from NY to Palm Beach, FL

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/us/coronavirus-jetblue-new-york-florida.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes

What the what??!!  Why did he even get on a flight knowing he was being tested.?   This boggles my mind.  

Because people are selfish and obstinate. Because they are in denial and think everything is fine and this is all a lot of hysteria, and if they just keep acting like nothing is wrong then that will make it magically true. 

4H cancelled a few livestock shows around here, so what are people doing? Are they staying home and saying "Well, that's unfortunate. Better safe than sorry"? NO.  They are organizing their own livestock shows to run independently this weekend and next. Everyone has a "You can't tell us what to do!" attitude around here. 

School? Not cancelled. Libary? Open and has several large events planned!  Homeschool co-ops? Hosting large open house events! What could go wrong!

• Sad 6
8 minutes ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

They cover up. One person who reported a new case got fired. If you report new cases, you lose your job. That shuts people up. 

60% of the deaths happened in their own homes before being tested and they are not included in the Wuhan virus caused death number. 

I think there’s some level of that.  The. Bbc and abc journalist I follow say they don’t think specific numbers are accurate but general trends are because hospitals are emptying out and being close down

17+ hour day, so I am headed to bed in a minute, but just an update to say that, in good news, I passed my lab test to allow me to head to our next round of clinicals, but, unfortunately, our sponsor hospital's legal department finally wisened up to the fact that having students around during a pandemic is probably a major liability risk (duh!), so they have decided to kick out all students for now. So, IMO, it is doubtful that I will actually start my clinical rotations as planned in 11 days. The school is consulting with the CA Board of Nursing to figure out how to proceed since we are obviously not the only nursing school affected. (I read about this happening at some other schools in the last day or so, and figured it was likely for us as well for liability reasons.)  But seriously, you know things are bad when you're not worried about students getting HIV, Tuberculosis, and Meningitis exposure, but you send them packing for this, especially when you could probably really use the extra help. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7
1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

@Arcadia Sprouts? seems to have a lot of food left! (I have been looking at pictures of empty TJ's shelves from the east coast and panicked and had a moment when I wanted to rush to the 24 hour safeway to stock up more food and then remembered that I have plenty already 😉

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think there’s some level of that.  The. Bbc and abc journalist I follow say they don’t think specific numbers are accurate but general trends are because hospitals are emptying out and being close down

Some went home. Some died and cremated. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
4 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

@Arcadia Sprouts? seems to have a lot of food left! (I have been looking at pictures of empty TJ's shelves from the east coast and panicked and had a moment when I wanted to rush to the 24 hour safeway to stock up more food and then remembered that I have plenty already 😉

Safeway 🙂 

Local produces come from Brentwood, Watsonville, Hollister, Gilroy, Monterey ... so I’m not too worried. Mushrooms were mostly sold out though which was unusual.

• Thanks 1

Seattle is closing all libraries, community centers, parks programs, pools tomorrow until at least April 13.  Sno-Isle library system (Snohomish & Island counties) is closing tomorrow also.

Edited by TrixieB
  • Like 4

So, the rumors are that all of Boston will be in lockdown by Monday.  All students at MIT are trying to at least get out of the city, even if they can't get to their final destination for a couple of days. MIT is now giving each student $500 to get out, and will take care of storage so just leave your boxes in your room.  There is a LOT of stress on the campus.  Harvard had already said Sunday as move out date, so it is only MIT that is scrambling as they initially said Tuesday. The NZ/Australia contingent is sorted, most exiting tomorrow and 1 kid on Sunday midday.

When ds gets home, we will put him in self-isolation for 2 weeks. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 12
14 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Nm. This was answered when I tried posting.

@Arcadia it looks like my local Albertson’s- I forget they’re Safeway’s up there.

Edited by Elfknitter.#
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

The UK decisions are a bit different than some other countries

UK government's coronavirus advice – and why it gave it

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/uk-governments-coronavirus-advice-and-why-it-gave-it?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Hmmmmm. I'm very curious how this is going to work for them. It sounds like they are doing very minimal amounts. What exactly is the plan here? 

7 minutes ago, lewelma said:

So, the rumors are that all of Boston will be in lockdown by Monday.  All students at MIT are trying to at least get out of the city, even if they can't get to their final destination for a couple of days. MIT is now giving each student $500 to get out, and will take care of storage so just leave your boxes in your room.  There is a LOT of stress on the campus.  Harvard had already said Sunday as move out date, so it is only MIT that is scrambling as they initially said Tuesday. The NZ/Australia contingent is sorted, most exiting tomorrow and 1 kid on Sunday midday.

When ds gets home, we will put him in self-isolation for 2 weeks. 

I have only been reading sporadic pages of this thread, so I missed that your son was being evicted.  I am so sorry.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Safeway 🙂 

Local produces come from Brentwood, Watsonville, Hollister, Gilroy, Monterey ... so I’m not too worried. Mushrooms were mostly sold out though which was unusual.

Thanks, it almost looks like we are living in normal times from your picture.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, TrixieB said:

Seattle is closing all libraries, community centers, parks programs, pools tomorrow until at least April 13.  Sno-Isle library system (Snohomish & Island counties) is closing tomorrow also.

KCLS (for those not from here, it's one of the largest library systems in the country). is canceling all programs, events, and meeting room bookings through April 15.

it sounds like at least some individual libraries will still be open, some adjusted hours.

• Like 1

I think the shortages are really uneven. A friend snapped photos of the one and only Costco in DC. Lots of things totally cleaned out. She said rice, beans, and pasta were basically all gone. Another friend took a photo of the empty Trader Joe's that's closest to us and it was surreal. There were just like half a dozen boxes of frozen gluten free mac and cheese (good call on leaving those, panic buyers). Meanwhile, both the Target and the Giant within walking distance of my house still had things like bleach, tp, rice, beans, etc. all in stock as of midday. Now, they might have been gone by the end of the day. Rice, pasta, and bleach were all looking thin at my Giant when I grabbed a bit more stuff in a final trip. But mostly they looked normal. I'm not too worried about supplies overall. At least, not yet.

I’m not sure if it was posted or not but we have 10 new cases in Michigan, including my county. The governor ordered K-12 schools closed for three weeks beginning Monday. 

• Sad 3
42 minutes ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

Some went home. Some died and cremated. 

Yes.  But in terms of new cases coming in there must be less than before because they are closing the temporary hospitals.  The bbc guy reckoned stuff could be happening in the provinces but unlikely to be widespread in Beijing or Shanghai at this point or the gov wouldn’t have the ability to prevent it from getting out.  That makes sense to me.  Doesn’t mean those numbers are accurate but when the entire country stays home for a month it seems like there would have to be a reduction.  I think there’s pretty good reason to be suspicious of the numbers from Iran and Egypt.  And of course US haven’t been testing.

• Like 1

I didn't see it shared, but WaPo has a story about mass graves spotted via satellite in Iran that is downright chilling. They had evidence of a lot of burials for numbers far beyond the official death count. 

• Sad 11

Australia just announced a ban of any Unnecessary organised gatherings over 500.  No word on school closures except with diagnosed cases at this point.  Apparently we are running out of the testing reagent so testing is going to be limited to overseas travel and known case connections till that’s sorted.  

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

I didn't see it shared, but WaPo has a story about mass graves spotted via satellite in Iran that is downright chilling. They had evidence of a lot of burials for numbers far beyond the official death count. 

There is a million reasons to think their numbers are really wrong.  Literally everyone except the offical gov are saying they are much higher.  And yes that and other footage. 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, StellaM said:

Royal Easter Show cancelled - it's a big agricultural fun fair in the middle of Sydney - close to a million visitors over the week or so it runs.

Sydney Writer's Festival have stopped advertising and selling tickets, and may cancel.

Cricket one day internationals (mens) to be played in empty stadiums. 

PM still going to the footy on Sunday (definintely more than 500, non-essential!) 'because the ban doesn't come in till Monday'. Gah.

Fringe is going ahead this weekend as per usual as well.

• Confused 1

DH and I just got back from our 24 hour Walmart.  We left the house at 12:15 am and got back around 1:30.  DH was shocked by the empty shelves as he hasn’t gone to the store since 2 weekends ago when we stocked up at Costco.  The fam doesn’t think I’m so crazy anymore 😁. Anyway, lots of empty shleves.  We didn’t need much, but wanted to get a last run for fresh fruit and veggies and milk/coffee creamer.  Wasn’t able to get flour or my laundry detergent.  We don't usually buy fresh meat there, but they didn’t have much left anyway.  No TP.   Had plenty of dairy items.

What I didn't like was they had 3 casheirs open with lines in each.  None of their self checkouts were open, which is what we wanted to use.

Will probably be using Instacart for awhile now with drop at the door delivery.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, calbear said:

With all the school closures, there are a lot of moms coming out of the woodwork asking for tips and tricks from homeschoolers.

Around here, they seem to want to know how they are going to get their kids together to play while school is out 🙄.

• Confused 3
53 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I suppose it's hard to cancel with no notice, but really, why would it be OK today but not Monday?

Because they know it’s going to escalate.  They know you “can’t” cancel things forever or people go stir crazy.  So you have to time measures for the critical point.

Im still curious to know what would happen if we really kicked it up a notch much earlier.  But unfortunately I think the economy still takes precedence over human life.

• Like 1

They actually said on the sa interview that “we find when we close schools they actually mingle more than at school” - remembering this for the next time someone asks me about homeschooling and socialisation 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Australian home affairs minister Peter Dutton tested positive 

Edited to add he had recently returned from the US where he met Trump administration officials re data encryption laws 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, square_25 said:

Hmmmmm. I'm very curious how this is going to work for them. It sounds like they are doing very minimal amounts. What exactly is the plan here? 

I'm interested in the decision not to close schools because in practical terms it's worse to send children home to be looked after by grandparents. The government's advice for schools is actually very detailed

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19

3 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm interested in the decision not to close schools because in practical terms it's worse to send children home to be looked after by grandparents. The government's advice for schools is actually very detailed

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19

Same line from our SA Health minister but I thought it was actually code for - if we close schools when there’s only 12 cases in the state there will be outrage.  We need a more significant threat before we take that step.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Same line from our SA Health minister but I thought it was actually code for - if we close schools when there’s only 12 cases in the state there will be outrage.  We need a more significant threat before we take that step.  

I'm hoping that it's a data led decision. It feels right emotionally to close schools, but will it actually help?

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm hoping that it's a data led decision. It feels right emotionally to close schools, but will it actually help?

I suspect it will slow down transmission.  My kids got a lot more sickness when their friends started going to school.  I have a friend with a kid with autism who touches everything.  He tends to stay well in the holidays but get sick during the term.  When we did tae Kwon do in a school they kept picking stuff up. 

I think it relates to the number of adults monitoring germ spreading behaviours, the number of hours spent in doors and the amount of time cleaners actually get for cleaning.  I do think it’s too soon here, though.

theres also a difference between a situation like Italy where school is cancelled and everyone is staying home and one where school is cancelled but kids are still out hanging out together at gyms, pools and other germ spreading places. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, lewelma said:

MIT has just moved up the time line.  Everyone to be out by Sunday.  Rumor is the Boston airport is closing on Monday. 

Now it is time for me to panic! 

Is the airport closing international flights or all flights?

5 minutes ago, hshibley said:

Is the airport closing international flights or all flights?

The rumor is that Boston will be quarantined as a city on Monday, which includes closing down the airport to ALL travel.  The MIT students are assuming the rumor is true and are all getting out of Boston ASAP -- most are not waiting for Sunday and have tried to get out Friday.  We are waking up at 4am to make sure ds is up so he can catch his flight.  We moved his flight forward 3 days about 5 hours ago, he has packed his room in the past 3 hours, and is ready for bed.  There are parents still on the phone with the airlines trying to change the flights.  Desperate times. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 7
  • Sad 3

I was thinking about this very issue as I was considering what to write to my state Governor

theres also a difference between a situation like Italy where school is cancelled and everyone is staying home and one where school is cancelled but kids are still out hanging out together at gyms, pools and other germ spreading places. 

I think it would help to make it in conjunction with a groups down to 50

and now that our state has closed schools , also that’s a reason for online school or some form of school at home to be supposed to happen instead of being at school 

sigh

school closed news news woke me up and now I can’t get back to sleep 😴