Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Just now, SeaConquest said:

Have you read the hatefulness that Rush has said about his fellow human beings over the years? It is truly vile. I don't mean political discourse. That's par for the course. I am talking about the kind of stuff that makes you sick to your stomach, as you describe. I wouldn't wish harm on anyone. But, it has happened, and as I said, karma.

I won’t comment on Rush.  He owns his own opinions.

Mimicking behavior of which you disapprove doesn’t make your behavior justified.

Kindness is always the right answer.  Always.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Now Tom Hanks and his wife picked it up in Australia. But hey, at least they got tested. Lucky them.

Gold coast

If we have a really significant outbreak that will be a likely starting place.  Lots of tourism, lots of high rise, theme parks and not that clean.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hadley said:

I won’t comment on Rush.  He owns his own opinions.

Mimicking behavior of which you disapprove doesn’t make your behavior justified.

Kindness is always the right answer.  Always.

Point taken. You are right. I apologize.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Point taken. You are right. I apologize.

Thank you.  You certainly don’t owe me an apology, but I am impressed that you can step back and think about it.

I think we are all on edge.  

• Like 6

Lighthearted news article @StellaM@Melissa in Australia@Ausmumof3

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-12/cafe-offers-coffee-for-toilet-paper-coronavirus-panic-buying/12046620
“A cafe in Far North Queensland has become so desperate for toilet paper that it is offering to trade coffee for some precious rolls.

Supermarket shelves around the country have been stripped bare of toilet rolls due to panic buying over coronavirus concerns, prompting retailers to limit sales and authorities to call for calm. 

On Monday, Jaques Coffee Plantation in Mareeba discovered it was running low on loo rolls at its cafe-restaurant and its suppliers were out of stock.

"This is wholesale suppliers too, not just supermarkets which I've sort of been laughing at."

Mr Jaques turned to social media to replenish supplies in the interim, offering to exchange a takeaway coffee for three rolls of toilet paper, or a one-kilogram bag of beans for a pack of 36 rolls.

"I know toilet paper's out there, people are hoarding it, and I thought we could see if we could get a little bit off them ... see who will bring some of the precious toilet paper," he said.

"We obviously need to get more, and we've been promised more by suppliers, but it's going to start getting critical.

But despite the bargain on offer — a $42 bag of coffee in return for a 36-pack of toilet paper retailing at around $16 — no customers took it up.

"It's been very interesting to see that nobody wants to part with it, which is even more interesting and funnier," Mr Jaques said.

After a 24-hour wait, some regular patrons from nearby Camp Paterson, which runs school camps, traded nine rolls for three takeaway coffees.

Camp manager Scott Mahaffey said he saw the callout and thought it was a joke.

"I thought it was a bit of fun there, so my wife was at the shopping centre and saw some toilet paper, so she thought she'd take it along to Jaques and just see what they'd say when she walked through the door," he said.

"It's crazy the toilet paper thing's still going around ... people get desperate, I suppose, when they need to go to the toilet."

Mr Jaques said more toilet rolls had since come in.

"We had a young girl walk in with another nine-pack and she didn't actually want anything for it, just a nice thing to do."

He said he expected some toilet paper to be delivered in the coming days and would continue the bartering scheme until he had enough rolls at the cafe.

"They go through a few rolls. That's part of the daily use here. Coffee, it keeps some people regular and stuff, so they do go hand in hand.”

• Haha 3

More on Casual workers in Aus from ABC

He's said he's confident that Centrelink will be able to handle new requests from casual workers who contract COVID-19 or have to isolate themselves.

As part of this package, those workers will be eligible for a Newstart welfare payment while they're out of work. The PM said the wait time to access that payment would be waived, but there would still be an asset test before workers receive the money.

I have high anxiety tonight about my daughter in France. It’s hard; just having no idea what is going to happen. I mean I just have no idea what’s going to happen when her term is over beginning of May. It’s stressing me out. And that’s assuming she doesn’t get sick, or at least, she weathers it well if she does get sick. If she gets sick I might actually be a basketcase. 

My son is still considering going to Florida for spring break next week. I’m having a hard time because I think it’s wrong to make a demand on him. I want him to choose well without my ordering him not to go to spring break. But he hasn’t yet drawn the conclusion that he really just should not.

Someone please say something comforting. I’m gonna take my spare Xanax I have left over from surgery. 

• Sad 13

30 day flight ban between US AND Europe
i didn’t see that coming 

“ICYMI, the US President just wrapped up a rare address to the nation. He announced:

• A ban on all travel between the US and Europe for 30 days beginning on Friday local time. The UK will be exempt
  • Financial relief for workers "who are ill, quarantined or caring for others"
  • Plans to defer tax payments for some individuals and businesses for up to three months
  • Plans to make low-interest loans available to businesses
  • A call to Congress to pass a cut to the federal payroll tax

"This is not a financial crisis," he said. "This just a temporary moment of time that we will overcome together as a nation and as a world."

2 minutes ago, Quill said:

I have high anxiety tonight about my daughter in France. It’s hard; just having no idea what is going to happen. I mean I just have no idea what’s going to happen when her term is over beginning of May. It’s stressing me out. And that’s assuming she doesn’t get sick, or at least, she weathers it well if she does get sick. If she gets sick I might actually be a basketcase. 

My son is still considering going to Florida for spring break next week. I’m having a hard time because I think it’s wrong to make a demand on him. I want him to choose well without my ordering him not to go to spring break. But he hasn’t yet drawn the conclusion that he really just should not.

Someone please say something comforting. I’m gonna take my spare Xanax I have left over from surgery. 

For one thing I think by the beginning of May we are going to have a much clearer picture.  I’m assuming she is young and still in the very low risk bracket.  

• Like 1

NBA season suspended (player tested positive), NHL statement forthcoming tonight.  I’m watching the Blues/Ducks game (which is actually a makeup of a postponed game from last month after one of our players almost died on the bench), so I’m watching the ticker on the screen for other sports league suspensions or restrictions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, StellaM said:

So, apparently in AU we are doing nothing for casual workers who need to self-isolate, because they will 'live off their savings'. Note: they had their penalty rates reduced last year, so their saving capacity has been diminished for some time. So sick casuals will be going to work and spreading the virus, thanks Australian government!!

Fever clinic set up at my local hospital, but they won't test anyone who hasn't had o/s travel, or is a close contact of someone with the virus. A teacher from school went to the clinic with symptoms and was refused testing. Thanks NSW government!

Three kids in just one of my classes had been out for two days with fever and a cough - their parents brought them to school today because their fever was gone. They are still coughing. Is it coronavirus? No-one knows...they're not being tested. I won't be snarky about the parents, some of whom are probably casual workers who - oh! can't take time to live on their savings while they keep their kids out of school for at least 14 days.

Also? The bus was packed and the woman next to me was sneezing constantly. I have to believe that it was allergies. 

I got Vit D3 and probiotics ( one of the other teachers said there'd been info from John Hopkins about getting on probiotics? Idk but I'm taking them.

I cancelled work this afternoon so I could come home from Job 1 and rest.

My dd1  went to an urgent care where she was diagnosed with the flu (flu test was positive) and yes, she did have a flu shot in Oct.  There was a man there shivering and coughing who had come back from a cruise (she has no idea where or on what ship) and was now sick.    But she was super upset when she found out that unless you have a fever of 100.4 or above and even if other flu tests and other bacterial tests are negative, you will not be tested.

Now I went to my concierge doctor to discuss my liver tests- slightly elevated, my labile hypertension, my allergies, my pain meds, and yes, coronavirus too.  I asked what the protocol was--- he said if I get the symptoms (and he knows I do not get fever and he knows that most patients start getting lung damage before they actually get the fever) that what he would do is meet me in the hall or out by my car and basically if he would examine me away from the office so as to not put other patients and staff at risk.  He said that what he wants for me and others like me is treatment and if the stupid govt rules don't allow testing right away, but he could hear I am having the lung issues, I would be getting a CAT scan.  CAT scan is the true diagnosis- you can see the interstitial pneumonia on it.  People get that before the fever.  And he said the hospitals in the area and the medical community have been discussing the lack of testing and how to treat people anyway.  

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Tom Hanks and his wife are confirmed positive with COVID-19.

He was filming.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/tom-hanks-rita-wilson-australia-covid-19-coronavirus-12529350

“LOS ANGELES: Oscar-winning actor Tom Hanks and his wife, actress Rita Wilson, have both tested positive for coronavirus in Australia, the US actor said Wednesday (Mar 11).

Hanks, 63, said he and Wilson, also 63, came down with a fever while in Australia and will now be isolated and monitored. 

Hanks was in Australia reportedly filming a new movie about the life of Elvis Presley when he and Wilson tested positive for the respiratory illness.

"To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the coronavirus, and were found to be positive," he wrote in a statement posted to social media.

"We'll keep the world posted and updated," he added, along with a photo of a surgical glove placed inside a biohazard trash bag.

Hanks is the first major Hollywood star to publicly state that he has the virus that is sweeping around the world.

According to a Deadline Hollywood report, the Elvis film directed by Baz Luhrmann features Hanks as the legendary singer's longtime manager Colonel Tom Parker.”

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m not sure who had researched the asthma drugs and Covid but if you know anything or have links handy would you mind sharing again?

This was what I posted in the other thread 

ETA:

If you are referring to the asthma drug used to treat COVID, that research paper is paywalled.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

My dd18 is overseas with a group from her university. They are scheduled to return to the US with a connecting flight through Spain on Friday night. They are trying to get back on an earlier flight, before the travel ban.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is inclined to pray for their safe & timely return to the US. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 16

Just now, East Coast Sue said:

My dd18 is overseas with a group from her university. They are scheduled to return to the US with a connecting flight through Spain on Friday night. They are trying to get back on an earlier flight, before the travel ban.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is inclined to pray for their safe & timely return to the US. 

Praying.  
there is an exception for Uk so if they can’t they may be able to get home that way?  I didn’t see an exception for returning US citizens but all travel bans here have allowed that.

• Like 1

So I wasn’t already impressed with my local YMCA but this just made it worse to me-

They just sent out an email talking about what they are implementing now to help stop the spread of the virus.  They will now be cleaning the door knobs, equipment, handles and weights.  Providing disinfectant for wiping down gym equipment for members. 
So none of this was being done before?! Eww

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m not sure who had researched the asthma drugs and Covid but if you know anything or have links handy would you mind sharing again?

Found a backdoor

https://writening.net/page?FC3QPm

“Approximately 2 days after starting ciclesonide, pyrexia of 37.5 ° C or higher was not observed, oxygenation was improved, SpO2 was maintained at 95% or higher in room air, and hypoxemia during body movement was improved. The appetite was remarkably recovered, and the tube feeding was stopped, since about 1,200 kcal could be taken orally in 2/22. The whole-body feeling of fatigue was also improved, and the indoor independent walking became possible. It was judged that the symptom was improved, and SARS-CoV-2 negative was confirmed by nasal cavity wiping liquid PCR on 2/25 and 2/26 day, and the patient left hospital on 2/28. The pneumonia image was obviously improved by CT (2/27) before discharge (Fig.4). At present, inhalation of 400 μg 2 times a day is continued until the completion of the kit, and outpatient follow-up is planned.”

ETA:

The research paper in Japanese. 7 page PDF http://www.kansensho.or.jp/uploads/files/topics/2019ncov/covid19_casereport_200302_02.pdf

Edited by Arcadia
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

This was what I posted in the other thread 

ETA:

If you are referring to the asthma drug used to treat COVID, that research paper is paywalled.

No just looking for the ones that they weren’t recommending as my sis is trying to figure out whether to get bil to up the dose

34 minutes ago, Quill said:

I’m so sorry! It must be nerve wracking! I’m really worried about my parents in England. I’m so thankful that this virus seems to be sparing our children and young people!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

In our corner of the world 202 tests negative, 2 pending. I was at the doctor for something unrelated and he checked for fever, enlarged lymph nodes, coughing. I stopped by the nurse’s station, and saw their sample lab form with the COVID-19 test written in. They have masks, which they are putting out as needed so nobody walks away with the box. I was so glad when the lady coughing up a lung got one. Those under the age of 60 were spread out in the waiting room, those older were glommed together chatting. 

9 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Found a backdoor

https://writening.net/page?FC3QPm

“Approximately 2 days after starting ciclesonide, pyrexia of 37.5 ° C or higher was not observed, oxygenation was improved, SpO2 was maintained at 95% or higher in room air, and hypoxemia during body movement was improved. The appetite was remarkably recovered, and the tube feeding was stopped, since about 1,200 kcal could be taken orally in 2/22. The whole-body feeling of fatigue was also improved, and the indoor independent walking became possible. It was judged that the symptom was improved, and SARS-CoV-2 negative was confirmed by nasal cavity wiping liquid PCR on 2/25 and 2/26 day, and the patient left hospital on 2/28. The pneumonia image was obviously improved by CT (2/27) before discharge (Fig.4). At present, inhalation of 400 μg 2 times a day is continued until the completion of the kit, and outpatient follow-up is planned.”

You can buy it without a prescription here (they are a legit company -- I have used them for years):

https://www.inhousepharmacy.vu/p-1070-triohale-inhaler.aspx

ETA: This is not simply generic Alvesco/Ciclesonide. This is a combo med that also contains long acting bronchodilators (not rescue inhaler meds). 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Pen said:

Do we know they got it there rather than carrying it there from USA?

I'm not sure how long they were in Australia, but I actually assumed they got it here. Or possibly on a flight there.

Like others, I was thinking how lucky they are to be in a country with testing.

Lighter point. Me to my kid: "And now Tom Hanks and his wife have Coronavirus."
Kid: "Oh. Huh. I guess it's everywhere."
Dh: "Yeah."
Kid: "Guess Xenu didn't save him from the virus."
Dh: "No. That's Tom Cruise! Tom Hanks."
Kid: "Oh! Tom Hanks! Wait. NO! He's like, a national treasure or something. I wondered why you cared! That makes so much more sense."

• Like 8
  • Haha 14

33 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Oh, yes, let's open Pandora's box, let the virus in and let it propagate, and then close travel. Clearly a great idea... 

And it doesn't even apply to US citizens, their family members, or legal permanent residents, who are free to travel to and from Europe, and will be screened upon entry. So it's basically theater. And possibly motivated by the realization that Europe may soon ban travel from the US once we actually start testing people and see our case numbers rise dramatically.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Quill said:

Your daughter is young and will probably weather CB19 well.  She will also probably weather it fine if she had to stay in France longer than expected.

If your son who wants to go to FL is an adult he can presumably travel if he chooses to, but tell him that you dread him going, or whatever fits your reality. Tell him you would appreciate it if he doesn’t go now. 

I think

he should know your feelings accurately as part of his own decision making 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

And it doesn't even apply to US citizens, their family members, or legal permanent residents, who are free to travel to and from Europe, and will be screened upon entry. So it's basically theater. And possibly motivated by the realization that Europe may soon ban travel from the US once we actually start testing people and see our case numbers rise dramatically.

So, basically more xenophobia. Shocking.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Oh, goodness, seriously? That makes even less sense. Not that it made much sense in the first place... 

Or maybe it allows citizens a chance to get home before more strict restrictions are put in place?

Rather than people clinging to the last planes on way back...   or whatever...

and in reverse gives Europeans a chance to get back to their homes if that’s possible 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

https://abc7news.com/sports/nba-suspends-remainder-of-season-after-player-tests-positive-for-covid-19/6005163/

“The NBA has suspended its season "until further notice" after a Utah Jazz player tested positive Wednesday for the coronavirus, a move that came only hours after the majority of the league's owners were leaning toward playing games without fans in arenas.

Now there will be no games at all, at least for the time being. A person with knowledge of the situation said the Jazz player who tested positive was center Rudy Gobert. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because neither the league nor the team confirmed the presumptive positive test.”

21 minutes ago, East Coast Sue said:

It does not apply to US citizens, only foreign nationals

"In a statement following Trump’s address, Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf clarified that the administration was suspending the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in any of 26 European nations in the previous two weeks.

The restriction does not apply to legal permanent residents and immediate family members of U.S. citizens. Wolf said U.S. citizens arriving from Europe will travel through specific airports where they can undergo screening for the virus."

Edited by Corraleno

4 hours ago, mathnerd said:

I saw an Asian lady buying 8 bottles of organic olive oil at Costco and was puzzled and chalked it up to the custom of many local Asians shipping edibles to their relatives in Asia. But, now I think that hoarding olive oil is ongoing because Italian supply might be affected! Napa valley cannot keep up to national demand.

I bought Spanish Oil last week because the price of Italian Oil had risen so much

I can report, that the National Science Olympiad has cancelled the national competition scheduled in May after a number of state and regionals were cancelled during the last week. This effectively forces the remaining regional and states to follow suit. They have announced they are going to use the same slate of events for 2020-21 so that the work that students have done this year will not be in vain. 

https://www.soinc.org/play/tournaments

Edited by calbear

My opinion on Trumps address. 

-Very little specifics on the virus and the exact measures being taken by the administration regarding testing, equipment,  hospital beds, medical workers, ect.   Those are the logistics things that my brain starts worrying about.   He's totally dropped the ball on testing.   I wanted details, he gave vague ideas.

-It sounded like he blamed Europe for not putting more bans in place- weird!  I'm not sure a ban for all flights is going to be effective given the cases we already have.  An the exception for the UK?  Just weird and he did not explain why this would help.  From what I have scene, most of Europe has responded quicker than the Trump administration in regard to honesty, testing, tracking, and communicating with their citizens.

-As for the payroll tax cut- I do not think that's an efficient way to combat this.  I do think allowing people to get Unemployment if sick or caring for a loved one is a better idea.  I think giving a stipend to those on quarantine makes more sense.  Setting up free clinics for testing is another idea I'd like to see. 

- I think it felt like he was more concerned about the economy than the actual virus.  Most of his solutions were about money rather than care, mitigation, ect.

Overall, I do not feel confident in their ability to control the virus or help those impacted.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

On a lighter note, DD7 has wanted to be a virus for Purim since, like, December! Since before there was an outbreak...

We made her costume. But man... there was no way to wear it this year without seeming like an insensitive jerk making fun of a sensitive topic. And it turned out so well...

55ADB986-CB76-480D-9205-F86B55F2E045.jpeg

I think she is adorable 

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

"In a statement following Trump’s address, Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf clarified that the administration was suspending the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in any of 26 European nations in the previous two weeks.

Right -- so people who have been in the Schengen zone are banned, which seems odd.  Austria, Italy, Germany: banned.  Switzerland, ok.

I think the travel bans except citizen at least help reduce air traffic in general which I still think is a good thing ... maybe

I do think it’s maybe too late.  I suspect there’s going to be airlines that go under over this.  A lot of them seem to be already financially stressed.  And I really hope it doesn’t make it harder flying needed supplies back and forward as a lot of cargo is currently taken on passenger flights.  

as far as US people travelling to Europe I think the bans will probably go both ways soon. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, East Coast Sue said:

I will be praying for her and them

21 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

My opinion on Trumps address. 

-Very little specifics on the virus and the exact measures being taken by the administration regarding testing, equipment,  hospital beds, medical workers, ect.   Those are the logistics things that my brain starts worrying about.   He's totally dropped the ball on testing.   I wanted details, he gave vague ideas.

-It sounded like he blamed Europe for not putting more bans in place- weird!  I'm not sure a ban for all flights is going to be effective given the cases we already have.  An the exception for the UK?  Just weird and he did not explain why this would help.  From what I have scene, most of Europe has responded quicker than the Trump administration in regard to honesty, testing, tracking, and communicating with their citizens.

-As for the payroll tax cut- I do not think that's an efficient way to combat this.  I do think allowing people to get Unemployment if sick or caring for a loved one is a better idea.  I think giving a stipend to those on quarantine makes more sense.  Setting up free clinics for testing is another idea I'd like to see. 

- I think it felt like he was more concerned about the economy than the actual virus.  Most of his solutions were about money rather than care, mitigation, ect.

Overall, I do not feel confident in their ability to control the virus or help those impacted.

VP Pence and his team which includes Anthony Fauci, who I do believe, are in charge of the medical.  

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2020/03/11/episcopal-diocese-washington-closes-dozens-churches-including-national-cathedral-two-weeks/%3foutputType=amp

The Episcopal Diocese of Virginia is closing all churches. All services are cancelled as well as weekday programs and meeting and service projects. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, square_25 said:

On a lighter note, DD7 has wanted to be a virus for Purim since, like, December! Since before there was an outbreak...

We made her costume. But man... there was no way to wear it this year without seeming like an insensitive jerk making fun of a sensitive topic. And it turned out so well...

55ADB986-CB76-480D-9205-F86B55F2E045.jpeg

That’s darling!

Is coronavirus virus the Haman (is that right name?) of 2020?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2