Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Looking at some global stuff 

Worldometer had 2.5 million cases globally yesterday. 

Deaths are still trending up in South Africa although the rolling average is around 90 compared to mid 300s during the last wave.

Uk death data is all over the place presumably due to Christmas. Not a massive uptick yet.

QLD had a bit over 10,000 cases today. We had 3,707 in SA. Over 300 SA health staff positive and around 500 close contacts. 100 aged care homes in lockdown due to outbreaks. Hospitalisations up again to 144 and 16 in ICU. Two more deaths. QLD indicating a delayed start to school. No clear answer here though its likely to fall in line with the national push for normal reopening. 

• Like 1

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• Melissa Louise

14 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

2 out of 7 guys in dh’s one-room office have it.   The two who are positive are the only two vaxxed.   Just one more reason for the other guys to balk at getting vaxxed.  I’ve tried nagging, bitching and moaning… sigh.   This won’t help.  🤦🏻‍♀️😢    I’m guessing we’ll both have it by tomorrow.   😒

ARe the unvaccinated required to test? Can't help but wonder if they could have it but not know it as it seems in general those not willing to get vaccinated are also less likely to test if they have "cold symptoms". 

12 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

It's like they are so danged surprised that people might need tests during a pandemic or something. We haven't had a steady supply of inexpensive tests EVER during this thing. We haven't had easy access to PCRs with a quick return EVER during this pandemic.  We haven't had easy access to vaccines for ped doses or boosters or anything. It's just one dang train wreck after another for nearly three years. 

I shouldn't laugh, but this reminded me of my feelings about a fried chicken place in Tallahassee, years ago. The ONLY things this place served were a chicken finger basket (chicken fingers and fries) or a chicken finger sandwhich (same chicken fingers, but on a bun) also served with fries. And yet the service was SOOOOOOO slow EVERY Time. I couldn't figure how they couldn't predict that hey, people might want something with chicken fingers and fries so probably should keep making those. Each time seemed like a surprise to them. 

My guess is they were all stoned, and I'd have stopped going but it was the BEST chicken fingers and fries in the world - especially the fries - so I put up with the clueless service. 

Anyway, maybe the workers there finally graduated and now work for the health departments or other government offices dealing with Covid. 

12 hours ago, TexasProud said:

I never felt bad after any of the shots.  I just don’t like medicine. I cannot do pain meds and other than vitamins don’t do anything other than advil once or twice a year.  I just don’t like the idea of chemicals in me so much.  At this point, if I am going to die, I will die. 

I mean, EVERYTHING is a chemical, and there are only so many molecules out there. Be it a carrot or a pain pill. Being man made doesn't make something inherently worse for you than something natural. Heck, hemlock is natural, but not good for you. Vaccines are man made, but good for you. 

I just can't imagine saying that a vaccine that doesn't even make you feel bad is a worse option than dying terribly from a horrid disease, just because the vaccine is a "chemical" . 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I mean, EVERYTHING is a chemical, and there are only so many molecules out there. Be it a carrot or a pain pill. Being man made doesn't make something inherently worse for you than something natural. Heck, hemlock is natural, but not good for you. Vaccines are man made, but good for you. 

Yeah. Just look at the ingredients in things we use every day - makeup, shampoo, and sunscreen, for example, usually have lots of ingredients. I don't know what any of them are, but I do know that I put them on my skin and skin is really good at absorbing things. I don't know why the weird ingredients in a vaccine are any worse than the weird ingredients in makeup. For all I know, they're equally toxic (or not toxic). I'd have to do a side-by-side comparison. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you. This exactly. I get so tired of the talk about avoiding things that are "chemicals", or aren't "natural," as if being "natural" equaled being safe. (Not aiming this at you, @TexasProud, just a pet peeve.)

Vaccines are better than Covid. I'll be in line as soon as another is recommended.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

I just can't imagine saying that a vaccine that doesn't even make you feel bad is a worse option than dying terribly from a horrid disease, just because the vaccine is a "chemical" . 

This is one of my pet peeves and a point I make sure to go over with all the science classes I teach. 

And yeah, the worst toxins known are "natural".

image.thumb.png.5694638380cad8949a782cb2a1ea31e0.png

image.thumb.png.4211f2b60ea44cb0e7a8d7b78929bcf5.png

image.thumb.png.badc933998550a3af447f8e732f59bea.png

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

ARe the unvaccinated required to test? Can't help but wonder if they could have it but not know it as it seems in general those not willing to get vaccinated are also less likely to test if they have "cold symptoms". 

I shouldn't laugh, but this reminded me of my feelings about a fried chicken place in Tallahassee, years ago. The ONLY things this place served were a chicken finger basket (chicken fingers and fries) or a chicken finger sandwhich (same chicken fingers, but on a bun) also served with fries. And yet the service was SOOOOOOO slow EVERY Time. I couldn't figure how they couldn't predict that hey, people might want something with chicken fingers and fries so probably should keep making those. Each time seemed like a surprise to them. 

My guess is they were all stoned, and I'd have stopped going but it was the BEST chicken fingers and fries in the world - especially the fries - so I put up with the clueless service. 

Guthrie's? 😄

A friend of my youngest son is one of the people clearing up problems so that the rapid tests can travel. He works about 80 hours per week and gets up in the wee hours of the night if necessary so that the trucks can move. He opted to work both Christmas Day and NYE because he thinks it’s important. Solving these problems is not as easy as it might appear.

Paxlovid is going to have the same problem. Not difficult to make but likely will have supply chain problems.

• Like 7

I understand the logistics end of it, but I think, like masks, we should be using the defense production act to generate many many many more units. To do so, we would need to guarantee regular purchases from companies so that they would invest in expanding their production lines, and we haven’t done so. We continue to be underreactive rather than proactive.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I understand the logistics end of it, but I think, like masks, we should be using the defense production act to generate many many many more units. To do so, we would need to guarantee regular purchases from companies so that they would invest in expanding their production lines, and we haven’t done so. We continue to be underreactive rather than proactive.

I agree but they cannot even hire the people in the US to do the work. It's how my son's friend got his job (he is from Mexico). He went from washing dishes at a restaurant and stocking grocery shelves to working at this company and then getting promoted in two months. Normally his company would not have hired him because he doesn't have a college degree. His company just cannot hire people who will work. Pay and benefits are great, people are great. So somehow, we'd have to get people who will do the work.

On top of that, we also cannot reliably get the necessary supplies from elsewhere in the world. If something normally comes from India and they are short staffed, then it will arrive here late, and there is not much we can do about it.

It's a frustrating mess for sure, and I think our politicians should be doing a lot more than fighting each other.

Edited by BeachGal

If this omicron variant is so contagious, what happens if several people in a small office gets it?   Does the whole office go test?   Keep working?     What if they're not all showing symptoms?   What if the ones who show symptoms have very mild symptoms?      This company has people working whose spouses are sick with covid.    Thoughts? 

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

When we were selling our handmade soap people always wanted reassurance that it was chemical-free. 

I’d just say, “That would be a little challenging considering how H2O is a chemical.” Not everyone was capable of understanding that. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, KeriJ said:

Guthrie's? 😄

Yes! Man I miss those fries....No where else is the same. 

I also miss Bud's Chicken and Seafood in Lake Park, Florida. Best hush puppies everywhere. 

Edited - CORN FRITTERS! I meant to say Bud's has the best corn fritters, not hush puppies. Those are fine, but the corn fritters are to die for. Slightly sweet deep fried corn bread basically. (can't find the strike through option to fix the above reference)

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you SO much for making fun of me. As I mentioned, I have gotten THREE shots. I WILL get a yearly shot for this vaccine like I do for the flu. I just don't want one every three months. 

When you and the other poster respond to me like that it makes me feel stupid and really, really sorry I shared how I felt.  PLEASE do not respond to me ANYONE if you feel like you have to tell me why you have to share truth with me.  I AM SO SICK OF BEING TOLD MY FEELINGS ARE STUPID.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

47 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

A study published in Science yesterday looked at excess deaths in India and estimated that the true covid death toll was around 3.2 million:
 https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abm5154?utm_campaign=SciMag&utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Facebook

I don’t doubt that at all. It seems like the majority of people I know with parents in India have lost one to Covid in the past year 😢, including a big surge of that happening again right now. 

• Sad 1

On 1/6/2022 at 12:16 AM, vonfirmath said:

Where do you get the 1 in 4 adults could not return to work for 6 months? We've had quite a bit of COVID at my workplace (different waves over the last 18 months) and everyone has come back after recovery. So this stat seems very out of touch. Or like it might apply in some subset of audience that has been lost.

The ScienceDirect meta-analytical research I quoted in the article. Obviously, both its research and your observations will be samples, and since it is likely different people were involved, a different result is always possible (after all, nobody is an exact average human in all aspects, and there's a limit as to what degree a given sample size can be assumed to reflect a global average.

1 in 8 NHS trusts in England are in "critical incident" mode - which means they cannot guarantee a comprehensive service due to undue pressures on them (in these cases, staff absences due to COVID). Others are watching and waiting as cases and admissions start to rise. 1800 soldiers are assisting the NHS at the moment (with things like deliveries and marshalling at test sites), but there's a limit to what they can do to help, of course.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Thank you SO much for making fun of me. As I mentioned, I have gotten THREE shots. I WILL get a yearly shot for this vaccine like I do for the flu. I just don't want one every three months. 

When you and the other poster respond to me like that it makes me feel stupid and really, really sorry I shared how I felt.  PLEASE do not respond to me ANYONE if you feel like you have to tell me why you have to share truth with me.  I AM SO SICK OF BEING TOLD MY FEELINGS ARE STUPID.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to make fun of you, but I can see how it came across that way. I'm exhausted and really stressed out right now and not choosing my words well. I only wanted to convey the thought that just because it is a man made chemical doesn't make it worse than the very natural disease itself. And I like you, and i know you have a high risk mom, as do I, so in my not very delicate way wanted to push for you to be safe, for yourself and her, given that the shot itself didn't make you sick. I just sort of ran on from there into a vent in general, not aimed at you, at the bias agains man made, and the idea that "chemicals' are bad.

(I just accidentally bought a $45 bottle of dog shampoo (no price on it, didn't realize until DH paid for it) that was pushed on me as "chemical free" which is such a bogus claim it makes me angry I bought it...although darn it it DOES work really well, lol. But $45?! And a misleading claim of chemical free..may have made me touchy about that phrasing)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

CDC Facebook post

“New CDC Study: Children and teens 18 years and younger who have had COVID-19 are up to 2.5 times more likely to be newly diagnosed with diabetes after infection. Preventing COVID-19 among children and teens is important to slow the spread and protect them from other possible effects of the disease. Learn more: bit.ly/MMWR7102e2.”

ETA: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7102e2.htm?s_cid=mm7102e2_w

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 11

43 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

CDC Facebook post

“New CDC Study: Children and teens 18 years and younger who have had COVID-19 are up to 2.5 times more likely to be newly diagnosed with diabetes after infection. Preventing COVID-19 among children and teens is important to slow the spread and protect them from other possible effects of the disease. Learn more: bit.ly/MMWR7102e2.”

ETA: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7102e2.htm?s_cid=mm7102e2_w

This has been true with influenza and other viral diseases. Influenza can grow within the pancreas and trigger an immunoresponse causing diabetes.  There's about a 2 fold risk for T1D after influenza for a period of time.

Anecdotally, post-influenza triggering is how two of my extended family members ended up with T1D as young teens. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 7

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This has been true with influenza and other viral diseases. Influenza can grow within the pancreas and trigger an immunoresponse causing diabetes.  There's about a 2 fold risk for T1D after influenza for a period of time.

Anecdotally, post-influenza triggering is how two of my extended family members ended up with T1D as young teens. 

I recently learned about both this fact and that a relative of mine likely has T1D as a result of the flu as well.

Flu is terrible!

• Sad 7

22 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Weird question, but is smelling mothballs a symptom?  I swear I smell mothballs.  🤷🏻‍♀️

Everything is a symptom of covid 😫

I do not want to make light of covid, but this is a running joke my DD and I have been having for 1.75 years now...

Edited by Longtime Lurker
more appropriate emoji
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The comments were interesting, too. I do think it’s an interesting indicator of prevalence—since so many will not get tested or can’t access testing. 

One comment was that this “trend” is being manufactured for the purpose of being dismissive of COVID hospitalizations. Really?? I’m getting really tired of seeing that response for several reasons. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m wondering how many of those are people who contracted Covid while already hospitalized for something else. Which is a big problem with it happening at that rate as well.  Because population prevalence doesn’t seem to explain that. It really doesn’t make sense that almost half of New York is currently Covid positive.

1 hour ago, popmom said:

The comments were interesting, too. I do think it’s an interesting indicator of prevalence—since so many will not get tested or can’t access testing. 

One comment was that this “trend” is being manufactured for the purpose of being dismissive of COVID hospitalizations. Really?? I’m getting really tired of seeing that response for several reasons. 

Perhaps you haven’t heard people do that, but it is a thing that some people are doing. They say, “oh, those are people who are hospitalized with covid not for covid” with the implication that it then isn’t relevant and that the statistics are being blown out of proportion. It’s a recycling of the earlier pandemic thing of saying people were dying with covid, not of covid. 

2 hours ago, KSera said:

I’m wondering how many of those are people who contracted Covid while already hospitalized for something else. Which is a big problem with it happening at that rate as well.  Because population prevalence doesn’t seem to explain that. It really doesn’t make sense that almost half of New York is currently Covid positive.

Perhaps you haven’t heard people do that, but it is a thing that some people are doing. They say, “oh, those are people who are hospitalized with covid not for covid” with the implication that it then isn’t relevant and that the statistics are being blown out of proportion. It’s a recycling of the earlier pandemic thing of saying people were dying with covid, not of covid. 

I don’t care what other people are doing/saying. I want clean data. The powers that be should withhold pertinent data because the public can’t be trusted to not say stupid stuff? Lots of people have been saying and doing stupid stuff this entire pandemic. I’m very weary of that reasoning. 

ETA:  I fight the stupidity where I find it. I’ve been doing that since March 2020 when so many were spouting nonsense that “this is no worse than the flu, people!”. Do y’all think I’m dumb?

Edited by popmom
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, popmom said:

I don’t care what other people are doing. I want clean data. The powers that be should withhold pertinent data because the public can’t be trusted to not say stupid stuff? Lots of people have been saying and doing stupid stuff this entire pandemic.

I think it’s probably hard to be perfectly clean with data like this. Because as mentioned in the comments section someone coming in with heart issues or stroke etc may just be coming in with that or they may be coming in with Covid and the covid caused that or the covid is just incidental. So the people logging the admissions are having to make subjective decisions.  Probably a more useful statistic is increase in hospitalisations.  Do we have the same number as we had a month ago and some of them just happen to be covid positive. Or do we have an overall increase? How does that increase compare to the typical fluctuation at this time of the year? Does it seem to be impacting one demographic more than others?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think it’s probably hard to be perfectly clean with data like this. Because as mentioned in the comments section someone coming in with heart issues or stroke etc may just be coming in with that or they may be coming in with Covid and the covid caused that or the covid is just incidental. So the people logging the admissions are having to make subjective decisions.  Probably a more useful statistic is increase in hospitalisations.  Do we have the same number as we had a month ago and some of them just happen to be covid positive. Or do we have an overall increase? How does that increase compare to the typical fluctuation at this time of the year? Does it seem to be impacting one demographic more than others?

Well, of course it’s not going to be perfectly clean. But you can’t tell me they weren’t already making these distinctions before Omicron. It really shouldn’t be that difficult. It doesn’t have to be just with or for. There needs to be a third category that is “COVID causal factor” that distinguishes those cases from say someone coming in for surgery for a broken bone or had to be admitted for complications due to a colonoscopy. As I said, I’m sure they are doing this already. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, popmom said:

Well, of course it’s not going to be perfectly clean. It’s messy for sure, but you can’t tell me they weren’t already making these distinctions before Omicron. It really shouldn’t be that difficult. It doesn’t have to be just with or for. There needs to be a third category that is “COVID causal factor” that distinguishes those cases from say someone coming in for surgery for a broken bone, or had to be admitted for complications of a colonoscopy. As I said, I’m sure they are doing this already. 

Here no one is counted as covid if primary causes for admission is trauma

• Like 1

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

Here no one is counted as covid if primary causes for admission is trauma

That’s good. That’s not the case everywhere. Our Childrens Hospital was lumping them all together during Delta, but they also reported the categories separately. 

27 minutes ago, popmom said:

I don’t care what other people are doing/saying. I want clean data. The powers that be should withhold pertinent data because the public can’t be trusted to not say stupid stuff? Lots of people have been saying and doing stupid stuff this entire pandemic. I very weary of that reasoning. 

ETA:  I fight the stupidity where I find it. I’ve been doing that since March 2020 when so many were spouting nonsense that “this is no worse than the flu, people!”. Do y’all think I’m dumb?

I'm not sure if this is directed back at me or what, but am confused because I haven't heard anyone suggesting data should be withheld. Stating that people are using some of these statistics to downplay things, as they have all along, isn't in any way saying that the statistics shouldn't be collected or shared. I have no idea where the "do y'all think I'm dumb" stuff is coming from 🤷‍♀️.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KSera said:

I'm not sure if this is directed back at me or what, but am confused because I haven't heard anyone suggesting data should be withheld. Stating that people are using some of these statistics to downplay things, as they have all along, isn't in any way saying that the statistics shouldn't be collected or shared. I have no idea where the "do y'all think I'm dumb" stuff is coming from 🤷‍♀️.

That was in response to …

45 minutes ago, KSera said:

I literally JUST SAID I’m weary of hearing this exact thing. Why did you say that to me? “Perhaps you haven’t heard…”

If you didn’t mean to insinuate I’m dumb, then you think I live under a rock? There’s something idk, condescending?? behind these types of comments that I can’t put my finger on. 

Good night.

Edited by popmom

46 minutes ago, popmom said:

I don’t care what other people are doing/saying. I want clean data. The powers that be should withhold pertinent data because the public can’t be trusted to not say stupid stuff? Lots of people have been saying and doing stupid stuff this entire pandemic. I very weary of that reasoning. 

As someone who works with data for a living, having clean data is never, ever remotely as easy people think it is. It’s not an insult or a judgement on people’s intelligence. Even most people within my company who don’t regularly work with data, but use it to inform decisions, don’t really get it. Experience is the hard teacher when it comes to big data.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, popmom said:

I will say that when I read this I didn’t really understand what you were saying, so maybe Ksera was similarly confused.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, popmom said:

That was in response to …

I literally JUST SAID I’m weary of hearing this exact thing. Why did you say that to me? “Perhaps you haven’t heard…”

If you didn’t mean to insinuate I’m dumb, then you think I live under a rock? There’s something idk, condescending?? behind these types of comments that I can’t put my finger on. 

Good night.

I'm sorry. I misunderstood what you meant by your comment. I thought you were saying you were tired of people saying that people were using it that way. I read it differently than you apparently meant it.

• Thanks 1

I left a week ago for a short break (at an empty house, we took our own food) and had a blissful covid-free week. Have returned to so many cases in our town. It's just incredible how one week can make such a difference. From not knowing anyone with covid locally to knowing quite a few! And it's back to work on Monday . . . booster scheduled this week at least. Oh, and I told my husband that I'd booked the kids for vax on Monday, and he was fine with it. I even went ahead and booked his booster and he was ok. I think he was a bit shocked by the young man - double-vaxxed - who died this week. What a terrible loss. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KSera said:

I'm sorry. I misunderstood what you meant by your comment. I thought you were saying you were tired of people saying that people were using it that way. I read it differently than you apparently meant it.

When I reread this I giggled because now I’m confused. 😂

What I’m tired of is every single time someone brings up the subject of “with” “for”, someone feels compelled to say something along the lines of what you said

2 hours ago, KSera said:

They say, “oh, those are people who are hospitalized with covid not for covid” with the implication that it then isn’t relevant and that the statistics are being blown out of proportion. It’s a recycling of the earlier pandemic thing of saying people were dying with covid, not of covid. 

or “I fear that when people see these statistics that they will use it to downplay the seriousness of COVID”

or “the conspiracy theorists are just going to use this to further their agenda”.

or as Pam stated in the other thread, “ I'm afraid it's becoming YET ANOTHER talking point that minimizes the magnitude of current conditions and/or (and worse) feeds into the conspiracy theory that HCW are intentionally overstating…”

I think every single time this issue gets brought up, someone says this. I’m really curious why seeing this type of data released is triggering this script in so many people—not talking about this board specifically.

I suspect that some (not saying this is any of y’all) some care more about a certain narrative than they do facts. I mean I KNOW the conspiracy theorists care more about narrative than facts. I’m rambling now—I’m sorry. I just don’t think this topic requires a disclaimer EVERY TIME it’s brought up. I hear you! I agree! I just want the data.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Deleted your comment 

I appreciate you. I’m really, truly grateful for all the info you share here. Sincerely.
You say that’s how it’s been used over and over again… okay. Sure. Why constantly belabor that? 

Who on this board has minimized anything based on this data? Looking for good news is not equal to minimizing anything. And it’s not all even good news.

So far it doesn’t sound like your federal government or mine has paid much attention to the conspiracy theorists in forming policy—thankfully and understandably. I personally (feel free to disagree) feel like some are ascribing way more power to conspiracy theorists than they actually have. I mean they ARE an easy target to blame if your government decides to implement policy you don’t agree with, but I believe that’s misplaced. And yes I’m making a few assumptions here that will get backlash, and/or I’m not seeing the whole picture. That’s okay. I’m just expressing some impressions I have as someone who finds herself often playing devils advocate. 

When the weather warms up, I’ll find a better hobby. 😉

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, popmom said:

I wonder how many of those incidental COVID cases were contracted in the ER or in the hospital. Especially in more general hospitals that don’t have specialized units, so an intubated COVID patient might be the room down and share staff with someone intubated for a different reason. I am praying that my mother’s vaccination and booster is enough to protect her from the almost inevitable exposure in the hospital, even being in a trauma specific building. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

A dear friend is seeking emergency care because she can't breathe and is Covid positive (second time around for her). She's vaxed/boosted but has risk factors. Her previous case was before the vaccine; she's not a front-line HCW, but she works in a related field with lots of exposure and has been careful outside work in order to not become a vector to the people she works with/for.

ETA: Our area has had high Delta cases, and I am not sure if that's changed, or if my friend has Omicron. 

Edited by kbutton
  • Sad 13