Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

13 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Oh and my mom thought I should pick up some toilet paper from Costco for her.  I told her they've were out last week.  She says, "Oh, they've probably restocked by now".  She is totally living with her head in the sand on this.

Our local Costco stores did say they restock toilet paper daily to the customers.

I have a friend who works in the lab at Evergreen (the hospital where the majority of deaths have occurred).

she's been begging people she knows to take this seriously.  (the hospital is taking it seriously.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I was at ours this morning too.  I told the kids it was like the Saturday before Christmas.  Absolutely nuts.  I was there for over an hour and a half (my normal Costco trip is about 20 minutes,  I have a list and know exactly where everything is and never walk down aisles that I don't need something from)

Oh and my mom thought I should pick up some toilet paper from Costco for her.  I told her they've were out last week.  She says, "Oh, they've probably restocked by now".  She is totally living with her head in the sand on this.

Wow!
This varies so much by region. We don’t have Costco here, but Target is stocked pretty much normally. The aisles are overflowing with pallets of toilet paper; it’s ridiculous. The checkout person mentioned that they’ve been receiving double shipments and trying hard to keep up on stocking. I’ve been in three times this week already (sigh) and the store has been quiet and calm every time (different times of the day). There are zero signs of panic here (yet. My state has no confirmed cases yet).

• Like 1

I went to the grocery store today--there were random empty spots on the shelf, stuff that makes me think supply chain problems not contingency buying. Several brands of olive oil were sold out, for example. 

Egg stocks also appeared to be low--no idea what was driving that. Do we get eggs from overseas? There are usually gazillions of eggs leading up to Easter.

Most brands of toilet paper were out, as well as liquid hand soaps and I think Clorox wipes. I didn't walk through the water aisle.

It was mostly the olive oil that had me puzzled. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

dh recently shared an Einstein quote that fits:

Two things are infinite: the universe and stupidity.  and I'm not sure about the universe.

I don't think they're stupid. 

I think they've allowed themselves to be persuaded to only get information (especially about things they don't understand) from a very limited number of sources.

I think they might not know HOW to locate experts and isolate their own responses to the rational, in light of what they are being told by those whose business it is to actually know.

I think they don't understand the exponential activity of a pandemic, which is why they think it's ridiculous that fewer numbers than the common flu means a less serious problem. They can only attempt to evaluate the situation in front of their very eyes, without the ability to do the math and project.

Which you may call stupidity, but I believe it to be more a lack of education. Literacy, numeracy, logic, knowledge of history, ability to assess internet resources, interest in political science and medical science...this all requires education.

• Like 6

4H here has cancelled meetings and events until April 3rd.  Then they will re-evaluate to extend.  

DS needs a genetics appointment and I hear that I need to call tomorrow to get it moved up as they usually have a very, very long waitlist.  One doctor at the place has a confirmed case.  But we won’t be in that building as genetics is a separate building.  We will just wash well and go as he needs to get in with this person.  Hopefully, we can get a appointment in April now and not have to go in September.

Edited by itsheresomewhere

1 hour ago, sangtarah said:

5th NE case. Interestingly this 16 yr old is in a town really close to SD; not the place I would expect this virus to be hanging out! 

“Daily updates will be posted every afternoon

March 11

A 16-year-old from Northeast Nebraska with existing health conditions was transferred to the Nebraska Biocontainment Unit with COVID-19. His condition is serious.”

And yet, they are continuing with boys state basketball (this week) as if nothing will happen. I understand no one wants to cancel, but people!!! This is a stupid move!

ETA:  Just saw that the officials are attempting to limit fans to "family members of players." Better than nothing but a still a mistake... wonder if the cheerleaders will still be performing.

Edited by RootAnn
Added an update
  • Like 1

Just now, itsheresomewhere said:

4H here has cancelled meetings and events until April 3rd.  Then they will re-evaluate to extend.  

DS needs a genetics appointment and I hear that I need to call tomorrow to get it moved up as they usually have a very, very long waitlist.  One doctor at the place has a confirmed case.  But we won’t be in that building.  We will just wash well and go as he needs to get in with this person. 

I have a very important geneticist appointment for two of my sons, in April. It's supposed to happen in the cardiology/genetics dept of the children's hospital. I have no idea what to expect; it would be hard to move it because there will be heart function tests included in the appointment. If they can find a way to get us in, we'll be going, but I am not looking forward to this! But like you, we have waited months and months for this very needed appointment. 

I hope you and your son will be well, and I hope that you'll get a good start on the information you need from the geneticist.

• Like 1

Just now, Lang Syne Boardie said:

I have a very important geneticist appointment for two of my sons, in April. It's supposed to happen in the cardiology/genetics dept of the children's hospital. I have no idea what to expect; it would be hard to move it because there will be heart function tests included in the appointment. If they can find a way to get us in, we'll be going, but I am not looking forward to this! But like you, we have waited months and months for this very needed appointment. 

I hope you and your son will be well, and I hope that you'll get a good start on the information you need from the geneticist.

Thanks.  We have our own cardiologist who did the tests for us as DS was having anxiety wondering.  Now we just need this person to confirm what several others have thought.  I hope your own appointment goes well and you all stay well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

And yet, they are continuing with boys state basketball (this week) as if nothing will happen. I understand no one wants to cancel, but people!!! This is a stupid move!

I’m fairly close to becoming a hermit, but no one around me seems to be bothered about these things, and we still have medical appts, etc. 

Yesterday my new dr kinda shrugged and said everyone will get it so not to worry, I’m a woman and asthma isn’t much of a risk factor. 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Thanks.  We have our own cardiologist who did the tests for us as DS was having anxiety wondering.  Now we just need this person to confirm what several others have thought.  I hope your own appointment goes well and you all stay well.

We did the same, for an initial echocardiogram for each child, as soon as the possibility was raised (Marfan). The next round will be at the six month mark, with additional tests. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, maize said:

Egg stocks also appeared to be low--no idea what was driving that. Do we get eggs from overseas? There are usually gazillions of eggs leading up to Easter.

My husband is like our teens. Eat a lot more when home. Eggs and olive oil are low but not sold out at supermarkets, likely due to people cooking more in my area since majority work for one of the FAANG and are now working from home.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lang Syne Boardie said:

I think they've allowed themselves to be persuaded to only get information (especially about things they don't understand) from a very limited number of sources.

I think they might not know HOW to locate experts and isolate their own responses to the rational, in light of what they are being told by those whose business it is to actually know.

I think they don't understand the exponential activity of a pandemic, which is why they think it's ridiculous that fewer numbers than the common flu means a less serious problem. They can only attempt to evaluate the situation in front of their very eyes, without the ability to do the math and project.

Which you may call stupidity, but I believe it to be more a lack of education. Literacy, numeracy, logic, knowledge of history, ability to assess internet resources, interest in political science and medical science...this all requires education.

some are naïve.  some have chosen to put their heads in the sand.  some want to make it political to attack the other side (both sides are doing this.) - while some lack education, some have science education. (last week, one group I'm on someone posted something from a talking head MD saying people are over reacting, and i's not any worse than the flu. - someone here posted a similar comment from an ICU nurse.)    

I think there are different reasons people are where they are - some want to feel smarter than others, some have so much distrust of authority they wont' listen to anyone, some have so much fear it's easier to stick their heads in the sand and pretend nothing bad will happen because they want it to be.  I've heard "everyone dies from something" from at least half a dozen different people.   and some go around screaming "we're all gonna die".  (as bad as the Spanish flu was, the highest estimate is still "only" 6% of the global population died.)

• Like 1

Our stores were all well stocked today. Some TP and some brands of hand soap out at our Target... but honestly that’s not that weird. They have such high volume sales that they routinely have scant pickings for random items. Obviously those aren’t totally random, but still not a weird sight.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

To anyone who has cancer or has a spouse/child or other significant person in your life who does --

This publication from the NHS may be helpful (pdf)

I was scanning this and had to stop. Someone I love is in a risky category. I knew it, but seeing it in print is just too hard. I mean, the cancer itself is pretty awful.

I'm living in NBD territory, for the most part. Dh's work has begun to put in protocols for those who travel; ds' uni is having a meeting tonight, as well. I'm concerned on several fronts--relatives who are high risk, I am probably somewhat high risk, dh travels, etc. But mostly, the attitude here scares me, because while I am not panicking (yet), the people I am in contact with most just seem to think it is nothing, and that concerns me a LOT! 

On a different note, I'm wondering already about graduations. One dd in grad school is set to graduate this spring half-the-country away, and we have flight reservations (which can be moved). We have had trouble getting a place to stay, though, and I kind of want to not even try any more, because we can't afford to lose unrefundable money for nothing in a HCOL area. They are currently considering the online plan after spring break, but no mention has been made of graduation plans. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Lang Syne Boardie said:

Unfortunately, the president is literally, explicitly telling people that it's not as bad as the flu and they shouldn't worry because "it will go away."

The following is not from The Onion, it is excerpted from a transcript of a press conference on COVID-19, and it is currently available on the whitehouse.gov website:

"I’ve been briefed on every contingency you can possibly imagine.  Many contingencies.  A lot of — a lot of positive.  Different numbers.  All different numbers.  Very large numbers.  And some small numbers too, by the way.

Look, right now, I guess we’re at 26 deaths, and if you look at the flu — the flu, for this year — we’re at 8 mil- — we’re looking at 8,000 deaths.  And, you know, hundreds of thousands of cases, but we have 8,000 deaths.  So you have 8,000 versus 26 deaths, at this time.

<snip>

And we’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it.  And it will go away.  Just stay calm.  It will go away.

But be calm.  It’s really working out.  And a lot of good things are going to happen.  The consumer is ready, and the consumer is so powerful in our country with what we’ve done with tax cuts and regulation cuts and all of those things.  The consumer has never been in a better position than they are right now."

After several years of being brainwashed that the "mainstream media" is nothing but Fake News and only the POTUS (and his preferred news outlets) are telling the truth, why would anyone be surprised that millions of people are ignoring the actual news and the genuine experts and listening to the person who is telling them it's no big deal, it's not as bad as the flu, and not to worry because it "will go away"? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 12

We're about to have fil transferred from the hospital to short term rehab in the morning. They are not allowing visitors except for end-of-life patients. This is in NJ, Bergen County. It's a little scary sending him there after seeing what's going on in Washington, but hopefully these measures will keep the patients there safe. 

I have to say, my anxiety level is through the roof. I have a brother starting chemo/radiation treatment next week, plus my fil, and I worry about catching anything because every bug I've caught in the last few months has been affecting my MS a lot. 

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Unfortunately, the president is literally, explicitly telling people that it's not as bad as the flu and they shouldn't worry because "it will go away."

The following is not from The Onion, it is excerpted from a transcript of a press conference on COVID-19, and it is currently available on the whitehouse.gov website:

"I’ve been briefed on every contingency you can possibly imagine.  Many contingencies.  A lot of — a lot of positive.  Different numbers.  All different numbers.  Very large numbers.  And some small numbers too, by the way.

Look, right now, I guess we’re at 26 deaths, and if you look at the flu — the flu, for this year — we’re at 8 mil- — we’re looking at 8,000 deaths.  And, you know, hundreds of thousands of cases, but we have 8,000 deaths.  So you have 8,000 versus 26 deaths, at this time.

<snip>

And we’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it.  And it will go away.  Just stay calm.  It will go away.

But be calm.  It’s really working out.  And a lot of good things are going to happen.  The consumer is ready, and the consumer is so powerful in our country with what we’ve done with tax cuts and regulation cuts and all of those things.  The consumer has never been in a better position than they are right now."

After several years of being brainwashed that the "mainstream media" is nothing but Fake News and only the POTUS (and his preferred news outlets) are telling the truth, why would anyone be surprised that millions of people are ignoring the actual news and the genuine experts and listening to the person who is telling them it's no big deal, it's not as bad as the flu, and not to worry because it "will go away"? 

I know. I've been following from day one. I think what the president is doing should be seen as a public health threat and probably a crime. I think he should be removed immediately. 

I was very literally addressing my preference for considering people to be ignorant, even sometimes willfully so, instead of calling them stupid.

• Like 7

@gardenmom5@Laurie@LucyStoner

https://www.seattleschools.org/district/calendars/news/what_s_new/coronavirus_update

“All Schools Closed Starting March 12

Starting Thursday, March 12, Seattle Public Schools will be closed for a minimum of 14 calendar days.

Beginning Thursday all school building activities including school day instruction, childcare, health services, enrichment, etc. are canceled until further notice. 

Please read the latest update from Seattle Public Schools regarding COVID-19 below. 

March 11 Letter to Families

Dear Families:

Together, we are facing an unprecedented health crisis in our community. In our response to COVID-19, we must depend on the wisdom of our health experts and elected officials and lean on the resolve of our strong community.

We have been following the guidance of Public Health Seattle and King County and implementing preventive and responsive strategies, but in light of Governor Inslee’s request that all citizens practice measures to slow the spread of COVID-19, it is now time for the district to act swiftly. 

Starting Thursday, March 12, Superintendent Denise Juneau and the Seattle School Board will close Seattle Public Schools for a minimum of 14 days as the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) currently guides. This necessary action is an effective way to disrupt widespread infection.

Beginning Thursday, March 12, all school building activities including school day instruction, childcare, preschool, athletics/sports, health services, enrichment, etc. are canceled until further notice.Wednesday, March 11, childcare and extended day supports will continue as planned. We have an emergency food plan which will be put into place on Monday, March 16. More information will be provided by Friday, March 13.

The decision to close the district was extremely difficult. We know that closing our schools will impact our most vulnerable families and we recognize that working families depend on the consistency and predictability of supports and services our schools offer. We are working with partners and the city to determine how to best mitigate the impact closing schools will have on working families.

We also recognize there are still a lot of unknowns about this disease and just how prevalent it is in our community. Yesterday, we had our first staff member confirmed with COVID-19. As testing becomes more readily available, these cases will increase. While children appear to be more protected from extreme symptoms, adults, including our educators and employees, need support and protection as well.

As we have shared many times, our goal has been to keep our doors open as long as possible in order to support our students and the entire community. Our incredible school staff, school leaders, and central support staff have been unwavering in this commitment. We appreciate their service to our community, children, and families.

It is in times like these that our community values become visible. Please take care of each other. Reach out to neighbors and lend a hand to those in need. We will get through this, but it will take all of us thinking creatively and continuing to support our community’s children.

The superintendent will continue to stay in conversation with the city, state, and local officials, and partners as our entire region responds to new guidance and a call to take an active role combating COVID-19.

More information will be communicated Thursday, March 12, to all families. Please check the Coronavirus 2019 Update webpage for new information.

Office of Public Affairs”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A third private school here (Wake County, NC) has parents being tested and is closing just for cleaning. Public schools (with over 100k students) are not saying a word; I'm assuming there's frantic planning going on behind the scenes, which may differ for schools at different SES levels (as families with more money will have internet access and food).

I'm looking hard at my grocery stock and menu. As long as we can get groceries delivered ~every 10 days (I normally shop about every 4), we're okay. Longer spans than that would be an issue because of the lack of fridge and freezer space, especially. I made vegetable broth today, but that takes up freezer space. And then the other issue is if I can't cook for some reason (if I get sicker, or there's no electricity).

DH has been told to work from home for 2 weeks starting today, and I'm thankful that that's possible.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I was just told by a local HS mom that I’m participating in media hysteria because I’m worried about this, since the total deaths are so much lower than for the flu.

Well, the RATES are 10 times higher, assuming we’re calculating right!! Argh!! Numeracy, people...

People don't understand what the word "exponentially" means. It's been pointed out that in this country we use it as a vague, unquantified adjective for "got bigger, faster!" But in a pandemic situation, if the doubling occurs every five to six days, the old maxim holds true: 

Edited by Lang Syne Boardie
  • Like 3

Carolina announced today that they are extending the Spring Break for one week and then going to Remote classes. This is the URL with all of the details:   https://www.unc.edu/coronavirus/

I am thankful DD is in NC and is on a university sponsored trip at this time. Wondering as I wrote to her, about her courses with a Lab component, but UNC CH will mitigate that as much as they possibly can.

I am thankful that DD isn't on a Cruise Ship or flying and that she is in good hands.

Note: Yesterday, my DW said there were 3 confirmed cases of the COVID  19 here in Colombia. Today there are 6 cases. I told her that as they do more testing, and then they retest,  I believe they will increase the numbers. That will IMO be the same in the USA and in Europe and other countries around the world.

29 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@gardenmom5@Laurie@LucyStoner

https://www.seattleschools.org/district/calendars/news/what_s_new/coronavirus_update

“All Schools Closed Starting March 12

Starting Thursday, March 12, Seattle Public Schools will be closed for a minimum of 14 calendar days.

Beginning Thursday all school building activities including school day instruction, childcare, health services, enrichment, etc. are canceled until further notice. 

Please read the latest update from Seattle Public Schools regarding COVID-19 below. 

March 11 Letter to Families

Dear Families:

Together, we are facing an unprecedented health crisis in our community. In our response to COVID-19, we must depend on the wisdom of our health experts and elected officials and lean on the resolve of our strong community.

We have been following the guidance of Public Health Seattle and King County and implementing preventive and responsive strategies, but in light of Governor Inslee’s request that all citizens practice measures to slow the spread of COVID-19, it is now time for the district to act swiftly. 

Starting Thursday, March 12, Superintendent Denise Juneau and the Seattle School Board will close Seattle Public Schools for a minimum of 14 days as the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) currently guides. This necessary action is an effective way to disrupt widespread infection.

Beginning Thursday, March 12, all school building activities including school day instruction, childcare, preschool, athletics/sports, health services, enrichment, etc. are canceled until further notice.Wednesday, March 11, childcare and extended day supports will continue as planned. We have an emergency food plan which will be put into place on Monday, March 16. More information will be provided by Friday, March 13.

The decision to close the district was extremely difficult. We know that closing our schools will impact our most vulnerable families and we recognize that working families depend on the consistency and predictability of supports and services our schools offer. We are working with partners and the city to determine how to best mitigate the impact closing schools will have on working families.

We also recognize there are still a lot of unknowns about this disease and just how prevalent it is in our community. Yesterday, we had our first staff member confirmed with COVID-19. As testing becomes more readily available, these cases will increase. While children appear to be more protected from extreme symptoms, adults, including our educators and employees, need support and protection as well.

As we have shared many times, our goal has been to keep our doors open as long as possible in order to support our students and the entire community. Our incredible school staff, school leaders, and central support staff have been unwavering in this commitment. We appreciate their service to our community, children, and families.

It is in times like these that our community values become visible. Please take care of each other. Reach out to neighbors and lend a hand to those in need. We will get through this, but it will take all of us thinking creatively and continuing to support our community’s children.

The superintendent will continue to stay in conversation with the city, state, and local officials, and partners as our entire region responds to new guidance and a call to take an active role combating COVID-19.

More information will be communicated Thursday, March 12, to all families. Please check the Coronavirus 2019 Update webpage for new information.

Office of Public Affairs”

I live in an near in suburban district that closed starting last week with e-learning launched this week.  Hot spots and devices were made available to all.  Speech therapy is online plus my son’s 1-1 RBT will be available to work with him at home.  We aren’t adversely impacted since I am self employed from home part time and my husband works for a Fortune 500 company that ordered all HQ staff to work remotely.  I’m worried about childcare options for those whose parents can not work from home.  In my district they have made help with childcare available and only 300 families have needed it.  That’s not going to be the case in Seattle which is larger and has far more students with low income parents than my district does.  That said, certain employers are paying hourly workers even if their services aren’t required and the governor has ordered that unemployment insurance be made available for those who can’t work or are temporarily out of their income due to Covid-19.

SPS is a larger district and they waited to close until they really didn’t have other options.  They aren’t prepared to roll out an elearning options either.  I think their main focus will be a meal plan, as north of 40% of the district relies on free meals at school.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

The ASHP drug shortage list is starting to get uglier. I suspect that's why this is rumored to be in the works: https://apnews.com/917cf2d212d92b64ee8f3e08b9e67394 

"

President Donald Trump is expected to announce an executive order Wednesday insisting on American-made medical supplies and pharmaceuticals in response to the coronavirus outbreak, according to a person familiar with the plan.

Word about the planned announcement, from a person who was not authorized to publicly discuss the matter and spoke on condition of anonymity, comes amid another tumultuous day in the unfolding crisis. Confirmed cases in the United States are topping 1,000, fluctuations in the financial markets are continuing and Washington is straining to respond." 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

My dd’s university cancelled classes from 5 pm today. They say they will do on-line next week, then have Spring break week, then planning for back to in person classes from March 30th. They have some kids and staff in quarantine who attended a conference where someone subsequently tested positive.

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I’ve read “One Grain of Rice” to my classes. Perhaps we need to host a parent reading... (Who knows this story??)

I do!! 

I meant to say adverb, not adjective. And its doubling every 5 to 6 days.

I'm in four conversations at once, while listening to a tape of today's congressional hearing. LOL

Edited by Lang Syne Boardie

Oldest DS’s private school has released their pandemic plan, and has stopped all large gatherings and has hand sanitizer everywhere, as well as cleaning protocols, and their nurse is doing her thing. Younger DS’s public school is sharing chrome books throughout the school, and switching desks between kids, with nary a wipe or hand wash in sight. Sigh. 

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I’ve read “One Grain of Rice” to my classes. Perhaps we need to host a parent reading... (Who knows this story??)

I just read it to my six year old today and we talked about the virus in this context. If my six year can understand it, and take extra care to protect his grandparents (who are visiting snowbirds from Canada), so should the damn adults. I feel bad for them stuck here during a pandemic with our healthcare system, but I wouldn't be able to do my clinical rotations without them here to help watch the kids. We are also not sure if traveling right now is the best idea either. They drove here, so would have to make the week-long trek back to Quebec. So, they've decided to stay put for the time being (they stay on our boat during the winter, so they can isolate if need be). So hard to know what to do.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, maize said:

I saw an Asian lady buying 8 bottles of organic olive oil at Costco and was puzzled and chalked it up to the custom of many local Asians shipping edibles to their relatives in Asia. But, now I think that hoarding olive oil is ongoing because Italian supply might be affected! Napa valley cannot keep up to national demand.

• Like 6

A few weeks ago I saw a lot of carts filled with rice and olive oil.  I don't think they were planning to ship it---it was just their own version of stocking up.

Italian olive oil supply has been really tight for several years due to drought and disease.  It's why Costco started carrying Greek olive oil in the 2L bottle instead, and the Italian EVOO is now in the tiny bottle.

11 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I saw an Asian lady buying 8 bottles of organic olive oil at Costco and was puzzled and chalked it up to the custom of many local Asians shipping edibles to their relatives in Asia. But, now I think that hoarding olive oil is ongoing because Italian supply might be affected! Napa valley cannot keep up to national demand.

We bought more than 8 when grocery outlet (Alma St, Palo Alto) had a sale. It’s to hedge against price hike.

ETA:

Mine is from Spain 

646A2A12-A165-4272-BAAB-BB0B927E97D1.jpeg

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, kand said:

This is one of the things that indicates how widespread this may be in the US by now. We're starting to see more cases where travelers are bringing it back from the US, meaning it's likely pretty widespread in certain areas (like Seattle).

Yes, and I know at least 2 different people, from different families on Facebook here locally who traveled to Seattle area in the last 2 months.  And I am not a person with thousands of Facebook friends. More like 170 or so.  ANd a lot of those are not local at all.

We have a lot of wild olives here and we used to go harvest from roadsides and friend paddock and get it pressed.  Best oil ever.  Olive pressing time is coming up in a few months so maybe we’ll be doing that again.  Although many of the roadside trees are being sprayed because they’re technically a weed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, square_25 said:

I was just told by a local HS mom that I’m participating in media hysteria because I’m worried about this, since the total deaths are so much lower than for the flu.

Well, the RATES are 10 times higher, assuming we’re calculating right!! Argh!! Numeracy, people...

But that's such a "meaningless comparative!"

From Rush Limbaugh today (3/11/20):

"The flu has a mortality rate of about 0.1%, so Fauci places the new coronavirus lethality rate at somewhere around 1%. That’s the story. It isn’t that it’s 10 times more lethal than the flu, and this is how this crap gets politicized!

Pardon my yelling, but this stuff is what ticks me off, and my instincts tell me this. I know this kind of trickery and monkeying around with stuff is going on in these things because I know the media, I know the left, I know the Democrat Party, and I know how they’re trying to scare everybody and now they’re using Fauci here. “This is Trump’s guy! Trump’s guy is saying it’s 10 times more lethal than the flu,” which means nothing.

Ten times more lethal? Lethal than what? What does lethal mean? Does lethal kill you? Does lethal infect you? Does lethal give you a temperature of 102 versus 100? What does it do to you? It’s a meaningless comparative. Ten times more lethal? The only thing worth knowing in this story is that Anthony Fauci says the fatality rate to coronavirus is much less than what they believed."

[edited to move the author of the piece to the top so no one thinks these are my words! 😂]

Edited by Corraleno
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 9