Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Long article https://www.dw.com/en/germanys-coronavirus-response-separating-fact-from-fiction/a-53053822

“Germany’s coronavirus response: Separating fact from fiction

Germany’s low COVID-19 mortality rate has been marveled at by the foreign press. As with any news story constantly in flux, many things get lost in translation.

• Claim: Germany is testing at one of the highest per capita rates in the world, and is also testing individuals with light or no symptoms

Reality: The German Health Ministry has said that it is testing 300,000 people per week in a country of 82 million people; it has already carried out far more tests than Italy, the European epicenter of the pandemic. While that is a massive effort, assuming that each German resident would be tested once, it would take 3 years to test the entire population.

• Claim: Germany is allegedly considering issuance of "immunity certificates" to allow individuals who have recovered from the virus to move about freely

Reality: The origin of this rumor appears to be a quote by a scientist interviewed by German news magazine Der Spiegel, and reported by Deutsche Welle, who suggested it in connection with a potential research project. It was then picked up by The Telegraph in the UK and Business Insider in the US and reported as German government policy.

• Claim: Germany's death rate is so low due to advanced planning and an excellent healthcare system

Reality: Germany does have a robust public healthcare system that for now appears to be weathering the storm. As in many countries, however, medical professionals in respiratory and intensive care report being massively overworked, and there is a risk of running out of protective equipment. While Germany has enough hospitals, they are chronically understaffed, and medical students are now helping out in the most overwhelmed units.

• Claim: The US government is trying to steal Germany's vaccines

Reality: One of the first coronavirus stories from Germany to be widely reported globally came from an article in the Welt am Sonntag newspaper, which claimed that the administration of President Trump was trying to woo the Tübingen-based biopharmaceutical company CureVac.

The paper quoted an anonymous source claiming that Washington was offering a substantial financial incentive to develop a vaccine "only for the US."

After the quote was translated, it was reported by The Guardian and other news outlets. Since then, however, it has been denied by US Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell, German Health Minister Jens Spahn, and CureVac itself.

Moreover, CureVac is just one of dozens of German firms racing to create a vaccine, and Germany is just one of the many countries whose scientific community is now focused on immunization for COVID-19.

• Claim: One reason Germany's mortality rate is low is because Germans immediately stuck to the rules about social distancing

Reality: This is a misplaced belief circulated on social media, likely based on old stereotypes of the German national character rather than actual evidence. There are no hard statistics, but widespread anecdotal evidence would suggest otherwise.

When German Chancellor Angela Merkel first suggested on March 18 that Germans stay at home as much as possible and refrain from meeting in groups, thousands of social media users complained that as it was beautiful weather, and the local ice cream dealers and cafes remained open. Nothing appeared to have changed about public life other than a lack of toilet paper.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Measles has been eradicated by vaccine in Australia as far as I understand. This study doesn’t actually say vaccinated individuals can still spread the virus except that the vaccine doesn’t work for around 8pc of people and those can still spread it.  Indicating the need for a better vaccine.  Still better than nothing.

probably we should take this to another thread.

Probably should go to another thread but for me having the measles as a child (and I was really sick btw) and numerous vaccinations did not make me immune....... herd immunity from vaccination needs to be high enough to protect people like me.  It’s figured into the numbers per someone who I knew who was involved in deciding the numbers for US years ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StellaM said:

This is one good outcome I can see.

I think the combo here of bushfires and air pollution, followed by pandemic, has broken down a cultural resistance to make wearing (it was largely seen as something  only Asian people did before this).

I still can't get any masks, though, and haven't been able to since January, so supply will need to up dramatically here to take advantage of the cultural shift.

Probably if we hadn't outsourced all our textile manufacturing for the sake of ever cheaper clothes, we might have been able to get production up and running quickly. It seems a pretty home based affair atm.

I started sewing some.  Well, no.  Sewing is premature.  I am looking at patterns, holding cloth up for comfort and testing breathing through the cloth...     others on the masks threads are way ahead!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Measles has been eradicated by vaccine in Australia as far as I understand. This study doesn’t actually say vaccinated individuals can still spread the virus except that the vaccine doesn’t work for around 8pc of people and those can still spread it.  Indicating the need for a better vaccine.  Still better than nothing.

probably we should take this to another thread.

As far as I understand it, the vaccines that can sometimes (rarely) make people contagious are only the live vaccines, which are in the minority.  Those would be mumps, measles, rubella, and chicken pox.  ETA: I think Pertussis comes in both live and killed - what's in DTaP is the inactive one.  Oral polio was live, but after it was mostly eradicated they switched to a killed version (the injected one they give now), which apparently is marginally less effective in providing immunity from the wild virus, but after a while pretty much the only cases in places like the US were being caught from people right after vaccination shedding virus, as the wild virus was not around anymore.  I don't think you can be contagious from a vaccine with a killed virus (flu I think is killed except for that nasal spray kind).

It is of course utterly unclear at this stage if any possible coronavirus vaccine would be live or killed.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

I just listened to the daily update from the health dept here.  They are going to be running testing of the tb vaccines aiming to boost the immune system on health workers out of SAHMRI here.  I’m not sure that that’s overly hopeful given discussions I’ve seen on the forum but I guess they have to try something and it’s relatively inexpensive.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

As far as I understand it, the vaccines that can sometimes (rarely) make people contagious are only the live vaccines, which are in the minority.  Those would be mumps, measles, rubella, and chicken pox.  ETA: I think Pertussis comes in both live and killed - what's in DTaP is the inactive one.  Oral polio was live, but after it was mostly eradicated they switched to a killed version (the injected one they give now), which apparently is marginally less effective in providing immunity from the wild virus, but after a while pretty much the only cases in places like the US were being caught from people right after vaccination shedding virus, as the wild virus was not around anymore.  I don't think you can be contagious from a vaccine with a killed virus (flu I think is killed except for that nasal spray kind).

It is of course utterly unclear at this stage if any possible coronavirus vaccine would be live or killed.

I have heard of issues with chicken pox but didn’t realise it was a thing with measles as well.  

1 hour ago, Plum said:

No nope no way uh uh 😵🤦🏻‍♀️

Nursing home staff told to re-use masks by turning them inside out amid COVID-19 outbreak

Health care workers at a Reno nursing home where a coronavirus outbreak has killed two people were told to use surgical masks for two days and to flip the mask inside out before wearing on the second day.

However, in a March 26 letter to staff obtained by the Reno Gazette Journal, management of the Lakeside Health and Wellness assisted living center told its employees to store their masks overnight in a paper bag and then re-wear them inside out on the second day.

"When returning the next day that you are scheduled, you will use the same mask as the prior shift, by turning it inside out and wearing it through your shift," the letter said. "That mask will then be discarded at the end of your 2-days."

Employees were asked to sign and date the letter, indicating that they would abide by the mask guidance.

WTF ?!?!?   Complete  Idiocy? Or attempted murder ?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

CV19 seems to be currently eradicated from Greenland.

11 confirmed cases have all recovered. With travel bans in place, they have reported no new cases in last few days...  2 weeks or so should show if any more cases emerge from contact with asymptomatic carriers.

I hope to see NZ as the next place with similar situation. 

• Like 18

@mathnerd

Santa Clara County https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-10/coronavirus-silicon-valley-hospital-santa-clara-valley-medical-center

“One by one, nurses got coronavirus at a Silicon Valley hospital while management kept quiet

The first to get sick was a woman in the nurse staffing office, who died in mid-March after a girls’ trip to Las Vegas with some hospital colleagues.

A nursing manager fell ill next, followed by a nurse on the night shift and then a day supervisor. A short time later, a day shift nurse went out and then a temp.

At the Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, the nurses on a second-floor medical-surgical unit kept the grim tally in furtive texts and emails: Six women who had worked on their ward or visited it in the course of their duties had developed symptoms of the coronavirus. Four reported testing positive, one had yet to be tested and one was dead.

Yet from the hospital administration, the worried employees said they heard nothing about what appeared to be an outbreak of the virus within the hospital’s walls. There was no official acknowledgment of the cases, and nurses who shared phone headsets, computer keyboards and a tiny break room were not tested, according to interviews and correspondence reviewed by The Times.

The frustration boiled over this week with an anonymous whistleblower complaint to Santa Clara County, which runs the hospital.

“Management is not communicating confirmed positive cases — information that would enable potentially-exposed/infected staff to take extra precautionary measures to not affect their loved ones at home and elsewhere,” stated a complaint signed, “employees not treated responsibly from within.”

The hospital’s compliance office has now launched an investigation.

Silicon Valley has been one of the hardest-hit parts of California with Santa Clara County reporting more than 1,440 confirmed cases and 47 deaths. Of the confirmed cases, 109 have been healthcare workers, according to state data. Valley Medical Center, the region’s flagship public hospital, has cared for a wave of COVID-19 patients.

The 2 Medical unit was not a designated ward for coronavirus patients, but nurses were trained in infection protocols for virus patients and some with suspected or confirmed cases ended up receiving treatment there.

The staffer who died, who was the first widely known by collegaues to have symptoms, worked on another floor of the hospital, but she had frequent contact with the unit staff as part of her job, according to interviews with four employees, the whistleblower report and a written complaint to the president of the nurses’ union. The employees spoke on the condition of anonymity, saying they feared retaliation.”

• Sad 8

I think this will both be welcomed and despised,sometimes by the same people. The scariest part to me is at the bottom (bolding by me).

The technology would rely on the Bluetooth signals that smartphones can both send out and receive. If a person tests positive for COVID-19, they could notify public health authorities through an app. Those public health apps would then alert anyone whose smartphones had come near the infected person's phone in the prior 14 days.

The companies insist that they will preserve smartphone users' privacy. Smartphone users must opt in to use it. The software will not collect data on users' physical locations or their personally identifiable information. People who test positive would remain anonymous, both to the people who came in contact with them and to Apple and Google.

In the coming months, they will update their operating systems so phones can share information without having to install an app

NPR article:  Apple & Google Team Up to Build a Tracking App

Edited by RootAnn
Added a paragraph
  • Like 1

@Plum@Pen@BeachGal@ElizabethB

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/04/07/2004999117
“Abstract

In a phylogenetic network analysis of 160 complete human severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-Cov-2) genomes, we find three central variants distinguished by amino acid changes, which we have named A, B, and C, with A being the ancestral type according to the bat outgroup coronavirus. The A and C types are found in significant proportions outside East Asia, that is, in Europeans and Americans. In contrast, the B type is the most common type in East Asia, and its ancestral genome appears not to have spread outside East Asia without first mutating into derived B types, pointing to founder effects or immunological or environmental resistance against this type outside Asia”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What is making me really sad is that out of our family- dh and I are the only ones who live in house with a secure location for tornadoes.  We are up to a Torcon 5 last I checked for tomorrow afternoon to late night.  But I can't invite any of my family to come stay in our house then because my youngest may have COVID19 and lives with her brother, who could have it too asymptomatic.    And she most likely got it from my son in law who lives with my other daughter since he is the only one going to work nowadays (in a manufacturing plant) and he is the one who felt kind of bad too.  I believe that dd1 and dsil visited dd2 and ds last week some time. 

This looks like it may be the worse tornado outbreak that we have had since the one right before we moved here in April 2011.  With that one, my city wasn't hit but enough of the power lines were down that people had no electricity for 10 days.  Since I knew about that before we moved here, my plan had always been to take some of our stuff, and move to a hotel in a non tornado affected area.  Now I am really unsure what we will do.  

• Sad 14

59 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

Oh no, I hope she gets excellent care and fast. ((hugs))

• Like 7

Have you all seen skin rash added to the list of possible symptoms?

I was just googling if rash was a symptom last week after coming down with the weirdest unexplained rash I’ve ever had. Google said rash wasn’t a symptom, but today I’m reading it can be and may even show up in otherwise asymptomatic people. 

I had a more burning than itching rash on my neck, ears, and around but not in my eyes with no exposure to anything new. I have no other symptoms other than a mild cough that I’ve had since getting sick around New Year’s. (From asthma). Could the rash be covid?? It was a really unusual acting rash. I wish we had better testing. 

4 minutes ago, Paige said:

I was just googling if rash was a symptom last week after coming down with the weirdest unexplained rash I’ve ever had. Google said rash wasn’t a symptom, but today I’m reading it can be and may even show up in otherwise asymptomatic people. 

I had a more burning than itching rash on my neck, ears, and around but not in my eyes with no exposure to anything new. I have no other symptoms other than a mild cough that I’ve had since getting sick around New Year’s. (From asthma). Could the rash be covid?? It was a really unusual acting rash. I wish we had better testing. 

Uh oh. Have u got a link to info and any sense of sort of rash? Appearance of rash?  

There’s a few other sources if you google. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1266948/coronavirus-symptoms-signs-covid-19-infection-skin-spots/amp

My rash was most similar to hives but I’ve had hives a couple times and it was not the same. I thought maybe shingles, but again the symptoms didn’t match. I’m very allergic to poison ivy and it could not have been that. Obviously I didn’t see the doctor. I would have gone in if it weren’t for the Coronavirus situation because it was so weird.

Edited by Paige
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

Oh no! Not more than 3 minutes ago, I just read that one of the symptoms that you should head to the ER for is confusion. 

Oh, how I wish this nasty disease would go away.  Hugs to you.

• Like 3

Update on dd2.    I am so glad the ER didn't discount her issues.  She has had blood tests, flu test, COVID19 test, and chest xray.  The doctor saw her once before all the results were in and agreed with her that it wasn't her asthma---- she has severe asthma and has had it for years and knows what asthma feels like versus this.   She is still in the ER in a bed being monitored and waiting for a diagnosis and possible treatment plan.   She is by far our sickest child.  She is the one who got hospitalized In NZ when she developed viral meningitis.  She is the one who has had the most ER visits - due to severe allergies, severe asthma or in a few cases, like the NZ ones, viral diseases.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 24

2 hours ago, Paige said:

Ugghhh. I spent a lot of time last week online trying to find if there could be a rash and found nothing. Ds has a rash that started on his stomach and moved to his arms and hands. It is the weirdest thing and Benadryl nor Zyrtec have helped at all. He has no other symptoms though so I quit worrying. He decided if it wasn't gone after this weekend that he would call for an appointment at his student health center but I don't want him exposing people to something worse now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paige said:

Interesting. I had a respiratory “thing “ (including swollen burning airways but no fever ever) for six weeks and towards the end I had a diffuse rash on my chest. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pen said:

We are at 29 new, and 55 recovered yesterday. So 3 days in a row of more recovered than new. We now have a full police-supervised 14-day quarantine at the border for all returning citizens, foreigners banned. 

ETA: Numbers just out today: 19 new, 49 recovered. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Interesting. I had a respiratory “thing “ (including swollen burning airways but no fever ever) for six weeks and towards the end I had a diffuse rash on my chest. 

Huh.  I also had an itchy, burning rash on my hands that I discounted as being allergic to the nitrile gloves. Now kiddo has the same thing, but he has not worn gloves at all.  We've both had some vague respiratory stuff that we've discounted as allergies, but it's been worse than typical allergies.  No fever here, either. 

I keep thinking back to this kid we saw at the library in late February.  We had very minimal contact with this kid for maybe 10 minutes, and by minimal contact I mean that the kid walked into the room and I told my kiddo that we needed to pack it up and leave.  Yet kiddo STILL came down with this respiratory crud.  I was so shocked and annoyed.  Like, the kid came into the room, coughed twice, we left and washed up and bang! Kiddo was sick 2 days later. 

I dunno. It's probably not CV-19, but it was weird. There's been a couple of minor health things over the last 6 weeks that I keep saying "That's weird". Not weird enough to make one seek a doctor, but weird enough that I noticed. 🤨

• Like 3

Stimulus checks

https://abc7news.com/politics/us-to-issue-1st-covid-19-stimulus-checks-via-direct-deposit/6095356/
“WASHINGTON -- The United States Treasury has issued the first COVID-19 stimulus check payments via direct deposit to some Americans, ABC News has learned.

Americans who received their 2018 and/or 2019 tax returns via direct deposit will get the stimulus money no later than Wednesday.

"During the 2008-2009 financial crisis, it took the government several months before the first stimulus payments were issued to the American people. This administration has done it in just two weeks. This in and of itself is a major achievement," a senior Treasury official said in a statement.”

2 minutes ago, lewelma said:

My sister just got a rash and feels very unwell. But a doc over the phone diagnosed it as shingles. I don't think anyone even considered a rash as symptom for Covid19. Oh dear. 

Now that I think about it, my husband's uncle has shingles, too.  We saw him (from a distance) 10 days ago, when he came by to pick up eggs.  🤨 Hmmm...

Oh my.

Dd17 has what we thought was foot fungus on both feet, but it's not responding to Lamisil or Lotrimin. Now I'm thinking could be COVID-related chilblains. She first noticed it 10 days ago, on April 1. Video below shows two types of potentially COVID-related rashes dermatologists are seeing. Similar rashes can be caused by many other things, it's just that they're seeing this in around 20% of COVID-19 patients. 

https://www.popsugar.com/beauty/coronavirus-skin-rashes-symptom-47384587

Holy smokes! Need to figure out what this means for our household. I doubt she can get tested in my state because she has no other Covid symptoms. The video notes chilblains are often seen in younger patients with no other symptoms. But I'll be in touch with our ped. 

Dh has asthma so we've taken social distancing very seriously and have been really careful. On the other hand, we've all had some weird minor symptoms which have puzzled me since everyone's been out of work and school for a month....

30 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Now that I think about it, my husband's uncle has shingles, too.  We saw him (from a distance) 10 days ago, when he came by to pick up eggs.  🤨 Hmmm...

Stress can be a factor in shingles as well.  Shingles isn’t just a weird rash.

• Like 1

Shingles isn’t contagious to people who’ve already had chicken pox. I decided my rash was unlikely to be shingles because I had no fever or other ill feelings and it was not one sided. 

This is hard because the virus supposedly has all kinds of possible symptoms or none, you’re wildly contagious, and supposed to quarantine yourself if you have it, you want to be a responsible person, but you don’t want to be a hypochondriac and calling off work unnecessarily. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pen said:

CV19 seems to be currently eradicated from Greenland.

11 confirmed cases have all recovered. With travel bans in place, they have reported no new cases in last few days...  2 weeks or so should show if any more cases emerge from contact with asymptomatic carriers.

Meanwhile in Australia

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-12/coronavirus-curve-flattens-but-new-questions-worry-australians/12140962?pfmredir=sm

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MissLemon said:

My dad has shingles right now.

i think it definitely is that because he’s had it a couple of times 

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

My dad has shingles right now.

i think it definitely is that because he’s had it a couple of times 

I hope so. Do you know if having shingles right now would make one more susceptible to COVID-19?  

My uncle-in-law had been at Walmart and I was like "Augh, you need to stay hooooome, why are you going to Walmart of all places?!" We had a person in my town that was waiting for test results and went to Walmart anyway. The test was positive and there's some debate about whether or not they knew this before they went out. 

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Mom2mthj said:

Stress can be a factor in shingles as well.  Shingles isn’t just a weird rash.

I know a bunch of people who had since CV19 outbreak or now are with shingles or suspected shingles (not wanting to go to medical establishments currently so having to guess),  and assumed it was shingles and due to high stress.  But I guess maybe it could be a dermatological form of CV19.  The cases I currently know of and recently knew of maybe-shingles seem to have responded/ be responding reasonably well to lysine/vitamin C . 

Edited by Pen

3 hours ago, Acadie said:

Oh my.

Dd17 has what we thought was foot fungus on both feet, but it's not responding to Lamisil or Lotrimin. Now I'm thinking could be COVID-related chilblains. She first noticed it 10 days ago, on April 1. Video below shows two types of potentially COVID-related rashes dermatologists are seeing. Similar rashes can be caused by many other things, it's just that they're seeing this in around 20% of COVID-19 patients. 

https://www.popsugar.com/beauty/coronavirus-skin-rashes-symptom-47384587

Holy smokes! Need to figure out what this means for our household. I doubt she can get tested in my state because she has no other Covid symptoms. The video notes chilblains are often seen in younger patients with no other symptoms. But I'll be in touch with our ped. 

Dh has asthma so we've taken social distancing very seriously and have been really careful. On the other hand, we've all had some weird minor symptoms which have puzzled me since everyone's been out of work and school for a month....

Interesting. Mine was the livedoid pattern. It didn’t really bother me so I didn’t think too much about it. And I only had it a couple of days towards the end. 

• Like 2

😡https://time.com/5819588/nurses-slashed-tires-new-york/

“As medical workers left New York Presbyterian Hudson Valley Hospital in Cortlandt, N.Y., early Friday morning they found that tires on 22 cars in the parking lot had been slashed, officials said.

In a press release circulated Friday, New York State Police said it had arrested Daniel R. Hall, 29, for the incident. The police said Hall also allegedly had a small amount of PCP on him. Hall’s attorney could not be immediately located for comment.

“We were shocked to hear of this incident, especially at this time when our employees are working tirelessly and courageously through this crisis,” NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital told TIME in a statement. The hospital told TIME it would pay for the damages.

Hall was arraigned and given sent to the Westchester County Jail in lieu of $1,500 cash bail. He’s scheduled to appear before Peekskill Court on May 18. The police did not immediately respond to TIME’s request for comment.”

• Sad 10

Hundreds of thousands of the Abbott Labs rapid tests are sitting idle:

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-04-09/abbott-tests-to-detect-covid-19-are-falling-short

If they were being used as quickly as they are being produced (50,000/day), we would be seeing a bump in testing. Testing has basically been flat for the last week (give it take a bit).

Sweden's new case numbers & death numbers are down. Anyone have insight on that?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looking for your opinion, since so many of you have been looking at charts and models for months now. Is it just too soon to get our hopes up that all the public health measures (everything, including schools, restaurants, non-grocery stores, shut down since March 16) are working?

6F1D8652-365B-4972-BDF2-363A549F4BDE.jpeg.d77a6bfd49b4cc3d2d7d4cba720378b1.jpeg

ETA: 18,448 tests performed 

Edited by arctic_bunny

44 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Hundreds of thousands of the Abbott Labs rapid tests are sitting idle:

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-04-09/abbott-tests-to-detect-covid-19-are-falling-short

If they were being used as quickly as they are being produced (50,000/day), we would be seeing a bump in testing. Testing has basically been flat for the last week (give it take a bit).

Our state had announced it had them, but was still getting them distributed within the state . 

It isn’t clear that testing guidelines have changed.  

It might actually be a good idea to work with epidemiologists to make the best use they can figure out for the tests it can do. 

Like can it help with figuring out a rational way into the Dance phase of Hammer and Dance even with somewhat wider but still limited testing?  I don’t think they have that figured out yes and don’t want to blow the tests they got  

44 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Sweden's new case numbers & death numbers are down. Anyone have insight on that?

I heard that many in Sweden felt the keep doing things as usual experiment wasn’t working and started clamoring for required Physical Distancing plus doing it. 

• Like 1

My daughter is at her house,  She was negative on whatever COVID19 test they did but the doctor didn't rule it out.  He gave her several prescriptions.  She was sick earlier before our stay at home stuff started and was quarantined for 14 days.  I am not sure if she is quarantined again.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

Looking for your opinion, since so many of you have been looking at charts and models for months now. Is it just too soon to get our hopes up that all the public health measures (everything, including schools, restaurants, non-grocery stores, shut down since March 16) are working?

6F1D8652-365B-4972-BDF2-363A549F4BDE.jpeg.d77a6bfd49b4cc3d2d7d4cba720378b1.jpeg

ETA: 18,448 tests performed 

I think They are working as the doubling rate you highlighted shows. 

Id also look for a trailing improvement in other statistics like new cases per day figures to start dropping next 

13 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

No, now is when you would be seeing that the measures are working. It doesn't mean it's time to stop the measures, though. 

No, definitely not. And the government has no plans to stop. School is out until September no matter what, everything else has been cancelled. Camping reservations are closed for the summer. We just have to keep doing what we’re doing, fingers crossed!