Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

15 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

ABC 
More than 500 cases linked to grand final weekend gatherings, COVID commander says

Jeroen Weimar is up now — and he's said pretty clearly that social gatherings on AFL grand final weekend are part of why Victoria's cases spiked so high today.

"The contact tracers tell us that there have been significant numbers of social gatherings on Friday and Saturday, over a long weekend. Grand final parties. Other social gatherings, barbecues, backyard visits. This has generated a significant case load," he says.

"A third of our cases are due directly to those different types of social gatherings, as people have dropped their guard, and decided now it's the grand final weekend, it's the long weekend, we deserve a bit of a payback, we deserve a nicer time. And that has now translated into additional 500 cases from when we expected to see today."

This is infuriating. 

• Like 1

The 19 cases are only in Auckland. The rest of NZ is still covid free ( and has been for 15 months). PM said that when Auckland drops back it's restrictions (possibly on Wednesday), it's regional border will stay so they will be unable to mingle with the rest of us until it is gone. Today they are at 83% vaccinated in Auckland (first dose), and assuming they will get all of them the second dose in the next 6 weeks. They have finally put a number out there-- they are going for 90 percent of over 12s. They have free taxis services, walk ins, and roaming vaccine busses. They are starting a friendly rivalry between regions for who has the higher percent and businesses are joining in the competition. All political parties are on the same side on this issue. Every day is push push push. Do your part and get vaccinated. Vaccines equal freedom. Protect the children. Etc. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, lewelma said:

. They are starting a friendly rivalry between regions for who has the higher percent and businesses are joining in the competition.

This is so smart. 

47 minutes ago, lewelma said:

All political parties are on the same side on this issue. Every day is push push push. Do your part and get vaccinated. Vaccines equal freedom. Protect the children

So is this. 

• Like 5

1 case here in SA in a truck driver who has been in Vic.  Thanks to testing etc he was picked up pretty quickly as he tested negative.  He’d had one dose of vaccine and the rest of his family are vaccinated except one child who is two young.  They’ve all tested negative thankfully as the wife works in aged care.

• Like 3

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/science/coronavirus-can-transform-pancreas-cell-function-certain-genes-may-protect-an-2021-09-29/?fbclid=IwAR3YlE7uktggbNtpuwInc8-cuFnNMnG89oS9P_eaqU-qsaFp3UtJdJu0q1U

The article very briefly summarizes three lines of research: change in cell function with Covid, susceptibility to Covid, and a potential early treatment option (pill)

• Thanks 3

Looks like I’m one of the few to catch Covid twice! DH caught it between Christmas and New Year and passed it in to me and our 2 teens. The teens were mild and recovered in 2-3 weeks. DH and I didn’t recover for months. He felt better after his first vaccine shot, I didn’t. By May and no income I slowly went back to work and gradually increased my hours. Was feeling so much better, but still budgeting my energy. Double vaxed. Now I’ve tested positive again! 

I’ve been a lurker here for many years. I tried to sign in before, but couldn’t work it out. Started homeschooling in 1998, teens now doing high school virtually.

• Sad 17

2 hours ago, mumof6 said:

Looks like I’m one of the few to catch Covid twice! DH caught it between Christmas and New Year and passed it in to me and our 2 teens. The teens were mild and recovered in 2-3 weeks. DH and I didn’t recover for months. He felt better after his first vaccine shot, I didn’t. By May and no income I slowly went back to work and gradually increased my hours. Was feeling so much better, but still budgeting my energy. Double vaxed. Now I’ve tested positive again! 

Oh dear! I'm so sorry! I hope your infection passes quickly and easily this time. Are you the only one in your family who has it again this time?

1 minute ago, KSera said:

Oh dear! I'm so sorry! I hope your infection passes quickly and easily this time. Are you the only one in your family who has it again this time?

Yes, so far. Everyone is getting tested tomorrow. I got retested this morning in case it was a false positive. But I’m feeling yucky. Hopefully it will be mild and no one else catches it from me!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

ICAC.

Things could go from bad to worse depending on her replacement. 

Yeah.

Although I suspect that might be the main reason but she’s also lost support over the Covid response so it might be about that a bit behind the scenes I guess.  

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Think I need to go listen t to the press conference. 

Yep.  It was muddly.  On the one hand it sounded like blah blah open borders but then it sounded more like open to Nz (hah… as far as I know it’s NZ that won’t open to us!) and then vaccinated people doing at home quarantine - uncapped numbers but still up to individual states to do whatever they want.  So honestly more talk than actual action and all subject to being changed at a moments notice anyway.  At least I hope.  With the vax rates we have here right now open borders will really hurt in SA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also they are still going ahead with building quarantine facilities etc so I think they’re way less confident about what’s ahead than they’re saying anyway. I have to be honest, my other fear about increasing militarisation, China etc was very much present as well in talking about minister rearrangements, defence etc.  I really don’t like the direction things are going, particularly with China’s current coal shortage power crisis.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, mumof6 said:

Yes, so far. Everyone is getting tested tomorrow. I got retested this morning in case it was a false positive. But I’m feeling yucky. Hopefully it will be mild and no one else catches it from me!

The result of my second swab was negative! Yippee!

The first swab hurt a lot but cleared a blockage I’d had since January. There must have been some virus remnant stuck up in there. There was a high CT number so I was recommended to get retested. The second swab in the other nostril didn’t hurt at all and no virus there.

• Like 8

https://newatlas.com/medical/ekg-heart-electrical-activity-predicts-coronavirus-death-mount-sinai/

Researchers from The Mount Sinai Hospital have found changes to electrical activity in the heart can help predict which hospitalized COVID-19 patients are more likely to decline and die. The biomarker is easily measurable and potentially predicts death several days in advance.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

This is a good explainer.

No boosters on the horizon here yet.

My parents and in-laws had their boosters. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/seniors-can-walk-in-for-covid-19-booster-shot-without-appointment-from-oct-1
“SINGAPORE - From Friday (Oct 1), all Singapore citizens, permanent residents and long-term pass holders aged 60 and above will be able to walk in to any vaccination centre, polyclinic, or participating public health preparedness clinic to get a third shot of the Covid-19 vaccine, without the need for an appointment.

To be eligible for the booster shot, seniors must have had their second dose of the vaccine at least six months earlier.”

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My parents and in-laws had their boosters. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/seniors-can-walk-in-for-covid-19-booster-shot-without-appointment-from-oct-1
“SINGAPORE - From Friday (Oct 1), all Singapore citizens, permanent residents and long-term pass holders aged 60 and above will be able to walk in to any vaccination centre, polyclinic, or participating public health preparedness clinic to get a third shot of the Covid-19 vaccine, without the need for an appointment.

To be eligible for the booster shot, seniors must have had their second dose of the vaccine at least six months earlier.”

Good to hear your elders have been able to access.

My mom and dad got 3rd doses of Moderna yesterday - CVS and such don't seem to be questioning your reasons beyond checking off immune compromised on the online form. Dad had a sore arm and chills, which was a first - he had no reaction to the first two. Mom had no reaction this time either, which concerns me, but she also has constant pain from her arthritis so not sure she'd even notice a bit more achy, you know?

I got my booster of Pfizer today at 4pm.  So far so good. 

• Like 5

Case numbers for today

Vic 1488, 2 deaths

Qld 2 cases in at home quarantine 

NSW 813

NZ 27 cases

We’ve had a couple of truck drivers infected so fingers crossed for no spread from that.  So far we haven’t seen any spread from refuelling anywhere and vaccination centres have been set up in the major truck stop town from Vic to try and get maximum protection.

• Like 3

There were signs in the shop today apologising for certain products being unavailable due to delivery issues from interstate due to Covid. Nothing major, but not something I’ve seen for a while.  I’m not stocking up but I’m maintaining a spare of everything we use at least.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Also US passed 700,000 deaths today. 🙁

There are people here in NZ who are saying we should just open up and go like America and the UK.  Somehow I just don't think they are thinking about these horrific numbers. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

@Laura Corin

What's happening re boosters for AZ in Scotland

Eta immunosuppressed people are getting third doses after eight weeks.

People over fifty who had any two doses will be offered a booster dose of Pfizer -  plus people with various underlying conditions, NHS, carers, etc.. My stepmother,  aged 73, is getting her Pfizer today. I am likely to be offered my booster Pfizer in around November,  six months after my second AZ. I've booked for an earlier flu jab in October. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Eta immunosuppressed people are getting third doses after eight weeks.

People over fifty who had any two doses will be offered a booster dose of Pfizer -  plus people with various underlying conditions, NHS, carers, etc.. My stepmother,  aged 73, is getting her Pfizer today. I am likely to be offered my booster Pfizer in around November,  six months after my second AZ. I've booked for an earlier flu jab in October. 

Thanks Laura. 

Good to know. Glad you will be getting a booster. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Oh heck.  Now doing some catch up reading on his opinions on Covid and ouch.  We could be in for a rough ride.

He's the one Gladys had to fight to get lockdown to happen at all. I'm hoping Rob Stokes gets in - he will probably hold course, such as it is. We will know on Tuesday. But yes, it could be grim. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Also US passed 700,000 deaths today. 🙁

I see people reacting to the new oral Covid drug that may cut deaths in half as if that makes. Covid no big deal..then look at that number and think that half that number is still a whole lot of people. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4