Jump to content

Menu

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I suppose it's hard to cancel with no notice, but really, why would it be OK today but not Monday?

 

Because they know it’s going to escalate.  They know you “can’t” cancel things forever or people go stir crazy.  So you have to time measures for the critical point.

Im still curious to know what would happen if we really kicked it up a notch much earlier.  But unfortunately I think the economy still takes precedence over human life.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Ausmumof3

    3241

  • Pen

    2468

  • Arcadia

    1337

  • prairiewindmomma

    305

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DS got home 3 hours ago!  ❤️❤️

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

That's not a blanket right.  If my religion required human sacrifice, I can't practice it.  If my religion required sexual assault, I can't practice it. Freedom of religion isn't a blanket right

Posted Images

They actually said on the sa interview that “we find when we close schools they actually mingle more than at school” - remembering this for the next time someone asks me about homeschooling and socialisation 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Australian home affairs minister Peter Dutton tested positive 

Edited to add he had recently returned from the US where he met Trump administration officials re data encryption laws 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, square_25 said:

Hmmmmm. I'm very curious how this is going to work for them. It sounds like they are doing very minimal amounts. What exactly is the plan here? 

I'm interested in the decision not to close schools because in practical terms it's worse to send children home to be looked after by grandparents. The government's advice for schools is actually very detailed

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm interested in the decision not to close schools because in practical terms it's worse to send children home to be looked after by grandparents. The government's advice for schools is actually very detailed

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19

Same line from our SA Health minister but I thought it was actually code for - if we close schools when there’s only 12 cases in the state there will be outrage.  We need a more significant threat before we take that step.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Same line from our SA Health minister but I thought it was actually code for - if we close schools when there’s only 12 cases in the state there will be outrage.  We need a more significant threat before we take that step.  

I'm hoping that it's a data led decision. It feels right emotionally to close schools, but will it actually help?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm hoping that it's a data led decision. It feels right emotionally to close schools, but will it actually help?

I suspect it will slow down transmission.  My kids got a lot more sickness when their friends started going to school.  I have a friend with a kid with autism who touches everything.  He tends to stay well in the holidays but get sick during the term.  When we did tae Kwon do in a school they kept picking stuff up. 
 

I think it relates to the number of adults monitoring germ spreading behaviours, the number of hours spent in doors and the amount of time cleaners actually get for cleaning.  I do think it’s too soon here, though.

theres also a difference between a situation like Italy where school is cancelled and everyone is staying home and one where school is cancelled but kids are still out hanging out together at gyms, pools and other germ spreading places. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lewelma said:

MIT has just moved up the time line.  Everyone to be out by Sunday.  Rumor is the Boston airport is closing on Monday. 

Now it is time for me to panic! 

Is the airport closing international flights or all flights?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hshibley said:

Is the airport closing international flights or all flights?

The rumor is that Boston will be quarantined as a city on Monday, which includes closing down the airport to ALL travel.  The MIT students are assuming the rumor is true and are all getting out of Boston ASAP -- most are not waiting for Sunday and have tried to get out Friday.  We are waking up at 4am to make sure ds is up so he can catch his flight.  We moved his flight forward 3 days about 5 hours ago, he has packed his room in the past 3 hours, and is ready for bed.  There are parents still on the phone with the airlines trying to change the flights.  Desperate times. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 7
  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I was thinking about this very issue as I was considering what to write to my state Governor

Quote

theres also a difference between a situation like Italy where school is cancelled and everyone is staying home and one where school is cancelled but kids are still out hanging out together at gyms, pools and other germ spreading places. 

 

I think it would help to make it in conjunction with a groups down to 50

 

...

and now that our state has closed schools , also that’s a reason for online school or some form of school at home to be supposed to happen instead of being at school 

 

sigh

school closed news news woke me up and now I can’t get back to sleep 😴 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, lewelma said:

The rumor is that Boston will be quarantined as a city on Monday, which includes closing down the airport to ALL travel.  The MIT students are assuming the rumor is true and are all getting out of Boston ASAP -- most are not waiting for Sunday and have tried to get out Friday.  We are waking up at 4am to make sure ds is up so he can catch his flight.  We moved his flight forward 3 days about 5 hours ago, he has packed his room in the past 3 hours, and is ready for bed.  There are parents still on the phone with the airlines trying to change the flights.  Desperate times. 

 

Snd just a few months ago he was learning how to recognize American money.

Now he’s dealing with being caught abroad in worst pandemic in 100 years. 

 

Guess maybe we understand more about fleeing areas prior to wuarantines and it makes more sense why...

just hope not too much transmission will occur far and wide

Edited by Pen
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm hoping that it's a data led decision. It feels right emotionally to close schools, but will it actually help?

Our state, which has closed schools in 3 counties for six weeks were having significant issues with staffing. Lots of staff out sick. Lots  of substitutes sick and unavailable. High rates of student absences as well. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Pen said:

And just a few months ago he was learning how to recognize American money.

Yup.  Holding a bunch of coins, asking 'what is a nickel?  Why don't they put the actual number of cents on the coin?  Why is a dime smaller than a nickel?"

Quote

just hope not too much transmission will occur far and wide

 

Huge thread on the parents facebook page about quarantine of the students running from Boston.  We are being very careful.  I will NOT host the patient zero for Wellington out of my home!

Also, still no confirmed cases at MIT. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wynn casino is using thermal settings on their security cameras to identify anyone with a fever. 

203E4F4F-F190-480B-828C-261921387A3C.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, StellaM said:

 

It will help me not get sick! Sadly, data points of one don't matter in a crisis, which makes sense, but also is really scary when you're the data point.

Absolutely.  I'm glad I'm not the person trying to make policy to balance the general good against the particular need.  The other concern, apparently, is just how long you can lock a democratic country down for before fatigue sets in and people start to disobey even the most basic instructions.  I don't know enough behavioural science to understand the ins and outs of that.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m nervous to go check out the grocery store today, but it felt too soon earlier in the week to get corned beef and cabbage! (It’s hard to store 2 cabbages in a tiny kitchen, lol.). So far, I haven’t seen major shortages in person anywhere except for the near-universal stuff (but plenty of tp), but I don’t know what it’s like today.

Dh has to go out of state for the day, and neither of us is comfortable with it. He won’t have many contacts and will have plenty of disinfectant stuffs, but everything is moving so fast. The majority owners of his company have gotten very worried about all of this, so I shouldn’t have to worry about him needing to go anywhere else for a while.

7 more days till court. Adjustments are being made at the state level, which makes me nervous about county level over the next week.

Dd’s spring break from cc is extended another week. I hope they go online because she’s doing so well.  Other dd’s EMT class as been told they’ll be informed of any changes It’s a tiny class in a non-public building, so it’s low risk in that way, but low risk is still risk.  She’s also doing extremely well, but practicals can’t be done online!

Our Broadway tickets are insured, so at least there’s that.

Our co-op is closed. Dd’s graduation is supposed to be in 2 months.

Took the kids for a hike yesterday. Didn’t really want to, but I knew I needed it, and it did me good. We’re in an area where there’s *plenty* of good, deserted hiking, so I hope we can hang on to that.

Local school district still saying nothing about their capabilities if they close. They have stopped allowing other organizations to use the buildings after school.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Meant to add, I had to push really hard to try to convince my mother to place a grocery pick up order today instead of browsing through multiple stores like she planned. I don’t know if it worked, but she sounded like she was at least considering it. @@

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, StellaM said:

 

I am so worried about hospital overwhelm.

I seriously feel like the kids' dad should update his will. If he gets sick (likely), severely (likely),especially during the peak, he is not going to make it to the head of the queue for treatment. They'll take one look at 'advanced kidney disease' and send him home in favour of treating someone more likely to respond. 

If I'm nursing him, I don't like my chances. I feel like I should talk to dd's about what would happen in the worst case scenario and one of them had to take ds in. 

Is that just too catastrophic? Or should I listen to my gut and just do it?

Ugh. My doctor's appt can't come soon enough. I really need his advice.

I would probably try to come up with a realistic strategy for what would happen and address it with her as “this is unlikely to happen but if it does here’s what you need to know”.  If she’s in nursing or care she probably knows the reality of the potential worst case scenarios which probably won’t happen.  She will probably feel calmer knowing you’ve thought about it and there’s a plan in place.  
big proviso is you obviously known your own kid better than me so listen to your gut over any advice from here

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StellaM said:

 

And I'll leave you to imagine my comment re my wishes for Dutton.

Yes.  Quite a few people seemed to think he should be doing quarantine on Christmas Island 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Meant to add, I had to push really hard to try to convince my mother to place a grocery pick up order today instead of browsing through multiple stores like she planned. I don’t know if it worked, but she sounded like she was at least considering it. @@

My one hesitation with switching online at this stage for myself is that I’m concerned if stores start running low they wont substitute with a similar item.  Like if I can’t get weet bix I’m going to buy some oats at least whereas they will probably just send nothing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think instacart is overwhelmed.  I placed an order on Monday and I got two items I didn't order and some item substitutions I didn't want.  The shopper did not text me as the other shoppers did before buying.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

My one hesitation with switching online at this stage for myself is that I’m concerned if stores start running low they wont substitute with a similar item.  Like if I can’t get weet bix I’m going to buy some oats at least whereas they will probably just send nothing.

Just was posting as you were writing about my experience this Monday.  It was the only bad experience I have had.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

My one hesitation with switching online at this stage for myself is that I’m concerned if stores start running low they wont substitute with a similar item.  Like if I can’t get weet bix I’m going to buy some oats at least whereas they will probably just send nothing.

I have no idea how things work where she lives or what the state of the stores are there. My WM pick up is always good about bringing subs out with my order, though they definitely don’t always get what I would pick.  My regular grocery store allows us to put in detailed notes on our order, and then they call us personally to see if we’re okay with each potential sub.  Of course, if they’re too overwhelmed, that could become an issue.
But still better than my almost 67yo mother meandering through half a dozen crowded places. 🤢 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StellaM said:

 

It's the kind of convo you want to have in person, but I don't want to get the train up there. I've already told dd2 that we won't be able to visit Melbourne at Easter as planned.

Yes, I think approaching it that way is best.

As the unlikely but possible scenario, with the contingency plans thought through and agreed upon ahead so that doesn't become her burden to do so. 

 

 

Ahh yes I understand.  I forgot she wasn’t at home.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StellaM said:

 

I am so worried about hospital overwhelm.

I seriously feel like the kids' dad should update his will. If he gets sick (likely), severely (likely),especially during the peak, he is not going to make it to the head of the queue for treatment. They'll take one look at 'advanced kidney disease' and send him home in favour of treating someone more likely to respond. 

If I'm nursing him, I don't like my chances. I feel like I should talk to dd's about what would happen in the worst case scenario and one of them had to take ds in. 

Is that just too catastrophic? Or should I listen to my gut and just do it?

Ugh. My doctor's appt can't come soon enough. I really need his advice.

It was a total coincidence (I think?), but a few weeks ago DH and I started doing the paperwork on all our retirement accounts to add the boys on as secondary co- beneficiaries. We're still the primary beneficiary on each other's accounts, of course, but we added the boys as secondary co-beneficiaries. Now I'm wondering if it was an omen. But our situation is of course different from yours. Both of ours are young adults. DS21 is on the spectrum but is very able to care for himself, manage money, etc. He just needs nudges now and then when he gets frozen with decision making.

 

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

I think instacart is overwhelmed.  I placed an order on Monday and I got two items I didn't order and some item substitutions I didn't want.  The shopper did not text me as the other shoppers did before buying.  

I've been kind of stunned that so many people seem to have assumed that grocery delivery would remain available to them. I doubt the ability/willingness of employees to deliver as much as I doubt supply chains.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

It was a total coincidence (I think?), but a few weeks ago DH and I started doing the paperwork on all our retirement accounts to add the boys on as secondary co- beneficiaries. We're still the primary beneficiary on each other's accounts, of course, but we added the boys as secondary co-beneficiaries. Now I'm wondering if it was an omen. But our situation is of course different from yours. Both of ours are young adults. DS21 is on the spectrum but is very able to care for himself, manage money, etc. He just needs nudges now and then when he gets frozen with decision making.

 

I've been kind of stunned that so many people seem to have assumed that grocery delivery would remain available to them. I doubt the ability/willingness of employees to deliver as much as I doubt supply chains.

This was a big part of the response in China. But I guess it can be delivery without contact.  Just place the boxes and keep driving.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pen said:

My son let me know that Oregon Governor Kate Brown has ordered Oregon schools closed for next (?) 2 weeks. 

Starting Monday.

Not tomorrow.

 

@prairiewindmomma, @Ali in OR At other Oregonians 

 

https://www.opb.org/news/article/kate-brown-orders-oregon-schools-to-close-coronavirus/

“Gov. Kate Brown has announced that all K-12 public schools in the state of Oregon will be closed Monday through the end of March.

The school closure announcement comes on the heels of Brown’s decision to ban public gatherings of more than 250 people for four weeks.

Brown said she heard from superintendents, teachers, parents and school board members who said they were struggling to operate in the wake of staff shortages and student absences. The governor said a lot of concern was also voiced for teachers over the age of 60 with underlying medical issues.

“I want to be very clear: sending Oregon children home will not stop the spread of the coronavirus,” Brown said in a statement. “While children are home, when at all possible, they should not be in the care of older adults or those with underlying health issues that are most at-risk from COVID-19.”

During the closure, Brown is calling on school districts to develop plans to operate schools when students return on Wednesday, April 1. School districts should also use the time to ensure they have adequate cleaning supplies for increased cleaning protocols, the governor’s release stated.

The state will track the impact the closures could have on instructional time. And the Early Learning Division will work to identify ways to support child care needs for the state’s most vulnerable families, as well as health care professionals and first responders, the governor stated.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This was a big part of the response in China. But I guess it can be delivery without contact.  Just place the boxes and keep driving.

Sure. But I'm guessing the delivery people in China had no real choice in whether or not they continued to work. Not so here.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Well, there isn’t that much data, but I thought that the places that closed everything were doing better than the ones that didn’t.

I am also not seeing any consistency here. They trust people to stay home if sick, but not to keep their kids home? Why would the kids play together more when there’s a lockdown if instructed not to? 

The bit about large gatherings didn’t really make sense, either. I thought the issue with large gatherings is that one person could quickly infect many others. It’s true that small gatherings also allow people to infect others, but slower.

And they won’t test much now, so people won’t know if it’s actually essential to self-isolate.

Anyway, color me skeptical. But I’m interested to see what happens.

I think personally they are going to go for firmer measures but they need to break it gradually to give people to process it.

Lots of criticism from this guy 

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/coronavirus-expert-bowtell-slams-governments-plan-to-stop-mass-gatherings/289613bf-0a4f-434a-9f78-dae647c03c06

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of limits on how many groceries you can buy now.  2 packs of pasta, paper towels, flour, rice and hand sanitiser.  1 for toilet paper.  
I can see this being really difficult for people with big families.  May mean more trips to the store which is kind of counter productive 

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We've already talked a bit about how many people are still in denial. I think all the sports closing and school closings will help to serve as a wake-up call to many people.

 

I don't think this has been shared yet:

Ohio health official estimates 100,000 people in state have coronavirus

Quote

A top health official in Ohio estimated on Thursday that more than 100,000 people in the state have coronavirus, a shockingly high number that underscores the limited testing so far.

Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton said at a press conference alongside Gov. Mike DeWine (R) that given that the virus is spreading in the community in Ohio, she estimates at least 1 percent of the population in the state has the virus.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I know that some companies are asking that of their employees, but I don’t know that it’s a blanket thing (yet). I also dn’t know how “travel domestically” is defined. Dh crosses state lines for work all the time. But he’s only going by private vehicle now.

I'm in the same boat. I drove (12 hours!) from NM to TX for a conference. As soon as I left, the first three cases were found (Tuesday). There are now 6 cases in the state and they've closed all schools for 3 weeks. All the cases are travel-related- Italy and NY.

I checked the travel recommendations from the state just now, and there are 3 categories: 1) international 2) out of state in hot areas (but specifically mention airports), 3) out of state in non-hot areas, and future travel. It was mentioned for category three that since things are changing rapidly, there's a possibility we can't return to NM. They also suggest that coming in from out of state,  we should put ourselves in self-isolation for 14 days. We're talking domestic travel. They are taking it very seriously. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bno:  New coronavirus measures: - Czech Republic closing borders on Monday morning - Madrid decrees the closure of bars, clubs and restaurants - France bans gatherings with more than 100 people

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StellaM said:

 

I am so worried about hospital overwhelm.

I seriously feel like the kids' dad should update his will. If he gets sick (likely), severely (likely),especially during the peak, he is not going to make it to the head of the queue for treatment. They'll take one look at 'advanced kidney disease' and send him home in favour of treating someone more likely to respond. 

If I'm nursing him, I don't like my chances. I feel like I should talk to dd's about what would happen in the worst case scenario and one of them had to take ds in. 

 

I think you should go ahead and talk with your dd

 

Does the kids’ dad live with you? 

If not I think you should help him if needed to figure out how he can prepare—supplies etc, premade stuff that might help if sick...

But that you should not plan to do nursing of him 

 

 

 

3 hours ago, StellaM said:

Is that just too catastrophic? Or should I listen to my gut and just do it?

Ugh. My doctor's appt can't come soon enough. I really need his advice.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

2 covid cases in Austin, TX.

 

I just looked at the main Carolina web page for COVID-19,  On that page, at this moment, they are not showing this, but when I looked a day or 2 ago, along with the States they listed, they showed 2 cities in TX,  Austin and San Antonio, Apparently other large TX cities have much lower risk at this time.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Under harsh criticism, Trump administration announces efforts to speed testing (WaPo)

Quote

The Trump administration announced a series of steps Friday aimed at boosting the availability of coronavirus testing, which has drawn heated criticism from lawmakers of both parties and frustrated Americans who are sick and have been unable to find out whether they are infected.

The Food and Drug Administration has created a 24-hour emergency hotline for laboratories having difficulty getting materials or finding other impediments to running tests, according to announcements early on Friday.

Officials also announced they were giving nearly $1.3 million in federal money to two companies trying to develop rapid covid-19 tests that could determine whether a person tests positive within an hour.

In addition, the Department of Health and Human Services assigned Brett Giroir, the assistant secretary for health, to coordinate all covid-19 testing efforts among federal public health agencies, including the FDA, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, state and local health departments, and public and private clinical laboratories. The FDA also is giving New York state the ability to authorize certain public and private labs to test for the virus under the aegis of the state health department, without first getting federal approval.

Earlier this week, New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D) announced he was moving ahead to contract with 28 private labs in New York. “We’re not in a position where we can rely on the CDC or the FDA to manage this testing protocol,” the governor said.

Cuomo said that he told the private labs they should “get up, get running and start moving forward with testing.”

The state’s Health Department has a preexisting relationship with these labs, which Cuomo says has the experience with virology to get the testing done.

The Trump administration announced these and other testing-related measures a day after a particularly harsh drubbing of federal health officials at a congressional hearing on Capitol Hill. At one House hearing, Antony Fauci, longtime director of the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, acknowledged that the system for testing Americans for coronavirus is “not really geared to what we need right now … That is a failing. Let’s admit it.”

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, lewelma said:

Huge thread on the parents facebook page about quarantine of the students running from Boston.  We are being very careful.  I will NOT host the patient zero for Wellington out of my home!

Also, still no confirmed cases at MIT. 

 

I know you personally and your son will be super careful.

Just in general, I’m thinking of a slew of college kids fleeing Boston for many places, international and domestic — and how kids that age can be rather sophomoric... . And not all will have the seriousness and intelligence of typical MIT kids ... some will be at more “party schools” and perhaps have more wild and reckless approaches 

 

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I've been kind of stunned that so many people seem to have assumed that grocery delivery would remain available to them. I doubt the ability/willingness of employees to deliver as much as I doubt supply chains.

 

I erased the earlier part of your thread, butvwant to say that it’s made me think of financial preparations.

what if I’m not dead, just very sick?

I think I am putting checks for some big expenses like property taxes ready so ds can send them in if I cannot. 

An account with both names so he can get ongoing groceries etc if I cannot...

etc. 

on the gorceries part, I agree with and Ausmumof3 post below that shoppers and deliverers should stay available if possible, but starting immediately the transfer from shopper to buyer should be done with maximum possible social distancing

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

 

https://www.opb.org/news/article/kate-brown-orders-oregon-schools-to-close-coronavirus/

“Gov. Kate Brown has announced that all K-12 public schools in the state of Oregon will be closed Monday through the end of March.

The school closure announcement comes on the heels of Brown’s decision to ban public gatherings of more than 250 people for four weeks.

 

Im contacting gov office later today to say I think it should be 25 or 50, not 250

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Brown said she heard from superintendents, teachers, parents and school board members who said they were struggling to operate in the wake of staff shortages and student absences. The governor said a lot of concern was also voiced for teachers over the age of 60 with underlying medical issues.

 

So clamoring is happening and having effect. 

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

“I want to be very clear: sending Oregon children home will not stop the spread of the coronavirus,” Brown said in a statement. “While children are home, when at all possible, they should not be in the care of older adults or those with underlying health issues that are most at-risk from COVID-19.”

 

Clearly to me signifying that KN recognizes that there are probably many SARS2 positive patients including amongst schoolkids in state ... at the official figures, and if confirmed were close to actual we would not have to have caretakers not be high risk people.

high risk people with kids in school or grandkids etc are already at risk whether schools are open or closed

 

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

During the closure, Brown is calling on school districts to develop plans to operate schools when students return on Wednesday, April 1. School districts should also use the time to ensure they have adequate cleaning supplies for increased cleaning protocols, the governor’s release stated.

 

I am considering suggesting that schools should be pushed towards online if possible for as many kids as can do that so as to reduce in school crowding and reduce likelihood of vulnerable family and school staff being made ill. 

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

The state will track the impact the closures could have on instructional time. And the Early Learning Division will work to identify ways to support child care needs for the state’s most vulnerable families, as well as health care professionals and first responders, the governor stated.”

 

That’s good. I think. 

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This was a big part of the response in China. But I guess it can be delivery without contact.  Just place the boxes and keep driving.

 

I agree. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Lanny said:

 

I just looked at the main Carolina web page for COVID-19,  On that page, at this moment, they are not showing this, but when I looked a day or 2 ago, along with the States they listed, they showed 2 cities in TX,  Austin and San Antonio, Apparently other large TX cities have much lower risk at this time.   

I don't think that can be right. There were 18 reported cases in Harris County (Houston area) as of 24 hours ago; one in Frisco (near Dallas), a few in San Antonio but those were people taken there for treatment, and zero in Travis County (Austin area). 

(edited for clarity)

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lanny said:

 

I just looked at the main Carolina web page for COVID-19,  On that page, at this moment, they are not showing this, but when I looked a day or 2 ago, along with the States they listed, they showed 2 cities in TX,  Austin and San Antonio, Apparently other large TX cities have much lower risk at this time.   

 

No. It’s that there are cities with lots of cases but where no State of Emergency was called so it doesn’t fit UNC criteria.  

I think UNC should broaden that as calling a state of emergency doesn’t necessarily reflect scope of infection .

Some places called state of emergency with few confirmed or rumored cases, other places have Not called state of emergency even with many confirmed and rumored but unconfirmed cases. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is rather beautiful--

ETA: shoot, the video doesn't appear in my post. You can listen to it on WaPo live updates.

The singing echoing through empty Italy

ROME — Stuck in their houses under lockdown, the people in the Tuscan town of Siena on Thursday night found a way nonetheless to breathe a little life into their empty streets. They opened their windows and started singing.

Video, shared on Twitter and by Siena’s newspaper, showed vacant streets lit up by music — the local song “Verbena.” As the song continued, more and more voices joined in. The local newspaper, the Corriere di Siena, said the music “warmed all of Siena.” 

People of my hometown #Siena sing a popular song from their houses along an empty street to warm their hearts during the Italian #Covid_19 #lockdown.#coronavirusitalia #COVID19 #coronavirus

 
 

The trend is catching on. Similar events are planned Friday night in Rome, with people widely sharing a memo on social media calling for people to come to their balconies at 6 p.m.

 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Farrar said:

I think the shortages are really uneven. A friend snapped photos of the one and only Costco in DC. Lots of things totally cleaned out. She said rice, beans, and pasta were basically all gone. Another friend took a photo of the empty Trader Joe's that's closest to us and it was surreal. There were just like half a dozen boxes of frozen gluten free mac and cheese (good call on leaving those, panic buyers). Meanwhile, both the Target and the Giant within walking distance of my house still had things like bleach, tp, rice, beans, etc. all in stock as of midday. Now, they might have been gone by the end of the day. Rice, pasta, and bleach were all looking thin at my Giant when I grabbed a bit more stuff in a final trip. But mostly they looked normal. I'm not too worried about supplies overall. At least, not yet.

I'm not overly worried about supplies either.  Buyers however. that's another story.  Asked dh to pick up milk and allergy meds on his way home from work last night.  He said it was crazy.   Now I wish he'd gotten 2 gallons of milk just so we can avoid the crazy a little longer.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Aura said:

We've already talked a bit about how many people are still in denial. I think all the sports closing and school closings will help to serve as a wake-up call to many people.

 

I hope so.

Maybe my son’s teacher’s will stop telling the kids that CV is less bad than flu now.

 It makes it confusing to them to know whom to believe when teacher / authority figures are doing that. 

 

58 minutes ago, Aura said:

 

Wow.  

And if that’s so, I’d expect the west coast states to have even more. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like it suddenly hit a tipping point here. People went from “it’s no big deal” to “why haven’t they closed schools yet!” in like a 24 hour period.

  • Like 22
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...